Energy and natural resources in Colombia
Addressing the entire energy spectrum and rendering advice on the entire lifecycle of projects, Posse Herrera Ruiz is best known for its expertise in the oil and gas sector, particularly for entering competitive bid processes, while concurrently maintaining a high profile in conventional and renewable energy and mining. Environmental co-lead as well as head of the energy and natural resources practice, Álvaro José Rodríguez is 'always available to find solutions for issues, especially the most complex ones'; his expertise spans the sector from oil, gas and mining, to M&A and financings in the electricity segment. Counsel Diana Salazar, who divides her practice between mining and insurance, and senior associate Mariana Sánchez who is more fully centred on energy and natural resources, are key members of the five-strong team; both bring relevant in-house experience to the table. The group also draws additional support from other areas, with corporate associate Juliana Zuñiga, and associate director for taxes and international trade Jaime Gómez, both active in the sector.
‘Posse Herrera Ruiz’ work team is always available to attend to our legal consultation requirements. The team works efficiently and effectively. I highlight the management carried out by Álvaro José Rodríguez and associate Juliana Zuñiga‘.
‘Álvaro José Rodríguez, has extensive knowledge of the energy sector, is up to date and has a good institutional relationship. Very good management by associate Juliana Zuñiga in corporate matters‘.
‘The team is very experienced in the sector and is quite available‘.
‘Álvaro Rodríguez, who is the partner responsible for the energy and natural resources practice area, is very knowledgeable about the Colombian market and a very complete lawyer, always available to find solutions for issues, especially the most complex ones‘.
‘Mariana Sánchez, Álvaro Rodríguez and Jaime Gómez are great lawyers and great people‘.
‘Good and quick answers. The firm seems to be well organised to handle requests depending on the area of expertise‘.
Triple Flag Mining Finance
Sociedad Minera de Santander (Minesa)
AngloGold Ashanti Colombia
Minera de Cobre Quebradona
- Advised Triple Flag Mining Finance on the negotiation of its $100m financing of the development of Buritica mining project, owned by Continental Gold.
- Advised Occidental Andina on the negotiation of a farm-out agreement with Amerisur to acquire 50% of four exploratory blocks.
- Ongoing advice to Minesa on the closing of its acquisition of certain mining titles and real estate properties from Eco Oro Minerals; as well as regarding regulatory alternatives for obtaining the authorisation from the mining agency.
- Advised Termo Okianus on its participation in the Reliability Charge Auction; while the company qualified, its subsequently decided not to bid.
Sanclemente Fernández Abogados S.A.
Highly-regarded in the sector, Sanclemente Fernández Abogados S.A. has a broader service offering than a boutique but its ancillary practices are to some degree oriented around its core energy offering - particularly oil, gas and mining sectors, as well as engagement in power transmission matters. The firm has a one-stop shop’ approach, attending the corporate, labour, tax, environmental and dispute resolution aspects of energy transactions and project development, authorisations and other relevant matters. Four key partners lead the nine-strong team. Diana Sanclemente has a broad practice that includes administrative, contracting and regulatory matters; she is also regional Latin American director for the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN). Oil-and-gas specialist senior partner Antonio Sanclemente, has enormous experience participating in major upstream and downstream mandates; fellow senior partner José Gabriel Fernández focuses on banking and capital markets financings, along with corporate and M&A matters. Donaldo Ariza commands over 20 years’ experience, principally in mining sector. Ignacio Giraldo also brings key participation to the practice on the corporate side.
Vetra Exploración y Producción Colombia
Repsol Exploración Colombia
Amerisur Exploración Colombia Limitada
Helmerich & Payne (Colombia) Drilling Co
Baker Hughes de Colombia
Parker Drilling Company Intl Limited
Conoco Phillips Colombia Vetures
- Advised Repsol Exploración Colombia on the regulatory framework as regards the commercialization process of A1 Jet fuel.
- Permanent advice to Helmerich & Payne (Colombia) Drilling on different legal matters, including the negotiation of service-agreements, importation of different equipment and exchange matters, among others.
- Permanent advice to Conoco Phillips Colombia on different legal matters, including the negotiation of service-agreements, importation of different equipment, exchange matters, among others.
