EU and competition in Czech Republic
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law has an excellent track record in the competition space, praised for its 'deep knowledge of the issues and highly commercial advice', and is led by Robert Neruda. The experienced team, which also deals with Slovak law, offers the full scope of services that includes advising multinational clients on merger control, abuse of dominant position and compliance matters. It has often appeared before the European Commission in contentious matters. Petr Kadlec, who was previously based at the Commission in Brussels as a senior lawyer, is noted for his extensive expertise in investigations and knowledge of competition law. Juraj Steinecker leads the team in Slovakia and is the key name for cross-border work.
‘Absolutely unique mix of competition law and competition economics. The best pro-business solution on the Czech legal market.‘
‘Robert Neruda has unique legal knowledge.’
‘Milan Broucek is the best competition law economist in the Czech Republic.‘
‘High-level knowledge of competition law and the ability to match such knowledge with the needs of the client.‘
T-Mobile Czech Republic (Deutsche Telekom Group)
Albert Česká republika (Ahold Delhaize Group)
Unipetrol (PKN Orlen Group)
Český Aeroholding (operator of Václav Havel Airport Prague)
Johnson & Johnson / Janssen-Cilag
Philip Morris ČR
City of Ostrava
Hyundai Motor Czech
Glaxo SmithKline and Glaxo SmithKline Consumer
Volkswagen Financial Services / ŠkoFIN
Philip Morris ČR
Český Aeroholding (operator of Václav Havel Airport Prague)
- Representing T-Mobile Czech Republic (Deutsche Telekom Group) in proceedings before the European Commission concerning a network-sharing agreement between the two largest telecoms operators, T-Mobile and O2 CZ/Cetin.
- Advising Unipetrol on various specific areas of competition law.
- Advising Nestlé Česko on competition matters, including the assessment of intended business models and practices, the evaluation of the risks associated with their implementation and proposals for measures to eliminate those risks.
White & Case (Europe) LLP is singled out for its 'outstanding' competition practice and is led by specialist Ivo Janda. The team noted for its advice on the competition aspects of high-stakes M&A transactions, such as merger filings. The team has the ability to handle cross-border work thanks to its offices across the CEE region. Counsel Magda Olyšarová is the key name for complex competition litigation.
‘The W&C team is thorough in its analysis, and has a strong team of seasoned experts who know their topic in-depth and are pragmatic and commercial in their recommendations. They are great at getting the job done.’
České Radiokomunikace a.s.
Energetický a Průmyslový Holding, a.s.
České dráhy, a.s. (Czech Railways)
Mid Europa Partners
ČEZ Distribuce, a. s.
- Advised PPF Group on the merger control aspects of its €2.8bn acquisition of Telenor’s telecoms assets in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Advising ČEZ Distribuce, the largest electricity distribution company in the Czech Republic, on corporate and regulatory matters in relation to the applicable Czech and EU legal framework.
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy's competition team is able to draw on the expertise of the firm's international network of offices. Led by Warsaw-based regional head Marta Sendrowicz and Ivana Halamova Dobiskova in Prague, the team handles competition law matters such as merger clearance and control, abuse of dominance cases and EU law, in co-operation with the Brussels office. Competition team member and experienced associate Iva Bilinská left for Deloitte Legal s.r.o., advokátní kancelář.
Marta Sendrowicz; Ivana Halamova Dobiskova
Škoda Auto DigiLab
Mubadala Investment Company
Rail Cargo Austria AG and Rail Cargo Logistics Austria
Tesco Stores ČR a.s
- Advised Indorama Ventures on the antitrust aspects of its acquisition of Invista Resins & Fibers from its sole shareholder Arteva Holdings.
- Advised Aegon on the antitrust aspects of the divestment of its insurance businesses in the Czech Republic and Slovakia for €155m to NN Group.
- Advised Mubadala Investment Company on the antitrust aspects of the joint venture between Yahsat and Hughes Network Systems.
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's competition practice is jointly led by Alexandr César and Vienna-based Kateřina Schenková, and handles a mix of Czech and Slovak matters. The team is experienced in advising on merger filings, acting for clients primarily in the telecoms and pharmaceutical space. The group can undertake cross-border work with ease, co-operating with its Frankfurt and Brussels offices on EU law matters.
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Moulins de Kleinbettingen S.A.
- Advising LKQ Corporation, a globally active US-based automotive parts distributor, on the Czech merger clearance proceedings relating to the envisaged €1.5bn acquisition of the German car parts specialist Stahlgruber.
- Assisted on the merger approval in connection with the sale of PepsiCo’s bottling production in the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary to KMV.
- Advised GI Group on the merger clearance of its acquisition of a competitor in the Czech Republic in the area of HR services.
At Dentons, the team is particularly well regarded for its ability to handle complex competition matters for clients spanning multiple sectors, including energy, life sciences and automotive. Practice head Petr Zákoucký is noted for his energy expertise and is active in merger control, state aid and investigations. Adam Přerovský focuses on the competition aspects of commercial matters and has appeared before the courts in competition proceedings for clients.
Sev.en Energy Group
Bpd partners (including Draslovka Holding)
Group Mars (including Mars Czech, Wrigley and Royal Canin)
Energetický a průmyslový holding (EPH)
Pacifico Energy Partners
- Advising Czech-based merchants fronted by LitFin, a class action provider, on the private enforcement of large competition law claims against Visa.
- Advised Sev.en Energy Group on energy sector-specific state aid and competition issues, as well as on the EU merger filling in connection with the acquisition of a 50% stake in multinational energy company InterGen.
