The multidisciplinary Marval O’Farrell Mairal team ‘provides the most complete, judicious, efficient and prompt advice’ in disputes, particularly in relation to large, complex matters. The practice handles civil and commercial litigation before all court levels (be they local, provisional or federal), contentious administrative and constitutional matters, as well as bankruptcy litigation. It is also deeply experience in local and international arbitration and alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and conciliation. Dedicated disputes specialist Ricardo Ostrower is expert in both litigation and arbitration and leads a powerful team of over 60 lawyers that clients regard as 'world class'. Other highly-regarded practitioners include Julio César Rivera Jr (commercial litigation, international and domestic commercial arbitration, insolvency and constitutional law), Martín Campbell (commercial, business and labour law litigation); and Santiago Soria, who is especially strong on disputes in the energy and natural resources sector. Rodrgio F García (complex civil and commercial litigation) and Elias F Bestani (complex litigation, particularly regarding insurance / reinsurance, and aviation and maritime disputes), are also noted.
Dispute resolution in Argentina
‘Top notch international arbitration team with a deep, bilingual bench’.
‘Their rates are quite competitive compared to other international practices, and every member of the team is highly efficient, providing excellent service and client work at a cost below the market median’.
‘A world-class, higly-motivated team’.
‘The qualities that I valued the most in them include their dedication to the client, their professionalism and how efficient they were in discharging their duties. Other qualities included team work, collaboration and attention to detail’.
‘The interdisciplinary team of the litigation area provides the most complete, judicious, efficient and prompt advice that I would have dealt with in my professional career as an inhouse lawyer’.
‘The mechanics of working and interacting with Marval have always been practical and efficient. A constant and direct interaction with the partner of the area for decision making’.
Compañía Naviera Horamar
Pan American Energy
- Representing Credit Suisse, as defendant, in a class action related to the world-famous Madoff fraud.
- Representing ATR in the repossession of two aircraft sold to Avian Lineas Aereas with retention of title.
- Representing INC in litigation related to the debt restructuring of real estate developer, Rivera Desarrollos.
Well regarded for its broad experience in litigation and corporate disputes, Beccar Varela represents local and foreign clients, as plaintiffs or defendants, in class actions and contentious commercial and civil matters. The firm also has a strong position in domestic and international arbitration, including investment arbitration, as well as providing advice and litigation related to corporate criminal law and white-collar crime. Seasoned professional Eduardo Güemes focuses on civil and commercial litigation, class actions, and insolvency and debt restructuring. Güemes co-leads the team with Gonzalo García Delatour, who undertakes both litigation and arbitration and has particular expertise in bankruptcy matters; Martín Gastaldi, who handles contentious issues related to rehabilitation bankruptcy (Chapter 11), liquidation bankruptcy (Chapter 7) and debt restructurings; and Federico Sosa, raised to the partnership in March 2020, his practice centres on commercial litigation, class actions, insolvency and bankruptcy.
Eduardo Güemes; Gonzalo García Delatour; Martín Gastaldi; Federico Sosa
‘Knowledge of fellow lawyers from the opposing team and a good spirit for dialogue, which favors communication between the parties during the process’
Latin American Investment Bank Bahamas
Citi International Financial Services
Tyco / ADT / Johnson Controls
CSAV / Hapag Lloyd
Prisma Medios de Pago
- Representing an international company in the drinks sector in a complex lawsuit filed by a distributor claiming a monetary relief in connection with: (i) the termination of a distribution agreement, and (ii) certain allegedly wrongful modifications to the terms of such distribution agreement.
- Advising and representing an international oil company in a complex dispute where the plaintiff claims monetary relief arising from: (i) the allegedly invalid termination of a service-provision agreement, and (ii) certain alleged breaches of said agreement.
- Advising Citibank (New York), Citibank (Argentine branch), Latin America Investment Bank Bahamas and Citi International Financial Services in a claim for damages allegedly caused by the wrongful manipulation of the plaintiff´s investments.
Combining ‘legal knowledge, experience and practicality’ Bomchil's dispute practice ‘handles the pressure of time and the requirements that a process imposes very well’. The firm fields a sizeable team of over 30 lawyers that has a particularly stand-out rack record advising multinational and domestic clients on economic regulation and arbitration, but also undertakes a full range of litigious matters, as well as being ‘at the forefront of technological issues’. The team is co-led by -on the litigious side- Javier Petrantonio, who focuses on M&A and litigation, and Martín Torres Girotti, who handles complex civil and commercial litigation, along with insolvency and restructuring proceedings. On the arbitral-side, María Inés Corrá has almost 20 years' experience of significant cases under ICC, ICDR and UNCITRAL rules - she also litigates; while Federico Campolieti too, is an ‘excellent professional and has vast experience in international arbitration’. A ‘solid telecommunications specialist, well known in the Argentine market’, Francisco Gutiérrez undertakes both litigation and arbitration, along with compliance, administrative and regulatory matters, particularly in relation to information and communications technology and media.
Javier Petrantonio; Martín Torres Girotti; María Inés Corrá; Federico Campolieti; Francisco Gutierrez
‘An excellent practice: they combine legal knowledge, experience and practicality. They are always at the forefront of technological issues. They know the subject, not only from a theoretical point of view but also from a practical point of view. They give solutions, not merely legal answers. They look for the ways to achieve the objectives. They perfectly handle the strategy and the specific events that are presented’.
‘The team is numerous in this practice and of the highest quality. I consider that Bomchil is the most solid firm of Argentina in arbitration. The billing is correct. They respect diversity, they are very collaborative with the client’.
‘In terms of technology, Bomchil is cutting edge as well’.
‘Francisco Gutierrez is a solid telecommunications specialist, well known in the Argentine market. He combines that practice, in which he is a leader, with business law and dispute resolution skills’.
