Castrén & Snellman undertakes both private and public enforcement proceedings, as well as compliance, merger control, procurement and state aid matters. The firm's work frequently has an international or industry-wide element. Sari Hiltunen leads the team and represents clients in litigation including acting in follow-on damages cases arising from the asphalt cartel, as well as advising on merger control work. Anna Kuusniemi-Laine takes on public procurement work including representing the City of Pori before the Supreme Administrative Court, specialising in the life sciences, construction and energy sectors. Jussi Nieminen acts as counsel in regulatory enforcement proceedings and handles multijurisdictional merger control issues.
EU and competition in Finland
Other key lawyers:
Anna Kuusniemi-Laine; Jussi Nieminen
Wärtsilä Oyj Abp
OP Financial Group
VR Group Ltd
Veikkaus Oy, the Finnish gaming monopoly
Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy
Mutares SE & Co. KGaA
- Represented VR Group Ltd in the first HSL commuter train traffic tender in history. VR Group won the tender and will continue HSL commuter traffic operation and train fleet maintenance until 2031. The contract value is approximately €400m.
- Represented Oy Pohjolan Liikenne Ab in a competition law matter before the Finnish Supreme Administrative Court concerning an alleged cartel in the bus and coach transportation markets.
- Advised investment group Mutares SE & Co. KGaA when its portfolio company Donges Group acquired Ruukki Building Systems Oy and its subsidiaries from Rautaruukki Corporation, a subsidiary of SSAB Group. The firm successfully secured clearance for the transaction from the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority in the second phase with remedies and without time extensions.
Involved in landmark infringement and damages matters including large cartel and abuse of dominance cases, Dittmar & Indrenius acts for both defendants and the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority (FCCA). The team has recently defended a client against the FCCA's current infringement investigation into the taxi market, and has seen its high-end transactional work increase; it recently advised Telenor on its €1.5bn acquisition of DNA, and practice head Ilkka Leppihalme led on a rare Phase II merger control mandate. Senior attorney Heidi Muukkonen has particular experience in advising automotive clients and handles public procurements.
Other key lawyers:
City of Espoo
Tampereen Aluetaksi Oy
Nordic Entertainment Group AB
Providence Strategic Growth Capital Partners L.L.C.
Ahlström Capital Oy
Auris Kaasunjakelu Oy
Fennia Mutual Insurance Company
Nets Denmark A/S
Trustly Group AB
- Acted for bus traffic operator Nobina in the European Court of Justice and Finnish courts in a state aid case.
- Acted for the City of Espoo and numerous other cities, municipalities and ports in an extensive bundle of antitrust damages cases.
- Acted for MB Funds on its acquisition of A-Katsastus Group in an unusual Phase II merger control matter, where competition concerns of the FCCA stemmed from vertical rather than horizontal aspects.
Roschier's full-service team regularly advises on a range of issues including merger control, cartel, dominance and other competition law processes and litigation. The group fields a strong private enforcement practice, representing clients in private damages claims, and has niche expertise in assisting non-EU residents with foreign investment control notifications. The competition advisory practice also draws on the expertise of the firm's M&A, corporate, dispute resolution and IP practices. Key sector strengths lie in the energy, forestry, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, transport, media and telecoms, retail and agriculture industries. Practice head Ami Paanajärvi has appeared before the European Commission, the Finnish Competition Authority and domestic courts as well as the European Court of Justice; Christian Wik is also active in this space.
Other key lawyers:
‘Christian Wik is a very practical and knowledgeable competition lawyer offering quality advice. He is direct and to the point thus communicating very efficiently.’
‘They are able to take a very practical approach to problems at hand. Their availability / speedy responses are also much appreciated.’
‘High level of professionalism and attitude in everything they do. Communication skills and ability to co-operate are great.’
‘Ami Paanajärvi is very approachable and excellent in communicating complex competition rules to business people in a practical and pragmatic manner.’
Stora Enso Oyj
Carlsberg/Oy Sinebrychoff Ab
Eltel Networks and Eltel Group
TV4 Media AB
- Representing the Eltel companies in cartel proceedings pending in the European Court of Justice.
- Acted as lead counsel for Tieto on its merger with EVRY and coordinated the merger control filings in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Ukraine.
