Firms in the Spotlight Shipping and transport
Shipping and transport in Denmark
Bech-Bruun advises on the drafting and negotiation of chartering agreements and contractual terms of maritime asset transactions. The firm also advises on insolvency and insurance aspects, including liability aspects arising from ship collisions, grounding and salvage. represents in maritime dispute resolution and provides regulatory advice on dispute resolution clauses and regulatory differences across jurisdictions. Practice head Jes Anker Mikkelsen is experienced in advising on international trade, cargo transportation and maritime construction aspects. Louise Lundsby Wessel has expertise in the shipping, transportation and insurance industries and regularly drafts and negotiates carriage and logistics contracts. Johannes Grove Nielsen is also a key name to note.
Jes Anker Mikkelsen
‘Hands-on approach, easily accessible. The team is also good at bringing in other competences from other parts of the full service of Bech-Bruun if needed.’
‘The team has a good quick understanding of the issues, and responds and distributes tasks quickly.’
‘Bech-Bruun is a well-established law firm within shipping and transport. It has very qualified lawyers and a good approach to problem-solving.’
‘It is possible to have a good business dialogue and understanding of the problems and a quick and professional explanation of solution models.’
J. Poulsen Shipping A/S
MAN Energy Solutions
Norwegian Energy Company ASA
Remontowa Shiprepair Yard
Kuehne & Nagel A/S
A.P. Møller-Mærsk A/S
- Representing more than 100 different clients in respect of the OW Bunker Group collapse, including advice on liability and credit insurance issues.
- Represented Copenship in a maritime insolvency case.
- Acting for Remontowa Shipbuilding S.A. in a dispute with Samsø Rederi in relation the delivery of the ferry PRINSESSE ISABELLA, where Samsø Rederi claims there is a problem with the box coolers which causes problems for the ferry when the water reaches warm temperatures.
The practice at Gorissen Federspiel has expertise in the sale and acquisition of new as well as second-hand tankers and vessels, and the refinancing of debts in the maritime sector. The team also advises on insurance and reinsurance matters as well as on maritime insolvencies. The practice regularly assists with finance and lease agreements in the aviation industry. Peter Appel and Jens V. Mathiasen head the practice and are experienced in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Peter Appel; Jens V. Mathiasen
Other key lawyers:
Paul Wilkinson; Peter Carlstedt Nørtved
‘It’s a truly one-stop platform. There is a wide coverage from the shipping and transportation team led by Peter Appel, who has a strong commercial understanding and one-of-a-kind legal global network that makes international issues easier to discuss.’
‘I value the result-oriented commercial approach and impressive shipping knowledge and understanding. The undisputed number one Danish full-scale shipping firm also benefits from its excellent M&A, corporate and finance lawyers.’
‘Peter Appel has a unique commercial understanding of shipping and transportration disputes and a global network that allows him to react with eyes on the ground almost anywhere in the world.’
‘Partners Peter Appel’s and Jens V. Mathiesen’s professional level really has no competitors. On the personal side, they are both a pleasure to work with. They are committed, available and have a good sense of humour.’
The Scandlines Group
Navigare Capital Partners
Royal Arctic Line
MOL Nordic Tankers
Nordic Aviation Capital
Great Dane Airlines
- Advised the Danish state and Clipper Group regarding the sale of Danish Ferries to Molslinjen.
- Advised Triton on the sale of the chemical tanker company Nordic Tanker to Mol Chemical Tankers.
- Assisting Navigare with the acquisition and finance of a number of vessels and with the drafting of purchase and lease-back terms as well as straight purchase terms.
Hafnia Law Firm
The shipping boutique Hafnia Law Firm advises on ship financing and acts for vessel owners on insurance and liability claims arising from ship collision cases. The firm also advises on matters related to cargo shipping regulations. Mathias Steinø regularly acts for banks in cases of unpaid debts in the maritime sector. Henrik Thal Jantzen has expertise in logistics issues such as freight forwarding as well as on marine casualty. Lars Rosenberg Overby departed to IUNO in late 2019.
