The ‘full service‘ team at Borenius is known for its strength in advising suppliers, Finnish corporates and banks on ICT transactions, especially in the healthcare, media and financial sectors; it also covers high-value telecoms regulatory work. Practice co-leader Samuli Simojoki has ‘truly world-class commercial awareness in TMT’, with specific expertise in advising clients active in the energy and healthcare arenas. He works alongside co-leader Erkko Korhonen, who ‘offers customer-specific solution-oriented services‘ on technology transactions, as well as carve-outs and separation arrangements. Counsel Henriikka Piekkala focuses on competition law and TMT issues in regulated markets.
TMT in Finland
Erkko Korhonen; Samuli Simojoki
Other key lawyers:
‘Customer oriented and highly flexible approach. Willingness to always serve the client in any advisory/other matter.’
‘Erkko Korhonen is always easy and fun to work with and he offers customer-specific solution-oriented services with great flexibility and skills.’
‘The team really understands tech sector business drivers and we have been impressed with their technical understanding especially in telecoms related matters. They are one of the few “full service” TMT teams in Finland (rather than just a glorified data protection & IPR practice). Senior lawyers are very hands-on which is a must have for us.’
‘Samuli Simojoki who heads the team has truly world-class commercial awareness in TMT field and is very solution oriented. Henriikka Piekkala is no doubt the best telecoms lawyer in any Finnish law firm. New partner Erkko Korhonen is a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team at Borenius has served us exceptionally well throughout our journey from our first VC funding round (Series A) through Series B, debt financing, and Series C and two acquisitions we have made. They have always pointed us to the appropriate partner and associates with the best expertise, while ensuring continuity and overall coordination.’
‘We continue to receive great support from our partner Samuli Simojoki.’
‘Exceptional capability to provide concrete recommendations based on a deep combination of (i) understanding of legal context, and (ii) customer’s business. I’ve worked with lot of great legal professionals who do not truly understand customer’s business – with Borenius it’s different, they do understand us.’
Nanoform Finland plc
Kansaneläkelaitos – The Social Insurance Institution of Finland
HUS – The Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa
Valo Therapeutics Ltd
Accountor Group Oy
City of Espoo
- Advised Tomorrow Tech Oy, and leading Finnish banks OP Financial Group, Danske Bank, Aktia Bank and S-Bank, on the sale of the majority stake in Digitaalinen Asuntokauppa DIAS Oy to Alma Media plc.
- Advised Fingrid plc on an ongoing ICT procurement project with CGI to set up a national Datahub for the electricity market in Finland.
- Advised the City of Espoo on data protection and data security aspects pertaining to the procurement of a new data management system, as well as questions relating to the novel national legislation concerning secondary use of patient data, in addition to issues pertaining to the proposed social and healthcare reform in Finland.
The ‘very flexible and business-oriented‘ team at Castrén & Snellman advises on complex IT outsourcing and cross-border procurement projects, as well as data protection, regulatory and IT dispute resolution and arbitration matters. Its clients include major operators in the banking and finance, energy, and media sectors, as well as government bodies and technology start-ups. Additionally, the team is particularly noted for its work in data protection-related litigation in the administrative, civil and criminal courts. Practice co-heads Pia Ek and Eija Warma-Lehtinen are both highly regarded for their work on digital transfer and outsourcing projects.
Pia Ek; Eija Warma-Lehtinen
‘Strong lead from Eija Warma-Lehtinen, delivering very practical advice in complex situations. Good mix (legal/tech) in team.’
‘Eija Warma-Lehtinen is excellent in giving to-the-point advice without huge legal jargon.’
‘A variety of competences that are combined in customer cases. Availability of the primary contact person.’
‘Analytical but still practical approach.’
‘Team which handle data protection issues is very flexible and business-oriented. Co-operation is smooth and team is also able to get quick results if needed.’
‘Partner Eija Warma-Lehtinen is always available if needed and her experience from the Office of the Data Protection Officer makes her unique.’
