Borenius fields a leading specialist IP team, focusing on assisting clients with disputes and commercial IP and trade mark portfolio management issues, and advice on regulatory and non-contentious matters. The firm engages with clients in the pharmaceuticals and healthcare sectors and has handled landmark copyright cases with notable expertise in the television broadcasting and sports rights arenas. Group co-head Ben Rapinoja was noted by clients for his ‘practical advice, great expertise and ability to think of consequences on a larger scale’ relating to patent and trade mark matters. Lasse Laaksonen is head of the IP and commercial team with knowledge of both contentious and non-contentious IP mandates and technology law. Jemina Bonsdorff is noted for her work in regulatory and contractual issues and IP litigation.
Intellectual property in Finland
Ben Rapinoja; Lasse Laaksonen
Other key lawyers:
Jemina Bonsdorff; Wilma Kivilä; Hanna Pohjola; Anni Jäälinoja
‘Expertise, understanding of business, broad knowledge of the field nationally and internationally.’
‘Ben Rapinoja: practical advice, great expertise, ability to think of consequences on a larger scale.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Giovanni Ogna e Figli S.r.l.
SodaStream International B.V.
Oy Karl Fazer Ab
Detection Technology Plc
Aalto University Foundation
Orifarm Group A/S
- Advised Kesko Plc, a pan-Nordic listed retail conglomerate, on multi-pronged intellectual property litigation in the Market Court.
- Advising and representing OPPO, a leading global smart device brand, and its subsidiary OnePlus Technology on their standard essential patent and FRAND litigation against global telecoms and consumer electronics brand Nokia Corporation.
- Represented Primex group in an arbitral process under the ICC Rules relating to Primex key IP assets.
Castrén & Snellman fields a prominent IP practice with clients spanning major industries including the technology, media, life sciences, automotive, energy, textile, retail, luxury and consumer goods sectors. The team provides advice on all aspects of trade mark, copyright and design prosecution, brand clearances and freedom to operate evaluations, and also handles multi-jurisdictional IP portfolio management issues. Sakari Salonen has key experience in the protection, commercialisation and enforcement of IP rights at a domestic and global level, and Kim Parviainen excels in data protection issues and patent, trade mark, design and franchise disputes. Hanna Paloheimo‘s practice covers patent litigation and pharmaceuticals regulatory matters, while Hilma-Karoliina Markkanen stands out for her knowledge of copyrights, trade marks, unfair competition issues, e-commerce work, and marketing and consumer law. Nina Mikander leads the IP prosecution team.
Sakari Salonen; Nina Mikander; Hanna Paloheimo
Other key lawyers:
Kim Parviainen; Hanna Paloheimo; Hilma-Karoliina Markkanen; Piia Raappana; Tiina Orre
Finnish Olympic Committee
Merck KGaA and Merck Oy
OP Financial Group
The Finnish Composer’s Copyright Society Teosto
- Acting for Google on IP advisory issues, trade mark enforcements, customs seizures, copyright and marketing law matters, as well as data privacy and technology related work.
- Represented BMW in a complex trade mark dispute, where the Market Court prohibited the defendant from infringing BMW’s trade mark and dismissed the opposing party’s claim to invalidate BMW’s trade mark.
- Advising Valio Ltd, the Finland’s biggest dairy business and food exporter, on brand protection and intellectual property enforcement matters globally.
Hannes Snellman fields a cross-border practice comprised of IP professionals in Helsinki and Stockholm, which handles the full spectrum of IP disputes. Panu Siitonen is the head of the IP and technology team, with vast experience in non-contentious IP matters and IP litigation, with particular knowledge of the life sciences, regulatory, marketing and e-commerce sectors. Sarita Schröder specialises in contentious matters including trade mark, patent and copyright infringement disputes; Vilhelm Schröder is also a key name in the team to IP litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Sarita Schröder; Vilhelm Schröder; Liisa Vaaraniemi
Finnish Red Cross First Aid
Scandic Hotels Group
Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC)
- Counsel to Paulig, one of the leading Finnish food industry companies, on the divestment of the Gold&Green brand intellectual property and R&D function to Valio.