- Advising L’Oréal on the antitrust compliance of its Czech, Slovak and Hungarian distribution and trade policies.
Kocián Šolc Balaštík has a strong track record of acting for local and multinational clients in mid-to-high-value competition-related litigation before the courts. The team also handles state aid, merger clearance and other competition law matters. Led by Pavel Dejl, whose focus is on dispute resolution, the team also includes Sylvie Sobolová and associate Martin Vráb, and has strength in the automotive and financial sectors.
Asiana, spol. s r.o.
Karlovarské minerální vody, a.s.
Siad Czech spol. s r.o.
Ferrero Česká s.r.o.
Leo Express, a.s.
Česká národní banka (Czech National Bank)
RWE Supply & Trading CZ a.s.
O2 Czech Republic, a.s.
Advanced World Transport, a.s.
Slot Group a.s.
- Successfully represented Asiana in a case before the Regional Court in Brno pertaining to a market squeeze out.
- Represented KMV in acquisition clearance proceedings with the Czech competition authority, the Office for the Protection of Competition.
- Represented Skanska in proceedings before the Office for the Protection of Competition regarding a potential violation of the Competition Act by bid-rigging.
Kinstellar's practice is led by Tomáš Čihula and has experience advising on all aspects of competition law. The Prague team is skilled in handling cross-border merger clearance, often co-operating with the firm's office in Slovakia. The wider team includes associate Michal Forýtek and Adam Němec, both of whom have competition law and public procurement experience.
‘The Kinstellar team understands the business of its clients and provides excellent and timely advice. It is always a pleasure to work with them.‘
NN (Nationale Nederlanden)
CPI Property Group
Johnson & Johnson
Vězeňská služba České republiky (the Prison Service of the Czech Republic)
Doosan Lentjes 2
Nexen Tire Corporation
- Advised NN on merger control proceedings regarding the €155m acquisition of Aegon life insurance company in the Czech Republic.
- Advising Johnson & Johnson / Janssen regularly on various competition law issues regarding the distribution of products in the market.
- Advising Net4Gas on public procurement issues in relation to its public tenders.
Pokorný, Wagner & Partners
Pokorný, Wagner & Partners has skill in representing a wide range of clients, including multinational conglomerates, in competition-related administrative proceedings. It also has experience appearing in cases before the European Commission. The team is led by Jozef Mikloško, who focuses on unfair competition matters, while Jaromír Pařil is recommended for his extensive experience in EU law.
Citic Europe Holdings a.s. (formerly CEFC Group (Europe) Company a.s.)
Eurovia CS, a.s.
- Advising Citic Europe Holdings on obtaining merger clearance by the European Commission on the acquisition of joint control in a holding company.
- Representing Eurovia in administrative proceedings concerning an alleged cartel accused of engaging in bid-rigging.
ROWAN LEGAL is described as 'always one step ahead' and is experienced in representing telecoms and technology sector clients in competition-related litigation before the local and European courts. Led by Michal Nulíček and Jan Měkota, the team handles investigations and merger control proceedings. Vilém Podešva is a key contact in the group due to his multi-practice expertise, which covers public procurement and arbitration.
Michal Nulíček; Jan Měkota
‘Vilém Podešva combines deep domain expertise with a business-minded, problem-solving approach.‘
‘The lawyers are very resourceful, have a deep understanding of legal and factual matters, and work very efficiently and flexibly as a team.’
O2 Czech Republic
UP Česká republika
Česká republika – Ministerstvo půmyslu a obchodu
EC Financial Services
- Represented AŽD Praha in several merger proceedings before the Czech Republic’s Office for the Protection of Competition.
- Represented O2 Czech Republic before the Office for the Protection of Competition in a case relating to potential bid-rigging in a tender procedure.
- Representing waste management company AVE CZ in proceedings before the Czech Office for the Protection of Competition and the Czech courts pertaining to bid-rigging in several tender procedures for construction works.
Schoenherr Czech Republic
Schoenherr Czech Republic's competition team is led by Claudia Bock, who also oversees the Bratislava practice, and advises clients across a range of sectors on merger control and regulatory matters. The group also has contentious experience and has represented clients in competition litigation, as well as the capacity to handle cross-border matters alongside the firm's Brussels team.
‘Schoenherr’s team can take into account the requirements of international law in this area and assess them alongside the requirements of the law in the Czech Republic.‘
REWE Group (BILLA)
EVO Payments Inc.
Continental Group (ContiTech AG, Continental Barum, ContiTrade, Continental Matador Rubber)
Clarivate Analytics LLC
Molex Electronic Technologies
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
Czech Association of Tyre Producers and Importers
- Advised Jägermeister on the antitrust and merger control aspects of the acquisition of Rémy Cointreau’s distribution subsidiaries in the Czech Republic.
- Represented Molex in merger control proceedings before the Office for the Protection of Competition related to its acquisition of the connected vehicle solutions division of Laird.
- Represented the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in merger control proceedings before the Office for the Protection of Competition related to the creation of the Maple Power joint venture.
Taylor Wessing LLP
At Taylor Wessing LLP, the competition team is led by Markéta Deimelová and has vast experience advising a wide range of local and international clients on merger control and investigations. Barbora Dubanská, who splits her time between Prague and Vienna, is recommended for her compliance advice to pharmaceutical and life sciences sector clients. The team also has expertise in contentious matters and has represented clients before the competition authorities.