Privatisation, projects and energy in Croatia
Drawing on the expertise of practitioners within the corporate and finance practice groups and also benefiting from excellent subject matter and regulatory knowledge within the energy sector, Šavorić & Partners is often involved in many of the highest-profile mandates in the market for borrowers and lenders. Banking and finance head Mia Lazić regularly acts for banks on the funding of significant renewable energy projects, as well as handling energy-related M&A (including renewables and LNG) for a range of investors, including private equity sponsors.
Boris Šavorić; Mia Lazić; Lovro Gašparac
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)
Leveraging a 'strong client base in the private sector and among international financial institutions', Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria) provides a 'very reliable service' across a range of pivotal energy and infrastructure projects throughout the country. Drawing upon the strengths of the firm's corporate, banking and tax expertise, in particular, and also regularly teaming up with practitioners from across the firm's network on regional deals, the team is well positioned to provide a very comprehensive service to many major stakeholders, including EBRD and Gazprom. Marija Mušec provides niche expertise in public procurement matters, both from a bidding perspective and in any appeals process, while 'the knowledgeable and approachable' Marija Zrno provides M&A expertise on energy projects.
Marija Mušec; Hrvoje Bardek
‘The team has both domestic and regional experience with strong international references.‘
‘The lawyers are open-minded and nice to work with.‘
‘Strong client base in the private sector and among international financial institutions.’
‘Very reliable service.‘
‘Marija Zrno is knowledgeable and approachable.‘
Dravske elektrarne Maribor
- Advising the EBRD on the legal aspects of implementing Energy Service Company projects in the public sector (excluding Croatia) in Western Balkans.
- Acted for Thales in a tender appeal concerning a public tender published by the state-run railway infrastructure company.
- Advised Gazprom on the potential participation in the Republic of Croatia’s second onshore bidding round for exploration and production of hydrocarbons.
Leveraging the firm's excellent full-service reputation, Divjak, Topic & Bahtijarevic provides a one-stop-shop service to many notable energy companies on their activity in the country, particularly as it relates to renewables work. Name partner Emir Bahtijarević provides corporate and real estate support across renewable energy mandates and infrastructure projects. Mario Krka is also a key member of the team and is involved across the lifecycle of energy project developments.
Emir Bahtijarević; Mario Krka
Globe Trade Centre
- Advising French independent renewable energy power producer, Akuo Energy on corporate and energy-related matters.
- Assisting ABB with all energy-related matters concerning the client’s business activities in Croatia.
- Advising Spanish company, Acciona Energy, across a myriad of issues related to its wind farm project in Croatia.
'Exceptionally strong on concessions projects', Hanzekovic & Partners has been involved for varied stakeholders in many of the most prominent utilities, transport and energy projects throughout Croatia. 'Knowledgeable and experienced' team head Jasminka Čorda Truhar is at the forefront of the most significant projects handled by the team and is praised for her 'excellent drafting of project documentation and contracts'. She also has market-leading expertise in the field of FIDIC form construction contracts.
Jasminka Čorda Truhar
‘The firm has the highest level of knowledge and unique experience in the field of project financing, especially on Croatian transport infrastructure projects.‘
‘The very professional team provides fast solutions and has huge experience across various projects, whether contracted by state or private firms.‘
‘Exceptionally strong on concessions projects.‘
‘The solutions-oriented Jasminka Čorda-Thruhar is a very competent leader.‘
‘Jasminka Čorda-Thruhar is knowledgeable and experienced.’
City of Zagreb
LNG CROATIA LLC
Hrvatske autoceste d.o.o.
Hrvatske ceste d.o.o.
- Advising The City of Zagreb as the concession grantor, on the Central Wastewater Treatment Plan project, the first concession for a wastewater treatment plant in Croatia.
- Acting for the project developer on the development of the LNG terminal on the Island of Krk.
Macesic & Partners LLC has effectively parlayed its market-leading maritime expertise to include broader expertise in offshore energy matters, including LNG and oil and gas projects. Led by Ivana Manovelo, the team's eclectic client base runs the gamut from shipowners and oil companies to banks and investors.
‘Responsive and helpful regarding all kinds of contracts.‘
‘Miran Macesic is an extraordinary lawyer.‘
Caronte & Tourist Isole Minori S.p.A.
White Falcon Petroleum Technologies
- Advising a European company on a joint venture project for an industry breaking device in the heavy oil production sector.
