The public law department at Beccar Varela advises private and public sectors as well as international organisations, bringing deep, industry-specific knowledge to bear - particularly in relation to the finance, life sciences, utilities, infrastructure and TMT sectors. The seven-strong team handles guidance on public administration at the federal, provincial and municipal levels, with public procurement, public-private partnerships (PPPs) and government contracts being among its primary specialisms. In terms of contentious matters, the practice has experience in the full range of administrative procedures before public bodies and regulatory commissions, as well as public law litigation and judicial review procedures. A ‘professional who stands out for his deep knowledge of public law, for his impeccable ethical conduct, for his practicality and for his dedication’, Oscar Aguilar Valdez is a veteran in the sector, with over 25 years' experience. He co-leads the team with Juan Antonio Stupenengo, whose strengths include constitutional, administrative and regulatory law. Key associate support comes from Juan Pablo Perrino (administrative and regulatory advisory, complex public law litigation) and Santiago Barbarán (who has extensive public sector experience at both provincial and national levels) additional points of contact. However intermediate Florencia Cairella moved in house at JP Morgan in June 2021.
Public law in Argentina
Oscar Aguilar Valdez; Juan Antonio Stupenengo
‘We chose Estudio Beccar Varela -and more precisely Oscar Aguilar Valdez- for his irrefutable knowledge as demonstrated throughout the years that he has provided services to our company, his true taking on of the work and his constant disposition regardless of the day or time – all of which make him feel like another member of our in-house team and not like an outside lawyer’.
‘Oscar Aguilar Valdez enjoys well-deserved recognition in the industry. Knowledge, excellent predisposition, availability and ful engagement with the work, and excellent human and personal qualities make him indispensable when it comes to specifying an opinion related to administrative law’
‘Extremely solid and cordial team’
‘The public law department not only stands out for having professionals with a thorough knowledge of their area, but also for the predisposition to accompany its clients during the resolution of their problems’.
‘Various highly complex issues have been entrusted to them, obtaining deep and effective responses’.
‘Oscar Aguilar Valdez is a professional who stands out for his deep knowledge of public law, for his impeccable ethical conduct, for his practicality and for his dedication. He is a professional who is known to be relaiable at any time and in the face of any adversity or business opportunity’.
Vial Andes 7
José Cartellone Construcciones Civiles
Cámara Argentina de Especialidades Medicinales
Ingeniería y Economía del Transporte INECO
Banco de Galicia
- Legal assistance and representation of Vial Andes 7 in a high-profile, multibillion-dollar litigation resulting from the Federal Highway Administration (DNV)’s attempts to terminate the public-private partnership road consutruction contract for alleged breach of contract.
- Legal assistance and representation of the Argentine Chamber for Specialised Medicines (CAEMe) in litigation related to the challenging of a multimillion-dollar fine imposed by IOMA (the Province of Buenos Aires social assistance entity) for the alleged breach of a contract for the provision of medicines.
- Legal advice and representation of construction group Rovella Carranza in a high profile administrative adjudicatory proceeding before the National Airport Regulatory Commission and against Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 (the Argentine airport concessionaire) in connection with a complex, multimillion-dollar public works contract.
Undoubtedly the foremost boutique in the administrative and public law segment, Cassagne Abogados is knownnot only for those specialisms but also its constitutional law and economic regulation expertise; it also has particular strength in complex litigation. Advising across a range of industries, areas of work include public contracts, infrastructure projects and arbitration. The team is co-led by founding partner Juan Carlos Cassagne (universally recognised as one of the sectors finest exponents), along with the deeply experienced Máximo Fonrouge, Pablo Perrino, and Ezequiel Cassagne.
