Leveraging the firm's overarching corporate and finance capabilities, in particular, Šavoric & Partners is well-versed at handling transactional work with a nexus to the energy sector. Banking and finance partner Mia Lazić is regularly involved in renewable energy-related financings and restructurings. In addition, she has expertise advising on privatisations within the sector, where she not only draws from her core transactional capabilities but also a strong grounding in the regulatory strictures which often underpin work in the space. Boris Šavorić is also a key member of the team and is able to provide corporate and M&A support to clients on privatisation mandates, as well as for bidders tendering for major infrastructure and energy projects in the country.
Privatisation, projects and energy in Croatia
Boris Šavorić; Mia Lazić; Lovro Gašparac
Other key lawyers:
Nina Radić Kuzik
- Advised MET Group on the amendment and restatement of a revolving credit facility, as well as the amendment of Croatian security documents.
- Advised ENNA Logic on the concession tender for the construction and operation of Zagreb Pier Deep Sea Container Terminal (ZCT) in the Port of Rijeka.
Benefiting from comprehensive energy-related regulatory knowledge and also leveraging the firm's market-leading M&A and finance credentials, Žurić i Partneri is well-positioned to advise international investors, construction and multinational energy companies in connection with the acquisition and sale of properties, project development, construction and financing. Formerly Assistant Minister for Privatisation and Industry at the Ministry of Economy, Duško Žurić is able to provide excellent insight to clients on privatisation mandates, and is also a key member of the team advising on energy matters (including as it relates to the development of greenfield renewable energy projects). Miroslav Plašćar co-heads the practice alongside Žurić and as well as handling the real estate aspects of energy projects, is also regularly engaged in project finance-related energy work.
Duško Žurić; Miroslav Plašćar
Other key lawyers:
Edin Karakaš; Marija Vuchetich
- Advising one of the biggest European energy companies on their entry into the Croatian market.
- Advising a large Croatian bank on the financing to facilitate the construction of a biomass-fired cogeneration plant.
- Issued a detailed legal opinion for a client addressing specific topics related to development of greenfield solar energy projects in Croatia.
Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)
Underpinned by an excellent knowledge of the regulatory framework, Bardek, Lisac, Mušec, Skoko in association with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH (Austria)'s multi-disciplinary offering, which knits together experts from across the firm's corporate, finance, tax and real estate practice groups, is well-positioned to advise myriad stakeholders involved in large-scale energy and infrastructure projects throughout the country. Team head Marija Mušec has particular expertise advising on public procurement matters relating to energy-efficient projects; she recently acted for the EBRD on the financing associated with the city of Split's modernisation of the public lighting system. Corporate partner Marija Zrno provides assistance to renewable energy companies in their efforts to enter the Croatian market, while banking and finance head Jelena Nushol regularly advises development banks on the financing of large infrastructure projects and has also recently handled debt financing work to facilitate energy-efficient projects.
Other key lawyers:
Jelena Nushol; Marija Zrno; Tamara Jelić Kazić; Mia Kanceljak
VSB Holding GmbH
The City of Split
- Assisting Aspect Energy on the second licensing round relating to the exploration and production of hydrocarbons in Croatia.
- Advising Swiss fund manager SUSI on the sustainable financing (through the private placement of bonds by the borrower) of a Croatian-based project of Resalta, a regional provider of energy services.
- Advising EBRD on the financing associated with the project in the city of Split to modernise its public lighting system.
Divjak Topic Bahtijarevic & Krka's multi-disciplinary team provides a 'professional and client-oriented' service to investors, developers and lenders on many of the most significant projects and energy-related matters in the country. Team head Emir Bahtijarević is able to parlay his overarching real estate knowledge to provide pivotal support to clients engaged in project finance mandates, including providing advice on relevant land use, environmental and title issues. Recognised as a 'wonderful deal-maker', Mario Krka is also a vital member of the team and regularly handles work for major renewable energy companies, including Akuo Energy, on their energy project developments in the country.
Other key lawyers:
Mario Krka; Marina Kovač Krka; Iva Crnogorac; Emil Cetina
‘The firm has a deep knowledge of the legal framework and provides a professional and client-oriented service.’
‘Mario Krka is a wonderful deal-maker.’
Globe Trade Centre
RWE Supply and Trading
- Advising long-term client Akuo Energy in relation to a complex refinancing for the construction of renewable energy plants.
- Representing EBRD on the financing in relation to the upgrade of water supply and pumping facilities in the Zagreb County.
- Advised a UK-based international investor on work related to several project developments on the Adriatic coast.