‘Pia Ek is very skilful and capable to combine IT contract to public procurement.‘
Tulli (Finnish customs)
Wing Aviation LLC
Suomen kuntaliitto (Association of Finnish municipalities)
Suomen Itsenäisyyden Juhlarahasto (The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra)
Oral Hammaslääkärit Oyj
Oy Apotti Ab
Suomen Keskinäinen Potilasvakuutusyhtiö
- Advised OP Financial Group on expanding its outsourced ICT and digital services delivery in partnership with CGI.
- Assisted the Norwegian Schibsted group with a transaction where Schibsted Nordic Marketplaces AS purchased the entire share capital of Oikotie Ltd from the Sanoma media group at an enterprise value of €185m.
- Assisted the Finnish Innovation Fund by conducting a legal study on opportunities to pilot the use of payment terminals to verify data on corona vaccines.
Dittmar & Indrenius is known for its strength in data protection work, especially related to healthcare data projects; it also covers technology-intensive assignments for international clients, as well as day-to-day GDPR compliance and enforcement issues, due diligence and data transfers. Data protection team head Jukka Lång is an expert in cybersecurity and data protection matters, while the head of technology team Anna Haapanen is dual-qualified in Finland and New York; she is particularly strong in technology-related transactions. Newly-appointed head of the life sciences and healthcare team Juli Mansnérus joined from Hannes Snellman in August 2021; she is highly experienced in advising on the commercialisation of biotechnology medicine.
Anna Haapanen; Jukka Lång; Juli Mansnérus
‘The team has excellent abilities to understand and interpret complex issues that are a combination of practical issues in an international law context. They have probably the best up-to-date understanding of current legal developments as well as great practical experience. What I admire the most is the team’s spirit and skills to identify and resolve relevant issues in complex sets. In fact, the team could identify our issues and define the needed actions better than we did. Coming from a very busy in-house legal world, this is something to remember when it is the time to pay the bills.’
‘Jukka Lång is one of the best professionals in his field of expertise, and yet he remains as a very humble and nice person. Jukka is fun to work with and he takes great care of his clientele. He always has the most recent up-to-date know-how of data protection legal development.’
‘A growing and eager TMT team is always an asset for a client.’
‘Juli Mansnérus is able to combine her academic background with business acumen.’
‘One of the select few most outstanding Privacy Law teams in Finland.’
‘Professionalism, substance matter expertise, accessibility.’
‘The people I have worked with are extremely talented in communication & teams skills and deliver every time over the expected outcomes. They are innovative, understand the phenomena around us and the different factors that influence in their work and the work they do with us. I give specific thanks for Juli Mansnérus in working with me. Many thanks Juli!’
Helvar Oy Ab
Nordic Investment Bank (NIB)
Sweco Finland Oy
Veho Oy Ab
- Supported Garmin Ltd and its subsidiary Firstbeat Analytics Oy in analysing the highly complex data protection aspects related to the processing of physiological data on employees in connection with the development of wellness analytics technologies.
- Provided tailored legal advice for both day-to-day matters as well as at a strategic decision making level to Kivra, the Nordic unicorn company providing digital mailboxes.
- Provided strategic advice to Cargotec on data privacy and transactional matters in relation to the sale of Cargotec’s Navis business to technology investment firm Accel-KKR for an estimated valuation of €380m.
HPP Attorneys advises on the full range of TMT matters, including major financings, dispute resolution and regulatory compliance matters. Clients include broadband and telecoms companies, Finnish financial institutions, and international technology corporates. The group has recently seen growth in data protection and data security mandates. Practice co-head Kari-Matti Lehti has ‘deep expertise in IT contracts and IT law‘, especially outsourcings and data protection law. He works alongside co-head Pekka Raatikainen, who is an expert in procurement, regulatory and licensing issues.
Kari-Matti Lehti; Pekka Raatikainen
‘Kari-Matti Lehti is a very practical and approachable professional with deep expertise in IT contracts and IT law.’
HiQ Finland Oy
Esri Finland Oy
Mortgage Society of Finland
Finnish Medicine Verification Organisation
- Advised CGI on the outsourcing arrangement where OP Financial Group expanded its outsourced ICT and digital services delivery partnership with CGI.
