Antitrust and competition: PRC firms in China
AnJie Law Firm is praised for its 'timely and efficient services'. The team handles a variety of cases including investigations, merger control filings and daily compliance counselling, and is particularly recommended for its antitrust litigation expertise. Recent caseload include representing both Chinese and foreign-funded companies in antitrust investigations against monopoly agreements or abuse of dominant position, and a large number of merger control filings with the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) and the former MOFCOM Anti-monopoly Bureau. The 'experienced' Michael Gu recently assisted Coloplast (China) Medical Devices with the strategic analysis and assessment of antitrust risk with respect to its distribution system and operation models. Hao Zhan, Ying Song and Stephanie Wu are highly recommended.
‘The team is very experienced in the field of competition law’.
‘Ying Song has strong flexibility in the process of providing the service and can tailor the advice based on the actual needs of his clients’.
GE (China) Co., Ltd.
Sumitomo Electric Management (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.
Volvo Construction Equipment
- Represented OHKI and Sime Darby in the SAMR’s investigation against gun-jumping of merger control filing.
- Advised LG Chem and Huayou Cobalt in their merger control filing.
- Represented Daiwa House and Sojitz Corporation in their merger control filing.
- Advise a medical products company on a potential antitrust litigation against its competitor.
- Advised Bombardier NUG Propulsion System Co., Ltd on its concentration filing with MOFCOM/SAMR for its acquisition of Bombardier Suzhou.
Leveraging its market leading position in the M&A market, Fangda Partners handles a large number of merger control filings for a diverse mix of large multinationals and leading Chinese companies. The full service antitrust team recently advised Eastman Chemical Company in the antitrust investigation for abuse of dominance; represented ChangAn Ford in the antitrust investigation initiated by the local DRC against vertical restraints; advised on a cartel investigation by SAMR; and handled a large number of China merger control filings. Antitrust expert Michael Han leads the team, which also includes Vivian Cao, and counsels Caroline Huang and Bryan Fu.
Other key lawyers:
Vivian Gao; Caroline Huang; Bryan Fu
The Walt Disney Company; 21st Century Fox, Inc.
Eastman Chemical Company
Rockwell Collins, Inc.
Singamas Tianjin Depot Company
Paper Excellence BV
- Advised Linde AG on its €66bn merger with Praxair.
- Acted for both parties in relation to the $71.3bn acquisition of 21st Century Fox by the Walt Disney Company.
- Represented Rockwell Collins in respect of the Chinese merger control aspects concerning the $30bn acquisition by United Technologies.
- Represented Singamas Tianjin Depot Company in Tianjin Development Reform Commission’s investigation of the depot fee cartel in the Tianjin Port.
- Assisted a consortium led by Anta Sports and FoutainVest in the Chinese merger filing for its €4.7bn joint acquisition of Amer Sports.
JunHe LLP is a popular choice for assisting international clients with their cartel investigations and litigation, as well as handling the merger control filings associated with cross-border M&A and inbound investment. Yingling Wei heads the international trade and antitrust and competition group, which also includes Janet Hui who has solid practice covering various competition matters, with particular strength in high profile merger control filings, and managing multiple overseas jurisdictions filings; and Mingfang Gong who previously worked at the MOFCOM.
King & Wood Mallesons' antitrust offering spans the full range of work including abuse of dominance, cartels and competition investigations, competition law compliance, international trade, litigation, merger control and Vertical agreements. Government authorities, Chinese conglomerates, multinational blue-chip corporate companies, and Fortune 500 companies form its impressive client list. Practice head Susan Ning focuses on antitrust and competition matters as well as cyber security and data compliance issues. Kate Peng focuses on contentious antitrust matters including antitrust investigations and litigation, and has notable experience in advising on IP rights protection strategies and complex licensing agreement negotiations. Zhifeng Chai is recommended for merger control filings and responding to investigations initiated by the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC). Ruohan Zhang is also highly recommended.
China Molybdenum Co., Ltd.