- Assisting a services industry company in delivering, reviewing and completion termination minutes of contract witha public entity
- Offering due diligence in a judicial contingency related to oil asset purchase interest process
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
Fielding a multidisciplinary energy, mining and infrastructure (EMI) practice area, Baker McKenzie S.A.S. is primarily active in electricity and oil and gas projects, with some presence in mining as well. With significantly lengthier presence in the hydrocarbons sector, the group has recently advised Chevron on its gas-asset sale to Ecopetrol subsidiary, Hocol; as well as facilitating foreign investment in the sector. It is, however, in the power-sector where the 10-strong practice, led by new managing partner Alejandro Mesa, 'an excellent lawyer', is seeing most work, acting on both regulatory and structuring aspects as well as on transactional matters. The group has advised on several renewables projects in the wind, solar and biomass segments, including participating in the country's first renewable energy auction and electricity transmission projects. Associate Mariana Villegas leads the power sub-practice; while noted senior associate Nicolás Arboleda leads the increasingly active mining-and-metals sub-practice. Claudia Benavides, Ciro Meza and Andrés Crump attend to relevant contentious, tax, and transactional (and PE) matters, respectively.
‘Alejandro Mesa is an excellent lawyer and a pleasure to deal with. He is clearly a well-seasoned partner. Senior associate Nicolás Arboleda is also an excellent lawyer and a pleasure to deal with; he also has exceptional knowledge of the mining industry in Colombia. Together, they make a tremendous team. They continuously operate at the highest level of professionalism and also consistently go above and beyond the call of duty’.
‘What makes Baker McKenzie excellent is their breadth of knowledge spanning concession contracts, environmental matters, land use matters, etc, and secondly, their experience in the industry providing for practical and precedent based advice. The team is responsive, available at all hours, and is knowledgeable, traits which we have not found present in many other legal firms in Colombia’.
‘Senior associate Nicolás Arboleda, stands out due to his experience in the industry, having worked on the buy side previously in the mining and energy industries’.
‘Their ability to listen to the client, analyse the situation and develop proposals that are in favour of identifying risks, analysing and mitigating them, but always with the idea of advancing the business. Mariana Villegas is an outstanding lawyer for her willingness to understand the business and formulate viable proposals to take projects to their execution phase’.
‘The team at Baker McKenzie in Bogota are truly world class. I was extremely impressed with their subject matter knowledge, as well as their practical commercial advice. As good as you will find anywhere in the world’.
National Mining Agency
Novum Energy Trading
China CAMC Engineering
Cooperativo Minero de Norte de Santander
Trafigura Marketing Colombia
Oak Creek Energy
- Advised Impala Terminals with a project pertaining to the expansion of an oil port facility and its linkage to a nearby refinery for the unloading of crude oil.
- Engaged by Morelco to assist with all legal matters related to its participation (through a joint venture with third parties), in a public bidding process to be allocated the right to build and operate a certain expansion of power transmission infrastructure in the department of La Guajira.
- Advising SPV Villanueva on developing biomass power generation and other forestry projects in Colombia; having previously advised the client on the first renewable energy auction that took place in Colombia.
Brigard Urrutia's sizeable 21-strong team primarily handles matters in the hydrocarbons and power sectors, including participation in renewables projects and auctions, as key areas of strength; it also, however advises large mining multinationals. The team regularly acts as the legal project manager and main counsel on transactions, corporate governance, contractual, regulatory and contentious work in the energy space. Managing partner Carlos Umaña, who provides specialised advice on project development; and senior partner Carlos Urrutia, has extensive experience, frequently handling cross-border transactions in the sector, among other matters; both co-lead the area along with director of the natural resources practice Marianna Boza, who is experienced in oil, gas, mining in Colombia and Venezuela. Infrastructure director Claudia Navarro is an expert on the regulation of the electricity and natural gas services. Senior associate Guillermo Tejeiro is also a key team member, particularly as regards the renewables and energy efficiency sub-practice, as well as heading the environment and sustainable business group.
‘What makes Brigard Urrutia unique is its tradition and reputation’.
‘Marianna Boza stands out for her human warmth and good treatment with her clients’.
