Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados is able to handle the full range of public law issues; the practice has a strong track record in public bids, privatisations, concessions, complex public-private arrangements (PPPs) and administrative proceedings before federal regulatory bodies. Other notable areas of practice include judicial litigation and administrative improbity cases. Mauro Bardawil Penteado, who specialises in public law and projects, oversees the department with José Enei, whose areas of focus include PPPs and concessions. Lucas Sant’Anna is noted for his deep knowledge of regulatory matters, particularly involving the sanitation, airports, railways, highways and transport sectors. Rafael Vanzella is completely devoted to public law, and is proficient in public tenders, concessions and administrative agreements.
Public law in Brazil
‘Machado Meyer’s team is a fully dedicated team engaged in present to the company the best solutions for our problems. The vision of the team is not limited or made with just one point of view. Their concern in understand all the implications and consequences for our shareholders and stakeholders put the law firm in the top of the list, transforming their delivery not only in a legal product, but in a complete analysis of the situation.‘
‘Lucas Sant’Anna expertise is essencial for the company when considering work with Machado Meyer. His knowledge of the theory, and his experience with the sector is very important for the support that the company needs.’
B3 (Bolsa, Balcão, Brasil)
Caixa Econômica Federal – CEF
Governo do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul/BNDES
International Finance Corporation
- Defended Viasat Brasil, whose partnership with Telebrás for the management of a geostationary satellite was challenged in the TCU and in other courts.
- Assisted Transo Combustíveis in an administrative improbity claim.
- Represented Cabify Agência de Serviços de Transporte de Passageiros in an unconstitutionality claim before the STF, involving municipal regulations that prohibited or restricted individual transportation services provided by private drivers.
- Represented Yellow Soluções de Mobilidade and Grin Mobilidade in two connected claims contesting the Decree issued by the municipality of São Paulo, which provisionally regulates self-propelled electric scooters sharing services in the streets of São Paulo.
- Assisted Ambiental Transportes Urbanos, RVtrans Transporte Urbano and Transppass Transporte de Passageiros in all stages of the bidding process for the concession of public bus transportation in São Paulo.
With a well-established reputation in the public law market, Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados' specialised team receives instructions from private and public entities concerning the entire spectrum of public law matters. The practice excels in assisting with large commercial ventures, including concessions, PPPs and other contractual issues, involving a wide array of sectors, namely airports, roads, railways, logistics and sanitation. Judicial proceedings, as well as arbitration and mediation, are some of Floriano De Azevedo Marques Neto's areas of focus. Marcos Augusto Perez is experienced in representing municipalities in issues pertaining to financial laws, and private and public clients in administrative and bid contracts.
Brink´s Segurança e Transporte de Valores
Ferrero do Brasil Indústria Doceira e Alimentar
Grupo JSL / CS Brasil
SEDUR – Secretaria de Desenvolvimento Urbano do Governo do Estado da Bahia / CTB Companhia de Transporte da Bahia
Consórcio Monotrilho Integração (Andrade Gutierrez, CR Almeida, Scomi e MPE Engenharia)
Construtora Sanches Tripoloni
SPGG-RS. Secretaria de Planejamento, Governança e Gestão do Rio Grande do Sul
ABTV – Associação Brasileira das empresas de Trransportes de Valores
Fluídra Brasil Indústria e Comércio
Concessionária de Rodovias TEBE
Castilho Engenharia e Empreendimentos
Pérola Terminal de Granéis
- Successfully defended Ferrero do Brasil Indústria Doceira e Alimentar in an administrative sanctioning process under the Anti-Corruption Law, opened by Anvisa.
- Represented Grupo JSL/CS Brasil in a misconduct lawsuit filed by the city of Arujá.
- Provided consultancy and legal advice to SEDUR/CTB Companhia de Transporte da Bahia in relation to the Salvador monorail project, which involved the preparation of the project’s financing structure, public notice, concession contract and other matters.
- Advised Consórcio Monotrilho Integração on the termination litigation and economic-financial re-balancing lawsuits related to the São Paulo monorail.
- Represented Estúdios Paulínia in interlocutory appeals filed concerning certain decisions rendered in the context of a public civil action.
Pereira Neto | Macedo
The public law and regulation team at Pereira Neto | Macedo offers legal support to clients in public contracts, public procurement and administrative proceedings before regulatory authorities. The practice has a strong background in litigation and extensive experience in infrastructure projects. Assisting foreign engineering and construction companies in their participation in public tenders is a recent field of focus for the department. Caio Mario da Silva Pereira Neto combines regulatory and competition law expertise, and has thorough knowledge of the telecoms sector, while Mateus Piva Adami and Daniel Tinoco Douek are active in public law, media and technology matters. Administrative and judicial proceedings are areas of expertise for Joaquim Nogueira Porto Moraes.
Rumo Malha Paulista
Syngenta Proteção de Cultivos
Progress Rail Services
Empresa de Ônibus Pássaro Marron
Mathema Assessoria e Acompanhamento Escolar
Concessão Metroviária do Rio de Janeiro – MetrôRio
Águas do Mirante
- Actively dealing with strategic matters regarding the extension of one of Rumo’s railway concession contracts with the sector’s regulatory agency, the National Agency of Land Transportation (ANTT).
- Represents Braskem in all judicial disputes concerning its operation in the Port of Aratu.
- Represents Serveng Civilsan and Galvão Engenharia in a civil lawsuit for misconduct presented by the São Paulo State Prosecutor’s Office.
