Intellectual property in Finland
The strong team at Borenius manages a number of trade mark portfolios for its client roster of major international brands, and also provides IP advice and acts in trade mark and patent litigation. The practice is jointly led by experienced IP advisers and litigators Ben Rapinoja, Lasse Laaksonen, Åsa Krook and Samuli Simojoki and handles the full spectrum of litigation, commercial and technology-related IP matters. Clients regularly originate from the life sciences industry; the team also advises businesses in the technology, IT and chemicals sectors and handles trade mark portfolio issues for Fazer, Kesko and Pernod Ricard.
‘Borenius are one of my go-to firms in the whole of Europe, not just Finland. They are brilliant in IP litigation.‘
‘Lasse Laaksonen has never let me down in about 10 years that we have worked together. I don’t think that he has ever lost a hearing for me! A brilliant communicator – his submissions have incredible clarity even regarding very complex issues. One of the very best.’
SodaStream International B.V.
Pernod Richard Europe
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Absolut Company AB
- Successfully represented Ratiopharm in the Supreme Court in a case relating to the res judicata effect of a final judgement.
- Representing Heraeus Medical GmbH and Heraeus Medical AB in a dispute regarding unfair trade practices.
- Successfully represented Vaisala in a patent dispute.
Castrén & Snellman provides advice on the full range of IP matters including trade mark and copyright prosecutions, the drafting and negotiation of commercial IP agreements and IP litigation encompassing patent, trade mark, copyright, and trade secret disputes. The practice is led by specialist IP litigator Sakari Salonen, and senior associates Nina Mikander and Hanna Paloheimo, who focus on IP prosecution and life sciences work respectively. Clients include pharmaceuticals, financial services and media companies; the team also represented BMW and Crocs in trade mark disputes.
‘Very passionate about their work, swift replies, to the point, very individual solutions for each case.‘
‘Swift replies, high effort, swift replies, good communication.‘
Alma Media Corporation
Johnson & Johnson (Janssen-Cilag Oy)
Merck KGaA and Merck Oy
OP Financial Group
Tactic Games Oy
- Successfully represented BMW before the Market Court in a complex trade mark and design infringement case.
- Advising Crocs on a regular basis on IP enforcement issues including customs seizure matters in Finland and also matters relating to its Finnish IP portfolio.
- Handling global brand protection, prosecution and portfolio management work for OP Corporate Bank.
Roschier maintains a strong IP practice, which advises clients in the life sciences, IT and telecoms industries; key examples include Nokia, Pfizer, and Gilead Sciences. Recent mandates include providing advice on the full IP life cycle from formulation to protection, assisting with the management of trade mark portfolios, and acting in high-profile trade mark infringement proceedings. The experienced and 'agile' team is led by litigator Rainer Hilli; other key individuals includes Mikko Manner, who handles patents, copyright and trade secrets licensing work; and senior associate Johanna Flythström, who focuses on transactional IP matters and technology issues.
‘The team is excellent. They are quick and communicate well.‘
‘Very active, agile and responsive office which understands customer needs.’
‘Unique skill set and dedication.‘
‘Roschier is a leading law firm in Finland and in the Nordics. There is little that needs to be said about the high level of professional skills, which is well known and established. There is however an additional aspect that is perhaps less obvious: they do not seem to rest on their laurels, but continue to develop their competence and offering. The nice thing is that they often involve their clients in training and seminars, creating a better bond and also taking a role of social responsibility in raising awareness and competence in the local IPR and legal community. Many law firm use events as a way to show off their knowledge. Roschier’s message is rather “let’s grow together”.‘
‘Markku Tuominen is able to think beyond what is expected of him.‘
The Telia Company
Procter & Gamble
Moomin Characters Oy Ltd
Rovio Entertainment Corp.
Stora Enso Oyj
Gilead Sciences Inc.
Eli Lilly and Company Limited
- Advising Nokia on a wide range of IP matters including litigation, patent, trade mark and other IP licensing issues, anti-counterfeiting matters and transactional IP work.
- Representing Deutsche Telecom against Finnish telecom operator DNA in infringement proceedings and invalidation proceedings brought by DNA as a counter action.
