The dedicated TMT practice at Brigard Urrutia is commended by satisfied clients as ‘the strongest in this area’. Packing a punch across all key pillars of technology, media and telecoms, the group stands out for its ability to advise on a comprehensive spread of transactional, regulatory and contentious matters. Particularly sought after by major global corporations — Meta Platforms, Microsoft and SpaceX all turn to the firm for local advice — it also represents domestic and regional heavyweights, such as Grupo Televisa. Department head and sector specialist Sergio Michelsen Jaramillo provides ‘a perspective far beyond what is strictly legal’. The group also includes highly regarded practice director Juan Nicolás Laverde. Senior associate Andrea Bonnet became a freelance lawyer in December 2022.
TMT in Colombia
Sergio Michelsen; Juan Nicolás Laverde
‘The lawyers are excellent; they know our company and the industry, and help us to handle both business and regulatory issues. The team is the strongest in this area in my opinion.’
‘Sergio Michelsen is a lawyer who is a strategic partner for us, and gives us a perspective far beyond what is strictly legal.’
‘The legal advice provided by the team is of a very high quality, and most importantly, within the terms required by the industry. It knows our business and therefore understands our needs and the times we manage. The advice is concrete and goes directly to solving the issue of the query, clearly.’
‘Juan Nicolás Laverde is an excellent lawyer and human being. He is always up-to-date on applicable regulations and has a comprehensive knowledge of our business, which allows quick co-ordination with our team in response to our queries. Juan Nicolás and his team send short emails, with clear answers.’
‘It is a team that is fully willing to be part of the company. It understands the business and looks for ways to provide solutions within the parameters of the law. It fields people who are highly trained in the subject, which leads to interesting legal conversations that allow clear answers to concise problems.’
‘The team manager is directly available when needed. The team is highly trained and it is fully willing to understand the business more and more in order to provide a better service.’
‘Juan Nicolás Laverde and associates Andrea Bonnet and Juan Manuel Pacheco have a great capacity to solve any situation and they make every effort to be shoulder-to-shoulder with us as a client.’
Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX)
TIS Productions Colombia
Grupo Televisa and Univisión Holdings II
Intelsat Global Service Corp
- Advised Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) on the relevant telecoms regulatory requirements and standards to enter the Colombian market.
- Represented Meta Platforms in a public hearing about zero-rating held before the Colombian Constitutional Court.
- Advised TIS Productions Colombia on various matters, including contracts with talent, vendors, locations, and crew; legal clearances for designs proposed by the production team; and licensing of music and footage for film use.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
The TMT practice at Baker McKenzie S.A.S. is recognised for its expertise in regulatory and compliance matters concerning telecoms, the digital economy and data protection law. The team is particularly praised for its robust industry knowledge, with sources asserting that partners ‘seek to understand the business of the client and its procedures’. Names to note include department head and regulatory specialist Carolina Pardo, who has a strong focus on IT and privacy matters, as well as senior associate Angelica Navarro Acevedo, who — like Pardo — specialises in competition and TMT law.
‘In addition possessing extensive knowledge on the subject, partners seek to understand the business of the client and its procedures. Lawyers always respond within the agreed period (and I always try to organise demands within a reasonable period of time), and they are strategic.’
Telefonica Global Solutions
Rackspace Technology Group
Sony Interamerican, sucursal Colombia
47 Degrees Group
- Advised Sprint Corporation on Colombian telecoms regulation in order to navigate the legal requirements for the provision of new telecoms services in Colombia.
- Represented AT&T in regulatory audits with Colombian authorities and in preparing arguments regarding the structure of the service company, including website blocking, and lawful interception and monitoring, among other matters.
