Antitrust and competition: PRC firms in China
The team at AnJie Law Firm combines antitrust expertise with experience in litigation to handle antitrust litigation, alongside merger filings and compliance work. Clients include major international corporations, such as General Electric, Generali and Panasonic, as well as Chinese companies. The department is jointly led by Hao Zhan, who is regularly instructed in private litigation, government investigations and merger reviews, and co-founding partner Michael Gu, who has vast experience in merger filings and EU competition law. Ying Song is developing a solid practice representing multinational companies in merger filing proceedings and private antitrust litigation. Associate Sihui Sun is also recommended.
‘The team is very professional, with excellent professional capabilities in the field of insurance and anti-monopoly business, and has a strong ability to control the entire process of the project.’
‘They are all involved in project negotiation, agreement review, project follow-up, and communication with regulatory authorities. Outstanding performance, able to integrate the actual situation of the enterprise, while realizing the business plan, while controlling the overall risk.’
‘The team has performed very well in the anti-monopoly industry, demonstrating top strengths in terms of legal professionalism, customer service, and work efficiency. Especially in very difficult cases, perfect results were obtained.‘
‘Strong strength in antitrust and insurance related fields, able to provide clients with practical legal services‘
‘Can quickly grasp the factual relationship and find out the core problem. At the same time, it pays great attention to communication with customers, and all are price competitive. Very satisfied with the service.’
Air China Cargo
HDC Hyundai Development Company
SMA Solar Techonology (Shanghai)
Volvo Construction Equipment
- Represented Marelli in the merger review notification of its acquisition of equity interest in Shanghai Highly New Energy Technology from Johnson Controls-Hitachi Air Conditioning.
- Assisted Apleona and Generali with their merger filing for a new joint venture.
- Advised Zhejiang Petrochemical and Honeywell on the concentration filing for their establishment of a joint venture
Key areas of expertise for the team at Fangda Partners include PRC merger control filings, investigations of multinational clients by Chinese antitrust agencies, private antitrust litigation and competition regulatory compliance. The team has extensive experience in representing clients in abuse of dominance and cartel cases, as well as follow-on litigation. Michael Han heads the group, with an active contentious and non-contentious practice. Caroline Huang and Jin Wang are both recommended for merger filings and compliance work. Bryan Fu is an experienced litigator who often handles high-profile competition investigations.
‘Exceptional team, led by Michael Han. Highly skilled and technically excellent local legal advice combined with strong commercial perspective and ability to align with international clients.’
‘Michael Han is incredibly responsive and willing to work across time zones and tight deadlines.’
Eastman Chemical Company
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
- Represented Cargotec in the Chinese merger filing of its acquisition of TTS Group ASA’s marine and offshore business.
- Represented Danaher Corporation if the Chinese merger filing of its acquisition of GE Healthcare Life Sciences Biopharma Business.
- Defended Eastman Chemical Company in a Shanghai AMR antitrust investigation for abuse of dominance.
JunHe LLP's competition lawyers, based across Beijing and Shanghai, have significant experience in merger filings, abuse of dominance issues, administrative investigations and civil actions and administrative reviews. The group is led by Yingling Wei, who often handles merger control filings, as well as representing domestic and international corporates in antitrust investigations. Janet Hui is another practitioner with experience in antitrust investigations and compliance. George Wang has expertise in vertical monopoly agreement litigation. Xuefei Bai specialises in EU and Chinese competition law and is particularly noted for antitrust investigations and compliance programmes. Mingfang Gong has an impressive track-record in merger filings, including for joint ventures.
‘The Junhe Antitrust and Competition Law team first has the advantages and characteristics of a long history of practice and excellent actual work performance‘
‘The team has a broad international practice vision, intellectual knowledge and a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of China’s antitrust supervision‘
‘The team has strong commercial sensitivity and provides tailor-made legal services and solutions to clients. Compared with other law firms, the team is good at practice in China and has an international perspective.’