- Counsel to the buying consortium comprising Ahlström Capital and Nidoco, on an investment in the majority share of Ahlstrom-Munksjö’s Decor Solutions business area.
- Counsel to Anora Group, a leading alcoholic beverage brand company operating in the wine and spirits markets in the Nordic and Baltic countries, in a dispute before the Market Court against Valvira, the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health, regarding Anora Group’s right to disclose information on its key IP assets, i.e., key brands.
Roschier's practice focuses on IP strategies, anti-counterfeiting issues, parallel import strategies and enforcement matters. Rainer Hilli leads the team and has handled strategically important matters for high-profile corporations including patent litigation and regulatory disputes. Mikael Segercrantz works on opposition and enforcement matters for international brand owners and high-profile clients in Finland. Managing partner Mikko Manner is noted by one client for ‘seeing the big picture and having an eye for detail’ in a range of areas including patent, copyright and trade secrets mandates. Kaisu Korpua regularly manages global trade mark portfolios for large Finnish and foreign companies, while Johanna Flythström excels in commercial and transactional IP work.
Other key lawyers:
Mikael Segercrantz; Johanna Lilja; Mikko Manner; Markku Tuominen; Kaisu Korpua; Johanna Flythström
‘Roschier is very proactive and responsive to client needs. They think outside of the box and are able to provide new points of view.’
‘Individuals make an effort to understand client’s business and provide tailored solutions. Understanding of client’s field of business is a key difference to other law firms. Johanna Flythström is an exceptionally talented partner in the team.’
‘What can I say, Roschier’s IP practice is a veritable powerhouse, equally dominating in contentious and non-contentious work.’
‘Mikko Manner is truly exceptional, at the same time seeing the big picture and having an eye for detail. Johanna Lilja is very thorough in her work and very skilled.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
The Telia Company
Procter & Gamble
Fiskars Oyj Abp
Moomin Characters Oy Ltd
Metso Outotec Oyj
HERE Global B.V.
Rovio Entertainment Corp.
Stora Enso Oyj
Gilead Sciences Inc.
Eli Lilly and Company Limited
Deutsche Telekom AG
Metacore Games Oy
Peak Performance Production AB
- Represented Merck Sharp & Dohme defending the validity of an SPC protecting the product Janumet. The case concerns the interpretation of the EU SPC Regulation and related Finnish SPC, medicines and patent law.
- Represented Gilead Sciences Inc in two damage proceedings against Mylan and KRKA before the Market Court.
- Acting for Telia Company in precedent setting copyright litigation in the Market Court and the Supreme Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union. In the case, copyright collecting society KOPIOSTO is asserting claims of copyright infringement and seeking to collect substantial copyright fees.
Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) advises clients on various assignments relating to identifying, acquiring and registering IP rights and the commercialisation, protection and defence of IP rights. The group works with its subsidiary Heinonen & Co on a range of IP services and handles the worldwide registration services for trade marks, designs, patents and domain names. Tiina Ashorn leads the practice alongside Petteri Häkkänen, who has long-standing experience in handling high-profile matters including issues concerning industrial rights, conflict management investigations and protection strategies. Kati Rantala is noted for her work handling infringement, annulment and other judicial proceedings and cases related to the protection of IP rights.
Petteri Häkkänen; Tiina Ashorn
Other key lawyers:
Kati Rantala; Lassi Lepistö
Arla Foods amba
CRYOTECH NORDIC A.S.
