OMG is known for advising operators in the energy and electricity sectors in connection to financial, operational, environmental, tax and regulatory matters. More specifically, the team stands out for its skills in strategic planning and the design of tax structures, with a particular focus on generation. Also of note is the firm's assistance to clients in regulatory matters and contractual negotiations with the regulator. Acquisitions and sales of energy-related assets and financing transactions also feature in the department's workload. Firm president Leonel Melo and legal strategy coordinator Esperanza Cabral jointly lead the team, in which Michelle Abreu also plays an important role as director.
Energy and natural resources in Dominican Republic
Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral
‘When they get involved in a case, they carry out in-depth technical-scientific analysis that positively impacts and adds value to the client’s financial decisions.’
‘Esperanza Cabral and Michelle Abreu are high-profile professionals with vast experience in asset transactions and investments in the energy sector, both in conventional and renewable technology assets. Additionally, they have relevant experience in structuring and managing corporate governance of both operating companies and investment funds with an investment mandate in this energy sector.’
‘OMG’s team is superior to others; it has professionals of the highest level, with vast experience in regulatory, business and transactional matters in the energy sector.’
Streamline Integrated Energy
San Pedro Bio Energy
Putney Capital Management
Haina Investment Corp.
- Advised San Pedro Bio-Energy on the negotiation of a power purchase agreement with the government.
- Represented Inveravante in the sale of the Matafongo Windfarm (34MW upgradeable to 50MW), located in Baní, and a pipeline of renewable energy projects, to Internergy and Fondo Cerrado de Desarrollo de Sociedades Popular.
- Representing Streamline Integrated Energy in obtaining a PPA for a municipal solid waste re-valorisation plant located at San Pedro de Macoris.
Pellerano Nadal has a recognised environmental law practice, which is especially known for working in connection to real estate, mining and energy projects. The team provides environmental due diligence advice and also assists clients in M&A, capital market and financing transactions, areas which are among founding and managing partner Luis Rafael Pellerano's key specialisms. Gustavo Mena combines his focus on environmental law with expertise in banking, corporate, disputes and administrative law. His involvement contributed towards the firm's accreditation by the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources of the Dominican Republic as an environmental service provider.
Luis Rafael Pellerano; Gustavo Mena
Tullow New Ventures Limited
Goldquest Mining Corporation
New Fortress Energy
Barrick Gold Corporation
Dentons United Kingdom
Inter-American Development Bank
World Justice Project
- Assisting Barrick Gold with the expansion of the Pueblo Viejo Mine; an additional investment has been increased to an estimated $3bn, with the expectation to be increased further in the future.
- Assisted Pederson and Partners in a financing deal connected with the development of a calcium carbonate mine located in the south of the country.
- Assisted GoldQuest Mining in all of its matters in the Dominican Republic.
De Camps, Vásquez & Valera‘s energy practice stands out as one of the firm’s core business lines. The team, led by founding partner and co-chair of the business practice group Amauris Vásquez Disla, is known for working on projects only recently brought to the market, a notable example being his advice on the construction of a biomass power plant in the country. PPAs, wind and photovoltaic power generation and public procurement are also among the firm’s areas of activity. Nathalie Abreu Mejía focuses on licenses and permits for the importation and distribution of fuel, project financing, contracts, as well as transactions in the energy and mining sectors.
Amauris Vasquez Disla
‘Amauris Vasquez is extremely professional and a specialist in conventional and renewable energy.’
Potentia Renewable Energy
Pedro Bio Energy
Powergreen Azua Project
Powergreen Nisibon Project
Banco de Reservas de la República Dominicana
Sergeant Marine Petroleum
Grupo Punta Cana
Iglesia Comunidad de Cristo
Kentucky Foods Group
- Advised Potentia Renewable in the development of the Canoa Solar Park, Emerald Solar Energy, a joint company established to work on a 25MW PV project in the southern region of Barahona.
- Advised San Pedro BioEnergy on the development of San Pedro Bio Energy Project, the first utility scale biomass power plant in the Dominican Republic, property of the Vicini Holding Group (INICIA), with an approximate investment of $80m.
