The well-established practice at Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados, which combines impressive administrative law and regulatory knowledge with transactional expertise, provides advisory services in relation to the entire spectrum of public law matters. The team is particularly sought after for its experience in public procurement, complex PPP agreements and high-stakes litigation before federal regulatory agencies and the superior courts of Brazil. Other typical mandates include privatisations, concessions and administrative improbity claims. In the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the team was engaged by clients across a range of sectors, such as transport, energy and sanitation, in relation to the extension of existing concession agreements, rebalancing requests of contracts, and litigation. Department head José Virgílio Lopes Enei is a name to note for PPPs and concessions of urban and social infrastructure. Lucas Sant’Anna is recommended by peers and clients alike for his strong background in public tenders, administrative law and PPPs. Rafael Vanzella, who specialises in public law and regulatory matters pertaining to the transport and sanitation sectors, and Pedro Saullo, whose areas of activity include concessions and PPP projects, are also key contacts.
Public law in Brazil
José Virgílio Lopes Enei
‘Rafael Vanzella’s team is sensational! They are always available and accept to negotiate different conditions taking on the risk together with the client.’
‘The firm’s structure is exceptional, the experienced and diligent professionals have in-depth technical knowledge on the topics, the services provided are of the highest standard, always adequate to the proposed deadlines. Lucas Sant’Anna is recommended.’
‘The practice has very capable professionals and an important track record of relevant matters. José Virgílio Lopes Enei is great.’
‘Full availability to meet our request, even when the schedule and workload were challenging.’
‘Lucas Sant’anna and Pedro Saullo stand out.’
BNDES – Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social
EixoSP Concessionária de Rodovias
Entrevias Concessionária de Rodovias
Concessionária Rodovias do Tietê
International Finance Corporation – IFC
Maersk Supply Services
B3 – Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão
BRK Ambiental Participações
Fonte Nova Participações
- Assists BNDES – Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social with the studies for the liberalisation of the Brazilian postal sector and the privatisation of Correios.
- Assisting Entrevias Concessionária de Rodovias and EixoSP Concessionária de Rodovias in discussing liabilities for repairing road infrastructure and determining the allocation of the corresponding obligations either to the previous concessionaires or to Entrevias and Eixo.
- Acting for Concessionária Rodovias do Tietê before the regulatory agency for the economic rebalance of its concession contract due to the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados is a reference in the Brazilian legal market for its well-recognised expertise in public law. The firm covers a broad range of work and stands out for its track record in high-profile litigation involving administrative law, public contracts, PPP projects and concessions. The team acts for both private and public sector clients engaged in projects, infrastructure transactions and contentious matters with considerable public law implications and across an array of sectors, including ports, roads, airports, railways, logistics, sanitation and urban infrastructure. The department is jointly led by administrative law expert Floriano De Azevedo Marques Neto and Marcos Augusto Perez, both of whom are regularly instructed by public and private companies to advise on public service concessions, PPPs and bid contracts.
Floriano De Azevedo Marques Neto; Marcos Augusto Perez
‘It is a firm composed of lawyers with excellent practical and academic experience. Professionals are very concerned about understanding the company’s needs.’
‘Deep knowledge in the public law area, extreme competence in conducting research and compiling results, availability of the team.’
‘Tatiana Cymbalista, Marcos Perez and Ana Beatriz Saviolli are recommended.’
‘Raul Felipe Borelli and Alexandre Rodrigues de Sousa have excellent procedural technique associated with Public Law content.’
IFC (International Finance Corporation)
BNDES (Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social)
Minas Arena Gestão de Instalações Esportivas
The World Bank
AMFRI (Associação dos Municípios da Região da Foz do Rio Itajaí)
Consórcio Move São Paulo (Odebrecht, Queiroz Galvão e UTC)
Construtores Queiroz Galvão
China Railway 20 Bureau Group
Planova Planejamento e Construçõe
- Represented Eneva before TCE-AM (Amazonas Court of Auditors) regarding a natural gas project in the region of the Amazon basin and its tax regime.
- Advising IFC (International Finance Corporation) and BNDES (Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social) on the legal framework related to a new port administration model in Brazil.
- Assisting The World Bank and AMFRI (Associação dos Municípios da Região da Foz do Rio Itajaí) in legal feasibility studies for the implementation of a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system between cities in the state of Santa Catarina.
Demarest Advogados excels across a broad range of public law matters, but is perhaps best known for its strength in the development of PPP projects, public procurement and litigation arising from agreements with state and federal entities. On the contentious front, the practice acts for private sector clients operating in a variety of industries, including transport, energy, sanitation and waste management, in administrative, judicial and arbitration proceedings involving disputes with the public administration. Bruno Aurélio is a name to note for the structuring of infrastructure projects, privatisations and PPPs. He oversees the department, which also includes key associate Renan Sona Silva, who assists with a variety of public procurement, concessions and PPP issues.
‘The law firm has an excellent structure that is capable of meeting the needs of clients. In addition, it has an exceptional Public Law team with high technical quality and solid knowledge of the area.’
‘Bruno Aurélio and Renan Sona are lawyers with solid technical knowledge and vast experience and practical knowledge in public law. They are able to propose practical solutions to complex problems.’
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Socicam Administração, Projetos e Representações
Associação Brasileira de Concessionárias de Rodovias – ABCR
Ecorodovias Concessões e Serviços
Smart RJ Concessionária de Iluminação Pública
S A Paulista de Construções e Comércio
- Advising Smart RJ Concessionária de Iluminação Pública on the execution of a public-private partnership with Rioluz, a state-owned company.
- Assisted Pátria Investimentos and three concessionaires of their group in the evaluation and discussion of the impacts of Covid-19 on their road concession agreements.
- Acted for Concessionária Faça Fácil, a PPP concessionaire, in an arbitration proceeding against the state of Espírito Santo.
The public law department at Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados demonstrates strong transactional, contentious and regulatory capabilities. The team offers legal support to a varied client roster, including concessionaires across the transport and public sanitation sectors, insurance companies, contractors, financial institutions, private equity funds and infrastructure companies, helping them to navigate regulatory matters and the complexities surrounding public procurement, concessions, PPPs and administrative proceedings. Also noteworthy is the practice's ability to handle regulatory issues connected to M&A and capital markets deals involving public-sector assets and companies subject to government regulations, and to represent clients in litigation and arbitration against governmental entities. André Luiz Freire, who often advises on the structuring of public concessions and biddings, is the main point of contact in São Paulo. Thiago Luís Sombra heads the Brasília-based team and is predominantly involved in negotiations with public authorities and regulatory agencies. The team was recently strengthened by the arrival of Henrique Lago da Silveira, who is proficient in administrative proceedings.
‘Team composed of professionals who combine consistent theoretical and practical knowledge. André Luiz Freire is great.’
‘Availability and in-depth knowledge of the Public Law segment. Thiago Luís Sombra is a great lawyer who knows a lot about the market.’
‘The team that assists us, led by André Luiz Freire, is committed to understanding our needs and finding the best way to answer our questions.’
Aena Desarrollo Internacional S.M.E.
Associação Brasileira de Infraestrutura e Indústria de Base – ABDIB
Amazon Web Services
Concessionária do Monotrilho da Linha 18 – Bronze
Ecorodovias Infraestrutura e Logística
IBM Indústria Máquinas e Serviços
Mapfre Seguros Gerais
- Assisted Acciona in the takeover of the PPP agreement to construct, operate and maintain Line 6 of São Paulo’s Metro System, a project valued at €2.3bn.
- Assisted Patria Investimentos regarding the state of São Paulo’s international bid for the concession of the toll road system Piracicaba-Panorama.
- Advised Vectis Partners on the State of Mato Grosso do Sul Sanitation Company public international bid no. 1/2020, for the execution of a PPP Agreement for the exploitation of sewerage services in 68 municipalities.
Pereira Neto | Macedo
With a strong track record in public procurement, public contracts and administrative proceedings, Pereira Neto | Macedo is singled out for its in-depth knowledge of regulated industries and is often engaged in discussions regarding public policy across several sectors. The firm is a popular choice for telecoms clients, who seek advice in relation to regulatory and contentious matters involving public law issues. It is also adept at assisting foreign engineering and construction companies looking to participate in public tenders in Brazil. Litigation involving class actions, administrative and constitutional law before the superior courts is another area of activity. The practice is under the leadership of three practitioners: Caio Mario Da Silva Pereira Neto, who focuses on regulatory matters; administrative law specialist Mateus Piva Adami; and Daniel Tinoco Douek, who combines regulatory, competition and administrative law expertise.