- Acts for Pássaro Marron in four lawsuits before the federal courts of São Paulo and Brasília on the economic and financial balance of a contract with Infraero.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Siqueira Castro – Advogados fields a specialised team, which is proficient in handling public law implications in the context of administrative proceedings, regulatory issues and infrastructure projects. The group, which has the ability to assist clients across the entire country, demonstrates experience in different sectors, including energy, oil and gas, transportation, telecoms and real estate. Notable areas of practice include assisting with public tenders, PPPs, government contracts and litigation and arbitration procedures. Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro stands out for his extensive background in constitutional, administrative and regulatory law, and leads the team. Renata de Abreu Martins specialises in public law matters, and Thiago de Oliveira is often retained to act before regulatory entities at the federal level.
Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide
Aena Desarrollo Internacional SME
CEG Rio and CEG – Companhia Distribuidora de Gás Do Rio de Janeiro
Nacional Gás Butano
Operador Nacional do Sistema (ONS)
- Advised Fraport in relation to the fourth and fifth round of biddings for the concession of Brazilian regional airports.
- Advising AENA DESARROLLO INTERNACIONAL on the regulatory obligations related to the signing of the concession agreement of the Northeast Cluster, comprising several airports.
- Advises CEG and CEG RIO before the State of Rio de Janeiro regulatory agency (AGENERSA) in strategic matters related to their main investments in Brazil.
- Retained by PROLAGOS to provide legal assistance and representation before AGENERSA.
TozziniFreire Advogados is skilled at advising domestic and international clients across a variety of public law matters, ranging from infrastructure and privatisation projects to procurement procedures. The team assists with the structuring of PPPs, concessions, supply of equipment and the provision of services, and has seen recent growth in the area of compliance in relation to public procurement matters. Litigation and administrative proceedings also feature on the department's portfolio. Leading the practice is Claudia Elena Bonelli, whose experience covers management of public-private relations and infrastructure projects. José Augusto de Castro specialises in government contracts and administrative law. A team of four lawyers including Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho left for BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão.
‘Tozzini has excellent local knowledge and lawyers are extremely supportive. They are very responsive and provide great advice.’
‘José Augusto Dias de Castro has been excellent. Extremely knowledgeable and responsive.’
ADP International – Aéroports de Paris International
Mitsui Gás e Energia do Brasil
Localfrio Armazéns Gerais Friogoríficos
Uberluz Energética and Caraguá Luz
- Assisted ADP – AÉROPORTS DE PARIS INTERNATIONAL in its participation in the public tender carried out by the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC) for the fifth round of airport concessions.
- Assisting Citéluz Serviços de Iluminação Urbana in administrative proceedings pending before Espirito Santo State Court of Audits.
- Providing legal assistance to a group of companies that operate port terminals in order to request the annulment of the Normative Resolution No. 34/2019 by the Waterway Transportation Agency (ANTAQ).
- Responsible for the legal and institutional studies within Consortium Pró-TL, which has the goal of redesigning the entire regulatory framework of transportation in the São Paulo city area.
Azevedo Sette Advogados attracts mandates from private companies operating in the mining, construction and telecoms sectors, among others. Its diverse client base seeks the team's advice on bidding procedures, concessions, regulations, as well as PPPs, privatisations and administrative proceedings. Frederico Bopp Dieterich and Leonardo Moreira Costa de Souza are key practitioners in the public law department.
Demarest Advogados assists private companies looking to do business with federal, state and local governments. Apart from advising throughout the public procurement stage, including handling competitive bids, the team is adept at assisting with concession agreements, PPP models and administrative contracts pertaining to project development. The lawyers are also well versed in administrative, judicial and arbitration proceedings involving public law matters. Bruno Aurélio, whose fields of expertise include government projects and public contracts, is now overseeing the department following the departure of the two previous practice heads André Luiz Freire and Renato Poltronieri, who joined Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados and NHMF Advogados, respectively. Renan Sona Silva is noted for his experience representing companies before regulatory agencies, and in privatisation processes and concession projects in a range of industries; Silva recently joined from Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown.
‘The most important is the attention paid by lawyers to us and our lawsuit. Meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations.‘
‘The lawyer who attends us is Bruno Aurélio and he is very sharp, objective and makes us comfortable and safe.‘
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Socicam Administração, Projetos e Representações
American Tower do Brasil – Internet das Coisas
Ecorodovias Concessões e Serviços
AENA Desarrollo Internacional SME
Alstom Brasil Energia e Transporte
- Advising AENA Desarollo Internacional SME on a bidding process carried out by ANAC (the National Civil Aviation Agency) involving the concession of 12 federal airports in the Northeast, Midwest and Southeast regions.
- Represents Consortium Smart Luz on the public bid carried out the municipality of Rio de Janeiro for the expansion, modernisation, operation and maintenance of the public lighting system in the city.
- Representing Socicam on the international public bid for the administrative concession of public services related to bus terminals linked to São Paulo’s urban transport system.
Felsberg Advogados is able to guide clients through bidding procedures, advising them on the review of proposals, as well as on the filing of administrative appeals and judicial challenges. Assisting with the execution of public contracts, requesting the extension of government contracts, and representing clients before federal, state and local courts are among the regular instructions for the department, which is led by Marianne Albers. Albers brings together experience in public law and life sciences. Public service concessions and PPPs are key strengths for Rodrigo Bertoccelli, while Felipe Cesar Lourenço is noted for administrative contracts.
Cummins do Brasil
Hospital das Clínicas de São Paulo
Máquina de Notícias
- Advised China Railway 20 Bureau Group and CCCC – China Communications Construction Company in the public consultation for the sponsored concession PPP to construct and operate the Salvador-Itaparica Bridge.
- Assisted BNDES in the development of a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services in the state of Alagoas.