Roschier provides a wide range of advice in the TMT sector, including handling complex regulatory and compliance work, as well as technology-related disputes across multiple jurisdictions. TMT and outsourcing head Arto Linnervuo is ‘extremely knowledgeable about technology-related topics‘, especially in IT and industrial outsourcing matters, data protection work and telecoms regulations. Johanna Lilja leads the data protection practice and covers GDPR compliance work and cross-border data transfers. Miikka Konttinen is ‘very knowledgeable and practical‘ in the TMT sector, often advising energy and industrial companies on high-profile assignments, while managing partner Mikko Manner focuses on TMT commercialisation and licensing agreements. Manner also has extensive contentious and transactional experience. Senior associate Emma Swahne joined from Hannes Snellman in early 2022.
Arto Linnervuo; Johanna Lilja
Other key lawyers:
Miikka Konttinen; Mikko Manner; Maiju Klemola; Emma Swahne
‘The team is well aware of the market practice that develops at a fast pace in TMT sector. As Roschier has a good dispute resolution practice, too, they get insights into what can possibly go wrong in big IT outsourcing or project contracts, and leverage that knowledge when advising their clients in contract work.’
‘Miika Konttinen is very knowledgeable and practical.’
‘Roschier’s TMT practice and the teams led by both partners Arto Linnervuo and Miikka Konttinen are extremely knowledgeable about technology-related topics and collaboration with them has been effortless and extremely efficient in both smaller and larger engagements.’
‘Overall, I would say that the individuals at Roschier’s TMT practice, who I’ve had the pleasure of working with, have all been extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They all have been quick to understand any issues presented to them and have provided clear and quick advice.’
‘Arto Linnervuo’s unparalleled knowledge of the legal tech space and multiple years’ of experience shows in his work and makes him stand out. Arto has been a trusted adviser of my company’s IT function for a long time, which makes working with him easier, as he has the background knowledge of our company to get up-to speed and provide advice quickly.’
‘Miikka Konttinen’s previous experience as an in-house counsel gives him a better view of a company’s inner workings, as well as the challenges in-house counsels face in their jobs. This allows Miikka to give more nuanced advice, taking into account more than just the legal side of an issue. Furthermore, Miikka’s specialist knowledge of licensing related matters has proven invaluable in cases where we’ve worked with him.’
‘I’ve worked with Maiju Klemola on multiple different matters, large and small. Maiju’s knowledge of the technology sector and related legal issues is extensive. When necessary, she has been able to provide advice in a very short time without compromising on quality. Maiju’s ability to provide on-the-spot advice and her case management skills have helped us immensely.’
‘Emma Swahne is definitely a future partner, excellent individual in the field of data protection and ready to walk the extra mile for the benefit of the customer.’
Epic Systems Corporation
Bauer Media Finland Oy
Quest Diagnostics Inc.
- Advised Mobidiag Ltd., a commercial stage molecular diagnostics company, on various technology commercialisation, licensing, and data protection matters.
- Advised Metso Corporation (currently Metso Outotec) on major IT projects including a global IT outsourcing deal as well as software licensing and cloud procurements.
- Advised Fortum Corporation on an IT outsourcing deal covering public cloud management as well as application maintenance services for several hundreds of business-critical applications.
The Helsinki team at Bird & Bird is linked up to a global network of offices, allowing it to ‘consistently provide clear, pragmatic advice‘ on multi-jurisdictional TMT matters, including international data protection and privacy work and IT system implementation programmes. It also has niche expertise in advising clients in the healthcare and automotive industries on financial arrangements. Practice head Sakari Halonen covers complex IT outsourcing and M&A transactions. Tobias Bräutigam is a key contact regarding global strategic data protection matters. Lasse Riski departed to Hannes Snellman in 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have worked with Bird & Bird for many years. They understand what we do well, listen to what we need and consistently provide clear, pragmatic advice grounded in a business context. Everyone is dedicated to providing a very high quality service and to making us feel valued as a client. We have many successful transactions behind us and look forward to working together on many more in the future.’
