Borenius' team covers all areas of TMT, including providing 'market-leading' advice on telecoms regulatory issues and assisting a wide range of clients from the healthcare sector. The practice is also increasingly active in fintech mandates. Team co-head Samuli Simojoki is praised by clients as a 'strategic thinker' and counsel Henriikka Piekkala is considered 'probably the most competent telecoms lawyer in any Nordic law firm' by clients. Erkko Korhonen joined the firm in 2020 and is also co-head of the technology and data team.
TMT in Finland
Samuli Simojoki; Erkko Korhonen
Other key lawyers:
‘Borenius’ TMT team is a commercially focused team and we have been very pleased to work with them. They’re our go-to TMT team. The team have strong industry understanding. There are only very few really comprehensive TMT practices in Finland and Nordics in general. Borenius’ practice has unique competencies such as market-leading expertise telecoms regulation.’
‘Samuli Simojoki is a strategic thinker who understands our industry very well. We value his advice and opinions very much. Henriikka Piekkala is probably the most competent telecoms lawyer in any Nordic law firm. Overall the team are very committed and always available.’
‘Erkko Korhonen gives practical advice in complex ICT and privacy related matters. He is fast and clear. A rising star.’
Oy Matkahuolto Ab
Accountor Group Oy
Nanoform Finland Plc
Kansaneläkelaitos, The Social Insurance Institution of Finland
HUS, The Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa
Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare
The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
Traffic Management Finland Ltd
Valo Therapeutics Ltd
Askel Healthcare Ltd
Enfuce Financial Services Ltd
Digitaalinen asuntokauppa DIAS Oy
- Supported Nanoform Finland on multiple matters, including advising the company on its €88m IPO and dual listing in Helsinki and Stockholm as well as the published commercial contracts with AstraZeneca and Orion.
- Advised Kansaneläkelaitos, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, on extensive telecoms and IT procurement projects.
- Prepared a template rulebook for business networks for data sharing on behalf of the Finnish Innovation Fund.
The 'very capable and effective' team at Castrén & Snellman has a full-service offering, with an excellent track record in data protection, technology and IPR advisory work. The group acts for both Finnish and international clients, and recently advised Google on all its data privacy, licensing, customs seizures, copyright, marketing and regulatory matters in Finland. Team co-heads Pia Ek and Eija Warma-Lehtinen are the key contacts in the practice.
Pia Ek; Eija Warma-Lehtinen
‘Hard-working and dedicated individuals.’
‘Team is very knowledgeable in data protection and privacy matters, always available and delivers high quality work, understanding the data controller’s perspective well.’
‘Very capable and effective. Always ready to help with fast support and reacting.’
‘Pia Ek, partner: positive attitude and thinking, always available, ability to manage large entities.’
‘Easy to work with. Eija Warma-Lehtinen has the excellent ability to quickly dive into the problems.’
‘Really experienced in partner and customer negotiations and top-notch legal individuals. I’ve been smiling in the negotiations when Castrén’s person has led the discussion and delivered the good outcomes in negotiations, which are beneficial for our company.’
CSC – IT Center for Science Ltd.
Oy Apotti Ab
Wing Aviation Finland Oy
Schibsted Group (Norway)
Fennia Mutual Insurance Company
Danske Bank, Nordea Bank and OP Financial Group
Neste Engineering and Solutions Oy
Oy Eli Lilly Ab
- Acted for Google on all its data privacy, licensing, customs seizures, copyright and marketing law and regulatory matters in Finland.
- Assisted Oy Apotti Ab with assessing the status and need for amendment of social and healthcare legislation from the perspective of privacy.
- Assisted Norwegian Schibsted Group with a transaction where Schibsted Nordic Marketplaces AS purchased the entire share capital of Oikotie Ltd from the Sanoma media group at an enterprise value of €185m.
The TMT practice at Dittmar & Indrenius is prominent in fintech and healthtech projects, particularly those involving big data. Other key areas of work include outsourcings, technology transactions, data and cybersecurity work, disruptive technology and AI issues, cleantech work and disputes. Anna Haapanen is an expert in code and the related technology licensing mandates including proprietary and open source licensing issues. She leads the team with Jukka Lång, who has significant compliance and data protection expertise.
Jukka Lång; Anna Haapanen
Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom
Metso Corporation (now Metso Outotec Corporation)
Helvar Oy Ab
Veho Oy Ab
Sweco Finland Oy
- Advised Garmin Ltd. on its acquisition of Firstbeat Analytics Oy, a leading provider of physiological analytics for health, fitness and performance.
