Full-service law firm Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados has a premier public and administrative law practice, which is often retained to advise on some of the most significant infrastructure projects in the market. Particularly active in the transport, logistics, sanitation and energy segments, the group of ‘highly qualified professionals‘ handles major PPPs, concession agreements, bidding processes and privatisations. On the contentious front, the team demonstrates notable strength in administrative proceedings, the negotiation of leniency programmes, and high-profile litigation before constitutional courts. A strong performer in project finance, M&A and concessions in regulated sectors, José Virgilio Enei oversees the practice. Public and regulatory law specialist Lucas Sant’Anna is frequently sought after for his expertise in PPPs, administrative improbity matters and public tenders. Rafael Vanzella is trusted by financial institutions, government bodies and contractors in financing transactions and project development matters. Pedro Saullo is another core member of the team with a strong background in PPPs, economic and financial rebalance claims, and the enforcement of administrative contracts.
Public law in Brazil
Jose Virgilio Enei
‘The team has excellent dedication to the subjects. They are very accessible (at any time and through different channels) and have in-depth knowledge of public law issues.’
‘The differential, without a doubt, is the ability to understand the peculiarities of our company’s businesses.’
‘The team always seeks innovative solutions, balancing legal certainty with business innovation.’
‘Great expertise in public and regulatory law. Highly qualified professionals, with several courses even outside the country. Quick turnaround on issues of great complexity. Diverse and up-to-date team.’
‘Rafael Vanzella is a professional of excellence. Highly qualified to resolve regulatory and public law issues regarding the most recent innovations in current legislation.’
‘Great experience and knowledge of the legal framework and the market in several infrastructure projects, able to pedagogically advise its clients and propose pragmatic solutions.’
‘Jose Virgílio Enei has a huge knowledge and experience in PPP projects and advises his clients with extreme ease.’
M1 Transportes Sustentáveis (Tembici)
Metrogreen Skyrail Concessionária da Bahia
Skyrail São Paulo Consortium
Municipality of Erechim
Monte Equity Partners
Ford Motor Company Brasil
Navegações Unidas Tapajos
Air Products Brasil
- Assisted Corporação Andina de Fomento and Programa de Parcerias de Investimento in the structuring of the rebidding of Malha Oeste, a railway network essential for the movement of freight from west to east across southern Brazil.
- Advised Ecorodovias on the execution of a leniency agreement that its concessionaires, Ecovia Caminho do Mar and EcoCataratas, entered into with the Federal Prosecution Office.
- Acted for a consortium led by GRT Partners in the public and administrative law issues related to the post-bidding for the development of Fiocruz’s health biotechnology industrial complex.
Manesco, Ramires, Perez, Azevedo Marques Sociedade de Advogados has a reputable public law practice, which attracts a strong following of major public and private sector clients. With a proven track record in high-profile administrative litigation, privatisations, concessions and PPPs, the group is called upon to handle infrastructure projects across an array of sectors, including sanitation, logistics, construction and transport. Noted for its particular strength in regulatory matters, the team is typically trusted by the Federal and State governments to advise on legal frameworks. A popular choice for both domestic and international clients, Floriano de Azevedo Marques Neto is the go-to practitioner for concessions and judicial and administrative proceedings, and was recently nominated as an effective justice of the Superior Electoral Court. He oversees the practice alongside Marcos Augusto Perez, whose expertise covers judicial actions, bid contracts and administrative improbity matters. Another core member of the team is Wladimir Antonio Ribeiro, who is an active adviser to the Federal Government on sanitation and waste management laws.
Floriano de Azevedo Marques Neto; Marcos Augusto Perez
Águas de Jahu
Fundace (Fundação para Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento da Administração, Contabilidade e Economia)
Caixa Econômica Federal
Sanepar (Companhia de Saneamento do Paraná)
Caern (Companhia de Águas e Esgotos do Rio Grande do Norte)
Buser Brasil Tecnologia
Azul Linhas Aéreas
Comexport Trading Comércio Exterior
Pronto Express Logística
Rodovia Integradas do Paraná – VIAPAR
Ciclus (Concessionárias de limpeza pública do Rio de Janeiro)
- Represented Águas de Jahú, a company controlled by Águas do Brasil, in proceedings seeking the declaration of nullity of administrative acts published by the Regulatory Agency for Water, Sewage, and Sanitation of the municipality of Jahú.
- Assisted Fundace, Fundação para Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento da Administração, Contabilidade e Economia, in a tariff review and matters related to the new water and sanitation framework.
- Acted for Caixa Econômica Federal’s Project Structuring Fund in the modelling and structuring of a water and sewage services concession in São Gonçalo do Amarante.
‘Nationally renowned‘ full-service law firm Demarest Advogados is geared to assist clients with the whole spectrum of public procurement work, from competitive biddings and concessions to project development and administrative litigation. Prominent in a wide range of segments, including sanitation, transport and waste management, the team has notable experience handling administrative improbity proceedings before the Federal Court of Accounts. Recommended for complex infrastructure projects, PPPs and privatisations, Bruno Aurélio shares the practice’s leadership with telecoms specialist Tomás Paiva. In January 2023, the team was strengthened by the promotions of concession and PPPs expert Renan Sona and Izabella Reis, who focuses on the mining sector, to partner.
Bruno Aurélio; Tomás Paiva; Renan Sona
‘The team is highly committed to delivery and always willing to discuss as much as possible the approach strategies to be implemented.’
‘Bruno Aurélio and Renan Sona are recommended for their professionalism, expertise and commitment to deliveries.’
‘The team is always ready to assist with client solutions, seeking a balance between the law and expectations. A nationally renowned firm which is a reference in terms of performance.’
‘Bruno Aurélio is a professional with extensive experience in public law, promoting solutions in the most complex situations of public and private relationships, establishing fundamental equity in public affairs.’
Aena Desarollo Internacional
Bloco de Onze Aeroportos do Brasil
Agemar Empreendimentos e Participações
Ecorodovias Concessões e Infraestrutura
Socicam Administração, Projetos e Representações
Louis Dreyfus Company Brasil
Concessionária Rodovia Tamoios
HCC Projetos Elétricos
Smart RJ Concessionária de Iluminação Pública
Empresa Concessionária de Rodovias do Sul (Ecosul)
Empresa de Planejamento e Logística (EPL)
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES)
Concessionária de Iluminação Pública Conecta Aracaju
Concessionária de Iluminação Pública Conecta Feira de Santana
Concessionaria De Iluminação Publica Conecta Campinas
Parques Fundo de Investimento em Participações em Infraestrutura
TB Serviços, Transporte, Limpeza, Gerenciamento e Recursos Humanos
Banco de Desenvolvimento de Minas Gerais
- Advised Nova Norte Consortium on a public auction for the concession of public services regarding the expansion, maintenance and operation of airports.
- Represented Conecta Campinas Consortium in the public bid for a PPP, involving the development, modernisation, expansion, energy efficiency, operation and maintenance of the municipal public lighting network of Campinas.
- Advised Ecorodovias Concessões e Infraestrutura on an international tender for the concession of public services for the expansion, operation, conservation, and maintenance of the Lote Noroeste Paulista motorway system.
Highly rated for its specialism in public law and strategic litigation, Giamundo Neto Advogados is known for its impressive track record in administrative disputes, especially proceedings before the Federal Court of Accounts. Noted for its broad offering, clients turn to the team for assistance with administrative improbity claims, PPPs, public biddings, concessions and project development. Founding partner Giuseppe Giamundo Neto is particularly active in the construction and sanitation sectors, where he advises on public contracts and litigation. Camillo Giamundo has extensive experience in infrastructure projects, while Thays Chrystina Munhoz de Freitas focuses on concessions, government contracts and administrative improbity matters. Leniency agreements, compliance and concessions are all areas of expertise for Christian Fernandes Rosa.
Giuseppe Giamundo Neto; Camillo Giamundo; Thays Chrystina Munhoz de Freitas; Christian Fernandes Rosa
‘High technical capacity. The team is qualified and able to provide a personalised service, with quick responses and consistent fees.’
‘Giuseppe Giamundo Neto has exceptional technique and a lot of experience in the construction and infrastructure sectors.’
‘The way of working, the ease of communication between lawyers and engineers, the clarity of communication and the quality of the service provided differentiate the firm.’
‘Two very diverse sectors converge here: the Cartesianism of engineers and the reasoning of law, with an understanding of magnitude, complexity, risks, etc., which makes us very confident to proceed.’
‘Camillo Giamundo assists us, supported by teams designed according to demand. He has full knowledge of progress, and gives us security.’
‘The team is extremely technical, without losing objectivity. They have delivered excellent results, always with a lot of dedication.’
‘Giuseppe Giamundo Neto invariably offers a solution that we had not thought of. We rely on him for the most sensitive and strategic issues.’
‘Technical knowledge combined with business strategies differentiate the firm.’
