Public law in Argentina
According to sources, Cassagne Abogados is ‘the most prominent boutique in the public law area’. Well versed in all key pillars of administrative law, constitutional law and economic regulation, the regulatory heavyweight’s established track record in complex litigation particularly impresses. The firm is a popular choice to advise both local and multinational clients on regulatory matters, public contracts, infrastructure projects and arbitration, with its sector knowledge spanning nearly all industries. High-profile figure Juan Carlos Cassagne heads a group that also includes experienced public law experts Máximo Fonrouge and Pablo Perrino. Ezequiel Cassagne is an impressive up-and-coming specialist.
‘Cassagne Abogados is the most prominent boutique in the public law area in Argentina.’
‘Cassagne is extremely skilled in complex public law cases.’
Telefónica de Argentina
China Gezhouba Group
Aluar Aluminio Argentino
British American Tobacco
Sociedad Rural Argentina
Jan De Nul
Cámara Argentina de la Construcción
Buenos Aires Zona Franca La Plata
Catedral Alta Patagonia
- Represented Cámara Argentina de la Construcción in an investigation conducted by the Antitrust Commission regarding the alleged existence of bid rigging in public works procurement proceedings.
- Represented China Gezhouba Group on the renegotiation of a $1.3bn contract for the construction of an electric generator plant.
- Advised Belgium-based Jan De Nul on the concession contract for the Hidrovía Río Paraná de las Palmas project.
Marval O’Farrell Mairal’s ‘outstanding’ public law department is distinguished by its ‘dedicated professionals’ and its ‘scope and sophistication’. The first-class group specialises in all areas of public law, from the design of regulatory frameworks, through to procurement proceedings and complex public law disputes. The team also works closely with the firm’s compliance department to advise on regulatory and anti-corruption matters. Héctor Mairal is a senior expert, with strong experience in M&A transactions and sensitive disputes. Other key contacts include María Lorena Schiariti, who stands out for her ‘unparalleled’ knowledge and experience, and Enrique Veramendi, who specialises in complex public law issues. Associate Gonzalo Santamaria is also recommended for his focus on public law.
‘Public law in Argentina is a very specific area of law which requires agility and experience. As an in-house lawyer, I need to know that the whole external team will be available to handle any urgent matters that arise. The lawyers in Marval, O’Farrell Mairal’s public law team are dedicated professionals, with great experience in the area.’
‘The team is detail-oriented and available to assist their clients at any time. The firm’s lawyers have a broad knowledge of public law and advise us accurately on public procurement issues.’
‘The work of the public and administrative law department has been outstanding; we cannot compare them to other firms in the market because of the scope and sophistication of the service they provide.’
‘What especially stands out is that the solutions they offer, and the responses they provide to our queries, are always creative and show strong conceptual skills, which enables us to make safe commercial decisions.’
‘We work with María Lorena Schiariti and her team, including Juan Manuel Naveira and Gonzalo Santamaría. They specialise in public and administrative law, as well as compliance and anti-corruption. ’
‘We have chosen to work exclusively with Ms Schiariti for many years and there are very clear reasons for this: her knowledge and experience in regulatory matters is unparalleled by other lawyers in the market. Her broad experience allows her to respond to our queries precisely and in detail, providing advice that has a perfect balance of value and efficiency.
‘María Lorena Schiariti is one who stands out for her high level of professional capability and client care.’
Autopistas del Sol
Grupo Concesionario del Oeste
- Advised APM Terminals, and local affiliates Terminal 4 and Terminal Buenos Aires, on the renegotiation of its current concession contracts, and also on its bid for the concession of all port terminals located in Puerto Nuevo.
- Represented toll road concessionaire, Autopistas del Sol, on the implementation and enforcement of its renegotiated concession contract with Argentina’s federal government.
- Advised Compañía Mega (a joint venture between YPF, Petrobrás and Dow Chemical) on an administrative claim for the reimbursement of compensation owed by the government pursuant to mandatory sales of LPG in the local market.
- Advised SAP Argentina on federal and provincial procurement regulations.
Allende & Brea’s administrative law group finds favour for its ‘high-level responses’ and its ‘speedy service’. The practice handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, with broad experience in public procurement, M&A, project finance and public law disputes. Mainly active on behalf of clients in the construction and engineering sectors, the team also regularly represents local and foreign companies in the telecoms, financial services, and energy and natural resources spheres. María Morena del Río heads the department and specialises in administrative and environmental law.