- Acting for a US oil and gas company on its participation in a bidding round for exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons on Croatian territory.
- Assisting a global energy company with hydrocarbons trading in Croatia.
Madirazza & Partners is particularly noted for its expertise in M&A and project finance relating to energy projects. Josip Madirazza is 'one of the most successful and recognised senior attorneys in the market' and handles work for both lenders and borrowers. Senior associate Marinka Kovačić has 'excellent knowledge of energy-related matters'.
Josip Madirazza; Morana Herak
‘Josip Madirazza is one of the most successful and recognised senior attorneys in the market.‘
‘Marinka Kovačić has excellent knowledge of energy-related matters‘
HRVATSKI TELEKOM d.d.
wpd europe GmbH
RWE ENERGIJA d.o.o.
Biomass to Energy Županja d.o.o.
Biomass to Energy Benkovac d.o.o.
Maltezian, a. s.
MET Croatia Energy Trade Ltd. (subsidiary of MET Holding AG, Switzerland)
Vjetroelektrana Rudine d.o.o.
RP Global Danilo d.o.o. (RP Global group)
Vjetroelektrana Lukovac d.o.o.
- Advising German-based wpd Group on a joint venture project for the development of a new wind farm.
- Acted for Hrvatski telekom, a subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom, on the divestment of its electricity business to RWE, the second largest electricity supplier in Croatia.
- Advising MET Croatia Energy Trade on obtaining financing for the MET Group and providing day-to-day advice on the various natural gas and power contract issues and corporate law issues.
Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC
Jointly headed by Natalija Perić and Vladimir Mamic, Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC acts for domestic and international stakeholders engaged in the production of both traditional and renewable energy sources. Leveraging strong corporate, real estate and finance credentials, and also benefiting from overarching knowledge of the legal and regulatory frameworks underpinning work in the area, the team is well equipped to advise banks, investors and energy companies on major projects throughout the country.
Natalija Perić; Vladimir Mamić
‘The efficient team has deep legal knowledge and experience.‘
Unit Investment N.V & Unit International S.A (Unit Group)
HEP d.d. (HEP Group member)
HOPS (HEP Group member)
Privredna banka Zagreb d.d.
- Advising Unit Investment N.V and Unit International S.A (Unit Group), a major regional investor group in the energy sector, on the project financing of a 9.7MW biomass power plant in Babina Greda, with an aggregate deal value of €30m.
- Assisting HEP Group member, Hrvatski operator prijenosnog sustava d.o.o. with real estate issues related to legal facilitation of systems for electricity transmission cables on the level of the Republic of Croatia, and harmonising the desirable outcome to be in accordance with EU law.
- Advising Privredna banka Zagreb, (Croatian subsidiary of Intesa Sanpaolo) on several high-value domestic and cross- border projects, including significant infrastructure projects, notably the construction of a wind power plant in Bosnia and Herzegovina with a project value of €45.7m.
Drawing on founding partner Josip Marohnić's vast regulatory knowledge in the energy space, Marohnic, Tomek & Gjoic, Law Firm has rapidly positioned itself as one of the leaders in the market for private and public sector entities. As well as his advisory work for the Ministry of Environment and Energy, and the European Commission, Marohnić has also recently been engaged in a number of transactions in the sector, including for the relevant municipal authorities in relation to numerous European Structural and Investment Fund (ESIF)-related public utilities infrastructure projects.
Ministry of Environment and Energy
City of Osijek
PCC Biomasa Karlovac
CONTROL PROCESS SPÓŁKA AKCYJNA
Rigi Real Estate AG
- Assisting the municipal waste authority with the development of an integrated solid waste management plant financed by ESIF funds.
- Advised Rigi Real Estate on the biogas power plant dryer facility and eco-fertiliser product development in partnership with the Croatian Faculty of Agriculture.
- Advised the project development company PCC Biomasa Karlovac on the sale of the structurally complex, regulatory conditioned sale of a biomass cogeneration power plant, located in Karlovac, Croatia.
Headed by Saša Jovičić, the 'professional, knowledgeable and responsive' team at Wolf Theiss - Zagreb branch is appreciated for its 'legal expertise and experience as international legal advisers' across the gamut of infrastructure projects within the transportation and energy sectors, in particular. In addition to his subject matter knowledge and expertise on the corporate, real estate and commercial aspects of infrastructure projects, Jovičić also has an excellent pedigree in relation to public procurement matters. He is currently representing the Turkish-Italian consortium of bidders in the appeal proceedings against the tender award decision for construction of the Pelješac Bridge.
