Widely acknowledged as a market leader for TMT law in Colombia, Brigard Urrutia scores highly for its intrinsic understanding that ‘industry dynamics require quick, concrete and concise answers, not endless memorandums‘. The group excels across the full spread of technology, media and entertainment law, and is routinely engaged by leading national, regional and global clients to advise on strategic regulatory matters and major transactions. Department head Sergio Michelsen Jaramillo is a go-to specialist in the field and recently advised SpaceX on its entrance into the Colombian market. Key support is provided by practice director Juan Nicolás Laverde, who is ‘always available and clear in his answers‘; and senior associate Andrea Bonnet, whose practice spans IP, technology, data protection and telecoms.
TMT in Colombia
‘The TMT team at Brigard & Urrutia has been advising us for many years and they know our business very well. They understand that industry dynamics require quick, concrete and concise answers, not endless memorandums with the details of all the theoretical parts.’
‘Lawyers respond directly to the queries we make in order to make important decisions for the business. Some time ago, the firm sent regulatory bulletins that were very useful in keeping us updated, and they also offer talks on different topics that are of interest to us.’
‘Director Juan Nicolás Laverde is business-friendly and always looks for ways to advise us taking into account the needs and objectives of the business, without failing to highlight the legal risks when they exist. He is easily accessible, always available and clear in his answers. His knowledge of the business makes him stand out from the competition.’
Hughes Network Systems
Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX)
The Swatch Group
- Advised Space Exploration Technologies on the relevant telecoms regulatory requirements and standards to enter the Colombian market.
- Acted for AT&T on the sale of its Vrio Corp business unit to Grupo Werthein.
- Advised D-Wave Systems on all its portfolio services, including a deep analysis of the legal challenges concerning its entry into the Colombian market and the provision of its services in Colombia.
Durán & Osorio Abogados Asociados
A regulatory powerhouse for TMT matters, Durán & Osorio Abogados Asociados is a popular choice to advise major telecoms, media, TV and technology companies on regulations, product development, data protection and contentious issues. The two-partner team is co-led by London-based Carlos Andrés Sánchez García, who provides ongoing advice to Microsoft, Hughes Network Systems and Palantir Technologies on regulatory matters, together with Álvaro Mauricio Durán Leal, whose infrastructure expertise lends itself to involvement in strategic telecoms and technology projects of national significance. Additionally, senior associate Gigliana Rivero Ramirez is recommended for her focus on communications, public law and infrastructure.
Carlos Andrés Sánchez García; Álvaro Mauricio Durán Leal; Gigliana Rivero Ramírez
‘We recommend the firm for the availability of its partners; we always have direct contact with the partner.’
‘The team is comprised of very experienced and knowledgeable attorneys.’
Hughes Network Systems / EchoStar Corporation
- Advised Palantir Technologies on technology law, data protection, software licencing matters and public procurement.
- Advised EchoStar on the registry of EchoStar XXIV before the Colombian government.
- Advised Microsoft Colombia on matters regarding technology industry regulation.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
‘A pioneer in digital services', according to some, Baker McKenzie S.A.S. stands out for its skill sets in data protection, telecoms, consumer protection, e-commerce and contracts. The group is further distinguished by its ability to plug into the wider firm’s renowned global TMT practice to provide multi-jurisdictional advice to domestic and international clients. Competition law specialist Carolina Pardo leads the department and is recognised for her strength in IT and privacy matters. Senior associate Angelica Navarro Acevedo also handles competition and TMT law.
‘Baker McKenzie’s TMT team has successfully managed and structured large transactions and/or operations. The firm is a pioneer in digital services and its clients are important industry players, who engage the team because of the level of service that it undoubtedly offers.’
‘We recommend the firm for its attention to detail and its holistic vision of the different problems that are presented by the client.’
‘Lawyers stand out for their practicality and speed of response.’
‘Carolina Pardo has vast experience in the digital services sector. She represents important female leadership at Baker McKenzie and stands out for her professionalism, knowledge of the environment and vast experience in the field.’
Telefonica Global Solutions
Phoenix Towers International
- Advised FedEx on the use in Colombia of an environmental and location-monitoring device designed to operate within packages and containers in the transportation network.