Caio Mario da Silva Pereira Neto; Mateus Piva Adami; Daniel Tinoco Douek
‘Technical knowledge, speed of response, creativity and assertiveness. Caio Mario da Silva Pereira Neto is great.’
Rumo Malha Paulista
Syngenta Proteção de Cultivos
Serveng Civilsan – Empresas Associadas de Engenharia
Instituto Socioambiental (ISA)
Arcos Dourados Comércio de Alimentos
Uber do Brasil Tecnologia
SASCAR Tecnologia e Segurança Automotiva
- Continues to provide advice and assistance to Oi on all strategic regulatory matters, including the restructuring of the regulatory framework for telecoms in Brazil.
- Actively dealing with strategic matters regarding the extension of one of Rumo’s railway concession contracts with the sector’s regulatory agency, the National Agency of Land Transportation (ANTT).
- Represents Braskem in all judicial disputes concerning its operation in the Port of Aratu in the state of Bahia.
The administrative law team at TozziniFreire Advogados has a wealth of experience in government projects and contracts across a variety of sectors, including airports, ports, roads, water and sewage, solid waste and public lighting. Its client roster features both private and state-owned companies seeking advice on public procurement procedures and representation in proceedings before regulatory agencies, audit courts and corruption-related cases. Practice head Claudia Elena Bonelli specialises in public-private relations, most notably in the context of large-scale infrastructure projects. Fellow co-leaders José Augusto Dias de Castro, who focuses on administrative sanctions and compliance matters related to the implementation of infrastructure projects, and Claudio Coelho de Souza Timm, who is recommended for his experience in enforcement proceedings, are other names to note in the team.
Claudia Elena Bonelli; Claudio Coelho de Souza Timm; José Augusto Dias de Castro
‘Competence, deep knowledge, assertiveness and the highest quality of legal services. Claudia Elena Bonelli stands out.’
Mitsui Gás e Energia do Brasil
Advent do Brasil
Uberluz Energética and Caraguá Luz
Estrela Instantêa Loteria SPE
Associação dos Empregados do Banco de Brasília (AEBRB)
Former members of the Audit Board of Petrobras
- Assisting BRK Ambiental in several regulatory matters in different places where the company holds concession rights granted by local governments.
- Acting as legal counsel to EIL, an SPC incorporated by the Estrela Instantânea Loteria Consortium, which was the winning bidder for the concession of the public service of Exclusive Instant Lottery (LOTEX), formerly operated by Caixa Econômica Federal.
- Engaged by Danone Brasil’s legal and compliance departments to conduct a risk assessment of Nutricia’s business in relation to the public sector.
With multiple offices across Brazil, Azevedo Sette Advogados fields a team with solid experience in the area of public procurement, privatisations, concessions, PPPs and regulatory issues. Administrative proceedings also feature on the firm's workload, which is further populated by high-profile judicial litigation involving public administration matters. The public law department, which is predominantly based in Belo Horizonte, is often retained by companies operating in the construction, mining, telecoms and financial services sectors, but is also well equipped to advise public-sector entities. Frederico Bopp Dieterich and Leonardo Moreira Costa de Souza, who both have significant experience in administrative law, infrastructure projects and PPPs, form the core senior team.
Frederico Bopp Dieterich; Leonardo Costa de Souza
Cataratas do Iguaçu
Marquise Serviços Ambientais
Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de Confins
Goetze e Lobato Engenharia
ENEL X Brazil
BMPI Infra and Sano Saneamento e Participações
SAM- Sonel Ambiental e Engenharia
Andrade Gutierrez Investimentos
- Provided assistance to Algar Telecom in the privatisation auction of Copel Telecom.
- Assisted Construtora Marquise in regulatory matters and in negotiating the acquisition of CTR Bahia Destinação de Resíduos.
- Advised Cataratas do Iguaçu on the bid for the concession of São Paulo’s zoo and botanical garden.
Companies operating in the sanitation, technology, telecoms, agribusiness, infrastructure, energy and chemicals sectors regularly turn to Felsberg Advogados' public law and regulatory team for assistance with proceedings before the judiciary, regulatory agencies and local authorities across Brazil. Leading the practice is public law and life sciences specialist Marianne Albers, who receives key support from Rodrigo Bertoccelli and Felipe Cesar Lourenço, both of whom possess years of experience in bidding procedures and administrative contracts. Bertoccelli is a go-to counsel for clients active in the sanitation sector and looking for advice on public service concessions and PPPs, while Lourenço stands out for his track record in administrative proceedings and regulatory matters.
‘Transparency and clarity in communication; technical quality of the team.’
‘Marianne Albers is recommended for her communication and negotiation skills.’
Cummins do Brasil
Ecolab do Brasil
Amil – UHG Brasil
- Retained by BNDES in a public bid to develop a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services to the state of Alagoas.
- Assisted China Railway 20 Bureau Group and CCCC – China Communications Construction Company/Concremat in a public consultation involving the sponsored concession PPP to construct and operate the Salvador-Itaparica Bridge.
- Reviewing the current legal framework for public procurement of innovation to advise the United Kingdom Prosperity Fund together with the World Bank in devising the Smart Mobility app for implementation in the municipality of São Paulo.
Specialised in public law issues, Giamundo Neto Advogados‘ vast expertise in this field sees it advising on public bids, contractual management, infrastructure projects, regulatory issues and enforcement proceedings. Matters involving the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU) are a notable area of practice for the team, which is led by renowned public law expert Giuseppe Giamundo Neto. Recently, the department has been particularly active in mandates pertaining to public sanitation and waste disposal regulations, new public concessions and litigation related to contractual issues arising from the Covid-19 crisis. Luiz Felipe Graziano and Camillo Giamundo, the latter of whom has strength in public procurement and administrative improbity actions, are other points of contact in the team. Public concessions and government contracts including PPPs are some of Thays Chrystina Munhoz de Freitas‘ areas of specialism. The firm's life sciences and electricity offering was bolstered in July 2021 with the hire of Joaquim Augusto Melo de Queiroz from Fialdini Einsfeld Advogados.
Giuseppe Giamundo Neto; Camillo Giamundo; Thays Chrystina Munhoz de Freitas; Luiz Felipe Graziano
‘The firm is extremely dynamic and gives us a lot of security in queries and demands. I would highlight their prompt response.’
‘The knowledge that the legal team and Giuseppe Giamundo Neto have of public law, most notably concessions, makes them stand out. I recommend Giuseppe for his preparation, clarity and calm manner. Thays Chrystina Munhoz de Freitas has spectacular organisational skills.’
‘Without a doubt, Giuseppe Giamundo Neto deserves attention. In conversations I have with other companies, his name is unanimous in public law. He has great practical experience and theoretical knowledge.’
‘What makes this law firm unique, in addition to the quality of its services, is the proximity to the client. Giuseppe Giamundo Neto stands out for his remarkable legal knowledge and his courteous and affable manner, conveying confidence to the client. Thays Munhoz is recommended for her technical legal knowledge’
‘Extensive knowledge of the sector, a vision focused on the client’s needs, flexibility and excellent service. Giuseppe Giamundo Neto provides personalised services and understands clients’ needs.’
‘The law firm has proven to be a great partner, with competent and well-prepared professionals to advise on the most complex issues that my company has faced, with dedicated and personalised service, which sets it apart from other practices, especially in Public Law. My company is assisted by Camillo Giamundo, who has been providing an exceptional service in the cases we face. I also recommend the partner Giuseppe Giamundo Neto, who plays an important role in our cases.’
‘It is a law firm with notable expertise in Public Law, as its partners have been active in this area for years in strategic and large-scale cases. They are attentive and know a lot about the business of large infrastructure companies, in addition to being available for quick and personalised advice. Giuseppe Giamundo Neto is very available and a great expert of Public Law.’
‘Always available, helpful and proactive, the team acts as a business partner and guarantees better and greater security for operating in a sector as sensitive as the public law market in Brazil. Giuseppe Giamundo is a reference in administrative law, with extensive experience in the area.’
