Dispute resolution: litigation in Egypt
Mohamed Kamel, Rasheed Kamel and head of litigation Joseph Morcos are the key partners at Al Kamel Law Office, which handles civil, commercial, and maritime disputes. It frequently works alongside leading international law firms such as Slaughter and May. Among its clients are Danaos Shipping and Qatar National Bank. Associate Ahmed Hassib is also noted.
Mohamed Kamel; Rasheed Kamel; Joseph Morcos
‘In addition to great expertise in both contract negotiation and litigation, the main qualities of the team are a real availability of all times and inter-disciplinarity to offer a wide range of solutions to the problems encountered.‘
‘It is very difficult to find a trusted law firm in Egypt. With Al Kamel and Shahira Khaled, we found it.‘
Dutch Ophthalmic Research Center (International) B.V. (“DORC”)
Alfred C. Toepfer International Company
Qatar National Bank
- Acting for Dutch Ophthalmic Research Center (International) B.V. (“DORC”), together with Van Doorne N.V. as international counsel, in a litigation filed by the Egyptian company El Fattemya for Trade & Distribution.
- Acting for Danaos Shipping and Fast Carrier Companies Nos. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 in stopping and annulling a seizure imposed on the vessels.
- Defending Life Fitness Co against a claim brought by Artoc Sports demanding compensation for the damage sustained as a result of the termination of the agency agreement.
As part of a global firm, Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) handles cross-border disputes for large multinational companies. Proficient in cases in the oil and gas, engineering and construction sectors, the practice, which is led by experienced litigator Abdel Aziz Hassouba, also handles complex post-M&A cases and a broad range of commercial disputes. Counsel Mohamed Elfar is also recommended.
Abdel Aziz Hassouba
El Motaheda Co. for Trade
- Successfully represented nine medical products suppliers (ten defendants), before the Egyptian Competition Authority (ECA) in the settlement of a heart valves and oxides bid-rigging cartel case.
- Acting for the claimant, El Motaheda Co. for Trade, in a major private damages case following a cartel finding decision by the ECA.
- Successfully represented Careem Egypt in a major appeal before the Supreme Administrative Court in connection with banning its operation in Egypt.
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy has one of the largest practices in Egypt and frequently works with international law firms in high-value commercial, employment and white-collar disputes. Amr Abbas, who mainly handles arbitration but also plays a key role in the litigation practice, practice head John Matouk and Mohamed Shehata, who rejoined the firm from telecoms company Etilsat Misr, are key names. Associate Momen Rezk is also noted.
‘Amr Abbas is a very bright litigator. He knows the laws and regulations in Egypt very well and is able to find legal support for most arguments in a dispute.‘
‘John Matouk is very commercial. He takes charge of matters and is quick to suggest commercial solutions to move things forward when the regular legal processes are taking time. He has been a valuable participant in negotiations for us, by bridging cultural and language differences.‘
‘The team, led by John Matouk from day one of a very litigious and time-consuming mandate, has been very profound in its legal evaluation of the matter. All predictions which were very clear have proved to be supported by the Egyptian courts. In addition the team was very responsive and to the satisfaction of the common client always available with helpful information.‘
‘John Matouk stands out as a very experienced and profound counsel who not only is truly international but also has much insight into the Egyptian legal system and the functioning of the courts. He is very clear in his advice which also proved to be confirmed by the Egyptian courts.‘
Sun Infinite Energy
Skoda Auto (Volkswagen Group)
Egyptian Resorts Company
Union Fenosa Gas
- Represented Sun Infinite Energy before the Settlement Committee of the Egyptian Electricity Regulatory Authority.
- Successfully blocked a £30m compensation claim under the authority of the Court of First Instance for a major international apparel manufacturer.
- Acted for Skoda Auto in litigation concerning the termination of its relationship with its previous distributor in Egypt (Artoc Auto).