- Acted as lead counsel for Neles Corporation on Alfa Laval AB’s recommended public cash tender offer for all shares of Neles.
Avance Attorneys Ltd has particular expertise in merger control work, handling three Phase II cases notified to the FCCA. Co-led by Mikko Alkio and Katja Jaakkola, the practice works closely with head of economics Petri Rouvinen, combining legal expertise and economic analysis. The team has recently gained clients in the health and social care sector, advising on acquisitions as well as the competition aspects of a reform in the Finnish social welfare and healthcare system. The group also handles state aid regulation and public procurement work, and recently acted for Medialiitto ry (the Finnish Media Federation) in a state aid complaint before the European Commission.
Mikko Alkio; Katja Jaakkola; Petri Rouvinen
‘Extremely competent, trustworthy and flexible service. We have been very satisfied and have achieved remarkable victories with the team.’
‘Mikko Alkio – Understanding covers not only the legal side but all processes, communication and politics regarding our cases. Takes responsibility for our whole work, not just what we have asked for.’
Alfa Laval AB
Ruukki Construction Oy
Alma Media Oyj
If P&C Insurance Ltd
Medialiitto ry (the Finnish Media Federation)
The City of Tampere
University of Eastern Finland
- Advised healthcare and social care provider Mehiläinen Yhtiöt Oy on its acquisition of Pihlajalinna Oyj.
- Represented the Finnish Media Federation in a state aid complaint procedure before the European Commission.
- Advised Greenfood Group on its acquisition of the fresh fruit and vegetables business of Apetit Oyj.
Borenius recently represented clients in the bus cartel case before the Supreme Administrative Court, and also acts as counsel in a range of cartel investigations before the FCCA and courts. The group also handles follow-on damages matters and represented NCC Industry and its subsidiary Interasfaltti in a case leading on from the asphalt cartel action. Other work includes advising clients including Finnair on state aid matters and assisting potential suppliers with defence procurements by the Finnish Defence Forces. Practice head Ilkka Aalto-Setälä provides 'innovative and creative solutions'.
Other key lawyers:
Asko Lindqvist; Henriikka Piekkala; Sami Hartikainen
‘They have extremely strong experience in this field and very practical approaches to problems.’
‘Ilkka Aalto-Setälä has strong experience, he can came up with innovative and creative solutions, an excellent and pragmatic lawyer.’
NCC Industry Oy
Kela – the Social Insurance Institution of Finland
Nordea Bank Finland Plc
Oy Matkahuolto Ab
The Finnish Bus and Coach Association
The Finnish Real Estate Management Federation
Suomen Taksiliitto ry (The Finnish Taxi Drivers Association)
Valmet Automotive Oy
Fox Networks Group
Sanomalehtien liitto ry
- Assisted Finnair with state aid questions relating to its fully underwritten rights offering of approximately €500m.
- Represented airport operator Finavia before the Market Court, where it defended its right to apply a long-haul incentive scheme as a part of its regulated airport charges.
- Represented the Finnish Real Estate Management Federation in connection with the FCCA’s cartel investigation.
Frontia Attorneys at Law Ltd
Frontia Attorneys at Law Ltd has a particularly strong offering for clients in the construction, forestry and agriculture industries, and is also highly recommended for public sector clients. The practice handles state aid cases, other competition litigation and is especially active in merger control work. Niko Hukkinen has extensive experience in dominance matters, international mergers and horizontal and vertical co-operation issues; he jointly leads the team with Mikael Wahlbeck.
Niko Hukkinen; Mikael Wahlbeck
‘Frontia was quite recently established by top-notch competition litigation attorneys, and I believe that I am not alone in saying that there are not many practices comparable to their experience in competition litigation (whether enforcement or damages cases) in Finland.’
‘They are proactive, efficient and great team-players who always have a well thought-out proposal ready for you. As a client I feel that our case is in good hands and I trust their judgment.’
‘Experienced lawyers who also understand the customer needs.’
‘Niko Hukkinen has good understanding of business, his work product is not too theoretical but also business people can read it.’
‘Mikael Wahlbeck has broad and extensive experience in all aspects of competition law. He is hands on and gives practical advice in all situations. A valuable partner in any situation.’