Juan Carlos Cassagne; Máximo Fonrouge; Pablo Perrino; Ezequiel Cassagne
The comprehensive public law department of Marval O’Farrell Mairal combines broad expertise in PPP and infrastructure projects, and a track record of successful negotiation with regulatory entities, with renowned practices in dispute resolution, administrative law and M&A. The team has an established reputation for designing strategies for complex contentious public law matters and is increasingly emerging as a relevant player in investment disputes against the state; most recently, over the course of 2020 it has developed expertise in the public procurement of IT products and services. Recognised for ‘taking into account various implications from other jurisdictions’ and praised for ‘always updating in-house attorneys on not only legislative changes but also on how they could impact the client's activities’, most recently the team has been active with regard to the fallout from the current administration's response to Covid-19 and more generally interventionist approach - such as advising various clients on the Presidential decree seeking to turn the provision of internet cable TV and mobile telephony into (state) utilities. A hugely influential figure in the administrative law sphere, Héctor Mairal is a senior partner with unparalleled experience during an astounding 60-year career. He co-leads the practice with María Lorena Schiariti, whose 'comprehensive vision', 'creativity' and 'flexibility' have made her one of the most sought-after public law counsels in the country, and Enrique Veramendi, whose practice extends into constitutional law, economic regulation and administrative, constitutional and regulatory litigation. The group's partner-level resources grew further, recently, with the August-2021 promotion of Gonzalo Santamaria to the partnership; he too has a notable contentious-administrative aspect to his practice. At associate level, seniors Milagros Ibarzábal and Juan Manuel Naveira are both increasingly prominent; however, intermediate Carolina Catanzano moved into the public sector at the Procuración del Tesoro de la Nación in November 2020.
Héctor Mairal; María Lorena Schiariti; Enrique Veramendi
‘The abilitiy to provide legal advice at its best in a global litigation project taking into account various implications from other jurisdictions’.
‘The team has perfect English language abilities and provides its legal advice timely and perfectly customized to the tasks asked for’
‘Always updating the in-house attorneys on not only legislative changes but also on how they could impact the client’s activities. They knew how to understand the current situations in the country with regard to certain issues that were being carried and invoiced’.
‘Lorena Schiariti highlighted the ease of understanding the sector’s need when finding a way to solve a specific problem, achieving a work methodology according to the client’s needs’.
‘By combining extensive expertise and experience in the public law team members along with the placement in a full service firm it has a competitive advantage that is hard to match’.
‘They are used to dealing with matters with international consequences, they are used to the business world and to interacting with foreign studies. In addition, it is a large team, which has a great response capacity in time for very demanding and complex matters’.
‘Lorena Schiariti has a comprehensive vision of legal aspects. She applies her creativity so that the advice she gives is adapted to current legal provisions and at the same time to our commercial and institutional reality. She has the flexibility to tailor her criteria to the client’s business needs’.
‘Gonzalo Santamaría understands the economic reality of the sector and has a particular sensitivity to understand the economic sense of government regulations and their impact on the business’.
Tecpetrol (Techint Group)
Embraer and Yaborà
Siemens Argentina S.A. and Siemens Mobility
Consejo Federal de Inversiones
Webuild (formerly Salini Impregilo)
Compañía Naviera Horamar
Tagsa (Odjfell Terminals)
Loma Negra – Ferrosur (Camargo Group)
Federación de Empresas Navieras Argentinas
- Advising and representing Telecentro and DirecTV in their judicial challenge to the recent Presidential Decree (Decreto de Necesidad y Urgencia), which designated the provision of internet, cable TV and mobile phone services as “public services” and concurrently froze their prices.
- Assisted APM Terminals resist an attempt by the current administration to nationalise the port of Buenos Aires, successfully negotiating an extension of the new concession agreement for an additional 2-year period.
- Successfully advised Metrovías-Roggio on the international tender for the concession of the Buenos Aires Metro network and Premetro line, obtaining a new 12-year contract, in what was one of the most important infrastructure projects in Argentina during the last decade.
Regarded as ‘one of the best law firms in terms of public law, both in terms of advice and litigation matters’, Allende & Brea’s practice ‘knows the issues of public law very well, the management of the executive power and its structure, as well as being very up-to-date on the regulations’. Acting for foreign and domestic businesses, the firm provides expertise in public procurement, administrative and environmental law, M&A and project finance. A ‘very distinguished professional with great knowledge’, practice head María Morena del Río has built a team with 'strong legal knowledge' and 'practical experience on how to deal with complex scenarios', that is 'very collaborative' and which 'provides a first class service to clients'. Key associate support comes from Giuliana Busso and Sofia Cimmarusti, who ‘stands out for her knowledge and excellent ability to interpret the problems we have as clients’. Moreover, the team can also call on corporate partner Diego Botana, an 'impeccable lawyer' who ‘combines a depth of knowledge of public and constitutional law with a very practical and hands-on approach’ .