‘The team is professional, knowledgeable and responsive.‘
‘Stands out for its legal expertise and experience as international legal advisers.‘
IC İçtaş İnşaat Sanayi ve Ticaret
VAMED Estate Development and Engineering
Global Ports Holding
KELAG-Kärntner Elektrizitäts- Aktiengesellschaft
International Container Terminal Services
NIS-Naftna industrija Srbije (GazProm Neft Group)
- Acting for Global Ports Holding in proceedings concerning the award of the concession of cruise port passenger terminal Zadar.
- Representing the Turkish-Italian consortium of bidders, consisting of the construction companies Ictas and Astaldi, in appeal proceedings against the tender award decision for construction of the Pelješac Bridge.
- Advising Kelag, a leading Austrian energy service provider, on its acquisition of a wind farm in Croatia with a 10MW+ capacity.
Leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach that draws upon practitioners from across the firm's market-leading corporate, banking and real estate teams, Žurić i Partneri is regularly involved for investors, financiers and project development companies on many of the most significant energy and infrastructure projects in the country. Jointly headed by Miroslav Plašćar and Duško Žurić, the team is well equipped to advise clients across the spectrum of PPP, PFI and concession-based projects.
Miroslav Plašćar; Duško Žurić
Gajski, Grlic, Prka & Partners
‘The team provides timely, accurate and knowledgeable legal advice in public procurement procedures.‘
‘The team is capable to handle the most complex and difficult legal tasks concerning both preparation of tender documentation and appeals procedures with high attention to detail.‘
‘Elias Ernst regularly demonstrates that he is able to handle some of the most prominent and complex public procurement cases in Croatia with success, due to his high level of attention to detail.‘
‘Elias Ernst is highly informed and knowledgeable regarding public procurement procedures and the relevant case law.‘
Led by the 'solution-oriented' Mojmir Ostermann, Ostermann & Partners LLP acts for a range of stakeholders - including lenders, sponsors and contractors - engaged in energy and infrastructure projects. The team also recently acted for Meteor Group on its €100m acquisition of the majority state-owned beverages producer Badel 1862, in what was one of the few privatisation matters that have taken place in recent years.
‘Mojmir Ostermann is solution-oriented.‘
Connecting Europe Broadband Fund (CEBF)
- Acted for European glass processing company, Press Glass, on the refinancing of a €200m syndicated loan.
- Assisting Connecting Europe Broadband Fund with the establishment of an investment vehicle for an open-access network in rural areas of Croatia.
- Advised strategic investor, Meteor Group, on its €100m acquisition of Badel 1862, the largest and oldest wines and alcoholic beverages producer in Croatia.
At Schoenherr in cooperation with Croatian lawyers, the 'very responsive' Petra Šantić heads up the office's regulatory offering and takes the lead on the firm's work for domestic and international stakeholders engaged in the energy sector. Šantić is very knowledgeable about the nuances of the public procurement procedure in the country, and has recently secured several notable victories before the Croatian State Commission for Supervision of Public Procurement Procedures on behalf of failed bidders on tender processes.
‘The team has good knowledge of the public procurement regulations of Croatia and is able to handle tender protests efficiently.‘
‘Petra Šantić very quickly understood our situation and the associated legal issues. She was very responsive and provided sound and comprehensible feedback both orally and in writing.‘
Alstom Ferroviaria S.p.A. Podružnica Zagreb (ALSTOM TRANSPORT SA)
Pro Danube International
- Successfully represented Schwarzl in the appeal procedure before the Croatian State Commission for Supervision of Public Procurement Procedures regarding its participation in an open public procurement procedure of the City of Zagreb for supply of construction aggregate.
- Successfully represented Alstom in the appeal procedure before the Croatian State Commission for Supervision of Public Procurement Procedures regarding its participation in a public procurement procedure of the Croatian state-owned railway company for the award of a public works contract on sections of the railway.
- Representing Schwarzl in the appeal procedure before the Croatian State Commission for Supervision of Public Procurement Procedures regarding its participation in a public procurement procedure of the Croatian state-owned forest and woodland management company for supply of construction aggregate.