The litigation practice at Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) regularly handles a high volume of complex cases before courts of all nature. The firm’s embedment into the global Baker McKenzie structure allows it to draw on a large amount of resources if needed. Matters such as cartel fines, trademark infringement, government investigations, and a variety of commercial disputes are part of the team’s service portfolio. Of counsel Abdel Aziz Hassouba heads the litigation practice. Other key names include managing partner Mohamed Ghannam , who recently recently acted in a number of real estate litigation cases, and Mohamed Elfar, who is active in a range of litigation matters.
Dispute resolution: litigation in Egypt
Abdel Aziz Hassouba
Other key lawyers:
Mohamed Ghannam; Mohamed Elfar
- Represented a real estate developer based in Egypt in a major shareholders dispute case. Two lawsuits were filed by the plaintiffs (counter-party) against /our client, requesting nullification and annulment of the decision of the company’s ordinary general assembly to reform the board of directors issued to grant a major shareholder an additional seat in the Company’s board of directors, as well as a request for nullification and annulment of the company’s board of directors resolution by increasing the company’s issued capital within the limits of the licensed capital by 300 million Egyptian pounds.
- Representing a global aerospace and defence corporation in twelve Labor lawsuits filed by some workers working for the company claiming compensations for arbitrary discharge and end of service remunerations of different amounts in dollar as per each worker’s term of service and wage. During the court heading dated 21 Jan 2021, judgements were rendered on nine of such lawsuits in favor of the client, rejecting the claims and the remaining lawsuits are still under consideration, yet to be adjudicated.
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy counts a number of international blue-chip corporations amongst its litigation clients from sectors such as telecoms, hospitality, automotive, and media. The practice covers all essential matters including competition and antitrust cases, contract disputes, and product liability. The team is led jointly by John Matouk and Mohamed Shehata. Matouk benefits from a New York law qualification and extensive experience in cases before local courts and major dispute institutions. Telecommunication, finance, and energy are meanwhile part of the industry focus of Shehata who further specialises in major commercial disputes before Egyptian courts, tribunals and regulatory bodies. Associate Momen Rezk is also recommended.
John Matouk; Mohamed Shehata
Other key lawyers:
Skoda Auto (Volkswagen Group)
Huntleigh Nesbit Evans Limited
Telecom Italia Sparkle
Reliance Heavy Industries
Egyptian Resorts Company
Alcazar Energy Egypt Solar
Kuwait Wadi Elnile Urban DevelopmentCompany (Kuwadico)
Orascom Construction Industries (OCI)
- Successfully represented Orascom Construction Industries to seize more than 250 trademarks owned by a leading Real Estate and Touristic Projects Developer in Egypt in execution of an arbitral award issued in favor of the client with an amount exceeding EGP 1 Billion.
- Successfully represented Egyptian Resorts Company, a major Egyptian real estate developer listed on the Egyptian stock exchange, before the Egyptian Court of Cassation against an Egyptian investment company owned by a Jordanian investor in connection with rescission of a land sale agreement. The Court of Cassation upheld the Court of Appeal judgment in our client’s favor putting an end to a US$ 200M exposure.
- Successfully represented Airbus before the Egyptian courts and successfully blocked two complex airline accident compensation claims in connection with a major aviation accident.
Shahid Law Firm remains a key player in litigation, having recently continued its African expansion by opening a first office in Sudan in February 2021, thus improving on its ability to handle multinational contentious matters. In Egypt, the firm is experienced in representing multinational clients operating in healthcare, construction, tourism, technology, and media in complex cases before courts of all degrees. With 9 partners, the practice is one of the largest on the market. A trio consisting of counsel Sarwat Abd El-Shahid , Nabil El-Bedewy and Girgis Abd El-Shahid lead the team.
Sarwat Abd El-Shahid; Nabil El-Bedewy; Girgis Abd El-Shahid
‘The legal team at Shahid Law Firm have never disappointed us, they are a hardworking and tactically astute team whose heavy focus is always on client care, ensuring that advice and support is always available.’
‘The individuals at Shahid are very reliable and efficient and have a lot of experience in their field. From when Shahid have been representing us, the individuals have always wanted the best for us, they have exceptional knowledge and experience dealing with situations on an informed and proactive basis, which in return ensures that we as clients receive the most effective outcome.’
Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company
Libyan Foreign Bank
PTT Energy Resources Company Limited
International Air Transport Association
Middle East Broadcasting Center
Bigo Technology Pte. Ltd.
QAPCO & Qatofin
Shalakany Law Office’s 33 litigation specialists gives the firm an edge when it comes to handling complex high-profile cases, for which it is often appointed by blue-chip clients. Managing partner Khaled El Shalakany has worked on contentious matters across all sectors and levels, and heads the litigation and arbitration department. Dispute specialist Adam El Shalakany is frequently involved in multijurisdictional disputes in the MENA region, and is highly experienced in the area of construction disputes. Muhammad Ussama is well-versed in matters of private and public law. Senior associate Marwa Farouk is also recommended.
Khaled El Shalakany
Other key lawyers:
Adam El Shalakany; Muhammad Ussama; Mahmoud Shedid; Marwa Farouk
‘Shalakany is a very sold litigation firm in general. Shalakany is very good in putting a strategy for each case depending on its type, the risk assignment of the case is very useful for the clients to take the right decision on time.’
‘Very organized – great knowledge of local laws.’
Bank of Bahrain & Kuwait
Ingosstrakh Insurance Company
General Motors Egypt
Ieoc Production BV
Three Corners Hotels & Resorts
- Representing Peugeot Automobiles in a dispute that arises out of a supply and distribution contract of automobiles. Shalakany successfully secured a judgement in favour of its client and thus the client is no longer obliged to pay any amounts to the opposing party.
- Representing Ieoc Production BV in a case in which the Plaintiff (the Fisheries and Aquaculture Union) initiated court proceedings against our client claiming that our client polluted the Red Sea Coast and thus decreased available the fish stocks. The plaintiff is requesting damages/compensation amounting to EGP 1 billion. This case is especially important because it touches upon environmental and industrial policy in Egypt.
- Representing Bein Sports in a case in which the Plaintiff filled an economic misdemeanour against our client claiming that our client violated Article 8 Section (D) and (G) of the Egyptian Competition law. The Plaintiff puts forward that our client obliged its customers to resort to Esuhail SAT instead of Nile SAT in order to benefit from our client’s bundles/products.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law has a reputation for success in a host of landmark cases for domestic and international clients alike. The litigation practice’s expertise includes contentious matters in the area of labour, construction, M&A, tax, and white-collar crime. Advising banking institutions on their dispute resolution portfolios further constitutes a particular specialisation of the team. Senior partner Youssef Abou Zeid leads the litigation department with longstanding experience in this area, while Omar Abou Elenain is also recommended for his expertise in litigation within tourism, capital markets, construction, real estate, and employment.
Youssef Abou Zeid
Other key lawyers:
Omar Abou Elenain
Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank – Egypt (ADIB)
Abu Ghali Motors
AIG Egypt Insurance Company & AIG MEA Limited
Al Ahly Financial Investments Management (AFIM)
Al Ismaelia Real Estate Investment
Al Junaibi Group
Alitalia– Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A
American University in Cairo (AUC)
Arab Investment Bank
ARABCO for Petroleum Industries
Attijariwafa Bank Egypt
British Petroleum Egypt (BP)
Capital Group Properties
Cargill Misr & Cargill Trading Egypt
Citi Bank Egypt
Commercial International Bank Egypt
Conrad Cairo Hotel
Damietta International Port Company (DIPCO)
Dehydro Foods SAE
Egypt Foods SAE
Egyptian Engineering Agencies SAE(EEA)
Egyptian German Automotive Co. EGA SAE
Egyptian Linear Alkyl Benzene (ELAB)
Egyptian Natural Gas Company (GASCO)
Fayoum Gas Company
Four Seasons First Residence
General Electric Group
Grome Free Zone Marketing Ltd (GROHE)
Gulf Egypt for Hotels & Tourism
he Arab Company For Petroleum Industries (ARABCO)
Hero Food Industries
Hikma Pharmaceuticals Egypt Ltd.
Hyde Park Properties for Development S.A.E. (HPD)
Kamco Investment Company K.S.C
LandmarkGulf Group (Fun City Egypt SAE)
LG Electronics Egypt SAE
Maadi Sporting and Yacht Club
Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF)
Medica Middle East for Trading and Importation and Commercial Agencies
National Company for Maize Products (NCMP)
Nissan Motor Egypt S.A.E.