‘Sakari Halonen is excellent – a very commercially astute lawyer who understands our market, our business and us. He is focused on finding solutions and does what it takes to close the transaction in a good way. It is always a pleasure to work with him.’
‘Excellent and pragmatic advice. When we have an emergency they always are there for us.’
‘Sakari Halonen and Tobias Bräutigam need to be mentioned in particular.’
Capgemini Group (Capgemini Finland Oy)
Cerner Corporation (Cerner Ireland Limited)
DXC (DXC Technology Finland Oy)
Nordic Morning Group Oyj
Edita Prima Oy
Profit Software Oy
Sogeti Finland Oy
HPE (Hewlett-Packard Oy)
- Acted as the external general counsel for Capgemini Group in respect of its businesses and dealings in Finland as well as otherwise under the laws of Finland ranging from IT outsourcing transactions to various matters involving privacy advice, including advice on data retention and negotiation of various data processing agreements.
- Advised Cerner Ireland Ltd on the large-scale public procurement tender process, where Cerner was chosen (by the Central Finland Hospital District, as the lead authority) as the provider of a patient data system to four hospital districts throughout Finland.
- Advised Edita Prima on matters ranging from outsourcing transactions to various software and services agreements, as well as reseller arrangements involving privacy advice, including advice on data retention and negotiation of various data processing agreements.
The ‘flexible‘ and ‘customer-centric’ TMT team at Hannes Snellman regularly advises on high-profile technology transactions, especially related to heavily regulated and technology dependent sectors. It also is a key resource for IT disputes and advice on distressed IT projects, and collaborates with international law firms on Finnish tech-intensive M&A work. Practice co-heads Jesper Nevalainen and Panu Siitonen focus on complex technology transactions and IT-related litigation, respectively, and Lasse Riski joined in 2022 from Bird & Bird.
Jesper Nevalainen; Panu Siitonen
Other key lawyers:
‘Hannes Snellman is very customer-centric law firm.’
‘Jesper Nevalainen has strong experience in TMT agreements. He gives good guidance to his customers.’
‘We appreciate especially flexible approach tailored for customer’s needs as well as very talented individuals within the team.’
‘Team lead Jesper Nevalainen, besides having excellent talent within his area of expertise, has the eye for pragmatic and customer-oriented approach. It is enjoyable to work with him.’
‘Strong background in IT-related matters.’
‘Jesper Nevalainen is an experienced lawyer with a practical and forward-looking mindset.’
Microsoft Corporation (incl. Microsoft Oy and other group companies)
Smartly.io Solutions Oy
Oy Karl Fazer Ab
Telia Finland Oyj
Instru Optiikka Oy
Suomen UNICEF ry
SAP Finland Oy and SAP SE
Oy IBM Finland Ab
- Advised YIT on all IT contracts in connection with the carve-out of its paving and minerals business (that was subsequently sold to Peab AB).
- Advised Saga Furs with the procurement of its new ERP system. The system was procured from CGI as a cloud-based ERP solution.
- Advised Abbott Oy and its affiliate Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. on complex data protection matters concerning a cloud solution (LibreView) for healthcare professionals (public and private) and patients used for monitoring and measuring glucose levels of diabetics.
TMT boutique Inventio Attorneys has a ‘deep understanding of the ICT landscape‘, including handling IT-related transactions, disputes, and outsourcing arrangements, especially for clients in the fintech sector. Clients include both Finnish and international players in the software, consumer goods, and industrial manufacturing and energy sectors. Practice head Topi Lusenius covers both contentious and non-contentious TMT-related matters, including outsourcing and data protection issues.
‘Inventio has a team with very good knowledge of IT standards and IT market, deep understanding of risks, benefits and pitfalls of IT outsourcing and ability to utilise that knowledge in creating good contracts, choosing a suitable negotiation approach and supporting us with always beneficial advice. They are also very flexible and able to act even on the last minute arrangements and still deliver very high quality service.’