‘In public law, it is essential that lawyers are specialists in the field since it is very specific, and this team’s experience is an added value.’
‘The work carried out between the different lawyers of the firm and, in turn, between the firm and the client is strong. It compares favourably with teams from other law firms.’
‘We value the high-level responses and its speedy service.’
Keolis – Helport Consortium
Squire Patton Boggs
Hughes Networks – Echo Start
HBO Latin American
Minera del Altiplano
Elena Bonatti Rocca
Mastercard Cono Sur
Galaxy Lithium (Sal de Vida)
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Odebrecht, Ingeniería & Construcción
Ente Nacional de Alto Rendimiento Argentino
La Caja Seguros
Weatherford International Argentina
- Advised the Keolis-Helport consortium on its bid for the concession to operate and maintain the subway and premetr of the City of Buenos Aires.
- Represented YPF in a judicial claim where the plaintiff requested access to certain environmental information from YPF.
- Advised Vaisala on its bid to assist EANA (the Argentine Air Navigation Company) with the acquisition, installation and commissioning of meteorological equipment in 31 Argentinean airports.
Baker McKenzie’s ‘very dedicated’ and ‘highly qualified’ team continues to make inroads into public law in Argentina. Traditionally focused on contentious matters — where it still excels — the group also shines in public procurement, regulatory due diligence and risk mitigation. The firm’s premier client base is comprised of major global corporates, with particularly strong representation in the technology, life sciences and infrastructure fields. Department head Luis Dates is sought after for both advisory and contentious work. Santiago Maqueda Fourcade is an impressive senior associate.
‘They do a very good job and I am grateful for their cooperation and support.’
‘They are quite responsive and used to working with fast-paced organisations. The team is very dedicated and works in a fast and optimised way.’
‘The lawyers are highly qualified and have a lot of experience in litigation. They handle negotiations with public sector bodies very well.’
‘Luis Dates is very available and understands very well the needs of foreign clients.’
‘Luis Dates and Santiago Maqueda Fourcade are excellent lawyers and provide total support in negotiations and litigation. They are always responsive to clients’ needs and deliver positive results.’
- Advised RATP Developpement, the subway operator for Paris, on its bid to SBASE, the current regulator of the City of Buenos Aires’ metro, for a concession contract.
- Acted for Biogen on a framework agreement with the National Ministry of Health to ensure national coverage of a drug developed by the client.
- Represented Unisys Corporation in an international arbitration against the Argentine Government.
The ‘very dedicated’ team at Beccar Varela provides ‘high-quality service’, according to sources. Historically best known for its robust expertise in public procurement and government contracts, the group continues to grow its profile in the regulatory and public law litigation spaces. Oscar Aguilar Valdez is widely recognised for his ‘remarkable knowledge and understanding’ and jointly leads the department alongside up-and-coming specialist Juan Antonio Stupenengo. The group was recently boosted by the arrival of ‘outstanding senior associate’ Juan Pablo Perrino, who joined from Cassagne Abogados.
‘It is a highly qualified team that is also very dedicated, providing a high-quality service.’
‘Oscar Aguilar Valdez is one of the most highly regarded lawyers in the area of public and administrative law, with a remarkable knowledge and understanding of the subject.’
‘Juan Pablo Perrino is an outstanding senior associate with a great ability to adapt.’
Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos (AySA)
Vial Andes 7
Plus Mobile Argentina
Lomas del Sol
Belgrano Cargas y Logística
Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires
José Cartellone Construcciones Civiles
- Advised Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos on two international public tenders for the execution of works related to the provision of potable water service.
- Acted for Mercado Libre on the development of a logistic sub-concession agreement within the Mercado Central of Buenos Aires.
- Represented delivery goods app, Glovo, on challenging regulations enacted by the City of Buenos Aires which prohibit its activity within the city.
Bomchil is arguably best known for its record in the telecoms sector, where it routinely represents service providers in regulatory and contentious matters. The team, which is also well versed in the energy, water and transport industries, additionally advises on public concessions, regulatory risks and environmental matters. Key contacts include telecoms expert Francisco Gutiérrez, energy regulation specialist María Inés Corrá and increasingly prominent up-and-coming public law partner Federico Campolieti.
