Bech-Bruun is praised for its ‘first-class knowledge‘ of all shipping and transport issues. The group has extensive experience in international dispute resolution, acting for major industry players, including several P&I clients, in both wet and dry shipping matters. It also has a unique position in the Danish market after establishing a dedicated cross-border insolvency shipping team. Names to note are Johannes Grove Nielsen, who clients consider to be ‘the sharpest maritime lawyer in the Nordics’, and Louise Lundsby Wessel, who is especially strong in CMR Convention disputes. Newly promoted partner Camilla Søgaard Hudson is also a key name to note. Former practice head Jes Anker Mikkelsen retired.
Shipping and transport in Denmark
Other key lawyers:
Johannes Grove Nielsen; Louise Lundsby Wessel; Camilla Søgaard Hudson
‘Bech-Bruun is my go-to Danish shipping law firm: they have strength in depth, commercial awareness and their turnaround times are always impressive. I can fire any query at them and they will have someone able to answer it.’
‘Extremely capable team with international reach. First-class knowledge in all shipping and transport-related matters. Very responsible and also very nice to work with.’
‘Johannes Grove Nielsen is an exceptionally good lawyer with lengthy experience and very deep knowledge of shipping and transport law. He is definitely one of the absolute best in Denmark in his field.’
‘Competent, quick, reliable, humble. It is a big firm, but with a most personal feel. One is always welcome. The management style brings out the best in their people, focusing on services and qualities, rather than billing and fees.’
‘Very good conflict resolution skills. Understanding of both legal and commercial points.’
‘Good overview and practical knowledge of the industry; services and advice rendered are very much to the point; quick response times; clients feel comfortable with their advice.’
‘Johannes Grove Nielsen may be the sharpest maritime lawyer in the Nordics, and a truly friendly face. Camilla Søgaard Hudson should be mentioned as a future star.’
MAN Energy Solutions
Remontowa Shiprepair Yard
Kuehne & Nagel A/S
A.P. Møller-Mærsk A/S
- Representing Thor Shipping in the largest maritime insolvency case to emerge in Denmark in 2020 and includes a number of group companies within the Thorco group that all filed for bankruptcy in 2020.
- Advising on more than 100 cases in relation to the OW Bunker Group collapse; clients include several of the world’s largest shipping companies and P&I clubs.
- Representing Icelandic insurance company TM in a matter concerning an insurance coverage claim relating to the grounding of the vessel NOR VIKING.
Gorrissen Federspiel is the ‘go-to shipping law firm in Denmark’, handling disputes, transactions and regulatory work for a broad range of clients including Danish and international shipowners, shipyards and ports. Practice head Peter Appel is a member of the Maritime Law Committee, which advises the Danish government on the appropriate regulation of the sector. The group also has a strong position in the Nordic aviation sector, with Morten Hans Jakobsen taking the lead on these matters.
Other key lawyers:
Morten Hans Jakobsen
‘The Gorrissen team is exceptionally placed in the Danish shipping market and is really the only real tier 1 firm for shipowners in Denmark. The team has a wide range of capabilities covering traditional maritime law areas but have in recent years built capabilities within shipping M&A, private equity and ship finance which is only rivalled by the top London firms.’
‘All are very qualified in shipping issues and available to assist (service minded) and innovative in reaching solutions also in an international light.’
‘Gorrissen Federspiel is the go-to shipping law firm in Denmark. The shipping practice is very strong in classic shipping work as well as any other legal issues a shipping operator may require.’
‘Gorrissen is a full boutique law firm that can handle all aspects related to shipping ranging from acquisitions, employment contracts, financing and all kind of arbitration. Strong team and internally cooperative.’
‘The knowledge of both the shipping and financing market as well as the business of the client. The thoroughness in the work delivered.’
‘Outstanding in every way.’
Dee4 Capital Partners
Navigare Capital Partners
- Acting for Rohde Nielsen in a landmark injunction case establishing Danish jurisdiction for the pre-emptive drawing on international bank guarantees.
- Advising Maersk Tankers on the sale of 14 product tankers to China Development Bank Financial Leasing (CDBL) for $422m.
- Advising Danish cargo airline Star Air, part of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group, in respect of its expansion of the operation.
Hafnia Law Firm
Shipping boutique Hafnia Law Firm has strong relationships with ship owners and shipyards, local and international marine insurers and the international bunker industry. The group handles both wet and dry shipping work, including high-profile litigation and arbitration proceedings. It has also extensive experience in the offshore wind industry with mandates in chartering issues and offshore construction work. Practice head Niels Jørn Friborg has seen an increase in instructions relating to marine casualties, while Henrik Thal Jantzen handles a range of issues, including cargo recovery matters, logistics issues and freight forwarding work.
Niels Jørn Friborg
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Thal Jantzen; Mathias Steinø; Anders Amstrup Fournais; Andreas Oxholm; Harold Søndergaard; Anders Bjørn Nielsen
‘In-depth knowledge of the business and market players. Small boutique law firm with lots of power. Great team of partners, lawyers and junior associates that are always nice to work with.’