Marfrig Global Foods
Unitah Empreendimentos e Paticipações
Camargo Correa Infra Construções
Socicam Infraestrutura e Participações
Sacyr Concessões e Participações do Brasil
Carioca Christiani-Nielsen Engenharia
BRK Ambiental Participações
Circuito de Compras São Paulo SPE
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Usina São Paulo
Ponta dos Ganchos Empreendimentos Turísticos
- Assisting Sacyr Concessões e Participações do Brasil with the bidding process for the concession to duplicate the 204.5 km of highway RS-287 (from Tabaí to Santa Maria – RS), promoted by Rio Grande do Sul State.
- Assisted Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa with the revision of a leniency agreement with the Controladoria Geral da União (CGU), due to force majeure events that changed the circumstances in which the contract was first signed.
- Advising Camargo Correa Infra on the preparation and presentation of a request for economic and financial rebalancing of the contract entered into with the municipality of Salvador, Bahia.
Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini Advogados
Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini Advogados enjoys a strong reputation in the public law market in Brazil. The firm has broad capabilities in public procurement, infrastructure projects and administrative litigation, advising clients throughout the entire cycle of procedures. The team offers advice to domestic and international clients from the public and private sectors, and is particularly noted for its solid experience in dispute resolution cases with national importance. Marçal Justen Filho - who is based in the Brasília office - is a renowned figure in the public law sector. He is seasoned in infrastructure regulations and anti-corruption legislation. In São Paulo, Cesar Pereira focuses on renewable energy and infrastructure projects. The firm is also noted for its strong presence in Curitiba: Fernão Justen de Oliveira is proficient in government contracts and PPPs; Alexandre Wagner Nester and Marçal Justen Neto are specialised in public procurement; and Rafael Wallbach Schwind is active in infrastructure matters.
Marçal Justen Filho; Cesar Pereira; Fernão Justen de Oliveira; Alexandre Wagner Nester; Rafael Wallbach Schwind; Marçal Justen Neto
‘Technical and legal knowledge of partners and associates is far above average. They are highly specialised and practical when dealing with complex procurement issues.’
‘The team stood out for its ability to analyse complex public law issues, and to propose innovative solutions for a case of port regulation.’
‘Cesar Pereira stands out for his leadership skills, experience, and multidisciplinary expertise.’
Construtora A. Gaspar
Terminal De Vila Velha
Abratec – Associação Brasileira Dos Terminais De Contêiners De Uso Público
Terminal De Contêineres De Paranaguá – TCP
Compasa Do Brasil Distribuidora De Derivados De Petróleo
LBR Engenharia e Consultoria
- Represents Construtora A. Gaspar in litigation regarding the disqualification of the construction company in the Electronic RDC No. 562 / 2015-10, promoted by the National Department of Transport Infrastructure – DNIT to carry out road works on BR-116.
- Provides legal consulting to Terminal de Vila Velha in relation to the extension of the port concession contract (public port lease) of the Terminal de Vila Velha (TVV).
- Represents Tecon Salvador, the lessee of the container terminal of the Port of Salvador, in two judicial disputes commenced by an alleged whistleblower and the Federal Public Ministry.
Covering both consultancy and litigation matters, Pinheiro Neto Advogados is equipped to lead advice on interactions with governmental entities and high-profile judicial cases involving public administration issues. The team is often retained by clients in the transport, sanitation, healthcare and defence sectors in relation to government tenders for public concessions, PPPs, privatisations and contract negotiations. Recently, the practice has been active in matters arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, advising on the execution of emergency contracts with the government and on the renegotiation of government contracts due to unforeseen circumstances. The public law team also took on a leading role in the firm's pro bono initiative assisting clients in the implementation of measures to help fight Covid-19, such as donations to the government and cooperation agreements. Ricardo Pagliari Levy is seasoned in administrative proceedings and public procurement. The latter is also a core area of activity for Fernando Rissoli Lobo Filho, who also showcases strength in regulatory issues. Other key individuals include Heloisa Figueiredo Ferraz and Marcello Alfredo Bernardes, who focuses on infrastructure projects and litigation.
‘Foreign companies that have operations in Brazil like ours will want expertise and experience of various legal areas even for a single case, which Pinheiro Neto is satisfactorily equipped with. I would recommend Ricardo Pagliari Levy.’
‘I believe that the availability to deal with relevant issues, as well as the understanding and vision of our business, and technical quality make them stand out.’
‘I highlight Ricardo Levy for his technical quality, availability and business vision and Heloisa Figueiredo for her advice and technical quality.’
- Advising State Grid and its Brazilian subsidiary CPFL in connection with the privatisation of Brasília’s power distribution company (CEB-D).
- Acting for Toyo Engineering Corporation and its Brazilian subsidiary in filing a writ of mandamus at the Supreme Federal Court in order to argue that the Federal Budget Audit Court does not have powers to take certain measures.
- Represents Concessionária da Rodovia Presidente Dutra in a lawsuit against the Federal Government and ANTT, in which the parties discuss economic-financial effects on the contract due to the increase of the legal limits of weight tolerance of the trucks.
The public law team at Siqueira Castro – Advogados offers legal advice in the fields of public procurement, contracts, concessions and PPPs. Of particular note, the department, which often works alongside the firm's environmental, corporate and dispute resolution lawyers, has extensive experience in public projects in the energy and oil and gas sectors. Telecoms, transport and real estate clients also turn to the team in relation to an array of public law matters, including regulatory issues and administrative proceedings. Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro, who is knowledgeable in constitutional law, administrative matters, public tenders and PPPs, oversees the department with regulatory and public law specialist Renata de Abreu Martins and Thiago de Oliveira, the latter of whom is a key contact for infrastructure projects and compliance.
Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro; Renata de Abreu Martins; Thiago de Oliveira
AENA Desarrollo Internacional SME
Aeroportos do Nordeste do Brasil
CEG – Companhia Distribuidora de Gás do Rio de Janeiro
Nacional Gás Butano
Operador Nacional do Sistema (ONS)
Volkswagen do Brasil Indústria de Veículos Automotores
Construtora Camargo Corrêa
Departamento Municipal de Energia Elétrica de Ijuí Geração (DEMEI Geração)
- Advising AENA Desarollo Internacional SME in all regulatory matters concerning the sixth round of biddings for the concession of Brazilian regional airports.
- Hired by the concessionaires CEG and CEG Rio to advise them within the scope of the Parliamentary Commission of Inquiry established at the Legislative Assembly of the State of Rio de Janeiro (ALERJ) to investigate the gas distribution service provided by these companies.
- Acting for Aeroportos Do Nordeste Do Brasil in the process of economic and financial rebalancing of the Northeast Airports Cluster concession contract related to the impacts of Covid-19.
Sundfeld Advogados is a strong player in the public law field, and is recognised in the market for its credentials in regulatory matters and administrative proceedings. Carlos Ari Sundfeld stands out for his experience in public law matters, including government contracts, public procurement and contentious matters. Vera Monteiro is another name to note.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados offers comprehensive advice to private sector clients pursuing business opportunities with federal, state and local governments. Bid processes and protests, PPP agreements and concessions are key fields of expertise for the practice, which also has noteworthy experience in handling contentious matters involving public administration issues at the administrative, judicial and arbitration levels. Bruno Werneck is seasoned in project development, concessions and PPP structures. Juliana Deguirmendjian is a key contact for public bids in the water and sewage, highways and urban mobility sectors. Former co-head Mario Saadi left the firm. Public and administrative law specialists Flávio Amaral and Henrique Rocha joined in August 2021.
‘The firm has a team fully dedicated toPublic law issues, including, for example, matters related to bidding and administrative proceedings. At the same time, the team is fully integrated with the Projects and Infrastructure and M&A teams, especially on issues involving regulated sectors, which gives its professionals a holistic view of the discussions and cutting-edge knowledge on market issues.’
‘Partner Bruno Werneck has extensive knowledge of the market and is well aware of the main ongoing discussions in the country, having an extremely strategic vision.’
‘The firm offers me something that is hard to find: quick turnaround. They are always available and meet the proposed deadlines. During the course of the work, they are didactic in explaining the conclusions, they are technicians, they add their experience in similar cases and give us confidence.’
‘I like working with Bruno Werneck. He is an excellent professional, competent, responsive and available.’