GS Inima Brasil
FIPE – Fundação Instituto de Pesquisas Econômicas
Nuctech do Brasil
Andrade Gutierrez Engenharia
DASA – Diagnósticos da América
Usina São Paulo
Ponta dos Ganchos Empreendimentos Turísticos
Hagaplan Planejamento e Projetos
Grupo Elis Brasil
Carioca Christiani-Nielsen Engenharia
Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa
Sacyr Construcción Brasil
Dubai Ports World (DPWorld)
BRK Ambiental Participações
Socicam Administração Projetos e Representações
Grupo Queiroz Galvão
Sondotécnica Engenharia de Solos
Fabrica Carioca de Catalisadores
- Represented Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa in a dispute regarding a leniency agreement against the Federal Court of Accounts.
- Assisted Monte Santo Consortium with a public tender for the concession of 22 public cemeteries in the city of São Paulo, in addition to the creation of three crematoria.
- Acted for Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa in a claim against the Federal Court of Accounts concerning irregularities in a construction contract.
Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini Advogados
With offices in Curitiba, Brasília and São Paulo, Justen, Pereira, Oliveira & Talamini Advogados boasts a longstanding presence in the public law space. The team excels in government contracts, PPPs and infrastructure projects, and is also a skilled performer in regulatory compliance and dispute resolution. 'A reference in the market', Marçal Justen Filho is a key contact for energy regulatory and anticorruption matters, as well as PPPs and infrastructure projects. Cesar Pereira advises on infrastructure projects in the renewables, construction and logistics segments. Funding and corporate law-related issues are a core area of activity for Rafael Wallbach Schwind. Fernão Justen de Oliveira and Alexandre Wagner Nester have extensive experience in administrative law and arbitration proceedings. Eduardo Talamini and Andre Guskow Cardoso are other key names to note.
Marçal Justen Filho; Cesar Pereira; Fernão Justen de Oliveira; Eduardo Talamini; André Guskow Cardoso; Alexandre Wagner Nester; Rafael Wallbach Schwind; Marçal Justen Neto
‘Very prepared and professional team. Well-organised internal processes.’
‘The professionals are excellent and always serve you very quickly and objectively. Exceptional legal knowledge.’
‘Dynamic, innovative team, with professionals highly qualified in Brazilian law.’
Concorde Administração de Bens
Call Tecnologia e Serviços
White Martins Gases Industriais
Embrasil Empresa Brasileira de Segurança
Construtora A Gaspar
Associação Polo Rio Cine Vídeo e Comunicação – RIOCOM
KPE Performance em Engenharia (Metha Group)
Nec Latin America
MKPEG Arquitetura e Urbanismo
Audac Serviços Especializados de Atendimento ao Cliente
- Represented Call Tecnologia e Serviços in a judicial dispute against the municipal government of São Paulo, seeking to enforce the client’s contractual rights for payment.
- Acted for White Martins Gases Industriais in several claims against its competitors, seeking to obtain judicial recognition of its right to participate in biddings.
- Advised Embrasil Empresa Brasileira de Segurança on two biddings conducted by SANEPAR, the sanitation company of the state of Paraná.
Praised for its ‘outstanding legal capacity‘, Mattos Filho‘s public law department is best known for its strong regulatory and transactional expertise. The team acts for a wide range of foreign and domestic clients, including contractors, construction companies, insurance firms, private equity funds and financial institutions in the full array of public law matters. Typical mandates include public tenders, PPPs, administrative and punitive proceedings, concessions, and M&A involving companies subject to government regulations. Administrative law expert André Luiz Freire is a key contact for public auctions and proceedings before regulatory agencies. Thiago Luís Sombra handles matters related to public law, anticorruption and technology, including investigations and government contracts. Recently promoted partner Henrique Lago da Silveira is building a strong practice in matters related to state-owned companies and concessions for transport and sanitation projects. In March 2023, associate Victor Jacuru left the firm.
‘What sets Mattos Filho apart from the others is the diversity and quality of its team. Clients can expect to be assisted by good professionals in all areas.’
‘The support received by André Luiz Freire’s team is sensational.’
‘We have been very close over the last few months with our most important issue and they have been spectacular. We could not be better assisted.’
‘Mattos Filho has an outstanding legal capacity and expertise. Fast service and always very close to clients. Henrique Silveira Lago is recommended.’
Ecorodovias Infraestrutura e Logística
Concessionária Aeroporto Rio de Janeiro
Google Brasil Internet
Banco BTG Pactual
Vinci Infraestrutura Gestora de Recursos
Concessionária do Monotrilho da Linha 18 – Bronze
VTCLOG Operadora Logística
IBM Brasil – Industria, Máquinas e Serviços
Kyocera Solar do Brasil
KINETIC Pressure Control
International Finance Corporation – IFC
Acciona do Brasil
- Assisted Concessionária Aeroporto Rio de Janeiro in the re-auction of the Galeão International Airport.
- Advised IFC on the concession matters related to the sanitation services of 96 municipalities in the state of Minas Gerais.
- Represented IBM in a preparatory proceeding carried out by the Public Prosecution Office within the Minas Gerais Court of Audits.
Pereira Neto | Macedo | Rocco Advogados
Pereira Neto | Macedo | Rocco Advogados demonstrates particular strength in the telecoms and technology segments, where it assists household names in public procurement matters and proceedings before regulatory agencies. Concessions, administrative improbity claims, public law litigation and antitrust matters are all key pillars of the practice, which is also prominent in the transport, energy, sanitation and mining spaces. With extensive experience acting for both public and private sector clients, competition law expert Caio Mario da Silva Pereira Neto jointly oversees the department with telecoms specialist Mateus Piva Adami and Daniel Douek, who is skilled in competition law and compliance. Senior associate Marina Cardoso de Freitas is noted for her expertise in concessions, bidding processes and public law contracts.
Caio Mario da Silva Pereira Neto; Mateus Piva Adami; Daniel Douek
Conexis Brasil Digital
Associação Brasileira de Concessionárias de Serviço Telefônico Fixo Comutado (Abrafix)
Syngenta Proteção de Cultivos
Serveng Civilsan – Empresas Associadas de Engenharia
- Advised Oi on the implementation of the amendment to its judicial recovery plan and arbitration proceedings against Anatel.
- Acted for Syngenta in two environmental damages claims regarding the misuse of agrichemical substances in Brazil by Aerotex.
- Assisted Conexis, the major telecom syndicate, with a legal opinion concerning the utility poles sharing regulation.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados assists private sector clients in public procurement matters at the federal, state and local levels. In addition to its extensive experience in concessions, privatisations, PPPs and competitive bids, the team excels in litigation involving administrative improbity, public contracts and regulatory matters. Led by Bruno Werneck, the department is frequently engaged in major projects in the sanitation, mining, energy, transport and logistics segments. Senior associate Juliana Deguirmendjian is noted for her broad practice, which encompasses administrative proceedings, government contracts, PPPs and concessions, while associate Julio Barboza is recommended for project development matters.
Equipav Pavimentação, Engenharia e Comércio
Veolia Serviços Ambientais
Aegea Saneamento e Participações
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES
Generate Capital INC
CRCC International Investment Group
Águas do Rio
Companhia de Saneamento Básico do Estado de São Paulo – SABESP
Louis Dreyfus Company Brasil
Monte Equity Partners
United Nations Development Programme – UNDP
Associação Brasileira de Operadores Logísticos – ABOL
- Advised BNDES on the privatisation of Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras – Eletrobras, one of the largest privatisations in Brazilian history.
- Acted for BNDES in the privatisation of Companhia Brasileira de Trens Urbanos – CBTU, the first urban mobility project ever structured by BNDES.
- Assisted AEGEA with its successful bid to acquire Companhia Riograndense de Saneamento – CORSAN.
Praised for its ‘extensive theoretical and practical knowledge‘, TozziniFreire Advogados‘ government projects and contracts team offers clients a comprehensive service, covering PPPs, public procurement and litigation. The practice has a wealth of experience in infrastructure projects and privatisations in the water and sewage, transport and logistics sectors. Regulatory matters and administrative litigation are other key areas of strength for the group, which is frequently instructed in proceedings before regulatory bodies and the Federal Court of Accounts. José Augusto Dias de Castro handles public contracts and compliance matters, Caio Loureiro advises on PPPs and concessions, and Marcelo Zenkner is recommended for anti-corruption compliance matters. Claudio Timm is no longer with the firm.
Caio Loureiro; José Augusto Dias de Castro; Marcelo Zenkner
‘The team has advised us on various matters with great competence and quality.’
‘High professional qualifications and knowledge, guaranteeing assertive answers and always within deadlines.’
‘José Augusto Dias de Castro has high professional training, knowledge and ability to meet deadlines.’
‘The team is differentiated by the personal performance of the partners, high level of the team, and extensive theoretical and practical knowledge of the area in which it operates.’
‘Marcelo Zenkner is a reference in matters related to fraud and corruption, having deep theoretical and practical knowledge of the subject.’