María Morena del Río
‘Members of A&B public law department have both a strong legal knowledge of the law and practical experience on how to deal with complex scenarios providing a very useful practical advice in this area’.
‘Diego Botana is clearly a fine lawyer and probably one of the best in this legal area. He combines a depth of knowledge of public and constitutional law with a very practical and hands-on approach. Additionally, his opinions and analysis are very realistic and forthcoming thus not creating unrealistic expectations on the outcome of the matter which we find very valuable to avoid unnecessary litigation and looking for better way to find a solution’.
‘The public law team at Allende & Brea is truly excellent. It provides a first class service to its clients’.
‘Headed by Maria Morena del Rio, it is in my opinion one of the best law firms in terms of public law, both in terms of advice and litigation matters. The lawyers are very collaborative, being permanently aware of the client’s needs, especially in highly complex issues. They work as a team, very openly and respecting each other. They are very attentive to customer needs, providing a high quality technical and professional service. They have a very cordial and direct treatment with the client, being able to count on them permanently. They are up-to-date and know the ins and outs of the practice very well. I think all of these are qualities that set them apart from their competitors’.
‘María Morena del Río is a very distinguished professional, with great knowledge and, above all, a very respectful person in her dealings with the client. Likewise, it is also fair to highlight the associates Giuliana Busso, Sofia Cimmarusti and Maria Macarena de Corneliis. They all form a great team, providing permanent dedication to the client and a very good treatment’.
‘The team is solid, they have correct knowledge of the legal framework and applicable jurisprudence. They also handle the creation of strategies very well, with which they are a great contribution when it comes to putting together an administrative and judicial strategy’.
‘In my experience they are at the level of the best’.
‘Diego Botana is an impeccable lawyer with a very good general approach, in addition to having good handling in situations under pressure and negotiations’.
‘Sofia Cimmarusti stands out for her knowledge and excellent ability to interpret the problems we have as clients’.
Hughes Networks – Echo Start
Mastercard Cono Sur
Thermo Fisher Scientific
LSG Sky Chefs Argentina
Metlife Seguros de Retiro
Minera del Altiplano
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Europe Limited
Van Hessen Holding
HBO Latin American Group
Ente Nacional de Alto Rendimiento Deportivo
Galaxy Lithium (Sal de Vida
- Permanent advice to Thermo Fisher Scientific on the perfmrance of administrative contracts signed with public entities (such as the Ministry of Health, PAMI, Cordoba National University, Argentine Federal Police), as well as reguatory comliance to obtain applicable authorisations from relevant authorities; during the pandemic the advisory has also included interpretation of the specific direct purchasing procedure instigated by the national government.
- General advice to Mastercard Cono Sur on regulatory matters, as well as training regarding public procurements processes.
- Advisory to Minera del Altiplano regarding mining royalties claims by Salta Province within Salta’s alleged jurisdiction (that is, including territory that is subject to a border dispute between the provinces of Salta and Catamarca: el Salar del Hombre Muerto) and currently involving assistance with the preparation and submission of a reimbursement judicial action before the local Salta Court in order to request a judicial review of two decrees issued by the Governor of the Province rejecting the latest administrative appeals submitted by the company; the team is also assisting the client in matters related to an export-revenues repatriation claim.
The six-strong practice at Baker McKenzie demonstrates substantial regulatory experience and international capability and looks to advise on all economic regulation of trade and commercial activities. The practice group’s work includes public procurement, contracting structures with governmental entities and public litigation, as well as particular strength in regulatory trends related to orphan drugs, social networks and online platforms. Another area of notable activity, recently, has been advising clinics, labs and other medical/pharma-sector clients on Covid-19 pandemic-related procurement and governmental agreements. An administrative and public law specialist, principal partner Luis Dates sits on the firm’s regional coordinating committee for public law, giving him a regional vision and context. Key support comes from Santiago Maqueda , who was raised to the partnership in March 2021, and focuses on on regulatory assessments and complex litigation; he demonstrates ‘a lot of technical solidity in the regulatory sphere’ while ‘at all times taking into account the business and commercial aspects involved'.