‘The JunHe team is very user-friendly and gives pragmatic and helpful advice on navigating Chinese antitrust procedures.’
‘Janet Hui is my go-to person on Chinese merger control questions. She is very knowledgeable, pragmatic and able to devise creative solutions.’
‘JunHe is responsive and provides clear, pragmatic advice. They do not simply refer to what the legislation says, but are thoughtful in applying the law in context of the specific query in question. They are experienced on merger filings and as China is a jurisdiction without clear decisional practice, their experience on past cases and the current practice of SAMR is very valuable.’
‘Janet Hui is very client-focused and responsive, and works incredibly hard to get the right result for the client. Mingfang Gong has an excellent understanding of SAMR’s practices and gives pragmatic, easy-to-understand advice.’
- Advised GlaxoSmithKline on Chinese competition matters arising from its share and asset purchase agreement with Pfizer.
- Successfully represented Starbucks in an abuse of market position suit filed by Luckin Coffee.
- Advised EDF on its communications with Chinese anti-monopoly regulators in relation to the capital increase in its subsidiaries Shenhua New Energy and Shenhua Clean Energy Holdings.
King & Wood Mallesons
At King & Wood Mallesons, the competition team is well versed in abuse of market power and cartel cases, as well as competition investigations, compliance, international trade and follow-on competition litigation. The group is also regularly instructed on merger control and vertical agreements. Department head Susan Ning is highly regarded for merger control filings, as well as contentious antitrust issues. Zhifeng Chai is regularly instructed on merger filings, and to advise on antitrust compliance and strategic issues. Ruohan Zhang and Ting Gong are also recommended.
Tianjin Zhonghuan Semiconductor
China Electronics Corporation
Zhejiang Geely Holding Group
CPPIB (Canadian Crown corporation created by an Act of Parliament in December 1997)
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Brüel & Kjær Vibro
- Represented TZS on its merger filing for the acquisition of SunPower.
- Represented China Electronics Corporation in a merger filing before SAMR.
- Represented Honda and Hitachi in a filing of a merger between their affiliated suppliers.
T & D Associates
Tian Yuan Law Firm
Tian Yuan Law Firm's antitrust and unfair competition department is noted for handling major contentious matters for a range of domestic and international corporates. In recognition of its strengths, department head Wei Huang is acting for Qualcomm in the Chinese leg of its multi-jurisdictional abuse of market dominance dispute against Apple. Fan Zhu has an increasing amount of experience in competition disputes, including in relation to cartel and vertical monopoly agreement cases. Associate Chang Gao is another name to note for merger filings, antitrust investigations and compliance.
‘Very rich practical experience in the field of antitrust.’
‘Fan Zhu has strong professional ability, he can give effective legal opinions.’
‘Able to combine the laws and regulations of the anti-monopoly law with actual combat applications. The team has experienced leaders and many fast-growing backbone lawyers.’
‘I think the Tianyuan antitrust team has a strong sense of responsibility, outstanding personal ability and good teamwork spirit.’
‘Tianyuan’s team of lawyers has very rich experience in the field of anti-monopoly business, with relatively high professional capabilities and service levels, a reasonable team structure, high overall work efficiency, and relatively reasonable fees.‘
Beijing Jingdong Century Trading
State Administration for Market Regulation; Hainan Provincial Price Bureau
Qualcomm Incorporated; Qualcomm Technologies
Didi Chuxing Technology
China Mobile Communications
Shenzhen Goodix Technology
Lingyi Itech (Guangdong) Company
- Advised JD.com on an antitrust dispute with Alibaba-owned Tmall concerning alleged abuse of dominance.
- Representing Qualcomm on the Chinese aspects of its global abuse of market dominance dispute against Apple, arising from SEP licensing terms.
- Acted for the Hainan Provincial Price Bureau in a judicial review of its finding of a vertical price monopoly against a Chinese company.
