The full-service TMT practice at Mundie e Advogados helps clients ‘navigate the extremely complex regulatory environment in Brazil’. The telecoms team balances a busy workload that features transactional, contentious and regulatory mandates on behalf of large foreign and domestic clients, including publicly held companies. Praised by clients for its ‘technical knowledge of regulatory issues’, the department acts for a varied client roster of heavyweights from the telecoms, financial services and technology sectors. Elinor Cotait is singled out for her in-depth knowledge of telecom regulations. Ana Claudia Beppu and Tomás Paiva ‘stand out in the sector’, and Beatriz Faustino França, who focuses on IT and communications law, is an ‘excellent analyst’. Enrico Spini Romanielo is another key member of the team. Since publication, Paiva has left the firm - effective February 2022.
TMT: Telecoms in Brazil
Elinor Cotait; Ana Claudia Beppu; Beatriz França; Enrico Romanielo; Tomás Paiva
‘Mundie’s TMT team is a reference in our sector. Always up to date and with innovative solutions. Ana Claudia Beppu and Tomás Paiva stand out in the sector. They are lawyers who are always up to date and possess strategic thinking.’
‘Mundie’s practice is truly unique, knowledgeable and very professional. The team has been assisting us with corporate and regulatory matters. Mundie helps us navigate the extremely complex regulatory environment in Brazil – including regulatory compliance, equipment type approval, tax law and corporate matters. Beatriz França is efficient, resourceful and knowledgeable.’
‘Knowledgeable, efficient, effective and great rapport with. The more I work with them, the more I appreciate their talents and abilities.’
‘Mundie provides a great depth of bench for our issues. They help with top-level lobbying, as well as the work of monitoring regulatory issues, engaging stakeholders, and drafting inputs for a variety of processes. There’s rarely a question they don’t have a good answer for, and when that arises, they are able to do quick but thorough research.’
‘Beatriz França is an excellent analyst and writer. She’s also very creative and solution oriented.’
‘It stands out for the level of technical excellence of its partners and lawyers, who are constantly updated in the areas of administrative, competition and digital law. The availability and attention to clients, and the search for robust legal solutions make the firm stand out in the market. I commend, especially among a remarkable team, the partners Elinor Cotait and Ana Cláudia Beppu for their technical skills and professional attitude.’
‘It has lawyers with the highest level of technical knowledge of regulatory issues in the country. Professionals with excellent communication skills.’
‘Elinor Cotai and Ana Claudia Beppu stand out for their knowledge, attitude, objectivity and precision.’
- Provided assistance to AT&T regarding regulatory clearance at ANATEL for WarnerMedia’s takeover by AT&T.
- Assisted TIM in administrative proceedings aiming at postponing the right to use the spectrum (bands A and B) for purposes of providing mobile telecommunications services in view of the newest Brazilian legislation that admits successive extensions of such right.
- Assists Viasat in a range of matters, including landing rights in Brazil for its foreign satellite operation and negotiations with ANATEL.
The telecoms team at Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados demonstrates particular strength in regulatory issues, and is frequently sought by telecoms operators and technology clients in the context of negotiations with regulatory agency ANATEL. In light of the firm's prominence in public law, the team also offers representation to concessionaires, associations and telecoms corporations in litigation and administrative proceedings. Eduardo Augusto de Oliveira Ramires is one of the main points of contact for technology clients, particularly satellite companies, seeking advice on regulatory issues. Fellow practice head Floriano De Azevedo Marques Neto is a reference in the market. Milene Louise Renée Coscione 'has in-depth knowledge of the sector'; she specialises in the telecoms and technology segments.
Eduardo Augusto de Oliveira Ramires; Floriano de Azevedo Marques Neto
‘The office demonstrated full mastery of the subjects, which was essential to help the company’s decision-making process and the success of the transactions.’
‘Milene Louise Renée Coscione has in-depth knowledge of the sector.’
Sindisat (Sindicato Nacional das Empresas de Telecomunicações por Satélite)
Towerco Latam Brasil
Conexis Brasil Digital
Acel (Associação Nacional das Operadoras de Celulares)
- Provides legal advice to Claro on various telecoms matters, including the acquisition of Oi’s mobile operation.
