OMG is 'always at the forefront of the energy market', with a practice that runs the gamut of financial, operational, environmental, tax and regulatory issues in this sphere. Notable strong suits include assisting with the acquisition and sale of energy-related assets and the development of energy projects, including in the renewables space. Among the team's key clients are energy companies and local and foreign investors. The trio leading the practice is made up of firm president Leonel Melo, who handles corporate, finance and tax mandates; legal strategy coordinator Esperanza Cabral, who is proficient in M&A and restructurings; and Michelle Abreu, a specialist in the full range of energy sector matters. Senior consultant Emily Sucart is also an active member of the team.
Energy and natural resources in Dominican Republic
Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral; Michelle Abreu
‘This team is innovative. They are always at the forefront of the energy market and the new regulations and best practices for the management and protection of natural resources.‘
‘Leonel Melo and Michelle Abreu have excellent professional abilities and their experience is a benchmark for quality in the energy and natural resource markets.‘
Streamline Integrated Energy
Putney Capital Management
- Advising Streamline Integrated Energy on obtaining a PPA for the first waste-to-energy (WtE) plant in the Caribbean.
- Assisted SIBA with the financing for the construction and commissioning of an approximately 252 MW combined-cycle gas fired power plant, and its required related assets, including ancillary facilities, located in the Dominican Republic.
Pellerano Nadal, which is praised for its ‘good service and attention to each request made‘, has a strong track record of advising on the development of major domestic energy projects; its recent highlights include assisting Energas with the tender for the construction and operation of an LNG plant in the port of Manzanillo. In addition, the team handles energy-related corporate transactions, regulatory compliance, environmental issues and significant disputes. Gustavo Mena, who has over 30 years of experience in environmental law, including handling international arbitration in this space, leads the team alongside Luis Rafael Pellerano, who is a high-profile name for project finance and transactions in the energy and mining sectors. Senior associate Eduardo Pellerano provides key support.
Gustavo Mena; Luis Rafael Pellerano
‘The team has been excellent from the beginning. They have given us a very good service and attention to each request made.’
- Assisted Energas with participating in a tender for the building and operation of an LNG plant in the port of Manzanillo.
- Acted for Docalsa in a recent environmental dispute in relation to the contamination of natural pools in the area of La Toma.
- Assisted Mota Engil with the bidding process for two international projects in the Dominican Republic, as well as representing the client before government authorities.
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera utilises its strong relationships with law firms worldwide to advise international clients on significant transactions in the energy sector, including project finance and M&A. The firm particularly stands out for its prowess in the renewable energy sphere, where it has recently advised on the development of major solar and biomass power projects. Founding partner Amauris Vásquez Disla and Nathalie Abreu Mejía lead the team; both are key contacts for transactions and contractual issues in the energy and mining sectors. Senior associate Manuel Batista has expertise in the financing and regulatory aspects of energy projects.
Amauris Vásquez Disla; Nathalie Abreu Mejía
‘The team is dynamic, proactive and focused on the client’s needs. They are always looking to create value.‘
‘Amauris Vásquez, Nathalie Abreu and Manuel Batista have the greatest experience in the renewable sector in the country, in addition to all the experience they have accumulated in the energy sector through their transactions and contributions.‘
Potentia Renewable Energy
San Pedro Bio Energy
Powergreen Azua Project
Sergeant Marine Petroleum
Los Cuatro Vientos
Magnetar Global Partners
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana Macao (CEPM)
Compañía de Electricidad Bayahíbe (CEB)
SK E&S Dominicana
Helios Solar Park
- Advised Potentia Renewables on the development of the Canoa Solar Park project.
- Advised San Pedro BioEnergy on the development of the first utility-scale biomass power plant in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised on the development of the Powergreen Azua solar photovoltaic project.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández' energy practice is skilled in the acquisition, financing and development of energy infrastructure projects, frequently acting for both local and international banks, financial institutions and investment funds. Another key facet of the practice consists of advising on the negotiation of power supply contracts and power purchase agreements (PPAs), as well as regulatory and permitting issues. The team is overseen by Jaime Senior, who is prolific in complex financial and corporate transactions in the energy industry, and Marisol Vicens, who is adept at assisting clients with the implementation of sophisticated investment projects.
Marisol Vicens; Jaime Senior
Green Street Power Partners
Puerto Quetzal Power
Isla Dominicana de Petróleo Corporation
Fideicomiso de Oferta Pública de Valores Larimar I No. 04 – FP
- Advised the settlor and trustee of Fideicomiso de Oferta Publica de Valores Larimar I No. 04 – FP in connection with the structuring and organisation of the trust, which owns the right to receivables under a PPA with the Dominican state’s Corporación Dominicana de Empresas Eléctricas Estatales (CDEEE).
- Advised Isla Dominicana de Petróleo Corporation in connection with its partnership with Sol Investments SEZC, a subsidiary of Parkland Corporation, in order to create the Dominican Republic’s largest network of gas stations.
- Assisted SK E&S with its participation in the international public tender for the construction of two power generation blocks in Manzanillo (one of which will include the construction of a natural gas importation terminal).
Jiménez Peña has robust skill sets in matters relating to power generation, transmission and distribution, and has recently seen an uptick in renewable energy mandates. The team, which counts major international sponsors and lenders among its clients, frequently advises on project development and financing (particularly in relation to solar and wind power projects) and handles acquisitions in the energy sphere. Luis Julio Jimenez and Marcos Pena Rodriguez, who are well versed in energy-related transactions, project finance specialist Katherine Rosa and corporate-focused Vilma Veras lead the team. Senior associate Gisselle Valera provides key support on energy and mining matters.
Luis Julio Jimenez; Marcos Peña Rodriguez; Katherine Rosa; Vilma Veras
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Banco Múltiple BHD León
United Renewable Energy (General Energy Solution)
Karpower International DMCC
- Advised United Renewable Energy on the expansion of the total installed capacity of the Monte Plata Solar power plant from 30MW to 60MW.
- Advised Karpower International DMCC on obtaining the provisional concession for the installation of a power ship fuelled by natural gas.
- Assisted Urba Solar with the due diligence for a prospective investment in a 50MW photovoltaic power plant and assisted with the negotiations of a definitive concession agreement with the Dominican State.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti is commended for its ‘great experience and knowledge’ of the energy sector, with a practice that spans transactional and regulatory matters. The firm assists with the financing, development and acquisition of both conventional and renewable energy projects, as well as related permitting and licensing issues. Practice head Jose Maldonado Stark has a strong track record in international project finance, M&A and procurement in the energy sector. He is supported by senior associates Laura Fernandez-Peix, who focuses on corporate and regulatory matters, and Laura Cruz Felix, a go-to name for the development of renewable energy projects.
José Maldonado Stark
‘They show great experience and knowledge of the area. They are a great help to us with our operations in the Dominican Republic in the renewable sector.‘
‘A cohesive and efficient team.‘
‘José Maldonado and Laura Cruz are very good for renewable energy issues.‘