Shahid Law Firm's litigation group is 'measured, responsive and sophisticated, and it includes lawyers qualified in multiple jurisdictions with an outstanding track record'. The 'highly respected' Sarwat Abd El-Shahid and key partners Nabil El-Bedewy and Girgis Abd El-Shahid are frequently involved in precedent-setting matters, which last year included handling a case in which, for the first time, an Egyptian court recognised and enforced an interim measures order issued by a foreign arbitral tribunal.
Sarwat Abd El-Shahid; Nabil El-Bedewy; Girgis Abd El-Shahid
‘Shahid law presents a fantastic channel into legal work in Egypt and North Africa. The firm comes highly recommended from our perspective.‘
‘Tarek Badawy is collegial and collaborative, and has a real instinct for strategy. It has been a pleasure to work with him.‘
‘Responsive, flexible, extremely diligent and thorough, this is by far the best firm with which we have engaged in North Africa.‘
‘The strong disputes team is led by counselor Sarwat, who is a distinguished former judge and respected member of the bar. Unlike many Cairo law firms, it does not attempt to substitute connections for substantive legal work. Moreover they do not hesitate to take cases against the Egyptian state on behalf of locally unpopular clients.‘
‘Counselor Sarwat Abd El-Shahid has the stature and gravitas of a senior statesman, but still actively participates in major cases.‘
‘Girgis Abd El Shahid is an up-and-coming star, particularly in international arbitration.‘
‘The firm has represented our international non-profit in Egypt for almost 15 years. From registration to banking to compliance with NGO laws and even to criminal law and litigation, the firm has been supremely professional, competent and reliable. They have also provided high-level strategic advice and representation to senior government officials.‘
‘Sarwat Abd El-Shahid and Girgis Abd-El Shahid are clearly at the top of their profession in Egypt. Sarwat is a former senior judge and a highly respected senior law practitioner. Girgis is quickly following in his footsteps providing highly professional, discrete and astute advice and counsel.‘
PTT Energy Resources
Doosan Heavy Industries and Construction
Loughborough University (LU)
Middle East Broadcasting Center (MBC) and O3 Productions
Jushi Egypt for Fiberglass Industry S.A.E.
Libyan Foreign Bank
- Represented PTT Energy Resources, a Thai company, in a $1bn dispute involving the breach of a bilateral investment treaty in the first ever BIT claim brought before Egyptian courts.
- Secured a $72m award for South Korean group, Doosan Heavy Industries and Construction, by enforcing an arbitral award.
- Representing Middle East Broadcasting Center and O3 Productions in a number of litigation cases before courts, which included defending multiple attempts of staying the airing of one of the most widely viewed television shows during the month of Ramadan.
Shalakany Law Office is known for its strong advocacy, has a deep bench of litigators and is a popular choice to handle investment treaty disputes, as well as commercial litigation in the insurance, aviation, oil and gas and construction sectors. Managing partner Khaled El Shalakany is a key name in the litigation market and newly promoted senior associate Marwa Farouk is also noted.
Khaled El Shalakany; Mahmoud Shedid; Mostafa Hassan
beIN Media Group
Metro Jet Airlines and Ingosstrakh Insurance Company
International Republican Institute – IRI
Majid Al Futtaim
Amreyah Cement Company
Mondelez (KRAFT/ Cadbury)
Ahli Qatari Bank
Al Ahram Beverages (HEINEKEN)
Emirates National Bank
Commercial International Bank
Misr Insurance Company
At Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law, senior partners Youssef Abou Zeid and Omar Abou Elenain are the standout practitioners in one of the largest litigation practices in Egypt. The firm handles the full range of commercial litigation, as well as bankruptcy, banking, tax, consumer protection and white-collar crime cases. Among its many multinational clients for high-value disputes are Accor Hotels, Coral Sea Hotels and LG Electronics.
Youssef Abou Zeid
AIG Egypt Insurance Company & AIG MEA Limited
Alitalia– Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A
Arab Investment Bank
Attijariwafa Bank Egypt
British Petroleum Egypt (BP)
Cargill Misr & Cargill Trading Egypt
Commercial International Bank Egypt
Conrad Cairo Hotel
CORAL SEA HOTELS – RESORTS- NILE CRUISES
Egypt Foods S.A.E.