‘Topi Lusenius works fast, efficiently and, despite the fact that IT / IT law is very specific area, has ability to communicate very clearly with different stakeholders which allows us to feel very comfortable when cooperating. He has a very structured way of working. His knowledge of the new trends and approach to IT services and software deliveries is always up-to date. And most of all- Topi is extremely good in “translating” client’s needs into contractual terms, he is very thorough, pro-active and forward thinking. He is also very talented negotiator, being able to lead the meetings in highly professional and fruitful manner, he is always appreciated by all the sides of the negotiation table.’
‘Deep understanding of the ICT landscape combined with good knowledge about business in the financial sector is unique to Inventio Attorneys. They also always provide what they promise and usually deliver earlier than they anticipate. Inventio consults both buyers and sellers which is extremely valuable for us buyers.’
‘Topi Lusenius is our main partner. He is fast, intelligent and really good with people. His ability to negotiate and draft contracts in-flight is phenomenal and speeds up the process tremendously saving us huge pile of money by decreasing the working effort for contract negotiations. He also understands our worries and goals really quickly and is able to suggest wordings in contracts that enables us to find a mutual solution and keeps our position.’
Savings Bank Group
Pharmaceutical Information Centre
Houston Inc. Consulting
- Advised Savings Banks Group and certain other Finnish banks on the procurement of AML, Fraud Management and Sanction Screening solutions and associated services from a global ICT vendor.
- Advised Lowell on a major ICT deal.
- Advised Puuilo on its acquisition of a new ERP solution from CGI.
The ‘highly skilled‘ team at Krogerus is jointly lead by Kalle Hynönen and Mika Puittinen, who are experts in providing the full range of TMT advice to large Finnish companies. Juha-Pekka Katainen remains a highly regarded expert in IT-related disputes. The team has particular strength in advising on commercial contracts, outsourcing arrangements, tech-heavy procurements and digitalisation projects. It has also seen a notable recent expansion of data protection and privacy mandates under senior associate Saara Leino.
Kalle Hynönen; Mika Puittinen
Other key lawyers:
Juha-Pekka Katainen; Saara Leino; Essi Launonen
‘Good knowledge of the subject matter and are able to provide services flexibly and in a timely manner.’
‘Mika Puittinen is trustworthy and competent, able to communicate well with clients.‘
‘The team has expertise not only in TMT matters but also is familiar with industry of the customer, especially as regards to damage compensation cases.’
‘They are good listeners in identifying clients’ needs, keeping up-to-date with the trends in ICT industry. Their drafts are easily adjustable to individual situations.’
‘A strong team which had the competency, skills and knowledge to help identify the need. They were attentive and were flexible and knew how to collaborate.’
‘Juha-Pekka Katainen and Essi Launonen are attentive, have the competency, skill and knowledge to help out diligently. Experienced within the field of practice and showing off great collaboration.’
‘They are the best among the good ones. Highly skilled people.’
‘Know-how of the matters that are important and related to the business.’
Psychotherapy Center Vastaamo
Lassila & Tikanoja plc
The Finnish Government Shared Services Centre for Finance and HR (Palkeet)
- Advised Psychotherapy Center Vastaamo on investigations and processes with authorities relating to a data breach in autumn 2020.
- Advised media and publishing group Otava on data protection and marketing law matters.
- Advised property maintenance service group Kotikatu on an extensive data protection project.
Lexia Attorneys Ltd is experienced in handling data protection and privacy matters for education service providers and Finnish municipalities, procurement projects, venture capital raisings for Finnish start-ups, and technology-related disputes. Team co-head Markus Myhrberg is an expert in data protection issues and venture capital raisings, while co-head Susanna Sariola advises on R&D and tech-related licensing agreements. IP disputes counsel Kimmo Suominen joined from Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) in August 2021, while data protection and security counsel Erika Leinonen joined from the Finnish DPA/Cybersecurity in September 2021.
Markus Myhrberg; Susanna Sariola
Other key lawyers:
Kimmo Suominen; Erika Leinonen
‘We have been using Lexia services for around 3 years now. The support has been exceptional all the time. Especially the rare ability to combine business related knowledge with legal has been imperative.’