‘Baker’s public law team is very strong and reputable in the marketplace. He has a diverse portfolio of clients and complex regulatory issues, particularly in the pharmaceutical industry and on social media. In my experience, and because I know and have worked directly with Santiago Maqueda, I consider that he compares very favourably with the teams of the other ranked law firms.‘
‘In particular, Santiago Maqueda is a lawyer at a notably higher than average level, both professionally and academically, with a lot of technical solidity in the regulatory sphere. In addition, he has at all times taking into account the business and commercial aspects involved in the matters entrusted by clients.‘
‘In general, this firm -both internationally and locally- has carried out to investments and relevant policies to promote diversity and the use of technology and artificial intelligence in their teams. This has allowed them to improve their services, offer even better interactions with customers, and operate more efficiently in terms of fees. ‘
- Represented Paris-based subway operator RATP Dev in the international public tender for a 12-year operating-and-maintenance concession contract conducted by the state-owned Subterraneos de Buenos Aires (SBASE), the current regulator of the City of Buenos Aires metro.
- Counselling and representing US pharmaceutical company Biogen’s Argntine subsidiary in several administrative proceedings that arose following the May 2019 execution of an agreement with the National Ministry of Health to ensure national coverage of a drug.
- Advising MSD Argentina, Merck’s local subsidiary, on assessing a local partner’s compensation claim that could reach up to $10m, as well as negotiating the terms and conditions for a new stage in the commercial relationship with said partner.
Long renowned for its expertise in public law and the regulated industries, the sizeable, 11-strong team at Bomchil assists clients with all manner of administrative query or contingency, advising on public bidding processes, handling administrative appeals and providing legal opinions, along with representation in administrative and judicial proceedings at all instances. The group also has extensive expertise in constitutional (amparo) actions and requests for precautionary measures. Active on an array of matters arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, it also reflects the firm's long-standing strength in the electricity segment (such as advising on is the design of renewable-energy power-purchase agreements) and continues to handle negotiations arising from public-private-partnership contracts granted by the previous administration but subsequently unfulfilled. A powerhouse trio of lead partners consists of: Francisco Gutiérrez , a 30-year veteran with deep public law experience, particularly in the communications technology and media sector; public law and electricity expert María Inés Corrá - a 'benchmark' figure whose experience encompasses public law, international arbitration, energy and regulatory matters; and Federico Campolieti, who handles regulatory issues and administrative law, in particular, the representation of companies rendering public services in administrative proceedings with regard to public tenders and licensing or in contentious-administrative litigation. Key support comes from senior associate Santiago Peña; however intermediate Magdalena Carbó left for Tanoira Cassagne Abogados in August 2021.
Francisco Gutiérrez; María Inés Corrá; Federico Campolieti
‘Professionalism and knowledge’.
‘Specialists in administrative matters. Great predisposition to work under pressure and in short notice. Excellent service and professionalism. Know-how’.
‘María Inés Corrá is a benchmark’.
Minera Los Pelambres
Wintershall DEA Argentina
Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
Banco de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Four Seasons Hotel
Caminos del Río Uruguay
Buenos Aires Arena
Minera del Altiplano
- Advised Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 on negotiations with the Argentine Government for a 10 year extension of its concession agreement covering 33 national airports.
- Advised Seaboard on a conflict with the Municipality of Hipolito Yirigoyen (Province of Salta) involving environmental and tax matters.
- Representing Stonewaysubsidiary, Araucaria, in administrative proceedings regarding the closure of one of its new power plants inthe province of Buenos Aires by the municipal and provincial environmental authorities.
Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi’s public law practice focuses on advice in the renewable energy segment, where it provides ‘in-depth knowledge of the Argentine electricity market, with special emphasis on regulatory law’. The team also handles a range of regulatory disputes and issues related to the design and implementation of infrastructure projects and public works (including construction disputes) and has experience in international investment arbitration. Recommended as a ‘brilliant lawyer, with a deep understanding of public law and arbitration’, practice head Ignacio Minorini Lima ‘stands out for his deep knowledge of regulated markets’. Additional senior input comes from senior counsel Carlos de Kemmeter (a profoundly experienced administrative and regulatory law specialist, he was previously head of the administrative law department at the former Negri & Teijeiro Abogados), and his younger colleague, expert counsel Juan Antonio Zocca, who focuses on administrative law issues related to public procurement, hydrocarbons, mining, telecommunications and broadcasting services. At associate level, key support comes from senior María Laura Rozan and intermediate Manuel Mazza. However, former senior associate Eliana Hougassian moved in house at Grupo Albanesi in October 2020, while senior Luis Tamborini and semi-senior Martina Monti both departed to undertake their LLMs in July 2021.
Ignacio Minorini Lima
‘In-depth knowledge of the Argentine electricity market, with special emphasis on regulatory law’.
‘Ignacio Minorini is an expert in public law, with excellent knowledge of the Argentine infrastructure market. Excellent legal technique. Business oriented’.
‘The legal team we work with is proactive and has legal depth in the analysis and approach of the matters entrusted to it. In this sense, they also have to know about the non-legal aspects of the activity carried out by the client, that is, commercial and operational issues, in such a way that they better understand the facts on which the consultation is based and the client’s needs. In these three aspects, the Bruchou public law team stands out, distinguishing itself from the rest of the legal firms in the market’.
‘I highlight the work of Juan Antonio Zocca, who has always been available to answer our questions (urgent and non-urgent), showing vocation and the drive to find a solution to the problem. Likewise, his dedication and commitment to the quality and perfection of the work’.
‘Bruchou has an incredible depth of knowledge of Argentine public and administrative law, as well as Argentine energy laws and regulations. They are such an incredible resource. Extremely attentive and responsive to queries and client needs, and above all, very practical and international in their outlook’.
‘Hands down, they are the best local counsel or co-counsel I have ever worked with. Bruchou is very good at adapting to the ways other teams work and they collaborate seamlessly in the virtual world. I have also been extremely impressed with the diversity of teams, and the visibility that they give to younger lawyers on matters’
‘Ignacio Minorini Lima is a brilliant lawyer, with a deep understanding of public law and arbitration but also understands the business and never neglects the corporate aspects of the consultations. He is quick and sharp in his response and always provides a scary look on any conflict’.
Inter-American Development Bank
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA)
América Latina Logística
Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia
AES Corporation / AES Argentina
Vista Oil & Gas
IVI Buenos Aires
Laboratorio Elea Phoenix
- Counsel to AES Corporation in an ICSID claim against the Argentine Republic related to AES’s investment in several power generation companies; the claim covers 20 years of Argentine regulations that dismantled the power generation regime established in the 1990’s with the privatization of the electricity sector.
- Retained by Orígenes AFJP as legal counsel in its claim against the government of Argentina, before Argentine Courts, for the nationalization of its pension funds business by means of federal Law No. 26,425 – issued in late 2008.
- Advisory to Tecme in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic regarding mandatory orders and restrictions imposed by the Argentine Federal Government, provincical, public and private entities with respect to the supply of ventilators.
With its longstanding and deep engagement in the power sector, O'Farrell necessarily houses significant capability in public law and matters of economic regulation. The nine-strong team has experience advising clients on administrative claims against the Argentine state at both federal and local levels, as well as providing counselling on public procurement related to infrastructure and public work projects. In other sectors the team has been active assisting clients with the execution and fulfilment of the new tariff regime for natural gas distribution in Buenos Aires - and contentious matters arising from the same. The practice also has niche expertise advising on dredging, maritime laws and seafaring regulations. With a strong focus on heavily regulated industries, Jorge Muratorio has expertise across all aspects of public procurement, contractor-selection procedures, contract execution, litigation and arbitration - especially with regard to the privatization of public concessions, public works and in public-private contracts. He co-leads the team with younger partner Agustina Fanelli Evans, who specializes in regulatory, administrative and constitutional matters, and also has strong expertise in public law, tariff claims and litigation matters. Key associate support comes from seniors María Fortuna and 'studious professional' Belén Micciarelli, who was promoted (to senior) in September 2020. However, public law specialist Fernando García Pullés and disputes partner Daniel Calatrava left in August 2020 to re-establish their former boutique García Pullés & Calatrava Abogados.