CMA CGM S.A.
Aluminium Corporation of China Limited (CHALCO)
Liaoning Northeast Asia Port and Shipping Development Co. LTD
Zhejiang Geely Luoyou Engine Co., Ltd., Aisin AW Co., Ltd.
- Advised China Molybdenum in the antitrust filing with SAMR regarding the acquisition of entire shares of Louis Dreyfus Company Metals, Next Goal and New China Capital Legend.
- Advised Glencore on the acquisition of Rio Tinto’s assets and the related merger control filings.
- Represented a major state-owned port company in responding to an investigation initiated by NDRC.
- Represented a technology sector client in responding to the investigations initiated by SAIC and NDRC.
T & D Associates
T & D Associates regularly work alongside international firms on the China-aspect of merger control filings relating to mega cross-border M&A transactions. Recent highlights include a large amount of merger filings and complex government investigations. John Ren is well regarded in the antitrust community, who has participated in the legislative process of the anti-monopoly law of China.
Zhong Lun Law Firm's antitrust team spans its Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou offices. The team's 'in-depth and accurate understanding of Chinese competition law and the ability to provide practical advice on China issues' have been highly recognised by international clients, which is evident from the firm's impressive client list that features Qualcomm, Thyssenkrupp, Warburg Pincus and Walmart. It covers the full range of antitrust matters, including merger control filings, cartel investigations, dawn raids, litigation and antitrust compliance. Guangzhou-based Baisha Zhang advised Shell in a high profile antitrust litigation brought by Shell's distributors and advised a number of clients including Anheuser-Busch InBev, Reckitt Benckiser, and Danone on establishing their compliance structure; Scott Yu and Frank Jiang represented Luxottica Group in SAMR's review of its merger with Essilor. Peng Wu, Yi Xue and Yuanchao Ma are also highly recommended.
Yan Zhou; Scott Yu; Scott Guan; Yi Xue; Baisha Zhang
Other key lawyers:
‘The competition team is able to respond to client’s needs in a timely manner‘.
‘The team is well-matched and can provide a variety of perspectives from strategic consulting to operational considerations. They stay alert and follow up on cutting-edge issues‘.
‘Yi Xue demonstrates an in-depth understanding of China’s competition law and the concerns of foreign legal counsel‘.
Shenzhen H&T Intelligent Control Co., Ltd.
Guangzhou Vanlead Group Co,. Ltd.
Shui Fa Zhong Xing Group
China Resources Snow Breweries Limited
SF Express Co., Ltd.
Orinko Advanced Plastics Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Pharmaceutical Holding Co., Ltd.
Sichuan Tianyi Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
Zhejiang Petroleum Co., Ltd.
- Represented Shell in an antitrust litigation initiated by Shell’s distributors.
- Successfully represented Luxottica in SAMR’s review of Luxottica and Essilor’s merger and the post-clearance commitment implementation.
- Advised Anheuser-Busch InBev in establishing its antitrust compliance programme.
- Represent LG Display in the merger filing of the setting up of new joint venture by LG Display and Guangzhou Kaide.
- Represented COFCO Property in SAMR’s review of its acquisition of equity of Joy City Property.
Dentons handles a steady flow of merger filings and has reported an increasing instructions in antitrust investigation and litigation. Jet Deng advised State Development & Investment on the merge filing related to its merger with China High-Speed Railway Technology; and Ken Dai successfully obtained merger clearance for Fosunpharma and Marubeni's establishment of a joint venture. Shilin Wei is also recommended.
Jet Deng; Ken Dai
China Electronics Technology Group Corporation
China Agriculture & Chemical Company
Nippon Electric Glass
SinoPharm Group Co., Ltd
China Air Transportation Association
China Chamber of International Commerce
W. L. Gore & Associates
THSC Investments Pte. Ltd.
China National Machinery EMP & EXP Corp
Pacific International Lines
Wilh. Wilhelmsen ASA
- Representing China Chamber of International Commerce in a US class action against a freight forwarding cartel to claim a potential compensation of millions of dollars.