- Advising Telefonica on the analysis of the economic and financial rebalancing claim of the STFC (Public Switched Telephony Network).
- Advised Sindisat (Sindicato Nacional das Empresas de Telecomunicações por Satélite) on ANATEL’s public consultation regarding the 5G auction.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados' recent workload testifies to its strength in assisting foreign telecoms companies looking to establish operations in Brazil, as well as clients from other sectors seeking to expand activities towards the offering of telecoms-related services. The firm's broad offering not only includes significant transactions and administrative litigation in the telecoms sector, but also covers strategic projects, commercial agreements, public bids and regulatory matters. Fabio Ferreira Kujawski stands out for his specialist knowledge of telecoms and technology issues; his notable areas of expertise include matters pertaining to fixed and mobile telephony, data transmission, broadcasting, satellites and submarine cables. Lisa Worcman is a key contact for issues before the Brazilian telecoms regulatory agency ANATEL. Senior associate Thays Castaldi Gentil is another name to note in the TMT practice, who combines experience in telecoms regulations, M&A and administrative litigation.
‘Legal excellence; knowledge of the clients’ market/industry; technical capacity of lawyers; client-focused and commercial results.’
‘Fabio Ferreira Kujawski possesses a high degree of technical and regulatory knowledge of the telecoms and technology markets.’
China Telecom (Americas)
China Telecom do Brasil
IBM Brasil – Indústria Máquinas e Serviços
Plintron do Brasil Participações e Investimentos
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)
Desktop Internet Services
Amazon Web Services
- Retained by Telefonica for assistance in the competitive process for acquiring 100% of shares of Copel Telecomunicações.
- Retained by Seaborn Networks to render legal assistance regarding the Seabras Brasil-1 indirect transfer of control.
- Retained by Twilio to render consulting legal advice on telecoms regulatory affairs regarding the analysis of products and solutions involving VOIP, MVNO, Short Number, PSTN, etc.
Pereira Neto | Macedo
With 'exceptional technical competence in the telecoms sector', Pereira Neto | Macedo is skilled at providing advice to clients in all sub-segments of the market, demonstrating particular strength in regulatory issues and administrative litigation. Public procurement and antitrust matters are other notable areas of practice for the department, which also has expertise across net neutrality, data protection, concessions and remodelling of telecoms regulations, among other areas. Caio Mario Da Silva Pereira Neto has a wealth of experience in regulatory and antitrust matters involving telecoms companies. Mateus Piva Adami is singled out for his work pertaining to administrative proceedings. Daniel Tinoco Douek - who is proficient in regulatory, competition and administrative law - is an 'excellent professional'.
Caio Mario Da Silva Pereira Neto; Mateus Piva Adami; Daniel Tinoco Douek
‘The team demonstrates exceptional technical competence in the telecoms sector.’
‘Daniel Douek is an excellent professional. He is always available to assist us.’
Associação Brasileira de Emissoras de Rádio e Televisão
SASCAR Tecnologia e Segurança Automotiva
Organizações Globo Participações
Câmara Brasileira de Comércio Eletrônico
- Retained by Oi as the chief regulatory advisor for the restructuring of Oi Group’s debt, which resulted in the filing of the largest ever judicial recovery procedure in Brazil.
- Retained by ABERT to issue a legal opinion on the applicability of Law No. 12,485/2011 (that regulates Pay-TV services) to over-the-top (OTT) services, in an administrative complaint filed by Claro before ANATEL.
- Continues to provide Oi with legal advice and assistance on a range of strategic administrative procedures before the National Telecommunications Agency and the National Secretariat for Consumers (Senacon).
KLA Advogados offers a wide range of services pertaining to the telecoms sector, including representation before regulatory agencies and compliance matters involving telecoms, broadcasting and satellites. The team - which has been particularly active in transactional matters - is jointly led by Karin Alvo and Guilherme Ieno. Ieno is sought by satellite and broadcasting clients in relation to the negotiation of regulated agreements and other regulatory issues, and Alvo has a solid background in corporate matters and M&A deals.
Guilherme Ieno; Karin Alvo
Seabras 1 Brasil
- Assisted Hughes on its joint venture with Yahsat, focused on broadband in Brazil.