Novartis Pharma SAE
Novo Nordisk Egypt
Orascom Construction Industries Co. SAE(OCI)
Pepsi Cola Egypt
Petroleum Marine Services
Philips Egypt LLC
Red Cross International Committee
Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
Seha Scan SAE
Semiramis Intercontinental Cairo Hotel
Sheraton Miramar Resort
Solidere International Limited & Solidere Egypt Real Estate Investment and Development Company SAE
SUBEX – Serena Beach Hotel Company
Tui Travel Plc
United for Trading and Transport SAE
Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications SAE
- Representing El Nasr Electrical and Electronic Apparatus Company (NEEASAE) in challenging the court judgement in favor of the National Investment Bank’s claim that NEEASAE failed to repay an EGP 96,121,577 loan.
- Advising Mota Goup (Portugal) in its legal claim against its agent in Egypt resulting from transactions and a trade agency agreement.
- Representing Philips Egypt in the case filed against Palestine Hospital and requesting USD 196,901,92 for the outstanding invoices of a maintenance contract.
Privatisation disputes and tax cases constitute the main focal points of Zulficar & Partners Law Firm litigation practice. Furthermore, the firm also handles contentious matters in the areas of banking, employment, corporate, IP, and competition law. Clients come from a variety of sector backgrounds, including telecommunication, real estate, and insurance. Founding partner Mahmoud Shaltout is involved in complex cases across the legal spectrum with specialisations in IP, commercial law, tax, corporate crimes, and civil matters.
Other key lawyers:
Alexandria Portland Cement Co.
Adeptio AD Investment SPC
Beni Suef Cement Co.
British American Tobacco Egypt
Bluburg – Modern Consumer Innovations Company
Egyptian Dutch Dredging Company Ltd
Helwan Cement Co.
National Bank of Egypt
Powertek/ EDRA POWER HOLDINGS SDN BHD
Promomedia Advertising & Production
Richemont International SA
Suez Cement Company SAE
Tourah Portland Cement Co.
ADSERO-Ragy Soliman & Partners climbs the ranking this year with a litigation practice that has particular strengths in white collar crimes and investment and trading disputes. The firm counts domestic and multinational corporations amongst its clients, stemming from various sectors such as IP, telecommunications, health, industrial and public sectors. Co-founding partner Osman Mowafy leads the team, specialising in major commercial disputes and white collar crimes and regularly representing a number of major automobile manufacturers and investors.
Al Tamimi & Company’s litigation department is experienced in advising national and international corporations across a broad range of industry sectors, with special expertise in maritime and IP litigation. The firm is also able to handle cross-border disputes thanks to its strong presence in the MENA region and advises on parallel proceedings in multiple jurisdictions. Khaled Attia leads the team, while Senior Associate Abdelrahman Gomaa is recommended for his experience in a number of high-profile litigation matters.
Other key lawyers:
National Automotive Company NATCO
Abo Zaabal Fertilizer
Trans Business for Trading & Distribution
Alliance Law Firm – Egypt handles a broad range of litigation disputes, including commercial, employment, tax, and white collar before civil, administrative, and criminal courts. Head of the dispute resolution department Mohamed Elrafie is experienced in contentious matters across a wide range of sectors with a specific focus on commercial and corporate disputes. Associate Mohamed Magdy is specialised in litigation, particularly when it comes to the medical, oil and gas, and construction sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been represented by Alliance Law Firm in number of disputes, their dispute resolution team showed strong assessment skills and legal knowledge. They always present arguments and strategies out of the box.’
‘We have worked with Mohamed Elrafie and Mohamed Magdy, both have proved to have deep understanding of legal procedures before Egyptian courts as well as case law.’
‘Alliance Law firm has great dispute resolution team. The team is experienced and well organised. They send frequent reports for each lawsuit. Also they are keen on the client’s interest. they exert enormous efforts to maintain the client’s position.’
‘The team members are professional and diversified. They are reliable and responsive to any inquiries or legal matters come on board.’
‘I am really impressed and proud in the same time having such a distinguished firm representing me. The strength point I see very important after dealing with them is the confidence they gave me that we will WIN.’
‘Dr. Mohamed Elrafei: A very high experience level, professionalism, creativity, high analytical skills & extremely calm.
‘Team is very well equipped with the technical expertise and talent in dispute resolution.’