- Counselled Sprint Corporation on Colombian telecoms regulation in order to navigate the legal requirements for the provision of new telecoms services in Colombia.
- Assisted Airbnb with the review of its business structure in Colombia (and the wider region), and also advised it on an analysis of the relevant regulatory frameworks.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero's TMT team finds favour for its ‘good synchrony and communication', which ensures that ‘all issues are handled seamlessly', according to sources. The group is well versed in all key pillars of the technology, media and telecoms spheres, with particular expertise in regulatory, commercial and litigious work. Department head Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla handles both contentious and non-contentious matters relating to data protection, technology, media, e-commerce, cybersecurity and telecoms, among other areas. Senior associate María Camila Piedrahita provides capable support.
‘The firm’s ability to train new lawyers in such a specialised sector is unique. I positively highlight the rigour of the lawyers, their great capacity for analysis, their ability to pay attention to forms and substance and their ability to adapt to requests for public policies, abandoning the rigidity of legal services.’
‘The team is excellent. There are lawyers specialised in each of the matters that my company needs. In addition, the good synchrony and communication within the TMT team ensures that all issues are handled seamlessly.’
‘Lawyers are personally committed to the success of the team, which is evident because each one takes the handling of issues seriously and is very responsive and responsible to the client for their work and for the work of the team.’
‘Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla is absolutely committed to his clients, and he transmits this commitment to all the lawyers in his team. In addition, on a personal level, each of the lawyers is a wonderful person: kind, cordial and ethical.’
Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB)
- Representing Google in one of the biggest cases in Colombia related to data protection matters, including recently filing a suit against the Data Protection Authority before the Council of State.
- Advising Fox Telecolombia on two MTV-branded TV show productions, produced in Colombia jointly with ViacomCBS: Ex on the Beach and Acapulco Shore.
- Advising Andean Towers on day-to-day matters, including reviewing contracts and assisting in negotiations with other telecoms providers.
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)
Lawyers in Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)'s TMT group are valued by sources for their ability to ‘anticipate and mitigate negative results'. The practice draws on strong regulatory lawyers who bring to bear experience in media, internet and new technologies, with notable expertise in data protection, contracts and regulatory affairs. Practice director Andrés Fernández De Castro leads the group and specialises in telecoms, data protection and technology. Other key contacts include IP, competition and TMT partner Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano; and TMT-focused associate Andrés Meza.
Mauricio Jaramillo Campuzano; Andrés Fernández de Castro
‘The team in general is very professional, organised, well-led and fulfils the commitments required during the consulting or advisory relationship.’
‘The lawyers and associates of the Gómez-Pinzón firm stay close to the client, offer alternatives and, in our case, have identified “red flags” that have allowed us to anticipate and mitigate negative results.’
Didi Chuxing Technology / DiDi Mobility Information Technology
Carvajal Soluciones de Comunicación
The Walt Disney Company
Sumitomo Banking Corporation
Industria Colombiana de Llantas (Icollantas) / Michelin
- Advised Anheuser-Busch InBev on IT matters in relation to the launching of its fintech project in the region, including negotiating contracts with financial partners and launching platforms/apps in Colombia.
- Advised Honeywell international on regulatory obligations concerning the provision of telecoms services in Colombia and also advised on compliance with data protection regulation.
- Advised the The Walt Disney Company on carrying out various productions, including ‘A Tus Pies’ and ‘Siempre Fui Yo’.
Economic regulation boutique, Avante Abogados houses a thriving telecoms and e-commerce practice, which specialises in advising major companies operating in Colombia on data protection and privacy law. The team is held up for its ‘great knowledge' and ‘relevant and evident experience in the sector', under the leadership of department head Carlos Esguerra, who was formerly a consultant at the Communications Regulation Commission. Associate Ana María Mesa is also noted for her emphasis on new technologies. Former practice co-head Juan David Gutiérrez left to become a full-time associate professor in July 2021.
‘Great knowledge of the subject. Lawyers provide direct and timely responses.’