Minera Los Pelambres
Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
Banco de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Four Seasons Hotel
Caminos del Río Uruguay
Buenos Aires Arena
- Advised PepsiCo on the public law aspects of its donation of real estate in Buenos Aires to the state of Argentina
- Represented Minera Los Pelambres in administrative proceedings relating to the removal of a mining waste dump partially located in Argentina to Chile.
- Successfully represented fixed telephone and broadband operator, Iplan, in several regulatory disputes concerning interconnection with mobile telecommunications networks.
The ‘super-focused’ Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi ‘delivers solutions’, according to sources. On the non-contentious side, the team has a strong record in infrastructure matters and energy regulation, where it consistently acts for major global clients. On the contentious front, it has expertise in high-stakes regulatory disputes, particularly relating to the social security system and energy regulation amendments. Department head Ignacio Minorini Lima is a ‘brilliant lawyer’. Experienced senior counsel Carlos de Kemmeter and the ‘very dedicated’ Juan Zocca -who was made up to Expert Counsel in August 2020- are also recommended.
‘They are super-focused, their expertise shows and they get straight to the point.’
‘It is a strong team that is focused on approaching issues in the best possible way.’
‘The team provides excellent analysis and delivers solutions. They are committed to following up on cases.’
‘Ignacio Minorini Lima is a brilliant lawyer, with vast experience and excellent people skills.’
‘Senior consultant Carlos de Kemmeter has demonstrated profound knowledge of his area of legal practice and of the jurisprudence and legal doctrines. He provides substantial support in the shaping of our group’s strategies in this area.’
‘Senior associate Juan Zocca is a very strong professional and also provides excellent client care. He tackles our various queries effectively. He is very dedicated to meeting clients’ requirements.’
Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques (SITA)
América Latina Logística
Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia
IVI Buenos Aires
- Acted for the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) on the implementation of the ‘Puente Building’ project, destined to house the IDB Group’s new headquarters for the Southern Cone.
- Advised Société Internationale de Télécommunications Aéronautiques on its activities in Argentina, including on telecoms regulations, procurement procedures and registration with federal authorities.
- Advised China-based Envision on the implementation and construction of its four awarded renewable projects in Argentina.
Estudio O'Farrell demonstrates ‘great capacity for analysis’ and ‘strength in advising on different issues’. The wider firm’s emphasis on heavily regulated industries translates into a practice that represents companies in the energy, infrastructure, transport and telecoms spheres on administrative claims, both at the federal and local levels. It also advises on public procurement and general regulatory matters. The department is led jointly by public law specialist Jorge Muratorio, regulated industries expert Fernando García Pullés and María Agustina Fanelli Evans, who focuses on regulatory, administrative and constitutional law.
‘What makes them stand out is their extraordinary experience and effectiveness. They have a great capacity for analysis and strength in advising on different issues.’
‘The team is strong, very professional and knowledgeable about local laws.’
‘They examine the jurisprudence in depth, are clear when providing answers, and work very well and efficiently together. They listen to clients’ needs.’
‘I work with Jorge Muratorio; one of his best qualities is the speed and clarity with which he can see the right path to follow in legal matters. He provides clear and specific explanations, which gives the client a broad view of the situation, enabling them to make decisions which can quickly be applied.’
‘I have worked with the three partners, Fernando García Pullés, Jorge Muratorio and María Agustina Fanelli Evans, and they all have outstanding professional qualities. They are also very easy to work with.’
CELADI (Cámara Empresaria de Larga Distancia)
Fundación Universidad Torcuato Di Tella
- Advised Vossloh Cogifer on various procurement processes.
- Advised Medicus de Asistencia Medica y Cientifica on the coverage of an expensive medication marketed abroad.
- Represented Turkish Airlines in passenger claims before the Argentine Civil Aviation Authority, and also in proceedings before the National Migration Office for alleged breach of migration law.
Energy powerhouse Martínez de Hoz & Rueda is highly regarded for its record in representing local and international bidders on public tenders in the electricity and oil-and-gas spheres. It also advises on regulatory, licensing and contentious matters, with international arbitration another strong suit. Juan Cruz Azzarri, whose broad practice takes in administrative, constitutional and competition law, co-heads the team alongside public law and infrastructure partner Jimena Vega Olmos.