‘Federico Campolieti is an excellent professional and has vast experience in international arbitration. In our case, he acts as counsel in the arbitration and is outstanding’.
‘Bomchil’s dispute resolution team has strong knowledge and great experience in the area that makes it one of the best firms in the field’.
‘The team is highly qualified, at the height of the events that occur internationally. They handle the pressure of time and requirements that a process implies very well. In particular, the team is 100% dedicated and empathic with the case, becoming one more member of the company’.
‘They have absolute dedication to the cases that arise and full time availability, which makes their accompaniment essential’.
ENEL (former Endesa)
Banco de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires
Wintershall DEA Argentina
Peugeot Citroën Argentina
Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
Buenos Aires Arena
Minera Los Pelambres
Stoneway Corp / Araucaria Energy
- Representing PepsiCo in an ongoing commercial trial involving the termination of a distribution agreement and raising novel points of commercial law.
- Acting as counsel to HCA (a local company belonging to international shareholders) in an arbitration; the claimant is a large construction company.
- Acted for Siemens in a commercial arbitration (Swipco versus Siemens) under UNCITRAL rules (by default).
Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi provides a practice with experience in a broad range of contentious advice, including contractual, bankruptcy, environmental, insurance claims, criminal cases, company-law conflicts and torts claims. The firm is also increasingly active in the growing area of class or collective actions. On the arbitral side, the department handles proceedings under ICSID, ICC, UNCITRAL and Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre rules, as well as representing clients in exequatur proceedings - where the recognition and enforcement of international arbitration sentences is sought before Argentine courts. Carlos Rotman leads the team and focuses on litigation, domestic and international arbitration, company law conflicts and bankruptcy proceedings, with a specialisation in complex disputes under ICC and Buenos Aires Stock Exchange arbitral centre rules. Another key name is Martín Beretervide, a former Commercial Court official who has extensive experience in commercial litigation related to both bankruptcy and corporate matters.
‘The team is very up-to-date on the latest developments in this field’.
‘Lawyers who are very accessible to customer inquiries and are always willing to collaborate by providing feedback’.
The Royal Bank of Scotland
AES Argentina Generación
Cervecería y Maltería Quilmes
American Express Argentina
Minera Andina del Sol
Papel del Tucumán
HSBC Private Bank (Suisse)
Hydro Extrusion Argentina
Vista Oil & Gas
- Advising and assisting YPF with strategy matters in relation to a dispute and operational assistance in Argentina with respect to a discovery proceeding.
- Advising Centurylink in one of its most highly sensitive cases, as defendant in a complex breach of contract dispute before the federal courts.
- Advised Unipar in commercial court claims, complex litigation and a delisting process.
Allende & Brea is recommended for being ‘always updated at the level of doctrine and jurisprudence’. The firm has a ‘great capacity to find innovative solutions’ and the ‘solidity and quality of customer service are distinguishing factors, which allow them to stand out from other firms’. A key specialism for the broad litigation and arbitration practice is class action cases, particularly in the financial and insurance areas; another is commercial arbitration. Co-head David Gurfinkel always has 'a correct vision of the case' along with 'unrivalled writing skill’. He co-leads the team with Enrique Cristian Fox, who is known for assisting in complex shareholder-conflicts and acting as arbitrator in commercial disputes. At associate level, experienced seniors Diego Paz Saravia and Daiana Mascheroni are both noted.
David Gurfinkel; Enrique Cristian Fox
‘An excellent team, always available to answer questions and with detailed knowledge of the cases in their charge’.
‘David Gurfinkel is exceptional, always with a correct vision of the case and with an unrivaled writing ability. He is a very special practice. He requires special focus on defending the interests of the client and a great capacity and attention to meet the established strategy’.
‘The A&B team is a solid team, very well prepared and with a great capacity to respond to the client. Its solidity and quality of customer service are distinguishing factors, which allow the firm to stand out from other’.
‘They apply technologies to keep track of the issues. They are permanently aware of them and their news. They are always updated at the level of doctrine and jurisprudence, which positively distinguishes them from other firms’.
‘Its lawyers are distinguished by their warmth and excellent predisposition to the needs of the client. In addition, they have a great capacity to find innovative solutions in relation to the questions that are consulted’.
‘They are very respectful and attentive. Among the lawyers in the area, I can highlight David Gurfinkel and associates Diego Paz Saravia, Denisse Hernaez, Daiana Mascheroni and Giuliana Busso’.
‘Knowledge of the company, commitment to the client, honesty, personal values that match those of our company, professional capacity. They stand out in the market over other offices’
Bbva Banco Frances
Caja De Seguros
Chubb & Son
Hbo Ole International Marketing
Minera Del Altiplano- Livent Corporation
Mastercard Cono Sur
- Representing Metlife Group in various class action lawsuits filed by consumer protection associations claiming payment of millionaire indemnifications as a consequence of the terms and conditions set forth between insurance companies and local financial institutions when granting credit life-coverage to financial-institution clients.
- Representing Chubb Argentina de Seguros in a conflict related to the determination of damages arising from the termination of construction and concession agreements with SOCMER.
- Representing and assisting Caja de Seguros in multiple class actions filed by consumers associations and consumers.
Baker McKenzie ‘stands out as one of the best in-country’ in dispute resolution and is particularly recommended for its ‘solid experience in the field, impressive academic credentials and a unique international outlook’. The firm has a ‘track-record in highly complex disputes involving national and international clients before local courts’. Areas of expertise include compliance investigations, international arbitration, and contentious insolvency and bankruptcy issues, as well as providing preventative, pre-litigation reviews. A ‘seasoned dispute lawyer who take a commercial approach to propose result-driven strategies’, practice head Luis Dates is a ‘go-to lawyer for any kind of commercial dispute in Argentina’. Additional depth, particularly as regards administrative litigation comes from public law specialist Santiago Maqueda who made partner in July 2021.