Aegea Saneamento E Participações
Empresa Brasileira De Administração De Petróleo e Gás Natural – Pré-Sal Petróleo
Empresa Brasileira De Infraestrutura Aeroportuária – Infraero
Banco Nacional De Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES
Ferrero Do Brasil Industria Doceira e Alimentar
Enel Green Power Brasil Participações
Ellen Macarthur Foundation
Associação Da Medula Óssea
Enel X Brasil
- Assisted AEGEA in a bidding procedure regarding the concession for water supply and sewage services in the metropolitan region of Maceió/AL, carried out by the state of Alagoas.
- Assisting Infraero with the preparation of studies for the sale of its equity stake in four concessionaires.
- Providing legal assistance to BNDES in connection with the privatisation of Companhia Brasileira de Trens Urbanos – CBTU, a state-owned company which operates in the urban and metropolitan rail passenger transportation segment.
Tojal Renault Advogados
Tojal Renault Advogados is skilled at advising domestic and international clients across a variety of public law matters, ranging from bidding procedures and administrative contracts to administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies and governmental entities. Negotiations of agreements with state authorities also feature. Sebastião Botto de Barros Tojal leads on work pertaining to the negotiation of leniency agreements on behalf of several clients, most notably companies from the infrastructure, logistics, transport and financial services sectors. Renata Rocha Villela, who has a strong background in both the public and private spheres, and Jorge Henrique de Oliveira Souza, are also part of the core team.
Sebastião Botto de Barros Tojal
‘The law firm has a great reputation in the area of public law, and is one of the references in the country. The partners are available and the team is well prepared. In addition, they offer competitive prices and are able to deliver the work very quickly.’
‘I’d highlight the technical capacity of lawyers and excellence in customer service.’
‘Sebastião Tojal combines academic knowledge and professional competence.’
‘The great element of distinction is being able to be assisted directly by partners and, in their absence, professionals with excellent qualifications to support the company.’
‘The firm has a lean structure and is highly specialised. It provides quality services, acting with zeal and ethics.’
‘Sebastião Tojal and Sérgio Renault are talented and dedicated professionals. Tojal brings his many years of experience as a professor at the Faculty of Law of the University of São Paulo to his legal practice. Renault brings his experience in public office, notably as Secretary of Judiciary Reform at the Ministry of Justice. The work of partner Jorge Henrique de Oliveira Souza also deserves to be highlighted.’
Empresa Brasileira de Terminais e Armazéns Gerais– EBT
Drogaria São Paulo
FEBRABAN – Federação Brasileira de Bancos
ABECS – Associação Brasileira das Empresas de Cartões de Crédito e Serviços
CCEE – Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica
Portocel – Terminal Especializado de Barra do Riacho
Companhia Energética de São Paulo – CESP
CBA – Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
- Acted for Aegea Group in the negotiation of an agreement with São Paulo state authorities to settle civil and administrative lawsuits.
- Defended Suzano’s interests in bids promoted by the federal government, through the Ministry of Infrastructure and the National Waterway Transportation Agency, regarding two port terminals.
- Acts as administrative law and regulatory counsel to the biggest lawsuits faced by CESP, in order to deliver legal opinions indicating possible alternatives for solving complex issues.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe's public and regulatory law practice assists with a combination of consultancy and contentious matters, boasting an impressive track record in administrative and judicial disputes involving governmental entities, state-owned companies and regulatory issues. The group's offering also includes advice on transactions in regulated sectors, public tenders and concessions. Assistance with compliance issues and anti-corruption cases is also provided by the public law department, which is overseen by Heloisa Uelze in São Paulo. Uelze has a wealth of experience in government matters and infrastructure projects. Bruno Burini and Andrews França, who focus on administrative improbity claims and regulated markets, are key contacts in Brasília.
‘ I would like to highlight the work handled by Bruno Burini.’
Conselho Curador dos Honorários Advocatícios – CCHA
Associação Brasileira da Indústria de Higiene. Pessoal, Perfumaria e Cosméticos – ABIHPEC
Center Norte Construção, Empreendimentos Administração e Participação
Transbrasa – Transitária Brasileira
Marimex – Despachos, Transportes e Serviços
Localfrio – Armazéns Gerais Frigoríficos
Andrade Gutierrez Engenharia
Oxicap Indústria de Gases
Marimex – Despachos, Transportes e Serviços
Stryker do Brasil
Air Liquide Brasil
- Assisting and representing Conselho Curador dos Honorários Advocatícios, which is a private entity that organises and distributes attorney’s fees, in a case at the Supreme Federal Court.
- Acting for ABIHPEC in a Direct Unconstitutionality Action before the Supreme Federal Court which challenges two bills — from the states of Rio de Janeiro and Amazonas — forbidding animal testing for cosmetic, hygiene, perfume and cleaning products.
- Assisting Marimex – Despachos, Transportes e Serviços and Localfrio – Armazéns Gerais Frigoríficos in a multi-jurisdictional discussion about abuses of dominant position by maritime container terminals operating in the Port of Santos through a surcharge practice.
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão is well versed across a broad array of public law matters, spanning infrastructure projects, regulatory issues and government affairs. As well as providing advice on government contracting procedures, concessions and PPP structures, the practice also represents clients before regulatory agencies and acts in all types of disputes involving the public administration. Administrative misconduct and corruption cases are particular specialisms. José Guilherme Berman often assists with public bids and anti-corruption cases, while Felipe Schvartzman is specialised in compliance and administrative improbity claims. Both practitioners are based in Rio de Janeiro. In São Paulo, Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho stands out for her in-depth knowledge of administrative law, including concessions of public services, state-owned companies and bidding procedures.
José Guilherme Berman; Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho
‘This law firm has excellent technical and legal knowledge, an exceptional response time and is perfectly understanding of the Client’s business and interests.’
‘BMA has a complete team, with high quality partners and a lot of experience in transactions. Their advice gives me a lot of confidence. Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho knows a lot about the airport sector and also about regulatory issues in general.’
‘Team composed of trained, specialised and up-to-date lawyers, with dynamic and fast feedback. José Guilherme Berman Correa Pinto and Felipe Schvartzman stand out.’
‘BMA brings together competent and creative lawyers, always ready to seek solutions that make the business viable in accordance with the law.’
‘José Guilherme Berman is a lawyer with deep corporate, administrative and regulatory knowledge, especially in matters related to infrastructure investments.’
Magnamed Tecnologia Médica
Salina Diamante Branco
Vivacom Comércio e Serviços
VR Benefícios e Serviços de Processamento
CS Brasil Transportes de Passageiros e Serviços Ambientais
Globo Comunicação e Participações
Associação Brasileira de Mobilidade e Tecnologia – Amobitec
Federação Nacional de Seguros Gerais (FENSEG)
Sindicato das Empresas de Seguros Privados do Rio de Janeiro e do Espírito Santo (SINDEG RJ/ES)
Associação Brasileira de Terminais de Contêineres de Uso Público – ABRATEC
Fundação Para o Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico em Saúde – Fiotec
- Assisted a group of companies that donated R$120m to the Program United by Covid-19 on all regulatory matters related to the donation of goods to public entities.
- Assisted TK+S Aktiengesellschaft and Salina Diamante Branco in verifying all the regulatory licenses held by the latter in relation to the sale of its Operating Unit Salt Americas business operations.
- Represented Magnamed Tecnologia Médica, a major ventilator manufacturer in Brazil, in a transaction with the Brazilian federal government for the supply of 6,500 lung ventilators to be used in the efforts against the Covid-19 pandemic.
Fialho Salles Advogados
Based in Belo Horizonte, Fialho Salles Advogados often acts in infrastructure projects at a national level across a variety of sectors, including transport, energy and sanitation. Besides assisting clients throughout all steps of public procurement, the practice is also a solid performer in litigation, administrative proceedings and regulatory issues. PPPs, government concessions and public contracts are all key specialisms for the department, which is jointly led by three practitioners: Érico Andrade, who is experienced in non-contentious matters and litigation, heads up the administrative law team; Gustavo Magalhães specialises in regulatory issues and infrastructure projects; and Anderson Novais is the name to note for administrative and judicial litigation involving public law disputes.
