OMG‘s energy work is boosted by the presence of specialists in the team, with energy practice head Michelle Abreu promoted to partner in December 2021 and energy consultant Emily Sucart hired from Guzmán Ariza in January 2022. Since their promotion and hire, Abreu and Sucart have worked on a power purchase agreement (PPA) for Streamline Integrated Energy regarding one of the first waste-to-energy plants in the Caribbean. Esperanza Cabral brings corporate expertise to the practice, regularly co-leading on matters such as acquisitions of renewable energy assets, including due diligence, financing for a solar energy project, and reducing the tax implications of the sale of shares in a wind farm. With oversight from firm president Leonel Melo, the firm often takes on regulatory matters, entering into negotiations with regulators such as the Dominican Tax Authority and working on regulatory elements of transactions. Clients are usually energy companies, but the firm also advises investors on energy projects.
Energy and natural resources in Dominican Republic
Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral; Michelle Abreu
‘OMG is the firm offering the greatest variety of services.’
Streamline Integrated Energy
Putney Capital Management
Haina Investment Corp.
Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd
- Representing Streamline Integrated Energy in obtaining a power purchase agreement for one of the first waste to energy (WtE) plants in the Caribbean.
- Assisted Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd on its participation in the process being carried out by Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC for the potential acquisition of a 52.5MW wind farm and an ancillary 1.5MW photovoltaic solar plant in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Akuo Energy in a complex project financing package granted by a local energy-focused hedge fund, and the largest privately held commercial bank in the Dominican Republic, to the client, an international energy venture that is developing a solar energy project in the Dominican Republic.
Pellerano Nadal‘s assistance for mining corporation Barrick Gold is a highlight of its work, with the firm advising the client on two billion-dollar investments in recent years regarding the Pueblo Viejo Mine. Mining clients are a key focus of the firm, advised by the team on regulatory requirements, such as surface rights, verification of permits and exploration and exploitation licences. The practice also negotiates with authorities, such as the Ministry of Environment and Environmental Commission of the Senate of the Republic, regarding community disputes. Aside from mining, the firm advises liquefied natural gas (LNG) and chemicals clients on procurement and acquisitions. The team aided a client in its participation in a tender for the construction and operation of an LNG plant, while acting for global chemicals distributor IMCD Group in its acquisition of Latin American chemicals provider Andes Chemical, including environmental compliance and due diligence. Practice head Luis Rafael Pellerano co-heads matters alongside Gustavo Mena, who has a focus on environmental law, with associate Eduardo Pellerano providing assistance.
Luis Rafael Pellerano
Barrick Gold Corporation
Belfond Enterprise (Pederson and Partners)
New Fortress Energy
Dominicana de Cales, S.A. (DOCALSA)
- Assisting Barrick Gold with the expansion of the Pueblo Viejo Mine; the additional investment has been increased to an estimated US$3bn with the expectation to be increased in the future.
- Assisting Apache Corporation, a Fortune 500 company that specialises in hydrocarbon exploration, with the legal requirements for its exploration for oil off the coast of San Pedro de Macoris.
- Assisting Pederson and Partners, an independent investment management firm, on the day-to-day legal developments of its high-purity Calcium Carbonate mine in the Barahona Province, an area of high importance for the government.
Taking on multi-million-dollar renewable energy developments, such as a US$64m solar project and US$80m biomass power plant project, De Camps, Vásquez & Valera advises on concessions, permits and licences as well as negotiating engineering, procurement, distribution and services agreements. Solar energy is a focal point, with the firm advising on five photovoltaic projects in the past year. Clients are usually energy companies working on developments, but the firm also performs due diligence in acquisitions and acted for a client participating in a tender for electricity generation. Regulatory specialist Amauris Vásquez Disla and experienced energy contract advisor Nathalie Abreu Mejía co-lead all of the firm’s matters. The practice was boosted by the 2021 hire of senior associate Manuel Batista from the Secretariat of Electric Power, with Batista assisting with permits and concessions for energy projects.
Amauris Vásquez Disla; Nathalie Abreu Mejía
‘De Camps, Vasquez & Valera’s team is outstanding and driven to excellence. They have proven experience in the energy sector. Our experience with this firm goes back to 2010 and so far it has been a constructive and dynamic experience.’
‘Amauris Vasquez is the leader of the energy practice of the firm and one of the best lawyers in the energy sector of the Dominican Republic, due to his holistic approach to the legal and business side of transactions.’
‘Nathalie Abreu: exceptional lawyer with deep knowledge of the regulatory and legal framework of the energy sector of the Dominican Republic.’
‘They are among the most experienced firms in the energy and environmental sectors. Differentiated experience in the mentioned sectors: Nathalie Abreu, Amauris Vasquez and Manuel Batista.’
Potentia Renewable Energy
San Pedro Bio Energy
Powergreen Azua Project
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana, Banco de Servicios Múltiples
Sergeant Marine Petroleum
Grupo Punta Cana
David Jiménez Pérez
Tom Moss & Sawyer Sawyer
Kentucky Foods Group
Magnetar Global Partners
Consorcio Energético Punta Cana Macao
Compañía de Electricidad Bayahíbe
SK E&S Dominicana.