Gutsy Animations Oy
Icare Finland Oy
Jean Sibelius Estate
Luteiden torjunta Helle Oy
Natural Resources Institute Finland
Posti Group Corporation
The Procter & Gamble Company
SGN Group Oy
Svenska Österbottens förbund för utbildning och kultur
Urho Tuominen Oy
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Represented a world-famous Finnish athlete before the Market Court against Alma Media Suomi Oy and Sanoma Media Finland Oy in cases concerning photograph rights.
- Continuing to assist Procter & Gamble Company in brand protection of its famous trade marks, as well as the protection and defence of its designs.
- Assisting Posti Group Oyj, which has provided universal postal services for several decades, on its trade mark and design prosecution and enforcement matters, as well as domain name matters.
Krogerus fields an 'extremely helpful' team, which excels across contentious and non-contentious IP matters through its full-service IP practice, which handles copyright and trade mark matters, data commercialisation issues and R&D mandates. The practice works closely with the firm's TMT practice and also assists with trade mark portfolio management work and IP strategies. Kalle Hynönen is head of the IP department and advises on trade marks, copyrights, IP disputes, licensing issues and other commercial IP matters, while Alexander Bützow is noted for his expertise in matters related to the life sciences space.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has been extremely helpful answering all our questions in an understandable and timely matter.’
‘Kalle Hynönen, a partner, was leading the project from Krogerus’ side and he provided valuable guidance. I value the fact that I always got an acknowledgement of my email/question with a timeline when the actual response will be given.’
‘The whole IP team have exceptional knowledge of the media industry, and are always up to date with the most recent developments in the ever changing legal space.’
‘The whole IP team at Krogerus – led by Kalle Hynönen – can always be counted on to have the client’s best interest at heart and to fight in your corner when needed.’
Oy Hartwall Ab
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Herantis Pharma Plc.
- Advising Cloetta Finland on the full range of contentious and non-contentious trade mark matters, including managing its entire trade mark portfolio, and assisting with enforcement matters on an ongoing basis.
- Advising Finland’s largest beverage company Hartwall (part of Royal Unibrew group) on trade mark and other IP matters as well as marketing matters on an ongoing basis.
- Advising Naughty BRGR on its trade mark matters and managing its trade mark portfolio.
Properta Attorneys Ltd
Properta Attorneys Ltd's IP team has substantial experience across contentious and non-contentious IP work, including handling litigation in the Finnish Specialist IP Court, assisting with the prosecution of trade marks, design rights and domain and company names. Hanna-Maija Elo is co-head of the IP team and has experience in a wide range of IP infringement and unfair business practices cases, and fellow co-head Kukka Tommila specialises in cases related to trade marks, design rights, domain names, patents and trade names as well as marketing law and unfair business practices claims. Emilia Hodge also notably contributes to the practice.
Hanna-Maija Elo; Kukka Tommila
Other key lawyers:
Emilia Hodge; Sassa Svahn
‘The Properta team is pragmatic and reliable. The strength of the team is a long history with our company. They therefore understand our challenges and our way of working.’
‘Emilia Hodge is highly responsive and truly looks into client’s challenges or problems.’
‘Hanna-Maija Elo is a highly pragmatic and very experienced and trusted IP lawyer.’
Oy Suomen Apteekkiyhtiöt Ab
Lännen MCE Oy
Lidl Suomi Ky / part of Global Lidl Group
adidas AG / adidas International Marketing B.V.
Rapala VMC Oyj (including Rapala group’s subsidiary companies)
Luhta Sportswear Company (also L-Fashion Group Oy)
Kalevala Koru Oy
Food Folk Suomi Oy (McDonald’s Finnish licensee)
Oy Halva Ab
UHANA Design Oy
Block solutions Oy
Confederation of Finnish Industries
Food & More Oy (FAT LIZARD restaurants)
RXD Sports Oy
The Association of Finnish Work
Solid House Ltd
Fafa’s Plats Oy
Method Putkisto Finland Oy
AQVA Finland Oy
- Representing Mysoda Oy in a high-profile trade mark dispute against SodaStream Group before the Market Court, the Finnish Supreme Court and ECJ.