Jorge Muratorio; Agustina Fanelli Evans
‘It is a team with proactive diversity, with great availability, agile in the search for solutions, clarity in the language used, it interprets the needs of a construction company, like ours, which belongs to an international group’
They are transparent, they maintain the code of ethics, they listen to our needs and in a clear language they take it to the legal framework’.
‘They were very active in the pandemic, seeking legal solutions, in the face of a framework unknown to us’.
‘The firm’s administrative law team has extensive knowledge and experience in this area, which is why they have very valuable know-how and, on the other hand, this quality allows them to find practical solutions to novel or exceptional situations’.
‘Jorge Muratorio has extensive knowledge on the subject and proposes various solutions to face a certain problem, giving the in-house lawyer the possibility of evaluating the most beneficial and efficient solution together with the firm’.
‘Belen Micciarelli is a very studious professional she seeks various solutions to present to the client and accompanies them in their implementation’.
Fundación Torcuato Di Tella
- Legal advice to Cámara Empresaria de Larga Distancia (CELADI) on the challenges involved in incorporating the provisional regulatory framework for the activity of automobile passenger transport.
- Legal advice to Vossloh Cogifer on the dissolution of the Adif-Vossloh consortium and its continuity by Vosslohm, as well as on matters concerning public-sector procurement.
- Advised Dycasa on public tender processes established by both national authorities and the City of Buenos Aires, assisting with tender documents, offer proposals and challenges to the presentations of bidders, as well as on the execution of infrastructure and public-works project contracts.
Martínez de Hoz & Rueda has a broad service offering but remains best known for its energy-sector expertise, and by extension it regulatory and public law capabilities, providing assistance on a range of non-contentious, litigious and arbitral matters. The team handles concessions, licenses and authorisations, and representation in public tenders as well as in administrative and judicial proceedings, among other matters, including full regulatory advisory. Practice head Juan Cruz Azzarri is a public law specialist with experience in administrative, constitutional and competition law; his practice centres on matters related to public contracts, public utilities and infrastructure, the regulated markets (including the entire energy sector), along with regulatory advisory and contentious matters. He co-leads the team with Jimena Vega Olmos, who specialises in public law, infrastructure, power, project financing and international arbitration. At associate level, both Milagros Lezica and Sofía Pellizzaro Arena handle public law matters as part of their wider practices; however Germán Landau moved in house at YPF in February 2021.
Juan Cruz Azzarri; Jimena Vega Olmos
‘The immediate response and analytical capacity to implement the regulatory requirements regarding the particular business.‘
‘It is a team that instills confidence in the internal lawyer who must respond before the shareholders.‘
‘Their professionalism, team work, capacity for strategy and to summarise (many firms charge hours and hours for memos)’.
Parque Eólico Arauco
JinkoSolar Holding Co
International Finance Corporation
Retamco Operating Group
Transportadora Gas del Sur
Aon Risk Services
Wintershall DEA Argentina
Mitsui & Co
- Successfully advised Equinor on the offshore bidding round for the granting of offshore hydrocarbon exploration permits; as well as regular advice on public law and regulatory matters reglated to the operation of the awarded blocks.
- Regular advise to Parque Eólico Arauco on regulatory, tax, corporate and contractual matters in connection with the development of its wind farm projects in Argentina, totalling roughly 400MWs.
- Succssfuladvice to Mitsui on the offshore bidding round for the granting of offshore hydrocarbon exploration permits; as well as regular advice on public law and regulatory matters related to the operation of the awarded blocks.
Mitrani Caballero & Ruiz Moreno Abogados’ public law practice has considerable experience in relation to infrastructure projects, public tenders, public law-related M&A transactions and a range of contentious matters. Horacio Ruiz Moreno leads the team and focuses on administrative law, public-services regulation and energy sector issues. A sizeable senior team also includes partners Néstor Buján, Gustavo Cedrone, Rafael González Arzac, María Laura Lede Pizzurno and founding partner Cristian Mitrani.
