The Employment & Incentives team at Al Tamimi & Company has ‘in-depth knowledge of how Egyptian regulators actually implement local law on the ground’, remarks a client. The firm advises clients on recruitments and dismissals, regulatory aspects, risk management, and bonus and incentive schemes, amongst others. Lead partner Ayman Nour is an expert in labour law as well as incentives and has advised numerous high-profile clients on covid-19 related employment issues. Senior associate Nadine Khaled has experience in drafting employment contracts, preparing exit strategies, and advising on social insurance law.
Employment in Egypt
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very responsive and committed. Whenever a legal advice was requested/needed, they studied the case well, and provided complete legal feedback that helped us.’
‘Both are very committed, responsive, helpful, and hardworking.’
‘Good knowledge and pragmatic advice.’
‘The team are very talented, fast response and support.’
‘In-depth knowledge of how Egyptian regulators actually implement local law on the ground.’
‘A highlight is Nadine Khaled for her prompt and pragmatic advice and excellent account management.’
Oracle Egypt Ltd
Johnson & Johnson
Beiersdorf Middle East
Red Bull GmbH
Acino Pharma Egypt
- Advising Didi Global in relation to several employment queries related to the incorporation of a new entity in Egypt and advising on Employee Stock Ownership Plan “ESOP”.
- Advising Johnson & Johnson relation to several employment matters, including demotion of an employee, legal advice on JNJ’s Performance Improvement Plan PIP and Performance Managing Program.
- Preparing advice regarding right to work checks in Egypt in relation to two types of potential employees: (a) local nationals; and (b) other foreign nationals. Advice included required documents and procedures for foreigners work permits, residency visas and relevant timeframes.
The full-service practice of Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) offers advice on the whole gamut of employment related matters. Combining strengths in transactional, regulatory, and litigation work, high-profile clients benefit from the firm’s longstanding experience in the Gulf area. Clients include international powerhouses such as AMEX and Starbucks as well as high-profile domestic companies. Ghada El Ehwany heads the team with a focus on commercial, corporate, and labour law matters. Counsel Saber Soliman is particularly experienced in representing multinational and local companies in employment litigation.
Ghada El Ehwany
Other key lawyers:
Riad & Riad’s employment practice covers all aspects of employment, labour, and social insurance law including background screenings, HR compliance, post-termination restrictive covenants, and the employment aspects of restructuring and M&A operations. Remote and work from home systems have also kept the firm busy since the beginning of the pandemic. Eman Riad constitutes one half of the practice lead and is experienced in handling matters on the whole range of employment issues. The second practice head is Mohamed Riad , who is specialised in labor and employment litigation and disputes.
Eman Riad; Mohamed Riad
‘Strong expertise. Knows how to deal with international clients and their requirements and in touch with latest market developments. Collaborative approach and easy to deal with.’
‘Eman Riad – A “go to” lawyer for employment advice. Extremely knowledgeable in the sector and always available to assist with complex labour matters for clients.’
‘Very strong team with a dedicated employment practice. Very good to work with.’
‘Eman Riad is a very good and responsive lawyer. We enjoy working with her and the team.’
Deloitte Japan Legal
Squire Patton Boggs
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- Participating in a multijurisdictional questionnaire on employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) for CMS and handling the Egyptian jurisdiction.
- Representing Coats in disputes against previous senior executive and obtaining court decisions in favour of the company.
- Providing legal advice and answering questionnaire for Squire Patton Boggs in relation to remote work and hybrid work systems and its applicability in Egypt.
Shahid Law Firm advises a host of national and multinational clients on the entire spectrum of employment law issues, from drafting contracts and HR handbooks to M&A employment matters. Assistance compensation packages, due diligence reports and the handling of negotiations with labour unions also comprise part of the team’s activities. In the last year, the practice was especially occupied with Covid-19 related employment queries, such as redundancies and layoffs. Nabil El-Bedewy leads the practice and specialises in the supervision and handling of employment disputes, while co-head Rasha Maurice has extensive knowledge of Egyptian labour and social insurance legislation.