Zhong Lun Law Firm's well-established competition and antitrust team regularly represent international companies in abuse of market dominance cases, civil litigation and competition investigations, as well as handling antitrust filings. The group also has significant experience in developing compliance programmes. Leading the group are Shanghai's Scott Guan and Beijing's Lingchen Pu and Yi Xue. Co-founding partner Peng Wu has deep experience in merger filings, antitrust investigations and associated litigation. Frank Jiang is known for acting as lead competition counsel in investigations and litigation, as well as advising on M&A and joint venture projects.
‘The team I have worked with is excellent. They can simplify the complex matters and provide helpful and valuable advice to facilitate the entire transaction.’
Shenzhen Tencent Computer System
Beijing IQIYI Science & Technology
Shanghai Xunmeng Information and Technology
Shanghai Cai Tong De Tang Traditional Pharmacy
Shanghai Hydee Software
Gold Nemans (Shanghai) Food
Hangzhou Weichuan Food
Shandong Port Group Co., Ltd. and Qingdao Port Group
Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt
COSCO SHIPPING Financial Holdings
- Represented Tencent Computer and Tencent Tech (Shenzhen) in a case filed by Alipay (China) Network Technology and Ant Financial Services Group against involving unfair competition disputes
- Represented Beijing IQIYI Science & Technology in its unfair competition action against Feiliu
- Represented Motorola’s three legal entities in China in response of the anti-monopoly civil lawsuit brought by Hytera, for abusing market dominance before the Beijing Intellectual Property Court and won.
Dentons China stands out for its competition law compliance services, assisting international corporates with merger filings in the PRC, as well as representing local companies in abuse of dominance proceedings before the Chinese regulatory authorities. Jet Deng is an antitrust expert with additional expertise in cases involving abuse of intellectual property rights. Ken Dai has an active practice that involves antitrust administrative investigations, compliance, concentration filings and civil antitrust litigation. In Beijing, the practice heads are Guang Han, Meili Gao, Zhisong Deng and Xuefeng Leng, while Jiamao Cheng and Jianmin Dai take the lead in Shanghai.
‘The team has a great sense of client service, this means they strive to understand best what clients need, when, and in which forms. Compared to other firms, their advice is much pragmatic instead of legalistic, and helps to facilitate business decisions.‘
‘Ken Dai is one of our long term partners. He also has a very broad view and deep insights about what is happening in his practice areas. He is also very accessible and willing us to help to succeed. Ken is a trusted legal advisor.’
‘It combines both legal knowledge and practice all together, especially in terms of merger control.’
‘Mr. Dai is persuasive and Mr. Deng is down-to-earth. This combination makes them outstanding both in presentation and delivery.’
Schaeffler Greater China
CNNC Capital Holding
- Advised CNNC Capital Holdings on merger clearance issues in relation to its acquisition of Tongfang Company
- Advised Denso and Toyota on the Chinese merger filing aspects of their multi-jurisdictional joint venture.
- Advised Total China Investment on merger filing for its joint venture with ZZPNE.
The team at Global Law Office is jointly led by Qing Ren and John Wan (both of whom previously worked at MOFCOM), former intellectual property judge Ying Mu and general competition law expert Shujun Liu. The group advises domestic and foreign clients on the spectrum of contentious and non-contentious antitrust and competition issues, including merger filings, cartel investigations and competition litigation. Lili Wu is making a name for herself in investigations and competition compliance.
Other key lawyers:
‘Team structure is reasonable, the service level of the members is high.’
‘The attorneys are highly professional and capable of providing precise services for projects effectively.’
‘Their level of client service is unparalleled. Qing Ren made himself available at all hours of the day and provided excellent guidance and advice.’
‘Excellent judgment, guidance and client service. Qing Ren was a tremendous member of our team and helped guide our client through a very complicated review process with SAMR.’
‘The team has solid knowledge and experience in the area and are familiar with the process of conducting merger control filing in mainland China.’
