Bennett Jones LLP > Calgary, Canada > Firm Profile
Bennett Jones LLP Offices
4500 BANKERS HALL EAST
855 2ND STREET SW
CALGARY, ALBERTA T2P 4K7
Bennett Jones LLP > The Legal 500 Rankings
Canada > Cannabis Tier 1The sizeable team at Bennett Jones LLP advises all players within the cannabis value chain, such as operators and investors. In addition, the team is well-equipped to advise underwriters and entities in adjoining industries such as consumer goods and often oversees cross-border matters in cannabis related M&A, licences, commercial agreements and corporate finances. Aaron Sonshine is the go-to contact for corporate and securities law issues while Dominique Hussey is well regarded for her IP litigation expertise; they jointly lead the practice which was recently bolstered by the promotion of Melissa Dimilta to partner in March 2021, and the arrival of Kim Lawton from Dentons. Dimilta is often sought by clients to oversee the advertisement, labelling and packaging of cannabis.Bennett Jones LLP‘s breadth and depth of experience in the oil and gas sphere. Equally adept at transactional and regulatory matters, the group enjoys close links with both private and public sector clients involved in the full range of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas projects. The firm’s deep bench is led nationally by Shawn Munro, who has a focus on the regulatory and environmental aspects of oil and gas matters, and Vivek Warrier, who specializes in energy transactions. Warrier recently advised Heritage Royalty on the C$728m sale of certain Western Canadian royalty assets to PrairieSky Royalty. Among the other senior names to note, Calgary managing partner Patrick Maguire is recognized for his expertise in commercial transactions, while Brad Gilmour , Loyola Keough and Lawrence Smith KC are seasoned regulatory counsel. Luke Morrison is a thriving up-and-coming transactional specialist. Donald Greenfield recently retired. All named lawyers are based in Calgary.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Heritage Royalty on its C$728m sale of certain Western Canadian royalty assets, including 1.9 million acres of royalty lands throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, to PrairieSky Royalty.
- Acted for Canadian Natural Resources Limited, on its own and through a subsidiary, on its multimillion-dollar acquisition of Petronas Sasol Montney Partnership, from Petronas Energy Canada Ltd and Sasol Investment Company (Pty) Ltd.
- Advised SECURE Energy Services on its C$2.3bn acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Tervita.
Canada > Environment Tier 1The full-service practice at Bennett Jones LLP typically advises clients within the energy, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. The team is particularly noted for its breadth of knowledge in the import and export of dangerous goods and hazardous materials. Clients also benefit from the practices’ national presence which enables the team to oversee far-reaching environmental-related matters such as project development, M&A, insolvencies and financing transactions. The team is also well-equipped to oversee environmental regulatory compliance, environmental impact assessments and environmental law enforcement under both federal and provincial laws and is led by Leonard Griffiths, Radha Curpen and Brad Gilmour. Griffiths often advises on environmental management systems, Curpen is noted for her vast expertise on the handling of hazardous materials, while Gilmour’s focus lies within litigation, having represented clients before the Provincial Court of Alberta. Sarah Gilbert is the practices’ go-to name for all environmental and health and safety matters.
Transport > Aviation Tier 1The long-standing practice at Bennett Jones LLP is well-equipped to advise clients on both contentious and non-contentious matters. The team often advises Canadian airlines and service providers on financing and leasing matters, the purchase and sale of aircraft and debt restructuring matters. In addition, infrastructure consortiums often rely on the team for its fuel facilities and project development expertise. The handling of long-term technical-logistical contract issues arising from engine and retable parts programs also forms part of the team’s core strengths, while contentious expertise includes cases concerning maintenance standards and aircraft crashes. Patrick Brennan leads the practice from the Calgary office and his practice focus lies within aircraft acquisition, dispositions and financings. Noriko Shimura is a key contact for aircraft leasing and financing transactions.
Canada > Corporate and M&A Tier 2Bennett Jones LLP is a six-office firm with teams in Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa and New York; its team excels in both M&A and private equity deals, including contested transactions, and is bolstered by the firm’s wider proficiency in restructuring, insolvency, antitrust and competition. In Calgary, Patrick Maguire KC is a leading name for energy-related deals meanwhile Perry Spitznagel KC has forged an enviable reputation for mergers and financings throughout Canada and the wider North American region; the pair are also based alongside John Mercury who leads the private equity practice and is particularly active within the energy, financial services, consumer products and manufacturing sectors. At the more junior end of the partnership spectrum, Toronto-based Kristopher Hanc is acclaimed for his knowledge of proxy contests, public offering and private placements with Christian Gauthier, a Vancouver lawyer, is extensively well-versed in LBOs, MBOs and IPOs, in addition to corporate governance and securities law. Curtis Cusinato, a market veteran of over 25 years, serves as vice chair in Toronto and is well-versed in a number of deal types, including SPACs and PIPES.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Noront Resources on its C$617m acquisition by Wyloo Metals.