- Advised GPA, the first Brazilian public-private penitentiary complex (CPPP) in relation to a PPP for the construction of five prison units.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados has longstanding experience managing interactions between private companies and public entities. It regularly assists domestic and international clients navigating legal intricacies in public tenders, PPPs, concessions and administrative proceedings. Part of the team is based in Brasília, enabling the lawyers to assist clients with negotiations with public authorities and regulatory agencies. The team has recently been active in matters relating to logistics and public lighting projects, as well as airport concessions. The public law group was boosted following the arrival of André Luiz Freire, who demonstrates solid experience in public procurement matters and bidding procedures. Thiago Luís Sombra's areas of interest include litigation and privatisation matters. Bruno Werneck recently departed for Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown.
‘Great knowledge of legislation and administrative protocols, rules procedures and integration with other practice areas with cross-work as a true full-service integrated team.’
‘Remarkable team. Two partners call our attention: André Freire and Thiago Luís Sombra.’
‘Mattos Filho has a top-notch team. They have recently added André Luiz Freire to the team, who is an outstanding professional, one of the best experts in the public law field. André Luiz Freire is definitely a great acquisition. He combines extensive experience in public and infrastructure law with an outstanding academic profile.’
‘Partner Thiago Luís Santos Sombra has helped enormously in public law engagements.’
Associação Brasileira de Infraestrutura e Indústrias de Base – ABDIB
Aena Desarrollo Internacional S.M.E.
BRK Ambiental Participações
Chubb Seguros Brasil
Enel X Brasil
Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
IBM Indústria Máquinas e Serviços
Supervia Concessionária de Transporte Ferroviário
Trident Energy Enchova
- Advised ABDIB – Associação Brasileira da Infraestrutura e Indústrias de Base on the analysis of a certain state law and on the possibility of joining an ongoing direct proceeding of unconstitutionality against the law as amicus curiae.
- Assisting Aena Desarrollo Internacional with public law, regulatory and corporate issues regarding the concession agreement for six federal airports, all located in the Northeast, for the next 30 years.
- Assisted BRK Ambiental Participações with the analysis of the legal alternatives to execute strategic partnerships with municipalities of the State of São Paulo, with the purpose to provide water supply and sewage services.
With a stellar reputation in the public law market, Sundfeld Advogados excels in administrative proceedings and regulatory matters. Government contracts and public procurement procedures are some of its core areas of practice. Public law experts Carlos Ari Sundfeld and Vera Monteiro are the names to note.
The public law practice at Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown undertakes the gamut of public law work, advising private clients on public bids, concession agreements and PPP structures. The team also offers representation to clients in litigation matters involving public administration issues, covering the judicial, arbitration and administrative spheres. Bruno Werneck recently joined from Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados, and is now heading the department. Werneck focuses on project development, as well as PPPs and regulatory matters. Bruno Aurélio and Renan Sona Silva are now at Demarest Advogados. Since publication, in June 2021 Mario Saadi left the firm.
‘Tauil & Chequer is a truly full-service law firm in Brazil and we have had several discussions with them, including issues connected with tax law in Brazil, litigation before the Federal Supreme Court and to discuss regulation matters, as well as in relation to infrastructure segments. Partners and associates are always available and responsive.’
‘Bruno Werneck has substantial experience assisting clients in regulatory matters, project finance, and negotiations in general. He has deep experience in cross-border deals and we always rely on him to discuss sensitive matters.’
‘Excellent time of response and availability. When discussing technical issues, they are humble and eager to listen to other perspectives to have a meaningful discussion.’
‘Bruno Werneck is knowledgeable and has broad experience in the area of infrastructure, gas and oil.’
Associação Da Renovação Do Mercado Municipal Paulistano – Associação Renome
Vinci Airports – Concessionária Do Aeroporto De Salvador
Companhia Paulista De Desenvolvimento – Cpd
Ellen Macarthur Foundation – Emf
Edlp – Estação Da Luz Participações
- Assisted Fundação Ezute in preparing the legal feasibility studies for the concession of water and sewage services by the Municipality of Pomerode, State of Santa Catarina.
- Assisted Concessionária Do Aeroporto De Salvador in several discussions concerning expropriations measures that are necessary for the implementation of a new runway in the airport area.
- Advised BNDES on the preliminary bid phase for the structuring of a public lighting PPP model for the Municipality of Caruaru.
Tojal Renault Advogados
The public law team at Tojal Renault Advogados predominantly handles public law matters pertaining to infrastructure, logistics and transportation. Regular work involves assisting clients with bids, administrative agreements, regulatory issues and administrative proceedings related to the fulfilment of contractual obligations and financial rebalancing. Other key areas of strength for the department includes acting for public service concessionaires responsible for highway administration, and representing clients in negotiations of agreements with state authorities. Practice head Sebastião Botto de Barros Tojal has in-depth knowledge of leniency agreements. Jorge Henrique de Oliveira Souza and Sérgio Rabello Tamm Renault are other practitioners to note.
‘Tojal Renault law firm provides legal services related to regulatory and administrative law issues. This law firm is highly recognised for its expertise in regulatory issues. We believe that Tojal Renault stands out for the quality of its partners and associates and the firm’s commitment to the client’s projects.’
‘Its commitment to the client’s projects is fantastic. We can highlight Jorge Henrique de Oliveira Souza for his consistent deliveries to the company over the years.’
‘Competent professionals who are dedicated, available and provide great legal advice.’