‘Marcelo Zenkner is personally dedicated to the issues for which he is hired, giving due seniority to the case and seeking practical solutions to extremely complex issues.’
Mexichem (Orbia) Group
CSN – Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional
Estrela Instantanêa Loteria SPE
IGT Global Services Limited
Scientific Games Investments Itália
- Advises Accenture on a wide range of public law matters, including public biddings, contract performance, administrative proceedings and regulatory matters.
- Assisted IDB Invest and Fundação Butantan with the drafting of the bid documents and construction agreements for two new vaccination production plants.
- Acted for Acciona in regulatory matters related to the construction of line 6 of the São Paulo metro system.
With a strong presence in São Paulo and Belo Horizonte, Azevedo Sette Advogados is well equipped to handle public projects in a wide range of sectors, including healthcare, transport, mining, energy and sanitation. Its offering is equally broad; typical mandates range from privatisations and public tenders to administrative litigation and concession contracts. Frederico Bopp Dieterich, who possesses over three decades’ experience advising on the regulatory and administrative aspects of public projects, jointly oversees the department with real estate group head Leonardo Costa de Souza. Bruna Bouissou is another core member of the team, with a strong background in PPPs, concessions, and contractual matters.
Frederico Bopp Dieterich; Leonardo Costa de Souza
‘Dedicated team close to the clients.’
‘Leonardo Moreira Costa de Souza is very accessible and solution-focused.’
‘Excellent law firm that provides legal support for all group assets.’
‘Azevedo Sette has permanently guaranteed a high quality of services, combining the highly qualified teams with vast knowledge of the market and legislation.’
Porto De Cima Concessões
Aln Gás E Energia
Kavak Tecnologia e Comércio de Veículos
Andrade Gutierrez Group
Ozn Health Spe
BNDES (Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social)
Baker Tilly Brasil Mg Auditores Independentes
Empresa Construtora Brasil
Sano Saneamento e Participações
- Advised CCR on the structuring of a new mobility plan focused on intercity bus transport in the Belo Horizonte metropolitan area.
- Assisted Andrade Gutierrez Group in its divestment in a major infrastructure and public company.
- Advised BNDES on a PPP regarding sewage services in the state of Ceará.
Based in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, the public law group at BMA Advogados is noted for its expertise in regulated sectors. The team is well versed in licensing processes, public biddings, concessions and competitive contracting procedures. Public law litigation, including administrative proceedings, judicial reviews and government disputes, is also at the core of the practice. Well regarded for her experience in infrastructure projects in the sanitation, logistics and transport segments, Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho leads on major concessions and bidding procedures. She jointly heads up the team with José Guilherme Berman, whose practice covers regulatory enforcement, compliance, investigations and litigation. Associate Mayna Dias Melo is often engaged in administrative law matters and concessions.
José Guilherme Berman; Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho
‘The firm has a wide capacity to serve clients in several areas of law, maintaining the quality of service and delivery of results to clients.’
‘Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho stands out for her knowledge and experience in administrative, regulatory and infrastructure law.’
Santos Brasil Participações
DC Set Participações
PPR Pepira Empreendimentos e Participações
MC Brazil (Mubadala)
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul – Banrisul
Several Petrobras’ former executives
Carrefour Comércio e Indústria
Confederação Brasileira de Futebol – CBF
Companhia Brasileira de Projetos e Obras – CBPO
Ciclus Ambiental do Brasil
Centrais Elétricas Brasileiras – Eletrobras
- Assisted Carrefour in regulatory matters regarding its app Nutriescolha, which is designed to provide nutritional information to consumers.
- Represented BANRISUL, the Bank of Rio Grande do Sul, and several members of its board of directors in proceedings filed by Rio Grande do Sul Public Prosecutor’s Office, seeking to annul the appointment of public servants to the bank’s board.
- Advised Tenaris on a public bidding held by Petrobras for the purchase of pipes and connectors used in the extraction of oil from pre-salt layer in the Campos Basin.
At Felsberg Advogados, the ‘diligent, knowledgeable and caring’ public law department is geared to handle advisory, contentious and administrative law matters. Active in a wide range of segments, including media, energy, oil and gas, sanitation and telecoms, the team is typically engaged in large infrastructure projects, bidding procedures and PPPs. Singled out for her extensive experience in public law and life sciences, Marianne Albers excels in proceedings and negotiations before regulatory agencies. She co-leads the practice with Rodrigo Bertoccelli, a go-to adviser for infrastructure projects, with a focus on the sanitation and mobility sectors.
Marianne Albers; Rodrigo Bertoccelli
‘Diligent, knowledgeable and caring.’
Campo Grande City Hall
Cassilandia City Hall
Fundação Agência da Bacia Hidrográfica do Alto Tietê (FABHAT)
Ogilvy & Mather
- Acted for BNDES in a public bid concerning a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services in the state of Alagoas.
- Advised BNDES on the development of a PPP for the concession of water and sewage services in 93 municipalities in the state of Paraíba.
- Assisted Unigel with the risk assessment and due diligence regarding the acquisition of public assets during a divestment proceeding of Petrobrás.
The ‘excellent’ public law team at Lefosse Advogados offers domestic and international clients legal support in concessions, PPPs, administrative contracts and public tenders. The group has been particularly busy handling privatisations in key industries, most notably oil and gas, logistics and sanitation. Leading the practice is Eduardo Carvalhaes, who is highly experienced in regulated markets and often handles PPPs, concessions and bids. Senior associates Beatriz Ghosn and Karen Coutinho are noted for their expertise in competitive biddings and administrative proceedings. The team was recently strengthened by the addition of senior associate Mariana Antunes, who joined from Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper in May 2022, and is knowledgeable of the infrastructure, sanitation and logistics sectors.
‘An excellent team.’
‘The area of public law is outstanding. The service stands out beyond the quality and technical expertise, combining commitment with the contractor’s results.’
Aena Desarrollo Internacional
XP INFRA IV Fundo de Investimento em Participações em Infraestrutur – XP
Neko Servicos de Comunicações Entretenimento e Educação
Enerfin do Brasil Sociedade de Energia – ENERFIN
Companhia Riograndense de Saneamento
LabWare Brasil Serviços de Informática
MIP V Holdings II
Winity II Telecom
Diagnósticos da América
Tereos Açúcar e Energia Brasil
XP Vista Asset Management
- Advised Aena on its participation in the seventh round of airport privatisations promoted by the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC).
- Acted for CORSAN in the analysis of all regulatory and public law aspects related to its privatisation.
- Advised MIP V, an affiliate of Macquarie Asset Management, on the regulatory and public law aspects related to the investment by three funds.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados is often engaged in complex and high-profile public law mandates in key industries, most notably life sciences, transport, sanitation and defence. The team is equipped to handle concessions, PPPs, government contracts and privatisations, as well as judicial and administrative disputes. Ricardo Pagliari Levy has a wealth of experience in public procurement matters, anti-corruption issues and administrative misconduct cases. Marcello Bernardes is a key contact for infrastructure projects and related litigation, while counsel Elina Cunha Friedl handles a mix of public biddings, concessions and litigation. At the associate level, Heloisa Figueiredo Ferraz and Samuel Lopes Parmegiani assist with public procurement and government contracts.
Public Investment Fund (PIF)
Caixa Econômica Federal
- Advised Pfizer on the negotiations with the Brazilian government for the supply of Paxlovid, a SARS-CoV2 inhibitor.
- Acted for Concessionária da Rodovia dos Lagos in two actions, seeking the annulment of the 8th and 10th amendments to the concession agreement of Rodovia dos Lagos (RJ-124).
- Represented Concessionária do Rodoanel Oeste in a claim against the state of Pernambuco and ARTESP, the Transportation Agency of São Paulo, seeking the economic rebalance of a concession agreement.
Sundfeld Advogados operates exclusively in the public law and regulatory spheres, offering clients solid advice in the context of administrative, economic, constitutional and urban rights matters. Founding partner Carlos Ari Sundfeld is recognised for his expertise in public procurement and contentious matters.
Tojal Renault Advogados
With ‘a high degree of excellence’, boutique law firm Tojal Renault Advogados assists leading domestic and international clients in biddings, public hearings, concessions, PPPs and administrative contracts, among other matters. The ‘technical, experienced and highly qualified‘ group is singled out for its expertise in judicial and administrative disputes, as well as for its performance in the negotiation of leniency agreements with state and federal bodies. Founding partner Sebastião Botto de Barros Tojal, who is especially active in the logistics, transport and banking segments, co-heads the team with fellow founder Jorge Henrique de Oliveira Souza, the trusted adviser to several infrastructure clients. Another key name is founding partner Sérgio Rabello Tamm Renault, whose practice covers administrative improbity claims, bidding processes and infrastructure projects.