Érico Andrade; Gustavo Magalhães; Anderson Novais
‘Expertise and quality in the provision of services, as well as commitment to the client.’
‘Gustavo Magalhães is skilled at advising on public contracts.’
‘In technical terms they are impeccable and have exceptional strategic positioning. The most distinct points are: strategy, decision effectiveness, prompt service. Gustavo Magalhães and Anderson Nascimento stand out.’
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES)
AEGEA Saneamento e Participações
Aliança Geração de Energia
Construtora Barbosa Mello
Barbosa Mello Participações e Investimentos
Bh Iluminação Pública
SPE Inova BH
SPE Saúde Primária BH
SPE Terminal Belo Horizonte
Empresa Construtora Brasil
Consita Tratamento de Resíduos
Uber do Brasil Tecnologia
Up Brasil – Policard Systems e Serviços
CEI – Companhia Energética Integrada
Canopus Construções e Empreendimentos
Empresa Construtora Brasil
Suma Brasil – Serviços Urbanos e Meio Ambiente
TACOM Projetos de Bil
- Provided strategic legal support to Ternal Plus on the participation in five lots of the ANEEL Public Tender 01/2020 for the concession of power transmission public services.
- Assisted TACOM in all regulatory and contractual aspects regarding the technology development, production and ANVISA approval of new mechanical ventilators especially designed to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Acting as leader of the consortium contracted by BNDES to provide support and draft studies to allow the private participation in DEPASA and the provision of universal access to safe drinking water and sanitation across the state of Acre.
Lefosse Advogados has a wide-ranging public law and regulations practice, covering all stages of public procurement procedures, PPPs, concessions and privatisations. The firm is also well regarded for its experience in transactions involving regulated assets and companies with public law implications. Leading the practice is Eduardo Carvalhaes, whose areas of expertise include government contracts, concessions of public utility services and bidding processes. In addition to its strong consulting capabilities, the team is also often engaged by clients from a range of industries in relation to administrative proceedings.
‘Lefosse’s public law team is very well versed in Brazilian Public Legislation and has enabled us to navigate complex public entities and structures with relative ease. The team is very well connected and regarded in this sector.’
‘The partners who have worked with us were able to design tailored solutions to complicated local situations in a heavy regulated public sector. In addition to their technical work, the team has been highly valuable in assisting us navigate and network within the Brazilian Public Sector.’
American Tower do Brasil
PayPal do Brasil Serviços de Pagamentos
IGT Global Solutions
Centrais Elétricas Barcarena – CELBA
Companhia Docas de Imbituba – CDI
OAS Soluções Ambientais
Zurich Airports Latin America – ZALA
- Acted as counsel to American Tower in the development of strategies related to the construction of towers by competitors and non-compliance of current regulations.
- Assisted Paypal do Brasil Serviços de Pagamentos in the public consultation promoted by Caixa Econômica Federal regarding the public procurement of online payment method service for placing lottery bets and paying lottery prizes on Caixa’s electronic channels.
- Works as part of a consortium hired by BNDES to support the bank on the structuring and implementation of the privatisation of Companhia de Gás do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul (Sulgás).
Mudrovitsch Advogados is singled out for its wealth of experience in litigation; it has a special focus on constitutional, administrative and electoral law disputes. The firm acts for a diverse client roster operating in the construction, education, transport and sanitation sectors. Furthermore, its practitioners are seasoned in concession agreements, PPP models, and the negotiation of government contracts. The Brasília-based team is jointly led by Victor Santos Rufino, Raphael Marcelino and Rodrigo de Bittencourt Mudrovitsch. Name partner Mudrovitsch is often instructed by energy, waste management and telecoms companies for assistance in constitutional law issues.
Rodrigo de Bittencourt Mudrovitsch; Victor Santos Rufino; Raphael Marcelino
‘Excellent services. I recommend Rodrigo Mudrovitsch.’
Marfrig Global Foods
Odebrecht Engenharia e Construção Internacional
Atvos Agroindustrial Investimentos
Reago Indústria e Comércio
Construtora Sanches Tripoloni
Diretório Nacional do Progressistas – PP
Associação Nacional das Empresas de Transportes Urbanos – NTU
- Representing Fundação Getúlio Vargas in a civil lawsuit filed by Rio de Janeiro’s public prosecutor claiming an injunction to remove its executives.
- Assisting Odebrecht Engenharia e Construção Internacional in the financial balance procedure of a FIDIC administrative contract for the construction of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) in the city of Belém.
- Acted for a high-profile individual, as defendant, in a lawsuit for administrative improbity, in which the client was accused of conducting an irregular bidding waiver.
Palma Guedes Advogados
The administrative and regulatory law department at Rio de Janeiro-based firm Palma Guedes Advogados is predominantly engaged in judicial litigation and administrative proceedings involving constitutional law, PPPs and concessions. Founding partner Alvaro Palma De Jorge is noted for his comprehensive knowledge of constitutional and administrative law matters. Administrative litigation is a core area of activity for Demian Guedes, who is a counsel of choice for energy, sanitation, defence, construction and industrial-sector clients. Glaucia Corti Tavares specialises in litigation involving concessions and infrastructure projects, while Victor Jacuru is noted for public tenders and government contracts. Gabriela Monteiro joined from Veirano Advogados in September 2020 to further strengthen the team's regulatory capabilities.
Alvaro Palma de Jorge; Demian Guedes; Glaucia Corti Tavares
CONMEBOL – 2020 Libertadores Championship
Hebara Distribuidora de Produtos Lotéricos
Webedia Internet Brasil
Zona Oeste Mais Saneamento
CBF – Confederação Brasileira de Futebol
- Assisted Hebara, qualified as amicus curiae, in the trial of ADPF No. 493 by the Supreme Federal Court, defending the winning thesis on the possibility of exploitation of state lotteries, against the alleged monopoly of the Federal Union.
- Advises Ambev on the legal strategy and measures to challenge a decision that declared illegal and ordered the annulment of a 20-year agreement entered with CEDAE, the State Water Supply and Sewage Company.
- Advises RIOgaleão, the concessionaire of the international airport Antonio Carlos Jobim-Galeão, on regulatory matters in general, including the assessment of rules imposed to control the Covid-19 pandemic.
Veirano Advogados has notable strength in transactional matters with significant administrative law or regulatory components, advising domestic and foreign clients from highly regulated industries such as energy, infrastructure and natural resources. Mauro Hiane de Moura leads the public law department out of Porto Alegre. Mandates involving government concessions, PPPs and privatisation of state-owned companies populate the practice's workload, which also features administrative and judicial litigation. Marcos Ludwig is a key contact in Rio de Janeiro for energy and infrastructure-related projects, while Daniel Engel in São Paulo excels in public contracts and regulatory issues.
Mauro Hiane de Moura
‘Veirano is extremely involved. Their senior representative, Marcos Ludwig, was always available for a discussion or for providing an expert opinion on legal matters related to public law.’
‘Marcos Ludwig is very knowledgeable of all topics related to public law, resulting in highly valuable and efficient discussions. Additionally, he acted very professionally and diligently. Finally, timing of activities and deliverables was very clear and always adhered to.’
BSBIOS Indústria e Comércio de Biodiesel Sul Brasil
APROBIO — Associação dos Produtores de Biocombustíveis do Brasil
WestRock Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
NTT Comércio e Serviços de Tecnologia
Eletrobras Termonuclear– Eletronuclear
Cementos del Plata
- Assisted Cementos del Plata in a R$364.5m public tender promoted by CGT Eletrosul, a state-owned corporation responsible for the operation of a coal-based power plant in the city of Candiota.
- Assisted WestRock in judicial litigation against city decrees that, at the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic, prevented the company from executing a $345m investment plan for the expansion of its facilities.
- Advising Eletrobras Termonuclear – Eletronuclear on several complex matters of public law and international law (bilateral agreements) in the context of the potential resumption of the civil works for the completion of the nuclear power plant Angra 3.
Vella Pugliese Buosi e Guidoni Advogados brings together specialists in public law, regulatory issues and infrastructure projects who act for clients active in a range of industries, most notably basic sanitation and airports. The team is equipped to guide clients throughout all stages of bid procedures, and is also skilled at assisting in negotiations with regulatory agencies and handling administrative proceedings carried out by the audit courts. Concessionaires often seek Fernando Villela de Andrade Vianna's advice on an array of infrastructure and public law-related issues. With a strong background in public administration and regulatory agencies, Renato Otto Kloss is routinely engaged by companies in the sanitation sector in relation to new concessions and PPP agreements.