‘Baker McKenzie’s dispute resolution practice in Argentina stands out as one of the best in-country’.
‘The firm has a highly capable team with solid experience in the field, impressive academic credentials and a unique international outlook’.
‘The firm’s track-record in highly complex disputes involving national and international clients before local courts is quite impressive’.
‘The firm’s flexibility and creativity in fee arrangements is unmatched in the market’.
‘The partner Luis Dates leads the team with competence and professionalism. Mr. Dates is very seasoned dispute lawyer who take a commercial approach to propose result-driven strategies. A market leader and the go-to lawyer for any kind of commercial dispute in Argentina.’
Companhia Vale do Rio Doce
Recreation Holdings – Valle Encantado
Tonichi Travel Service
- Representing Twitter in an unprecedented, multimillion-dollar defamation lawsuit, the outcome of which could have profound local and global impact on Twitter and social media platforms more broadly.
- Representing Biogen Argentina against a private medical insurer that seeks a court decision regulating the price of a unique and highly relevant orphan drug.
- Advising Merck’s local subsidiary in a local partner company’s compensation claim, and negotiating the terms and conditions for a new stage in the commercial relationship with said partner.
Martínez de Hoz & Rueda is known for acting in high-stakes and complex disputes, notably matters related to business transactions, multiple parties and contracts, as well as issues with different laws and jurisdictions. The firm’s expertise in international investment and commercial arbitration includes experience under ICC, AAA/ICDR, LCIA, and UNCITRAL rules, especially in relation to complex multi-party, multi-contract proceedings related to energy, construction, financial services, international transport and sports. Arbitration specialist José Martínez de Hoz co-leads the practice with younger partner Francisco Amallo, who focuses on international and domestic commercial arbitration, investment arbitration and international law.
José Martínez de Hoz; Francisco Amallo
- Onging representation of Chevron Corporation in a longstanding suit against Chevron in Argentina seeking the enforcement of an Ecuadorian court award of $9.5bn (an unprecedented amount for Latin America) for alleged environmental damages.
- Representing Chevron Argentina, Capex, Total Austral (Sucursal Argentina), Compañía de Hidrocarburo No Convencional and Petroquímica Comodoro Rivadavia, eac of which filed individual, separate legal actions challenging Federal Decree No. 488/20, enacted in May 2020.
- Acted for Sinopec in an ICC arbitration against the Province of Santa Cruz in relation to an alleged breach by Sinopec of a hydrocarbons concession agreement and threats of its potential termination by the Province.
Mitrani Caballero & Ruiz Moreno Abogados is recommended for its ‘close personal treatment, which allows advice to be even more effective and to focus on avoiding disputes and reducing the possibility that they go to trial’. The firm’s broad industry expertise includes litigating on civil and commercial matters as well as in relation to labour, IP, regulatory issues, insurance and tax, and representing clients in class actions and other consumer-led hearings, and in administrative matters. Horacio Ruiz Moreno is an expert in administrative law, public services regulation, oil and gas, arbitration and mediation. He co-leads the 11-strong team with Cristian Krüger, who focuses on administrative law, public contracting and regulation. Senior figure Rafael González Arzac is also noted, particularly for regulated industry matters; and key associate support comes from senior Matías Galice and intermediate María Mercedes Ferrara.
Horacio Ruiz Moreno; Cristian Krüger
‘Its lawyers are very close, from associates to partners, and always with an excellent disposition to carry out the tasks entrusted to them’.
‘I believe that something main we seek in Argentina is personal trust in the professionals who support us and in this Mitrani fulfills our expectations. This is reinforced by a deep knowledge of our company and a close personal treatment, which allows the advice to be even more effective and to focus mainly on avoiding disputes and reducing to the minimum that they go to trial’.
‘The main partner we work with is Cristian Kruger, who manages the firm’s resources to meet our needs’.
‘Mitrani’s team has an excellent professional in every legal matter. Each project and case is worked with the specialist in the area, who has a very good response capacity’.
‘Teamwork is one of the main characteristics of Mitrani. The ability to respond quickly and the contribution of experience for the rapid resolution of cases.’
High Luck Group Limited
Manufactura de Motores Argentinos
Robert Bosch Argentina Industrial
- Advised Kia Argentina in a class action against consumer association Unión de Usuarios y Consumidores, which -based on municipal law no. 3882/2011- is demanding that vehicles sold by the comany within Buenos Aires’ city limits must include fire extinguishers.
- Acted for High Luck Group in a dispute against the government of the Argentine province of Salta regarding the early termination of its exploration permits for the Tartagal Oriental and Morillo areas in said province.
- Acted for Deutsche Rückversicherung in a dispute against Caja Nacional de Ahorro y Seguro (in liquidation) and the Argentine Federal Government, regarding the recognition and enforcement in Argentina of an international arbitration award issued in New York.
'A firm that stands out for its technical solvency', disputes-focused boutique Naveira Truffat Martínez Abogados (NTMA) specialises in representing private companies and corporations in complex, primarily commercial litigation, particularly in bankruptcy and restructuring cases. The team is co-led by commercial litigation expert Daniel Truffat ('one of the best jurists in Argentina') and Oscar Martínez ('a top-notch professional both technically and commercially'), who focus on advisory, corporate assistance and complex disputes. Another key name is Valentín Tomás Martínez, a younger partner whose 'outstanding technical solvency' and 'extensive commercial knowledge' has made him a client favourite; he handles contentious and non-contentious corporate, bankruptcy and reorganisation proceedings.