‘The team maintains a very close relationship with clients. Lawyers possess relevant and evident experience in the sector, not only as advisors but also from the point of view of the regulator and supervisor of personal data.’
‘Carlos Esguerra is an advisor who knows the business of mass consumption due his advice to different companies in the industry, which allows him to better mitigate the risks associated with the operation of this type of business.’
Aerocivil (Civil Aeronautics Authority of Colombia)
Anheuser-Busch InBev (Dominican Republic, Panamá and Barbados subsidiaries)
Philip Morris International
Ruiz & Asociados
- Represented Aerocivil in a high-profile regulatory procedure, involving legal discussions related to competition law in the sector of online flight booking services.
- Advised Alpina on its data protection-related matters in Colombia.
- Advised Bavaria on its data protection-related matters in Colombia.
BBGS Abogados is recognised for its prominent offerings in the television and digital media spheres, where it provides ongoing advice to major players such as Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television International. Other core areas of activity include advertising, promotions, gaming, software rights and data protection. Myriam Montenegro has strong expertise in matters related to audio-visual productions; she co-heads the department alongside IP partner Felipe Rubio, and Luis Felipe Barrios, who is well versed in the media, entertainment, technology and communications sectors.
Luis Felipe Barrios; Myriam Montenegro; Felipe Rubio
Sony Pictures Television International
Plural Comunicaciones (CANAL 1)
Samsung Electronics Colombia
Abbott Laboratories De Colombia
Axn Colombia Networks
- Advising Amazon Studios on negotiating and drafting development and production services agreements with production companies in Perú and Colombia, among other matters.
- Representing DirtyKitchen on a project with a major Colombian bank, through which the talented authorise the use of their image for the creation of an avatar.
- Advising Teleset and Sony Pictures Television International on all legal matters regarding the pre-production, production and post-production of the audio-visual projects they develop and produce.
ECIJA Colombia was formed through the May 2021 tie-up between legacy firm Márquez Barrera Castañeda Ramírez (MBCR) and Spain-headquartered TMT specialist ECIJA. Arguably best known for the strength of its media and entertainment law practice, the local office also packs a punch in regulatory matters regarding the telecoms, internet and e-commerce industries. The ‘friendly, competent and diligent‘ team is co-led by Patricia Renjifo -who specialises in IP, media and entertainment law- alongside regulatory specialist Pablo Márquez, who is a former chairman of Colombia’s Commission for Communications Regulation. Other key contacts include litigation and telecoms partner Julio Castañeda, of counsel Pablo Onofre, and senior associates Paula Gutiérrez de Piñeres and Andrés Paillié. Of counsel Victor Cuéllar Olarte left to become general counsel at EdgeUno in January 2022.
Patricia Renjifo; Pablo Márquez
‘It is a firm with strong knowledge and experience in TMT matters. The team provides complete support, which gives peace of mind to the client.’
‘Lawyers are friendly, competent and diligent. They are not pushy and are willing to listen to the client’s opinions and/or recommendations.’
Raw Content Studios
Mico Media Producciones
Mercado Libre Colombia / Mercadopago Colombia
Samsung Electronics Colombia
- Advised CMO Producciones on international productions for clients such as Netflix and Telemundo, from the development of the audio-visual work through to post-production.
- Advised MercadoLibre, and the payment processor MercadoPago, on e-commerce regulation, privacy law and consumer law, among other matters.
- Advised Samsung Electronics Colombia on regulatory matters affecting the company’s operation.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.’s top-tier IP practice lends itself well to coverage of media and entertainment clients, while the firm’s regulatory prowess ensures that it is a popular choice to advise technology and telecoms companies on regulatory matters and administrative proceedings. Gustavo Tamayo is particularly recognised for his advice to telecoms clients; he has recently advised América Móvil's local subsidiary, Claro Colombia, on several regulatory issues. Tamayo co-leads the group together with trade mark and copyrights head Tatiana Carrillo; and associate director María Alejandra De Los Ríos, who specialises in privacy, data protection and commercial contracts.
Gustavo Tamayo; Tatiana Carrillo; María Alejandra De Los Ríos
‘The team’s great strengths are its attention to detail, pragmatism and practical approach, which is so necessary in today’s world.’