- Advised Motorola on data protection governance that fulfils the requirements of Colombian data protection laws but that allows the company to maintain a global approach.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero’s TMT practice receives strong praise for its ‘innovative and disruptive spirit in building legal solutions in a dynamic and challenging industry’. The group has extensive expertise in regulatory and contentious matters relating to the technology, media and telecoms fields; with its reputation in the former segment particularly prominent due to its relationships with Google and several dominant e-commerce platforms. Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla is a former chairman of the telecoms regulator and heads a team that includes talented senior associate María Camila Piedrahita. The group was significantly strengthened in July 2023 with the hire of former practice co-head Carlos Andrés Sánchez and senior associate Gigliana Rivero Ramirez (both from Durán & Osorio Abogados Asociados), with the latter arriving as associate director for infrastructure & projects, telecommunications and public procurement. Since research concluded, Piedrahita has left the firm - effective as of August 2023.
‘The team fields experts in technology matters, with whom we have worked on different e-commerce and fintech projects. I highlight the team’s versatility to understand and attend to client queries and requirements, with an innovative and disruptive spirit in building legal solutions in a dynamic and challenging industry.’
‘It is a proactive team that seeks to understand the business to provide adequate legal advice.’
‘We recommend the team for the personal and professional integrity of its lawyers; its disposition and personalised attention; and the quality of its opinions and deliverables. I would particularly highlight Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla.’
‘It is recognised as a strong practice in TMT. Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla and senior associate María Camila Piedrahita stand out for their excellent knowledge and service.’
‘An expert team in information technology, intellectual property and new technologies.’
‘We value lawyers for their availability, understanding of the industry and business-oriented approach. We recommend Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla, partner in the TMT and Competition & Trade practices.’
Andean Towers Colombia
Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
Laboratorios Servier de Colombia
- Represented Google in litigation regarding data protection laws before the Data Protection Authority and local courts.
- Advised Fox Telecolombia on three MTV-branded TV show productions, produced in Colombia jointly with ViacomCBS.
- Advised Andean Towers Colombia on day-to-day matters, including reviewing contracts and assisting in negotiations with other telecoms providers.
Noted for its ‘personalised attention’, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) houses a robust TMT group that is composed of multidisciplinary regulatory specialists. The team is primarily active in data protection, information security, cybersecurity and commercial issues; while it also benefits from the ability to lean on other departments from across the full-service firm to handle corporate transactions. Practice director Andrés Fernández De Castro is a recognised expert in technology, telecoms, and data protection regulation. The group also draws on IP, competition, and TMT partner Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano and intermediate associate Andrés Meza.
Andrés Fernández de Castro; Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano
‘The attention, service and response times to address legal queries are very good. There is a strong collaboration between the legal teams in the different areas.’
‘We appreciate the team’s personalised attention.’
China Three Gorges Corporation (CTG Colombia)
Novell Nola Software (Microfocus)
Industria Colombiana de Llantas (Icollantas) / Michelin
Huawei Technologies Colombia
Samsung Electronics Colombia
Didi Chuxing Technology
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co / Onnet Fibra Colombia
- Advised PayU Colombia on various matters, including IT law, e-signature, and data privacy issues.
- Advised China Three Gorges Corporation (CTG Colombia) on information security and data privacy matters.
- Advised Novell Nola Software (doing business as Microfocus) on general TMT matters, data analytics and data protection and information policies.
Highlighted for its ‘extensive experience in the media industry, particularly audio-visual media’, BBGS Abogados stands out for its television and digital media practice, where it represents major TV and streaming companies such as Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television International. The team also frequently advises on advertising and promotions, software rights and data protection law. The department is led jointly by media and entertainment specialists Luis Felipe Barrios and Myriam Montenegro, together with IP partner Felipe Rubio. At associate level, Laura Arboleda and Clara Sabogal provide strong support.
Luis Felipe Barrios; Myriam Montenegro; Felipe Rubio
‘The firm has extensive experience in the media industry, particularly audio-visual media. Because they also have a very strong intellectual property practice, they provide comprehensive advice when it comes to content.’
‘Lawyers stand out for their experience and for providing comprehensive advice that takes into account other relevant aspects of the business, not just the legal one. We highlight outstanding partners Luis Felipe Barrios and Myriam Montenegro and associate Laura Arboleda.’
‘The team provides truly personalised attention in each case.‘
Sony Pictures Television International
Samsung Electronics Colombia
Abbott Laboratories De Colombia
Corporación Red Verde
Dago Garcia Producciones
Axn Colombia Networks
- Advised DirtyKitchen on its collaboration with Goldfish for an innovative project in the digital advertising market.