SK Innovation Co
Oleoducto de Los Llanos Orientales – Oleoducto Bicentenario de Colombia
Fortescue Minerals Group – FMG
Future Pipe Industries
Masterfoods Colombia Ltda / Royal Canin Colombia
Compañia Operadora Petrocolombia COPP
Shearwater Geoservices Norway
Cameron International Corporation a Schlumberger company
Gases de Occidente
CENIT Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Ministerio de Ambiente y Desarrollo Sostenible
- Advised ONGC Videsh on the development of their activities in several onshore and offshore oilfields, including regulatory matters; and assisted in the drafting, negotiation and review of several contracts and their allocation.
- Advised Geopark on the acquisition of Amerisur Resource.
- Appointed as general environmental advisor of Fortescue Minerals Group.
- Advised an international power company on its participation in the Colombian renewable energy tender process with two renewable energy projects.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas
Preceded by its reputation, Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas' 'strength is its prestige and track record'. Under the leadership of three distinguished specialists, the 'excellent' 11-strong practice maintains a leading reputation for its knowledge of the oil-and-gas industry, upstream, mid and down, as well as having a notable participation in mining and an increasing presence in power. The firm provides comprehensive support across a broad range of transactional –particularly cross-border, project finance, contentious and regulatory- matters for an enviable roster of major multinational energy clients. Acting on behalf of both financial institutions and operators in seeking financing for projects, the firm's international platform also allows the group to act across the region. Venezuela-qualified hydrocarbons specialist Jorge Neher, the firm's regional head of energy (and currently involved in projects in Paraguay, Ecuador, and Venezuela); and Santiago González, who has a notable track-record including senior industry in-house positions, co-head the team in conjunction with Bernardo Cárdenas, who stands out on the financing and corporate aspects. Hernán Rodríguez has expertise in mining and hydrocarbons is a key member of the team, which was further strengthened with the April-2020 incorporation of Alejandra Bonilla, former VP of Frontera Energy, as a partner.
‘Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas strength is its prestige and track record’.
‘It is a well-formed team’.
‘They are excellent’.
Korea National Oil & Gas Corporation
Pluspetrol Resources Corporation
OGNC Videsh Sucursal Colombia
Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia
Gran Tierra Energy
Equion Energia Limited
Hidrocarburos CEQU Colombia
- Assisting Gran Tierra with the due diligence, negotiation, and execution of asset purchase agreements for the acquisition of three blocks located in Arauca and Putumayo from Vetra Exploración & Producción.
- Assisted Equion Energia with the preparation of a legal opinion in connection with the interpretation and application of a joint operating agreement; specifically, to confirm if Equion, as operator, has the right to charge overhead costs to the joint venture partners (Total and Hocol).
- Advised Petroquimica Comodoro Rivadavia on the process of qualifying as a potential bidder in the permanent (oil & gas block) areas award-process, launched in 2019.
- Providing legal advice to CEPSA Colombia on the analysis and preparation of a legal opinion concerning the interpretation and application of certain clauses of an association contract with Colombia’s national oil company; specifically in connection with the possibility of chargeing the direct labour costs of certain personnel used by CEPSA (in its role of operator of the block), to the joint account.
Led by 'excellent' Patricia Arrázola Bustillo, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)'s practice is hailed for its deep knowledge, the fruit of its comprehensive experience across the full energy and natural resources landscape. While practice head Arrázola, leading the nine-strong team, directs mining and power projects, senior partner Germán Villamil oversees oil and gas, and José Luís Palacios (elected partner in January 2020), who, in addition to his oil and gas background, has increasingly participated in power transactions over the last few years, where the firm has a leading role in the market. The practice advises on all types of energy generation, as well as on relevant industry matters, including advising on the first long-term PPA auction, and the reliability charge that took place in 2019.
‘Their experience in the sector, working with important clients both national and foreign, is the differentiating factor of the work conducted by this team. Their knowledge of the market in this sector makes the advice they provide comprehensive both in the specific area of energy and natural resources, as well as in the viability, banking, and financing of the projects; attending to the specific needs and corporate structures of each client. Besides, the advice is complemented by other practices involved in the projects, maintaining good communication between internal teams‘.
‘They are curious, smart, very resourceful and know the industry very well‘.
‘José Luis Palacios is one of the greatest lawyers I’ve had the pleasure to work with. He is humble, kind, and has the greatest skill for an advisor, he listens, not to respond, but to understand. Our work relationship has been remarkable‘.