- Represented Lännen MCE Oy in the Finnish Market Court in a trade mark dispute that concerns dredging machines.
- Handling hundreds of global IP registrations for Luhta Sportswear Company (L-Fashion Group Oy) and the global IP enforcement strategy also including EU-wide customs enforcement.
Avance Attorneys Ltd‘s IP and technology team has expertise in handling complex IP matters from strategic and regulatory issues to IP transactions and contentious IP assignments, including assisting clients with obtaining external funding for innovation developments. Sonja Heiskala is noted for her experience in technology transactions, licensing matters and IP disputes’ the pair jointly lead the department.
Other key lawyers:
Alma Media Oyj
Freska Finland Oy
Seriously Digital Entertainment
Orla DTx Oy
IQM Finland Oy
- Advised DoorDash, Inc. on the acquisition of the food delivery platform company Wolt Enterprises Oy.
- Advised Paptic Oy, a Finnish technology company developing bio-based, recyclable and reusable packaging materials, on R&D collaborations, domestic and multi-jurisdictional IP licensing arrangements and other commercial agreements.
- Advised gaming company Reworks Oy and its shareholders on the sale of the company to Playtika, an Israel-based game developer.
Bird & Bird has multi-jurisdictional IP expertise in trade mark prosecutions and also excels in cross-border IP investigations, unfair business practice disputes, trade mark issues and transactional IP work. The firm’s client base includes technical wholesalers and distributors, beverage conglomerates and personal protective equipment companies. Henri Kaikkonen is head of the IP practice, and has longstanding experience in contentious IP matters including patent, trade mark and unfair business practice disputes. Mikko Nurmisto stands out for his advice to clients on a broad range of IP matters including copyright, trade mark and marketing law issues.
Other key lawyers:
Mikko Nurmisto; Anna Kallio
‘The team is small but they provide the asked-for service quickly, in time and very efficiently. They have a no-nonsense approach. The quality is high. In addition to this, they can offer the firm’s international reach which is a huge benefit in global IP work. I like this approach very much and it makes the team an easy partner for business.’
‘Partner Henri Kaikkonen and Counsel Mikko Nurmisto both have very in-depth knowledge in the field of trade marks, but also in the other fields of IP. I have worked with them especially in the area of trade marks. My experience is that they deliver what is expected, in budget and in time. They are easy to work with and I like their professional and straight forward style. Not all practitioners can provide everything in one package.’
Tempur Sealy International
Finnish Red Cross Blood Service
Isojoen Konehalli (IKH)
Adola (dba Täyskuitu)
- Defending Adola in an alleged unfair business practice case before the Market Court.
- Advising Glaston Corporation on its patent infringement investigations and related enforcement measures.
- Advising Isojoen Konehalli (IKH) on its trade mark portfolio management and the related prosecution, maintenance and enforcement measures.
Dittmar & Indrenius focuses on strategic advice relating to the acquisition, identification and enforcement of IP rights, IP-related disputes and IP intensive M&A transactions. The firm has an international practice, advising a number of multinationals including world renowned brands on the identification and protection of IP assets and the related strategies. Anna Haapanen is the head of technology group and co-head of the IP team, and has broad expertise across IP rights in both a contentious and non-contentious setting, including advising clients on portfolio management work. Juli Mansnérus has experience in high-value pan-European litigation relating to the pharmaceuticals, medical devices and technology-intensive sectors. Senior attorney Iiris Kivikari also leads the group and focuses on innovative technologies.
Anna Haapanen; Juli Mansnérus; Iiris Kivikari
Other key lawyers:
‘Good service, Wide legal expertise area. Trustful partner.’
‘All individuals are putting the customer first.’