‘Anders Bjørn Nielsen and Mathias Steinø are our preferred partners. Their approach to problem solving is innovative and they do not beat around the bush. Advice is always to the point, fees are most often reasonable and they are always available.’
Blue Water Shipping
Falcon Maritime Group
- Advised Danish marine cargo insurers in respect of the grounding of M/V Ever Given in the Suez Canal.
- Advised H&M insurers on a collision between M/V Ice Rose and a Russian Navy vessel in the Danish Sound.
- Advised H&M and P&I insurers in respect of the sinking of F/V Polar Aassik in Disco Bay, Greenland.
DLA Piper Denmark
Active in both Copenhagen and Aarhus, DLA Piper Denmark is regularly involved in matters originating in key shipping and logistics hubs, as well as the industrial and offshore clusters in both the Western parts of Denmark and in Copenhagen. The firm also leverages its global network to effectively handle multi-jurisdictional shipping matters. Airlines, ferry operators, logistics providers, ports and financial institutions make up the firm’s client bas. Henrik Kleis leads the group, which includes Per Vestergaard Pedersen and Christian Benedictsen-Nislev .
Other key lawyers:
Henrik Frandsen; Per Vestergaard Pedersen; Christian Benedictsen-Nislev
‘Christian Benedictsen-Nislev – Business mindset and commercial knowledge about the market. Knowledge about the shipping and transport market. Easy to work with and keeps tight deadlines.’
‘Very dedicated, good collaboration.’
‘Partners have shipping insight apart from being experts in public tender issues.’
‘Partner Christian Benedictsen-Nislev has an MBA in shipping and a keen interest in all issues related to that sector.’
‘Per Vestergaard Pedersen: very professional, passionate about his work, if needed, always available to discuss matters, very knowledgeable in logistics, has more than 20 years of work experience, a very trusted partner, armed with can-do attitude and very strong.’
MSC Denmark A/S
Dansk Bjergning & Bugsering A/S
The Port of Aarhus
The Port of Kalundborg
The Port of Grenaa
Alba Tankers Aalborg ApS
Copenhagen Airports A/S
DB Cargo Scandinavia A/S
Polaris Private Equity
DAT (Danish Air Transport)
The Ferry Secretariat
- Assisting the Ferry Secretariat with preparing and executing a programme for the construction of up to 25-30 passenger ferries for the client’s 18 members over the course of 10 years.
- Assisting DB Cargo Scandinavia in connection with the Great Belt accident, the investigations of the Accident Investigation Board and the claims of DSB for damage to the trains and indemnification for passenger claims, as well as claims from other parties sustaining losses from the accident, reimbursement of costs etc.
- Representing A.P. Møller-Mærsk in legal proceedings before the Danish Supreme Court involving several issues of principle in relation to the applicability of jurisdiction clauses and the Brussels Regulation under Danish law, in the context of a cargo claim brought against the client following the loss of containers at sea in the Mediterranean Sea due to heavy weather.
IUNO has a strong track record in handling aviation and freight mandates, and continues to strengthen its shipping practice. The group has particular expertise in air carrier liability claims and primarily handles cases in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Lars Rosenberg Overby and Mads Poulsen are regularly instructed to act in shipping disputes for a range of clients, including insurance companies, underwriters and shipowners. Overby and Poulsen jointly lead the team with transportation specialist Aage Krogh.
Lars Rosenberg Overby; Mads Poulsen; Aage Krogh
‘IUNO is an innovative, modern law firm, thinking out of the box.’
‘Aage Krogh is a modern leader of a modern law firm.’
‘Specialist expertise and commercial awareness.’
‘They have a very personal touch. From my point of view, I have been dealing with Mads Poulsen for several years. He is very much into the details and excellent at prosecuting in court.’
‘Lars Rosenberg Overby’s stewardship of a recent arbitration, to a successful award, was excellent in all respects. I would not hesitate to instruct him again.’
MHI Vestas Off Shore Wind
Norwegian Hull Club
Danish Association of Freight Forwarders
YOYO Global Freight
- Represented various cargo insurers and freight forwarders in relation to the EVER GIVEN – grounding of ship in the Suez Canal in March 2021. Advising on high-value security and salvage matters and on complicated maritime law issues.
- Advised five shipowners with all aspects arising out of the bankruptcies of Danish company TS Chartering (part of the Thorco Group) that had bareboat chartered five vessels from Japanese owners and their guarantor (Thor Shipping).
- Represented British Airways successfully in litigation against consumer claims relating to passengers’ rights to gain a cash refund against bonus points used to purchase flights; and a claim for refund of bonus points in a different currency from the original payment.
Kromann Reumert‘s maritime and transport practice handles both contentious and non-contentious work. The group has strong litigation capabilities and works closely with the firm’s ship finance group. Practice head Jakob Rosing has extensive experience in wet and dry shipping matters, focusing primarily on cargo recovery claims, insurance issues and defence work. Another name to note is Thomas Kaas, who is an expert in ship financing work and acts for both Danish and international shipping banks.
Other key lawyers:
‘Kromann Reumert is very strong in all aspects of financing and are especially strong within ship financing and is preferred partner when the banks are drafting loan documentation.’
‘Competent in shipping law.’
