Providing ‘unmatched technical knowledge’ Allende & Brea’s market leading practice ‘goes beyond the regulatory or litigation aspects, but understands the insurance business and its advice is nurtured by that understanding’. The team specialises in representing international reinsurers and reinsurance brokers, as well as insurance and reinsurance associations. Key strengths include advising on corporate and regulatory matters, claim issues and the Argentine reinsurance regime. Martín Argañaraz leads the group and is recommended for his ‘unparalleled market and business knowledge’. Also notable are Laura Santanatoglia, who focuses on advising insurance and reinsurance companies, brokers and other clients on regulatory matters; and experienced associate María Agustina Diaz.
Insurance in Argentina
‘Efficiency – quick understanding on foreign legal systems’.
‘A great team with unmatched technical knowledge’.
‘Its look goes beyond the regulatory or litigation aspect, but understands the insurance business and its advice draws on that understanding’.
‘The partner in charge, Martín Argañaraz Luque, has unparalleled market and business knowledge. He understands the focus of the query and the response is not only technically flawless, but he has an eye on the business that leads to the expected result’.
Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company
AmTrust North America
Assuranceforeningen Skuld (Gjensidig)
Boston Compañía Argentina de Seguros
Caja de Seguros
Compagnie Francaise D Assurance pour le Commerce Exterieur – COFACE
Lloyd’s of London
McDermott Will & Emery
Miller Insurance Services
Mobiliare Svizzera Societá D’Assicurazioni
Partner Reinsurance (Dublin)
Partner Reinsurance Company
QBE Management Services (UK)
RBS Reinsurance Broking Services Corredores de Reaseguros
Pembroke Managing Agency
Swiss Re Corporate Solutions
Tokio Marine Kiln Group
Steptoe & Johnson UK
John Hancock Life Insurance Company
- Advising German reinsurer Deutsche Rückversicherung Aktiengesellschaft on its registration to udertake reinsurance businesses in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and the Dominican Republic, as a foreign reinsurer.
- Assisting the French reinsurer CCR Re with a multi-jurisdictional registration process (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay and Peru).
- Advised Chinese reinsurer PICC on the company’s registration so as to undertake reinsurance businesses in Argentina.
The dedicated insurance and reinsurance practice at Marval O’Farrell Mairal maintains its prominence due to its breadth of expertise and ability to ‘understand the current situations in the country’. The full-service firm is well regarded for its skilled ‘specialists in many areas, which allows it to address the same topic from different aspects and exhaust a consultation in an integral way’. A particular strength is large, complex disputes in the insurance sector, but the team also handles regulatory and corporate issues, as well as aviation and marine matters. Insurance expert Pablo Cereijido leads a 14-strong team that includes Elías Bestani, who is recommended as ‘an accomplished lawyer, with deep expertise in aviation insurance, a proactive approach and who is able to advise on complex matters’. Another key name in the area is senior associate María Victoria Rodríguez Mamberti, who focuses on marine and aviation matters.
‘Excellent predisposition for work, immediate response to each query that is made to them’.
‘Giving professional and correct answers for decision making. They show commitment, knowledge and capacity in each area that they are consulted’.
‘The main difference is the personalized attention of the members. Always attentive to the orders we make, and willing to accompany us to find the best solution to the problems that may arise’.
‘Specialists in many areas, which allows it to address the same topic from different aspects and exhaust a consultation in an integral way’.
‘Understand the current situations in the country’.
‘The practice has deep insurance expertise as well as aviation expertise which puts it in pole position to the go to firm for aviation insurance matters’.
‘The practice is slick with efficient advisory and billing service, adopts a commercial attitude and understands the London insurance market inside out’.
‘Elias Bestani is an accomplished lawyer, with deep expertise in aviation insurance, a proactive approach and who is able to advise on complex matters. This coupled with his commercial outlook makes him the go to lawyer for complex aviation insurance matters in the region’.
The Zurich Group
Marsh – Guy Carpenter & Company
SURA – Aseguradora de Créditos y Garantías
Assurant Argentina Compañía de Seguros – Virginia Surety
Liberty Mutual Surety
IRB Brasil Re
Hanseatica Compañía de Seguros
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance
- Advising XL Catlin on a high-profile reinsurance claim concerning the collision of two helicopters (during the production of a French TV show) which resulted in 10 deaths and the writing-off of both helicopters.
- Representing Zurich Argentina Compañía de Seguros in one of the first cases to reach the Supreme Court of Justice concerning the interest rate to be applied in civil claims.
- Representing insurance group Sura in a claim brought by the Argentine government to collect under a performance-bond granted under a concession agreement that was subsequently revoked by the government.
Beccar Varela provides ‘high technical capacity’ and an ‘in-depth knowledge of insurance topics, in addition to various specialities in the law’. The firm advises national and international insurance and reinsurance players, as well as brokers, on the transfer and sale of customer portfolios, corporate issues, regulatory matters, product approvals, marketing agreements and reinsurance accords. As well as regulatory advice, insurance litigation is another area of expertise for a practice that represents clients across a range of insurance-related legal proceedings, including class actions. Daniel Seoane leads the team and is a go-to name for insurance law and corporate advice. Key associate support comes from highly-experienced senior Agustín Luis Duarte.
‘The team stands out for its knowledge of the insurance and financial market. It gives an added value in the experiences with other clients’.
‘The plus is the knowledge of the insurance market, covering a wide range of topics. Additionally, its availability’.
‘The Firm acts with great speed and efficiency to achieve the collection of the sums due’.