‘We have been given very concrete examples of the possible scenarios or risks related to topics under review. Very quick response times, no legal jargon, but very concrete proposals on how to move forward, etc. Also, it has been great having Susanna Sariola joining us. She is an absolute standout. Very thorough legal knowledge combined with business understanding combined with excellent communication skills is absolutely brilliant to have on your side of the table.’
‘We have been very pleased to work with Lexia e.g. in complex contractual matters as well as employment law and data protection matters for several years. Lexia’s expert responsiveness and timely support combined with their legal professionalism is very much valued by our company.’
‘Susanna Sariola has in-depth knowledge of the tech contracting side and excellent negotiation skills and Erika Leinonen is a valued privacy professional.’
HMD Global Ltd
Aito Media Oy
Aiforia Technologies Oy
- Advised Varjo on all of its business agreements necessary for its successful operation.
- Acted as legal adviser for HMD Global on multiple complex technology licensing agreements.
- Acted as adviser to Finnair in signing for a component Flight Hour Agreement with AerFin Ltd for its Embraer E190 E-Jet Fleet, during its tender process, the selection of the partner, the term sheet negotiations, and the preparation of the contract structure.
Attorneys-at-law Trust. Ltd
With expertise in IT disputes and tech-related M&A, the team at Attorneys-at-law Trust. Ltd is co-led by Jan Lindberg, who advises on digital transformation projects, complex data privacy and data protection issues, and TMT disputes, while co-head Juha Taipale focuses on drafting work, complex TMT transactions, and financing arrangements. Counsel Leena-Maija Marsio is an IP and data specialist who frequently advises major technology clients. The team grew in 2021 with IT dispute expert Harri Jussila joining from HPP Attorneys in May.
Juha Taipale; Jan Lindberg
Other key lawyers:
Harri Jussila; Leena-Maija Marsio
‘They are very skilled and efficient in IT contractual issues, IPR and handling reclaims. People are easy to work with and deliver according to promised. I think people in this practice focus on the business situation and build solutions suitable for that and not play with theoretical frameworks. I feel this is very beneficial for customer and keeps all parties focused on what is relevant.’
‘Highly competent and experienced people with good networks. Senior people have good delegation skills and junior people are skilled enough to be delegated to.’
‘Trust’s practice is unique in its expertise of IT matters, e.g. IT contracts and GDPR guidance.’
‘The deep proficiency combined with the customer-first attitude and constructive way of working describes well Trust’s employees. During all these years I have always been very satisfied with them.’
Arctic Security Oy
eCraft Oy Ab
Finnish Bar Association
Futures Platform Oy
H2 Platform Oy
IFS Finland Oy
Lahti Precicision Oy
Loihde Oyj (earlier Viria Oyj)
Mash Group (Euroloan)
Sisua Digital Oy
Tietokeskus Finland Oy
- Advised Suunto on its strategic collaboration and distribution agreement with Tech Data.
- Advised eCraft on all its large-scale IT delivery agreements with Finnish listed and private customers.
- Advised Viria Security on the bidding process by Finnish Customs and contract negotiations with Tulli and subcontractors.
Boutique TMT firm Airaksinen Attorneys specialises in ICT procurement work, data privacy and GDPR compliance issues, and technology-related M&A. It also regularly acts on the buyer side of IT outsourcing projects. The group is lead by Jukka Airaksinen, who is an expert in TMT transactions and handles procurements for Finnish companies.
‘Great value for money.’
‘Jukka Airaksinen is reliable, highly skilled individual with hands-on approach who focuses on the essential.’
‘Systematic way to large scale programs which generally includes several parties with vendor specific agreements. Lots of IT specific knowledge and very practical customer oriented working processes. Fast response times. In smaller projects agile way of working bring value to customer.’
‘Deep knowledge of our operating environment and knowledge of our contract terms combined with good understanding of IT software vendor specific terms and conditions helps us relatively quickly finalise agreements which comply with our business model.‘
Eltel Networks Oy
Avance Attorneys Ltd advises on venture capital investments and the formation of joint ventures in the TMT space, particularly for clients operating in the healthtech, cleantech, gaming and fintech spaces. Practice head Topi Siniketo advises on technology and competition law issues, and also covers the related litigation and arbitration work. Mikko Alkio is an expert in competition law, especially regarding regulated industries such as the healthcare, energy and natural resources sectors.