‘Lawyers’ provide a top-quality service, in every sense, including timing, analysis, communication and commitment.‘
Claro Colombia (America Movil)
Telesat Canada (and local affiliate Anik Colombia)
Speedcast (sucursal Colombia)
- Advised AstraZeneca Colombia on data protection programmes, specifically on matters concerned with pharmacovigilance, which involves the collection of sensitive personal data.
- Represented Boticario Colombia on the implementation of a local privacy programme, which is being implemented by its parent company in Brazil due to new privacy regulations applicable in Brazil.
- Advised Herbalife Colombia on the implementation of data protection programmes and strategies as per the local regulation.
Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos
Regulatory stalwart Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos fields a prominent telecoms practice, which brings together experience in representing public entities as well as communications corporations on strategic matters. Leveraging its top-tier practices in public law and competition, the team specialises in advising on regulatory issues, administrative procedures and contentious work. Competition and telecoms specialist Alfonso Miranda Londoñ co-heads the practice alongside Juan Carlos Esguerra, Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos and Andrés Felipe Yáñez.
Alfonso Miranda Londoño; Juan Carlos Esguerra; Felipe Piquero Villegas; Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos
‘Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos is an excellent law firm. It provides excellent service and we consider it as a real “business partner” in Colombia. Lawyers respond very fast and charge reasonable rates. In general, we have an excellent opinion of the law firm.’
‘Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos is our adviser. He is an excellent lawyer and is always willing to provide support. We always count on his opinion for complex matters in Colombia.’
‘The combination of its lawyers’ expertise in antitrust, competition, constitutional, and other areas provide a one-stop-shop for legal matters in Colombian and LatAm jurisdictions. A fully bilingual, kind, professional and discreet law firm.’
AXESS Networks Solutions
- Representing BT Latam in a class action filed by residents of the Department of San Andrés and Providencia concerning the poor execution of a contract for installing and operating a submarine fibre optic cable on the Island of San Andrés.
- Advising AXESS Networks Solutions on all legal matters, especially regulatory compliance.
- Advising Protekto on various matters, including on compliance with Colombian telecoms regulation and on an enforcement action carried out by the Superintendence of Transportation.
TMT boutique Gómez Consultores stands out for the ‘specialist knowledge of its partners and associates'. The multidisciplinary team maintains a strategic focus on telecoms, technology, media and start-ups, with its comprehensive experience spanning, regulatory, financial and contentious matters. Founding partner Juan Carlos Gómez is noted for his extensive experience in the telecoms industry, honed during his involvement in the liberalisation of the sector in Colombia. Other key contacts include Juan Sebastián Gómez Castro, who has an emphasis on media and telecoms matters, and regulatory law-focused associate Juanita Fernández Gómez.
Juan Carlos Gómez; Juan Sebastián Gómez
‘Gomez Consultores’ practice is distinguished by the availability of the partners to assist us, and the adequate management and timely information that it provides to us about our cases.’
‘The team stands out for the specialist knowledge of its partners and associates.’
Energía Integral Andina
Consorcio Canales Nacionales Privados
- Successfully represented Caracol Television in arbitral proceedings concerning the price of extending a contract to operate a private TV network.
- Advised RCN Televisión on consumer protection law following participant complaints concerning its holding of a contest.
‘Deeply trained in the legal aspects of the advertising industry‘, Márquez-Robledo is a destination practice for domestic and multinational companies looking for advice on promotional matters. Indeed, the firm’s popularity is evidenced by the fact that it counts 70% of Colombia’s advertising agencies as clients. The broad team is also well versed in media, entertainment and telecoms-related matters. Firm founder Santiago Márquez Robledo specialises in corporate IP law, entertainment, media and advertising, while key associate María Alejandra Ahumada is noted for IP, entertainment and antitrust matters. In September 2021, senior associate Andrés Monroy joined the team from Posse Herrera Ruiz.
‘The Márquez-Robledo team is deeply trained in the legal aspects of the advertising industry. Lawyers are always willing to support and augment the legal processes of the business, as well as offer the best advice and options in legal terms based on the veracity and evaluation of each case.’