‘They always incorporate friendly practices and formats for their legal opinions’.
Allianz Argentina Compañía de Seguros
Supervielle Group / Supervielle Seguros
Toyota Compañía Financiera Argentina
Volkswagen Brokers Argentina (Asesores de Seguros) / Volkswagen Credit Compañía Financiera / Volkswagen Financial Services Holding Argentina
Willis Europe BV and its subsidiaries Willis Argentina and Willis Corredores de Seguros
Bradesco Seguros and its subsidiary Bradesco Argentina de Seguros
- Advice on the registration of Toyota Compañía Financiera Argentina as a broker, as well as advice regarding requirements to start operations (including agreements with insurance companies), and development of a legal strategy for the financial entity and the new broker insurance activities.
- Advised RSA Group on a portfolio transfer and its approval by the Superintendence of Insurance; as well as currently advising the client on the cancellation of its inscription before the Superintendence of Insurance and the Public Registry.
- Advised an international insurer on a new group of collective actions initiated by Consumer’s Associations, as swell as regarding a new collective action related to the reimbursement of premiums related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bulló Abogados specialises in representing major insurance and reinsurance companies across the spectrum of contentious matters, covering high-volume claims management, complex class actions and arbitration. Carlos Alberto Estebenet leads the team and focuses on insurance litigation. Other key names include Javier Augusto Santiere and Daniel Guffanti.
Carlos Alberto Estebenet
Nicholson y Cano Abogados’ comprehensive insurance practice covers corporate and regulatory issues, product approvals, reinsurance agreements and contracts with brokers and other distributors, as well as pre-litigation, mediation and litigation. The firm separates the department into two core area, on the one hand regulatory, corporate and contractual the work, and on the other the management of large claims portfolios. Particular areas of expertise include the development of life and annuities insurance products, handling of workmen compensation insurance portfolios, and bancassurance legal framework. Corporate law specialist María Fraguas co-leads the team with Juan Carlos Etchebehere, who focuses on labour-related insurance matters.
Maria Fraguas; Juan Carlos Etchebehere
Zurich Cía. de Seguros
BBVA Consolidar Seguros
SMG Seguros – SMG ART
- Integral review of all HSBC Seguros’ life and annuity products; assisting the client with drafting all contractual documents and requesting product approval s before the Superintendency of Insurance.
- Assisted Mercadolibre with the preparation of the filings required to obtain a license as an insurance agent from the Insurance Superintendency.
- Ongoing litigation on behalf of labour risk insurance companies (ARTs) -Asociart, SMG, Experta- providing the most suitable defence for each specific case; some 685 claims were finalised during the year 2019.
Bomchil handles a variety of insurance, reinsurance and related issues for underwriters, brokers and insured parties, with one client noting that, ‘the solidity of their solutions gives us peace of mind' and that they 'are creative in looking for alternatives in their answers'. The practice is particular known for insurance matters involving litigation and unfair competition clauses, as well as providing general corporate, regulatory and commercial advice in the area. A key name is Néstor Belgrano, who has a ‘strategic vision of the business and a lot of knowledge’. He co-leads the team with Máximo J Bomchil, who -raised to the partnership in January 2021- demonstrates ‘great strength in his responses and excellent availability’.
Néstor Belgrano; Máximo Bomchil
‘It is a team at the service of the client’.
‘The solidity of their solutions gives us peace of mind and they are creative in looking for alternatives in their answers’.
‘More than a firm, they are fundamental collaborators in the development of the issues’.
‘Nestor Belgrano has a strategic vision of the business and a lot of knowledge of the company’s stakeholders’.
‘Maximo Bomchil has great strength in his responses and excellent availability to attend to our affairs’.
Caixa Seguros (Brazil)
- Assist CNP on an ongoing basis key players in the insurance industry including: CNP Argentina Compañía de Seguros, CNP Assurance, CNP Assurance Brasil Holding and Caixa Seguros.
- Assisting French insurance company April International with a matter related to a distribution agreement with an Argentine company.
- Assisting an international reinsurance broker with the establishment of its local operation and representation before the Office of Corporations and the Superintendent of Insurance in its registration process.
Lopez Saavedra & Villarroel
Boutique Lopez Saavedra & Villarroel focuses on advising insurance and reinsurance clients on regulatory and contentious matters. Specialisms include issues related to the maritime and aviation segments, as well as advising on policy wordings and the establishment of local offices for foreign insurers. Founding partner Mariano López Saavedra is the go-to person in the practice and well-regarded in the field.
Mariano López Saavedra
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen advises insurance companies on M&A transactions and assists international insurance and reinsurance companies establish representative offices in Argentina, among other matters. On the contentious side, the practice has experience defending insurance companies in class actions brought by consumer protection associations. Practice head Mariano Grondona handles a broad range of counselling, transactions and litigation in the insurance sector as part of his broader practice. An additional key name in the team is senior associate Lucila Guerrero, who specialises in aeronautical and insurance matters.
Zapiola Guerrico & Asociados
Negotiation, mediation and litigation boutique Zapiola Guerrico & Asociados specialises in the areas of insurance, workers’ compensation and civil liability. The nine-strong team negotiates and litigates cases throughout the country and at all levels, including the National Supreme Court. The practice is increasingly active in the niche area of "insurtech" and possible conflicts regarding personal data protection, algorithm bias, discrimination and civil liability. Founding partner Martin Zapiola Guerrico is head of the team and an expert in complex negotiations and litigation.
Martín Zapiola Guerrico
La Meridional (Argentina)
Zurich International Life Argentina