- Advised SF Express with obtaining merger clearance of DHL in one of the largest M&A deals in the supply chain sector.
- Acted for the Chinese subsidiary of a multinational company on its antitrust audit and compliance issues.
- Advised a Chinese logistics company in antitrust litigation.
- Advised a manufacturing company in an antitrust investigation by SAMR.
Han Kun Law Offices' antitrust team works closely with its patent litigation and commercial litigation group on antitrust matters involving government investigation and litigation. Chen Ma has a wealth of experience handling China merger control filing, litigation, and cartel investigation, and Shanghai-based Yan Wang is an experienced litigator on IP protection and antitrust cases, particularly relating to standard essential patents (SEP) antitrust litigation cases in China and abroad, representing well-known international clients in the smartphone industry in connection with SEP antitrust litigation matters. Recent highlights include handling an abuse of market dominance dispute, a MOFCOM investigation relating to a high profile merger, and a steady flow of merger control filings.
Other key lawyers:
- Acted for Bayer in its China merger notification with MOFCOM in relation to its proposed acquisition of Monsanto Company.
- Advised Heineken in the merger notification for China Resources Snow Breweries’ acquisition of Heineken’s China business and Heineken’s purchase of 40% shares in CR Enterprise.
- Handled the antitrust aspects of Bain Capital Investors’s acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation.
- Advised Louis Dreyfus in its merger notification for its joint venture transaction with Haid.
- Advised SoftBank Group in its China merger notification in relation to the establishment of a joint venture between SoftBank Group and Toyota Motor Corporation.
Tian Yuan Law Firm's Wei Huang is particularly experienced in investigation and litigation, with experience in handling merger control filings and compliance matters. Huang is assisting Didi with the government investigation following its merger with Uber, and advised Wanda Film on the merger filings related to its acquisition of Wanda Film & Television Media. Fan Zhu and Guizhen Han are also recommended.
SK Hynix Semiconductor
Security & Knowledge Support Services
- Assisting Didi with the government investigation following its merger with Uber,
- Representing JD.com in its abuse of dominance dispute aganist TMall.com.
At AllBright Law Offices, Henry Ding focuses on intellectual property and competition law, and recently represented CDP Group in its unfair competition dispute against a IT company, and acted for clients from a broad range of sectors on their trade mark infringement and unfair competition litigation cases.
Shanghai Quanzhu Building Decoration Group Co., Ltd.
Oriental International Group
- Represented the Newell Group in a series of Parker’s trade mark infringement and unfair competition litigation cases.
- Represented LeetCode information technology (Shanghai) and Lingkou network (Shanghai) in responding to unfair competition disputes brought by Jiuzhang algorithm (Hangzhou) technology and Lanzhong technology (Beijing).
DaHui Lawyers' Jie Tong is praised for his 'solid competition knowledge', having worked at the MOFCOM for over a decade. Tong recently advised on merger control issues relating to the establishment of a joint venture, and assisted a Chinese e-commerce giant with merger control analysis, competition compliance, and antitrust risks assessment and mitigation.
China Mengniu Dairy Company Limited
CVC Capital Partners
Hernic Ferrochrome Proprietary Limited
Kuraray Co., Ltd
PTT Global Chemical Public company
Samancor Chrome Limited
DeHeng Law Offices' antitrust team is jointly led by Beijing-based Ding Liang and Brussells-based Frank Fine. It counts SOEs, government entities and large private companies as its clients which it advises on the full range of antitrust matters. Liang also notable experience of handling section 337 investigations conducted by the US International Trade Commission.
Ding Liang; Frank Fine
Hytera Communications Corporation Limited
Volkswagen (China) Investment Co., Ltd
SABIC (Shanghai) Trading Co. Ltd.
Chia Tai (China) Investment Co., Ltd
Changan Ford Mazda Engine Co., Ltd
Guangzhou Huaduo Network Technology Co., Ltd.
Shenzhen AOTO Electronics Co., Ltd.