‘José Luis Palacios is very practical in the advice he provides to clients and focuses his knowledge not only to respond to legal inquiries and needs but to make projects viable and executable. Customer availability is permanent to help resolve queries and meet urgent needs at any time. Besides, the treatment of the client is very kind and they give security in their concepts and recommendations. The team works pretty well and the members are aware of the progress of the projects‘.
‘Patricia Arrazola and Jose Luis Palacios are excellent professionals. They have accompanied us throughout the transaction cycle aiming to be very decisive‘.
Black Rock Real Assets
Prime Termoflores (formerly known as Zona Franca Celsia)
Glenfarne Group – Enfragen
Oleoducto Central (Ocensa)
- Advised Termocandelaria in the process whereby the company was awarded Firm Energy Obligations under the CREG Reliability Charge Auction (January 2019); and on the subsequent conversion of its single-cycle plant into a combined-cycle plant so as to increase capacity.
- Advised Acciona on the purchase of five special purpose vehicles owned by Solar Green which hold photovoltaic projects expected to participate in UPME’s renewable energy Auction.
- Advised gas distributor Surtigas on its entry into cogeneration and self-generation energy projects; incuding the negotiation of PPA’s.
- Rendered day-to-day advice to Crest Financial’s subsidiaries, particularly regarding the acquisition of quotas and participation interests in a mining company, and the purchase and sale of mining concessions.
- Legal advice to Ecopetrol on the due diligence and contractual negotiation of an SPA for acquiring the Colombian legal vehicle of an important global oil and gas company.
Led by the 'excellent' Jose Vicente Zapata, Holland & Knight's 16-strong energy and natural resources team that receives fulsome praise, with clients highlighting 'proximity', 'response times as well as transversal and comprehensive solutions'. The practice covers the full scope of energy and natural resources work, with an emphasis on environmental law. Senior counsels Inés Elvira Vesga, who focuses on hydrocarbons; and Daniel Fajardo, who advises energy, oil, gas and mining companies on regulatory issues and M&A, are key practitioners and contacts. On the contentious side, senior counsel Juan Israel Casallas (public law, administrative and constitutional litigation; arbitration) and associate Estefanny Pardo also provide relevant support.
‘Response times as well as transversal and comprehensive solutions are the strength of the team. It does stand out favourably compared to other firms’.
‘The effectiveness and practicality of the proposed solutions. Outstanding: José Vicente Zapata and associates Inés Vesga, Estefany Pardo and Daniel Fajardo’.
‘The deep knowledge of mining and oil law from the firm’s lawyers. What I would highlight most is the excellent balance between a deep theoretical knowledge and a great sense of practicality. Although in environmental law, José Vicente Zapata does an excellent job, in the energy and natural resources team the entire team seems to have excellent qualities to provide a good service. It does stand out from the competition and I do not know of another multi-service firm with an energy team at this level’.
‘José Vicente Zapata has excellent knowledge of mining, oil and environmental law, which added to his great practical sense and his excellent customer service make him stand out from his competitors. Likewise, senior counsel Daniel Fajardo has excellent knowledge of these three issues – the quality of his work is unquestionable’.
‘José Vicente Zapata stands out for his knowledge of the hydrocarbons and the environmental areas. He is excellent’.
Novum Energy Colombia
- Provided Novum Energy Colombia with comprehensive legal advice on corporate, mining and labour matters; incuding the negotiation of commercial agreements.
- Acted as local counsel to an international mining group in the acquisition of another international miner with assets in Colombia.
- Advised an oil and gas company on exploration and production rights within an established protected area.
- Advised two power companies on their participation in a recent government bid for energy provision.
Providing comprehensive advice on the development of mining, oil-and-gas and power projects, including renewable energy, Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría draws reviews for its 'excellent knowledge, permanent accessibility, clear, concrete and effective answers'. Practice head Sandra Manrique, with ample experience in the power and oil and gas sectors, specialising in matters involving energy products regulation in regard to hydrocarbons and public utilities, leads the nine-strong area, which is supported by an additional eight-strong environmental practice. Director for gas and hydrocarbons Johanna Cajigas and associate Juan Pablo Gutiérrez are involved in complex transactions.