Kromann Reumert advises on cargo and insurance claims as well as on transactional work, particularly on the drafting and negotiation of logistics contracts, shipbuilding regulations and the sale and purchase of vessels. Jakob Rosing has expertise in wet and dry shipping, including cargo recovery and insurance matters. The firm is also experienced in representing in shipping litigation and arbitration. Other areas of expertise include the assistance with ship financing.
IF P&C Insurance
Royal Arctic Line
Royal & Sun Alliance
- Assisted a manufacturing company with the drafting and negotiating of a 3PL warehousing contract.
- Assisted Royal Arctic Line with the drafting and negotiating four shipbuilding contracts for container vessels to be built at two shipyards.
- Assisted Greenland Institute of Natural Resources with the drafting and negotiation of a shipbuilding contract for a fishery research vessel to be built at a shipyard.
Plesner has expertise in decommissioning, maritime bankruptcy proceedings, and port regulations. The practice also advises on the development and construction of airports and harbours as well as on shipping-related asset and M&A transactions, including distressed M&A arising from maritime insolvencies. The practice also assists with the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts and regulatory matters regarding the usage of ports. Peter Fogh and Mikkel Falkenberg jointly head the practice and are experienced in mediation, arbitration and litigation in the shipping and transport sector.
Peter Fogh: Mikkel Falkenberg
Other key lawyers:
Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
‘One of the top firms in Denmark, which provides the best and most comprehensive coverage and counselling.’
A.P. Moller – Maersk A/S
The Danish Association of Port Companies
“K” line (Scandinavia) Holding A/S
Hafnia Tankers Group
O.W. Bunker in bankruptcy
Kalaallit Airport A/S
NYK Bulk and Projects Carriers Ltd.
Equinor Refining Denmark A/S
- Advising the insolvent OW Tankers on the handling of the international bankruptcy estate, including maritime law issues such as the sale of a shipping branch and legal international proceedings regarding the protection of maritime assets and collateral security.
- Advised Associated Danish Ports on the €150 establishment of the first dry port in Denmark.
- Acting for The Danish Association of Port Companies in regard to a complaint over the closing down of two ports in Kolding and Vejle.
DLA Piper Denmark assists ship owners, aviation clients, liability insurers, freight forwarders and financial institutions on liability claims, the financing of ships and aeroplanes, as well as on the drafting and negotiation of sale and purchase agreements. The team also frequently acts for bunker suppliers and bunker purchasers. Practice head Henrik Kleis is experienced in handling transport litigation and arbitration, including in relation to arrest of vessels.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Bryde Hansen; Per Vestergaard Pedersen
MSC Denmark A/S
Dansk Bjergning & Bugsering A/S
The Port of Aarhus
Stema Shipping A/S
First Marine A/S
- Assisting Dansk Bjergning § Bugsering A/S with the purchase of two tugboats and the sale of one tugboat.
- Acting for the shipper BHJ A/S on the consignment of containerised goods to Buenos Aires.
- Acting for DB Cargo in connection with a rail accident on the Great Belt on 2nd January 2019.
The practice at IUNO acts for airlines, logistics companies, vessel owners and other transport companies on commercial and transport disputes as well as on liability claims. The practice also advises on the drafting and negotiations of carriage conditions. Aage Krogh is the practice head and covers corporate, commercial and transport law. Mads Poulsen and Lars Rosenberg Overby are also key names to note; Overby joined from Hafnia Law Firm in late 2019.
NJORD Law Firm has expertise in shipping, road transport and logistics. The firm advises on transport insurance, road and sea cargo claims and the drafting and negotiation of sale and purchase agreements concerning ships. Other areas of expertise include regulatory issues such as cabotage, driving and rest time and the EU Mobility Package. The team also advises on marine insurances and reinsurances. Ulla Fabricius leads the practice and represents in disputes arising from collisions and groundings as well as ship arrest.
Other key lawyers:
Christian Benedictsen-Nislev; Thomas Ryhl
‘The team at Njord has a well-founded knowledge of the whole transportation chain and their focus is mainly on this.’
‘Strong, active approach, good advice.’