Daniel Truffat; Oscar Martínez
‘Our experience with Daniel Truffat and Gustavo Naveira is always excellent. Having recently worked with both of them in a very complex case that involved a corporate conflict that was settled in commercial justice and in an arbitration before ICC, I can confirm that both Daniel and Gustavo have extensive knowledge of commercial and especially corporate law,. The collaboration of the Naveira Truffat firm was very important for the successful completion of the matter and I would not hesitate to turn to them in a similar case. I also worked with them in the Parmalat bankruptcy where their firm worked as an advisor to the bankruptcy receivership and there they also demonstrated their great knowledge of bankruptcy law.‘
‘Daniel Truffat stands out for his knowledge of bankruptcy law, while Gustavo Naveira is an expert in commercial law. Both stand out not only for their knowledge of the law but also for their fine judgment when recommending procedural strategies. Both also stand out for their depth and clarity in the writing of judicial writings.’
‘The collaboration of the firm in all the matters on which we have worked together has been impeccable. Their knowledge of the commercial jurisdiction also stands out since both of them have been judicial officials in the past, which allows them to have a very acute sense of the operation of the different courts.’
‘Daniel Truffat and Valentín Martínez: Daniel is one of the most respected lawyers in Argentina and together with Valentín they make up a highly technical and dynamic team when it comes to customer service and the quality of his work. These are the strengths of the team and what sets them apart from other elite law firms in Argentina.’
‘Daniel Truffat is one of the best commercial lawyers of his generation and is currently an obligatory reference in matters of property, corporate and bankruptcy law. The simple act of listening to him and being represented by him gives us enormous security and confidence in the outcome of our conflicts. It is what in Argentina we call a “registered trademark” – a guarantee of trust and results.’
‘For his part, Valentín Martínez is a young partner in the firm; we highlight his great technical solvency and his agility in answering our questions and carrying out the tasks we entrust him with. Likewise, Valentín also has extensive commercial knowledge of the market in which we operate, a fact that is extremely important for the work to be more efficient. Together with Daniel they make up an elite litigation team in Argentina.‘
‘What differentiates NTMA from other firms we have worked with is the direct dealings with the partners who are in charge of the issue (without delegating this task to a semi senior lawyer) as well as the fact that it has established partners and at the same time has promoted young members. It really is a law firm that definitely does not think only in the short term.’
‘Regarding the legal service, NTMA is characterised by the technical solvency of its partners and associates, by the speed with which they work and, above all, by the 24/7 availability of all the partners with whom we have had the possibility of working.‘
‘Currently, our reference partner is Valentín Martínez. Valentín is a young lawyer with whom we feel extremely comfortable and satisfied because he combines two qualities that I consider fundamental in a great lawyer. On the one hand, he possesses an outstanding technical solvency, a fact that should be valued even more considering his age. On the other hand, we highlight the fact that, due to his great technical solvency, Valentín is characterised by his close dealings with us, which makes us feel understood and valued as if we were his best client.’
‘In short, Valentín has become not only our lawyer, but also the person to whom we turn for any consultation or advice that we require, a fact that definitely transforms him into a professional who stands out in relation to the rest of his competitors.’
‘Regarding collaboration, NTMA is characterised by the personal attention of its partners who always work as a team in order to provide the best possible service. In terms of billing they have always been very transparent and we have never had any inconvenience.’
‘They manage a constant availability and predisposition. They had a great adaptation, management and responses in this time of pandemic.’
‘They provide a very personal, dedicated, professional service of great professionalism. They not only take the case seriously and professionally but also very personally; They have a predisposition to facilitate the process not only on the professional side but also on the personal side of the client, they accompany and help with everything inside and outside the firm advising on a whole.’
‘They have a great combination of young people and a career where they approach the issues both from the experience and professional training of years and from the imprint, strength and modernity of the young.’
‘NTMA is a firm that stands out for its technical solvency and reputation in the market. The matter that we deal with with them must surely be one of the most relevant legal matters in the Argentine market with enormous legal technical complexity.‘
‘The depth with which the NTMA team works on issues and its great technical solvency highlights them above the rest of the legal firms in Argentina.‘
‘Daniel Truffat and Oscar Martínez are a “duo” of lawyers who have worked shoulder to shoulder for many years and who feel very comfortable working as a team so that their virtues stand out even more. Daniel is one of the best jurists in Argentina and Oscar is his ideal complement, since he has great legal ingenuity and extensive commercial knowledge of all the issues he deals with.‘
‘Likewise, it is essential to highlight the work that Valentín Martínez has done for our company. Without prejudice to the support of Daniel and Oscar, it was he who was in charge of initially studying all the files in which our company had interests and later who has been in charge of projecting the totality of the submitted writings. He is probably the one who has the most in-depth knowledge of the entire history of the litigation in which the NTMA team assists us. His contribution is truly invaluable and it is worth highlighting him as one of the best young lawyers in Argentina.’
‘It is also worth highlighting the collaborative work method used in which several partners participate in the design of the strategy and in the preparation of the documents that we must present in the different litigation in which we advise.’
‘NTMA is one of the most prominent law firms in Argentina. In terms of conflict resolution they are really very good. Our company is dedicated to the financial sector, which by definition is very dynamic. We have been working with NTMA for 4 years now and they have really helped us a lot both in the task of ordering our litigious conflicts and in their correct management.’
‘What I highlight about NTMA and that distinguishes it from other law firms with which we have previously worked is its great dynamism and full-time availability to attend to our affairs, as well as its’ mix of established and younger partners. The relationship with NTMA began through a personal bond with Oscar Martínez who I consider a friend. He is truly a top-notch professional both technically and commercially. He is a person who perfectly understands our needs and our business, a fact that he collaborates a lot so that we can work as a team. Likewise, it is worth highlighting the work of Juan Sabia and Felipe Martínez, who attend and manage the day-to-day operations of all the consultations we make and who handle almost all of the litigation that we have in process. They are both truly excellent and they are responsible for ensuring that the relationship with NTMA has grown to the level it is today. Finally, it is also worth mentioning Valentín Martínez with whom we work on more specific issues and he has always responded exceptionally.’
