Intellectual property in Finland
The IP team at Borenius handles the full spectrum of IP matters, including litigation and enforcement work and trade mark portfolio management issues. Another key strength for the group lies in IP transactions including research and development work, distribution and agency issues, franchisings, merchandising work and licensing mandates. The group also has a strong offering for clients in the high tech, chemicals, IT and life sciences sectors, and regularly represents pharmaceuticals companies. Ben Rapinoja has a strong track record in pharmaceuticals patent litigation and contractual disputes, while Lasse Laaksonen adds significant IP-related arbitration expertise. Åsa Krook joined Waselius & Wist in 2020.
Ben Rapinoja; Lasse Laaksonen
Other key lawyers:
‘Well-balanced mixture of careful and exhaustive counselling and straight forward and tough litigation skills.’
‘Lasse Laaksonen is eager to listen to his clients needs and to adapt the service. Hanna Pohjola and her team are knowledgeable and responsive.’
‘Lasse Laaksonen is a fantastic IP litigator. He is dogged and relentless. His submissions are crystal clear and he delivers with force. One of my favourite litigators in the whole of Europe. Truly excellent – he has never let me down over more than a decade.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
SodaStream International B.V.
Pernod Richard Europe
Detection Technology Plc
Heraeus Medical GmbH
- Represented Mylan against Gilead in patent and SPC litigation related to HIV blockbuster Truvada.
- Represented SodaStream in a trade mark infringement dispute before the Market Court concerning an infringement of its trade marks.
- Represented the European market leader in bone cement, Heraeus Medical GmbH, and its Nordic subsidiary in a dispute regarding unfair trade practices.
Castrén & Snellman's full-service IP department advises on all aspects of trade mark, copyright and design prosecution work, brand clearances, freedom to operate evaluations, IP strategies, multi-jurisdictional IP portfolio management issues and audits. The team is highly recommended for drafting and negotiating commercial IP agreements and for handling IP-intensive corporate and financial transactions. Other key areas of work include advertising and marketing matters, strategic IP issues, and packaging and labelling requirements. Sakari Salonen leads the team and has extensive experience representing clients in complex patent licensing cases, while counsel Hanna Paloheimo is responsible for the group's life sciences work. Nina Mikander heads up the IP prosecution group.
Sakari Salonen; Nina Mikander; Hanna Paloheimo
Alma Media Corporation
Johnson & Johnson (Janssen-Cilag Oy)
Merck KGaA and Merck Oy
OP Financial Group
The Finnish Composer’s Copyright Society Teosto
- Represented BMW AG before the Finnish Market Court in a complex trade mark and design infringement case that also included a trade mark prosecution before the Finnish Trademark Office and an appeal before the Market Court.
- Advised Valio, Finland’s biggest dairy business and food exporter, on brand protection and IP enforcement matters globally.
- Advising Google on all its day-to-day legal matters in Finland.
Roschier's IP practice handles a broad spectrum of matters, and advises on the entire life cycle of IP, from identification, acquisition and registration issues to enforcements and transactions. Key areas of expertise for the team include anti-counterfeiting and parallel import-related strategies, enforcement issues, licensing work, and IP identification and acquisition strategies. Department head Rainer Hilli has a strong track record in multi-jurisdictional litigation in the pharmaceuticals, media, telecoms and engineering industries, while Mikko Manner and principal associate Johanna Flythström are recommended for strategic and non-contentious IP and technology advice.
Other key lawyers:
Mikko Manner; Johanna Flythström; Johanna Lilja
‘A superb practice with capable and talented individuals that provide important contributions to multi-jurisdictional disputes.’
‘They are very commercially minded and able to respond in a commercial manner which suits us.’
‘We have good personal relationships in place with key employees who make an effort to understand our business and needs.’
‘Johanna Lilja is a supremely talented practitioner – Capable, adaptive, reassuring. Rainer Hilli is a smooth operator, carrying his years of experience with panache. The pre-eminent IP litigation practitioner in Finland.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
The Telia Company
Procter & Gamble
Fiskars Oyj Abp
Moomin Characters Oy Ltd
HERE Global B.V.