‘We value lawyers clarity, argumentation and negotiation capacity, and support, particularly Santiago Márquez, María Alejandra Ahumada and Andrés Monroy.’
McCann Erickson Corporation
- Advised Netflix on the terms and conditions and privacy management for a promotional trivia test through which the platform advertised new series, Squid Game.
- Advised Bwin on the making of a TV commercial that was intended to represent James Rodriguez (globally known soccer player) and Catherine Ibargüen (Olympic Games champion), during the Copa America, and on the measures to be taken to prevent possible copyright infringements.
- Advised Visa on the review and adaptation of media and advertising campaigns in which it participates with other companies.
Posse Herrera Ruiz
Noted for its ‘clarity of advice', Posse Herrera Ruiz leans on its wider full-service offering to provide multidisciplinary coverage of TMT-related matters. Real estate specialist Andrés Montoya co-heads the practice; he brings significant experience in telecoms law, both from an infrastructure and regulatory perspective. Fellow department head Jorge de los Ríos is a competition partner, who is well versed in data protection and TMT-related regulatory issues. IP partner Ernesto Cavelier is also a key contact, while competition-focused associate Laura Torrado provides support.
Andrés Montoya; Jorge de los Ríos
‘We value the firm for its professionals’ clarity of advice, as well as for its understanding of business and the needs of the client.’
‘We highlight lawyers’ interactions with the client, their negotiating capacity, respect and legal support.’
UNE EPM Telecomunicaciones
Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Bogota
Liberty Latin America
Phoenix Tower International
Playtech Software Services
- Advised Huawei on the revision of all regulatory laws in connection with the development of 5G in Colombia.
- Advised telecoms provider Tigo on reviewing regulatory matters for developing competitive strategies against principal rivals Claro, Telefónica and Wom.
- Advised Amazon, working alongside Loeb & Loeb, on Colombian regulations to send SMS with marketing purposes, as part of one of its well-known subscription services.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas‘ TMT offering is particularly weighted towards technology work, drawing on the firm’s IP and technology practice and its privacy and cybersecurity group. Other areas of activity include media and entertainment, advertising and consumer protection. Juanita Acosta is highly regarded for her experience in privacy and e-commerce matters and co-heads the department together with IP expert Luz Helena Adarve, who additionally handles privacy and cybersecurity matters. Senior associate Rocío Ruíz is also noted for IT law.
Luz Helena Adarve; Juanita Acosta
‘A cross-functional team that has good experience in personal data.’
‘We highlight the agility and participation of the partners in the resolution of matters.’
- Advising HBO Max on personal data processing in compliance with local regulations, and specifically on the requirements set by Colombian law and the Data Protection Authority for international data transfers and transmissions.
- Advising Accenture on all aspects of its business operations, with an emphasis on transactional and contractual issues, and compliance with local regulations, such as the requirements set for international data transfers and transmissions.
- Assisting Colombian start-up Tul with the implementation of an integral programme for personal data management, which included an in-depth analysis of its activities and processes, along with all of its relevant documents.
DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán
‘A practical firm‘, DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán ‘delivers its suggestions to clients in a very responsible way‘, according to sources. Best known for its work in the IT and media sectors, the group routinely advises on transactions, regulatory matters and dispute resolution. Department co-head María Claudia Martínez is a regulatory specialist, with a focus on antitrust, consumer protection and data protection. Managing partner Camilo Martínez co-heads the team and is noted for sensitive and contentious TMT-related matters. Associate Natalia Fernández is recommended for data protection.
María Claudia Martínez; Camilo Martínez
‘Excellent team comprised of the best lawyers in their different areas of law. Collaboration has increased and improved dramatically since the start of the pandemic.’
‘It is a practical firm and delivers its suggestions to clients in a very responsible way, weighing up all the variables. Camilo Martinez and María Claudia Martínez are outstanding.’
‘The experience of working with DLA Piper MB has been extraordinary, both from a technical-legal point of view, as well as in terms of responsiveness and follow-up with the client.’