- Assisted the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom with analysing the data protection aspects of the processing of personal data in connection with cooperative intelligent transport systems.
- Advised Helvar on the implementation of a new, data-driven digital services offering, as well as preparing and negotiating technology, domain and trade mark licensing agreements, ICT outsourcing agreements, manufacturing and software development agreements and value added reseller agreements.
HPP Attorneys handles a broad variety of TMT matters, spanning licensing mandates, technology developments and major outsourcing agreements, competition law issues, financings, dispute resolution and regulatory compliance work. Clients include broadband and telecoms companies, software houses and pharmaceuticals companies as well as global cutting-edge technology companies. On the contentious side, the firm continues to act in disputes in the telecoms, mobile communications and manufacturing industries, and claims relating to industrial designs and trade marks. Kari-Matti Lehti, whose practice focuses on outsourcings, and privacy and data protection law, jointly heads up the team with Pekka Raatikainen, who is highly recommended for IT disputes.
Kari-Matti Lehti; Pekka Raatikainen
‘Their team understands our business and our markets very well and are very efficient in their work.’
Vincit Solutions Oy
Mortgage Society of Finland
- Advised CGI on large-scale digitalisation projects and related services regarding Lähi-Tapiola’s IT systems and services.
Roschier provides an exceptionally broad range of advice across the TMT field, with clients including network operators, gaming companies and disruptive service providers. Central areas of work include technology disputes, licensing issues, strategic policies, commercialisation projects and outsourcings; the latter is an area in which practice head Arto Linnervuo is highly regarded. Managing partner Mikko Manner has extensive experience in patent, copyright and trade secrets commercialisation and licensing mandates, while Johanna Lilja is the key contact for data protection, privacy and compliance advice. Up-and-coming partner Miikka Konttinen is highly active in the energy industry and industrial technology contracting work.
Other key lawyers:
Mikko Manner; Johanna Lilja; Miikka Konttinen
‘Excellent understanding of the underlying technologies as well as dynamics of the relevant operational and business models.’
‘Roschier’s team has a unique combination of world-class partners and top-tier young associates. Their partners are competitive globally and they have managed to recruit some of the best talent.’
‘Mikko Manner as the managing partner has built a first-class team and created a strong culture. The firm has an excellent range of younger associates.’
Bauer Media Finland Oy
Quest Diagnostics Inc.
- Advised Fortum Corporation on the technology, licensing and competition law aspects of the sale of a majority stake in its Nordic electric vehicle charging point operator Fortum Recharge to Infracapital.
- Advised Metso Corporation on a global IT outsourcing deal.
- Advised Veoneer Inc. on a broad range of IT and technology-centric projects.
The TMT group at Bird & Bird advises blue-chip technology companies, mid-tier technology clients, start-ups, software vendors and users of technology products and services, with particular strengths in the healthcare, financial and automotive sectors. The firm's global network makes the practice a key choice for cross-border work, with a strong record in managing projects across multiple regions. Practice head Sakari Halonen focuses on outsourcing and IT contracting mandates.
Other key lawyers:
‘Bird & Bird Finland, through its partner Sakari Halonen, provides excellent legal advice both from an industry knowledge as well as regional understanding perspective. Their commercial acumen, as well as vast experience, solidifies quality advice as well as quick responses to complex questions and situations. Bird and Bird give stellar support both in pre-contract negotiations as well as post-contract challenges, including settlements.’
‘The team has fast response times and they are able to prioritise work and assignments efficiently. They have a solid understanding of the business needs and they even have the ability to provide additional, non-legal support in decision-making and decision-making process.’
‘Broad expertise across various fields of industry, looking from customer perspective in finding solutions to both legal and commercial hurdles. Positive attitude and easy to work with.’
‘Extremely responsive, fast turnaround time, outstanding expertise. Internationally well connected.’
‘Partner Sakari Halonen has exceptional skills to understand businesses and their technology and to handle very complex cases. Combined with great communication skills he is really able to add value. I truly appreciate his work and he has become a trusted lawyer for our company.’
Capgemini Finland Oy (Capgemini Group)
Nordic Morning Group Plc
Edita Prima Oy
Sogeti Finland Oy
HPE (Hewlett-Packard Enterprises)
DXC Technology Finland Oy
- Advised Cerner on a public procurement tender process conducted by the Central Finland Hospital District, where Cerner was chosen as the provider of patient data systems for the use of residents of the associated hospital districts.
