Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the East Midlands in East Midlands
Freeths LLP 's 'extremely capable and proactive' Leicester practice acts for international and domestic companies in numerous breach of contract disputes, in addition to insurance, professional negligence, construction and property claims (to name just a few of the firm's mainstays). Mukesh Patel is particularly well-known for his expertise in disputes in the energy sector. Among his recent highlights, he represented claimant Flogas Britain in various high-value cases involving injunctions, contempt of court actions and challenges to government procurement decisions. Simon Baigent specialises in restructuring and insolvency, as well as property litigation. Emma Anderson is an expert in commercial disputes. Senior associate Richard Fitzmaurice is another notable individual.
‘The Freeths team is a solid one. They are particularly well organised on large scale cases and are well equipped with the technology and know-how to handle a high volume of disclosures efficiently and quickly.’
‘They are very client focused and always seek to give pragmatic commercial advice.’
‘Mukesh Patel works very hard to find practical solutions either by getting a deal if there is one or fighting case if necessary.’
‘I worked mainly with Richard Fitzmaurice, who was calm in difficult situations, quite clear with his advice, positive with his responses and totally firm with the other side.’
Flogas UK Britain Limited
MPK Garages Limited
RC Tuxford Exports Limited
Noble Foods Limited
Travis Perkins plc
Greenyard Fresh UK Limited
Cofresh Foods (Lakshmi & Son’s Limited)
Rigid Containers Limited
Aldi Stores Limited
- Acted for claimant Flogas on a breach of contract claim against a distributor relating to the unlawful handling of cylinders.
Working alongside colleagues across the UK, Gateley Plc's 'very practical and pragmatic' Leicester team represents clients in various sectors, including transport, logistics, sports and media, in domestic and cross-border disputes. Chris Greenwell's specific expertise lies in professional negligence, personal injury, contentious probate and trust disputes. Claire Herbert has a wealth of experience acting for clients in breach of contract claims, defamation and media suits, shareholder and partnership disputes. Associate Natalie Howes represents clients in commercial disputes, focusing primarily on professional negligence and data protection claims.
‘Chris Greenwell and Claire Herbert are particularly strong and deliver a high quality service.’
Hewitsons's 'approachable and attentive' team, which is based in Northampton, is particularly well-regarded for its expertise in cross-border litigation, technology disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes, and professional negligence claims. In addition, it is also well-versed in insolvency cases, finance disputes and a wide variety of regulatory matters, touching upon areas such as competition law and advertising standards. With over thirty years of experience in the field, Dominic Hopkins specialises in disputes concerning commercial contracts, professional negligence and technology/IT. Senior associate Stephen Cole is an expert in regulatory disputes and commercial disputes, often spanning multiple jurisdictions.
Other key lawyers:
‘Hewitsons’ team has a high degree of expertise in diverse areas, catering for, by way of example, high-tech clients on the one hand and traditional agricultural clients on the other. I find it a pleasure to work for them, and have observed the high regard in which they are held by their clients.’
‘The team have a niche in IT related disputes, with particular expertise in business systems and automation software and retail related systems.’
‘All my dealings with Hewitsons have been very good and they always deliver expert advice and guidance to help us make good legal and commercial decisions.’
‘Dominic Hopkins demonstrates a very thorough understanding of the litigation process and provides very clear and understandable advice.’
- Representing a technology company in defending a high value claim in the Technology & Construction Court involving multiple expert evidence disciplines (telecommunications sector).
- Representing a technology company in defending a high value claim for negligent misstatement arising from a joint venture for the development of networked products (energy sector).
- Representing directors/shareholders of a UK company in cross-border claims arising from a group reorganisation and associated negotiations over control.
Based in Leicester, Howes Percival LLP's practice represents public and private companies in a wide range of claims, including partnership and company disputes, professional negligence and public law cases. Geraint Davies has a strong track record acting for clients in High Court litigation, judicial reviews and in ADR proceedings. In a recent highlight, he recently secured a favourable settlement for Intertek Inspection Services UK in a £15m contractual dispute relating to an oil platform off the coast of Nigeria. Satnam Chayra has a wealth of experience of shareholder, director and partnership claims. Associate Gary Pitt has notable expertise in litigation under the Companies Act 2006.
‘Strong commerciality, combined with legal and technical expertise, is very evident throughout the team.’
‘Satnam Chayra is technically very sound but stands out because of her clear and direct communication and her constructive approach to problem-solving and resolution.’
Welcome Break Group Ltd
Getronics Services UK Limited
MPAC plc (formerly Molins plc)
Renewi UK Services Ltd
Intertek Group plc
Grace Foods UK Limited
Just Hype Limited
Trent Pottery Company (Leicester) Limited
Pete Norris Limited
- Acted for Intertek Inspection Services UK Ltd/Intertek Group PLC in an international dispute relating to work on an oil platform in Nigeria.
- Acting for Pete Norris Limited in its claim against the supplier of ingredients used by our client to make animal feed.
- Acting for barrister’s clerk Michael Ryan in his defence of a claim by the trustee in bankruptcy of a discharged barrister for misappropriation of monies that the clerk had forwarded to the barrister.
