Energy and natural resources in Bolivia
Operating primarily out of Santa Cruz, the team at Guevara & Gutiérrez S.C is led by Enrique Barrios, Jorge Inchauste, along with La Paz-based Ramiro Guevara, and counts hydrocarbons work as its core focus, with upstream oil and gas mandates particularly prominent in the group's caseload. Cross-border transactions are another area of expertise, along with contentious energy-sector matters. Inchauste also handles mining-related project finance, while Barrios is well known for his experience in advising oil and gas companies on upstream energy and downstream contractual issues. Senior associate Julio Landivar and associate Jairo Guiteras are also names to note. Since publication the firm has announced a tie-up with Dentons, effective as of mid-March 2021.
China Three Gorges Corporation
- Advised TBEA on the incorporation of its subsidiary Xinjiang TBEA Group in Bolivia, as well as on a joint venture contract with Bolivia’s state lithium company YLB for the development of lithium projects worth $2.3bn.
- Assisted YPF Argentina with a $60m oil and gas services agreement pertaining to the town of Charagua in Bolivia.
- Assisted Trafigura with the bidding procedure for a contract to provide YPFB with fuel.
Active in M&A, multimillion-dollar investments and prominent contractual matters, the energy department at national heavyweight Moreno Baldivieso Estudio De Abogados has proven ability representing mining, oil, renewables, power, and gas clients. Luis Moreno, Ramiro Moreno and Andrés Moreno share leadership of the practice. Daniel Arredondo advises mining companies on M&A matters, as well as potential international investors in mining projects. René Cuellar and senior associates Teddy Mercado and Oscar Olmos are also names to note.
Halliburton Latin America
- Advised Acron on entering into a $1.9bn gas service agreement with YPFB for the acquisition and operation of a urea production plant located in Brazil.
- Advised a prominent mining company on entering into a joint venture agreement with Corporacion Minera de Bolivia for the development of the country’s second largest silver mining project; the agreement included a $250m investment.
- Assisting Vestas with all aspects of the construction of three wind farms in Santa Cruz; the client was awarded the $100m project following a public tender by ENDE.
The 18-strong team at the recently constituted PPO Abogados - formerly Ferrere (Bolivia) - is led by hydrocarbons specialist Pablo Ordoñez and managing partner Carlos Pinto, who handles corporate-side energy and natural resource matters. The group has been active across the hydrocarbons, mining, renewables and electricity subsectors, particularly in relation to concessions, market arrivals, transmission matters and public bids and contacts. Two of the firm's recently appointed new partners Diego Böhrt (who is well known for his strength in regulatory matters), and Mattias Garrón, are also names to note.
Minera San Cristobal
Energía del Paraná
- Assisted Minera Alcira, a subsidiary of Canadian mining company New Pacific Metals, with entering into mining concession agreements with Corporación Minera de Bolivia.
- Assisted Energía del Paraná with a $54m public bid launched by YPFB to supply hydrocarbons via the international waterway.
- Assisted Minera San Cristobal with an agreement with the department of Potosí and a state-owned energy company to supply electricity to the public primary distribution network in the Sur Lípez province in Potosí.
Hydrocarbons-law expert Ricardo Indacochea co-leads Indacochea & Asociados’ practice with Mariana Pereira, who is well known for advising on the financial and corporate aspects of energy mandates. The team has established strength in the oil and gas sector; recent work in this area includes assisting Argentinian company Servicios Especiales San Antonio with its contribution of assets to Servicios Petroleros Bocruz. Senior associate Ana Carola Muñoz is noted for her expertise in corporate-related energy matters.
Baker Hughes Bolivia
Trenerec Energía Bolivia
Bufete Aguirre, Quintanilla, Soria & Nishizawa Sociedad Civil – (BAQSN)
Bufete Aguirre, Quintanilla, Soria & Nishizawa Sociedad Civil – (BAQSN)’s practice has been notably active of late, assisting mining and hydrocarbons clients with contractual and corporate governance matters. A case in point is Ignacio Aguirre ongoing advice to Gazprom subsidiary GP Exploración y Producción, as well as Silex Bolivia and Minera San Cristóbal, on corporate compliance and governance matters. Fernando Aguirre is well regarded in mining and hydrocarbons circles, while Eduardo Quintanilla and Santiago Nishizawa are additional names to note.