‘Excellent knowledge, permanent accessibility, clear, concrete and effective answers’.
‘Exceptional knowledge on the subject. Absolute dedication and personalised attention, the promised deadlines are met’.
‘It is a strong, talented, up-to-date team and is aware of the sector details, it is in the top-5 with respect to other legal teams’.
‘They are very attentive, they are very alert to the issues that the company needs, they respond to concerns quickly and they facilitate analyses in a clear and accurate way’.
Enerfin Grupo ELECNOR
Terpel Energía .
Transportadora de Gas Internacional (TGI)
Source South America One
Juan Manuel Ruiseco V
Chilco Distribuidora de Gas y Energía
Termo Mechero Aguazul
Termo Mechero Morro
Sloane Energy Group
Phoenix Global Resources
Gran Tierra Energy
Lewis Energy Colombia
- Legal and regulatory advisory to Empresas Públicas de Medellín regarding the structuring of a compliance scheme in accordance with new regulatory parameters.
- Legal and regulatory advisory to CNE Oil & Gas concerning the structuring the connection of the producer’s fields to the national gas transport system, involving the construction of a pipeline by the producer.
- Offered legal and regulatory advisory to Cemex Energy in the construction and operation of two photovoltaic plants under a self-generation scheme.
- Legal advice La Luna EP on the National Hydrocarbon Agency’s area awarding process, where the company was bidding for obtaining eight areas.
Angulo Marti´nez & Abogados
With an exclusive focus on power, boutique firm Angulo Martínez & Abogados specialises in offering comprehensive advice -particularly from the project development perspective- on the electricity sector, including notable experience and participation in wind and solar renewable projects. Established in 2016, the firm's approach combines deep knowledge of power regulation and tax, specifically those aspects providing for investment in renewables, in the design, structuring and development of electricity projects. Founding partner Juan José Angulo's comprehensive experience ranges across all aspects of the electricity sector; he focuses on regulatory and environmental matters, and project structuring. Tax expert Juan Fernando Giraldo is also a key member of the boutique.
Oleoducto Central – OCENSA
Oak Creek Energy
Renovatio Trading Américas
Gran Tierra Energy
- Successfully represented EDP Renováveis to participate (with 493MW generation capacity) in the Reliability Charge Auction (the first time projects of this nature have participated); the designated projects were awarded a 20 years income.
- Advised Begonia Power on obtaining grid access for its 330MW generating projects Camelias (250MW) and Acacia (80MW), to be located in La Guajira.
- Represented the shareholders in the sale of the Alpha 212MW and Beta 280MW wind-farm projects, acquired by EDP Renováveis, and to be construed in La Guajira; as of August 2019 these were the only projects to have obtained ANLA environmental licenses.
Boutique firm Chalela | Abogados' clients point to founder Federico Chalela’s ‘excellent understanding' of the oil and gas business, and further recommend the practice for its handling of contentious matters and contractual disputes. The firm’s expertise on crude-pipeline tariffs, for example, continues to pay dividends as the team represented local and major international companies in their negotiations with the government. However, the firm also advises energy-related company on broader contractual issues. The nine-strong boutique was strengthened with the incorporation of María Isabel Paz -formerly a senior lawyer at the Conciliation and Arbitration Centre of the Bogotá Chamber of Commerce- as associate director of litigation. Consultant litigator Juan Carlos Devis is also noted.
‘Federico and his team have an excellent understanding of the oil & gas space and related financing arrangements. Their English language skills mean that transactions move forward swiftly without the delay often experienced with some of their competitors‘.
‘Federico Chalela and his team are incredibly responsive, available at all hours and always a pleasure to deal with. They are incredibly experienced and have not only a tremendous knowledge and experience of the existing legislative framework but are also well appraised of potential developments allowing parties to plan accordingly. Extremely experienced and a pleasure to deal with’.
‘Federico Chalela is a great professional, leader, responsible, rigorous and methodical. Juan Carlos Devis is an excellent litigator. Both have extensive experience in the oil and gas sector and work as a team, with great coordination in terms of criteria, positions and solutions to put forward to the client’.