‘María Claudia Martínez is, without doubt, an exceptional lawyer. It is truly a pleasure to be able to call on her when our clients require legal support in Colombia.’
Ola Financial Technologies
Amazon Web Services
Advent International Colombia
Comunicación Celular (Comcel)
- Represented Farrow Colombia (in liquidation), Farrow México and Farrow Ventures — as owners of the Pig.gi platform — before the SIC in an administrative investigation concerning data protection.
- Assisted Amazon with the adoption of policies regarding data protection compliance schemes to guarantee the company’s proper processing of personal data under Colombian regulation, among other matters.
- Acted for Latin American cloud communication platform, Masivian, on its $47.5m acquisition by Route Mobile.
Marrugo Rivera Asociados
Technology boutique Marrugo Rivera Asociados has a sharp focus on regulatory compliance and digital security matters, and sources highlight its ‘good relationships with the supervisory authorities'. The firm’s strength in data protection and privacy was recently evidenced by its work with TransUnion and the Colombian Ministry of Health and Social Protection on their data protection programmes. Department head Ivan Dario Marrugo has ‘great knowledge of the subject'. Associate director Claudia Elena Escobar is also well versed in data protection law.
Ivan Dario Marrugo; Claudia Elena Escobar
‘This office is characterised by its good relationships with the supervisory authorities, as well as its knowledge and management of TMT issues.’
‘Ivan Dario Marrugo has great knowledge of the subject. In his advice and recommendations, he is accurate and denotes openness to understand the client’s business. He is also creative in finding legal alternatives that allow the development of the client’s needs.’
Ministerio de Salud y Protección Social
Ministerio de Tecnologías y Telecomunicaciones
Password Consulting Services
- Advised the Colombian Ministry of Health and Social Protection on an audit of its data protection programme.
- Advised TransUnion on an audit of its data protection programme.
- Advised Corredor Empresarial on an audit of its data protection programme.
Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados
Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados’ TMT team ‘balances compliance requirements with the need for business development', according to sources. The firm is mainly active in the telecoms and tech sectors; in terms of the latter, its growing experience in representing start-ups is particularly notable. Managing partner Diego Muñoz Tamayo advises TMT industry clients on regulatory and transactional matters and co-heads the department alongside Felipe Trias, whose finance background positions him well to advise on fintech matters.
Diego Muñoz Tamayo; Felipe Trias Visbal
‘MTA is really familiar and experienced with TMT issues in Colombia, and assists us with contract issues.’
‘The office combines a dynamic and comprehensive service with personality. Claims are answered quickly and completely.’
‘The certainty that the solutions to the problems presented will arise with speed generates great peace of mind for the client.’
‘Diego Muñoz Tamayo has strong technical knowledge, strong ability to solve complex problems and unmatched dedication.’
‘Diego Muñoz Tamayo always reacts promptly to any request. Also, his legal analysis is practical and professional; the team balances compliance requirements with the need for business development. The firm’s practical solutions to legal compliance is the most important skill we value.’
3ESI Colombia (Aucerna)
- Advised Kushki Colombia on the legal framework for cryptocurrencies in Colombia, to implement an electronic payment processing platform that accepts cryptocurrencies.
- Advised video-sharing mobile app, Kuaishou, on the incorporation of a local vehicle and the implementation of its business in Colombia.
- Advised Workiva on the legal framework for data protection and also on tax regulations applicable to its software implementation activity in Colombia.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's TMT offering is noted for its experience in providing ongoing regulatory and compliance advice to local and multinational media and technology companies. The firm also advises TMT clients on IP and corporate transactions. Department head Diego Cardona is a regulatory specialist and handles data protection matters.
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena (SPRC)
Cardenas Marketing Network
- Advised SAP Colombia on various aspects of its operations in Colombia, including on compliance with cybersecurity and data protection laws.
- Advised Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena on the process of identifying protectable software developments, assuring the ownership over the economic rights, drafting of all transfer and licensing agreements, and securing registrations with the Copyright Office for over 30 specialised software and apps.
- Advised Cardenas Marketing Network on all IP, real estate, advertising, consumer protection and corporate matters for the construction of Arena Bogotá, a ticketing-service platform.