Horacio Ruiz Moreno
‘The strengths in my opinion are: the professionalism, fast response time and quality service; the importance of working as a team with the client that allows them to speed up processes and avoid inconveniences and misunderstandings’.
‘In my opinion, the Mitrani firm greatly outperforms in relationships and teamwork. Since we have been working with Mitrani, we have periodic reports on the situation of each of the issues that we have active and they alert us in advance of any pending expiration regarding the issues they handle’.
‘They are excellent professionals who when in doubt have no qualms about seeking the support of another colleague to advise us with the best quality and speed. I can also add that all of them have a personalized treatment and time availability beyond what is expected’
‘They have a great knowledge of the area of port terminal concessions’.
‘Currently with the issue of Covid-19 they have solved all the part of video calls and document signatures very well’.
Hutchison Port Holdings
Maersk / Svitzer
Fortuna Silver Mines
High Luck Group Limited
Establecimiento Las Marías
ITBA – Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires
TMH Argentina / TMH International
Focused on administrative law, regulation and matters pertaining to public utilities, Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen is well-regarded for being ‘very professional, always providing timely responses’ and using ‘the most modern tools available in Argentina’. Public procurement is a key specialism for the firm, along with advising on concessions, licenses and authorisations granted by the Federal and provincial governments. Practice head Nicole Jaureguiberry handles administrative, regulatory and constitutional law issues (including environmental matters), as well as complex public law litigation, particularly as regards government procurement, infrastructure projects and the regulated industries. Key associate support comes from senior, Joaquín Ojeda Goncalves, a March 2020 hire from GHS & Asociados who also has past experience as a senior lawyer at Buenos Aires City Government Office.
‘A unique, uninterrupted cohesion and a sense of wide collaboration is noted, giving the client the peace of mind that the issues are consulted among specialists and there are many heads seeing the answers’
‘In terms of technology they have advanced a lot with collaborative meetings and virtual sessions between the company teams, an extra commitment of the team is noticed beyond an e-mail’.
‘The team is very professional, always providing timely responses in a timely manner’.
‘The firm is at the best level using the most modern tools available in Argentina, which makes it one of the users’ favorites’.
‘Respect for people, empathy in interpersonal relationships, efficiency and speed of response, generally within 24 hours’.
Old World Industries
Johnson & Johnson Medical
Betfair (Flutter Entertainment)
Fundación Rewilding Argentina
The Not Company Argentina
Sumitomo Chemical Co / Sumitomo
JP Morgan Chase Trading
Perez Companc Family Group
Phoenix Global Resources
Molinos Rio de la Plata
Un Techo para mi País
- Advised Flutter Entertainment on obtaining a licence to develop online gambling activity in the Province of Buenos Aires.
- Advised Fundación Rewilding Argentina on the proces of donating 500,000 acres of land owned by the organisation to the Argentine Government to create new national parks in Ibera, Aconquija and Patagonia, Argentina.
- Regular general advice on administrative law-related issues to Banco SSantander Rio, including on public procurement rules and the requirements for contracting with public entities, agencies and corporation; as well as judicial representation in several matters relating to investment funds, foreign exchange issues and the application of penalties by the Central Bank and Argentina’s Security Exchange Commision (SEC).
The public law practice at Tavarone, Rovelli, Salim & Miani is recommended for how it ‘adapts to the changing needs of the business and the challenging deadlines imposed by companies’. The team covers the full range of public law matters, notably public law contracts and procurement proceedings, infrastructure projects and public bidding processes, as well as advising on day-to-day regulatory matters and requirements. Along with energy sector expertise, the department can draw from the firm’s experienced disputes practitioners to assist with contentious administrative matters. Particularly well-known in the energy segment, practice head Nicolás Eliaschev specialises in administrative law and handles infrastructure, electricity and renewable energy matters. Key associate support comes from Javier Constanzó, whose practice centres on public law, energy and infrastructure (with a notable focus on construction contracts); and semi-senior Daiana Perrone who is particularly involved in the renewable energy-project segment, along with PPAs, land rights (for infrastructure projects) and bidding processes.
‘The team led by Nicolas Eliaschev quickly understands the needs of its clients. It adapts to the changing needs of the business and the challenging deadlines imposed by companies’.