Merilampi Attorneys Ltd provides a good range of IP services including handling marketing issues, regulatory advice and data protection matters, with clients spanning healthcare, real estate and domestic companies. Group head Henrik af Ursin is a versatile IP lawyer with experience in all aspects of IP law, from daily advisory work and trade mark prosecutions to cross-border transactional work, criminal litigation and trade secrets mandates. Mika Pakarinen is experienced in entertainment, media and marketing law and acts in arbitration and litigation proceedings, and Tetti Kunnas is noted for her knowledge of IP, IT, technology and competition law.
Henrik af Ursin
Other key lawyers:
Mika Pakarinen; Tetti Kunnas
‘Excellent IP department: High skilled and great experience in the defence of IP rights owners.’
‘Henrik af Ursin is an excellent IP lawyer – very reactive and efficient.’
‘Pro active service, quick response.’
‘Henrik af Ursin is taking a customer perspective with his thinking.’
‘The team is developing nicely into a Finnish powerhouse for IP.’
‘Henrik af Ursin is without doubt one of a few attorneys in Finland at the very top of IP. An excellent litigator.’
Swedish Tourism Association
The Finnish National Rescue Association
The Centre for Occupational Safety
Neural DSP Technologies Oy
- Setting up a technology licensing scheme for a Finnish technology company Betolar Oyj.
Waselius & Wist assists with the protection, enforcement and use of IP rights including trade marks, patents, trade names, domain names, design copyright and trade secrets. The practice is also active in counterfeit cases, and handles IP licenses and franchise agreements. Bernt Juthström is experienced in contentious and non-contentious matters across the IP space, and Åsa Krook is skilled in assisting clients with strategic IP management issues, complex franchisings and licensing and distribution arrangements; the pair jointly lead the department.
Bernt Juthström; Åsa Krook
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a solid comprehension as well as extensive knowledge of the issues at hand.’
‘The firm’s IP practice includes Åsa Krook and Marianna Karjanlahti-Perini, both of whom are very skilled IP practitioners. They always deliver excellent service and advice, and they deliver on time. They are the obvious choice for me whenever I need trade mark related assistance, as well as when other IP related needs in Finland occur.’
‘Åsa Krook and Marianna Karjanlahti-Perini are both superb lawyers, very service-minded, and they are very likeable as well.’
Louis Vuitton Malletier
Life Europe AB and Life Finland Oy
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB
Essity Hygiene Products AB, Oy Essity Finland Ab
Eltel Group Oy
Lune Group Oy Ltd
Peptonic Medical AB
NaturaMed Pharma AB
Oy Rani Plast Ab
See you later! Oy Ab
- Represented NaturaMed Pharma AB in the Finnish Market Court in a matter initiated by the Consumer Ombudsman for alleged violation of the Finnish Consumer Protection Act.
- Handling the Pernod Ricard Group’s trade mark portfolio in Finland and advising the company group on trade mark, marketing, labelling, contractual and regulatory matters and procedures in Finland and in the EU.
- Advising the LIFE chain on franchise, contractual, IP and marketing law related matters in connection with the development of the franchise concept and related transactions.
DLA Piper Finland Attorneys Ltd is regularly instructed on contentious matters, representing companies in complex disputes relating to trade secrets, unfair business practices and IP claims. The firm also has a non-contentious offering which handles national and global trade mark strategies and trade mark and patent filings. Markus Oksanen co-lead’s the team with Sami Rintala, who both focus on a variety of IP mandates including handling IP rights and commercial contracts, advising technology start-ups, insurance companies, financial services clients and growth companies on M&A transactions, venture capital issues, technology transactions and IP commercialisation.
Markus Oksanen; Sami Rintala
Other key lawyers:
‘What we mostly appreciate in DLA Piper – in addition to their knowledge – is their extensive global network. As a global company we regularly need answers to international questions or questions pertaining to foreign countries. DLA Piper is continuously able to deliver on this front.’
‘Markus Oksanen – very quick and knowledgeable. Able to give clear answers to complex problems quickly.’