‘Thomas Kaas is solution-focused, delivers on time, cost efficient, has a strong network, very experienced, available when needed. He is one of the absolute best ship financing lawyers I have ever met.’
‘Partner Thomas Kaas has decades of experience within ship financing and has represented us for the past 20 years. Thomas serves as a trusted adviser to other financial institutions engaged in ship finance as well both domestic and international clients. Thomas is highly skilled and very pragmatic and always succeeds in balancing the interest of the opposing parties and finding workable solutions. Technically he is also a very good lawyer and always available.’
Royal Arctic Line
Danish Ship Finance
- Assisted Alandia in connection with an insurance recourse claim against a shipyard after an engine breakdown onboard a container vessel.
- Advised Royal Arctic Line A/S on several shipbuilding contracts in different jurisdictions, including one arctic container vessel from a shipyard in Poland, four container vessels from shipyards in Spain, and one container vessel from a shipyard in China.
- Defending Karpowership in proceedings before the Maritime and Commercial High Court in Copenhagen in a dispute about illegal arrest and payment for services to a Danish Yard.
Plesner is best known for its expertise in ship finance work and transactions, with particular expertise in shipping and offshore matters, including charters, ship registrations and offshore installations. The group also has strong cross-border capabilities, with practice co-head Peter Fogh handling international shipping contracts and ship financing matters. Fellow co-head Niklas Korsgaard Christensen has extensive experience in the construction and financing of airports and harbours.
Peter Fogh; Niklas Korsgaard Christensen
Equinox Melida Maritime Ltd and Equinox Maritime Limited
CMA CMG and its subsidiary CMA Ships
A.P. Møller – Maersk A/S
Danske Havnevirksomheder (The Danish Association of Port Companies)
Dansk Skibskredit (Danish Ship Finance)
“K” Line (Scandinavia) Holding A/S
Hafnia Tankers Group
ADP A/S (Associated Danish Ports)
Kalaallit Airport A/S
NYK Bulk and Projects Carriers Ltd.
Equinor Refining Denmark A/S
Transport Danmark A/S
Frode Lauersen Transport A/S
- Acting as trustee of OW Tankers’ bankruptcy estate.
- Adviser to Associated Danish Ports concerning the establishment of the first dry port in Denmark, which is a major new logistics centre.
- Adviser to Kalaallit Airports regarding the development and construction of three new airports in Greenland which are of vital interest to the transport infrastructure in Greenland.
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm‘s maritime and transport practice focuses on logistics and road transport work as well as the offshore industry. The group holds a unique position advising and representing freight forwarders and haulage companies in matters relating to the EU Mobility Package, posting of drivers and all matters relating to ‘social dumping’. Ulla Fabricius heads up the practice, which also handles ship recycling and decommissioning work, pool agreements and complex logistics contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Codan Forsikring A/S
Anders Nielsen & Co. A/S
DSV Group of companies
H.P. Therkelsen A/S
Bring Group of Companies
Johs. Rasmussen, Svebølle A/S
BHS Logistics A/S
SAL Heavy Lift
United Heavy Lift
Active in litigation and arbitration proceedings, the shipping and transport group at WSCO Advokatpartnerselskab handles both wet and dry shipping matters. It has particular expertise in liability claims concerning cargo consignment damage and acts for several of Denmark’s leading insurers as well as Scandinavian and English P&I and hull clubs. The ‘excellent’ Jesper Windahl leads the practice.
‘The team is a team of outstanding lawyers and specialists in their field who provide very effective and focused advice. In addition to the high level of expertise, the very timely and very service-oriented nature of the advice stands out very positively.’
‘Attorney-at-law Jesper Windahl is highly skilled and has lots of experience within shipping and transport. Besides a commercial mindset, Jesper also has an agreeable and diplomatic personality which also reflects his approach in legal matters.’
‘Competent lawyers in the Marine sector and provides quick, accurate responses and to the point with non-lengthy messages.’
‘Jesper Windahl is an excellent Marine lawyer.’
The Swedish Club
Alm. Brand Forsikring
Chemical Transportation Group
DTK Road A/S
Alpi Denmark A/S
Frode Laursen A/S
- Acted for Tryg and its insured (a well known toys-manufacturer) against DSV Road A/S in case concerning loss of a trailer with toys in the UK.
- Acted for Tryg and its insured in a case concerning a liability claim for damage to a bulk cargo of wood pellets during sea-carriage from Paldiski, Estonia to Korsør, Denmark.
- Acted for Alm. Brand as cargo insurers against COSCO in matter concerning temperature damage to frozen food-products during transport from China to Germany. The case concerned liability pursuant to B/L-terms and the Hague-Visby Rules.
The ‘very knowledgeable’ team at Andersen Partners is led by Lissi Andersen Roost, who is an expert in transportation law and international private law regulation on the carriage of goods and passengers. The practice has notable expertise in postal services in Denmark, including public regulation and official approval for carriage of mail. It also advises on logistics contracts, ship maintenance issues and has experience in litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Lissi Andersen Roost
‘Lissi Andersen Roost- Very knowledgeable re transport law and regulation. Understanding of practical implications for business.’