- Acted as external general counsel to Capgemini Group in Finland, advising on all aspects of its business in Finland.
- Represented Media Metrics in a landmark case for Finnish media houses in the area of ad tech. This included multiparty negotiations, providing advice on data protection issues and coordinating advice from various jurisdictions.
Hannes Snellman focuses on providing procurement and outsourcing advice to large clients, and is recommended for complex outsourcing mandates. Other core pillars of the practice include technology transactions, IT public procurement issues, contracting work and project disputes. Jesper Nevalainen is noted for his expertise in technology law and data protection issues; he jointly heads up the team with litigator Panu Siitonen.
Jesper Nevalainen; Panu Siitonen
‘The team at Hannes Snellman has deep knowledge and resources, and are more than capable of providing excellent legal advice on large-scale IT outsourcing and vendor management matters.’
‘Very knowledgeable and target-oriented team.’
‘The team members are 1000% committed to driving the desired outcome. This attitude combined with industry expertise and ability to analyse complex interrelations make the team unique.’
‘Jesper Nevalainen is a very pleasant person to work with. He has a broad knowledge of the legal framework, industry practices and suppliers’ most common legal terms and arguments.’
Microsoft Corporation (incl. Microsoft Oy and other group companies)
Smartly.io Solutions Oy
Oy Karl Fazer Ab
Telia Finland Oyj
Instru Optiikka Oy
Suomen UNICEF ry
SAP Finland Oy and SAP SE
Business Technology Finland Oy
- Advised YIT on all IT contracts in connection with the carve-out of its paving and minerals business.
- Advised Saga Furs on the procurement of its new ERP system.
- Advised Abbott Oy and its affiliate Abbott Diabetes Care Inc. on complex data protection matters concerning its cloud solution (LibreView) for healthcare professionals and patients, used for monitoring and measuring glucose levels of diabetics.
Boutique firm Inventio Attorneys handles matters including fintech mandates, major IT and outsourcing processes, Internet of Things-related issues, and disputes relating to various types of IT agreements. The team acts for both customers and vendors, with clients including large corporates, SMEs and start-ups. Practice head Topi Lusenius is an expert in research and development work, outsourcings and data protection matters.
‘Inventio attorneys has a great business-centred mindset. They are agile to work with and deliver exactly what they promise.’
‘Swift understanding of the client’s business as well as their contractual and legal position in the matter at hand. Capability to suggest the optimal approach to the same.’
‘Inventio was a true asset when we worked with them on an ICT contract. They knew the ICT terminology and technical details and were able to suggest the best way to proceed. It was a pleasure to work with this kind of professional. Also their work ethic was brilliant. They were fast, efficient and they knew what they were doing. Very rare and I loved it!’
‘Very easy going and yet professional way of working. They focused on solving our contract issues, not trying to sell best impressions.’
Savings Bank Group
Pharmaceutical Information Centre
Management Events Studio
- Advised the Finnish Savings Bank Group on several substantial fintech IT procurement assignments related to the fintech IT outsourcing whereby Cognizant purchased the major Finnish IT service company Samlink.
- Advising Xerox on an ongoing basis on its legal matters concerning Finland.
- Handled Aditro Group’s legal matters in Finland.
Krogerus' full-service practice advises clients from all segments of the telecoms, media and technology sectors, with further strength in the insurance and banking industries, where it regularly advises blue-chip financial sector clients; digitalisation projects are another key area of work for the department. Team leader Mika Puittinen is noted for his experience in outsourcing and procurement mandates, assisting both domestic and international corporations. Juha-Pekka Katainen stands out for his longstanding expertise in compliance work and investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Aktia Bank Plc
The Finnish Government Shared Services Centre for Finance and HR
Lassila & Tikanoja Plc
Rabbit Films Oy Ltd
Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company
- Advised Unisport-Saltex on contract negotiations regarding its online store and PIM (Product Information Management) solution, and advised on data protection issues.
- Advised the Technology Industry of Finland, on the creation of standard contractual terms for the use and licensing of industrial (big) data.
- Advised Palkeet on the procurement of SAP licenses and also handled data protection matters.
Lexia Attorneys Ltd provides the full range of advice to TMT clients, assisting with privacy, data protection and data systems, outsourcings, marketing issues and technology disputes. The team is also particularly strong in both indirect and direct technology procurements. Markus Myhrberg has extensive expertise in the media sector, assisting music, games and production companies. He jointly heads up the practice with Susanna Sariola, who is highly recommended for strategic sourcing and divestment projects and business agreements.