Fernando Villela de Andrade Vianna; Renato Otto Kloss
‘High level of professionalism, strong knowledge of the topics, ethical compliance and responsiveness in implementing solutions.’
‘Fernando Vilella is versatile, effective and offers practical advice.’
‘Its professionals understand the client’s business and come up with innovative solutions. I recommend Renato Otto Kloss for his technical knowledge and commitment to the client.’
‘Fast service and competence. Renato Otto Kloss is an excellent lawyer.’
‘Fernando Villela de Andrade Vianna is extremely knowledgeable of infrastructure and PPP law. His dedication and client-focused approach is second to none.’
‘Availability of professionals and close monitoring of matters of interest to the client.’
‘Fernando Vilella stands out for his availability, clarity of ideas, and multidisciplinary expertise.’
World Bank Group
Allonda Engenharia e Construção
Concessionária do Aeroporto de Salvador
São Paulo Catarina Aeroporto Executivo
Amazon.com Services LLC
Sindicato das empresas de transporte de passageiros no estado de minas gerais – SINDPAS
Aegea Saneamento e Participações
- Assists Allonda Engenharia e Construção in a set of 14 public bids for the contracting of engineering works (basic sanitation) within the scope of the clean-up project of the Pinheiros River.
- Representing Sindicato das Empresas de Transporte de Passageiros no Estado de Minas Gerais – SINDPAS in a strategic lawsuit against a startup concerning ground transportation.
- Acting for the newly established Concessionária Sudeste do Brasil (ASeB), which was awarded in the fifth bidding round and is now responsible for the operation of the airports of Vitória and Macaé, in regulatory matters and issues that arise out of the concession agreement.
The public law team at Almeida Advogados is skilled at handling strategic litigation against government agencies. The practice also possesses broad public procurement expertise, often advising on PPPs and public contracts. Department head Rafael Zinato Moreira specialises in civil and administrative law, with a particular focus on bidding processes. Administrative law is also an area of expertise for Igor Luna and Pedro Argenta Bayardino, both of whom have an impressive track record in public law-related litigation.
Rafael Zinato Moreira
‘The firm has a number of partners and associates able to provide quality services across various areas of law. They have strong internal procedures and individual values.’
‘Igor Luna’s work stands out for its quality, resilience and strong belief in agile methodologies.’
‘Almeida Advogados check lots of boxes when it comes to Public Law-related work: smart and clever strategies, high-value work, responsiveness and flexible fee arrangements.’
‘André de Almeida is a leading strategist, with Igor Luna, Guilherme Doval and Rafael Zinato as main specialists quarterbacking the team work.’
‘Great technical competence and versatility in service.’
Permian Global Research
Construtora Mello Azevedo
Orizon Meio Ambiente
Central de Tratamento de Resíduos Guajará
Stericycle Gestão Ambiental
Terra Santa Administradora de Cemitérios e Imóveis
Certisign Certificadora Digital
WMB Comércio Eletrônico
Câmara Brasileira de Comércio Eletrônico
Citeluz Serviços de Iluminação
- Assisting Premian Global Research with studies requested by two states on the legal and economic operation models for a Conservation Unit protection and carbon credit exploitation infrastructure project.
- Representing Construtora Mello Azevedo in a recovery action filed against the municipal company Empresa Municipal de Urbanização do Rio de Janeiro (RioUrbe) for failure to pay for civil construction services.
- Defending Haztec in a Public Civil Action filed by Rio de Janeiro’s Public Prosecutor’s Office for alleged irregularities in an international public construction contract for the restoration of the Morro do Bumba community following a landslide in 2010.
CGM Advogados fields a group that is devoted to public law and antitrust matters. The practice has been particularly active assisting multinational clients in a variety of sectors, including technology, healthcare, transport and financial services, in administrative and judicial disputes, as well as internal investigations involving public law issues. André Marques Gilberto oversees the department; he is well versed in bid processes and litigation.
André Marques Gilberto
‘This is a medium-sized firm with great knowledge in the field of public law.’
‘André Gilberto is an extremely attentive partner, who is personally involved in the cases and demonstrates great knowledge in the area.’
Johnson & Johnson
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Ouro Fino Saúde Animal
Centronave – Centro Nacional de Navegação Transatlântica
Thermo Fischer Scientific
- Representing Intermed Equipamento in the negotiation of an agreement with the Ministry of Health, at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, for the supply of more than 4,000 ventilators.
- Acting for Champion in three separate bids launched by Petroleo Brasileiro regarding the supply of chemicals and a loan of petroleum tanks.
- Assisting Centronave (the Brazilian association of global liner shipping companies such as Maersk, Hapag Lloyd, and others) in two public hearings launched by Brazil’s National Agency for Waterway Transportation (ANTAQ).
Split between São Paulo and Brasília, Dal Pozzo Advogados attracts instructions from a diverse client base operating in the healthcare, education, transport, telecoms, solid waste and energy sectors. Its key strength lies in judicial and administrative litigation arising out of concession agreements, PPPs and administrative contracts. Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo, who primarily focuses on infrastructure projects and public contracts, coordinates the department alongside Antonio Araldo Ferraz Dal Pozzo. Public law disputes and proceedings before the audit courts are among João Negrini Neto's specialisms.
Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo; Antonio Araldo Ferraz Dal Pozzo
‘The knowledge of the partners and associates about public law is phenomenal. João Negrini Neto and Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo are names to note in the firm.’
‘The team that has been assisting us is very efficient and technically adept.’
‘The team brings together professionals with extensive experience in addition to solid academic background.’
‘Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo is an authority in the infrastructure sector, who is able to identify the best strategies for the client.’
Viarondon Concessionária de Rodovia
Concessionária Auto Raposo Tavarares – CART
Concessionária Rota das Bandeiras
Fundação Getúlio Vargas – FGV
Facebook Serviços Online do Brasil
Rumo Malha Norte
- Represented Concessionária Auto Raposo Tavares – CART in an action brought by the client against the São Paulo state transport regulatory agency with the purpose of canceling a penalty for non-compliance with the works schedule of the highway concession contract.
- Assisting Consórcio de Saneamento Grande Feira in the structuring and drafting of a PPP for the sanitation system in the municipality of Feira de Santana in the state of Bahia.
- Represented Grupo Comporte – Blumob Concessionária de Transporte Urbano de Blumenau’s interests in a lawsuit filed against the municipality of Blumenau, state of Santa Catarina.
Dias Carneiro Advogados has extensive experience in public procurement procedures, government contracts and related dispute resolution. On the contentious front, the practice is skilled at representing companies before audit courts and handling administrative and judicial proceedings. Assisting clients with the assessment of risks in relation to joint ventures and transactions with public law and regulatory implications is another area of strength for the department led by Ricardo Sanches. Joyce Ruiz Rodrigues Alves is a key individual, with expertise in administrative law and anti-corruption matters.
Ciena Communications Brasil
CIFI – Corporacion Interamericana para el Financiamento de Infraestrutura
Cristália Produtos Químicos
Global Properties Group
Vestas Wind Power
Voltalia Energia do Brasil
StandardAero Aviation Holdings
- Advised Cristália Produtos Químicos in relation to the supply of pharmaceuticals used to treat Covid-19 to the Brazilian government.
- Assisted GLP in relation to the formation of consortia in order to take part in public procurement bids related to roads and railways.
- Represented Editors Melhoramentos before the Audit Court of São Paulo and obtained a favourable opinion in an administrative appeal relating to the execution of an agreement to supply local government with books and educational materials.
Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados
Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados houses a team of specialists in all types of contracts and administrative proceedings at the federal, state and local levels. Companies from regulated industries, including waste management, aviation, energy, construction and transport, are at the core of the group's client base. With strong consultancy and litigation capabilities, the practice advises on concessions, PPPs, procurement and anti-corruption claims. Luis Eduardo Serra Netto leads the department, which also includes Paola Szanto, whose areas of expertise cover long-term public concessions, infrastructure projects and public contracts.
Luis Eduardo Serra Netto
‘Knowledge of the reality of the infrastructure market and its actors; personalised service; technical knowledge of administrative law.’