Ariston Thermo Group
BIMA Egypt Insurance Broker
China Shipping Egypt SAE
F. Hoffmann La Roche AG
Intesa Sanpaolo Representative Office in Egypt
Roche Diagnostics Egypt for Trading SAE
- Advising Ariston on the whole shut down of their Representative Office in Egypt and the redundancy process to be carried out with respect to the local employees in addition to assisting Ariston to transfer their current employees to Ariston Thermo Egypt LLC and opening a social insurance file for the said entity.
- Providing legal advice for TTEC on various labour, and social insurance matters. Preparing drafts of employment contracts for the staff to be hired by the newly incorporated company in Egypt. Advising TTEC on the statutory measures to be undertaken by the Company as a result of COVID-19 and the mechanism of applying these measures on its employees.
- Advising Globeleq on the provisions of the Egyptian Labour Law, drafting employment contracts for the Company’s staff, who will be transferred from a local acquired company to a O&M company, which will be established by Globeleq in Egypt and advising Globeleq on the transfer of employment of the said employees from one local entity to the other in accordance to the provisions of the Egyptian Labour Law.
Sharkawy & Sarhan Law Firm takes an integrated approach to its employment practice, with the team working closely together with the firm’s other departments in order to assist general corporate and transactional clients in labour law matters. Apart from that, the practice also handle’s day-to-day matters including immigration, social insurance, and pension funds as well as employment litigation cases. Lamiaa Youssef and Ahmed Haggag lead the department, with the former regularly advising on drafting and terminating contracts, and compliance matters. Senior associate Daila Abdelghany covers the intersection of employment and NGO laws and regulations.
Lamiaa Youssef; Ahmed Haggag
Other key lawyers:
European Investment Bank
Ernst and Young LLP
Shell Egypt NV
PricewaterhouseCoopers (Middle East Group) Limited
Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company
Clyde & Co
Siemens Digital Industries Software
Neptune Energy Group
- Advising Neptune Energy Group on various employment matters including restructuring of their workforce and the transfer of employees between several entities, negotiations with the employees and preparing the required documentation, termination of manger, as well as assisting with employment litigation.
- Assisting Land O’Lakes with its day-to-day activities concerning labour, employment and social insurance matters, including advising on internal policies, employment contracts, termination of employment, and employees’ benefits.
- Advising pwc on rules governing distribution of profit share on employees and various legal aspects relating to employees’ profit share distribution mechanism.
Al Kamel Law Office frequently acts for clients in relation to the termination of senior employees, redundancy programs, work permits and immigration issues, as well as labour law disputes. Assisting with the development of internal policies is also part of the portfolio, and the firm regularly collaborates with an American immigration law firm for high-profile international clients. Founder and managing partner Mohamed Kamel leads the practice, while senior associate Ahmed Ismail is recommended for his employment expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters alike.
Other key lawyers:
The clients from Marghany Advocates‘ labour department are frequently located in the hospitality, transportation, entertainment, fintech, as well as oil and gas sectors. Led by managing partner Amir Marghany, the team is involved in matters such as employment agreements and contracts, drafting policies, and representing clients in disputes. Hend El Hakim is also a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Hend El Hakim
A particular specialisation of Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy’s employment department lies in labour law related matters in the context of corporate restructuring and M&A transactions, including due diligences. Led by Tamer Fawki, the team also covers aspects such as contracts, layoffs, work permits, and social insurance issues. Fawki combines expertise in labour law with longstanding experience in the fields of corporate, commercial, and finance. Senior Associate Susan Romana is well-versed across all day-to-day employment matters in addition to cross-border transaction related labour law issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Have always had a great experience with the team in Egyptian employment matters for various clients.’
‘Matouk Bassiouny’s employment team are always responsive. They provide timely and pragmatic advice.’
‘I have worked with Tamer Fawki who provided commercial and prompt advice.’
‘Great efforts to maintain client relationships, over the top use of technologies, excellent communication, accuracy on the information provided.’