- Representing Hytera Communications Corporation in abuse of dominance disputes against Motorola.
- Acting for Guangzhou Huaduo Network Technology in appealing in abuse of dominance disputes and unfair competition disputes with Netease.
- Handled the merger control filing related to Changan Ford Mazda Engine’s acquisition by Mazda Motor Corporation.
Leverage its joint operation with Baker McKenzie FenXun, FenXun Partners has been instructed on a number of merger control filings following big-ticket M&A and joint venture transactions. The team also advises on compliance issues. Zhi Bao has 'a profound legal foundation, strong comprehensive business capabilities, and direct integration of relevant laws'.
Client praise the firm’s ‘local experience and international perspective‘.
Platinum Equity Group
Toyota Financial Services Corporation
Sumitomo Mitsui Auto Service Company, Ltd.
Hino Motors, Ltd.
INEOS Styrolution APAC Pte. Ltd
Press Metal Bintulu Sdn. Bhd.
Agfa Graphics Asia Limited
- Acting for GE and Rosneft Oil Compnay on the merger filling regarding the establishment of the joint venture between the two companies.
- Advised Sumitomo Corporation on Chinese merger control issue in relation to its proposed acquisition of Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing Company.
- Advised Platinum Equity Group on Chinese merger control issue in relation to its proposed acquisition of LifeScan blood glucose monitoring business.
Global Law Office is singled out for its 'great responsiveness and deep understanding of SAMR proceedings'. Qing Ren is the 'go-to' person and handled a large number of major merger control filings. John Wan has 'a full understanding of Chinese and foreign anti-monopoly law, legislative dynamics, and key law enforcement issues' as well as 'notable expertise in the automotive industry' which 'enables him to give precise compliance advice'. Wan recently assisted a pharmaceutical company with an abuse of dominance litigation and advised on a number of anti-monopoly investigations. The team further strengthened its investigation and compliance capacity with the hire of Shujun Liu and Lili Wu from Fangda Partners in 2018.
Meinian Onehealth Healthcare (Group) Co., Ltd.
American Axle & Manufacturing
Jiangling Motors Co., Ltd.
CMST Development Co., Ltd Tianjin Xingang Branch
China Resources (Holdings) Co., Ltd.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation
Shenzhen Tongxing Automobile Trade Co., Ltd
- Advised China National Machinery Industry Corporation on the merger filing relating to its acquisition of China Hi-tech Group.
- Assisted Hony Capital and Fung Group with the merger filing related to their purchase of certain business of Li & Fung.
- Acted for CMST Development Tianjin Xingang Branch in dealing with anti-monopoly investigation from the anti-monopoly law enforcement authority.
- Assisted Jiangling Motors on anti-monopoly compliance issues.
- Advised Best Food Holding Company on its merger control filing relating to its acquisition of Beijing Xinladao.
Jincheng Tongda & Neal's practice spans the full range of antitrust work. Recent highlights saw the team advising pharmaceutical sector clients with the construction of their anti-monopoly compliance structure, and handling the merger review for Dongfang Electric relating to its share purchase of several related entities from its parent company Dongfang Electric Group. Within the team, Chen Yang and Xiaoqiang Qian assisted a consumer electronics company with an unfair competition dispute. Guodong Zhang is particularly noted for advising Japanese clients on competition matters.
Chen Yang; Guodong Zhang
Other key lawyers:
Dongfang Electric Co., Ltd.
Guizhou Jiulian Industrial Explosive Materials Development Co., Ltd.
China’s pharmaceutical industry, China’s insurance industry
Yunnan Yuxi Biological Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Llinks Law Offices regularly advises multinational and Chinese listed companies’ in merger filings for M&A deals and joint venture projects in various industries. The team also has expertise in handling unfair competition and infringement disputes. David Pan is a key name to note who handles a mix of merger filings and compliance issues.
David Yu; Nicholas Lou
Other key lawyers:
Shanghai Egoo Networks Co., Ltd.