‘Ren is practical, responsive and get the job done efficiently. He is also flexible in terms of the mode of cooperation.’
Mitsui O.S.K Lines
- Assisted II-VI Incorporated with its merger filing with the state administration for market regulation in relation to its acquisition of Finisar Corporation
- Provided Jiangling Motors with a full range of anti-monopoly compliance services.
- Represented LS Cable in litigation with the European Comission in relation to a cartel case.
The group at Han Kun Law Offices excels in handling multinational merger filings, but it is also regularly instructed on Chinese competition agency investigations, antitrust litigation and competition compliance issues. A demonstration of the firm's reputation among international clients, practice head Chen Ma acted as sole PRC antitrust counsel to Softbank and WeWork in relation to their global merger. Yan Wang, who leads the IP and litigation departments, is noted for IP antitrust issues, while Tracy Zhou specialises in competition issues arising from public and private financing, M&A and foreign direct investment.
‘The Han Kun practice is unique because Chen and his team are fantastic lawyers who have deep expertise in antitrust and competition law combined with an in-depth familiarity with the PRC regulators and a very client-friendly, pragmatic and clearly-communicated approach to quickly and efficiently obtaining approvals for complex M&A transactions.’
‘Chen Ma is a leading, well-respected lawyer in PRC antitrust and competition law. He is uniquely strong in working with U.S. and European clients on complex M&A transactions.‘
- Acted as sole China antitrust counsel for both SoftBank and WeWork in merger filing for SoftBank’s acquisition of WeWork
- Represent Bayer in connection with lifting the conditions imposed on its acquisition of Monsanto
- Represent Aptiv in merger filing for JV transaction between Aptiv and Hyundai Motors
At DaHui Lawyers, Jie Tong leads on competition and antitrust issues. He is regularly instructed on compliance, as well as handling antitrust and unfair competition cases before MOFCOM. Clients include an impressive mix of international heavyweights such as BMW, Blackstone, Samsung and TOTAL.
‘Familiar with the customer, familiar with the industry in which the customer is located, and able to provide more reasonable compliance advice to the company based on the business needs of the company.’
‘Good at providing services in both Chinese and English, providing services more internationally, maintaining a high level in terms of professionalism, service quality, work efficiency, resources and service attitudes, which are more famous than other domestic ones we have used There is no shortcoming, and the overall strength is strong.’
Advent International Corporation
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
China Mengniu Dairy Company
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
China Yongda Automobiles Servies Holdings
CVC Capital Partners
EQT Fund Management
Hernic Ferrochrome Proprietary
PTT Global Chemical Public company
- Advised BMW on PRC merger control in relation to its acquisition of shares of BMW Brilliance Automotive
- Advised on the establishment of a joint venture between GE Aviation and SIA Engineering Company to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for aircraft engine models.
- Advised on China merger controls in relation to the establishment of a joint venture between Mitsui and EasyPNP.
DeHeng Law Offices' Ding Liang is the name to note for competition and antitrust matters. The Chinese offices work closely with the firm's lawyers in Brussels, which is particularly useful for Chinese companies entering the European market.
Volkswagen (China) Investment
Chia Tai (China) Investment
China Mobile Communications Corporation
China Resources Snow Breweries
Hytera Communications Corporation
Shanghai Yuyuan Tourist Mart
Guangzhou Huaduo Network Technology
- Advised Shanghai Yuyuan Tourist Mart on competition issues aeising from its acquisition of shares in Ruyiqing Biotechnology.
- Advised WT Microelectronics on its merger filing for the acquisition of its shares by WGP Holdings
- Assisted Chia Tai China Investment with its antitrust declaration in relation to its acquisition of a 70% stake in Lianyungang Chia Tai Agriculture and Animal Husbandry Development.