Parque Eólico Arauco
Agence Française de Développement (AFD)
Retamco Operating Group
AON Risk Services
YPF Energía Eléctrica
Nueva Plaza Hotel Mendoza
International Finance Corporation
Transportadora Gas del Sur
- Advised Parque Eólico Arauco SAPEM on regulatory, tax, corporate and contractual matters related to the development of its wind farm projects in Argentina.
- Successfully acted for Exxon in the offshore bidding round for the granting of offshore hydrocarbon exploration permits.
Mitrani Caballero & Ruiz Moreno Abogados houses a solid public law offering, which handles a mix of infrastructure projects, public tenders, public law-related M&A transactions and contentious work. Among its recent highlights, the firm has been mainly active in the energy and transport (particularly rail), areas. Group head Horacio Ruiz Moreno is well versed in administrative law, public services regulation and energy matters.
Hutchison Port Holdings
IEASA, Government owned Energy Company
Maersk / Svitzer
Fortuna Silver Mines
High Luck Group Limited
Establecimiento Las Marías
ITBA – Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires
- Advised TMH Argentina on the international public tender launched by the National Ministry of Transport to supply 70 electric multiple unit cars (and spare parts) for the Buenos Aires Regional Express Network.
- Represented Ledesma in filing claims against the federal government relating to the Biofuels Promotion Regime.
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen is recommended for its ‘strong legal expertise’ and ‘significant experience in negotiating with government departments’. The team leverages the wider firm’s full-service offering to provide multidisciplinary coverage of public law issues, with notable skill sets in financial services, infrastructure and energy. Newly promoted counsellor Nicole Jaureguiberry is ‘committed to excellence’ and advises on government procurement, infrastructure projects and environmental law.
‘Strong legal expertise, broad experience with Argentine law and Argentine public institutions, and significant experience in negotiating with government departments.’
‘Nicole Jaureguiberry is smart, well prepared to lead a difficult matter and committed to excellence within a tight time-frame.’
Johnson & Johnson Medical
Banco Santander Río
Conservation Land Trust Argentina / Fundación Flora y Fauna Argentina
Phoenix Global Resources
China Export and Credit Insurance Corporation (Sinosure)
JP Morgan Chase
Perez Companc Family Group
Louis Dreyfus Commodities
Molinos Río de la Plata
The Not Company
Old World Industries
- Advised Betfair on the public call for the award of licenses for the development of online gambling in Buenos Aires Province.
- Represented Edesur on the renegotiation of a settlement agreement with the Argentine Government.
Estudio Ymaz Abogados
Estudio Ymaz Abogados’ ‘strong and well-established team’ is a key player in the infrastructure field. A regular fixture on PPP projects, for both private and public-sector clients, the group is experienced in advising on all asset classes, with recent experience in highway concessions, energy projects, and water and sanitation. Seasoned administrative and constitutional law specialist Esteban Ymaz Cossio spearheads the two-partner practice.
‘The firm is very prestigious and truly deserves its reputation.’
‘The lawyers work very well together and have a good understanding of the law on public works. They can see the strong and weak points of a case and they listen to us and work to satisfy all our requirements, so that we are protected in legal matters.’
‘They are practical and always aware of, and able to anticipate, changes in the market.’
‘The collaborative work of the partners shows one of the firm’s strong points, which is the ability to work as a team on every matter. They stand out principally because they are able to provide advice on any of the various areas we require. It is a strong and well-established team.’
‘We have worked with them for many years and they are among our best advisers. They are very serious and honest. I have had a very good experience, especially with Esteban Ymaz Cossio.’
‘Esteban Ymaz Cossio, Esteban Ymaz Videla and litigator Martín Ymaz Videla stand out for the efficiency of their work and the speed with which they respond to queries when investigating and studying the background of a case.’
Sociedad Argentina de Construcción y Desarrollo Estratégico (SACDE)
Correo Oficial de la República Argentina
Bombardier European Holdings
Constructora San José – Tedagua
Ludwig Pfeiffer Hoch-und Tiefbau
Cruz del Sur
CCA Green B
Terminales Río de la Plata
- Advised Dirección Provincial de Puertos de Tierra del Fuego on the preparation of lawsuits related to provincial port fees.
- Acted for the Comisión de Contratistas PPPs Viales on the first six PPP contracts ever signed by the Argentine State.