Empresa Brasileira de Terminais e Armazéns Gerais
Câmara de Comércio de Energia Elétrica (CCEE)
NST Terminais e Logística
Santos Brasil Participações
Sociedade Rural Brasileira
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Companhia Energética de São Paulo – CESP
Companhia Brasileiro de Alumínio – CBA
- Providing advisory services to Empresa Brasileira de Terminais e Armazéns Gerais – EBT to enable its participation in an auction by ANTAQ.
- Retained by Câmara de Comércio de Energia Elétrica-CCEE to prepare a defence in a lawsuit filed by Centrais Elétrica de Rondônia.
- Representing Sociedade Rural Brasileira with an appeal against an injunction from the Supreme Court that authorised the purchase of rural properties by Brazilian companies with foreign capital.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe not only demonstrates strength in handling transactions in highly regulated areas, but is also adept at advising clients in negotiations with governmental entities in the context of regulatory matters. Administrative and judicial disputes involving the public administration and state-controlled companies also feature in the team's portfolio. José Roberto Martins is experienced in privatisations and concessions, while Danielle Valois focuses on public law and compliance, with a special emphasis on the oil and gas industry. Heloisa Uelze's areas of practice include regulation, government affairs and infrastructure projects. Henrique Frizzo stands out for his track record in public procurement matters.
‘The team has a large experience in our sector and with Brazilian Procurement Law.’
‘Henrique Frizzo is recommended.’
Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Higiene Pessoal, Perfumaria e Cosméticos – ABIHPEC
Conselho Curador dos Honorários Advocatícios – CCHA
Bridgestone do Brasil
Air Liquide do Brasil
Brasil Terminal Portuário – BTP
- Assisted Eutelsat, which is responsible for the operation of Satellite Amazonas-2, in successfully conducting a claim before ANATEL seeking that Telesat operate its satellite on acceptable parameters and causing the minimum impact on Eutelsat.
- Representing Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Higiene Pessoal, Perfumaria e Cosméticos (ABIHPEC) in a direct unconstitutionality action before the Supreme Court which challenges two bills that forbid animal testing for cosmetic, hygiene, perfumes and cleaning products and also selling animal tested products.
- Representing Conselho Curador dos Honorários Advocatícios (CCHA) in several lawsuits proceeding before the Federal Court of Accounts and a constitutional lawsuit filed before the Federal Supreme Court.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão brings extensive experience in infrastructure, regulatory matters and government affairs. The team is often retained to advise on government contracting procedures, PPPs and concessions, and also fields the ability to represent clients before municipal, state and federal regulatory entities in administrative proceedings and judicial reviews. In addition, the practice is proficient in administrative misconduct cases, and regularly handles transactions taking place in highly regulated markets, including energy, telecoms, transportation, healthcare, logistics and sanitation. José Guilherme Berman shares the department's leadership with Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho, who recently joined with a team of lawyers from TozziniFreire Advogados. Eduardo Hayden Carvalhaes is now a practitioner at Lefosse Advogados.
‘Providing unique insights, creating competitive advantages and understanding the business.’
‘Extensive technical knowledge and network in the public space, especially concessions, putting them in the loop of what is being discussed.’
‘Ana Cândida de Mello is an experienced professional, proactive, business understanding, adding value to the commercial project.’
‘Ana Cândida is the point of reference. She has a can-do attitude looking both at the legal and business side of the problem, searching for doable solutions. Easy access at all levels.’
Zurich Airport Latin American
IGT GLOBAL SERVICES LIMITED
Ciclus Ambiental do Brasil
Consórcio Intersul de Transportes / Consórcio Santa Cruz de Transportes
IRB – Instituto de Resseguros do Brasil
Jerônimo da Veiga Empreendimentos e Participações
- Handles the defence of Eletrobras in an administrative procedure filed by the Brazilian Electricity Regulatory Agency.
- Assisting Consórcio Intersul and Consórcio Santa Cruz de Transportes in different lawsuits against the municipality of Rio de Janeiro involving the increase of a certain tax rate.
Fialho Salles Advogados
The public law team at Fialho Salles Advogados provides legal assistance in relation to PPPs, government concessions and regulatory issues. The department's expertise covers a range of infrastructure projects in the sanitation, transportation and energy sectors, among others. Litigation and administrative proceedings involving public tenders and contractual issues are other areas of activity for the team, which is jointly headed by administrative law expert Érico Andrade and Gustavo Magalhães, whose legal knowledge encompasses regulatory and infrastructure matters. Anderson Novais is another key practitioner, who often advises on financial re-balance claims, infrastructure agreements and penalties arising from public contracts.
‘The team’s professionalism makes Fialho Salles stand out in the market. Lawyers handle sensitive matters with an objective approach, guiding clients in the decision-making process. The team is always available.’
‘Lawyers analyse matters thoroughly and understand clients’ business needs. Gustavo Magalhães, Gustavo Uchivama and André Villani provide constant and objective feedback/advice.’
‘The team is used to working in a very challenging environment, that constantly changes. They respond very promptly and effectively to those challenges. They are all very professional and well prepared to address their customers necessities, even if their solicitation is outside the scope of their contract. They are very committed to helping their clients.’
‘The professionals are all very well prepared, thoughtful, agile, informed, and they are always at their clients disposal.’
Canopus Construções e Empreendimentos
Empresa Construtora Brasil and Consita Tratamento de Resíduos
Construtora Barbosa Mello and Barbosa Mello Participações e Investimentos
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
Concessionária BR-040 (OAS Group)
Uber do Brasil Tecnologia
- Provided legal assistance to Zelo Group regarding the analysis of regulatory risks involving the concession of the main cemetery in Belo Horizonte.
- Provides legal advice to PPP Habitacional Lote 1 on the contractual administration involving the client’s PPP contract for social housing and popular market building in São Paulo.