Sebastião Botto de Barros Tojal; Jorge Henrique de Oliveira Souza
‘Technical (administrative and regulatory law) and market (ports and logistics) knowledge sets the team apart from other law firms. As it is a smaller firm, the service is more humanised and they are always accessible.’
‘Everyone has a lot of technical knowledge of the subjects and is accessible and friendly.’
‘Technical, experienced and highly qualified professionals that distinguish it from other offices operating in the field of administrative/regulatory law.’
ABECIP – Associação Brasileira das Entidades de Crédito Imobiliário e Poupança
ABRACE | Associação Brasileira de Grandes Consumidores Industriais de Energia e de Consumidores Livres
CBA – Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
CCEE – Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica
Drogaria São Paulo (DPSP GROUP)
ECOPISTAS – Concessionária das rodovias Ayrton Senna e Carvalho Pinto
ECOVIAS – Concessionária Ecovias dos Imigrantes
Empresa Brasileira de Terminais e Armazéns Gerais – Grupo AGEO
PORTOCEL – Terminal Especializado de Barra do Riacho
Nacional de Grafite
CESP – Companhia Energética de São Paulo
- Advised COFCO Group on the extension of its port lease agreement and the bidding process launched by the federal government for the exploration of an area of the Port of Santos.
- Acted for FEBRABAN and ABECS on matters in connection with Municipal Parliamentary Inquiry Commissions regarding the collection of taxes in the banking sector.
- Represented Grupo Ecorodovias in annulment actions against ARTESP, the Regulatory Agency of Delegated Public Services of Transportation of the State of São Paulo.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
The public law team at Trench Rossi Watanabe is well versed in transactional, advisory and contentious matters. Highly rated for its ‘in-depth knowledge of the port sector’, the group assists leading domestic and international clients in complex public tenders, concessions, privatisations and negotiations with public bodies. Administrative and judicial disputes also feature on the practice’s varied workload. Department head Heloisa Uelze, who is proficient in administrative improbity cases, regulatory compliance and public law litigation, works alongside Henrique Frizzo, a key contact for government contracts, concessions and PPPs. Bruno Burini oversees the Brasília office and is active in government relations, antitrust and contentious matters. Bruno Duarte is often sought out by clients looking for representation in negotiations with governmental bodies and regulatory agencies.
‘In-depth knowledge of the port sector, excellent delivery technique, and consistently constructive discussions.’
‘Bruno Burini acts proactively, always thinking about the client. He has solid technical and political knowledge of the port sector.’
‘The professionals take care of the topics submitted for examination as if they are unique, looking for individual solutions to serve clients in the best possible way.’
Air Liquide do Brasil
Alliance Indústria de Tabaco
Asperbras Tubos e Conexões
Instituto Brasileiro do Petróleo – IBP
Johnson e Johnson
C6 Sistemas/C6 Launch Systems
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Estaleiro Jurong Aracruz
- Represented Conselho Curador dos Honorários Advocatícios in an action of unconstitutionality before the Supreme Court.
- Acted for C6 Launch Systems in a project for the setting up of a satellite launching operation from Brazil’s Alcântara Space Center.
- Assisted Marimex – Despachos, Transportes e Serviços and Tranbrasa Transitária Brasileira in a multijurisdictional discussion about maritime container terminals operating in the Port of Santos through a surcharge practice since 2003.
Split between Brasília and São Paulo, the public law team at Veirano Advogados is uniquely positioned to handle administrative and judicial proceedings before federal courts and regulatory agencies. Standing out for its strength in the energy, infrastructure and natural resources segments, the group offers assistance to domestic and international clients in concessions, PPPs, and public tenders. The practice was recently boosted by the arrival of former Mundie e Advogados‘ practitioners Elinor Cotait, who now leads the team, and Ana Claudia Beppu, who brings a wealth of experience in administrative and regulatory matters. Another key addition includes counsel Ana Beatriz Robalinho, who excels in constitutional litigation. Marcelo Reinecken and Mauro Hiane de Moura are other key names for cases before the Brazilian Supreme Court, the Superior Court of Justice and the Administrative Council of Tax Appeals (CARF).
‘Veirano Advogados has highly technically competent lawyers who assist in our daily activities.’
‘Mauro Hiane de Moura assists us in public law matters. He is a professional who masters the topic, bringing us clear and precise solutions. Always available for conversations and meetings.’
Autotrac Comércio e Telecomunicações
SAMA – Minerações Associadas
APROBIO – Associação Dos Produtores De Biocombustíveis Do Brasil
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES)
Rappi Brasil Intermediações de Negócios
Parque Bondinho Pão de Açúcar
Norsk Hydro Brasil
Yara Brasil Fertilizantes
NTT Comércio e Serviços de Tecnologia
- Assisted Ferrovia Centro Atlântica and MRS Logística in the tender for the management and operation of the Port of Santos’ internal railway.
- Acted for GRU Airport in a negotiation with the Brazilian Aviation Authority (ANAC) regarding the amendment to the concession agreement of Guarulhos Airport.
- Represented BNDES and a number of Brazilian and international financial institutions in connection with the financing of the construction and operation of the São Paulo subway line 6 project.
Praised for its ‘extensive knowledge, efficiency and ability to offer technical solutions‘, Almeida Advogados is geared to handle a wide range of public law matters, from competitive biddings and government contracts to PPPs and infraction notices. On the contentious front, clients regularly seek the group’s support in litigation against government bodies and public civil actions. Rafael Zinato Moreira showcases extensive experience in infrastructure projects and administrative law matters. At the associate level, Pedro Argenta Bayardino is noted for civil and administrative law matters. Igor Luna and Luísa Sottili left the firm in August 2023.
Rafael Zinato Moreira
‘Almeida Advogados has consistently supported the company where I work in all aspects and needs. It is a law firm that, in addition to being part of a global structure, has a proactive mindset.’
‘Almeida Advogados has demonstrated extensive knowledge, efficiency and ability to offer technical solutions in the legal sphere, especially in projects of Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) and public concessions. We have always been assisted by Rafael Zinato Moreira and his technical team.’
Permian Global Research Limited
Construtora Mello Azevedo
Orizon Meio Ambiente
Central De Tratamento De Resíduos Guajará
Stericycle Gestão Ambiental
Terra Santa Administradora De Cemitérios E Imóveis
Certisign Certificadora Digital
WMB Comércio Eletrônico
Instituto Cidadania Digital
Citeluz Serviços De Iluminação
Buser Brasil Tecnologia
Santa Vitória Açúcar E Alcool
Salina Diamante Branco
Ciano Soluções Ambientais
- Represented Salina Diamante Branco in a public civil action related to the collection of moral damages for cartel formation.
- Assisted Ciano Soluções Ambientais with legal feasibility studies and elaboration of a PPP for public services.
- Represented BRK in a major investigation regarding water quality in Brazil, which involved more than 300 companies.
Aroeira Salles Advogados
The public law practice at Aroeira Salles Advogados is known for its ‘qualified professionals that offer an excellent service’. Multinational and leading domestic companies turn to the group for assistance in public law projects and related contentious matters, including disputes before the Federal Court of Accounts. Led by founding partner Alexandre Aroeira Salles, the team is particularly active in the infrastructure, construction, and energy sectors. Francisco de Melo Franco Ferreira is recommended for anti-corruption matters and judicial review cases. A key name in the São Paulo office, Nayron Sousa Russo is noted for his expertise in concessions, administrative proceedings and PPPs in the oil and gas segment.
Alexandre Aroeira Salles
‘Qualified professionals dedicated to clients’ procedural matters, serving with excellence.’
‘The team’s knowledge of the heavy construction market is very extensive, which helps a lot in the conduct of processes and guidelines in general.’
‘Partner Francisco de Melo Franco is a genius, very capable and extremely clear in his positions and guidelines.’
- Advised Telefonica on proceedings before the Federal Court of Accounts relating to the process of adapting Brazil’s fixed telephony concessions to an authorisation regime.
- Represented a consortium of companies (Consórcio Cetenco Acciona Ferreira Guedes (Agis)) in proceedings relating to works undertaken on line 2 of the São Paulo metro.
- Advised a consortium of construction companies, including Carioca Christiani Nielsen Engenharia, CNO and Álya Construtora, on administrative and judicial review proceedings regarding works undertaken on line 4 of the Rio de Janeiro metro.
Braz, Coelho, Campos, Veras, Lessa e Bueno Advogados
In June 2022, Braz Campos Advogados and LL Advogados merged to create Braz, Coelho, Campos, Veras, Lessa e Bueno Advogados. Praised for combining ‘high technical knowledge with agility and absolute availability’, the group is noted for its extensive experience in regulatory matters, administrative litigation, PPPs and concessions, with a focus on the infrastructure sector. Founding partner Felipe Henrique Braz is a key contact for arbitration proceedings and public procurement matters in regulated sectors such as energy, logistics and transport. He oversees the practice alongside administrative law specialist Rafael Véras de Freitas and Leonardo Coelho Ribeiro, who is a key contact for regulatory matters related to infrastructure projects.