Rovio Entertainment Corp.
Stora Enso Oyj
Gilead Sciences Inc.
Eli Lilly and Company Limited
Deutsche Telekom AG
- Advised Nokia regularly on a wide range of IP matters ranging from contentious patent work, IP, patent, trade mark and other IP licensing issues and anti-counterfeiting mandates as well as transactional IP work.
- Represented Gilead Sciences Inc. in five infringement and invalidation actions against generic companies.
- Represented Finnish pharmaceuticals company Orion Oyj as a plaintiff in a trade mark infringement case against Teva Finland Oy (former Ratiopharm Oy) in the Market Court.
Hannes Snellman is distinguished by its trade mark practice, and also advises on patent, trade secret, copyright and privacy litigation. The department is active in IP-intensive transactions and IP-related advisory and contractual matters. Sector strengths include the technology and telecoms, media, entertainment and sports, consumer goods and services, and healthcare, pharmaceuticals and life sciences industries. Panu Siitonen jointly heads up the group with Jesper Nevalainen; managing associate Sarita Schröder is noted for representing clients in trade mark, patent and copyright infringement litigation.
Panu Siitonen; Jesper Nevalainen
Other key lawyers:
‘Panu Siitonen is knowledgeable and practical in his advice. He is a great support in all IP matters ranging from patent strategies to business integrity matters.’
‘They are very professional and knowledgeable and customer-oriented. Very good response times and ability to give brief and to-the-point advice. Particularly strong in patent and trade secret issues.’
‘Panu Siitonen, partner and IPR team leader. Very good presentation and communication skills – helps me as a non-IPR expert to understand and grasp complex IPR issues. Keeps me as a client up to speed and responds within minutes.’
Scandic Hotels Group
European Mobile Operator (Moi Mobiili)
Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC)
- Represented DNA, one of the leading Finnish telecoms companies, in a dispute concerning the alleged infringement and invalidation of Deutsche Telekom’s EU trade mark for the colour magenta.
- Represented Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac (BNIC) in litigation concerning the unlawful use of the geographical indication (GI) Cognac on labels.
- Represented the Finnish Bar Association in litigation before the Finnish Supreme Court concerning the name of an association of other legal professionals.
Krogerus focuses on commercialisation and licensing work for companies in the technology, media, entertainment and telecoms industries. The team also frequently advises leading international companies on the IP aspects of digital services in Finland, as well as IP matters relating to the internet of things, including the licensing and exploitation of data and data strategies. Copyright and media expert Kalle Hynönen heads up the practice, which includes Henri Kaikkonen, who specialises in contentious IP and technology matters, and has particular experience in patent and trade secret disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Young and ambitious team with great knowledge of the subject matter. Prompt and practical advice.’
‘Indisputable legal knowledge and advice, understanding of the business, as well as an incredible eye for detail. You can always count on them and they never miss a thing! ’
‘Very adaptive and reactive.’
‘Kalle Hynönen is a skilled lawyer who is really pleasant to work with and delivers great practical advice. He has also worked as an in-house counsel which gives him great perspective and ability to really understand the client’s reality.’
‘They are in my opinion the best for our business: indisputable legal knowledge and advice, understanding of the business, as well as an incredible eye for detail. You can always count on them and they never miss a thing!’
Oy Hartwall Ab
KKM Power Oy
Technology Industries of Finland
- Advised Technology Industry of Finland, the industry organisation for technology companies in Finland, on the creation of standard contractual terms for the use and licensing of industrial (big) data.
- Advised beverage company Hartwall on trade mark and other IP matters as well as marketing law matters.
- Acted as counsel for Anaika Soinlahti Timber and Anaika Wood Group in patent infringement proceedings before the Market Court.
Properta Attorneys Ltd
IP specialists Hanna-Maija Elo and Kukka Tommila lead the group at Properta Attorneys Ltd, which has extensive experience in the food, fashion, retail, sports and other consumer goods sectors. The team covers the full range of IP services, including trade marks, design rights, copyright, patents, trade secrets, unfair competition issues, marketing work and consumer regulations, with a specialisation in EU and international trade mark filings. Senior associate Emilia Hodge is also noted.