Codan Forsikring A/S
J. Lauritzen A/S
DSV Group of companies
Bring Group of Companies
Johs. Rasmussen, Svebølle A/S
SAL Heavy Lift
United Heavy Lift
- Representing the Slovakian employer Bring Trucking A/S in a dispute with a Romanian driver on whether the driver can claim Danish wages and other labour rights by reference to the Danish Collective Agreement despite being employed under a Slovakian employment contract.
- Acting for Jutlandia Terminal A/S in a $630k liability court case on damages to wind turbine wings.
- Acted for the ship owner Lauritzen in the declaratory proceeding between the client and Blue Cyresss Line SA against the bunker supply companies Malik Supply A/S and Nordic Marine Oil A/S.
WSCO Advokatpartnerselskab advises ship owners, businesses, brokers and banks on the sale and purchase of vessels as well as their financing and registration. The firm also acts for insurers on the assessment of insurance liability claims related to the grounding, arrest and collision of vessels. The firm also assists with matters regarding maritime insolvency. Practice head Jesper Windahl is active in dispute resolution, which involves both maritime litigation and arbitration.
‘I value their knowledge of laws relating to the transport industry.’
‘The firm has a deep insight and is innovative and always available.’
‘Fast solutions in every matter.’
‘Their knowledge enables them to give prompt answers that are correct and sufficient to the problem.’
‘Jesper Windhal understands extraordinary quickly and focuses on the best interest of the client.’
Jesper Windahl gives me different alternatives for every case I pass to him.’
Federal Government of Canada
The Swedish Club
Alm. Brand Forsikring
Royal Arctic Line
- Advised the Federal Government of Canada in connection with its $274m purchase of three icebreakers.
- Advised Tryg Forsikring in proceedings concerning damages to fresh fruits shipped in several containers from South America to Rotterdam.
- Advised Dansk Landbrugs Grovvareselskab in connection with a DKK1.5m claim for compensation arising from the contamination of bulk cargos.
Andersen Partners is experienced in advising on the maintenance of ships, the drafting and negotiation of transport and logistics contracts as well as in the handling of cargo claims for insurance companies, carriers and owners of goods through litigation and arbitration. The practice also assists with licensing agreements regarding the carriage of mail. Practice head Lissi Andersen Roost specialises in transport and freight forwarding law and has expertise in regulations governing multimodal transport.
Lissi Andersen Roost
‘It is easy to get in contact with them. I always get a quick and useful advice.’
‘Lissi Andersen Roost is outstanding when it comes to understanding the legal aspects of multimodal transport and our way of conducting business. She also has a great cultural understanding and a strong business approach, so we continue seeking her contractual assistance.’
Focus Advokater (LLP) has a particular expertise in ship financing. The team is also experienced in acting for ship owners in relation to corporate and commercial matters, including the establishment of shipping companies in Denmark, ship registration, tax advice as well as the drafting and negotiation of sale and purchase agreements concerning vessels. Practice head Rune Aagaard regularly handles litigation and arbitration arising from cargo and collision claims.
‘They are a specialised ship finance law firm, which makes them unique in the international ship finance market.’
‘The team is well-versed in the transport field – and has a very good dedication to the job and to the customer. The team is very good at listening to us and understand our problems.’
‘Rune Aagaard is a solid guy within shipping and transport.’
‘Rune Aagaard is responsive, practical and very knowledgeable, especially on the complicated bareboat charter registry issues.’
‘Rune Aagaard is my go-to person in Denmark. He is responsive, pragmatic, commercial and a pleasure to deal with.’
‘Rune Aagaard is easy to work with. As a fellow lawyer, I have had many cases against him and he knows what he is doing and he is a good opponent in the sense that you can trust him. Working with him is easy and smooth.’
- Assisted Stena RoRo AB with the intra-group sale of the roro vessels Stena Forecaster and Stena Foretaller, involving registration and mortgaging of vessels pursuant to a syndicated $725m loan agreement.
- Assisted Stena RoRo AB with the registration of roro vessel Mont Ventoux.
- Assisted Terntank Rederi A/S with the $10m sale of the two vessels M/T Tarnfors and M/T Tarndal to non-EEC buyers.