Asociacion Argentina De Futbol
King & Spalding
Crediserv / Fincredit Coop.
Franco Sicialiano Y Renzo Siciliano
- Assisted Inversora Recoleta in one of the most important current trials in the nation’s commercial courts.
- Represented EBI, which was sued by the controller of Banco Crédito Provincial and Banco de la Provincia de Buenos Aires for the deeds of the Palacio Reconquista property.
- Represented AFA in the defence of the preventive damage action brought by FSLA Holding (group company of The Walt Disney Company Latin America and Fox) for the Argentine football television broadcasting rights.
Acting for local and international clients, O'Farrell has litigation and arbitration experience that spans key industries, notably the automotive, health and energy sectors. The firm is also active for a range of start-ups in contentious issues. Alongside its litigation work, the practice has experience in arbitration processes, mediation, negotiation and extrajudicial transactions. Francisco Astolfi leads the team and specialises in class actions, claims for damages, product liability in the automotive industry, defence in industrial patents disputes and contentious contractual matters. However, former co-head of the civil and commercial litigation department Daniel Calatrava left with public law partner Fernando García Pullés to establish their own firm in June 2020. Fortunately, Astolfi can call on a group of highly experienced associates including seniors Federico Daurat (who handles Ford's local litigious portfolio, among other matters) and Dolores Soler (complex litigation and judicial or arbitral proceedings, including class actions); and Juan Matienzo, all of whom have over 20 years' experience.
‘Precision in their advice and high level of the professional seniority. Puntual and on time contact and resolution.‘
Ford Argentina / Ford Motor Company
Compañía de Transporte de Energía Eléctrica en Alta Tensión
Empresa de Transporte de Energía Eléctrica
Nokia (Alcatel Lucent)
Grupo Concesionario del Oeste
Cuore Consumer Research (CCR)
Brown International Corporation
Wells Fargo Advisors
- Represented Compañía de Transporte de Energía Eléctrica en Alta Tensión Transener on a claim for compensation for the alleged illegal use of a patented invention in the installation and use of fibre optic cables as part of the laying of the high-voltage power lines for communication purposes and their commercialisation to third parties.
- Brown International Corporation, as a plaintiff, for the alleged violation of the rights protected by an industrial patent. We initiate lawsuits in different provinces against manufacturers and several companies that acquired machines in violation of industrial property rights.
- Acting for Ford Motor Company in a case in which the company is accused of an alleged link with the former military government and allowing the violation of human rights by facilitating the “forced” disappearance of the claimant’s son during the military regime.
Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen is distinguished by its broad experience in domestic and international litigation and arbitration, particularly in the technology space. The firm also stands out for its work representing international energy companies in investment and commercial arbitration proceedings. Complex litigation specialist Lautaro Ferro co-leads the team with Luis Incera, who focuses on litigation, insolvency, bankruptcy and family law; and Arnaldo Cisilino, who handles civil and commercial litigation, class actions, technology, data protection, freedom of expression and privacy conflicts.
Lautaro Ferro; Luis Incera; Arnaldo Cisilino
‘The firm has a team that knows the client well, its skills being practicality, deepening the analysis of each case, and accompanying the client in making the best decision to defend the case’.
‘The ability to empathise with the client, understand their problems and seek the best solution, weighing the advantages and risks well, stands out in the partners’.
‘The team has a very active participation of its partners, which is extremely important for the client’.
Molinos Rio De La Plata
Old World Industries
Honda Motor De Argentina
Hewlett Packard Argentina
Louis Dreyfus Commodities Argentina
- Ongoing advice and representation of Motorola in all its litigation matters throughout the entire Argentine court system.
- Ongoing advice and representation of Honda Motor de Argentina in all its litigation matters throughout the entire Argentine court system.
- Obtained a precautionary measure before the Supreme Court of the province of Buenos Aires on behalf of Quimica True, requiring that the municipality of Esteban Echeverría refrain from issuing enforcement acts regarding Orndinance 9264/19 or authorising material actions related to the plot of land to which said ordinance refers.
Salaverri, Burgio & Wetzler Malbran
Acting for Argentine corporates and foreign entities, Salaverri, Burgio & Wetzler Malbran handles a broad spectrum of dispute resolution matters, involving litigation at all levels of the court system (including the Supreme Court), and domestic and international arbitration. The team also has expertise in judicial and arbitral cases involving public law issues. Founding partners Damián Burgio and Germán Wetzler Malbrán lead the team and specialise in litigation, commercial arbitration and commercial law advice. Administrative law and economic regulation specialist Santiago Garcia Mira also has deep experience in contentious regulated matters. Senior associate Matías Rivera undertakes commercial litigation and arbitration as well as general commercial advisory.
Damián Burgio; Germán Wetzler Malbrán
‘Coordination and efficiency in the work undertaken; high capacity in the topics addressed and constant dedication to each part of the defence strategy.‘
Orígenes Seguros de Retiro
SACDE Sociedad Argentina de Construcción y Desarrollo Estratégico
Orígenes Seguros de Vida
Invertir en Bolsa
- Representing Pampa Energía, as claimant, in a case brought against Petrominera Chubut, a company owned and controlled by the Province of Chubut, which owes part of the price of private equity stock.
- Acted for Metrogas in judicial procedures related to the rescission of a gas transportation agreement executed by and between Metrogas and Transportadora de Gas del Norte, as a consequence of TGN’s breach of contract.
- Acted for Edenor in a case against real estate developer, Ribera Desarrollos, which defaulted on its obligation to construct an office building and deliver the units that would have been Edenor’s main headquarters.