High Power Exploration
BC Exploración y Producción de Hidrocarburos SL Sucursal Colombia
Gran Tierra Energy
- Represented 12 companies in connection with the Colombian pipeline-system tariff-negotiation rounds with the Ministry of Mines and Energy for the 2019-2023 period; the companies are: Repsol, Trafigura, Gran Tierra, BP, Equion Energía, Parex Resources, Gunvor, Frontera Energy, Cepsa, Geopark, Oxy and Perenco.
- Represented BC Exploración y Producción de Hidrocarburos (BCEP) on the termination proceedings, negotiations and liquidation of three exploration and production contracts.
Estudio Legal Hernández
A new entry to the tables, power and gas specialist Estudio Legal Hernández is lauded for both its deep expertise and 'high dedication' to the clients. The boutique renders integral strategic and permanent advisory to developers, builders and operators of conventional and non-conventional power projects, industrial and commercial users, public entities and utilities. Practice head Juanita Hernández, who has in-house sector experience at both a utility company and in public administration, is the key name in the four-strong team, which draws wider support from the firms' public law and corporate areas, under the leadership of former Council of State judge Augusto Hernández Becerra. The practice handles the full chain of energy generation, transmission, distribution and commercialization, and also advises on the commercialization of natural gas and electricity in the wholesale and retail markets, the negotiation of supply and grid connection contracts, power auctions and infrastructure tenders.
‘They are very strong in the electricity market in Colombia. They are very attentive and provide helpful and timely advice. Good connections in the sector’.
‘Specific knowledge in energy and gas regulation‘.
‘The team is excellent, they handle the issue like no other firm‘.
‘Estudio Legal Hernández has a high degree of specialisation in energy issues and dedication to its clients that differentiate it from other law firms‘.
‘Juanita has a great knowledge of the sector and is very up-to-date with regulatory and legal changes‘.
‘Juanita Hernández has extensive experience in companies in the Colombian electricity and gas sector’.
Renergetica Latam Corporation
- Provided legal, contractual and regulatory advice to Ecopetrol regarding the 21MW Parque Solar Castilla project; value, $20m.
- Comprehensive advice on regulatory, real estate and contractual matters to Solargreen for the development of 15 non-conventional generation projects.
A key player in the mining market -although not limited to it- Lloreda Camacho & Co. acts principally for major domestic and global mining companies. The group, which excels in the full suite of transactional, regulatory and contentious work, is led by recognised specialist Ignacio Santamaría, who has over 30 years' experience handling mining sector tax and administrative matters, as well as structuring joint ventures, special purpose vehicles, option agreements and mining title purchase agreements. The team also has a strong grasp of environmental law, advising on carbon bonds and the final disposal of electrical-products, among other matters. Senior associate Angela María Salazar is now also practice director.
‘Lloreda Camacho is recommended for the natural resources area; both Ignacio Santamaría and senior associate Ángela Salazar are truly brilliant‘.
Outcrop Gold Corp
Libero Copper Corporation
Minera Cobre de Colombia
Capella Financial Management
Red Eagle Mining de Colombia
- Advised Continental Gold on the financing for the development of Buritica project utilizing Colombia’s first mining streaming agreement.
- Acted as Colombian legal counsel to Rio2 regarding its interest in the acquisition of Red Eagle Mining de Colombia.
- Represented Continental Gold on the reconsideration petition against a decision issued by Antioquia’s Tax Authority concerning the payment of a mortgage registration tax.
Palacios Lleras' high degree of specialisation in the power and oil-and-gas segments, along with the firm's core regulatory and contentious strength, has ensured its profile in the sector. The 10-strong practice group is led by founder Hugo Palacios Mejía (recognised for his expertise in public law and long trajectory as litigator), and Ángel Castañeda, a former Head of the Legal Office of the Regulating Committee for Gas and Energy (CREG), with a considerable track record at the eponymous Castañeda & Velasco, before joining the firm in mid-2019. Disputes partner Óscar Gutiérrez, who was recently appointed as an arbitrator of the Superintendencia de Sociedades, also participates in the sector; while the team also benefited from the hire of senior associate Luís Alberto Vicuña (energy, oil and gas), and associate Felipe Forero (public utilities matters), who arrived with Castañeda. The team advises major domestic and international companies, primarily representing them before authorities and courts in matters such as tariff filing, technical controversies and regulatory procedures (particularly for renewable energy), as well as handling complex market disputes.
