The Legal 500

Twitter Logo Youtube Circle Icon LinkedIn Icon

McCullough Robertson

Work +61 7 3233 8888
Fax +61 7 3229 9949

Jim Peterson

Work +61 7 3233 8559
McCullough Robertson

Work Department

Corporate Advisory




Jim is one of Queensland’s leading corporate lawyers and has extensive experience in resources, mining and corporate governance.  Over the past 25 years Jim has advised many public and private sector entities, including blue chip companies, as well as many leading private clients.

Jim is well known for his work with the finance sector on financial services reform and is a trusted adviser to the resources sector, particularly the coal industry.

His expertise includes:

  • mergers and acquisitions (both regulated and unregulated)
  • corporate structuring
  • joint ventures
  • private equity
  • equity capital markets
  • corporate governance, and
  • director’s duties, related part transactions, and compliance with various complicated provisions of the Corporations Act and ASX Listing Rules.
Jim applies insight and creativity to deliver strategic objectives.


Queensland Law Society


Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – University of Queensland
Bachelor of Commerce – University of Queensland


Capital markets

Within: Capital markets

McCullough Robertson handles ECM transactions with notable expertise in primary and secondary raisings in the small to mid-cap sector, particularly in the resources, industrial, life sciences, travel, technology and start-up fields. The primarily Brisbane-based group includes Derek Pocock, Reece Walker, Jim Peterson and Diana Lohrisch with group head Adrian Smith and Ben Mortimer practising out of the firm's Sydney office. Walker recently led advice to Wagners on its ASX listing and related restructuring, Pocock acted for State Gas on its IPO, and also assisted Megaport with its A$28m private placement and institutional placement to aid with the expansion of the group's international platform. Metro Mining, Oventus Medical and KGL Resources are also clients.

[back to top]

Corporate and M&A

Within: Corporate and M&A

McCullough Robertson’s practice, headed by Damien Clarke, maintains its strong presence in Queensland but has significantly sharpened the profile of its Sydney offering, where Adrian Smith increasingly attracts cross-border work, frequently referred form overseas firms. In a recent cross-border matter Smith advised the majority shareholders on the sale of Krispy Kreme Australia and New Zealand to its US licensor, Krispy Kreme Doughnut. The Sydney team has been further bolstered by now-defunct firm Henry Davis York’s former practice co-head Ben Mortimer and his team. Advising small to mid-cap public and private transactions in the resources, technology, media and agribusiness sectors are the team’s strengths, but the 14-partner practice increasingly acts for financial services clients. In a recent example, Mortimer assisted Westpac with its further investment in fintech mortgage broking company Uno Home Loans. Reece Walker and Jim Peterson advised Viralytics on its acquisition by Merck & Co, a transaction that represents the greatest sum ever offered for a local drug developer in the history of Australian biotech.

[back to top]

Natural resources (transactions and regulatory)

Within: Natural resources (transactions and regulatory)

McCullough Robertson has a strong track record of coal-sector work, but increasingly attracts base metal matters and is one of the few firms advising on uranium mining issues. Practice head Damien Clarke assisted Malabar Coal with its acquisition of Anglo American’s 88.17% interest in the Drayton thermal coal mine and Drayton South project as well as the acquisition of the remaining 11.83% interest from minority shareholders. Louise Horrocks assisted Bounty Mining with the purchase of the Cook Colliery coal mine and mining assets from the liquidator, involving secured creditors issues. Whitehaven Coal instructed the team on its purchase of the remaining 30% stake in its Boggabri mine in New South Wales. The 22-partner practice also includes Jim Peterson, Derek Pocock and John Kettle, and can draw on the firm’s strong workplace health and safety (WHS) and dispute resolution capabilities in the sector.

[back to top]

Back to index

Legal Developments worldwide

Legal Developments and updates from the leading lawyers in each jurisdiction. To contribute, send an email request to