The small but dedicated disputes practice of Tavarone, Rovelli, Salim & Miani specialises in financial, energy and contract matters, with particular experience in arbitration resulting from breach of contracts and disputes arising from bankruptcy and restructuring. The firm also handles exequatur proceedings, in which the recognition and enforcement of international sentences is sought before Argentine courts. With over 20 years' experience, Mariano Rovelli focuses on commercial and civil litigation proceedings, arbitration proceedings and shareholders litigation. He co-leads the team with Eugenia Pracchia, whose practice covers commercial litigation and administrative proceedings, as well as preventative work and the provision of regulatory advice. Key associate support comes from senior associates Juan Pedro Pascucci (who returned to the firm in July 2020 after time spent as International Law Clerk) and Santiago Nieto, both of whom primarily focus on commercial litigation.
Mariano Rovelli; Eugenia Pracchia
AON Risk Services
BACS Banco de Crédito y Securitización
Chañares Herrados / Medanito
HSBC Global Asset Management Argentina
Powerchina Sucursal Argentina
Termoeléctrica José de San Martín
Termoeléctrica Manuel Belgrano
- Counsel to Chañares Herrado before the National Supreme Court, a Provincial Supreme Court and in a $30m arbitraton case concerning the breach of a hydrocarbons exploration and exploitation concession.
- Advice and represents to major local financial entities (and many other companies) in class action cases filed against them; involving analysis and interpretation of a diversity of banking and credit issues (credit life insurance, interests, and fees, among others) from the consumer-law standpoint.
- Advising several banks and companies on general administrative proceedings filed with the national and local authorities (such as the Executive Branch, the Central Bank, the National Securities Commission and the anti-money laundering unit), as well as criminal foreign exchange claims to be ruled on by the Federal Courts.
Abeledo Gottheil Abogados
Abeledo Gottheil Abogados leverages its strength in oil-and-gas matters to focus on advising energy clients on contentious issues. The group is particularly well known for its arbitration expertise, with energy and natural resources specialist Luis Erize a key name in this regard. Sergio Porteiro and Hernán Oriolo are also well versed in litigation and arbitration cases.
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro is ‘constantly busy getting to know its client, this makes the work more productive and more personalised, facilitating teamwork and achieving very good legal defences’. As well as ‘huge knowledge of the finance and construction industries’ the practice handles disputes related to technology, commercial contracts, energy and debt restructuring. Areas of expertise include negotiations, dispute resolution clauses, precautionary judicial measures, judicial proceedings and arbitration, representing domestic and international clients. Practice head Juan Pablo De Luca handles litigation in commercial judicial proceedings and investment and commercial arbitrations. However, associate Marcos Palma left for Marval O’Farrell Mairal in July 2021.
Juan Pablo De Luca
‘The team led by Juan Pablo De Luca works in an orderly manner with each other and with its clients. They respond quickly and courteously. At the same time, their analysis is deep and innovative, with a creative and decisive look at the issues’.
‘I highlight the ability to listen and the acuity to warn of contingencies and critical variables with an impact on the business. Each of its members is clear about the agreed objective and works in a coordinated way to achieve it’.
‘The team is attentive to the needs of its clients. It developed a platform that its clients can access remotely, to follow the news of their cases in real time’.
‘Juan Pablo De Luca combines creativity and agility in his solutions, with a deep knowledge of procedural and commercial issues. He engages with his clients and knows their businesses. His negotiation skills are outstanding. He looks for a way to make things happen, with a professional, flexible and tailor-made approach for each situation.’
‘The partners are aware of the case and very involved in the strategy. Huge knowledge of the finance and construction industry’.
‘Very detailed knowledge of the business and the dynamics of their clients’ work. Very good management of technology and adapting to remote work to be more efficient. They have a very strong business vision and undertake taking risks’.
‘The difference that this firm makes at this point is that they are constantly busy getting to know the client, this makes the work more productive and more specific, facilitating teamwork and achieving very good legal defenses’.
Beretta Godoy participates in arbitral proceedings, alternative dispute resolutions and litigates at all judicial and administrative levels, including the Federal Supreme Court of Justice. The firm has particular expertise representing international investors -notably those from the energy sector- in disputes with the Argentine Republic and Argentine companies in connection with their investments in other countries, as well as in commercial and natural resources cases. Founding partner Federico Godoy specialises in arbitration and co-leads the team with Juan Sonoda, who focuses on energy and natural resources, foreign investment, international business transactions and dispute resolution.
Federico Godoy; Juan Sonoda
República Federativa del Brasil
Perfect Vision Manufacturing
Compañía Minera Solitario
Litio Minera Argentina
Minera Agua Rica
Proyectos Pastos Grandes
Brons & Salas
The pre-litigation, arbitration and litigation practice of Brons & Salas is distinguished by its ability to draw from the firm’s strengths in a range of disciplines, principally environmental, corporate, commercial, tax, customs, energy and construction, as well as niche expertise in wine-industry disputes. Civil and commercial litigation expert Pablo Brusco co-leads the team with arbitration specialist Joaquin Vallebella and Sebastian Alvarez, who focuses on public law and administrative litigation.
Pablo Brusco; Joaquin Vallebella; Sebastian Alvarez
‘Brons & Salas has always acted thinking like a partner of our firm’.
‘Joaquin Vallebella has extensive knowledge of all branches of law, which makes his analysis particularly valuable.’
‘Personalised attention. High expertise.’
‘They have been able to resolve the management of affairs and care very well in the time of the Covid pandemic.’
‘Closeness with the client. Attention tailor made.’
General Motors Argentina
Compañía Administradora del Mercado Eléctrico Mayorista
Mercedes Benz Argentina
- Advising CAMMESA on various renewable energy arbitrations initiated by power generators.
- Successfully represented Grupo Peñaflor before the arbitral tribunal of the Buenos Aires stock exchange in a matter related to the lawful termination of an agency agreement.