Fayoum Gas Company
General Electric Group (GE Medical Systems, GE Healthcare, Fieldcore – among others)
Grome Free Zone Marketing (Cairo) Ltd (GROHE)
KAMCO INVESTMENT COMPANY K.S.C
LG Electronics Egypt S.A.E.
Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF)
NISSAN Motor Egypt S.A.E.
Novo Nordisk Egypt
Pepsi Cola Egypt
Philips Egypt LLC
Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
SEMIRAMIS INTERCONTINENTAL CAIRO HOTEL
Dehydro Foods S.A.E.
Egyptian Engineering Agencies S.A.E. (EEA)
Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank – Egypt (ADIB)
Abu Ghali Motors
The American University in Cairo (AUC)
Four Seasons First Residence
Sheraton Miramar Resort
Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications S.A.E.
Al Junaibi Group
Citi Bank Egypt
Hikma Pharmaceuticals Egypt Ltd.,
Hero Food Industries
National Company for Maize Products (NCMP)
Seha Scan S.A.E.
Tui Travel Plc
Red Cross International Committee
Medica Middle East for Trading and Importation and Commercial Agencies
Medecins Sans Frontiers (MSF) – Doctors without Borders
Capital Group Properties
Maadi Sporting and Yacht Club
- Acting for the International Finance Corporation in a dispute regarding the $35m debt of Omar Effendi, an Egyptian chain of government stores.
- Representing the Arab Bank in a case of invalidity regarding the ownership of a building that is currently the headquarters of the bank.
- Representing Pepsi Cola Egypt in direct appeal proceedings before the Administrative Court regarding the real estate tax imposed on the Pepsi plant in the Wafaa wal Amal district.
Zulficar & Partners Law Firm is a prominent player in high-profile domestic and cross-border litigation. Founding partner Mahmoud Shaltout leads the practice and is widely regarded as one of the foremost litigators in Egypt. He is respected for his extensive experience in commercial and civil matters including IP, tax and banking disputes.
Sixth October Development and Investment Company S.A.E. (SODIC)
Abu Qir Petroleum
Egyptian Fertilizers Company (EFC)/ Orascom Construction Industries (OCI)
Bawabet Al Kuwait Holding Co.
Bechtel, Enka & Bahwan Engineering Company
APM Terminals (Suez Canal Container Terminal)
The litigation practice at Al Tamimi & Company 'prepares practical litigation strategy and explains it clearly to its clients'. Khaled Attia, who focuses principally on arbitration, leads the practice and he has extensive experience in competition disputes. The firm also has specialist litigation expertise in the areas of tax, consumer protection, labour, IP and maritime law.
‘Abdallah El Nokaly is specially helpful, always explaining things clearly and quickly. We feel that the firm is reliable and will always be there, ready to help.‘
‘They respond to emails quickly and make a good summary of the issues.‘
- Representing a leading trade finance bank in multiple cases against corporate and personal guarantors before Cairo Economic Court to recover amounts paid under a facility agreement.
- Representing a leading trade finance bank in settlement negotiations with its creditors and assisting it in recovering its dues.
- Acting for a leading medical equipment company in a price-fixing cartel case.
Dentons Egypt LLC
At Dentons Egypt LLC, managing partner Michael Lacey oversees the litigation practice, and has a track record in disputes concerning aviation, corporate, energy and environmental projects. Consultant Amal Afifi Dawood, who is highly regarded in the space, has more than 30 years' experience in civil, commercial, bankruptcy, labour and insurance law disputes.
Mitsui & Co.
Kraft Heinz Company
Abercrombie and Kent
Barclays Bank PLC
The Babcock & Wilcox Company
SPIG S.p.A. (Company subject to
the direction and coordination by
Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises,
African Bank for Export-Import
Novus Europe S.A.
Kraft Heinz Company
Engineered Arresting Systems
Corporation – EASC
The Trident Group Inc
The Babcock & Wilcox Company
Myronivsky Hliboproduct PJSC
- Representing and advising Kraft Heinz Company in civil and criminal proceedings regarding the collection of payment from a former distributor.