‘Luis Eduardo Serra Netto treats each theme as if it were the only one. Another characteristic that I like personally is the fact that he has an informal approach, without, however, losing his seriousness and competence. Paola Szanto has great technical skills.’
Consórcio Viaduto do Chá
Consórcio Mercado Novo SP
BM Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Genetec do Brasil Informática
- Supported Consórcio Viaduto do Chá in securing a victory in a public bid to revitalise and upgrade Anhangabaú, a central area in the city of São Paulo, to allow it to receive big events and provide leisure alternatives to citizens.
- Acted for EcoUrbis Ambiental in securing a 12% raise in the monthly payments it receives for providing waste management services for the city of São Paulo.
- Advised JCDecaux on a public bidding to providing street clocks and advertisement panels to the city of Campinas.
Grego Santos Advogados
Under the leadership of Bruno Grego Santos and Andreia Colhado Gallo, Grego Santos Advogados assists with a variety of public law mandates, most notably judicial litigation and administrative proceedings involving public procurement and anti-corruption cases. Its recent work showcases its strength acting for clients from regulated industries, including real estate, financial services, energy, technology, agribusiness and manufacturing. Both practitioners are based in Paraná.
Bruno Grego Santos; Andreia Colhado Gallo
‘Specialised and excellent service.’
‘Bruno Grego Santos has extensive experience in public law, competence in dispute resolution and availability; he is an excellent strategist.’
Grupo Vicentinos do Brasil
Theòs Sistemas Eclesiais
Labore Saúde Ocupacional
- Successfully represented Grupo Vicentinos against possible penalties promoted by a Brazilian state in a major public procurement case.
- Advised MGA Informática on the deadlock with the Rio Branco municipal government that did not recognise the client’s fulfilment of contractual obligations regarding software development through public procurement.
- Acting for Association of Child Catering Business in the creation of strategies in order to achieve a legal government clearance for their activities in response to the Covid-19 crisis.
Specialised in cases involving constitutional law, Gustavo Binenbojm & Associados (GBA) stands out for its strong track record before the Supreme Federal Court. The Rio de Janeiro-based firm offers representation to clients in the media, telecoms, technology, insurance and energy sectors in an array of administrative, judicial and arbitration proceedings related to constitutional and regulatory law. Key areas of expertise include freedom of speech and of the press. Some of the biggest media conglomerates often seek Gustavo Binenbojm‘s assistance with high-profile disputes. Other noteworthy practitioners include Alice Voronoff, Rafael Koatz and André Cyrino. Rafaela Canetti recently joined the practice, having previously been at the Supreme Federal Court. Flávio Carvalho Britto left the firm in December 2020.
‘Gustavo Binenbojm & Associados is composed of a highly qualified, technical and excellent team. With expertise in the market and wide experience in complex matters of Public Law, the practice stands out for its ability to prepare robust and sophisticated theses in the most diverse Courts in the country, including the Superior Courts.’
‘Captained with excellence by Gustavo Binenbojm, the team has great synergy among themselves, extensive theoretical knowledge in matters of Public Law and stands out in the market for its vast experience in hard cases. In particular, it is worth highlighting the brilliance, practical and theoretical solidity of the founding partner Gustavo Binenbojm, the partners Rafael Koatz and Alice Voronoff.’
‘Lawyers with solid training and who are a reference in the area of Public and Regulatory Law. Extreme technical quality, aggregation of knowledge in the definition of solutions and strategies, ability to interact with both legal professionals and company executives, availability to meet exceptional and urgent demands and quick and punctual response.’
Associação Brasileira de Concessionárias de Rodovias – ABCR
Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras – ELETROBRAS
FENASAÚDE (National Federation of the Health Insurance Companies)
CNSEG – Confederação Nacional das Empresas de Seguros Gerais, Previdência Privada e Vida, Saúde Suplementar e Capitalização
ABERT (Brazilian Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters)
British American Tobacco – BAT
Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de CONFINS
BR Marinas Glória
- Acted on behalf of Netflix in a constitutional complaint filed to repeal a preliminary decision made by an appeal judge which prohibited the company from exhibiting the satirical movie The First Temptation of Christ.
- Acting on behalf of the National Confederation of Communication (CNCOM) and of ABERT in a declaratory action of constitutionality regarding tax planning and freedom of enterprise.
- Acted before the Supreme Federal Court on behalf of the TV broadcaster Globo in a lawsuit regarding the right to be forgotten.
KLA Advogados offers legal support to a diverse client roster that includes companies from the technology, telecoms, energy, transport, sanitation and life sciences sectors. An array of consulting and contentious public law services are catered for, with the practice regularly acting for clients in tender procedures, management of administrative contracts and proceedings before federal, state and municipal budget oversight courts and regulatory agencies. Department head Paulo Prado has notable experience in the fields of public procurement, regulatory matters and government contracts.
‘The firm is super business oriented, so the language is direct and clear. They understand the client’s problem and treat them as if they were in-house lawyers. The different practices within the firm are very integrated.’
‘Paulo Prado is knowledgeable, experienced, and proactive. He thinks about the problem as a whole, clearly pointing out the negative impacts and how to solve them.’
COM Consultoria Organização e Metodologia
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE
- Assists AbbVie in its day-to-day relations with government entities during the planning for sale (including review of public contracts or the invitations to bid) as well as during the execution of public agreements.
- Advised Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE on four energy bidding procedures to build new electric plants and/or execute power purchase agreements (PPAs).
- Represented COM Consultoria in an action of administrative improbity.
LL Advogados' broad service offering covers public concessions, procurement and regulatory matters. Demonstrating specialist knowledge of infrastructure sectors, namely logistics, ports, highways and railways, the department is also regularly engaged in judicial litigation involving contracts with the public administration. Leonardo Coelho Ribeiro, whose areas of practice include administrative and infrastructure law, heads the team with Rafael Véras de Freitas, who specialises in public law and regulation.
Leonardo Coelho Ribeiro; Rafael Véras de Freitas
‘LL Advogados is committed to its clients. Partner Rafael Véras de Freitas is extremely dedicated to matters, issuing opinions of the highest level and contributing to strategic decision-making.’
‘Competence and availability. Rafael Véras de Freitas focuses on results and business strategy.’
Linha Amarela – LAMSA
Concessão Metroviária do Rio de Janeiro
Programa de Desenvolvimento das Nações Unidas (PNUD – ONU)
Ministério da Economia (Secretaria de Desenvolvimento da Infraestrutura – SDI)
Petrobras Transporte (Transpetro)
Terminal de Veículos de Santos (Santos Brasil)
Marlim Azul Energia
Concessionária da Rodovia dos Lagos
Concessionária Via Rio
Global Investment Corporation – GIC (Singapore Sovereign Fund)
Organização Funerária São João Batista
- Advised Linha Amarela on administrative proceedings involving the economic and financial rebalancing and the expropriation of the asset, and in crisis management after the destruction of assets by the municipality.
- Assisted Concessão Metroviária do Rio de Janeiro in the extraordinary revision of the concession contract for the public service of underground passenger transportation on Lines 1 and 2, and in issues during the course of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Provided Petrobras Transporte (Transpetro) with a legal opinion on the bidding for port leasing in the Port of Santos for handling, storage and distribution of liquid bulk..
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados
The arrival of Rodnei Iazzetta and his team in 2018 revamped the public law practice at Lobo de Rizzo Advogados, strengthening its service offering in the areas of infrastructure projects modelling, concessions and PPPs. The team is now capable of assisting clients in the full range of public law mandates, including regulatory issues. Department head Iazzetta also stands out for his expertise in the structuring of concessions under a variety of contractual regimes.
‘The firm is excellent in Administrative Law matters. Rodnei Iazzetta is our main contact.’
‘Ability to handle complex matters under tight deadlines.’
Engie Brasil Participações
Patria Infraestrutura Gestão de Recursos
BRK Ambiental Participações
International Finance Corporation – IFC
Radar Propriedades Agrícolas
Hidrovias do Brasil
BNDES – Brazilian Development Bank
- Assisted BNDES in the privatisation procedure of the Port of Santos and Port of São Sebastião.
- Provided legal advice to IFC on the feasibility studies for the concession of federal toll roads and toll roads located in the state of Paraná.