Hanzekovic & Partners
Hanzekovic & Partners is well-versed at handling utilities, transport and energy projects throughout Croatia for a varied array of stakeholders. Led by Jasminka Čorda Truhar, who benefits from an 'encyclopedic knowledge of FDIC-related contracts', the team is regularly involved in the negotiation and drafting of tender documentation and concession agreements, as well as handling any pursuant disputes which may arise. Truhar is representing the City of Zagreb on issues regarding the upgrade of the Central Wastewater Treatment Plant Zagreb, which was notable for being the first concession for a wastewater treatment plant in the country.
Jasminka Čorda Truhar
Other key lawyers:
Irina Jelčić; Tamara Lachowski; Melani Polinčić
‘Jasminka Čorda Truhar has encyclopedic knowledge of FDIC-related contracts.’
City of Zagreb
LNG CROATIA LLC
Hrvatske autoceste d.o.o.
Hrvatske ceste d.o.o.
- Advising the City of Zagreb on issues related to the upgrading of the Central Wastewater Treatment Plant Zagreb, which is notable for being the first concession for a wastewater treatment plant in Croatia.
- Advising LNG CROATIA on drafting the tender documentation and evaluation, drafting FIDIC documents, as well as the negotiations and consulting services during the contract execution, in relation to development of LNG Import Terminal Project on the Island of Krk.
Led by the 'very approachable and solutions-oriented' Ivana Manovelo, Macesic & Partners LLC continues to pick up a considerable amount of work within the energy sector, both on conventional (including for upstream and downstream oil companies) and renewables-related projects. Leveraging the firm's longstanding shipping heritage, the team has also recently handled work for international companies bidding for concessions within the maritime transportation market (which has begun to liberalise under the influence of EU regulations).
‘Ivana Manovelo is very approachable and solutions-oriented.’
Caronte & Tourist Isole Minori S.p.A.
Raiffeisen Consulting Ltd
Maersk Line A/S
Callis Energetika Zrt.
White Falcon Petroleum Technologies AG
At the vanguard of the country's renewable energy sector, Madirazza & Partners has gained significant market intel and regulatory knowledge as a result of its work for wind farm and biomass investors on the greenfield development of new plants, as well as acquisitions of existing projects. Managing partner Josip Madirazza has been pivotal to the firm's success in the space and has taken the lead on many financing mandates throughout the development lifecycle, on both the lender and operator side, including his continued work for wpd Europe, on the development of numerous wind farm projects in Croatia. Morana Herak co-heads, alongside Madirazza, the team that also includes senior associate Marinka Kovačić, who has a focus on financing and M&A in the energy sector.
Josip Madirazza; Morana Herak
Other key lawyers:
‘The responsive team provides a pragmatic and problem-solving approach.’
wpd europe GmbH
RP GLOBAL DANILO
MET Croatia Energy Trade Ltd.
PROFESSIO ENERGIA d.d.
- Advising wpd europe on a joint venture project in relation to the development of a wind farm in Krmpote near Novi Vinodolski, Croatia.
- Advised DALEKOVOD PROFESSIO (an SPV for holding the shares in the companies operating in the renewables energy sector) on the listing of its shares on the Zagreb Stock Exchange.
- Assisting members of the RP Global Group to secure the prolongation of easement and other land registry rights for the purposes of re-powering two operational wind farms.
Led by Natalija Perić, and also drawing from the expertise of M&A and real estate practitioners within the firm, Mamić Perić Reberski Rimac Law Firm LLC has 'deep knowledge and experience' advising domestic and international clients on the development of facilities for the production of renewable energy sources.
Other key lawyers:
Vladimir Mamić; Martina Strukić Šarić; Nikola Kokot; Marko Martinković; Inja Štajduhar
‘The team has deep knowledge, experience and efficiency.’
Unit Investment N.V. & Uni Viridas d.o.o. (Unit Group)
HOPS (HEP Group member)
- Continued to advise Greece-based international investment fund Bluehouse on a number of projects including the €10m sale of two public garages in Rijeka to a Croatian subsidiary of multinational company Best In Parking.
- Continues to provide day-to-day support to HEP Group member HOPS, a Croatian transmission system operator company. Work includes advising HOPS on the process of preparing contractual documentation for the construction of a transmission system to connect several big islands with the coast.
- Advising Slovenian company Calcit Group on regulatory and real estate matters associated with its €15m project for the development of a calcium carbonate fillers, granulates and sand production factory in Lika.
Energy-related work is one of the cornerstones of Marohnic, Tomek & Gjoic, Law Firm's offering in the country, chiefly as a result of 'hardworking and talented' founding partner Josip Marohnić's 'exceptional industry knowledge'. This high level of industry knowledge manifests itself not only in transactional work, which has recently included advice to municipal authorities on numerous ESIF-funded public utilities and infrastructure projects, but also in relation to advice to the Croatian government on drafting and amending legislation relevant to the energy sector.
‘The hardworking and talented Josip Marohnic has exceptional industry knowledge.’