Mikko Alkio; Topi Siniketo
‘Great team with lots of expertise on the R&D focused and regulated side of the TMT sector, they’re great help for our R&D team and have great understanding on innovation policy etc. Avance are a pleasure to work with they’re very accommodating for client requirements. Very good commercial understanding.’
‘Mikko Alkio has an exceptional skillset involving not only the legal and commercial knowhow but also politics and government. In this emerging era of regulatory backlash in the tech sector, having an adviser like Mikko Alkio on our side is immensely valuable. He is very strategic thinker.’
Small Giant Games Oy
Streamr Network AG
Freska Finland Oy
Alma Media Oyj
Seriously Digital Entertainment
Day 2 Media Oy
European Mobile Operator Oy
IQM Finland Oy
Tencent Holdings Limited
Verso Fund II Ky and the other shareholders of Ginolis Oy
Galena Pharma Oy
Adelis Equity Partners
Orla DTx Oy
Rejlers Finland Oy
- Advised Alma Media on the acquisition of Nettix Oy’s entire share capital from Otava Group for €170m.
- Advised Enreach, the fast-growing unified communications group backed by investment company Waterland, on the acquisition of Benemen Oy, a leading provider of cloud-based communication solutions in the Nordic countries.
- Advised Rejlers Finland Oy on the acquisition of the telecoms operations unit from Sitowise Oy.
The TMT team at DLA Piper Finland Attorneys Ltd specialises in technology-related outsourcings, data privacy and GDPR compliance work, and dispute resolution matters. It is particularly strong in technology transactions, acting for both international and Finnish procurement groups, as well as handling joint ventures and strategic distribution agreements. Practice co-heads Markus Oksanen and Sami Rintala both advise on IT procurement and outsourcing mandates.
Markus Oksanen; Sami Rintala
‘Business and commercial understanding combined with deep juridical know-how. Real solutions to tackle business issues.’
LähiTapiola General Mutual Insurance Group
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Verifone Finland Oy
- Provided assistance to LähiTapiola throughout a number of strategic and high-value ICT procurement processes, including negotiations with CGI on a €49m framework agreement with a new hybrid development model for the creation of digital services.
- Advised Spinnova on negotiating a manufacturing and sales joint venture with Suzano SA for commercialising wood-based textile fibre.
- Assisted Picosun with all its contracting related matters, including a strategic distribution agreement with a Fortune 500 listed company.
Dottir Attorneys Ltd. advises TMT vendors and customers on IT outsourcings, data protection work, procurements and software licensing issues. Daniel Stranius covers data protection and commercial contract negotiations, while Otto Lindholm focuses on tech-related contractual and regulatory matters, as well as outsourcings. Jaakko Lindgren specialises in data protection and regulatory matters in the telecoms industry. Data protection expert and senior associate Jesse Järvenpää joined the team from Castrén & Snellman in June 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Jaakko Lindgren; Jesse Järvenpää
‘Very good firm, which is no longer up and coming, but already there.’
‘Daniel Stranius and Jaakko Lindgren are excellent lawyers.’
‘The Dottir team has an ability to highlight and focus on the client’s most important issues. They are problem-solving and have a can-do attitude in everything they do.’
‘The interaction has been always fair and open. I feel that they have passion for the job, willingness to listen to us and strong knowledge.’
Central Finland Health Care District (KSSHP)
Wolt Enterprises Oy
Teosto r.y. (Säveltäjäin Tekijänoikeustoimisto)
Endemol Shine Finland Oy
KELA (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland)
- Advised KSSHP on a major IT outsourcing, in which four Finnish health care districts procured patient and customer data system from Cerner Corporation. The total value of the deal is circa €300m.
- Advised Kemijoki Oy on the outsourcing of the technical maintenance and operations of Kemijoki Oy’s hydropower plants to Caverion Oyj, the environmental and maintenance operations of Kemijoki Oy to Mitta Oy, and hydropower plant services to Fortum Oyj.