The Joint Authority of the Helsinki and Uusimaa Hospital District
The City of Espoo
The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency
- Defending Jackon in a large cartel case pending before the Finnish Market Court.
- Advising Fortum on its €6.5bn acquisition of Uniper.
- Represented the main defendant, YIT, in the long-running asphalt cartel litigation.
Hannes Snellman is highly recommended for complex and cross-border merger control and transactional work, acting for an extensive roster of corporate clients; the team also handles advisory, compliance and investigatory matters. Mikko Huimala, who has significant experience advising media conglomerates, jointly heads up the practice with Maria Wasastjerna, who focuses on the banking and industrial sectors.
Mikko Huimala; Maria Wasastjerna
Other key lawyers:
‘I have mainly worked with the team in several merger control matters and I can warmly recommend the firm. They are very experienced, have solid resources to handle large cases efficiently, and also understand competition economics well.’
‘The team was very committed and flexible, and very quick to grasp the circumstances of our business and capable of efficiently applying this knowledge against the applicable legal framework. This is not an easy task for an external consultant but they managed to do it very well, which resulted in efficient results.’
‘Mikko Huimala is an outstanding competition law attorney. Moreover he’s a very nice guy, and he takes good care of a client. He gets a grip of the market and the issue at hand quickly and knows how to raise the right questions. His advice is balanced and practical going forward.’
‘Maria Wasastjerna is amazing both as a person and as a competition law adviser.’
Finnish State / Prime Minister’s Office
- Advised the media corporation Sanoma Group on the successful merger clearance of its acquisition of Alma Media’s regional news media business.
- Acted as counsel for Kesko in merger control proceedings concerning Kesko’s contemplated acquisition of a multicategory wholesaler Heinon Tukku Oy before the FCCA and the Market Court.
- Acted for Outotec in merger control proceedings before the EU Commission and a number of jurisdictions worldwide concerning its combination with Metso Minerals through a demerger of Metso.
HPP Attorneys is singled out for its track record in cartel litigation and administrative proceedings; the team also regularly represents defendants in private enforcement cases, including abuse of dominance cases and claims for follow-on damages. The department advises on merger control and cross-border transactions, with particular strength in the pharmaceuticals, aviation, logistics, retail and shipping sectors. Tuomas Saraste heads up the group with Jouni Alanen, who adds significant experience in public procurement work and advises municipalities and state-owned companies.
Tuomas Saraste; Jouni Alanen
‘The practice certainly deserves to be noted for its diligence and professionalism thanks to a highly knowledgeable and helpful team.’
‘Practice leader Tuomas Saraste is highly skilled and experienced; a brilliant and truly business-focused lawyer.’
‘Deep and broad understanding of the segment combined with great team building. Partners personal commitment to the assignments and quick response and channel through times are excellent without compromising the quality of deliverables.’
‘Human touch and specialist for all types of problems we have to solve.’
Euromaster (part of Michelin Group)
- Defended UK-Muovi in the suspected EPS insulation cartel process before the Finnish Market Court.
- Represented Eltel Group and Eltel Networks before the European Court of Justice in the suspected power transmission line building cartel process.
- Advised Caverion on a transaction where it acquired all of the shares in Maintpartner Group Oy, including its subsidiaries in Finland, Poland and Estonia.
The team at Krogerus regularly acts in demanding merger control procedures, before the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority and the European Commission. Other key areas of work include abuse of dominance and public procurement issues; the practice has numerous clients in the energy, media, pharmaceuticals and telecoms sectors. Department co-heads Katri Joenpolvi and Leena Lindberg both previously worked at the Finnish Competition Authority and have wide-ranging experience handling investigations and litigation. Simo Autio and Tulia Tanskanen are noted for their EU law expertise.
Katri Joenpolvi; Leena Lindberg
Other key lawyers:
Simo Autio; Tulia Tanskanen
‘High level of expertise and experience.’
‘Professionalism, service ability, innovation ability, fast responsiveness.’
‘A broad experience and knowledge of national competition law and practice especially in maritime sector.’
‘Partner Leena Lindberg continues to provide valuable hands-on advice. An extremely experienced professional.’
‘Excellent team with very experienced lawyers who have good understanding.’
‘Very high-level knowledge of EU competition law combined with business-driven approach.’