- Representing Gilead Sciences in five infringement and invalidation actions against generic companies.
Panu Siitonen and Jesper Nevalainen co-head the practice at Hannes Snellman, which handles complex cross-border IP work spanning trade marks, patents, and data protection issues for clients in the entertainment, telecoms and life sciences industries. Key clients include DNA, Microsoft and Santa Claus Licensing; the team also acted for BNIC in a landmark case regarding the protection of geographical indication labels and the illegal use of Cognac on labels. Senior associate Sarita Schröder is also a key name to note and joined the firm in late 2018 from Krogerus.
‘Patent litigation is second to none.’
‘Sarita Schroder is one of the leading IPR professionals in Finland and highly talented in all IPR related matters. She pays attention to the smallest details but also sees the bigger picture clearly. One can really trust her advice.‘
‘Panu Siitonen is the key attorney there and I would trust him with any case.‘
Paulig Ab and Oy Gustav Paulig Ab
Scandic Hotels Group
Microsoft Corporation and Microsoft Oy
Oy Santa Claus Licensing
- Representing DNA in a dispute concerning the alleged infringement and invalidation of Deutsche Telekom’s EU trade mark for the colour magenta, as well as a related dispute concerning Deutsche Telekom’s alleged infringement of DNA’s trade mark rights to the colour pink in Finland.
- Acting for BNIC in litigation concerning the illegal use of the geographical indication Cognac in labels.
- Advised Fazer on its sale of restaurant operations run by Fazer Food Services to Compass Group. The transaction involved various ancillary agreements including complex ICT separation and transitional services agreements as well as brand licensing arrangements for the purchaser to continue using certain Fazer brands.
The 'first-class' practice at Krogerus is headed up by Kalle Hynönen, and specialises in trade mark and IP work for media and telecoms companies including DNA, Moskito Television and Rabbit Films; the group also handles data protection and compliance matters. Senior associate Henri Kaikkonen recently joined from Inventio Attorneys, bringing unique experience in patent-related work. The team also advised Technology Industry of Finland, the industry organisation for technology companies in Finland, on the creation of standard contractual terms for the use and licensing of industrial big data. Sarita Schröder is now at Hannes Snellman.
‘The team works very well together and provides excellent advice when needed – on a tight schedule.’
‘High quality knowledge of intellectual property matters.’
‘First-class IP practice.’
‘High quality legal skills and understanding combined with hardworking practical approach. They do their best to make complex issues clear in a simple language.‘
‘Mr Kalle Hynönen and Mr Henri Kaikkonen are very engaged and truly care about our business and our company’s needs. They are talented and smart but also very easy to work with and I appreciate their help a lot.‘
‘My company mainly works with Kalle Hynönen who I personally see as one of the top intellectual property lawyers in Finland. Kalle’s background as a corporate lawyer together with high knowledge and understanding of the intellectual property legislation makes him stand out from competitors. He has a genuine interest in the world of IPR that gives an extra boost to the legal services provided.‘
‘Partner Kalle Hynönen is among the best IP professionals in Finland.‘
Technology Industries of Finland
- Advising Technology Industry of Finland on the creation of standard contractual terms for the use and licensing of industrial big data.
- Representing DNA before the Finnish Supreme Court in a number of appeals against rulings handed down by the Finnish Market Court.
- Representing DNA in a multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning the alleged infringement and invalidation of Deutsche Telekom’s European Union trade mark for the colour magenta.
Properta Attorneys Ltd
Experienced IP specialists Hanna-Maija Elo and Kukka Tommila head up the practice at Properta Attorneys Ltd, which acts for a range of noteworthy clients including Adidas, Reebok and Food Folk on a variety of IP and trade mark matters including portfolio management issues, trade mark protection work and strategy mandates. Elo and senior associate Emilia Hodge represented MySoda in a high-profile trade mark infringement dispute against Sodastream.
‘The firm has been very good with complicated trade mark registration processes as well as with intellectual property related disputes. These matters have been handled with the utmost professionalism. In-depth knowledge of these matters have been apparent and obvious.’