- Advised Teleset and Sony Pictures Television International on all legal matters regarding the pre-production, production and post-production of the audio-visual projects they develop and produce.
- Advised Amazon Studios on various matters concerning the pre-production, production and post-production stages of the TV series, Cochina Envidia.
Bermúdez & Esguerra Abogados
The team at Bermúdez & Esguerra Abogados stands ‘at the forefront of the most important issues in the area’, according to sources. The firm, which was established in 2022 through the tie-up between legacy firms Avante Abogados and Bermúdez Durana Abogados, is primarily recognised for its strong offering in regulatory matters, particularly data protection law. A former Delegate Superintendent of Personal Data Protection at the SIC, José Alejandro Bermudez stands out for his impressive regulatory credentials. Competition specialist Carlos Esguerra is also noted for data protection law.
José Alejandro Bermudez; Carlos Esguerra
‘The team is at the forefront of the most important issues in the area. Its response is very agile, the strong availability of partners and associates is one of the firm’s biggest differentials. We value the team’s knowledge, availability, attention to detail, and good attitude.’
‘Great experience in the administrative, commercial and corporate field that helps to make timely decisions. What started as a boutique studio is today a well-known and respected firm and the results speak for themselves.’
‘José Alejandro Bermudez was the first head of the Colombian data protection authority (the SIC), and this hands-on experience and knowledge is unique and generally not found anywhere.’
Leveraging its firm-wide strength in public law and projects, the practice at Durán & Osorio Abogados Asociados has a marked focus on advising TMT clients on regulatory issues and public contracts. The group -led by Álvaro Mauricio Durán Leal, who is recommended for infrastructure-related matters, including telecoms and technology-related procurement-is also equipped to advise on product development, data protection and dispute resolution. However, former practice co-head Carlos Andrés Sánchez and specialist senior associate Gigliana Rivero Ramirez left the firm in July 2023.
Álvaro Mauricio Durán Leal; Carlos Andrés Sánchez
‘Excellent lawyers in public procurement and public law in general. Direct communication with partners and full availability in emergencies.’
‘London-based Carlos Andrés Sánchez has extensive knowledge and experience. Also provides practical solutions and is business-oriented. Carlos is always available to help us when we need it and provides clear, precise legal analysis within the time required.’
‘A great firm with innovative solutions, I worked with the team when I was in Colombia. It is very knowledgeable in this subject, and the partner’s attention is impeccable. I particularly highlight Carlos Andrés Sánchez in London.’
Hughes Network Systems – EchoStar Corporation
Hughes de Colombia
Agencia de Educación Superior, Ciencia y Tecnología (Agency for Higher Education, Science and Technology)
Servicio Geológico Colombiano (SGC)
- Advising Microsoft on several matters related to regulation and public contracts, including on the execution of contracts with public entities for the implementation of solutions involving software licensing and cloud services.
- Advising the Agency for Higher Education, Science and Technology on the structuring of the science, technology and innovation project to develop Bogota’s Vaccine Production Technological Development Centre.
- Advising the Colombian Geological Survey (SGC) on the structuring of the Centre of Excellence in Earth Sciences project.
ECIJA Colombia’s group ‘proposes innovative solutions’, according to sources. With solid offerings in media and entertainment, telecoms, and internet and e-commerce (including fintech), the team is arguably best known for its relationships with film and television production companies, including CMO Producciones, MediaPro and Dynamo Producciones. Regulatory specialist Pablo Márquez is noted for his broad practice, which spans competition, telecoms regulation and internet governance; he co-heads the team alongside IP and audio-vision partner Patricia Renjifo. The group also draws on litigator Julio Castañeda and senior associate Paula Gutiérrez de Piñeres.
Pablo Márquez; Patricia Renjifo
‘We recommend the firm for its willingness and timely responses to the requirements made by our company.’
‘The team is comprised of experts in technology regulatory advice, particularly on issues such as 5G and advisory cases to deal with consumer and competition-related matters.’