‘Specialised knowledge in regulatory issues, especially in the areas of transportation, distribution and marketing of fuel gas by networks. They are also recommended for working with excellence, being available 24 hours, their kindness and being constantly updated on regulatory matters’.
‘Ángel Castañeda is recommended for his kindness, professionalism and disposition to attend issues immediately’.
Gases del Caribe
Compañía Energética de Occidente
- Advised Seaone on the selection process to assign the “reliability charge” that was won by the Termosolo 1 and 2 projects.
- Negotiated and structured Advised APR Energy on the negotiation and structuring of a leasing contract with Ecopetrol to provide generation equipment.
- Advised Gases del Caribe on natural gas regulatory matters; specifically, on the replacement and extension of the Tucurínca pipeline, updating of supply contracts with Tebsa, and automatic financing of overdue natural gas bills.
Renowned for its experience in infrastructure, Arrieta Mantilla & Asociados public law, energy and natural resources practice advises primarily national and international mining companies, and to a lesser degree major oil and gas companies and power utilities, on matters with a regulatory, fiscal or contentious aspect. Practice head and senior partner Carlos Gustavo Arrieta, an established litigator and with considerable experience in arbitration related to the mining and the oil and gas industries, co-heads the six-strong practice with Yady Villaquirán, a finance and public law specialist.
Empresas Públicas De Medellín
Carbones del Cerrejón / Cerrejón Zona Norte
Continental Gold (Colombia)
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
Empresa de Acueducto y Alcantarrillado de Bogotá
Galway Resources Vetas Holdco (Colombia)
Darby Overseas Investments
Sociedad Minera De Santander
Minería Y Energía Minesa
Asociación Colombiana De Minería (ACM)
- Advised Carbones del Cerrejón and Cerrejón Zona Norte on various mining and public law issues as well as judicial representation; matters included advice on the applicability and interpretation of an Administrative Act related to the payment of royalties.
CMS Rodríguez-Azuero has had notable participation both in regulatory matters and on the transactional side. The firm participated in the recent creation of the Fund for Non-Conventional Energy and Efficient Energy Management (FENOGE), the first public fund created exclusively to finance non-conventional energy sources. Other notable matters include acting as lead counsel to the Colombian Government on a comparative review of the contractual model for the allocation of offshore blocks. Practice head Daniel Rodríguez, who is experienced in project structuring and development as well as contractual and regulatory issues, leads the four-strong team.
- Advised ENI on the review of an offshore exploration and production contract awarded by the ANH; as well as acting as local counsel in day-to-day activities, including procurement, commercial matters and regulation.
Durán & Osorio Abogados Asociados expertise in special regulatory matters regarding energy generation and water resources is widely recognised due to the firm’s profound niche expertise in the construction and operation of public services utilities. The practice is led by Jorge Gabriel Taboada, who leads the department of water and sanitation, and is a specialist in public credit and financing. Fellow co-head Álvaro Gasca specialises in the structuring of infrastructure related projects.
Empresa de Acueducto, Alcantarillado y Aseo de Bogotá
National Planning Department – Departamento Nacional de Planeación
Superintendence of Public Utilities
- Permanent legal advisory to the Superintendence of Public Utilities regarding its intervention procedure with regard to Electricaribe.
Primarily advising oil, gas and mining companies, Goh -formerly Godoy Hoyos Abogados'- practice handles primarily regulatory, contractual, environmental and tax matters. Practice head Juan Pablo Godoy, whose extensive trajectory includes in-house positions in the oil industry, is also a tax and foreign exchange expert; and the team also acts in contentious cases. Associate director Álvaro Sabbagh focuses on hydrocarbons exploration and production contracts, including contract bidding processes with ANH and Ecopetrol, access to oil transport and marketing infrastructure.
Maurel & Prom
Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Occidental de Colombia
CPVEN E&P / CPVEN Servicios Petroleros
Carbones el Tesoro (Glencore)
Superior Energy Services
- Advised ADAMG on the purchase of the mining title FHD-161 in Santander; inclluding due diligence process in order to determine the regulatory, corporate, environmental, and tax contingencies related to the transaction.