Finnish Bus and Coach Association
Finnish Food and Drink Industries’ Federation
Danske Bank Oyj
Attendo Suomi Oy
- Represented Pohjolan Matka before the Supreme Administrative Court in cartel proceedings related to the bus transport sector.
- Acted for Isojoen Konehalli Oy in proceedings related to alleged illegal resale price maintenance issues.
- Acted for construction and civil engineering company PEAB AB in merger control proceedings before the European Commission.
Merilampi Attorneys Ltd is recognised for its track record in merger control, cartel, abuse of dominance and follow-on damages claims, as well as public procurement cases. The telecoms and electricity sectors are particular areas of strength for the group, and are industries where practice head Erkko Ruohoniemi has significant experience. Satu-Anneli Kauranen is recommended for her expertise in compliance and EU regulatory law, especially concerning chemicals, food and product safety issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Proactivity, quick and friendly responses.’
‘Satu-Anneli Kauranen is a highly responsive, proactive and business-oriented subject matter expert.’
‘Satu-Anneli Kauranen brings excellent and broad knowledge and is a great communicator.’
‘All the team members in EU and competition practice are very service minded, hardworking and definitely highly professional. The team works seamlessly together and the responsible partner is always on top of the things. One of the biggest strengths of the team is the fast response times and ability to get acquainted with things quickly.’
‘Satu-Anneli Kauranen and the whole team is easily approachable and easy to work with. Satu-Anneli is able to think the best interests of the client in different perspectives. She has excellent knowledge on competition law.’
Posti Group Corporation
Isku Interior Ltd.
Sweco AB / Sweco Industry Ltd.
Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
- Represented Länsilinjat Ltd. in a cartel case before the Market Court and the Supreme Administrative Court.
- Represented Sweco AB before the FCCA in merger control proceedings related to Sweco’s acquisition of NRC Group’s rail infrastructure engineering and consulting services business.
- Advised Mutual Pension Insurance Company Elo and Mutual Pension Insurance Company Varma on the creation of a joint venture.
With a strong international and Nordic presence, Bird & Bird's competition team works closely with the firm's Brussels competition and EU group. The group uses technological innovations particularly in dawn raid situations, for which it provides a downloadable app to assist clients with compliance and an AI-based platform for document review. Practice head Katia Duncker leads the team and has notable experience in litigation including representing MTV Oy in an abuse of dominance dispute, as well as handling public procurement issues and M&A transactions.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly professional and they take very quick action following all our requests. We can always trust that our company’s benefit comes first.’
‘Päivi Tammilehto is absolutely the best professional that I have worked with. She has extremely wide knowledge about competition legislation and she has a very professional way to tell us what would be the best thing for our company. Päivi is my top person who I turn to whenever I need any kind of legal advice.’
Savon Taksidata Oy
Kymenlaakson Taksi Oy
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Advised Finnish media group MTV Oy on competition law issues relating to abuse of dominance and copyright matters.
- Advised Mitsubishi Electric Corporation on its investment into EKE-Electronics Ltd, whereby Mitsubishi Electric acquired a 34% stake in EKE-Electronics.
- Advised Lähitaksi Oy on competition law matters, especially in relation to an alleged dominant position.
DLA Piper is active in public procurement and state aid matters, with experience in competition neutrality and cartel cases as well as vertical and horizontal dominance claims. Practice head Mika Oinonen has a background in merger control and public and private regulatory work. With access to an extensive global network, the team is well-positioned to act for international clients.
‘The team is top-quality: it is prompt, knowledgeable and helpful.’
‘Practice head Mika Oinonen is extremely skilled and experienced.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable, their professionalism can be trusted and in addition it is nice to work with them.’
‘They have extensive experience in the field and they are easily approachable.’
The EU and competition group at Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) focuses on state aid and antitrust cases, and provides advice on public procurement mandates. Practice head Olli Hyvönen has significant experience in cartel matters, including investigations and damages litigation. The team also has a strong record in representing municipalities.
‘I have worked with Mr Olli Hyvönen (partner) as he gave us legal advice on how to answer to the authorities regarding a very important procurement case. I found it very easy to work and communicate with him. He helped us to defend our case and was quickly able to understand complex legal and business issues and was able to point out new legal arguments for the case.’