- Advised Hidrovias in relation to the granting of the lease agreement of a brownfield salt handling terminal (STS20) located in the Port of Santos.
Acting for clients across a variety of sectors, such as sanitation, social infrastructure, transport, healthcare and logistics, Madrona Advogados‘ service offering covers public law, infrastructure and regulatory matters. São Paulo-based partner Rosane Menezes Lohbauer, who has a solid background in M&A transactions, is predominantly engaged in the structuring of infrastructure projects through concessions and PPPs. Also in São Paulo, Rodrigo Machado is retained by companies operating in regulated sectors, namely power and natural gas, while Rodolfo Tamanaha is the name to note in Brasília for administrative proceedings and litigation before the superior courts.
Rosane Menezes Lohbauer; Rodrigo Machado; Rodolfo Tamanaha
‘I think Madrona Advogados is one of the main Public Law firms in Brazil, with great specialisation in the area of infrastructure projects, especially in the modalities related to privatisation, Public-Private Partnerships and concessions. Armed with a very senior and qualified team, any serious player in the sector that wants to participate in infrastructure projects in Brazil should get to know and talk to Madrona Advogados.’
‘Rosane Menezes Lohbauer is certainly one of the main references in the country and abroad in the legal modeling of PPPs and concessions. Extremely committed, qualified and focused, she is an example to be followed internally in her office and externally by lawyers who want to work in the field of Public Law, especially in infrastructure projects.’
IDB – Inter-American Development Bank
IFC – International Finance Corporation
RB Capital Asset Management
Lemam Construções e Comércio
- Advised IFC and Caixa Econômica Federal (FEP) on the structuring, modeling and drafting of bidding documents and agreement of four street lighting PPPs.
- Advised Parquetur Participações on the structuring of a fund to participate in the auction and incorporate a SPV as new concessionaire.
- Provided legal advice to FIPE to provide assistance to the government of the state of São Paulo aiming at structuring and modeling a PPP agreement regarding three prison complexes.
Porto Lauand Advogados
Porto Lauand Advogados' regulatory and infrastructure practice handles the full spectrum of public law matters, but showcases particular strength in administrative proceedings, litigation and concession contracts. Litigation involving public law issues and infrastructure projects are some of Aline Lícia Klein's key areas of practice. Rodrigo Pinto de Campos devotes his time to constitutional, administrative and regulatory issues, and has comprehensive knowledge of the transport sector.
Rodrigo Pinto de Campos; Aline Lícia Klein
‘The firm has a great deal of expertise in Administrative Law (advisory and litigation) and this expertise was of great value to our company. In addition, they are very attentive, agile and with clear and objective guidance and feedback.’
‘Highly specialised team with extensive experience in Public Law. It combines legal-conceptual expertise with practice. Risk assessment and presentation of well-founded legal solutions. Aline Lícia Klein is great.’
‘Exemplary, punctual and assertive service when required. Extensive knowledge in the area of infrastructure and road concessions. Aline Lícia Klein is extremely competent.’
Telar Engenharia e Comércio
Arteris Via Paulista
Concessionária Rota das Bandeiras
Construtora Queiroz Galvão
Live Park Entretenimento
Engeform Engenharia e Construção
FBS Construção e Pavimentação
Concessionária das Rodovias Ayrton Senna e Carvalho Pinto – Ecopistas
Concessionária da Ponte Rio-Niterói – Ecoponte
Concessionária Ecovias do Cerrado
Zamin Amapá Mineração
Concebra — Concessionária das Rodovias Centrais do Brasil
Sindicato dos Permissionários em Centrais de Abastecimento de Alimentos do Estado de São Paulo – SINCAESP
Associação dos Permissionários da CEASA- Campinas – ASSOCEASA
Concessionária do Monotrilho da Linha 18- Bronze
Concessionária da Rodovia Osório-PortoAlegre – CONCEPA
ECO101 Concessionária de Rodovias
Ecorodovias Infraestrutura e Logística
Consórcio Caminhos da Independência
- Acted as legal advisor to the Concessionaire led by Telar in the execution of the PPP contract in relation to a housing project launched by São Paulo municipality.
- Advises Arteris on regulatory issues related to the transition of three concession agreements entered into between three Arteris Group Concessionaires and São Paulo’s Transportation Agency (ARTESP).
- Advised Arteris on all regulatory issues regarding the first four-year ordinary review of the Arteris Via Paulista Concession Agreement held before ARTESP.
Demonstrating an impressive track record in proceedings before judicial, administrative and audit courts, Silveiro Advogados is also skilled in public procurement, government contracts and cases related to fraud. The team, which boasts a strong following in the telecoms sector, is jointly led by two public law specialists - Ricardo Leal de Moraes and Manoel André da Rocha - who have decades of experience across the entire spectrum of public law mandates, including negotiations with regulatory agencies. Moraes splits his time between Porto Alegre and São Paulo and focuses on administrative law and regulatory issues. Rocha is a key contact in Porto Alegre, especially for constitutional and administrative law matters.
Ricardo Leal de Moraes; Manoel André da Rocha
‘Personalised service with a high-quality and very diligent team.’
‘Silveiro Advogados works very closely to the client, strives to understand the their needs, and manages to provide a customised service, adequate and assertive advice. Our experience with Silveiro Advogados has been excellent due to the promptness and speed of service, and the technical knowledge of the team that assisted us.’
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
Fraport Brasil Aeroporto de Porto Alegre
Banco Cooperativo Sicredi
Rio Bravo Investments
Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Companhia Zaffari Comércio e Indústria
TMSA – Tecnologia em Movimentação
IBI Participações e Negócios
Pilaplast Indústria e Comércio de Plásticos
BRISA Sociedade para o Desenvolvimento da Tecnologia de Informação
- Advised Banrisul, a semi-public bank, and established its legal guidance on duties of secrecy regarding all public funds.
- Acted for Banco Cooperativo SICREDI in a lawsuit opposing a refund sought by the federal government concerning a national public housing programme.
- Advising the Brazilian branch of one of the leading players in the global airport business, Fraport Brasil, on the liabilities in the concession of the Porto Alegre Airport.
Toledo Marchetti Advogados
The public and regulatory law department at Toledo Marchetti Advogados is a popular destination for both private and state-owned companies seeking assistance with all stages of public procurement and projects through concessions and PPPs. The practice has extensive experience in both the judicial and administrative spheres and is also equipped to act before controlling entities. Marcelo Marchetti specialises in public projects, and boasts significant expertise in the infrastructure and construction sectors. He oversees the department with João Paulo Pessoa, whose specialist areas of activity include constitutional and administrative law.
Marcelo Marchetti; João Paulo Pessoa
‘The firm has professionals with a lot of experience in my sector, which makes all the difference. It is not easy to find lawyers with so much experience in this sector, along with excellent academic background. Marcelo Marchetti and João Paulo Pessoa are my key contacts.’
‘Deep involvement in cases, professionalism and experience in arbitrations and dispute boards. Proximity to the client and skilled at obtaining the best results in the process.’
‘Their multidisciplinary vision made all the difference to our project, as they knew the business in-depth.’
‘We work directly with João Paulo Pessoa and Marcelo Marchetti. Both proved to be excellent professionals and managed to show us not only theoretical knowledge of the subjects, but also practical expertise given their past experience. In situations where we had doubts, they looked for differentiated and creative solutions. In executive meetings, they always treated everyone with professionalism.’
GE Renewable Energy
Transmissão de Energia
SPE Parque Lavras
Verzani & Sandrini
Sanpac Tecnologia Ambiental
OEC – Odebrecht Engenharia & Construção
Associação Brasileira De Energia Limpa (Abragel)
Constran – Construções e Comércio
Procable Energia e Telecomunicações
Toyo Setal Empreendimentos – TSE
Toyo Engineering CorporationTiisa Infraestrutura e Investimentos
- Assists Toyo Setal Empreendimentos (TSE) and Estaleiros do Brasil (EBR) in all major Petrobras’ bids, such as UTGCA and P- 78, and their major claims and contract amendments.
- Advises GE on public tenders, such as those provided by CHESF – Eletrobras and on the execution of public contracts, developing strategies and solutions.
- Assisting SPE Parque Lavras in the formation of the specific purpose company for signing the concession contract for the operation services, maintenance and management of the Lavras Municipal Park.