‘They work with seriousness and knowledge of the practice area. The service provided is fully adapted to work under the new virtual modality. There was never a technological barrier that prevented correct and effective advice. Likewise, they accept and interact with the digital platforms proposed by the company’.
‘Both Nicolas Eliaschev and Javier Constanzó have an excellent predisposition and are clear in their legal advice. They take the time to understand the issues raised and offer solutions based not only on the legal aspect, but also on commercial convenience’.
AMX Claro Argentina
UT Arroyo Vega – Supercemento
Enel Generación El Chocón
- Advising Ferrosur on filing administrative claims concerning complex contractual matters related to inter-rail issues (that involve amounts in excess of $100m), as well as on challenging regulatory issues.
- Advising Loma Negra on a highly-complex infrastructure project, an EPC contract for the extension of L’Amali cement plant, which will result in an increase in production to a total of 2.7m tons of cement per year upon completion.
- Advising major regional online retailer Mercado Libre on all contracts to be executed with public entities (Provinces and Municipalities) as well as on matters related to the implementation of payment services-platforms and retail platforms.
Estudio Ymaz Abogados
Known for being ‘efficient and knowledgeable in the public sector’, 15-strong boutique firm Estudio Ymaz Abogados undertakes administrative, environmental and constitutional law; mining and real estate; along with handling corporate, tax and labour matters, and contentious work - be it litigation or arbitration. The six-strong public law team is best known for its engagement in the infrastructure and projects sector (where it handles a full range of contractual and contract termination matters) for a range of road and infrastructure concessionaire-clients, but also public-service sector companies, particularly in the transport, logistics and maritime segments. Senior partner and general director of the firm, Esteban Ymaz Cossio is a veteran with 50 years' experience. He co-leads the practice with Esteban Ymaz Videla and senior associate Beltrán Gorostegui, director and co-director, respectively of the firm's the administrative law and foreign investment protection practice.
Esteban Ymaz Cossio; Esteban Ymaz Videla; Beltrán Gorostegui
‘The quick disposition to understand and satisfy the client’s demand stands out. Cordiality, professionalism and helpfulness stand out’
‘It is a team that shows high performance. They work very efficiently in raising cases, and they always immediately understand the complexity of the case. That allows them in a short term and without a doubt to choose the approach of the case’.
‘They stand out from the rest both for their skills and their attitudes. They have a unique experience in the field and a predisposition and way of facing the jobs that stand out. They know how to work together with the client and thus explore to the maximum the alternative solutions’.
‘The practice of Estudio Ymaz Abogados is particularly noteworthy because it combines the strengths of each team member. The team is connected as a unit, respecting the comparative skills of each member of the same, and thus maximizing the result’.
‘The permanent updating, the good treatment and the manner with which they treat clients is impeccable. With respect to other firms, there is no comparison of the degree of cordiality and good treatment given by the team of the Estudio Ymaz Abogados’.
‘The firm’s attorneys excel in their experience and knowledge of the issues. They differ from their competitors, due to their prestige and the quality of the service they provide’.
‘Esteban Ramón Ymaz Cossio and his children, Martin Rafael Ymaz Videla, Pilar Maria Ymaz Videla and Esteban Martias Ymaz Videla, enjoy the experience, knowledge and prestige that differentiates them from other firms, as well as in the service of permanently updating its clients, always providing the best advice’.
‘They are efficient and knowledgeable in the public sector. They have good dedication’.
Correo Oficial de la República Argentina
Bombardier European Holdings
Constructora San José – Tedagua
Ludwig Pfeiffer Hoch – und Tiefbau
Cruz del Sur
CCA Green / CCA Green B
Terminales Río de la Plata
Cruz del Sur
- Advising the Comisión de Contratistas PPPs Viales, a consortium of contractors, on all legal matters pertaining to the first six public-private-partnership contracts signed under the new regulatory framework that came into force in 2017.
- Counsel to Ghella and SACDE on the development of the underground Sarmiento Railway.
- Advising Iecsa – Ghella on the execution of the contract for the construction of the Matanza Riachuelo river clean-up and wastewater disposal sustainable development project.