‘We have worked with Emilia Hodge and Sassa Svahn. They have been very thorough with our case. Our case has been very complicated, as we are trying to register a new kind of trademarks and the answers from EUIPO has been very inconsistent. Properta has worked hard to figure out the best solution for us. With them I feel that they really think about what would be best for us, and are not just trying to charge us much as they can.‘
adidas AG / adidas International Marketing B.V.
Reebok International Limited
Oy Halva Ltd
Food Folk (McDonald’s Finland)
Rapala VMC Oyj
Kalevala Koru Oy
Luhta Sportswear Company (L-Fashion Group Ltd)
RxD Sports Ltd
R/H Studio, Riiheläinen ja
KAIKO Clothing Company Oy
Nuppu Print Company Oy
- Representing MySoda in a significant trade mark infringement case against SodaStream Group.
- Representing Rapala VMC in the prosecution and execution of Rapala’s trade mark and design matters also including EU-wide customs enforcement issues.
- Handling trade mark, design right, copyright and domain name prosecution and execution issues at a global level for international interior design retailer Pentik.
Avance Attorneys Ltd advises clients on all areas of IP work from the conception of protectable ideas to post-protection issues including licensing, trade mark and naming matters; the team acts for a client roster which includes companies in the entertainment industry and healthcare and pharmaceuticals sectors. The team, which is jointly led by Topi Siniketo and Elina Saviharju, also acts in IP and trade secret disputes.
Oura Health Oy
Next Games Oy
Small Giant Games Oy
Streamr Network AG
Snowprint Studios AB
Kaiho Republic Oy
- Advised Next Games on licensing arrangements.
- Advised Paptic on patent and trade secret licensing issues with a number of paper and pulp manufacturers.
- Advised Streamr on copyright licensing matters and investigating possible trade name and trade mark issues.
Boutique IP litigation firm Backström & Co represents prominent clients in the pharmaceuticals industry, including Pfizer and KRKA, in IP and trade mark disputes, patent infringement cases, preliminary injunctions, damages claims and unfair competition work. The group also advises on product prelaunch issues and day-to-day IP work. The team is led by 'highly skilled litigator' Petri Eskola.
‘A boutique firm especially known for its ability and agility in IP and commercial litigation, that has in-depth experience. They are very responsive, experienced and able to quickly answer any questions in this field in my experience. Their ability to litigate and win cases for their clients has been noted. Compared to other law firms in the same field of expertise, I find Backstrom & Co refreshingly down to earth and approachable. ‘
‘Extremely capable, service minded and experienced in IP and pharma law. Very responsive and efficient.’
‘Petri Eskola has a ton of experience and his ability to focus on the essential stands out. In addition he is a very approachable lawyer and a highly skilled litigator who thrives in the courtroom.‘
‘Ability to listen and the courage to give the answers one does not want to hear. Practical approach to complicated issues. Ability to simplify without losing the focus.‘
‘Ability to have different opinions without generating resistance but going deeper into the case. Second opinions that work. I have worked with Petri Eskola.‘
‘I would especially highlight Petri Eskola, with whom I have worked on many cases. He is knowledgeable, internationally minded, experienced and diligent.‘
‘Backstrom & Co. has a great selection of attorneys with special expertise suitable for just our needs. Strong emphasis is put on business and IPR-law.‘
‘We’ve mostly used Petri Eskola as our contact point, and he always delivers quality work with amazing response rates.‘
Harley-Davidson Europe Limited
Philip Morris International
Docler Holding S.a.r.l.
- Represented KRKA in a preliminary injunction before the Market Court and Supreme Court.
- Represented Sandoz in a patent infringement matter before the Market Court.
- Represented Harley Davidson as the opposition party in trade mark proceedings.
IP specialist Ella Mikkola leads the practice at Bird & Bird, which acts for start-ups and businesses across a range of industries including healthcare, telecoms and gaming. The group handles patent work, employee invention matters and trade mark issues; in a recent highlight, the practice advised Monster Energy on its IP mandates. The department has also represented several noteworthy companies and individuals in IP litigation.
The practice at Dittmar & Indrenius, now led by Iiris Kivikari and Anna Haapanen, assists with IP prosecution and protection work, asset structuration issues and marketing matters for a varied client list, which includes several international brands and organisations as well as businesses in the energy and technology industries. The arrival of Haapanen from Roschier bolstered the team's experience in technology IP matters including IP carve-outs and open-source licensing work. Henrik Ursin departed to Merilampi Attorneys Ltd.