‘The Ecija team is always available for our requirements, has extensive experience in the issues, prepares meetings rigorously and in advance, and very importantly, proposes innovative solutions in procedures and in obtaining information.’
‘Pablo Márquez has extensive experience, and combines it in the best way with his analytical skills, so that he makes it easy to see the complex in his recommendations. Julio Castañeda masters the procedures and his knowledge saves the clients’ time.’
Samsung Electronics Colombia
- Advising Mercado Libre on e-commerce regulation, consumer law and privacy law, among other issues.
- Advising Airbnb on regulatory matters and on the impact of such regulation (and other public policies in the TMT area), on its business model in Colombia.
- Advising Dynamo Producciones on all contractual matters, including on the production of Brotherhood, produced by Dynamo Producciones and Mandarin for Amazon Prime Video.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.’s premier IP offering is reflected in its TMT practice, as demonstrated by its recent activity in representing life sciences companies on data protection and privacy laws. The group also has a prominent record in advising telecoms entities on regulatory matters, with Claro Colombia a key client in this sphere. Litigator Gustavo Tamayo, who leads the Claro work, co-heads the department alongside senior associate Juan Manuel Ojeda, who joined in April 2022 from Claro Colombia. Associate director of the privacy and data protection practice, María Alejandra De Los Ríos, is also recommended. Tatiana Carrillo left to become a solo practitioner in May 2022.
Gustavo Tamayo; Juan Ojeda
‘The TMT practice stands out for the vast experience of its team, especially María Alejandra De Los Ríos. Working with María Alejandra is always a pleasure given her high level of technical knowledge and understanding of the clients’ business, which allows the implementation of processes without being traumatic for the business.’
‘Regarding the team, I especially emphasise that it is oriented to its clients’ business and, given its extensive experience, it easily understands its clients’ pain points. I also highlight the client-oriented approach of María Alejandra De Los Ríos and her team.’
‘The team transmits a deep tranquillity when dealing with any matter. In addition, its response times are always very reasonable and aligned with the needs of the operation.’
‘Lawyers are highly professional, focused, orderly, efficient and with a sense of urgency. They also stand out for the practical orientation of their advice; that is, they are always focused on solving the challenge posed.’
Telesat Canada (and its local affiliate Anik Colombia)
Corteva Agriscience de Colombia
Speedcast sucursal Colombia
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Advising Speedcast (Colombia branch) on regulations applicable to satellite capacity providers.
- Advising Corteva Agriscience Colombia on negotiating agreements with various platforms for the collection of personal data, and on the compliance of its CRM and other tools with data protection regulations in Colombia.
- Representing Comcel (Claro Colombia) in litigation seeking nullity of Resolutions 6093 and 6127 of 2020, issued by the Communications Regulation Commission.
Distinguished by its ‘outstanding legal knowledge’, Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos’ is recommended for its longstanding involvement in telecoms issues. In particular, it stands out for its extensive experience in representing both public entities — including regulatory and legislative bodies — and communications companies in regulatory and contentious matters. Competition and telecoms partner Alfonso Miranda Londoño co-heads the group together with Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos, who has a focus on competition and heavily regulated industries. Competition-focused associate Liliana Runcería Rodríguez also has a significant telecoms dimension to her practice. Since publication, the firm has merged with tax specialist firm Jiménez, Higuita, Rodríguez & Asociados (Tax & customs) to become Esguerra JHR - effective as of February 2024.
Alfonso Miranda Londoño; Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos
‘Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos is an excellent law firm. It is the perfect combination of tradition and innovation. We have been with Esguerra for 10 years and we continue to engage the team.’
‘We appreciate lawyers for their personal service and outstanding legal knowledge; Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos in particular provides this to us.’
AXESS Networks Solutions Colombia
Comunicación Celular (Comcel)
- Advising AXESS Networks Solutions on all legal matters, especially regulatory compliance.
- Advising Promigas on the design and implementation of the Brilla mobile application, through which customers can acquire non-bank financing to purchase products or services from Brilla’s commercial allies online.
- Advising Mind Selecta on the implementation of the commercial relationship with its largest multinational client, including data protection matters.