Giamundo Neto Advogados stands out for its strong track record in public law matters involving the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU) and administrative litigation. Furthermore, the practice is active in assisting with PPPs, administrative improbity proceedings, public bids, privatisations and large-scale infrastructure projects. The department's client portfolio predominantly features private companies operating in the construction, water, sanitation, healthcare and engineering sectors. Public law expert Giuseppe Giamundo Neto, who handles both litigation and non-contentious matters, oversees the team alongside Camillo Giamundo, who is noted for public procurement and infrastructure matters.
‘The firm has proved to be a great partner, with competent and well-prepared professionals to assist in the most complex demands that my company has faced, with personalised and dedicated services, which sets it apart from other law firms, especially in public law.’
‘The law firm Giamundo Neto has excellent professionals and is able to maintain an optimal standard of service. They are very available, experienced and specialised in public law.’
‘Camillo Giamundo provides intelligent solutions to the complex problems we face in public law. His dedication, his capacity for dialogue with the authorities, the detailed study of the data, the security he gave us and the personalised and dedicated services are second to none.’
‘Giuseppe Giamundo Neto is a prominent professional in the market. He is agile, prepared, experienced and business oriented. Camillo Giamundo is very dedicated to cases. He is always available and quick in the answers provided.’
‘The Giamundo Neto team is very committed and capable. Giuseppe Giamundo Neto has extensive experience in public law. He has assisted the main infrastructure companies in the country for years and is today a major reference in the area. Camillo is extremely dedicated and creative in the legal solutions he proposes.’
‘The firm is well-renowned for his deep knowledge of public law. Giuseppe Giamundo Neto is a very skilled negotiator and a business-oriented lawyer.’
‘Agility and knowledge of our infrastructure and public law business .Expertise in the segment of public law and infrastructure, with differentiated and fast service involving subjects of great complexity. Giuseppe Giamundo and Camillo Giamundo are recommended.’
Energia Sustentável do Brasil
Camargo Correa Infra Construções
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
Somague Engenharia do Brasil
Mendes Júnior Trading e Engenharia
Carioca Christiani-Nielsen Engenharia
BRK Ambiental Participações
Circuito de Compras São Paulo SPE
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
TAG – Transportadora Associada de Gás
Engie Brasil Participações
Ponta dos Ganchos Empreendimentos Turísticos
- Defended Circuito de Compras São Paulo in an administrative claim filed to halt the execution of construction related to the concession agreement for the Feira da Madrugada, the largest mass-market shopping facility in Latin America.
- Representing Engie Brasil Participações in a class action claim filed against it and Petrobras in order to suspend the acquisition of TAG, a gas transport company.
International and domestic clients from both the private and public sectors seek Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini Advogados's advice on public law matters, which is a core field of activity for the firm. Its broad experience covers infrastructure projects, public procurement, government contracts, concessions and PPPs. Dispute resolution is another area of expertise. Fernão Justen de Oliveira focuses on commercial and administrative law. Alexandre Wagner Nester is skilled in infrastructure matters and related arbitration, while Marçal Justen Neto is also proficient in energy and waste management regulation.
‘In my opinion, at Justen Advogados the gap between the partners (senior lawyers) and the junior lawyers (who are in the field dealing with the day-to-day issues) is much smaller then in other firms. The junior lawyers are well prepared to take on responsibilities and are also very interested in learning from the client everything they can about the case and about the field involved in each particular matter.’
‘Knowledge and expertise in public law practice. Active participation of the partners and senior associates on the job. Ability to hear and, thereafter, design and construct solutions together with the in-house lawyer, in line with the company’s goals.’
‘The law firm advises us on administrative legal matters, offering services with total reliability, objectivity, ethics and transparency. The legal team demonstrates sufficient technical and legal knowledge to provide us with total security on matters.’
‘The lawyers work in strict compliance with the stipulated deadlines.’
‘Marçal Justen Neto, Alexandre Wagner Nester, André Guskow Cardoso and Karlin Olbertz Niebuhr are always available.’
‘Alexandre Nester is recommended.’
Arrow ECS Brasil
Ultramed Distribuidora de Medicamentos
Call Tecnologia e Serviços
Weg Equipamentos Elétricos
Tel Centro de Contatos
Construtora Serra da Prata
Embrasil Empresa Brasileira de Segurança Limitada
Associação Brasileira de Agências de Publicidade – ABAP
Dalba Engenharia e Empreendimentos
Nec Latin America
Brasilseg – Companhia de Seguros Aliança do Brasil
Maxifrota Serviços de Manutenção de Frota
- Represents ARROW ECS BRASIL in a lawsuit in which it is claimed that the company has breached a contract to implement and develop an integrated technological solution for the State of Paraná’s budgetary, financial and accounting management.
- Represents ULTRAMED Distribuidora de Medicamentos in bidding processes in Brazil, as well as in seeking to nullify a decision by ANVISA that denied the license that would allow importing medication from Nanjing Pharmacare.
Brasília-based firm Mudrovitsch Advogados excels in public law-related litigation, attracting instructions from companies in a variety of sectors, including construction, sanitation, energy, banking, telecoms and transportation. With a special focus on constitutional, administrative and tax law, the practice is also well versed in non-contentious matters involving concession agreements, bidding processes and the negotiation of public contracts. Department head Rodrigo de Bittencourt Mudrovitsch is highly skilled in constitutional issues. Administrative litigation is a key field of strength for Guilherme Pupe da Nóbrega.