Hanna-Maija Elo; Kukka Tommila
Other key lawyers:
‘Kukka Tommila and the team at Properta manage our trade marks world-wide. They always give us thoughtful recommendations taking into consideration our individual business needs. They have been able to obtain registrations also in the most difficult cases. We appreciate their independent way of working and punctuality. They are excellent professionals and it is truly a joy to work with them.’
‘Punctual, precise and practical advice, with clear proposals and step-plans. Makes the client’s decision-making simple.’
‘Hanna-Maija Elo has provided us with straight forward legal advice on all kinds of intellectual property issues. Service level is excellent and industry knowledge as well. All matters handled have had the outcome we have expected. These matters have been handled with the utmost professionalism. She is an excellent negotiator and skilled lawyer in matters of intellectual property disputes. Would recommend warmly.’
Lidl Suomi Ky
adidas AG / adidas International Marketing B.V.
Rapala VMC Oyj (including Rapala group’s subsidiary companies)
The Association of Finnish Work
Reebok International Limited
Luhta Sportswear Company (also L-Fashion Group Ltd)
Paulig Group (including Gold & Green Foods Oy)
Kalevala Koru Oy (Kalevala Jewelry and Lapponia Jewelry brands)
ETS Nord AS
Kaiko Clothing Company Oy
Oy Halva Ab
RxD Sports Oy
Wistec Training Oy
- Represented MySoda Oy in a trade mark dispute against SodaStream Group.
- Represented Paulig Group in trade mark and design right matters worldwide.
- Represented Finnish listed fishing equipment company Rapala VMC Oyj in the prosecution and execution of Rapala Group’s trade mark and design matters world-wide, and also including EU-wide customs enforcement work.
Avance Attorneys Ltd handles all stages of the IP lifecycle, and regularly provides strategic advice on issues including external funding for innovation projects, and mandates relating to the development and commercialisation of IP. The department has significant experience in the entertainment, medical technology, healthcare and pharmaceuticals fields as well as the food industry. Practice head Topi Siniketo represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Oura Health Oy
Streamr Network AG
Snowprint Studios AB
Freska Finland Oy
Seriously Digital Entertainment
Day 2 Media Oy
- Advised healthtech and wearable pioneer Oura Health on copyright licensing and open source matters.
- Advised materials innovator Paptic Oy on IP licensing negotiations concerning Paptic’s technology, as well as negotiating distribution and joint development agreements with significantly larger competitors.
- Advised listed mobile game developer Next Games on the licensing of IP franchises including The Walking Dead and Blade Runner.
Boutique litigation firm Backström & Co is led by the 'very experienced and knowledgeable' Petri Eskola and is highly renowned for its expertise in relation to patents, trade marks and copyright. The 'highly skilled' team have a 'strong and deep understanding of IP', and advises large multinational clients and Finnish companies on various IP matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a strong and deep understanding of IP related to the pharma industry in particular and IP in general. Furthermore, they are good at getting straight to the point and do not make matters more difficult than necessary.’
‘Highly skilled IP lawyers providing a solid performance in the practice area. Exceptional response times and active communication with the clients.’
‘Always on-time, always punctual, realistic approach.’
‘I would highlight Petri Eskola as a very clever, knowledgeable and experienced partner, who always delivers what you need in time without any unnecessary fuss. Petri Eskola is the kind of value for money which only comes with the combination of analytical skills and experience.’
‘Markus Lampinen is a highly skilled practitioner who can always be counted on.’
Harley-Davidson Europe Limited
Philip Morris International
Nordic Investment Bank
Relax Gaming Ltd
Seagen Denmark ApS
- Represented Sandoz before the Market Court in various patent infringement and preliminary injunction matters.
- Represented Kuljetus-Savolainen Oy before the Market Court as the defendant in patent and utility model infringement matters.
- Represented Peikko Group Oy before the Market Court as the claimant in patent infringement and trade mark infringement matters.