Bulló Abogados has experience in a range of disputes, particularly in the insurance sector, the firm's core practice, where the team acts for insurers and reinsurers on a full range of cases including product liability and medical malpractice matters. Class action defence and consumer cases are also areas of expertise. Gastón Gómez Buquerín, Diego Alonso and Gustavo Torassa are key names in the team.
CDC Capparelli, D‘Angelo & Caputo Abogados
Established in its current form in May 2020, CDC Capparelli, D‘Angelo & Caputo Abogados is a commercial-disputes boutique that fields an experienced team of litigation and arbitration specialists with industry expertise that includes power, hydrocarbons and construction. The team also handles domestic and international arbitration, and is already increasingly active in pre-litigation and dispute prevention work. The practice brings together former Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi partner Leandro Caputo, who has particular expertise in commercial litigation and arbitration; and long-serving Baker McKenzie partner and litigation lead, Santiago Capparelli, who undertakes a range of domestic and international disputes. Florencia D’Angelo, in turn, focuses on civil, commercial and environmental matters - judicial or arbitral; along with out-of-Court procedures (negotiations, consumer’s claims, mediations and associated legal counselling); she also has particular expertise in pharmaceutical-sector litigation.
Leandro Caputo; Santiago Capparelli; Florencia A. D´Angelo
‘It is a specialised boutique firm that has demonstrated experience in the matters in which we have worked together, which sometimes involved international law issues’.
‘Undoubtedly it is a plus that our contact and permanent link is with the partners, in our case with Santiago Capparelli and Florencia D´Angelo. They have always been available when we have needed their contact, and the advice received evidenced a solid legal knowledge, without losing a practical and attentive approach to the commercial scenario’.
‘Santiago Capparelli is an experienced lawyer with a solid track record, with good handling of negotiation strategies and conflict resolution’.
‘Florencia D´Angelo is an excellent lawyer, with a great capacity for persuasion and negotiation, always supported by a deep legal knowledge’.
‘Without a doubt a great professional team’.
‘Extensive knowledge in international commercial issues providing satisfactory answers in tandem’.
‘Depth and conceptual clarity in international business issues’
‘Quickness and spontaneity in providing us with the answers’.
Pan American Energy
FS Print & Projects
- Advice to Pan American Energy (Argentine branch) in ICC arbitration and in pre-arbitral conflict.
- Advising Geodrill in pre-arbitral conflict against EPC constructor Duro Felguera Argentina related to the construction of two power generation plants in Argentina.
Specialising in consumer class action and breaches of contract cases, Cerolini & Ferrari Abogados also provides experience in preventative measures and alternative dispute resolution. The practice is singled out for its ‘unique combination of the quality of service of a large firm with the versatility and flexibility provided by the direct involvement of the partners in the day-to-day of the case’. Matías Ferrari leads the team and focuses on advice to banks and companies in civil and commercial lawsuits, contractual disputes and class actions. Key associate support comes from seniors Agustina Fruet, who specializes in procedural law; and 2020-hire (from Nicholson y Cano Abogados) Josefina Dantur (civil and commercial litigation).
‘The team led by Matias Ferrari has a lot of experience and solidity when it comes to litigating before Argentine courts. The team lives up to any other top ranked firm, but with a boutique studio approach’.
‘Since its inception, the firm has been an innovator in terms of technology and in relation to its employees’.
‘They get involved in issues, propose alternative solutions, are flexible. Special mention to Josefina Dantur’.
‘What makes this practice unique is the combination of the quality of service of a large study with the versatility and flexibility provided by the direct involvement of the partners in the day-to-day of the case’.
‘The speed in defining the strategy and its implementation is a clear advantage over other more bureaucratic firms when it comes to definitions’.
‘It is an agile team, focused and oriented to satisfy the client’s needs. The partners are on top of the issues. They are very neat and transparent in dealing with the client. They work efficiently’.
‘Matías Ferrari is an expert in the field, he clearly transmits the messages and analyzes together with the client the risks and opportunities of each strategy’.
American Express Argentina
Procesadora Ganadera Entrerriana
- Ongoing advice and representation of Biosidus regarding contentious commerical matters, particularly in litigation related to export contracts and the execution of unpaid invoices, (addressing the conflicts both in both their pre-judicial and judicial stages), and administrative procedures.
- Ongoing advice and representation of AMEX, the local branch of American Express, in commercial and consumer law disputes in both pre-judicial and judicial stages.
- Ongoing representation of e-commerce platform Mercado Libre in the judicial stages of commercial and consumer law disputes.
Hope, Duggan & Silva
The long-established Hope, Duggan & Silva's litigation and arbitration practice covers hospitality, agriculture, media, services and cosmetics, but the firm is best known for its strength representing banking and finance clients. Key areas of work include shareholder disputes, arbitration proceedings, commercial claims and contentious bankruptcy matters. Hugo Vivot leads the team and has experience acting as a mediator. Also notable in the practice are senior partner Juan Duggan and the experienced Gustavo Vayo.
JP Morgan Chase Bank National Association
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
BBVA Banco Frances
Buongiorno My Alert
Pyxus International/Alliance One International
Sikeston/Vr Capital Group
Xylem Water Solutions Argentina
International Container Terminal Services
- Representing JP Morgan Finance in an array of civil actions in connection with the Banco General de Negocios’ liquidation proceedings.
- Representing Travelport Argentina -a wholly owned subsidiary of major global distribution system Travelport- in a claim filed by the Argentine Tax Authority against Travelport Argentina attempting to collect Argentine turnover tax which was allegedly omitted by the company.
- Advice and representation of Xylem Water Solutions Argentina on all its contentious matters, including disputes with national, provincial and local governmental agencies, its distributors and employees.