‘Tamer Fawki and Susan Romana deliver superb quality of employment related work, they assist in ongoing matters related to employment and they have been great to deal with.’
Latham and Watkins
- Assisted Dragon Oil in hosting the HR training workshop on Egyptian labour laws and regulations.
- Advised Latham & Watkins on the employment work stream of the restructuring of DXC Technology.
- Assistes IVL Dhunseri in employment related legal compliance and conducting workplace investigations.
The employment department at Rizkana & Partners supports clients in regulatory, corporate and commercial labour law matters, represents them in disputes and provides advice on day-to-day employment operations. Domestic and international businesses and corporations from a variety of industries as well as governmental bodies and embassies turn to the firm’s experienced team in this area. Practice leader Hazim Rizkana is well-versed in both contentious and non-contentious matters, while senior associate Amr Ibrahim is proficient in handling employment disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clear and honest communication, flexible availability. Hands on advice.’
Embassy of Estonia
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP
- Advised U.K.-based multi-cloud platform company Teradata on the necessary updates to its employment contracts in accordance to legislative updates unter the local labour law.
- Advised the embassy of Estonia on its queries around short-term employment, and were also engaged to draft fixed-term employment and open-term employment contracts for the embassy.
Shalakany Law Office climbs the ranking this year with an employment practice that advises both domestic and international corporations on the full range of employment issues. Restructurings, contractual work, and disputes are part of the team’s expertise. Clients include companies from various sectors including technology, governmental agencies, and telecommunication. Emad El Shalakany , Sharif Shihata and Adam El Shalakany are the key contacts, with the latter having extensive experience in local and cross-border disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Emad El Shalakany; Sharif Shihata; Adam El Shalakany: Mariam Fahmy
‘Shalakany team is very professional, diverse and they are very cooperative with a very high standard of knowledge. I have been dealing with them for more than 15 years.’
‘They never failed in any of the tasks /cases assigned to them, and I managed to achieve through them very important achievements.’
Employment disputes are a particular strength of Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law, but the firm’s expertise extends to regulatory, corporate, and M&A matters within this area. Clients include domestic and international companies from a host of sectors, such as tourism, telecom, industry, and oil and gas. Youssef Abou Zeid , who is also head of the dispute resolution department, leads the team and has extensive expertise in labour law cases before courts of all natures. Clients turn to Hala Hashem for her experience in matters of day-to-day operation, while Omar Abou El Enein is specialised in litigation as well as commercial and civil contracts.
Youssef Abou Zeid
Other key lawyers:
Hala Hashem; Omar Abou El Enein
AERA Ancient Egypt Research Associates
AIG Egypt Insurance Company
Alexandria Wax Products Company (AWPC)
Alitalia– Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A
Al Nour Wal Amal Association
Al- Thani Investments
Apex International Energy Management LLC
American Bureau of Shipping – ABS Europe Ltd.