Bird & Bird's IP group is prominent in acting for start-ups in the retail and consumer, life sciences, healthcare, media and telecoms fields. The practice handles trade mark-related matters and joint research and collaboration contracts, as well as IP litigation. Team lead Ella Mikkola has extensive experience in licensing work, assignments, and supply and distribution matters.
- Advised a wellness business on marketing issues and trade marks.
- Advised a technology start-up on IP collaboration and licensing contracts.
- Drafted, filed and handled a number of trade mark oppositions on behalf of Monster Energy.
Dittmar & Indrenius stands out for its strong trade mark practice, and also advises on enforcement, litigation and brand protection issues, licensing matters, copyrights and patents. The team has extensive experience handling IP, technology and data-heavy transactions, with a particular focus on the health technology, wellness and sport industries. Anna Haapanen, who is a noted authority on the patent and copyright aspects of code and technology licensing matters, jointly heads up the practice with Iiris Kivikari.
Anna Haapanen; Iiris Kivikari
Other key lawyers:
Juuri Partners Oy
Kämp Collection Hotels Oy
Sarpaneva Design Oy
Aller Media Oy
Helvar Oy Ab
- Advised Garmin Ltd. on its acquisition of Firstbeat Technologies Oy.
- Advised Helvar Oy Ab on the implementation of a new, data-driven digital services offering, as well as on preparing and negotiating technology, domain and trade mark licensing agreements, IT outsourcing agreements, manufacturing and software development agreements and value added reseller agreements.
- Assisted Sarpaneva Design Oy with the filing of the company’s main trade mark TIMO SARPANEVA DESIGN as a national trade mark registration in Finland and with international trade mark registrations in several jurisdictions around the world, including the US, China and the Republic of Korea.
DLA Piper handles a broad range of IP matters, advising on trade mark, copyright, patent, commercial contracting and outsourcing mandates for clients on an international level. Markus Oksanen jointly leads the team with Sami Rintala, who both specialise in technology, outsourcing and IT matters.
Markus Oksanen; Sami Rintala
LähiTapiola General Mutual Insurance Group
Helsinki City Transport Authority
Varma Mutual Pension
Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) is recognised for its industrial property rights consultancy and protection services, advising clients on trade marks, patents, copyrights and the related rights, designs and trade name issues; the group also handles IP litigation and trade secrets disputes. Petteri Häkkänen, who specialises in trade mark and patent infringement work, trade secrets issues and unfair business practices, jointly leads the team with technology-focused Tiina Ashorn.
Petteri Häkkänen; Tiina Ashorn
Gutsy Animations Oy
Icare Finland Oy
Jean Sibelius Estate
Luteiden torjunta Helle Oy
Natural Resources Institute Finland
Posti Group Corporation
Procter & Gamble
SGN Group Oy
Svenska Österbottens förbund för utbildning och kultur
Urho Tuominen Oy
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- Advised Raisio Nutrition Ltd on updating its iconic ELOVENA brand.
- Assisted VMP Plc with a complex brand and company name change, where its company name was changed to Eezy Plc, and the brand was changed from VMP to EEZY.
- Successfully represented publicly Olvi plc in invalidity proceedings before EUIPO against Finnish beverage company Oy Hartwall Ab’s community design.
Merilampi Attorneys Ltd assists clients with the full range of IP matters, including IP enforcement issues, brand protection work, patents, trade secrets, cross-border strategic advice and IP litigation, as well as media and marketing law mandates. Practice head Henrik af Ursin is highly recommended, and has experience in parallel importing and anti-counterfeit matters.
Henrik af Ursin
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent partner access, wide ranging skill set and expertise.’
‘Henrik af Ursin has represented us for years. Excellent communicator and commercial mindset. Outstanding.’
‘Henrik is dedicated, highly responsive and commercially orientated. With exceptionally broad experience in design, trade mark and unfair competition cases, Henrik is a practitioner at the top of his game. Very warmly recommended.’
‘Henrik af Ursin is a modern and outstanding lawyer. He has managed to set up a first-class team in Finland, not only for trade mark matters but also for copyright and design infringement.’
‘Henrik af Ursin personifies the modern IP landscape: reactive, and innovative on how to provide solutions and services.’
