EU regulatory: Food in Belgium
DALDEWOLF's practice is notable for its 'double expertise in EU food law and Belgian law'. The team has been kept busy with labelling issues and food compliance matters, among other areas. Practice head Aude Mahy is 'a dedicated professional' with 'excellent knowledge of Belgian and EU food law'. Associate Arthur Servé is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Aude Mahy is extensively skilled and works hard to achieve clients’ objectives‘.
‘Aude has a wealth of sector knowledge, that she applies with a lot of flair‘.
- Representing a Belgian retailer in proceedings against its previous main meat supplier concerning food safety issues.
- Acting for a Belgian producer of cereal-based and fruits-extracts ingredients in a dispute with the Belgian Food Safety Agency concerning alleged contaminated food.
- Assisting a Dutch-based food supplements producer with labelling issues.
At Hogan Lovells International LLP, the team provides 'very practical, useful advice' on novel and genetically modified foods, crisis management issues, food contact compliance, EU feed law and labelling issues, to name a few core strengths. Senior EU regulatory affairs adviser Jacqueline Mailly leads the group. Elisabethann Wright is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jacqueline Mailly provides prompt, practical, and usable advice. Very reliable‘.
‘Jacqueline Mailly won’t stop until she has found a solution to your problem. She’s very committed to serving her client’s interest. She works hard to get to the bottom of the case, and then delivers on time in full. Very experienced advisor; the go-to in EU food regulations. She’s very approachable; and a pleasure to work with‘.
Keller and Heckman LLP
The food practice at Keller and Heckman LLP is well-versed in advising clients on labelling issues, feed-related matters, health claims and novel foods. Katia Merten-Lentz jointly leads the 'efficient' team with Rachida Semail, who is a key name for food contact compliance matters.
Katia Merten-Lentz; Rachida Semail
‘They are exceptionally well versed in key issues facing the food industry, have deep knowledge of food regulation across all staff, and are wonderfully accommodating‘.
International Chewing Gum Association (ICGA)
- Acts as counsel to the International Chewing Gum Association (ICGA) concerning food standards issues.
- Acts as counsel to Air France on food regulatory issues.
Baker McKenzie CVBA/SCRL
Geert Bovy heads up the practice at Baker McKenzie CVBA/SCRL. The group has strong capabilities in advising clients from the consumer goods sector on labelling issues, advertising matters, and health and nutrition claims.
E 172 Consortium
- Provides ongoing advice to a manufacturer concerning the novel food status of lycopene.
- Advising a consortium of food, feed and pharma companies on the re-evaluation of iron oxides and hydroxides as food and feed additives.
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
Darren Abrahams and Anna Gergely are the key contacts at Steptoe & Johnson LLP, which has been advising CropLife International on issues concerning genetically modified foods, agrochemical matters and EU food law compliance matters.
Darren Abrahams; Anna Gergely