Rafael Véras de Freitas; Leonardo Coelho Ribeiro; Felipe Henrique Braz
‘Committed to results, deadlines and transparency in processes. Emphasis on the way in which they present proposals for solutions and coping with processes.’
‘From the beginning, the client has a general understanding of the steps, deadlines, limits and challenges that will be involved in the work.’
‘Felipe Henrique Braz is committed to results and deliveries. Can quickly understand complex situations and face them pragmatically.’
OHL – Obrascon Huarte Lain
Águas do Rio
Global Investment Corporation – GIC (Singapore Sovereign Fund)
Petrobras Transporte (Transpetro)
Terminal de Veículos de Santos (Santos Brasil)
Concessionária da Rodovia dos Lagos
Concessionária Via Rio
Lamsa (Linha Amarela)
- Assisted Braskem with an indemnity agreement for lost profits arising from soil erosion in the city of Maceió.
- Advised Linha Amarela on the scenario of a judicial authorisation of a mandatory takeover of the Linha Amarela municipal expressway by the municipality of Rio de Janeiro.
- Advised Petrobrás Transportes (Transpetro) on the administrative process in relation to the lease of Alemoa Terminal in the Port of Santos.
Cescon Barrieu boasts a wealth of experience handling both advisory and contentious public law matters. Regular instructions see the team advise on administrative contracts, PPPs, regulatory disputes and tender proceedings. Leading the team is Mário Saadi, who is frequently engaged in projects and administrative law matters in the ports, airports, motorways and urban mobility segments. He works alongside associate Matheus Palhares Vieira, who is trusted by concessionaires, state-owned and private companies seeking assistance with public contracts, bidding procedures, and concessions.
Cia Faranaense de Energia – Copel (Copel Holding)
SPE Cortel Holding
Banco Nacional do Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES
PNUD – Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento
- Advised Enel X Brasil on the winning offers for the grant of public lighting services in the cities of Caruaru and Jaboatão, both located in the state of Pernambuco.
- Acted for a consortium formed by Zion and Cortel in the granting of management rights of public graveyards located in the city of São Paulo.
- Assisted UNDP in carrying out regular analyses for the potential change in the medicine pricing methodology in Brazil.
Following the merger of Fialho Salles Advogados and Madrona Advogados in February 2023, Madrona Fialho Advogados draws on a combination of broad non-contentious and specialised contentious expertise. With a strong portfolio in water, sewage and sanitation, the team frequently handles PPPs, concession agreements and public bids. Based in Belo Horizonte, Anderson Novais focuses on the economic and financial balance of concession agreements, and Gustavo Magalhães supports clients in major regulatory and infrastructure matters. The São Paulo team is headed by Gustavo Uchiyama, who is well versed in complex administrative law matters, Rodrigo Machado, a specialist in the power sector, and Rodrigo Barata, who joined from ARTESP in August 2022 and has 'a deep knowledge of administrative law'. Rosane Menezes Lohbauer left the firm in January 2023.
Anderson Novais; Gustavo Magalhães; Gustavo Uchiyama; Rodrigo Machado; Rodrigo Barata
‘The firm works in a very integrated way and treats the client in a very personalised way.’
‘The team has a lot of technical depth, and its professionals seek to deepen and study subjects very specific to the client’s area of expertise in a multidisciplinary way.’
‘Rodrigo Barata has a deep knowledge of administrative law. Also very important to our activities is the fact that he knows public administration through his previous experience in the public sector.’
‘The work done by the professionals is of high and technical quality.’
‘We value the experience of partners in public administration.’
‘The team has excellent technical capacity and market experience. Lawyers have business experience and theoretical and practical knowledge, which greatly contributes to the legal solution presented being effective and more appropriate to reality.’
Permian Global Research Limited
Companhia Saneamento Jundiai – CSJ
Banco BTG Pactual
Luz Belém SPA (CONASA Group)
Concessionária SPMar (Grupo Bertin)
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES
Shopping do Cidadão Serviços e Informática
Aegea Saneamento e Participações
Equipav Rodovias Participações e Administração
Monte Equity Partners Gestão de Recursos
Orizon Meio Ambiente
CBMM – Companhia Brasileira de Metalurgia e Mineração
BH Iluminação Pública
Buser Brasil Tecnologia
Canopus Construções e Empreendimentos
Concessionária de Saneamento do Amapá SPE
Confederação Nacional da Indústria (CNI)
CSUL Desenvolvimento Urbano
Empresa Construtora Brasil and Suma Brasil – Serviços Urbanos e Meio Ambiente (Mota-Engil Group)
Gestores Prisionais Associados – GPA (PPP)
GS Inima Brasil
Hidro Forte Administração e Operação
Hy Brazil Energia
OECI (Novonor Group)
OEngenharia (Vinci Group)
SPE Inova BH and SPE Saúde Primária BH (PPPs Transpes Group)
Waterfy Partners Participações
- Advised Monte Rodovias on the bidding procedure related to federal and state roads in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul.
- Advised BH Iluminação Pública on the negotiation of an amendment to a PPP agreement for street lighting facilities in the municipality of Belo Horizonte.
- Advised Ambiental Metrosul Concessionária de Saneamento SPE on the development of legal strategies and extrajudicial measures for maintaining the economic and financial balance of a PPP.
Mudrovitsch Advogados demonstrates particular strength in public and constitutional law matters. Offering clients a comprehensive service covering administrative and regulatory matters, the team is noted for its proven track record in litigation before the superior courts and regulatory agencies. Founding partner Rodrigo Mudrovitsch advises a varied client roster comprised of energy, water and sewage, construction and telecoms companies. He jointly leads the practice with Raphael Carvalho, who is proficient in public and constitutional law. Raphael Marcelino left the firm in June 2022.
Rodrigo Mudrovitsch; Raphael Carvalho
‘The partners have extensive experience in public law.’
Termo Norte Energia
Patrimonial Ilha dos Frades
Enforce Gestão de Ativos
Cosan Lubrificantes e Especialidades
Util – Uniao Transporte Interestadual de Luxo
Engie Brasil Energia
Contern Construções e Comércio
Banco BTG Pactual
Odebrecht Engenharia e Construção
Universidade Paulista – UNIP
Sia Offices Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Concessionária do Centro Administrativo do Distrito Federal – Centrad
Centro Universitário Planalto do Distrito Federal – UNIPLAN
- Represented Energia Sustentável do Brasil (ESBR) in a claim against the Brazilian Electricity Regulatory Agency (ANEEL), seeking compensation for breach of a concession agreement.
- Acted for Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa in an administrative improbity claim against the Attorney General’s Office of the state of São Paulo.
- Acted for Banco Econômico in a dispute involving the validity of contracts and alleged administrative improbity.
Palma Guedes Advogados
At Palma Guedes Advogados, the public law department assists clients with regulatory matters and litigation at the federal, state and local levels. The team is the go-to adviser for clients seeking assistance with legislative hearings, inquiry commissions, amicus curiae cases and infrastructure projects. Founding partner Alvaro Palma de Jorge is recommended for administrative, constitutional and environmental law matters. He oversees the practice alongside founding partner Demian Guedes and Glaucia Corti Tavares, who together have extensive experience advising on concessions, PPPs and infrastructure projects, as well as judicial and administrative litigation.
Alvaro Palma de Jorge; Demian Guedes; Glaucia Corti Tavares
‘Competent professionals who stand out for the way they treat their clients and provide services. Very focused on the business, client and on solving the problem.’
‘I highlight Glaucia Corti Tavares and Demian Guedes, who make all the difference in our daily lives.’
RIOgaleão (Concessionária Aeroporto Rio de Janeiro)
Fluminense Football Club
Airbnb Serviços Digitais
Zurich Airport Latin America
Zona Oeste Mais Saneamento – FAB Zona Oeste
G4S Interativa Service
- Represented Odebrecht Engenharia e Construção Internacional in administrative and judicial claims regarding the construction agreement of the BRT Transoeste.
- Advised Ambev on a legal strategy and measures to challenge a decision rendered by the Audit Institution of the state of Rio de Janeiro.
- Assisted RIOgaleão with regulatory matters and a case before the Federal Court of Accounts.
‘Renowned firm‘ Vernalha Pereira Advogados has a strong reputation for both contentious and non-contentious matters, assisting with PPPs, high-value public tenders and concessions. Founding partner Fernando Vernalha Guimarães is a key resource for large public concessionaires and development banks. He is supported by Thiago Lima Breus and Angelica Petian, who handle the entire spectrum of public law and regulatory work, standing out for their experience in the infrastructure and sanitation sectors. Luiz Fernando Casagrande Pereira is also recommended for contentious and anti-corruption matters. The group was further strengthened in June 2023 by the arrival of constitutional, administrative and regulatory law specialist Rodrigo Pinto De Campos and Aline Lícia Klein from Porto Lauand Advogados; both possess in-depth knowledge of bidding procedures, government contracts and public concessions.