A joint operation with Baker McKenzie, FenXun Partners has a strong practice assisting multinationals with Chinese merger control proceedings, often working closely with the firm's able dispute resolution lawyers. The group also has expertise in global cartel issues and competition litigation. Zhi Bao heads the team, drawing on experience working at MOFCOM. Guoquan Wen advises on capital markets-related competition matters.
Hon Hai Industry
Jin Jiang International Hotels
PTT Global Chemical Public Company
Sumitomo Mitsui Auto Service Company
Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing Company
- Represented both SOCAR and BP in relation to the China merger filing for the establishment of joint venture between the parties in Turkey.
- Led the China merger control aspect for the establishment of Thailand’s first plastics recycling facility, a joint venture between Thai petrochemicals conglomerate PTTGC and European plastic supplier ALPLA, and assisted the client to win unconditional clearance quickly. Represented both parties before SAMR to obtain Chinese merger control approval.
- Advised Sumitomo and Toyota Tsusho on the establishment of a joint venture supplying auto steel products in the US
Jincheng Tongda & Neal
Jincheng Tongda & Neal's lawyers specialise in matters relating to unfair competition, advising clients on compliance as well as in investigations, administrative proceedings and follow-on litigation. The department is led by Xiaoqiang Qian, who is an expert in the intersection between competition and intellectual property law. Guodong Zhang is noted for his expertise in merger filing and administrative procedures.
North Huajin Chemical Industries Group Corporation
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
China Resources Power Holdings Company
Suez Environmental Testing Technology (Shanghai)
Foshan Shunde Baoda Enterprise Management Consulting
- Represented Cargotec Oyj in merger control proceedings before the state administration for market regulation in relation to its acquisition of TTS Group
- Assisted Yunnan Energy with merger control filing in connection with its acwuisition of Suzhou Jieli
- Advised North Huajin Chemical Industries Group on a merger filing in relation to a bilateral economic and trade project between China and Saudi Arabia.
TMT boutique Lifang & Partners has impressive expertise in antitrust issues affecting technology companies, including in antitrust investigations, litigation, merger clearances and compliance. The group is also knowledgeable in fair, reasonable and non-descriminatory (FRAND) cases. Co-leading the group are Guanbin Xie and Shan Jiao, both of whom exhibit exceptional expertise in the competition aspects of IP law.
‘A delicate team with strong antitrust expertise and extensive experience in AML litigations and investigations.’
‘Guanbin Xie has outstanding professional background and rich litigation experience. In-depth understanding of anti-monopoly law. Ability to fully understand client’s case and goals and formulate corresponding litigation strategies. Knows how to communicate with foreign clients. Team members complement each other with their own advantages and are very efficient.’
Gansu Yinguang Chemical Industry Group
Mitsui & Co
Berry Global Group
- Represented Gansu Yinguang Chemical Industry Group in the first civil litigation for reaching a horizontal monopoly agreement before Ningbo Intermediate Court and advised it on litigation strategies, evidence collection, and defending arguments.
- Represented Xiaomi Communications in a FRAND royalty rate-setting case before Beijing IP Court.
- Advised Berry Global Group on the merger filing for its £3.34bn acquisition of stock equities in RPC Group
The competition and antitrust team at Llinks Law Offices is regularly instructed on merger filings for M&A and joint venture projects, by Chinese and multinational clients. The group is led by transactional lawyer Nicholas Lou and includes David Pan, an expert in merger filing procedures.
Redstar Macalline Home Decoration Group
Contemporary Amperex Technology
Anglo American Resources (China)
SAIC Motor Corporation
Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics Trading (China)
Shanghai Electric (Group) Company
Anthony Technical Glass (Shanghai)
- Assisted Yonghui Superstores with competition law issues arising from its acquisition of more shares in Zhongbai Group.
- Advised Redstar Macalline Home Decoration Group on its merger filing in connection with its acquisition of Shandong Yin Zuo Home Decoration.
- Advised Honeywell China on local competition law compliance.