‘Very aligned and have the knowledge and the right techniques to achieve the costumer requirements. they always come back with new solutions which is always serving the business.’
TITAN Group – Alexandria Portland Cement Company
TITAN Group – Beni Suef Cement Company
Amlak Real Estate Investment & Finance
ELS – Egyptian Language School
Egygab – Egyptian Company for Engineering & Construction
Adel Fahim – VP of International federation of bodybuilding
Global Surveys LLC
Samir and Aly
Bupa Egypt Insurance (Bupa Global)
The litigation department at Riad & Riad has strengths in representing domestic and international companies in contentious matters in the pharmaceutical, real estate, manufacturing, and construction sectors. Moreover, the firm handles disputes from the trial stage up until the issuance of enforceable judgements. The department also holds a team that is specialised in assisting clients with labor and employment cases. Mohamed Riad , Fatma Salah, and Eman Riad are the trio at the top of the practice. Salah is well-versed in areas such as construction and corporate law, while Eman Riad has a focus on labor and employment litigation, and Mohamed Riad’s specialisations include trade investigations and IP disputes.
Mohamed Riad; Fatma Salah; Eman Riad
Kellogg Tolaram Noodles Egypt
Beijing Emirates Construction Group (BEC)
Music and Entertainment Rights Licensing Independent Network Limited (MARLIN)
- Advising Acciona, the Spanish multinational conglomerate in a dispute with the main contractor under a subcontract agreement in relation to the Grand Egyptian Museum project.
- Representing GS E&C, a well-known Korean architecture and engineering company, in a multi-million dollars’ dispute before Egyptian courts with a local subcontractor in relation to complex payments dispute for “time extensions” and “inadequate/incomplete specifications”.
- Successfully represented Kellogg Tolaram Noodles Egypt, a leading multinational food manufacturing company, in connection with a claim against the Egyptian Notary Public Authority for the refund of unduly collected Notarization Fee. The Claim was initiated before the Investment Dispute Resolution Committee and the latter issued its decision in favour of the client.
Beginning with initiating claims to ensuring enforcements, Rizkana & Partners’ litigation team advises clients through the whole duration of the dispute process. The firm has recently also expanded its expertise in assisting clients in tracking and returning funds that have been lost in the context of frauds. Hazim Rizkana heads the department and has a longstanding track record in handling disputes before all levels of courts. Senior Associate Amr Ibrahim is specialised in disputes in civil, commercial and private law matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is amazing in setting strategies, and they have high collaboration among each other’, says a client about Youssef & Partners Attorneys' litigation practice. The firm advises multinational clients regularly in high-stakes disputes, often being involved in administrative, civil and commercial litigation as well as white-collar crime and real estate disputes, amongst others. Karim Youssef has extensive experience in commercial claims, government contract and state entity disputes, while Kamel Elshandidy joined the firm in October 2020 and is well-versed in sectors including energy, construction, TMT, and pharmaceuticals. They lead the practice together with litigation expert Mohamed Farouk.
Karim Youssef; Kamel Elshandidy; Mohamed Farouk
‘The team is amazing in setting strategies and they have high collaboration among each other.’
‘The individuals I operate with are top notch. They are deeply technical experts in arbitration and litigation. They provide consistently excellent service.’
Arabian Cement Company (ACC)
National Telecommunications Corporation (NTC)
Arab African International Bank (AAIB)
Triangle Management Company
Adenium Energy Capital
- Representing Arabian Cement Company in a high-profile dispute pertaining to the broader regulation of cement licenses. Our client has filed a lawsuit challenging the decision to pay the amount of EGP 950 million entry fees to obtain a cement license that was already pre-approved.
- Representing National Telecommunications Holding Company (NTC) and other former shareholders of Egynet, in numerous guerrilla claims and complex litigations aiming at challenging an arbitral award and resisting its enforcement and unwinding pre-arbitration court actions.
Dentons Egypt LLC
Thanks to its global network of law firms, the litigation department at Dentons Egypt LLC is well-equipped to handle cross-border matters and, through its association with local law firm Afifi Law Office, can also apply extensive expertise in domestic disputes. The team frequently acts for clients in contentious matter related to labour and employment, real estate, finance, and tax. Michael Lacey is managing partner of the Cairo office and leads the litigation practice together with Amal Afifi Dawood. Senior associate Ahmed Rashed is also a key contact.