Ministry of Environmental Protection and Energy
Croatian Hydrocarbons Agency
Green Building Council Croatia
Rigi Real Estate AG
CONTROL PROCESS SPÓŁKA AKCYJNA
- Advising GÉANT, a consortium partner of CERN, on the ground-breaking pan-European public procurement project of cloud services for the entire European research community.
- Representing the municipal waste authority, KODOS, on the development of an integrated solid waste management plant.
- Representing the municipal water authority on the development of one of the largest wastewater treatment plants, financed by ESIF funds.
Led by Boris Porobija and Zeljka Rostas Blazekovic, who collectively have vast overarching M&A, finance, real estate and litigation experience, Porobija & Porobija has a strong track record advising lenders and sponsors engaged in major construction, energy and infrastructure matters throughout the country. Project finance work is a particular strength and the firm continues to advise lenders on the refinancing of existing debt and the provision of new credit facilities to enable the extension of the Istrian Y motorway, linking the Istrian region with the rest of Croatia.
Boris Porobija; Željka Rostaš Blažeković
UniCredit, Zagrebačka banka d.d. and BancaIMI
International Zagreb Airport
- Advising lenders on, inter alia, project development and construction matters related to Phase 2B2-1 of Istrian Epsilon Motorway (doubling of Tunnel Učka).
- Advised the concessionaire on the project development of International Zagreb Airport.
Wolf Theiss - Zagreb branch's multi-disciplinary team is well-versed at advising stakeholders across the spectrum of infrastructure projects, within the transportation and energy sectors in particular. Team head Saša Jovičić is noted for his public procurement expertise and has successfully advised bidders on concessions within the energy and transportation sectors. In addition, Jovičić has the contentious credentials to be able to assist failed bidders seeking to challenge concession award decisions, including his ongoing work for the Turkish-Italian consortium of bidders in the appeal proceedings against the tender award decision for the construction of the Pelješac bridge.
Other key lawyers:
IC İçtaş İnşaat Sanayi ve Ticaret
Global Ports Holding
International Container Terminal Services
- Advising the European Commission in relation to the New Energy Solutions Optimised for Islands (NESOI) project, which is aimed at supporting energy transition on islands of EU member states.
- Successfully advised Vermilion Energy on its participation in Round I of a tender for onshore oil and gas concessions in Croatia and is currently advising in Round II. The firm is assisting Vermilion in putting together its bid package for submission to the government and advising it on the negotiation of the production sharing agreement.
- Advising the Turkish-Italian consortium of bidders, consisting of the construction companies Ictas and Astaldi, in the appeal proceedings against the tender award decision for the construction of the Pelješac bridge.
The 'very responsive and knowledgeable' three-partner team at Gajski, Grlic, Prka & Partners is appreciated by bidders for its 'proactive approach' on public procurement matters. The 'knowledgeable and business-focused' Elias Ernst is recommended and is 'capable of handling any public procurement procedure, regardless of its complexity'.
Elias Ernst; Tamara Obradović Mazal; Mladen Prka
‘The team is very responsive and knowledgeable regarding public procurement procedures.’
‘Elias Ernst is knowledgeable, efficient and business-focused. He has a high level of attention to detail which is critical in public procurement procedures and is very well informed of the Commission’s case law. He also knows the market and is capable of handling any public procurement procedure, regardless of its complexity.’
‘Tamara Obradović Mazal combines her academic and research background with a practical solution-finding approach which, to our favour, has won many battles on our behalf; a quality rarely seen.’
SGM INFORMATIKA LLC
- Regularly provides legal counselling and representation to SGM INFORMATIKA LLC, both in preparation of tender documentation, tender bid and appeals procedures.
- Regularly providing legal counselling and representation to SOFTLINE LLC, both in preparation of tender documentation, tender bid and appeals procedures.
Led by the 'timely and responsive' Petra Šantić, Schoenherr in cooperation with Croatian lawyers' regulatory team has a focus on energy and infrastructure matters, and is aided on transactional work in those sectors by corporate, banking, real estate and competition law experts at the firm. As well as her energy-related regulatory prowess, Šantić also regularly advises bidders on public procurement procedures.
‘The team provides quick and timely responses, and is able to rely on the network/legal partners in neighbouring Balkan countries.’
‘Petra Santic provides timely and responsive advice.’
Alstom Ferroviaria S.p.A. Podružnica Zagreb (ALSTOM TRANSPORT SA)
Pro Danube International
- Advised Schwarzl (part of the PORR Group) regarding its participation in an open public procurement procedure for the supply of construction aggregate (a total of three tender lots with a project value of approx. €9.9m).
- Advising EPCG on a joint venture with Austrian Ivicom relating to the development of a 50MW wind power project.
- Advising Schwarzl (part of the PORR Group) regarding its participation in an open public procurement procedure for the supply of construction aggregate (with project value of approx. €2.6m).