Markus Myhrberg; Susanna Sariola
‘The team we worked with from Lexia has been good at helping us evaluate cutting edge technology issues and guide us in GDPR-related issues on AI development.’
‘TMT partner Susanna Sariola has expertise on the in-house side which has turned out to be helpful in many cases where Lexia has helped our company. She is able to lead negotiations independently. She always has a superb attitude and provides timely responses.’
‘They help us understand the legal issues we need to take into account and give us actionable advice. They actually help us solve the issues we present.’
HMD Global Ltd
Magic Add Oy
Aiforia Technologies Oy
Zora Bioscience Oy
Aito Media Oy
Hintsa Performance Oy
Delta Cygni Labs
- Advised Varjo on business agreements.
- Acted as legal adviser to HMD Global on multiple complex technology licensing agreements.
- Assisted GetJenny Oy with legal matters relating to financing rounds, contract negotiations and R&D issues.
Attorneys-at-law Trust. Ltd
Boutique firm Attorneys-at-law Trust. Ltd primarily focuses on IT agreements, system and service procurements and deliveries, and technology disputes, acting primarily for domestic companies. The team also has extensive technology-sector transactional experience including financing and M&A experience. Group co-head Juha Taipale is particularly active in advising start-ups on matters including financing and commercial contracting work, and fellow co-head Jan Lindberg is well-known for his compliance and cloud agreement expertise.
Jan Lindberg; Juha Taipale
Arctic Security Oy
Finnish Bar Association
H2 Platform Oy
IFS Finland Oy
Mash Group (Euroloan)
Sisua Digital Oy
Tietokeskus Finland Oy
- Advised Marimekko on the implementation of its new e-commerce platform based on Adobe’s Magento.
- Represented a Finnish globally operating medtech company and successfully settled an IT delivery dispute relating to an e-commerce platform.
- Advised eCraft, a Microsoft vendor, on its various customer deals with Finnish listed companies.
Airaksinen Attorneys is led by name partner Jukka Airaksinen, who has an 'exceptional understanding' of IT outsourcing matters. Clients span Finnish publicly listed companies including Ahlstrom-Munksjö, which the group advised on contract preparation issues and negotiations related to several procurement projects.
‘The team at Airaksinen Attorneys is remarkably flexible and able to adapt to different engagements with ease. The team combines experience with enthusiasm and has great potential to meet the highest expectations.’
‘Business minded and very hands-on.’
‘Mr. Airaksinen has exceptional understanding not only of legal or strategy questions but also other challenges in negotiating large IT outsourcing engagements.’
Realia Group Oy
Eltel Networks Oy
- Advised Ahlstrom-Munksjö on contract preparation and contract negotiations, relating to all stages of a procurement project.
Avance Attorneys Ltd advises clients from a range of industries, particularly the media and emerging technology sectors. Topi Siniketo leads the team, and has recently worked on projects in the entertainment, gaming and media sectors, as well as handling IT and health technology issues.
Oura Health Oy
Small Giant Games Oy
Streamr Network AG
Freska Finland Oy
Alma Media Oyj
Seriously Digital Entertainment
Day 2 Media Oy
- Advised Alma Media Oyj on the sale of its regional news media business and printing operations to Sanoma Media Finland.
- Advised Oura Health Oy on its €26m Series B funding from top venture capitalists in the US and Europe.
- Advised Adelis Equity Partners on its acquisition of DataCenter Finland, a leading Nordic cloud service provider, as well as the add-on acquisition of Netsecure Oy, an IT security specialist.
Technology is a core practice area for DLA Piper, and the group handles outsourcings, commercial contracting issues, franchising work, privacy mandates, media projects and dispute resolution. The team works closely with the firm's M&A group on technology-intensive transactions, and has extensive experiencing acting for international and domestic procurement organisations. Practice heads Markus Oksanen and Sami Rintala both specialise in outsourcings, including cloud computing and software matters.
Markus Oksanen; Sami Rintala
‘The team has good knowledge of technology agreements on a practical level, and hence it is able to provide very hands-on advice on the agreement wordings that work in practice.’
‘More business oriented mindset than their peers. Understands the targets beyond legal aspects.’
‘I would like to mention Partner Sami Rintala, who has given hands-on and practical advice on IT related issues.’