Swedish Tourism Association
Founded in 2016, Dottir Attorneys Ltd. operates in the fields of design, technology and entertainment, and has steadily grown its client roster, which consists of Finnish start-ups and growth companies. The group also handles trade mark and design portfolio issues. Practice head Antti Innanen specialises in trade marks and branding issues, and regularly assists clients with brand management work, design protection issues and acts in IP disputes.
Eero Aarnio, EEAA Oy, Aarnio Design Oy
Flow Festival Oy
Startup Sauna / SLUSH
Goodio (Helsinki Heaven Oy)
Töölö Urban Oy, Nordic Urban Oy
Rabbit Merchandising Oy
Billebeino Clothing and Accessories Oy
M ROOM / M Company Oy
Minna Parikka Shoes Oy
- Advised Startup Foundation on its international expansion, trade mark issues, intellectual property licensings, commercial contracts, copyright work and other legal matters.
- Advised M ROOM on intellectual property matters, contractual matters and the licensing of its intellectual property, especially in drafting M ROOM’s franchisee licensing contracts.
- Advised EEAA Oy on creating and implementing an enforcement strategy.
Lexia Attorneys Ltd handles licensing and IP transactions, as well as protection issues, clearances and planning work, the enforcement of trade marks and other forms of brand protection. The practice also advises on copyright issues including television and game production, architecture and marketing mandates. Team leader Markus Myhrberg has extensive contentious and non-contentious experience in IP-intensive sectors including the software, games, media and entertainment and new tech industries.
‘Very dedicated and diverse team. Agile and fast.’
‘Individuals are easy to work with, well spoken and both the team and individuals are agile. The team is diverse: partners execute more big picture strategic work while the other part of the team are more operational. Good customer service and experience.’
Sony Music Entertainment Finland Oy
Varjo Technologies Oy
Axopar Boats Ltd. / Axopar Holdings Oy
HMD Global Oy
Aito Media Ltd.
Zora Bioscience Oy
- Advised Aito Media on licensing, distribution, format and performance agreements.
- Assisted HMD Global with its license agreements.
- Assisted Axopar with the development of its IP strategy, including advising on applying for trade marks outside the EU and on brand development matters.
Attorneys-at-law Trust. Ltd primarily focuses on transactional IP matters including collaboration agreements, licensing work, franchising agreements and other IP-intensive joint ventures. The team is highly recommended for emerging and innovative companies in the technology sector including start-ups and tech initiatives. Jan Lindberg, who has experience in the manufacturing sector and handles cloud agreements, jointly heads up the practice with Juha Taipale.
Jan Lindberg; Juha Taipale
PTV Gym Oy
eCraft Oy Ab
LRV Corp Oy
Sisua Digital Oy
Lapex Inter Oy
Tietokeskus Finland Oy
- Advised Ptvgym on the development and launch of its gym franchising business model.
- Advised Wihuri on the acquisition of John Deere’s business from Baltic Agro Machinery in Estonia.
- Advised a listed packaging company on its patent licensing transaction with a Finnish forestry sector company.
Waselius & Wist advises on copyrights, trade marks, patents, trade names, domain names, designs and trade secrets, and regularly represents clients accused of infringing rights. Group head Bernt Juthström handles patent litigation and preliminary injunctions, and is experienced in the negotiation and drafting of IP licenses. Åsa Krook joined in 2020 from Borenius.
Other key lawyers:
‘The IP team of Waselius & Wist is highly professional and led by a top partner, Bernt Juthström who has an exceptional experience and recognition in the IP sphere. Bernt is a true leader, focused on quality of the rendered legal services and driven by the goal to meet his clients’ interests.’
‘Waselius & Wist is a great law firm in the Finnish market that has broad experience in advising on a great variety of IP-related matters. The practice’s focus is on both non-contentious transaction work and prosecution and contentious IP litigation. Waselius & Wist has a wide client portfolio covering national Finnish and multinational companies which shows the level of trust among their clients and the firm’s professionalism.’
MSD Finland Oy
- Represented Mars in trade mark and marketing matters in Finland.