- Advised YIT Oyj on the outsourcing of networking, capacity, data security, and mobile services to Telia Oyj ; and outsourcing of end user, service desk, and data analysing services to CGI Finland Oy.
With links to a global network of offices, the TMT practice at Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) provides full geographic coverage to clients on matters ranging from procurement disputes and regulatory compliance issues to data protection work and tech-related M&A. Tiina Ashorn is a TMT contract negotiation expert, while Markus Rämö focuses on tech-related transactions, joint ventures, and cooperation arrangements. Telecoms team leader Jukka-Pekka Joensuu specialises in major TMT projects, while IP and media team leader Anu Mattila deals with technology-related cross-border transactions.
Tiina Ashorn; Markus Rämö; Jukka Pekka Joensuu; Anu Mattila
‘Eversheds has an excellent price/quality ratio and a practical and strategic, value-adding business approach to legal matters. We have a personal point of contact (Tiina Ashorn), but she has extensive and broad experience to identify matters that might concern other areas of law as well. This practical advice and a full one-stop service keeps us as a loyal customer returning to Eversheds.’
‘We work with Tiina Ashorn at Eversheds in Helsinki. She is fantastic and always helps us come up with good solutions. She is very approachable.’
‘Anu Mattila focuses on a combination of Russian and Finnish business laws. Tiina Ashorn is an expert in IPR, business law and understanding of technical matters at the same time.’
‘Talented and business-oriented people. Good value for the money.’
‘I’ve used the team for software business related legal matters operating as a vendor in that area. Especially Tiina Ashorn has proven to be a great adviser in that field. She has a strong background and also understands the business aspect in the contractual matters.’
‘Eversheds is a very reliable partner for us in various R&D, IPR, Sales and jointly funded project matters and related agreement negotiations. Most often we get professional and precise advice in a timely manner explained directly to our project managers and sales people without needing to involve our own legal team member in the same case.’
Plus Terveys Oy
Natural Resources Institute Finland
The Norther Ostrobothnia Hospital District
Good Sign Oy
Oy Omnitele Ab
Sony Music Entertainment Finland
Pirkanmaa hospital district
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
Digitalist Group plc
BHG Group AB
Oulun DataCenter Oy
- Successfully represented a Finnish athlete in two disputes against large Finnish media companies Alma Media Suomi Oy and Sanoma Media Finland Oy.
- Completed an arrangement on behalf of the municipality of Enontekiö to privatise ENF airport and planned a digitalised platform for airport management, air traffic control and operation and management of the airport.
- Represented Brady S.a.r.l. as it issued a voluntary public cash tender offer for all shares in Nordic ID Oyj valued at €8.1m.
The ‘highly professional' team at Mäkitalo Attorneys Ltd advises technology start-ups, internet and mobile service providers, and computer and video game developers on TMT matters including outsourcing transactions, contracts and general business negotiations. Practice head Jani Rantanen focuses on corporate restructurings and TMT-related M&A, while managing partner Ville Vyyryläinen specialises in IT service agreements and cross-border financing matters.
Jani Rantanen; Ville Vyyryläinen
‘I have used Mäkitalos team in reviewing and negotiating agreements with suppliers and customers. They have a wide area of expertise and have been able to help me in with complicated structures.’
‘The team is highly professional and understands the problems well and comes up with relevant solutions to solve issues.‘
‘High dedication to solve the issues in a timely way.’
Luxus Advertising Limited
MAXA Holding Limited
Vitec ALMA Oy
A number of start-ups originating from Maria01 start-up hub
Keravan Energia Oy
- Assisted CCEA Oy with several contract negotiations with its customers, and the acquisition of a software company complementing CCEA Oy’s business activities and with ensuring full GDPR compliance for the client.
- Provided Luxus with all of its legal needs, including client and supplier contract negotiations and M&A work.
- Assisted MAXA Group (formerly iAxept) with its contractual negotiations with several major mobile network operators, payment processors and SIM card vendors.