Minera San Cristobal
Becerra de la Roca Donoso & Asociados S.R.L.
Regulatory and compliance work forms the backbone of the practice at Becerra de la Roca Donoso & Asociados S.R.L., and the team is noted for its capabilities in handling, among other areas, contractual and environmental matters for oil and gas, electricity and mining-sector clients. Mauricio Becerra de la Roca has 'very important experience in regulatory matters’; he jointly heads the practice with senior associate Dario Martinez. Senior counsel Victor Hernán Lema is noted for his expertise in advising on the corporate aspects of energy mandates.
‘They are experienced and knowledgeable about the sector’.
‘Mauricio Becerra de la Roca has very important experience in regulatory matters’.
‘It is a leading firm in the area of natural resources and energy. The main partner has super important experience in the regulatory area. Dr Becerra is the regulatory specialist in electrical audits of electric companies such as Hidrolectrica Boliviana, Guabira Energia and others.’
Ingenio Azucarero Guabira
- Advising Inesco on a range of regulatory issues pertaining to the hydrocarbons sector.
- Advising YPFB on compliance and regulatory matters regarding the implementation of an ethanol project in Bolivia.
- Advises Petrobras Bolivia on HSSE regulatory and compliance matters.
C.R. & F. Rojas – Abogados
Operating out of both the La Paz and Santa Cruz offices, C.R. & F. Rojas – Abogados’ team has been active assisting a client base of mining, oil and gas-sector entities with purchase agreements, financing, and procurement matters. In Santa Cruz, corporate partner Diego Rojas is the key name - he can draw on past in-house experience at BG Bolivia Corporation; while Sandra Salinas, an environmental and regulatory specialist, is the name to note in La Paz.
‘The team is strong and diligent. The answers to our queries are correct and above all, based on the law.’
Schlumberger Surenco (Bolivia)
Parker Drilling Bolivia
Intertek Testing Services Bolivia
Comercializadora Kennametal Bolivia
Barlo Vento Recursos Naturales
- Advising Acron on the review of its gas purchase agreement with YPFB.
- Assisting Comercializadora Kennametal Bolivia with mining project finance matters.
Medina, Galindo & Richter Abogados S.R.L.
Medina, Galindo & Richter Abogados S.R.L.’s department counts EPC contracts as a key area of instruction, and has been kept busy assisting clients - particularly from the renewables sector - with a range of significant development projects. Rodrigo Galindo Garrett heads up the practice, in which Sergio Medina Bozo is a key name for advising on the tax and labour aspects of projects. Senior associate Fabiola Rivero Stumpf is also noted in relation to the structuring of energy and renewables projects.
Inypsa Informes y Proyectos
Técnica y Proyectos (TYPSA)
China State Construction Engineering Corp
Constructora Santa Fe
Hunan Road and Construction Company
Marco Infraestructura y Medio Ambiente
José Cartellone Construcciones Civiles
Intergas Servicios Petroleros
Compañía de Obras Civiles
Concremat Engenharia e Consultoria
Diseños y Proyectos Técnicos (DITECSA)
Dechini Dirección de Proyectos
Projecto Pacu Aquicultura
Empresa Constructora Salina
Construtora Norberto Odebrecht
- Assisting Projeto Pacú Aquicultura with the development of a 76-hectare fish farm project in Cochabamba.
- Assisting INYPSA with the development of a 133.7MW hydroelectric power project in Cochabamba.
- Assisting Grupo INCLAM with developing a monitoring system for Bolivian reservoirs as part of the Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR).
Würth Bedoya Costa Du Rels Abogados’ primarily Santa Cruz-based practice has been especially active in handling power supply agreements, operation and maintenance contracts, and restructuring matters for oil and gas clients. Mauricio Costa du Rels, who stands out for his expertise in corporate-related energy mandates, co-leads the practice with Karla Würth, who frequently advises on the financial aspects of power project matters.
Enerflex Services Bolivia
BP Energy do Brasil
- Advising YPFB on restructuring its subsidiaries.
- Assisted Enerflex Services Bolivia with negotiations for a multimillion-dollar operation and maintenance contract with Repsol.
- Assisting BP Energy do Brasil with distribution agreements with its local distributor.