‘Small yet powerful team with genuine interest in understanding and helping the client’s business.‘
‘Very good knowledge on IPR and patents. Proven track record in cases.‘
‘Individuals are always friendly and work in a prompt and effective way. Knowledge is available from our contact person and if needed, she quickly builds up a team of experts with specific knowledge to respond to our needs. Our key contact persons have been Hanna-Mari Manninen and Henna Aukia.‘
‘Professional, easy to work with. Delivers according to promises.‘
‘Even though competence as such is kind of evident, in this team it is on the next level. Also the communication and business understanding makes the difference. In many law firms there is no lack of competence, but poor communication means that there is no added value for the customer. The challenge for IP as a practice area is that many firms are too specialised in one sector (e.g. trademarks and or patents only), whereas Dittmar has a wider approach, anything from technology licenses to data ownership. In addition, in this firm the partners work together as well meaning there is natural input from other practises, such as IT/tech and data protection.‘
‘Iiris Kivikari is that rare combination of outstanding competence, good communication skills, sense of humour and tact plus willingness and curiosity to understand clients specific environments. Henna Aukia and other team members are at same level and Dittmar has managed to create really good team spirit.‘
World Wildlife Fund WWF
Veho Oy Ab
Power Finland Oy
Kämp Collection Hotels Oy
The Finnish National Rescue Association SPEK
Crisis Management Initiative
Ronald McDonald Children House Fund
Aktia Bank Plc
- Advising Ikea on brand protection and marketing matters relating to the client’s Finnish presence.
- Handles all issues arising from WWF’s Finnish IP portfolio.
- Advising Veho on all IP-related matters.
Led by Markus Oksanen and John-Henrik Spåre, DLA Piper advises clients on a variety of IP issues including trade mark strategies, licensing agreements, trade secret matters and IP disputes. Clients include food and beverage, technology and real estate companies. The team also strengthened its IT and privacy expertise with the recruitment of Sami Rintala from Lexia Attorneys Ltd in 2019.
Func Food Finland Oy
PYN Fund Management Oy
- Advising Func Food Finland on its trade mark strategy, IP protection work and infringement issues.
- Advising Spinnova on negotiating a licence agreement, a joint venture agreement and strategic investments.
- Advised Primehotels on negotiating three licence and franchising agreements with Marriott International.
Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) advises clients on IP identification, registration, protection and defence matters and also represents companies in trade mark violation and trade secrets disputes. The team is jointly led by IP specialist Petteri Häkkänen and Tiina Ashorn, and counts noteworthy names including Arla Foods and Posti Group as clients; the group also utilises the firm's global network to handle cross-border issues.
‘Good mix of highly technical expertise in our field and strategic guidance.‘
‘Extremely good fit for our background and our core technology. Great grasp of what we do.‘
Posti Group Oyj
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
Arla Foods amba
Procter & Gamble
Estate of Jean Sibelius
Raisio Oyj (Raisio Group)
Gutsy Animations Oy
IP-Agency Finland Ltd
Zora Biosciences Oy
SGN Group Oy
- Advising Nammo Lapua on its patent and wider IP matters.
- Successfully represented F-Safety in a design rights dispute in the Market Court.
Led by Bernt Juthström, Waselius & Wist's practice acts across the full spectrum of IP matters including the protection and enforcement of copyrights, trade marks, patents and trade secrets, with a particular strength in trade secrets disputes, which leveraged the firm's wider focus on litigation. Notable international clients include Mars and Samsung. In a recent mandate, Juthström represented MSD Finland in a high-profile patent dispute relating to medical biosimilars, the first case of this type in Finland.
‘Always give deep and thorough advice. Experienced lawyers with a good reputation.‘
‘Bernt Juthström is one of the best lawyers in his field in Finland and the Nordic region. He is sharp and to the point with excellent analytical skills.‘
Chr. Hansen A/S
Hardware Group Finland Oy
Electronics Nordic AB
MSD Finland Oy
- Successfully represented MSD Finland in a patent dispute regarding a biosimilar medicinal product.