- Successfully acting for Abercrombie & Kent in the settlement of a potential dispute with the Egyptian Tax Authority relating to a request for payment for allegedly due taxes.
- Successfully representing the British Council before the first instance court in the dismissal of a compensation claim based on untrue allegations.
At Marghany Advocates, managing partner Amir Marghany and litigation associate Farouk El Qady act for large Egyptian corporates and a growing roster of international clients in commercial, financial and labour disputes. The team recently acted for Aljazira Capital in a dispute concerning a credit facility from an Egyptian bank.
Amir Marghany; Farouk El Qady
- Successfully represented Manpower in a multimillion-pound dispute in the drilling and construction sector.
- Representing Aljazira Capital in an ongoing dispute with a bank in Egypt.
- Successfully represented a client in the tourism sector in a real estate dispute in Hurgada.
Rizkana & Partners is 'responsive and provides high-quality work', with several team members having a 'good awareness of how US and UK firms work and what they want'. 'Reputable partner' Hazim Rizkana and the 'very commercially aware' Sherif El Hosseny stand out in a practice that represents international clients in cross-border commercial and investment disputes. The litigation team, along with the arbitration practice, has a track record of successfully annulling and enforcing major arbitral awards.
‘Sherif El Hosseny has built an excellent reputation in the aviation practice.‘
‘They have an excellent team and they provide an excellent service.‘
‘They are responsive and provide high quality work. Hazim is a reputable litigator in Egypt.‘
‘Many of the team have US / UK firm experience so good awareness of how US/UK firms work and what they want.‘
‘Sherif El Hosseny – very commercially aware.‘
Tarek Riad - Legal Consultants and Attorneys at Law acts for numerous international clients, among which are Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank, Colgate and Lockheed Martin. Managing partner Tarek F Riad, who frequently handles cases in the energy sector, as well as banking and finance disputes, leads a practice that is currently handling matters in Egyptian courts for Four Seasons, Samsung and Transocean.
Tarek F. Riad
In the three years since it was founded, Youssef & Partners Attorneys has built a strong reputation for litigation and is regarded as 'a "go-to" firm for difficult and complex cases'. Managing partner and arbitration specialist Karim Youssef oversees the practice, in which senior litigation attorney Mohamed Farouk stands out.
Karim Youssef; Mohamed Farouk
‘The firm gives honest advice as to how successful our case can go.‘
‘The firm has connections with the related bodies affecting our case and it prepares strong memorandums supporting the claim as regards the legal aspects.‘
‘The team is familiar with both the local and international laws.‘
‘Youssef & Partners has high-calibre individuals including standout partners and associates.‘
‘Youssef & Partners provides litigation strategy like no other.‘
‘The lawyers are energetic and they are great planners with incredible implementation strategies.‘
Al-Kholoud for Touristic and Real Estate Development S.A.E.
Arab African International Bank (AAIB)
Adenium Energy Capital
National Telecommunications Holding Co. (NTC)
Prima Plast Group Egypt
Kazareen Textile Company
Arabian Cement Company (ACC)
- Representing National Telecommunications Holding Company and other former shareholders of Egynet against numerous claims brought before Egyptian courts by Etisalat Misr.
- Represented Adenium Energy Capital in a matter of enforcement, challenge and suspension of enforcement proceedings before UAE courts.
- Acted before the UK courts in relation to various issues under Egyptian law in a global dispute involving a client in the aviation sector.
ADSERO-Ragy Soliman & Partners enters the ranking having quickly built up its litigation capability since its launch in 2019. Yehia Shahine, formerly of Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International), handled various high-value matters in the Cairo Economic Court and successfully resolved a shareholder dispute for a major international airline. The firm also hired Osman Mowafy, former head of litigation at Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy, as a partner.