Nicholson y Cano Abogados draws from broad expertise within the firm to advise on a range of civil and commercial litigation, administrative proceedings and alternative dispute resolution, particularly corporate, antitrust and insurance litigation. The practice also acts in the enforcement of foreign judgments and awards in Argentina, as well as contentious bankruptcy and creditors’ rights issues, including the recovery of debts. The team is co-led by Luis Bullrich, Juan Santiago Mollard, Juan Manuel Sampietro and Gonzalo Esses.
Luis Bullrich; Juan Santiago Mollard; Juan Manuel Sampietro; Gonzalo Esses
British American Tobacco Argentina
Cerveceria Y Malteria
- Represented Whirlpool Argentina in arbitral proceedings at the Arbitration Tribunal of the Buenos Aires Stock Exchange.
- Litigation portfolio claims management on behalf of multiple clients; according to specific client instructions and their intentions to reduce contingencies and pending claims, the team negotiates and finalizes those claims, conciliating or celebrating agreements monthly.
Noetinger & Armando
The Noetinger & Armando practice has ‘outstanding technical solvency, unbeatable management times and great knowledge of business’. The firm stands out for its technical expertise and innovation, recommended by clients as a ‘100% tech firm’ with ‘great digital transformation’. Key specialisms include consumer law and dispute resolution related to finance and banking, credit card services, fintech, aviation and retail. Industrial and intellectual property law expert Miguel Armando co-leads the team with Juan Pringles, who is head of the firm’s consumer-rights litigation and class-actions group.
Miguel Armando; Juan Pringles
‘It is a team of excellent lawyers and above all very responsible with the assigned task’.
‘N&A has an efficient, orderly and disciplined team that allows managing all claims in a timely manner, not only ensuring compliance with legal and administrative requirements in each case, but also being practical and decisive, significantly facilitating the task of the company inhouse team’.
‘Strategic decisions in relation to the position to adopt in litigation are taken with a partner in the firm, but the day-to-day cases are carried out in an orderly manner with each professional in charge of each case’.
‘With a reduced legal team, it is essential to have a firm such as N&A that leads and takes responsibility for the detailed follow-up of each case’.
‘Juan Pringles is available at all times and always provides practical and efficient advice. I consider him a partner of the company for strategic decision-making in litigation matters’
‘Outstanding technical solvency, unbeatable management times and great knowledge of business’.
‘A 100% tech firm’ with ‘great digital transformation’.
Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires
Galicia Administradora de Fondos
Prisma Medios de Pago
Boton de Pago
FB Lineas Aéreas
Tarjeta del Mar
- Advised Compañía Financiera Argentina in complex, $3.3m class action claim, which was finally rejected in ite entirety by the court.
- Advised FB Líneas Aéreas in the structuring of a settlement that put an end to a complex class action involveing the cancellation of airline tickets caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Banco de Galicia y Buenos Aires in a large and complex class action which was totally rejected in first instance.
Wiener Soto Caparrós
Cross-border litigation specialists Wiener Soto Caparrós provides attorneys qualified in Argentina, Brazil, France, Spain and the US, as well as expertise in international arbitration, business torts, contentious IP, distribution disputes and defence of consumer lawsuits. Tax litigation with the Government and antitrust cases are also strengths for the firm, while in the employment arena the practice has a track record for acting in collective bargaining disputes. Gonzalo Soto‘s expertise in dispute resolution centres on business and employment law matters.
Coca-Cola Andina Argentina
Helmerich & Payne (Argentina) Drilling
McCain Argentina and McCain Foods
Giumarra International Berry
Regus Management de Argentina
Pronokal Health Group
- Representing the local subsidiary of Helmerich & Payne Drilling in a lawsuit against a lodging services provider and an insurance company.
- Advising H&P in a contractual dispute with Argentine hydrocarbons major, YPF.
- Advising Pronokal Health Group regarding internal conflicts in its Argentine subsidiary.
Estudio Ymaz Abogados
Specialising in infrastructure projects in the public sector, Estudio Ymaz Abogados' disputes team stand out for its public construction-sector work and cases against the National Administration of Roads involving clients’ financial damages. Other areas of expertise are contractual disputes in the public concessions field and counselling road concessionaires on issues arising from the liquidation of construction contracts. Expert in both litigation and corporate law, Martín Ymaz Videla heads the practice.
Martín Ymaz Videla
‘The Ymaz Study team is very solid, it has ample technical knowledge that is complemented by vast experience in the cases they handle. They also provide a preliminary and complementary analysis of alternatives and perspectives that is very useful to define the course of action in relation to a conflict’.
‘The relationship with Estudio Ymaz, especially with the partners and associates, is very particular and they are very realistic with respect to the possibilities of the clients, with respect to rates and billing. They handle technology adequately and have been incorporating variables well so as to continue working during the covid 19 pandemic – they’ve had an electronic signature for years, and virtual meetings. They show a lot of availability to adapt to the needs of the clients’.
‘I would like to highlight Martin Ymaz, from the litigation department, for his experience and the quality of his interventions.’
Lemiro Pablo Pietroboni
Correo Oficial de la República Argentina
Constructora Dos Arroyos
Codi – Conevial Unión Transitoria
Sacde (fomerly Iecsa)
Cruz del Sur
CCA Green 2
- Represented Constructora Dos Arroyos in a judicial review of the National Administration of Roads’ refusal to recognise interest on the delay in the payment of certificates of work, and providing ongoing assistance with an amendment to the payment settlement.
- Acting as counsel to Cincovial in a dispute against the grantor State of a concession concerning Cincovial’s liability to carry out improvements to works not foreseen, quoted or approved by the grantor State.
- Advising Corredor Central on the applicability of Santa Fe’s Stamp Tax to extensions of the National Road Concession Contract, issuing a declarative action with a precautionary measure exempting the client from the tax payment.