Fernando Vernalha Guimarães; Thiago Lima Breus; Angelica Petian; Luiz Fernando Casagrande Pereira
‘It is uncommon for a lawyer as renowned as Fernando Vernalha to be an available, detailed-oriented person and committed to actions that transcend strategic aspects. This is a renowned firm, with deep credibility in the subject of infrastructure law.’
‘At Vernalha Pereira, the team is very passionate about the subject, team combines deep experience with a lot of discipline in studying and updating.. They chase, research, do the hard work.’
‘They are quick, attentive to new legislation, and provide detailed monitoring of all issues relating to the project.’
‘Angélica Peltier is extremely attentive.’
Sinduscon PR – Sindicato da Indústria da Construções Civil no Estado do Paraná
Sindicato da Construção Civil da Região Noroeste do Paraná – SINDUSCON NOROESTE PR
Sindicato da Construção Civil do Norte do Paraná – SINDUSCON NORTE PR
WEG Equipamentos Elétricos
Compasa do Brasil – Distribuidora de Derivados de Petróleo
Concremat Engenharia e Tecnologia
Egis Engenharia Consultiva – América Latina
Caminhos do Paraná
Wap/Fresnomaq Indústria de Máquinas
ATEXP – Associação dos Terminais de Exportação do Porto de Paranaguá
Club Athletico Paranaense
CAP – Arena dos Paranaenses
- Assisted FIPE in a PPP for the implementation of the Nova Ferroeste project in the state of Paraná, which aims to connect different municipalities.
- Assisted Energy Technology and Automation in two public bidding processes for the concession of integrated vehicle parking lots in the state of Paraná.
- Advised Equatorial on two public bidding processes for the management of public sewage systems in the state of Amapá and in the municipality of Cariacica.
Almeida Alvarenga e Advogados Associados
The expert team at Almeida Alvarenga e Advogados Associados can be relied on for its ‘agile and very assertive‘ service in all matters of administrative, public, and regulatory law. Alongside a strong offering in public-interest administrative litigation, including proceedings before the Federal Court of Accounts (TCU), the team is experienced in public tenders, PPPs and public contracts in the infrastructure, technology and third sectors. Luiz Antônio de Almeida Alvarenga offers considerable skill in infrastructure and regulatory issues, and Helga Araruna Ferraz de Alvarenga is valued for the ‘clarity and determination of her oral defences’.
Luiz Antônio de Almeida Alvarenga; Helga Araruna Ferraz de Alvarenga
‘The firm stands out for the availability of lawyers even for urgent problems, highlighted by the constant updates from its professionals.’
‘Helga Araruna Ferraz de Alvarenga is recommended for the clarity and determination of her oral defences.’
‘The firm’s philosophy is to always have one of the senior partners assist us regardless of the size of the matter, which gives us much more security and consequently better results.’
Pixeon Medical Systems Comércio e Desenvolvimento
Casamax Comércio e Serviços
K-Infra Concessões e Participações
FM Rodrigues & Cia
Goetze Lobato Engenharia
Rhenus Pirâmide e Comércio Exterior Eireli
Grandfood Indústria e Comércio
Construções, Engenharia e Pavimentação ENPAVI
DP Barros Pavimentação e Construção
Santa Cecília Turismo – SANCETUR
São Bernardo do Campo Transportes SPE
Suzantur Transportadora Turística Suzano
Empresa Funerária Camargo
- Advised Consórcio Bal on the bidding process promoted by the Intermunicipal Consortium of Vale do Paranapanema for the provision of sanitation services.
- Represented Fundação Carlos Alberto Vanzolini in an administrative proceeding concerning the legality of the bidding waiver and the contract signed with the state of São Paulo.
- Represented Lara Central de Treatment in a collection action against the municipality of São Vicente concerning unpaid debt for waste disposal services.
The 'highly qualified team' at BFBM – Barroso Fontelles, Barcellos, Mendonça & Associados offers a strong service with an emphasis on constitutional, administrative, and regulatory law. Clients in the energy sector regularly call on the firm for its highly specialised litigation expertise; administrative disputes and cases before the superior courts feature prominently on its workload. The team is led by three experienced practitioners: Ana Paula de Barcellos is a distinct choice for constitutional and administrative litigation; Márcio Monteiro Reis ('a talented professional, with extensive academic background and negotiation skills') is a litigation specialist working extensively in matters involving public sector contracts and economic regulation; and Rafael Barroso Fontelles is noted for his aptitude in the regulatory banking sphere.
Ana Paula de Barcellos; Márcio Monteiro Reis; Rafael Barroso Fontelles
‘Technical capacity, knowledge of internal procedures and regulations, as well as appreciation of details.’
‘High technical competence of the team, very well-articulated joint work, client empathy, and ability to meet deadlines.’
‘Márcio Monteiro Reis demonstrates great legal knowledge and articulation with TCU representatives. ‘
‘Highly qualified team, with direct partner-involvement in matters. They have flexibility to negotiate fees and payment terms and are highly collaborative in meeting the company’s needs.’
‘Márcio Reis is a talented professional, with extensive academic background and negotiation skills.’
Vibra (former BR Distribuidora)
Espólio de José Paulo Junqueira Lopes
Empresa de Praticagem dos Rios, Portos e Canais da Bacia Amazônica Oriental
- Acted for Petrobras’ former and current managers in an administrative proceeding before the TCU regarding the implementation of the Suape Petrochemical Complex (PQS) by Petrobras.
- Represented Petrobras’ former supply director and former executive directors in an administrative dispute before the TCU involving the implementation and discontinuity of oil refineries in the state of Maranhão,
- AdvisedVibra Energia on the applicability of public law in an action filed by the labour union of Minas Gerais state workers.
Showcasing notable strength in public law and administrative matters, CGM Advogados is a popular destination for clients from the banking and financial sectors, as well as those appearing before Brazil’s National Agency for Waterway Transportation (ANTAQ). Public bids and regulatory issues in the healthcare and life sciences segments are other core areas of activity for the practice, which is led by André Gilberto, a public law specialist that shines in contentious matters and investigations concerning public contracts. Associate Renato Vianna offers support in public tenders and interactions between the private and public sectors.
‘André Gilberto and Renato Vianna stand out for their in-depth knowledge of administrative matters and their agility in responding to demands.’
‘CGM’s lawyers are very helpful and detailed, which makes the service provided excellent.’
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Johnson & Johnson
Centronave – Centro Nacional de Navegação Transatlântica
Thermo Fischer Scientific
- Advised Citibank on a contract with the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for international banking services.
- Assisted an international Abbott subsidiary in one of the biggest bids held by the Brazilian Ministry of Health.
- Advised Cielo on a landmark investigation and administrative proceeding started by the National Consumer Department (SENACON) on abusive telemarketing practices.
Working out of both São Paulo and Brasília, 'the robust team' at Dal Pozzo Advogados offers a specialised service in administrative, civil procedural and infrastructure law. The practitioners play to their strengths in administrative and judicial litigation involving public bodies and concessionaires. Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo is highly recognised for his work involving infrastructure projects and public contracts. He leads the team alongside Antonio Araldo Ferraz Dal Pozzo, who focuses on administrative improbity proceedings and public civil lawsuits. Litigation is a core area of activity for João Negrini Neto, who is skilled in judicial and administrative cases involving public law issues. Other noteworthy practitioners include Percival José Bariani Junior and Evane Beiguelman Kramer.
Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo; Antonio Araldo Ferraz Dal Pozzo
‘Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo and the other partners are always innovating, with a robust team divided by specialities, which allows the provision of services with lawyers who have a deep knowledge of the subjects.’
‘Modern firm, with vast investment in technology and resources to provide the best services to its clients.’
‘Augusto Neves Dal Pozzo has a deep knowledge of the law, in addition to promptness and extreme attention to all requests from clients.’
‘The ability to dialogue with the federal and state Public Prosecutor’s offices, the regional judiciary and the superior courts sets the team apart.’
Companhia Espírito Santense de Saneamento – CESAN
Instituto para o Desenvolvimento dos Sistemas de Transporte – IDESTRA
Instituto Cultural Newton Paiva
Facebook Serviços Online do Brasil
Engeform Construções e Comércio
Águas de Mineiros – Latam Water Participações
Viarondon Concessionária de Rodovia
Concessionária Auto Raposo Tavares – Cart (Fundo Pátria)
Concessionária Rota das Bandeiras
Fundação Getúlio Vargas – FGV
Rumo Malha Norte
- Assisted CESAN, the Espirito Santo state sanitation company, with the structuring and drafting of a PPP contract for the treatment of waste water.
- Assisted Concessionária Rota Das Bandeiras and the state government of São Paulo with the establishment of a mediation process for economic and financial rebalancing issues relating to a highway concession contract.
- Advised Facebook on the execution of its social responsibility projects.
Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados
Singled out for the ‘seniority, vast experience and availability of its professionals‘, Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados provides consultancy and litigation services to clients in regulated sectors, demonstrating particular strength in concession disputes, administrative improbity cases, and infrastructure regulatory matters. Leading the practice, Luis Eduardo Menezes Serra Netto brings extensive experience in public concessions, regulation, and bidding procedures. Paola Martinelli Szanto Mendes dos Santos focuses on administrative proceedings and public contract litigation, while Renata Lorena Martins de Oliveira specialises in public contracts, anti-corruption lawsuits and regulatory issues. Rodrigo Scalamandré Duarte Garcia is another name to note for public law-related disputes. Cesar Augusto Alckmin Jacob left the firm in May 2023.
Luis Eduardo Menezes Serra Netto; Paola Martinelli Szanto Mendes dos Santos; Renata Lorena Martins de Oliveira; Rodrigo Scalamandré Duarte Garcia
‘Impeccable legal technique. The team understands the company’s demands, proposing solutions that meet our needs. What distinguishes the firm is the seniority, vast experience and availability of its professionals.’
BM Varejo (Associação SP Capital da Diversidade)
JCDecaux do Brasil
Alstom Brasil Energia e Transporte
Ecopátio Logística de Cubatão
ABETRE – Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Tratamento de Resíduos e Efluentes
Condomínio Edifício Comércio e Indústria
- Assists WTorre in procurement procedures and contractual negotiations in several Brazilian regions.
- Advised BM Varejo (Associação SP Capital da Diversidade) on the signing and execution of a cooperation agreement with the municipality of São Paulo for the construction of a new public park.
- Represented ABETRE in an action against an unconstitutional tax imposed on companies in the waste management market by the municipality of Caieiras.
Grego Santos Advogados
Split between São Paulo and Paraná, Grego Santos Advogados acts for clients from the manufacturing, technology, energy and agribusiness sectors in a variety of public law-related matters, including public contracts, administrative cases, and proceedings before the state courts. Practice leader Bruno Grego Santos advises major real estate, manufacturing and tech players in their relations with the state-level public entities. Gabriel Khauam Maricatto and Andreia Colhado Gallo offer expertise in administrative and regulatory law. Rodrigo Cazelato left the firm in October 2022.
Bruno Grego Santos; Andreia Colhado Gallo; Gabriel Khauam Maricatto
‘The level of knowledge and agility in service always makes the difference, with immediate returns and excellent results in response to demands. Qualified people with an excellent level of communication.’
Grupo Vicentinos do Brasil
Theòs Sistemas Eclesiais
- Advised DB1 Group on the prevention of administrative proceedings arising from data protection regulations.
- Acted for Amazon Energy in a renewable energy regulatory case.
Gustavo Binenbojm & Associados (GBA)
Clients from a variety of sectors, including media, healthcare, transport, agribusiness and telecoms, seek Gustavo Binenbojm & Associados (GBA)‘s advice on constitutional challenges and litigation. Concession disputes and proceedings before the TCU are key areas of activity for the firm, which stands out for its considerable experience in cases involving freedom of speech and regulatory issues. Gustavo Binenbojm has a consolidated presence representing media companies in public law-related contentious matters. He receives key support from a strong team of administrative law specialists, including André Cyrino, Alice Voronoff and Rafael Koatz. Rated by clients for his ‘deep knowledge‘, associate Francisco Defanti is skilled in regulatory disputes.
‘The team has extensive experience in complex cases involving public law issues, as well as the capacity to respond to the client’s needs in a technical and timely manner.’
‘Broad vision of the problem and strategic action, applying broad and in-depth knowledge of the regulated sectors involved and taking into account the specific needs of the client in solving a given demand.’
‘I highlight Alice Voronoff for her deep knowledge, critical capacity and broad view of the problem when addressing complex issues.’
Associação Brasileira de Concessionárias de Rodovias – ABCR
British American Tobacco – BAT
Centrais Elétricas Brasileira – Eletrobrás
Confederação Nacional das Empresas de Seguros Gerais, Previdência Privada e Vida, Saúde Suplementar e Capitalização – CNSEG
Associação Brasileira de Empresas de Rádio e Televisão – ABERT
Federação Nacional de Saúde Suplementar – FENASAUDE
Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de CONFINS – BH Airport
BR Marinas Glória
Companhia de Gás de São Paulo – COMGÁS
Grupo Salta Educação
Confederação Brasileira de Futebol – CBF
Sulamérica – Companhia Nacional de Seguros
- Represented ABDIB in a direct action of unconstitutionality before the Supreme Court regarding the possibility of the transferral of any kind of public services concession contracts.
- Represented the subsidiaries of CCR Group (ViaOeste, AutoBAn and SPVias) in negotiations with the state of São Paulo regarding amendments to highways concession agreements.
- Advised MRS Logística, the holder of a public concession for the railway cargo transport that manages 1.686km of railway track in the Southeast Region, on the early renewal agreement to extend its concession for 30 years.
Lobo de Rizzo Advogados
Working across São Paulo and Brasília, Lobo de Rizzo Advogados‘ public law practice acts for both private and public sector clients in contentious and non-contentious matters. Frequently retained by clients in the sanitation, transport, education, and social platform sectors, the team is especially well versed in the structuring of concessions, PPPs and infrastructure projects. The department is under the joint leadership of Rodnei Iazzetta, known for his expertise in concessions, project structuring, bidding procedures and compliance, and Marcelo Rangel Lennertz, who is active in regulatory disputes.
Rodnei Iazzetta; Marcelo Rangel Lennertz
‘Deep knowledge and experience in public law matters and commitment to client needs and concerns. Partner Rodnei Iazzetta is recommended.’
Quadra Gestão de Recursos
Engie Brasil Participações
Patria Infraestrutura Gestão de Recursos
Estapar Group (Hora Park Sistema de Estacionamento Rotativo)
International Finance Corporation – IFC
Radar Propriedades Agrícolas
Hidrovias do Brasil
BNDES – Brazilian Development Bank
McKinsey & Group
Monte Rodovias Holding e Participações
Aegea Saneamento e Participações
Enel X Brasil
DP World Santos
- Assisted Quadra with an auction related to the privatisation of Companhia Docas do Estado do Espírito Santo and the concession of company activities held in Vitoria and Barra do Riacho Port in the state of Espirito Santo.
- Assisted Engie Brasil Participações with the procurement procedure for a PPP regarding the public lighting of the municipality of Curitiba.
- Assisted BRK in the discussion of changes to the basic sanitation regulatory framework, which included a public hearing regarding the reference standards provided by the National Water Agency under the new Legal Framework for Basic Sanitation.
Queiroz Maluf Sociedade de Advogados
With a strong presence in public law consultancy, litigation and arbitration, Queiroz Maluf Sociedade de Advogados is routinely engaged by clients from the infrastructure, chemicals and construction sectors. The group is often instructed in mandates involving concessions in the transport and sanitation segments and disputes involving the economic-financial rebalancing of public contracts. With over twenty years of experience in public law, co-head Letícia Queiroz de Andrade is skilled at advising on road and highway concessions. Fellow co-leader Fabio Maluf Tognola, whose ‘excellent technical knowledge‘ is rated by clients, focuses on administrative, regulatory and procedural matters.
Letícia Queiroz de Andrade; Fabio Maluf Tognola
‘High-level provision of services, specialisation and quick turnaround.’
‘Technical knowledge of legal matters and the business developed by the client.’
‘The firm is always available to deal with matters related to public law. It has excellent professionals and is a great option both for the quality of advice provided and for the price charged.’
Prefeitura do Município de São Paulo
Saneamento de Orlândia SPE
Viabahia Concessionária de Rodovia
K Infra Rodovia do Aço
Rumo Malha Central
Terminal Marítimo Do Guarujá
Concessionária Bahia Norte
Aeropart Participações Aeroportuárias
Concessionária Rota do Oeste
Banco nacional de desenvolvimento econômico e social BNDES
Fundação Instituto de Administração – FIA
- Assisted BNDES in the preparation of legal studies for the concession of highways in the south of Minas Gerais State and the region known as Triângulo Mineiro.
- Advised Concessionária Rota do Oeste on the process of returning assets to the Brazilian Ministry of Infrastructure due to the economic unfeasibility of its concession agreement.
- Assisted Consórcio Águas de Orlândia with the bidding process for the concession of water supply and sewage collection services in the municipality of Orlândia.
Boutique firm Rhein Schirato & Meireles focuses on public law, infrastructure regulations and administrative law, showcasing expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters. The group, which offers ‘agile, personalised and careful services, while providing advice of exceptional technical quality‘, is frequently engaged in mandates involving concessions, bidding procedures, privatisations and PPPs of significant transport projects, spanning road, rail and ports. Leading the team are founding partners Vitor Rhein Schirato, an administrative law and infrastructure expert skilled in economic regulations and regulatory agencies, and Renata Meireles, an administrative and urban planning law specialist who focuses on regulated sectors. Marcus Rodrigo Senna is especially noted for his experience in the highways and toll roads segments.