- Advised Century Link / Level 3 on the merger of its activities and Brazilian operations as well as its corporate restructuring.
- Advised IPG Photonics on the purchase of the submarine networks division (SND) of Padtec.
Lefosse Advogados is proficient in regulatory, commercial and transactional matters connected to telecoms services and products. Covering all segments of traditional and new markets and various technologies, the practice possesses comprehensive knowledge of matters pertaining to submarine cables and optical fibres, telecom tower companies, satellites and Internet of Things (IoT) projects. Key areas of activity for the team include advising on regulatory approvals for emerging technologies, licensing matters, compliance with telecoms regulations, and M&A. Well-regarded department leader Eduardo Carvalhaes specialises in regulated sectors and is a key practitioner in public procurement and administrative law-related issues.
‘Under the leadership of Eduardo Carvalhaes (who has longstanding experience in the telecoms market), they carried out due diligence, helped in the regulatory structuring and carried out several risk assessments of complex operations involving telecommunication operators.’
‘Eduardo Carvalhaes is attentive and approaches legal issues with a good sense of reality and taking into account client’s business interests.’
ABRINTEL – Associação Brasileira de Infraestrutura para Telecomunicações
Turner International Latin America
- Assisting American Tower in an Internet of Things (IoT) project to protect telecommunications equipment.
- Acts as counsel to American Tower in the public consultation related to the privatisation of Copel Telecom.
- Assisting Vero in the negotiations with the energy distribution company CEMIG regarding a contract for sharing of electricity distribution poles to connect Vero’s telecoms system.
Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados
Praised for its 'deep and detailed knowledge of telecommunications regulation', Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados is consistently engaged on administrative disputes before regulatory agencies and judicial litigation against ANATEL on behalf of Brazilian and foreign clients. Ticiane Moraes Franco - who was promoted to partner in September 2020 - has considerable experience in regulatory matters, project risk analysis and litigation before courts and administrative bodies. She leads the department with Rodrigo Azevedo Greco, who has dedicated his practice to the telecoms sector for over 20 years, and Maria João Rolim, who specialises in regulated markets.
Ticiane Moraes Franco; Rodrigo Azevedo Greco; Maria João Rolim
‘Rolim Viotti has a deep and detailed knowledge of telecommunications regulation. They know the fundamentals of the rules and are able to articulate very consistent theses and legal paths in the defense of the company’s rights, particularly with regard to administrative litigation before ANATEL.’
‘Ticiane Moraes Franco and Rodrigo Greco are always up to date and maintain a very rich and productive work dynamic. Both understand the details of the regulation and are able to identify issues and come up with interesting solutions.’
Grupo América Móvil
Hughes Telecomunicações do Brasil
TELCOMP (Associação Brasileira das Prestadoras de Serviços de Telecomunicações Competitivas)
Huawei do Brasil Telecomunicações
Grupo Integração Minas
Decision Analysis Partners
- Assisted Claro in an investigation conducted by the Ministry of Justice (Senacon) involving the electric power interruption that affected Amapá state in October and November 2020, and its reflection on the telecommunications sector and operators.
- Represents Telefonica in a lawsuit against ANATEL in order concerning a bid held in 2014 by ANATEL to operate in the 700MHz radiofrequency.
- Represents Oi, Algar and Sercomtel in individual lawsuits against ANATEL challenging the legality and constitutionality of ANATEL’s blockage to its station licensing system.
With a strong track record in transactional work involving the telecoms sector, TozziniFreire Advogados attracts instructions from longstanding clients as well as new entrants to the Brazilian market. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman, who excels in telecoms and technology-related matters, oversees the practice. Mariana Del Nero Cornibert da Barrosa is another key individual, whose areas of core activity include corporate and partnership agreements within regulated sectors, most notably telecommunications. Associate Felipe Borges Lacerda Loiola is no longer at the firm.
Marcela Waksman Ejnisman
- Advising Ford Motors Brazil on several telecom regulatory matters in connection with the structuring of its Ford Connected Car project.
- Assisted Zenvia Mobile Serviços Digitais in several lawsuits against telecoms providers.
- Provided assistance to Viasat in the provision of in-flight connectivity services to Azul Linhas Aéreas.