Amal Afifi Dawood; Michael Lacey
Other key lawyers:
Hafez and Partners joins the ranking this year with a litigation practice that acts for domestic and multinational clients on a wide range of contentious matters and sectors such as telecom, oil and gas, sports and fast-moving consumer goods. The firm’s portfolio includes handling shareholder disputes, employment law claims, intellectual property infringement claims, and real estate disputes. Lead partner Ahmed Hafez is well-versed in local and international white collar crime disputes, amongst others.
ALSAADA for Agriculture Development and Real Estate Investment
Fiber Misr ICT (Benya Capital)
Bianchi for Tourism and Real Estate Investment
Commercial International Bank
Cotecna Inspection Egypt
East Gas Company S.A.E
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
King Tut’s Playground
Le 16 Law
SAS Middle East
Sunrise Resorts & Cruises
Vodafone Telecommunication Egypt
Clyde & Co
J. Walter Thomson (JWT)
Khodeir & Partners was established in late 2019 and has since then continually grown the expertise of its litigation department. The practice covers a wide range of sectors including construction, banking, distribution, IP, and employment. Criminal matters as well as shareholder disputes are also part of the firm’s portfolio. Ahmed Kotb has extensive experience in litigation cases involving several jurisdictions and is often involved in financial, construction, and trade disputes, amongst others. He leads the practice together with Youssef Taher, who joined the team in January 2021 from a Kuwaiti litigation firm.
Ahmed Kotb; Youssef Taher
‘Ability to communicate peculiarities of local law civil procedures.’
‘Ahmed Kotb – responsive, practical and able to hone in on most important aspects of dispute resolution. Highly recommended for both bespoke and volume based dispute work.’
‘The team is always available to do its duties professionally and on time.’
‘Ahmed Kotb is the actual team leader and really a reliable person.’
- Representing a leading regional producer of diapers, tissues and other hygienic products. In these operations, the client is faced with challenges in respect of its labour force, distributors and regulators.
- Representing Contracting for Services Industry, a client who entered into a subcontract with relation to the construction of a refinery project in Egypt. Court proceedings have been launched against the contractor and the employer for payment of the USD 35,000,000.
- Representing four players at Misr Lil-Maqassa who wish to terminate their employment agreement with the club, for non-payment of their outstanding amounts for a period spanning between four to six months.
Marghany Advocates represents clients from sectors such as hospitality, transportation, entertainment, finTech, and oil and gas in litigation cases. The firm handles local matters as well as cross-border disputes. Amir Marghany is the key contact.
The litigation practice at Mohamed Nasser Law Firm possesses strong expertise in both civil and commercial lawsuits in a variety of sectors covering real estate, military, and entertainment, amongst others. Practice head Ahmed Ragab has acted for clients in matters pertaining to employment and criminal law, while managing partner Mohamed Nasser is focused on all aspects of corporate law. Ahmed Nasser is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Mohamed Nasser; Ahmed Nasser
Ahmed El Ganzoury
Al-Ahram Real Estate and Tourism Development Company
Pan Marine Petroleum Services FZ
Pan Marine Shipping Company
Aqua Top for Trading and Distribution
Mohamed Abdel Hafaz
Rijk Zwaan EG
The International Co. For Touristic & Hotels Services
Iman El Nashar
- Advised Marafeq Co on a series of annulment lawsuits.
- Advised Al-Ahram Real Estate and Tourism Development Company on a lawsuit for the validity and enforcement of a plot of land.
- Advised Mr. Sherif Ramzy on a lawsuit to be appointed as the Chairman of El Nasr Film Company.
Riad, Saleh & Partners’ expertise in litigation ranges across the entire dispute resolution process, beginning with consultation to negotiations and settlements. The firm has experience handling cases before all court levels and clients include multinational corporations operating in Egypt. Mohamed Kamel Saleh and Hesham Riad are the lead partners.
Mohamed Kamel; Saleh Hesham Riad
Air Liquide Group
Chubb Life Insurance
Integrated Diagnostics Holdings (IDH)
Golden West Seeds
Tokio Marine Insurance
Ahram Security Group
Al Borg Laboratories
Echo Scan Nigeria
Echo Lab Nigeria
- Advised Air Liquide, a world leader group in gases and technologies and services for industry & health – which has a presence in 80 countries with 66,000 employees all over the world – in several disputes.