- Advised Mars on trade mark and marketing matters in Finland.
- Advised AEM Holdings on its acquisition of Afore and the accompanying transfer of patents to new ownership.
Dottir Attorneys Ltd. primarily acts for clients in the technology, design and entertainment industries, and advises on trade mark portfolio maintenance issues, trade mark strategy work and represents companies in enforcement proceedings. The practice is led by Antti Innanen, who is a specialist in trade marks and branding matters.
Flow Festival Oy
Wolt Enterprises Oy
Rabbit Merchandising Oy
BilleBeino Clothing and Accessories Oy
Minna Parikka Shoes Oy
- Advising Rabbit Merchandising on trade mark prosecution issues and licensing agreements.
- Advising Minna Parikka on creating and implementing its IP and trade mark strategy and enforcement strategy.
- Advising Flow Festival on trade mark issues, contractual issues relating to IP and commercial contracts.
Led by experienced IP lawyer Markus Myhrberg, Lexia Attorneys Ltd advises clients on the full spectrum of IP matters including licensing agreements, strategy work and IP protection issues; the team also represents clients in copyright and trade mark disputes. Notable international clients include Sony and Aito Media.
Sony Music Entertainment Finland Oy
Varjo Technologies Oy
Axopar Boats Ltd. /Axopar Holdings Oy
HMD Global Oy
Aito Media Ltd.
Zora Bioscience Oy
- Advised Aito Media on its licensing, distribution, format and performance agreements.
- Assisting Axopar with the development of its IPR strategy including its applications for trade marks outside the EU and ongoing brand development matters.
- Advising Sony Music Entertainment Finland on IP matters.
At Merilampi Attorneys Ltd, the arrival of new practice head Henrik af Ursin from Dittmar & Indrenius has significantly boosted the firm's IP expertise, which encompasses the full range of IP-related matters including IP enforcement issues, brand protection work, patents, trade secrets, cross-border IP strategies and IP litigation. In a notable recent trade mark mandate, the group advised Burberry in Finland on infringements of its significant international trade mark portfolio; the team also advised on the IP elements of several M&A transactions.
‘We are working with lateral hire Henrik af Ursin and his team. The team is super-responsive, very easy to work with, down to earth, superb qualified and always provides clear and sharp results.‘
‘Henrik af Ursin has stellar expertise in all trademark and counterfeit matters. He knows what he is talking about and always comes up with thoughtful, efficient and pragmatic solutions. He has an impressive client base and network.‘
‘So great to work with this team: It is very versatile, and they provide excellent advice with IP from IP protection to enforcement to litigation to entertainment law. I appreciate their responsiveness, and they always have a very keen eye on the business ramifications of all legal advice they dispense.‘
‘Henrik af Ursin is definitely an outstanding lawyer. I have been working with him for many years. I had worked with others when conflicted and I always come back to Henrik! He has a deep knowledge of Finnish but also EU law. He was a real business partner when we had to deal with complex parallel import cases or regulatory questions in Finland, Needless to say that he is responsive.‘
‘Willing to fully serve customer needs. It truly feels their focus is not on just completing the assigned task but to solve your challenges to the extent required.’
‘I worked with Noora Arkia on our company IPR strategy. She was an absolute expert on the field. What we mostly appreciated was how she not only answered the questions we had but also provided valuable insights to areas and topics we had not considered ourselves. Through that the end result was better than we had expected, leaving us satisfied and committed to work with Noora also in the future.‘
‘I have only worked with Noora Arkia. She’s outstanding!‘
‘Henrik af Ursin is all around a great lawyer to work with. Sharp, committed, responsive and very good at anti-counterfeiting.‘
- Representing Burberry in all trade mark infringements in Finland.
Technology boutique Attorneys-at-law Trust. Ltd has strengthened its IP practice with the arrival of Juha Taipale from Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland), who jointly leads the group with Jan Lindberg. The team acts for clients on transactional IP matters including licensing and franchising agreements, and also represents companies in IP disputes. The group's client roster primarily encompasses emerging companies in the technology sector including start-ups and new tech initiatives.
Griffin Refineries Oy
IFS Finland OY
- Assisted Sisua Digital with its establishment including the transfer of IP assets.