Vitor Rhein Schirato; Renata Meireles
‘Above-market competence in topics related to concessions in the area of public transport and quick response to demands. Vitor Rhein is an excellent professional.’
‘We have already worked on several transactions with Rhein Schirato Meireles and I highlight technical primacy as the main point, especially in matters of public law. I would also like to highlight the timeliness of their actions and the creative solutions presented.’
‘The firm offers agile, personalised and careful services, while providing advice of exceptional technical quality. I don’t know of another law firm in the Brazil, at least in the public law sector, that is capable of offering such a technically sophisticated service, at the same time personalised and careful.’
‘Led by Vitor Rhein Schirato, the entire team is cohesive and integrated. We see that our demands go through a deep filter of research and studies, which are seriously discussed among lawyers, with a constant dedication to excellence in the legal solutions they offer us.’
‘With vast legal knowledge, especially public law, Vitor is able to understand legal challenges on a global scale and address quick and sophisticated solutions. He is the ideal lawyer to seek the structuring of complex and innovative projects.’
‘The Rhein Schirato Meireles firm brings together a set of qualities that truly make it unique when the matters involve, especially, but not only, the fields of public law – constitutional and administrative. Another striking feature is the empathy demonstrated by the professionals and their high degree of commitment to the needs of their clients.’
‘Vítor Schirato and Renata Meireles combine technical competence and accumulated experience with ethical behaviour of great seriousness and professionalism. In the projects we worked on together, they demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the legislation/regulations relevant to the subjects being studied/worked on. Furthermore, they are very available, with the most senior partners always assisting us. Extremely responsible and committed to the results of all work.’
‘Vitor Rhein Schirato has in-depth knowledge of the topics and is available. Renata Meireles is very committed to results.’
With offices in Porto Alegre and São Paulo, Silveiro Advogados excels in administrative litigation, and is frequently instructed in cases affecting the education, telecoms, banking and transport sectors. The integrated practice brings together experience in contentious matters, such as class actions, infraction notices and public procurement fraud, compliance and regulatory issues. Practice head Ricardo Leal de Moraes, who has a wealth of experience in public and administrative law, is a key contact for the telecoms sector. Maria Elisa Marcolin is especially active in regulatory disputes. Vitor de Paula Ramos left the firm in December 2022.
Ricardo Leal de Moraes
‘Technically excellent service and with the necessary agility. Pro-activity is also worth mentioning.’
Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
Banco Cooperativo Sicredi
Rio Bravo Investments
Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliários
TMSA – Tecnologia em Movimentação
Companhia Zaffari Comércio e Indústria
Fraport Brasil Aeroporto de Porto Alegre
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Represented Banco Cooperativo Sicredi in opposing a refund sought by the federal government for loans granted to finance the construction of new houses for low-income families.
- Represents Telefônica Brasil in various sensitive class actions arising from telecoms regulation in Brazil.
- Acting for Rio Bravo Investments in two lawsuits arising from a public procurement procedure whereby Multitek signed a construction contract with Petrobras in the State of Rio de Janeiro, which was later transferred to Rio Bravo.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
At Siqueira Castro – Advogados, the public law team works in close conjunction with the firm’s environmental, litigation, IP and corporate departments. Prominent in the oil and gas, telecoms and real estate segments, the group handles concessions, administrative proceedings, biddings and infrastructure projects. Experienced litigator Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro leads the practice alongside Thiago de Oliveira. Former co-head Amauri Saad is no longer at the firm.
Carlos Roberto Siqueira Castro; Thiago de Oliveira
Aena Desarollo International
Aeroportos do Nordeste do Brasil
Nacional Gás Butano
Petrobras Distribuidora – BR Distribuidora
White Martins Gases Industriais
- Acted for CDN Comunicação in the bidding procedure for the hiring of a company specialised in corporate communication by the federal government.
- Defended White Martins Gases Industriais in administrative lawsuits before the local Court of Auditors.
- Provided advice to Aena Desarollo International on São Gonçalo do Amarante Airport (ASGA)’s new bid and interactions with MINFRA (the Ministry of Infrastructure).
Stocche Forbes Advogados leverages experience in corporate transactions involving regulated sectors to support clients in privatisations, public tenders, and administrative proceedings before ANATEL. Mariana Saragoça is a seasoned practitioner specialised in administrative and regulatory matters, who often handles risk assessments of concessions and PPPs in the energy, sanitation, telecoms, transport and logistics segments. Key support is offered by a strong team of associates, including Andre Bogossian and Guilherme Nunes, both of whom are active in public procurement and regulatory issues.
‘Firm with extremely qualified lawyers from a technical point of view.’
EDF Norte Fluminense
GIC Private Limited
Impacto Energia Group
- Advising Highline on the acquisition of 8,000 telecommunication towers from Oi Group, within the context of Oi Group’s judicial recovery.
- Advised Impacto Energia on a public procedure conducted by SABESP aiming at selecting a strategic partner to develop projects on sludge disposal and usage, including sludge to biogas solutions.
- Advised Equatorial Energia on the energy transmission auctions promoted by ANEEL in 2022.
Toledo Marchetti Advogados
Toledo Marchetti Advogados concentrates its public law practice on concessions and PPPs, often advising both private and state-owned companies on public procurement involving energy and sanitation projects, and negotiations with local authorities. Co-head Marcelo Marchetti specialises in the contract management of infrastructure and construction public projects. Fellow co-leader João Paulo Pessoa‘s ‘comprehensive experience and knowledge in the areas of contracts, notices and privatisation processes are highly valued by clients’.
Marcelo Marchetti; João Paulo Pessoa
‘Excellent team, very well prepared. The service provided is exemplary, only praise to be given.’
‘The team is collaborative and innovative. They are open to new approaches and solutions and are willing to work together with other parties involved in the project to do so. This collaborative and open mindset promotes a more holistic and integrated view of the process, allowing them to develop innovative legal strategies to address the unique challenges of these concessions. They understand the complexities of the technical and financial assumptions underlying projects and are agile in making the necessary modifications to the legal modeling when necessary. This ability to adapt and respond to demands in a timely manner ensures that the firm can provide accurate and up-to-date legal advice, aligned with client needs.’
Proactiva Meio Ambiente Brasil (Grupo Veolia)
Empresa Construtora Brasil (ECB)
Toyo Setal Empreendimentos
Associação Brasileira de Energia Limpa (ABRAGEL)
Terrafirma Consultoria Empresarial e de Projetos
DAE – Água e Esgoto
SPE Parque Lavras
GE Renewable Energy
Meta Serviços e Projetos
TIISA Infraestrutura e Investimentos
Constran – Construções e Comércio
Procable Energia e Telecomunicações
Toyo Engineering Corporation
Estaleiros do Brasil
- Represented ABRAGEL in a special rite action before the Supreme Court discussing the constitutionality of a Mato Grosso state law that forbids the installation of small hydroelectric plants and hydroelectric power plants on the Cuiabá River.
- Advised ECB on a public notice issued by Petrobras involving the execution of Engineering, Preparation, Removal, and Disposal (EPRD) services and disposal of materials from ports of the subsea systems FPSO Rio de Janeiro (FPRJ), FPSO Rio das Ostras (FPRO) and FPSO Piranema (FPPRM).
- Assists Meta in private and public contracts, and regulatory matters involved in the production of energy, as set out by ANEEL.
Government relations is the strong suit of XVV Advogados, which provides assistance in administrative and improbity matters, as well as advice on infrastructure investments, regulatory changes and public bids. The practice operates out of São Paulo and Brasília, and acts for a combination of clients operating in the sanitation, transport, and energy sectors. Singled out for his strong background in high-level governmental roles, Eduardo Xavier is recognised for his expertise in infrastructure and project finance. Luís Felipe Valerim is skilled in the structuring of sophisticated infrastructure and logistics projects, while Beto Vasconcelos, who has occupied various high-rank positions at the Brazilian federal government, is noted for his experience in the telecoms segment. Ivo Corrêa, who is knowledgeable of infrastructure, logistics and telecoms regulations, and Felipe de Paula, a constitutional review and public policy specialist, are other key individuals.
Eduardo Xavier; Luís Felipe Valerim; Beto Vasconcelos; Ivo Corrêa; Felipe de Paula
The Brazilian Association of Technology and Mobility (AMOBITEC)
The Brazilian Development Bank (BNDES)
Buser Brasil Tecnologia
Interactive Advertising Bureau – Brazil (IAB BRASIL)
Brazilian Chamber of the Digital Economy (Camara-e.net)
- Advised BNDES on the first concession of a port authority in the history of the Brazil.
- Represented Logística Brasil as an amicus curiae in a writ of mandamus brought by ABRATEC before the Supreme Court regarding a TCU ruling on a container terminal handling cargo fee.