TMT work is a mainstay at boutique firm Gómez Consultores, which specialises in providing multidisciplinary support to media, telecoms, financial services and e-commerce clients. The practice is active across the full life cycle of matters, from regulatory issues through to contract structuring and dispute resolution, with significant experience in government contracts. Founding partner Juan Carlos Gómez specialises in telecoms law and co-heads the department together with Juan Sebastián Gómez Castro, who advises on a range of media, telecoms, and technology work. Associate Juanita Fernández Gómez provides support.
Juan Carlos Gómez; Juan Sebastián Gómez Castro
A dominant player in the advertising and marketing space, Márquez-Robledo has an impressive record in the licensing of advertising rights across the music, television, fashion, media, and entertainment sectors. Significantly, the group acts for a significant proportion of worldwide advertisement agencies doing work in Colombia, including Omnicom, Sancho BBDO and McCann Erickson. Firm founder Santiago Márquez Robledo handles a range of IP and media law and co-heads the group alongside associate María Alejandra Ahumada, who specialises in IP, media, and entertainment. In May 2022, senior associate Andrés Monroy left for Cuesta Lawyers.
Santiago Márquez Robledo; María Alejandra Ahumada
‘They are very connected to each other, with a very high response speed. They know the entertainment industry very well.‘
‘They differ in that they don’t just think like lawyers, they think like entrepreneurs and in terms of the clients’ businesses.‘
10 Music Colombia
Lyric Acquisition I
- Advised Omnicom Media Group and Renault on the negotiation of the sponsorship agreement for the event “Star Wars A New Hope In Concert”, entered into by advertising agency, Omnicom Media Group, the sponsor, Renault, and the producer of the event, Sueño Estéreo.
- Advised Bancolombia on the contracts for the development of the marketing campaign “Balones Coleccionables Bancolombia” involving five of the most renowned Colombian soccer players.
- Advised 10 Music Colombia on several contracts for the provision of artistic services, work for hire and the recording of masters, between 10 Music Colombia (acting on behalf of beverage company Bavaria), and renowned musicians for Budweiser’s advertising campaign “BudX”.
Posse Herrera Ruiz’s interdisciplinary TMT offering routinely acts alongside teams from across the full-service firm to advise TMT clients on a range of transactional, regulatory and contentious matters. The department is co-led by real estate head Andrés Montoya, whose infrastructure practice lends itself well to involvement in telecoms projects; together with competition partner Jorge de los Ríos, who handles data protection and regulatory matters. Other key contacts include IP and digital law partner Ernesto Cavelier, and associate Laura Torrado, who is noted for data protection.
Andrés Montoya; Jorge de los Rios
‘The key aspects of the team, which we consider valuable in its role as legal advisor, are its good commercial management with clients, the search for efficient solutions that adapt to the needs of the parties, and knowledge of the regulations applicable to the sector.’
UNE EPM Telecomunicaciones
Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Bogota
Liberty Latin America
Phoenix Tower International
Playtech Software Services
- Advised Phoenix Tower International on the regulatory aspects of its acquisition of 2138 telecoms towers in Colombia.
- Advised Meta on the security measures that a controller of personal data must adopt to protect the data subject’s information.
- Advised Audatex on the revision of software licensing contracts with insurance companies in Colombia.
The TMT team at Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas is closely aligned with its IP offering, while it also demonstrates strong skill sets in data protection and privacy issues. Luz Helena Adarve heads both the IP and technology, and the privacy and cybersecurity practices, and has extensive experience in data protection and data management. Juanita Acosta is also a key contact for data protection; notably, she is the regional leader of the firm’s Latin America TMT group. Senior associate Rocío Ruíz provides support.
Luz Helena Adarve; Juanita Acosta
Newell Brands de Colombia
Aerovías Del Continente Americano (Avianca)
Club El Country de Bogotá
- Avised Colombian start-up Tul on the implementation of an integral programme for personal data management, which included an in-depth analysis of its activities and processes.
- Advised Ford Motor Colombia on local consumer protection regulation and specific warranty matters regarding the launch of a special series of vehicles, where the vehicles were connected through an app.