City of Vantaa
Koiviston Auto Group
Helsingin Bussiliikenne Oy
ISS Palvelut Oy
Regional Council of South-West Finland
Oulu University Hospital (OYS)
Municipality of Nurmijärvi
Natural Resources Institute Finland
Finnish Association of Speech Therapists
Municipality of Enontekiö
- Represented Helsingin Bussiliikenne Oy in state aid proceedings in the European Court of Justice.
- Represented Helsingin Bussiliikenne Oy in state aid proceedings in the Helsinki Administrative Court.
- Represented municipalities in private enforcement proceedings in the Supreme Court and European Court of Justice concerning claims for damages arising from the asphalt cartel.
Procopé & Hornborg handles a wide range of competition law matters, and is particularly known for contentious work and its track record in damages claims. The team is also knowledgeable in complex vertical issues and setting up distribution channels. The practice has core strength in the rail, automotive, energy, retail, media and agriculture sectors. Litigators Lotta Uusitalo and Asta Siponen jointly head up the department.
Lotta Uusitalo; Asta Siponen
- Represented Fenniarail Ltd in a case related to certain services across the Finnish–Russian border for rail freight transport concerning alleged unfair pricing and other pricing regulation.
Lotta Pohjanpalo leads the practice at Waselius & Wist, which handles numerous domestic, multi-jurisdictional and EU merger control analyses and filings relating to cross-border transactions. Other key areas of work include horizontal agreements, abuse of dominance claims, distribution issues and other commercial relationships. The team particularly stands out for its experience in the pharmaceuticals and medical device sectors.
‘Unique to this company is the ability to quickly understand the problem that needs to be solved and come up with correct advice – even under severe time pressure.’
‘Accurate and fast advice on corporate and public tenders matters.’
‘Lotta Pohjanpalo is the person who embodies the company in the best way. Together with her, we have won legal disputes that seemed completely impossible to win.’
‘I’ve worked with Lotta Pohjanpalo and her knowledge is excellent in connection with EU procurement law. She is familiar with previous Finnish Market Court cases. Her solid experience and skills set her apart from the lawyers used by competitors, for example.’
Maksuturva Group Oy
First State Investments
- Advised on Loomis AB’s proposed acquisition of Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy from Nordea Bank plc, OP Financial Group and Danske Bank, Finnish branch.
- Represented Ascensia Diabetes Care Finland Oy in public procurement litigation in the Market Court relating to a major procurement by the Joint Municipal Authority of the East Savo Hospital District of blood glucose meters, test strips, lancing devices and lancets.
- Represented Ascensia Diabetes Care Finland Oy in public procurement litigation in the Market Court relating to a major procurement by TeeSe Botnia Oy of blood glucose meters and related supplies.
Aimo Halonen heads up the practice at Mäkitalo Attorneys Ltd, which focuses on public procurement work arising from projects including hospitals and power plants. The team advises clients including public institutions, municipalities and church parishes, and is recommended for energy and construction sector companies.
Ministry of Finance
Tampereen Sähkölaitos Oy
- Advised Lounavoima Oy on public procurement processes relating to an energy construction project.
- Advised the Ministry of Finance of Finland on a frame agreement.
- Advised the state-owned development company SoteDigi Oy on competition law matters.
Boutique firm Merkurius Attorneys specialises in competition work; it is active in public procurement mandates and regularly represents clients in cartel cases. Practice head Kirsi-Marja Salokangas is an expert in public procurement legislation and processes, and advises on complex competition law matters.
City of Tampere
Lakeuden Etappi Oy
Niemen Tehtaat Oy
Nokas CMS Oy
Oy Woikoski Ab
Pirkanmaan Voimia Oy
Tampereen aikuiskoulutussäätiö sr
Tampereen kaupunkiseudun elinkeino- ja kehitysyhtiö
Business Tampere Oy
Visit Tampere Oy
Tampereen Vera Oy
The Baltic Institute of Finland
Galderma Nordic AB
- Represented Länsilinjat in a high-profile cartel case brought against several bus companies.
- Assisted Tampereen Sähkölaitos Oy with various public procurement and competition matters.
- Represented Oy Woikoski Ab in a public procurement appeal before the Market Court against Helsinki University Hospital HUS.