At Alliance Law Firm - Egypt, 'the team is very dedicated, responsive and efficient'. Clients praise the 'problem-solving skills and creative solutions' provided by key partners Ahmed Hafez and Mohamed Elrafei and senior associate Mohamed Magdy. The team frequently handles disputes in the construction, energy, finance, heavy industry, hospitality, IT, insurance, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, and transport sectors.
Ashraf Abou Elkheir; Ahmed Hafez; Mohamed Elrafei
‘The harmony between Ahmed Hafez, Mohamed Elrafie and Mohamed Magdy gives you assurance that you can trust and depend on them in any matter.‘
‘The team is very dedicated, responsive and efficient.‘
Lafarge – LBMH
- Successfully acted for Lagoons in dismissing all charges brought against it in a EGP100m claim brought by more than 100 claimants.
- Defended a high-value tax claim bought by the Tax Authority against Intercement Group.
- Represented Bunge in negotiations before the Ministry of Supply for the settlement of payment for goods.
Ibrachy & Dermarkar handles disputes for major local and international companies including ExxonMobil Egypt, Bayer and Siemens. Its work focuses on the key sectors of oil and gas, aviation and cross-border transportation, medical industries and telecoms. Mohamed Ramadan and Bahieldin H. Z. Elibrachy are the key partners.
Bahieldin H. Z. Elibrachy
Karim Adel Law Office is active in disputes for its many high-profile clients in the hotel and tourism sector, among which is Marriott International. Managing partner Karim Adel and Bishoy Safwat are noted for handling litigation for hotel operators.
Legalia Law Office enters the ranking having grown its client base to include key international brands such as adidas and large local investors including Sameem Financial Investments. Hamdy Mostafa handles corporate matters and litigation, which includes investment and commercial disputes, professional negligence cases and cross-border employment and fraud cases.
Hamdy Mostafa; Ahmed Al Shemee; Mahmoud Galal
‘The firm has strong local experience and knowledge of rules and regulations on various matters.‘
‘Hamdy Mostafa has a very supportive team that is easy to approach.‘
Sameem Financial Investments.
Riad & Riad handled a range of commercial and employment disputes for clients including British Airways and G4S. The firm frequently handles high-value and high-profile disputes in the Supreme Constitutional Court, the Court of Cassation and the State Council courts. Partner Fatma Salah is the key litigator.
- Acted for a multinational security services company in defending the charges initiated against it by the public prosecution for non-compliance with the construction licenses requirement which resulted in an order issued to shut down the premises.
- Defended a pharmaceutical company against a claim initiated by the landlord for compensation claimed for the termination of the lease agreement of the premises of the headquarters of the company.
- Represented the majority shareholder in a multinational security services company as a defendant in a lawsuit that was initiated by the minority shareholder against a resolution taken for the restructure of the company.
At Riad, Saleh & Partners, managing partner Mohamed Saleh oversees a litigation practice that is 'transparent and efficient'. Saleh has considerable experience in corporate criminal disputes and is 'exceptional, experienced, helpful and accessible, with phenomenal detail-oriented capabilities'.
‘The disputes team is the best in the local market by far. The head of the litigation team has more than 40 years’ experience in criminal corporate cases and commercial cases as well.‘
‘Mr. Saleh is one of the leaders in his field. He is very knowledgeable and aggressive in defending his clients rights.‘
‘Honest, Transparent and efficient.’
‘We have dealt with their disputes team and they are perfect. The solid experience that they have in this specialty making them the best in the market.‘
‘To have a strong litigation team that has deep legal knowledge and understands the business needs is very rare and difficult to find. Riad, Saleh & Partners Law Firm is one of the very few law firms that has this brilliant team.‘
‘Mohamed Saleh and the associates are very keen to keep the client updated with litigation updates.‘
Air Liquide Group
Chubb Life Insurance
Integrated Diagnostics Holdings (IDH)
Golden West Seeds
Tokio Marine Insurance
Ahram Security Group
Al Borg Laboratories
Echo Scan Nigeria
Echo Lab Nigeria
- Representing the Kuwait Embassy in Egypt in several court cases.
- Represented Chubb Life Insurance in several disputes.
- Represented a luxury chain of hotels in various disputes.