- Advised Club El Country de Bogotá on reviewing the binding letter for the naming rights of the PGA golf championship, “Korn Ferry” in Bogotá, especially for analysing the legal impact of the entrance of a new sponsor to the tournament.
DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán has experience in advising technology, media and telecoms clients on transactions, regulatory issues and data protection law. IP and data protection partner María Claudia Martínez heads the department and is well versed in advising corporations on privacy matters, including administrative investigations before the Data Protection Authority. The team also includes senior associate Natalia Fernández, who provides support on a mix of competition, data protection and consumer law matters.
María Claudia Martínez
‘The team is focused on client needs and makes the effort to understand the client’s business to deliver the job.’
‘María Claudia Martínez and compliance associate Felipe Rodríguez are the people with whom I had the most contact; they always showed a great knowledge about the legal aspects and they are up-to-date with life sciences matters.’
Ola Financial Technologies
Advent International Colombia
- Advising Amazon on assessing the compliance request necessary to commercialise products produced in Colombia.
- Advising Viasat on the use of the radio spectrum associated with satellite telecoms services.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría’s multidisciplinary practice is highly active in representing technology and media companies in transactional and regulatory matters. The group also advises clients from a diverse range of industry sectors on data privacy and consumer protection-related issues. The team is led jointly by corporate heavyweight Martín Acero; competition and TMT partner Diego Cardona; and IP and regulatory specialist Mauricio Patiño.
Martín Acero; Diego Cardona; Mauricio Patiño
‘The team has extensive expertise in the area, not only from the perspective of an external advisor, but also with the experience that the team brings from having worked in the public sector that regulates TMT.’
‘We value the team for the availability and sensitivity with which they deal with issues.’
Nokia Solutions and Networks Colombia
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena (SPRC)
Cardenas Marketing Network
- Representing Goldman Sachs, as lender, in the financing of one of the largest Colombian fintechs.
- Acting for Visa in an ongoing preliminary investigation by the Colombian Competition Authority relating to the market for payment systems in cross-border transactions.
- Advising Nokia Solutions and Networks Colombia on various aspects of its operations in Colombia, including data protection and regulatory matters.
Vanegas Morales Consultores
Privacy and data protection boutique Vanegas Morales Consultores is ‘an expert the field’, according to sources. The firm’s dedicated practice focus pays dividends in an impressively broad client list, which counts financial institutions, fin-techs, airlines, and construction companies among its ranks. Standing out for its expertise across a wide scope of data protection matters, the team advises on matters ranging from the implementation of internal policies, through to data-breach response. Stella Vanegas co-heads the department alongside Paris-based Ángela Noguera; they are highlighted together for their ‘vast knowledge of personal data’.
Stella Vanegas; Ángela Noguera
‘Being a boutique firm, it differs from others due to its experience and the quality of its advice in the areas of privacy and protection of personal data. Additionally, I highlight its availability and closeness; we always have direct contact with the partner, which gives us peace of mind.’
‘Lawyers are distinguished by their extensive knowledge of the subject, they always search for alternatives in favour of the business. The constant contact with Stella Vanegas and Ángela Noguera gives us the necessary confidence to deliver our most innovative projects, always finding a timely and practical response.’
‘Vanegas Morales advises us on protection of personal data. The team is an expert in the field and is constantly training and updating to support clients in their projects and in the use of new technologies. We work with this office because we value their experience and knowledge.’
Adelante Soluciones Financieras (ADDI)
Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Prevención de Fraude (INIF)
O Boticário Colombia
Colmédica Medicina Prepagada
Mazda de Colombia
Asociación Colombiana de Endocrinología
Grupo XXI Tecnología Para el Siglo
Constructora Bolivar Cali
Gases del Caribe
Investigaciones y Cobranzas el Libertador
- Advised INIF (the National Institute for Fraud Investigation and Prevention) on the identification of operational risks in data protection regarding its products and services.
- Advised Bold.Co on the establishment of a comprehensive data protection programme.
- Provided periodical training sessions to Adelante Soluciones Financieras’ team, tailored to the needs of each area, including marketing, fraud and customer experience.