Associação Nacional das Operadoras Celulares – ACEL
Bom Futuro Agrícola
Concessionária do Centro Administrativo do Distrito Federal – CENTRAD
Engie Brasil Energia
Energia Sustentável do Brasil
Sia Offices Empreendimentos Imobiliários
- Represents Marfrig on an investigation conducted by the Federal Audit Court (TCU), with the purpose of ascertaining possible irregularities in a financial operation in 2010.
- Acts for Associação Nacional das Operadoras Celulares – ACEL in the defence before the Supreme Court of the unconstitutionality of a state law.
Palma Guedes Advogados
Palma Guedes Advogados offers legal advice on both non-contentious and contentious matters pertaining to public law across a range of sectors, including oil and gas, telecoms, sanitation, defence and transportation, to name a few. Alvaro Palma De Jorge focuses on constitutional and administrative law issues, while also advising clients on PPP projects. Concessions, infrastructure projects as well as M&A in regulated sectors are all areas of activity for Demian Guedes, who also excels in public contract management. Glaucia Corti Tavares is another name to note for administrative litigation, as is Victor Jacuru, whose experience also covers government tender consultations.
‘Committed and reliable professionals, who know the correct way to proceed with public affairs.’
‘The team is reliable, very committed to transparency, and available 24 hours a day.’
‘Intense capabilities to drive legal and administrative proceedings and manage the possible outcomes.’
‘Álvaro de Palma Jorge has the unique capability to anticipate outcomes and design scenarios and possible solutions.’
The public law practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados assists clients on a range of litigation and non-contentious matters, showcasing extensive knowledge in public tenders, contract negotiation and financial re-balancing cases. The team is adept at handling the implementation and operation of projects, helping clients navigate regulatory hurdles and negotiations with government authorities. Ricardo Pagliari Levy's notable areas of practice include public procurement, concession of public services and PPPs; advising on the development of infrastructure projects and public law litigation are some of Marcello Bernardes' areas of focus. Heloisa Figueiredo Ferraz is another key practitioner in the team.
Investimentos e Participações em Infraestrutura
Mitsui & Co
Mitsui Gás e Energia do Brasil
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation
Saipem do Brasil
- Defended an individual in a lawsuit which alleged that private construction companies formed a cartel and defrauded the bidding procedure related to the construction of line 5 of the subway in São Paulo.
- Advised Microsoft in connection with the procurement by the Court of Appeals of São Paulo of a new digital justice platform based on cloud services and other cutting-edge resources.
Veirano Advogados' key strength lies on the advice it offers in relation to transactions involving complex administrative and regulatory challenges in a range of regulated sectors, namely energy and infrastructure. Public law-related dispute resolution and prevention features on the team's workload, as do privatisations, public procurement, PPPs and government concessions. The government and regulatory group is under the leadership of Mauro Hiane de Moura. Marcos Ludwig is skilled in both transactional and project development work, as well as public law, regulatory and contractual issues. Recently promoted Filipe Scherer Oliveira excels in energy law and handles regulatory and administrative matters.
SCGÁS — Companhia de Gás de Santa Catarina
Philip Morris International
Hidrovias do Brasil
Dragabrás Serviços de Dragagem
Autotrac Comércio e Telecomunicações
BSBIOS Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil
Três Tentos Agroindustrial
Cementos del Plata
Faro Technologies do Brasil
British Telecom Group
- Represented BSBIOS, Três Tentos Agrodindustrial and Olfar in a lawsuit challenging a decision enacted by the National Oil, Gas and Biofuels Agency (ANP) preventing them from participating in the 70th biofuel auction.
- Assisted Petrobras Distribuidora in public tenders promoted by the National Ports and Water Transportations Agency (ANTAQ) for the purpose of securing rights over terminals located within the Ports of Belém, Cabedelo and Vitória.
Almeida Advogados' team specialises in environmental law, where it assists clients with litigation as well as non-contentious public and administrative law issues. Some of its notable areas of practice include advising on environmental licensing, reverse logistics and waste management issues, and in civil investigations and public prosecutions. The eight-strong practice group is under the joint leadership of André de Almeida and Rafael Zinato Moreira; however, former fellow co-head, Leonardo Palhares, moved to Kobre & Kim in November 2020.
‘Almeida Advogados has a great responsiveness which nowadays is highly appreciated.’
‘Almeida Advogados as a whole is a consistent, honest and sophisticated law firm, with the ability to work in Portuguese and English.
‘Victoria Francesca Buzzacaro Antongini is my main contact. Her kind attention, creativity and professionalism were appreciated.’
Stericycle Gestão Ambiental
Companhia Fabril Mascarenhas
Bom Negócio Atividades de Internet
HAZTEC Tecnologia e Planejamento Ambiental
Ate IV – São Mateus Transmissora de Energia
Foxx URE BA
- Filed a lawsuit on behalf of Stericycle to challenge the constitutionality of a law that prevents the entry of toxic and radioactive waste into Brasília, if it was generated in other states, for environmental management.
Gustavo Binenbojm & Associados (GBA) fields unparalleled expertise in cases involving fundamental rights, touching on issues pertaining to freedom of speech and freedom of the press, as well as free competition, and constitutional economic law. The group has an impressive track record in representing clients before the Supreme Court in actions of concentrated control of constitutionality and extraordinary appeals. Gustavo Binenbojm focuses on constitutional, administrative and regulatory law, and is also noted for his legal opinions in the field of public law. Strategic litigation is an area in which Flávio Carvalho Britto specialises.
Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Rádio e Televisão – ABERT
Federação Nacional das Empresas de Seguros Privados, de Capitalização e de Previdência Complementar Aberta – FENASEG
MultiRio Operações Portuárias
Confederação Brasileira de Futebol – CBF
BR Marinas Glória
Sinaf Previdencial Cia. de Seguros
Sul América Capitalização
Associação Brasileira de Startups
- Acted on behalf of Netflix in a constitutional complaint filed to repeal a preliminary decision made by an appeal judge which prohibited the company from exhibiting the satirical movie The First Temptation of Christ.
CGM Advogados's public law department handles administrative and judicial claims, internal investigations and non-contentious matters. The team is often sought after by multinational companies in the healthcare, technology, energy, marine services and transport industries. Practice head André Marques Gilberto is experienced in disputes before state and federal courts, and also assists clients in public tenders.
‘CGM’s team are able to understand the company’s market, condition and picture.’
‘The team is very engaged to support the client in all aspects. André Marques has an outstanding performance when dealing with public law. He is a team player, calm and precise.’
‘The Public Law team at CGM is very professional. They respond to my emails and requests within 1-2 hours of sending. They were open to negotiating a creative fee structure that worked for our company. They provide concrete, helpful legal advice. Their English is excellent.’
‘André Marques Gilberto is the main partner I work with in the public law area and he is very pleasant to work with. He is very responsive. He remains attentive while appropriately delegating to associates (which helps on the billing end). Maria Luísa Lopes and Lia Chartrouni are also very competent.’
‘José Antonio Martho is extremely available, honest, straight to the point. André Gilberto is extremely available. Renato Guazzelli Vianna is extremely available and agile.’
Johnson & Johnson
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Centronave – Centro Nacional de Navegação Transatlântica
- Representing Thales, a leader in the markets of aerospace, defence, security and transportation, in administrative claims filed by NEC Latin America regarding a tender bid launched by the federal police in the Federal District.
The public law team at Dal Pozzo Advogados focuses on administrative and civil procedural law, as well as matters pertaining to infrastructure. The team offers legal support in relation to public tenders, concessions, administrative contracts and PPPs, and is also well equipped to advise on regulatory issues, compliance programmes and public law-related litigation. Administrative improbity cases are among Antonio Araldo Ferraz Dal Pozzo's areas of expertise, while Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo is noted for public procurement matters.
‘They have deep knowledge on the infrastructure sector, and they also understand the complex scenario of Brazil legal system. They are an authority on the infrastructure field, who can advise private and public sector clients. Augusto Dal Pozzo, Beatriz Dal Pozzo, João Negrini are recommended.’
‘Public Law in Brazil is something unique. You need to be involved and know all the details about this area. Dal Pozzo’s team know it better than any other law firm.’
Companhia Espírito Santense De Saneamento – Cesan
Instituto Para O Desenvolvimento Dos Sistemas De Transporte – Idestra
Instituto Cultural Newton Paiva
Facebook Serviços Online Do Brasil
Engeform Construções E Comércio
Águas De Mineiros Ltda – Latam Water Participações
- Retained by CESAN, the Espírito Santo state sanitary company, to assist in the structuring and drafting of the User-Pays PPP contract for a wastewater recycling treatment plant.
Adopting a multi-disciplinary approach, Dias Carneiro Advogados brings together expertise in administrative, constitutional and tax law, anti-corruption and regulation. The practice has a strong track record in public procurement matters and administrative contracts, also offering representation to clients in related disputes. Ricardo Sanches leads the department, which assists a client base operating in a range of industry segments, but with particular emphasis on the renewable energy sector. Joyce Ruiz Rodrigues Alves, who often advises on matters relating to compliance with Brazilian public procurement law, is also a name to note for administrative litigation.
Ciena Communications Brasil
CIFI – Corporacion Interamericana para el Financiamento de Infraestrutura
Cristália Produtos Químicos
Global Properties Group
Vestas Wind Power
Voltalia Energia do Brasil
StandardAero Aviation Holdings
- Representing Editora Melhoramentos in three administrative procedures in progress with the Audit Court of the State of São Paulo related to certain public agreements.
Clients from regulated industry sectors, ranging from sanitation, transportation, waste management and energy, seek Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados' support in relation to contractual matters and administrative proceedings before local, state and federal entities and regulatory bodies. The practice is well equipped to assist with participation in public bids, execution of government contracts, PPPs, anti-corruption issues and concession agreements. Luis Eduardo Serra Netto, who focuses on administrative and infrastructure matters, oversees the group.
‘Lawyers are committed and provide clients with the best solutions to achieve desired results.’
Sindicato das Empresas de Compra, Venda, Locação e Administração de Imóveis Residenciais e Comerciais de São Paulo – Secovi-SP
Vital Engenharia Ambiental
PLANOVA Planejamento e Construções
Fernandes Arquitetos Associados
Consórcio CQTC Golden Phoenix Monorail
Associação São Paulo Capital da Diversidade
TEAD – Terminais Aduaneiros do Brasil
- Advised PPX, one of the two partners of UNITAH, the winning bidder for a concession regarding rights to build over and commercially explore several bus stations in the city of São Paulo.
Based in Brasília, the public law department at Advocacia Fernanda Hernandez excels in judicial litigation and administrative proceedings. The specialised practice has extensive knowledge of the Brazilian justice system, offering advice to clients from the very first instances up until the Superior and Supreme Court in the filing of petitions and appeals pertaining to public law issues. Founding partner Fernanda Guimaraes Hernandez, who has more than 30 years' experience in the field, leads the team.
‘Lawyers research any and all subjects that are related to our cases. Each lawyer takes care of their cases as if it were the most important.’