‘Sami Rintala has demonstrated deep contractual/legal knowledge combined with business oriented thinking on ICT-outsourcings.’
LähiTapiola General Mutual Insurance Group
Helsinki City Transport Authority
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
- Advised LähiTapiola on negotiations with CGI regarding a €49m framework agreement including a new hybrid development model for the creation of digital services.
- Advised Finavia Corporation on its process for acquiring new passenger processing systems for the Finnish airports.
- Assisted Picosun with contractual matters relating to the purchase, sale and distribution of Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) products globally.
Dottir Attorneys Ltd. is a 'hot name in the market' and advises clients from a range of industries, with a particular focus on the technology and entertainment sectors. The group also has key expertise in IT outsourcing contractual issues. Johanna Rantanen and Daniel Stranius jointly head up the team.
Daniel Stranius; Johanna Rantanen
Other key lawyers:
‘Their team spirit and ability to identify which experts are needed in which situations is remarkable.’
‘Very versatile and modern legal firm with excellent practices, methodologies and TMT experts for all industry needs. Dottir is a hot name in the market, and we will see their fantastic growth journey in the market in a expansive way very soon.’
‘Daniel Stranius is a target-oriented professional, well-prepared and has the ability to solve complex problems by breaking them into smaller pieces.’
Flow Festival Oy
Wolt Enterprises Oy
Säveltäjäin Tekijänoikeustoimisto Teosto Ry
Estee Lauder Companies Europe
Central Finland Heath Care District (KSSHP)
- Advised KSSHP on an outsourcing deal in which four Finnish health care districts procured patient and customer data systems from Cerner.
- Advised YIT on two large-scale IT outsourcing deals, where YIT procured infrastructure and end-user services from Telia Oyj and CGI Finland Oy, respectively.
- Advised Sulapac, a company manufacturing biodegradable and microplastic-free material, on its €15m series A financing round in which Chanel, Mousse Partners, Sky Ocean Ventures, Bonnier Ventures and Lifeline Ventures invested.
The wide-ranging TMT practice at Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) counts software and hardware licensing issues, IT services contracts, procurement matters and disputes as key strengths. Anu Mattila, who specialises in complex cross-border transactions, especially those with a Russian dimension, heads up the sanctions and compliance team. Jukka Pekka Joensuu is a go-to contact for telecoms matters, including issues relating to subsea cables, fibre connectivity and cloud connectivity. Contracting experts Tiina Ashorn and Markus Rämö jointly lead the wider department.
Tiina Ashorn; Markus Rämö; Jukka Pekka Joensuu; Anu Mattila
‘Very professional and fulfils our expectations in contract law and IP. Gives the extra professional value especially in international complicated cases and second opinions frequently and reliably.’
‘Tiina Ashorn is fully dedicated to solving customer issues at any time and in very tight schedules. She responds very quickly and I know I can call her in any matter. She is also able to disagree with us when needed.’
‘Markus Rämö is always available, replies quickly and provides good services and solutions when needed.’
Plus Terveys Oy
Blue Meteorite ltd
Natural Resources Institute Finland
The Northern Ostrobothnia Hospital District
Good Sign Oy
Elematic Oy Ab
Oy Omnitele Ab
Sony Music Entertainment Finland
Pirkanmaa hospital district
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
Digitalist Group Plc
NordFin Capital AB
Sowa 3D architecture
- Advised Cinia on the Arctic Link project.
- Advised Kaiku Health Oy on a transaction in which Elekta acquired 100% of the company.
- Assisting VTT on a continuous basis with various contract negotiations with domestic and foreign parties.
Mäkitalo Attorneys Ltd provides advice on a wide range of TMT matters and acts for client roster spanning established companies and technology start-ups. Recent work has included drafting contracts and handling business negotiations, IT service agreements and outsourcing transactions. Jani Rantanen and Ville Vyyryläinen jointly lead the team.
Jani Rantanen; Ville Vyyryläinen
‘Mäkitalo’s team have provided us with a fast and efficient screening of contracts and terms.’
Luxus Advertising Limited
MAXA Holding Limited
Vitec ALMA Oy
Start-ups originating from the Maria01 start-up hub
- Assisted CCEA Oy with several contract negotiations with its customers, and the acquisition of a software company complementing its business activities and also ensured full GDPR compliance for the client.
- Handled all legal issues relating to projects covering procurement work, contracts, and negotiations for SoteDigi Oy.
- Advised Luxus on all of its IT-related legal matters as well as strategic issues.