LähiTapiola Mutual Insurance Group
- Advising Spinnova Oyj on all legal work, including negotiating new product agreements, joint development agreements, license agreements and joint venture agreements with leading global brands.
- Assisted the Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) technology company Picosun in negotiations of a distribution agreement with a Fortune 500 listed company, Applied Materials Inc.
KPMG Law in Finland focuses on assisting clients with business growth by protecting their brands, inventions and creative works. The firm provides legal advice relating to patents, copyrights, designs and databases, trade marks, domain names, performing rights and trade secrets. Ilkka Vuorenmaa leads the IP team and advises a variety of national and international clients, while Harri Metso mainly acts for public sector entities.
Other key lawyers:
Harri Metso; Jan Ljungman; Sanna Sipilä; Aapo Kiviniemi; Hanna Listenmaa
‘The team at KPMG have truly contributed to our successful growth in markets outside of Finland, with their comprehensive knowledge in IP-law and trade mark regulation worldwide. They have worked on different tasks either given to them or initiated by them. In our industry our branding is equal to our business values, where it is important and necessary to be a front runner with IP matters.’
‘The whole team at KMG assigned to our company have contributed within their special legal knowledge. Ilkka Vuorenmaa is easy to work with and has a business minded and customer friendly approach, and gives us valuable legal insights. In questions about M&A, we have also gained good and valuable information and legal assistance.’
Teknologian tutkimuskeskus VTT Oy / VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd.
Suomen kuntaliitto ry / Association of Finnish Municipalities
X-WK Logistics Oy
Unifund Oy, University of Jyväskylä
Tampereen Aluetaksi Oy
- Providing Snellman Group with ongoing IP services, such as full management of the client’s trade mark portfolio and advice related to all other IP matters.
- Provided various legal advice to VTT and assisted in legal matters related to IP in R&D projects, such as licensing agreements and other commercial contracts, and patent portfolio transactions.
- Assisted Suomen kuntaliitto ry (Association of Finnish Municipalities) with various legal matters related to teacher’s copyrights to educational materials and employer’s rights to such materials produced by teachers.
Lexia Attorneys Ltd is experienced in IP strategy work, licencing issues and transactions, as well as advising on the protection, clearance, planning and enforcement of national and international trade marks and other forms of brand protection. The firm also provides clients with advice related to the commercialisation of IP rights, including non-tangible assets. Markus Myhrberg has experience in advising clients on IP and brand strategies, and Susanna Sariola has extensive knowledge on IP related issues.
Markus Myhrberg; Susanna Sariola
Other key lawyers:
Kimmo Oila; Mikko Räsänen; Erika Leinonen
‘Lexia has a strong and experienced team and they have built a solid track record in building new success stories – reasons why we chose them. Lexia has a team that has knowledge from wide variety of industries and from different intellectual and legal areas. As a whole, the company seems to be working well together and they take a strategic perspective with their guidance and solutions, in order to address client’s interests and needs. We’ve been able to adjust our working practices dynamically with them that helps and supports business needs.’
‘Individuals working with us are really part of our team. It is easy to communicate and co-operate with them and they are respected among the staff. If compared to our previous experience, I think the strong competence and professionalism is stronger and the feeling that “this person has been there before to build success stories” is highly appreciated. We’ve received very open and smart problem solving capabilities that have helped us to brainstorm and make better decisions in our company.’
Aito Media Ltd / Mediawan Finland
SJT-Investment Group Ltd
Axopar Boats Ltd / Axopar Holdings Oy
Kotipizza Group Oyj
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland Ltd
PLUGIT FINLAND OY
Anatomic Functional Training Oy
Minimani Yhtiöt Oy
- Supported Axopar in creating its IP strategy, design protection, domain name related infringement issues, infringement of trade marks and infringement of design rights.
- Assisted SJT-Investment Group Ltd with its overall global IP strategy especially regarding its global trade mark “JedX”.