American University in Cairo (AUC)
Arab African International Bank (AAIB)
Arabian Oil Company Ltd.,
Atlas Copco Equipment Egypt
BASF Construction Chemicals Egypt SAE
Canal For Agricultural Development
Clyde & Co., (Dubai Office)
Conrad Cairo Hotel
DAC Beachcroft LLP (London Office)
Danish Egyptian Dialogue Institute (DEDI)
Dar El Fouad
DEA Egypt Branches
Dehydro Foods Co SAE
Deloitte (UK Office)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Diktas Egypt Trading
DP World Sokhna
ED & F Man Sugar Limited
Education Development Trust
Embassy of Estonia
Embassy of Finland
Embassy of Germany
Embassy of Latvia
Embassy of New Zealand
Embassy of the Netherlands
Embassy of Norway
Embassy of Spain
Embassy of Sweden
Embassy of Switzerland
Engie (Formerly GDF Suez)
Fairmont Hotel Heliopolis
Friedrich Naumann Stiftung Foundation
General Electric Group (GE Medical Systems, GE Healthcare, Fieldcore – among others)
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
German Archaeological Institute
Grand Nile Tower
Hikma Pharmaceuticals Egypt Ltd.,
Hogan Lovells International LLP (London Office)
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
Ismailia Real Estate Company
Jenaan Investment LLC
KAMCO INVESTMENT COMPANY K.S.C
Kempinski Hotels & Resorts Company – Egypt Branch
Landmark Gulf Group
Le MEREDIEN Heliopolis
LEO Pharmaceutical Products Sarath Ltd
Levantine Foundation NGO
Magdi Yacoub Foundation (NGO)
MARP- Misr Company for Aromatic Products
Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF) – Doctors without Borders
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Mena House Oberoi Hotel
Middle East Communication Network (MCN)
Mitsui & Co. Ltd.,
National Bank of Egypt (NBE)
National Pipe Company
Nissan Motor Egypt SAE
Nokia Siemens Networks
Norton Rose (Germany Office)
Novo Nordisk Egypt
Pepsi-Cola Company – Egypt
Professional Development Foundation – PDF
Project HOPE – Egypt
Rahn Schulen Kairo
SALGERRechtsanwälte PartGmbB (Germany Office)
Savino Del Bene S.p.A.
Savoy Sharm El Sheikh Hotel
Sheraton Miramar Resort
Suez Cement Company
Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications S.A.E.
- Representing the American University in Cairo in the case filed by a former employee claiming financial entitlements and compensation for alleged unfair dismissal.
- Representing British Petroleum Egypt in the case filed by a former employee to request compensations totalling over 10 Million Egyptian pounds and the invalidation of the company’s alleged unfair dismissal.
- Representing Nakhla Tobacco Company in the case filed by an employee and 129 other claimants in a dispute over annual profit disbursement.
ADSERO-Ragy Soliman & Partners’ employment sector group is located within the corporate and commercial practice and advises clients on matters such as compliance, disputes, outsourcing, and contracts, amongst others. The firm acts for local and international business from a variety of sectors, including transportation and technology. Mohamed Abdelgawad and senior associate Alia Monieb are the key contacts.
Mohamed Abdelgawad; Alia Monieb
‘The team is consistent in their high levels of service and delivery, as well as responsiveness.’
‘Alia Monieb is exceptional in her responsiveness, courtesy and being a pleasure to work with. I have the confidence in her to introduce her directly to clients.’
‘Adsero is providing best in class team of young lawyers to our company. I commend the quality of their advice, professionalism and collaboration.’
‘Mohamed Abdelgawad is a talented legal partner who always simplifies complex legal problems into a language understood by the client. He also is very successful in building long term relationships.’
‘The Adsero team is extremely knowledgeable in Egyptian employment law matters. Their fee structure is great – you pay for international firm work, but at more reasonable prices.’
‘Since our company is headquartered outside of Egypt, Alia Monieb and team went out of their way to ensure that the company and employees are properly registered with Social Insurance and the various authorities. They were also able to take our Employment Agreement from the UAE and make it Egypt-friendly for the employees there.’
Riad, Saleh & Partners’ employment practice covers a wide range of related matters, such as litigation, day-to-day issues, strategies, and policies. The team’s service portfolio further includes contracts, outsourcing, supply chain compliance, and terminations. General corporate and transaction experts Mohamed Kamel Saleh and Hesham Riad are the lead partners.
Mohamed Kamel Saleh; Hesham Riad
Air Liquide Group
Chubb Life Insurance
Integrated Diagnostics Holdings (IDH)
Golden West Seeds
Tokio Marine Insurance
Ahram Security Group
Al Borg Laboratories
Echo Scan Nigeria
Echo Lab Nigeria
- Advised Tiba Steel, an Egyptian Steel company in its 50 million USD syndicated loan from several banks in Egypt.
- Advised Air Liquide, a world leader group in gases and technologies and services for industry & health which has a presence in 80 countries with 66,000 employees all over the world – in several disputes and commercial deals.
- Advised Vena Medical Company, a company which is incorporated in London, on their corporate structure, and Investment in Egypt.