- Advised Potentia Renewables on the development of the Canoa Solar Project, Emerald Solar Energy – a joint company established to work on a 25MW PV project in the southern region of Barahona, Dominican Republic.
- Advised SPBE – San Pedro BioEnergy in the development of the San Pedro Bio Energy Project, the first utility scale biomass power plant in the Dominican Republic, property of the Vicini Holding Group, with an approximate investment of US$80m.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández oversees the due diligence for clients involved in acquisitions of, or investments into, energy generation projects, such as representing STOA in its investment into Poseidón Energía Renovable, the owner of a 100MW wind farm project. Power purchase agreements (PPAs) are another area of work, with the team structuring a trust to own the rights to receivables under a PPA. Marisol Vicens and Jaime Senior co-head the practice, with Vicens bringing experience in energy regulation and Senior advising international clients on investing in Dominican projects, as well as working on a partnership for the operation of gas stations. Carolina Silié, who works on natural gas projects, and Fernando Marranzini, who assists with energy acquisitions, were both promoted to partner in January 2022.
Marisol Vicens Bello; Jaime Senior
‘I would like to commend this firm for their responsiveness. As a client based in Europe, we were dependent on Headrick to be our “eyes and ears” in the Dominican Republic when dealing with complex tenders.’
‘I would make special mention of Carolina Silié. Carolina has been our main contact point for a number of years. She has always offered concise and useful advice on DR legal matters. In addition Carolina has been supremely accommodating in satisfying very demanding and time-pressured requests.’
‘Technical and business-level knowledge of the industry is a major strength of the team. They support their clients to understand the market from a legal perspective and from a business reality perspective. Availability and customer service is a high point of the team. For quick or urgent queries, they provide us with their WhatsApp for greater agility. Their customer service and industry knowledge compare favorably to other firms.’
‘The partner Carolina Silié has great knowledge of the energy regulatory part. Better judgement comes from having some technical knowledge about how power plants work. Her mapping of market players, both public and private, is exceptional.’
Green Street Power Partners
Puerto Quetzal Power
Isla Dominicana de Petróleo Corporation
Fideicomiso de Oferta Pública de Valores Larimar I No. 04
- Advised STOA on its investment in Poseidón Energía Renovable, the company in charge of the development, financing and management of the 100MW Los Guzmancito wind farm project in the municipality of Luperón, Puerto Plata.
- Advised Isla Dominicana de Petróleo Corporation in connection with its partnership with Sol Investments SEZC, a subsidiary of Parkland Corporation, in order to create the Dominican Republic’s largest network of gas stations.
- Advised the settlor and trustee of the Fideicomiso de Oferta Publica de Valores Larimar I No. 04 trust in connection with the structuring and organisation of the trust itself, as well in obtaining approval for the issuance of green bonds for up to USD$100m: the Dominican Republic’s first issuance of green bonds in the Dominican securities market.
Jiménez Peña counts United Renewable Energy, Acciona and Total Energies as clients, as well as Turkish powership operator Karpower, which Marcos Peña Rodríguez advised on concessions and installation of its projects. The team regularly take on acquisitions and investments into photovoltaic power plants, with Katherine Rosa and Vilma Veras performing due diligence for two acquisitions by Acciona. Rosa also negotiates power purchase agreements for renewable energy projects. Luis Julio Jimenez acted for Total Energies in negotiating its alliance with business consortium Grupo Marti. Senior associate Gisselle Valera is an integral member of the team, assisting in all of the firm’s energy matters and working on project development and acquisitions.
Luis Julio Jimenez; Marcos Peña Rodriguez; Katherine Rosa; Vilma Veras
‘Exceptional service and professionalism.’
‘Friendly and professional service at all times.’
‘The team is very complete in terms of competencies, and when they don’t have a competency, they have the contact of another firm to recommend us. So our company can feel fully and comfortably supported.’
‘The availability of the interlocutors: always respond quickly, clearly and kindly.’
International Finance Corporation
Banco Múltiple BHD León
United Renewable Energy (General Energy Solution)
- Advised United Renewable Energy on the expansion of the total installed capacity of the photovoltaic plant ‘Monte Plata Solar’ from 30MW to 60MW.
- Advised Karpower International DMCC on obtaining a provisional concession to the installation of a powership fueled by natural gas.
- Advised Acciona on the acquisition of two photovoltaic power projects.
Much of Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti‘s work in the energy sphere involves renewable projects, including solar and wind, and their regulatory requirements, including regulatory aspects of M&A, construction and financing. Led by José Maldonado Stark, the firm’s work includes project finance, such as foreign investment, as well as due diligence for acquisitions and negotiations of contracts. Managing partner Georges Santoni Recio and Román Medina Diplán provide oversight, and associate Laura Cruz Felix frequently assists with regulatory matters.
José Maldonado Stark
‘The team demonstrates a great knowledge of the sector and the laws applicable to it. They provide full support in all aspects related to the projects.’
‘The key is deep knowledge of the sector and the main actors Jose Maldonado Stark and Laura Fernández give us an excellent service.’