Following Chattertons' merger with Andrew & Co in December 2019, Lincoln-based partner Annette Wood joined the firm, bolstering its expertise in all forms of commercial disputes, including professional negligence and shareholder claims. Wood works with associate Nigel Bescoby, who has considerable expertise in landlord and tenant claims, breach of contract cases and contentious probate. Practice head David Rogerson, who is located in Newark, has thirty years of experience handling commercial disputes.
‘We have always found Chattertons to be more than approachable and have always had our issues dealt with extremely speedily and efficiently.’
- Acting for a restaurant chain in various disputes with meat and provisions suppliers.
- Acting for a farming business in a claim against a local authority for flood damage to agricultural land and ancillary litigation concerning overage and restrictive covenants.
- Acting for an international haulage company in a dispute with Highways England concerning a local road scheme and recovering around £3m in total.
Knights plc has a growing presence in the East Midlands, as was reflected by its acquisition of Fraser Brown. It handles litigation relating to various areas of commercial law, including commercial contracts, partnership and shareholder agreements, professional negligence and fraud. Phillippa O’Neill continues to be very active in contentious matters running the full gamut of commercial litigation, including insolvency disputes. Associate Gail Whyte is also recommended.
Langleys Solicitors LLP
Langleys Solicitors LLP 'client focused and commercially aware' team predominantly represents companies and individuals in disputes regarding commercial contracts, construction projects, debt recovery, shareholder agreements, and professional negligence. Richard Tomlinson, who is based in Lincoln, often acts for clients in complex High Court cases, with a particular focus on disputes between companies and their suppliers. 'Astute and hardworking' partner James Henson spends the majority of his time in York but he also supports the Lincoln office. He has a strong track record in breach of contract and wrongful termination cases across various industries, including IT and construction.
‘The team is excellent at dealing with high value construction related disputes and claims for faulty materials. We are exceptionally pleased with their level of service.’
‘Richard Tomlinson has given me excellent advice in two recent disputes.’
‘James Henson focuses on dealing with the issues and communicates well with the other side. He tends to cut through all the noise and gets to the crux of the matter.’
‘James is an astute and very able lawyer, who combines his legal acumen with an excellent client-facing side that is sensitive to his client’s needs whilst ensuring that difficult points are not dodged but rather addressed as best they can be.’
- Acted for national company seeking an injunction to prohibit a large customer from unlawfully terminating a supply contract.
- Acted for a client in relation to a boundary dispute, seeking urgent injunctive relief in the High Court to prevent damage to boundary features and successfully resisting an application by the Defendants for their own interim injunction.
- Acted for a partner in a family farming business in relation to his unlawful expulsion from the partnership.
With a particular focus on the real estate industry, Sills & Betteridge LLP's 'pragmatic and sensible' team in Lincoln and Boston handles a variety of commercial disputes, including breaches of contract, planning, professional negligence and shareholders' claims. Lincoln-based Karen Bower-Brown, who previously worked as a litigator in London, specialises in landlord and tenant disputes and breach of contract claims. In Boston, partner David John's expertise includes property litigation, debt recovery and trusts disputes.
‘Their knowledge within the sector is impressive, they are extremely professional in their approach and the advice given provides reassurance that all cases are being dealt with appropriately.’
‘Malachy McGill is very knowledgeable in his field, works hard to meet deadlines and his personable manner makes him easy to deal with.’
‘Karen Bower Brown has a good knowledge of the law but is also practical and sensible.’
Hemswell Biogas Limited
SHD Composite Materials Limited
Turnbull & Co Limited
The Burdens Group Limited
Omex Agriculture Limited
SHD MTI Limited
- Representing a freight company in a claim regarding around £400,000 due to them from a telecoms company.
- Advising a farmer in relation to a dispute over farmland and equipment worth around £930,000.
- Advised landlord of commercial property on a dilapidations claim against major pub chain which resulted in a settlement being paid of £300,000.
Wilson Browne Solicitors
Following Wilson Browne Solicitors's acquisition of Friday Legal in April 2019, Stuart Love joined as the new practice head, along with partner Hayley Mauro. Love's key areas of expertise include insolvency and professional negligence. Mauro has a particularly strong track record in property litigation, including lease forfeiture claims. The 'sensible and pragmatic' Kevin Rogers is well-versed in breach of contract claims, as well as shareholder and partnership disputes.
‘The group has consists of the most professional, polished, capable and efficient group of solicitors I have ever retained. The dynamics between each department proved to be flawless with a level of communication, insight and nuance quite unusual in my experience.’
‘Contract knowledge aside, what makes Kevin unique is his industry insight, his emotional intelligence and his exceptional ‘bedside manner’. Throughout our challenge, Kevin exhibited a calm, kind but firm guidance which did much to alleviate our anxieties.’
United Pallet Networks Ltd
Sterling Press Ltd
SAS Logistics Ltd
AKAL Computer Systems Ltd
Global Processing Services Ltd
Great Scot (Scotland) Ltd
Infrastructure Gateway Ltd
Total Computer Networks Ltd
Resort Solutions Limited
- Acting for United Pallet networks in various claims across the UK.
- Acted for the UK subsidiary of a Dutch company in a successful challenge to the jurisdiction of the English Courts in relation to a claim that was governed by its terms and conditions.