Jive Investments Consultoria
Anglo Ferrous Brazil
Bussab Endres Advogados
Líder Táxi Aéreo
Sotave Amazônica Química e Mineral
Advocacia Gandra Martins
Jus Capital Gestão de Recursos
Banco Bonsucesso (Banco BS2)
Usiminas – Usinas Siderúrgicas de Minas Gerais
Dias de Souza Advogados
- Representing a client before the Superior Court of Justice, seeking the dismissal of the public administrative action filed by the Public Prosecution of São Paulo.
Grego Santos Advogados
Grego Santos Advogados advises clients operating in a range of industries - including energy, technology, logistics, agribusiness, mining and real estate - on a variety of public law matters, including public procurement procedures. The department is co-ordinated by Bruno Grego Santos, who has a strong background in public law, and Andreia Colhado Gallo.
Grupo Vicentinos do Brasil
Theòs Sistemas Eclesiais
Labore Saúde Ocupacional
- Retained by MGA Informática due to a persistent deadlock with the Rio Branco municipal government, in which the municipality did not recognise the client’s fulfilment of contractual obligations regarding software development through public procurement.
KLA Advogados undertakes a broad range of public law work. Its lawyers are adept at handling and challenging procurement procedures, assisting with the execution of contracts, PPPs and concession agreements, as well as acting in administrative litigation. Practice head Paulo Prado demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the agribusiness, healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, and is well versed in the fields of governmental contracts and public procurement.
COM Consultoria Organização e Metodologia
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE
Welch Allyn do Brasil, Comércio de Equipamentos Médicos
General Mills Brasil Alimentos
Duracell Comercial e Importadora do Brasil
Hughes Telecomunicações do Brasil
- Assisted Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE in four energy bidding procedures to build new electric plants and/or execute power purchase agreements (PPAs).
Lefosse Advogados acts for domestic and foreign investors in procurement tendering procedures, and in the acquisition of equity stakes involving providers of services to the public sector. The practice's position in the public law market was reinforced by the arrival Eduardo Carvalhaes and his team from BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão. Carvalhaes, who has longstanding experience in public bids, concession agreements, PPPs and administrative contracts, is now overseeing the department, which is well equipped to advise on a variety of public law issues, including privatisations and constitutional issues.
BB-Banco de Investimento
Convicon Contêineres de Vila do Conde
Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil – ELETRONORTE
Agencias Universales – AGUNSA
Nordic Power Partners
Rio Alto Energia
Zurich Airport Latin America
IGT Global Solutions Corporation
- Advised AGUNSA on the structuring and negotiation of a consortium with Construcap CCPS Engenharia e Comércio, aiming at the joint participation in an auction for the concession for state-owned airports included in the “Middle-West Block”.
Porto Lauand Advogados
With a particular emphasis on the infrastructure sector, Porto Lauand Advogados is retained to advise on public service concession contracts, PPPs, toll road agreements and a range of regulatory matters involving the telecoms, water and sewage, transportation and energy sectors. Public law-related disputes also typically feature on the firm's caseload. Rodrigo Pinto de Campos, whose areas of expertise cover constitutional, regulatory and administrative law, leads the department with Aline Lícia Klein, who specialises in infrastructure regulation and public law.
Telar Engenharia e Comércio
Concessionária Rota das Bandeiras
Concessionária da Ponte Rio-Niterói – Ecoponte
Concebra — Concessionária das Rodovias Centrais do Brasil
Associação dos Permissionários do Entreposto de São Paulo – APESP
Sindicato dos Permissionários em Centrais de Abastecimento de Alimentos do Estado de São Paulo – SINCAESP
Associação dos Permissionários da CEASA-Campinas – ASSOCEASA
Concessionária do Monotrilho da Linha 18-Bronze
Concessionária da Rodovia Osório-Porto Alegre
Medicar Emergências Médicas
ECO101 Concessionária de Rodovias
Ecorodovias Infraestrutura e Logística
- Represented Telar in the bidding auction and assisted it in the execution of the PPP contract involving the housing sector in the municipality of São Paulo.
Queiroz Maluf Sociedade de Advogados
Silveiro Advogados is experienced at handling administrative proceedings, public procurement matters and negotiations with governmental agencies. The practice attracts mandates from both private-sector clients and state-owned companies, and possesses in-depth knowledge of the telecoms sector. The department is jointly led by two public law experts: Ricardo Leal de Moraes, whose expertise covers dispute resolution and regulatory matters, and Manoel André da Rocha, who is proficient in constitutional law.
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
Banco Cooperativo Sicredi
Rio Bravo Investments
Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliários
TMSA – Tecnologia em Movimentação
IBI Participações e Negócios
Pilaplast Indústria e Comércio de Plásticos
Fundação Iberê Camargo
BRISA Sociedade para o Desenvolvimento da Tecnologia de Informação
- Defending BANRISUL in a lawsuit filed by the Public Prosecutor of Rio Grande do Sul and CADE for alleged fraud in a public procurement tender.
Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados' public law department underwent a restructuring following the arrival of current practice heads Fernando Villela de Andrade Vianna and Renato Otto Kloss from Siqueira Castro – Advogados. Both practitioners bring extensive experience in public law matters, assisting with public procurement, bidding procedures, administrative contracts and regulatory issues involving industries such as transportation and oil and gas. The team is capable of advising on the structuring of legal models for partnerships with the public sector, and administrative proceedings before auditing courts.
‘It is the best option for airport regulatory matters in Brazil.’
‘Fernando Villela is fully available, has good (and ethical) connection with the airport regulators and great knowledge of the rounds of airport concessions and concession agreements.’
- Retained by the newly established Concessionária Sudeste do Brasil (ASeB), which was awarded in the fifth bidding round and is now responsible for the operation of the airports of Vitória and Macaé.