Energy in Algeria
CMS has considerable experience providing day-to-day assistance to domestic and international clients in this sphere. Led by Samir Sayah, the team has expertise advising on asset sales, contracts, licences, tax, foreign exchange regulations, due diligence, and negotiations with public and private entities. Amine Sator is also noted.
Samir Sayah; Amine Sator
The team at Gide Loyrette Nouel is a popular choice for headline transactions in energy and natural resources in Algeria. It works on a range of matters for mostly international corporations in this area, especially in the oil and gas sector. The firm is most notably advising Total on a $1.5bn joint venture with Algerian state-owned oil and gas company, Sonatrach. Samy Laghouati is the key contact.
Applus Oil & Gas service company
- Advising Total on its plan to acquire, from Occidental Petroleum, the Algerian upstream assets of US-based oil and gas company, Anadarko.
- Assisting Total with the establishment of a $1.5bn joint venture with Algerian state-owned oil and gas company, Sonatrach.
- Advising Air Liquide on the establishment of a joint venture which is 51%t owned by the Algerian party, and 49% owned by Air Liquide.
The team at Bennani & Associés LLP advises a range of international and domestic oil and gas clients on their partnerships with Sonatrach, Algeria’s state-owned oil and gas company. The practice, led by Mourad Seghir, focuses on regulatory advice, commercial advice, M&A transactions and joint ventures.
Cairn Energy plc
National Oilwell Varco
Petroleum Geo-Services (PGS)
- Advised Cairn Energy PLC on a proposed acquisition of Edison E&P S.p.A for a value of $850m.
- Advised National Oilwell Varco on a consortium with Sonatrach.
- Assisted Stream Flo with the incorporation of three joint ventures in the field of drilling equipment and services for Sonatrach and other major multinationals.
Led by the experienced Foued Bourabiat, Bourabiat Associés assists international oil and gas companies with a broad range of matters, including advice on banking and finance and M&A transactions. It also has a track record of advising on regulatory, environmental and competition law.
Groupe Ponroy Santé
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Myah Bahr Honaine/Aguas de Skikda (Abengoa)
Procter & Gamble
The Carlyle Group, CVC Capital Partners and the China Investment Corporation
- Preparing and filing notification for merger clearance before the Algerian competition authority for Linde AG on its merger with Praxair Inc.
- Advising Air Products, a US-listed global industrial gas company, on two gas production and delivery agreements entered into with Sonatrach.
LPA-CGR handles the transactional and regulatory aspects of energy-related matters, with a focus on M&A work with energy companies. Rym Loucif has expertise in the oil and gas sector in particular, with experience advising on financing, EPC contracts, disputes, and gas selling agreements, among other areas. The firm is also active in the emerging renewables market.
Rym Loucif; Alain Gauvin
Thompson & Knight LLP
Thompson & Knight LLP primarily receives instructions from international oil and gas companies, working on a broad range of matters: oil and gas exploration and development, investment, acquisitions and divestments, trades and mergers, privatisations, tax planning and dispute resolution. Hassan Yassine is the key name.