- Advised Puma Energy, an international trader of crude oil and natural gas products, with the dissolution of one of its companies in the country.
Headrick Rizik Alvarez & Fernández is regularly involved in major transactions in the energy sector taking place in the Dominican Republic, and also stands out for its assistance in regulatory matters. Practice head Marisol Vicens is particularly recognised for her experience in this field, which she acquired, among other projects, during her work on the privatisation process of the previously state-owned electrical system in the 1990s. Vicens' main areas of activity include investments, public-private partnership contracts, and distribution matters. The team also includes standout practitioners Jaime Senior and associate Carolina Silié, who specialises in permits, authorisations and licences, power purchase agreements and purchase contracts of natural gas, among other areas.
Marisol Vicens; Jaime Senior
‘Jaime Senior is very knowledgeable about the law and is also very business-oriented and capable of providing sensible advice to resolve the client’s problems. He also has an excellent command of English, which makes him very easy to work with.’
Green Street Power Partners
Puerto Quetzal Power
- Acted as legal counsel to Puerto Quetzal Power in the acquisition of the majority of shares of Compañía De Electricidad De Puerto Plata, a power generation company based in the Dominican Republic.
- Acting as local counsel to Fondo de Inversión Cerrado Libre para el Desarolllo de Infraestructuras Dominicanas as lenders in relation to a credit facility in favour of Emerald Solar Energy, operator of the 25MW solar energy farm Parque Solar Canoa.
Jiménez Peña stands out for its involvement in power generation, transmission and distribution. International sponsors and lenders are the main clients of the firm, and are assisted with projects involving the development and financing of solar and wind power projects and M&A transactions. The team places a particular emphasis on the gas industry, having acted in major highlight projects involving LNG pipelines and re-gasification plants. Katherine Rosa assists clients such as Acciona, Total and United Renewable Energy in project finance and development, as well as the acquisition of majority and minority stakes in project companies. Founding partner Marcos Peña Rodríguez is also active in this sector, as is Vilma Veras.
Marcos Peña Rodriguez; Katherine Rosa; Vilma Veras; Luis Julio Jiménez
‘Upright and professional in its recommendations in the energy sector of the Dominican Republic. The responses are punctual and the representation is always impeccable.’
‘Gisselle Valera and Marcos Peña are outstanding lawyers: I’d highlight the excellent professional treatment, dynamism and commitment.’
International Finance Corporation
Banco Múltiple BHD León
United Renewable Energy Company
- Advised United Renewable Energy on the expansion of the total installed capacity of the photovoltaic plant Monte Plata Solar from 30MW to 60MW.
- Advised V Energy on the acquisition of a majority stake in Plater Investment, one of the main distributors of liquified natural gas in the Dominican Republic.
- Advised Acciona on the acquisition of two photovoltaic power projects.
Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti leverages its strengths in the foreign investment, transactional and regulatory fields to assist in a range of matters in the energy sector. Combining different specialisms, the team is able to act in the evaluation, negotiation, investment, reorganisation, construction and financing of projects, including providing assistance with licences and permits. It has a particular focus on renewable energy generation, especially through solar plants, as well as conventional energy and mining projects. Managing partner Georges Santoni Recio focuses on transactions, and José Maldonado Stark is especially sought out by clients in the electromechanical engineering, energy and health sectors. Román Medina Diplan is also noted.
Georges Santoni Recio; Román Medina Diplán; Jose Maldonado Stark
‘A team which is known within the Dominican market as experts in the field. The willingness to help is evident and the response times are excellent.’
‘José Maldonado Stark has demonstrated diligence, knowledge, and professionalism.’
- Advised BAS Project Corporation in the due diligence and project finance for the development of a 50MW renewable energy generation project in San Antonio de Guerra, Santo Domingo.
- Assisted Corporación Dominicana de Empresas Eléctricas Estatales regarding a licence that was previously carried out with the aim of selecting the contractor to provide the operation and maintenance services of a thermoelectric power plant.