- Represented SPAC, Osisko Green Acquisition on its C$250m IPO.
- Advised i-80 Gold on its transaction with Nevada Gold Mines to acquire the Lone Tree and Buffalo Mountain gold deposits and certain processing infrastructure, including an autoclave.
- Represented ATCO Energy Solutions in its joint venture with Future Fuel for the Hairy Hill Renewable Natural Gas Project.
- Advised ATCO Electric on its application to the Alberta Utilities Commission requesting approval of its transmission general tariff application for 2020-2022.
- Acted for Atlantica Sustainable Infrastructure on its purchase of the Calgary District Energy Centre facility from ENMAX Corporation.
- Advising ATCO Electric in connection with the development of the Kivalliq Hydro-Fibre Link Project.
- Advising Woodfibre LNG, on an ad-hoc basis, with matters related to the engineering, procurement and construction of facilities for the Woodfibre LNG Project.
- Advising Cedar LNG Partners LP on the development of the Cedar LNG export project in Kitimat British Columbia, which the Haisla Nation is developing in collaboration with other energy industry investors.
Canada > International trade Tier 2With a well-established record in the international trade arena, Bennett Jones LLP possesses extensive experience across an array of customs trade compliance matters, trade remedies, investment treaty-related issues and economic sanctions and export controls. Group head Darrel Pearson is a 40-year trade veteran and retains a thriving practice; he is acting alongside up-and-coming partner George Reid to represent Hyundai Electric & Energy Systems in administrative and judicial reviews related to special tariffs imposed on importations of large power transformers from the Republic of Korea. Other recommended names include Sabrina Bandali, who handled several complex disputes over the past year, senior counsel Valerie Hughes and Jessica Horwitz.
- Represented Michaels of Canada ULC in respect of the customs valuation of goods imported into Canada and related judicial review before the Federal Court of Canada.
- Advised the Retail Council of Canada, and under its umbrella its membership of thousands of Canadian retailers, in litigation defending against allegations of injurious dumping of upholstered domestic seating.
- Advised Kissner Group on treaty and customs law matters in connection with a proposed expansion of an underwater salt mine that would straddle the Canada/US border.
Canada > Real estate Tier 2Bennett Jones LLP’s team is geared to handle matters of national and international significance, including cross-border mandates and sizeable portfolio deals, and is also well-versed in developments, transactions, leasing and financings, in addition to the real estate aspects of M&A. The group is co-led nationally by Jane Helmstadter , Ron Barron, Robert Bothwell and Larry Sandrin, a specialist in government approval processes for major development and infrastructure projects. Simon Crawford is among the standout names within the Ontario market and is often active at retail, sports, entertainment and residential sites, as is Paul Mantini who leverages a track record of having handled the development and financing components at some of Canada’s most iconic sites. John van Gent provides the group with formidable financing and work-out transaction capabilities, including syndicated and secured lending, meanwhile, Calgary-based Alixe Cameron delivers distinct expertise in condominium, industrial and farm assets.
Canada > Tax Tier 2Among Bennett Jones LLP‘s key attributes, the tax team demonstrates strength in cross-border transactions and energy and natural resources-related work. In terms of the former, it is distinguished by its ability to team up with its New York office to advise on multi-jurisdictional matters. Names to note include Calgary-based partner Darcy Moch, who is sought after for his extensive transactional tax experience, with notable expertise in M&A, corporate reorganizations and cross-border financings. On the contentious side, the group draws on the experience of tax litigation head Edwin Kroft KC, who splits his time between Vancouver and Toronto, and Calgary-based Jehad Haymour. The national group is led jointly by Toronto-based Thomas Bauer, whose practice takes in both contentious and non-contentious tax, and Calgary-based tax planning specialist Anu Nijhawan.
- Acting for Canadian Pacific Railway on its landmark cash and stock cross-border combination with Kansas City Southern to create the first single-line rail network linking the US, Mexico and Canada.
- Acting as Canadian counsel to Stone Canyon Industries Holdings LLC and Kissner Group Holdings in their $3.2bn agreement to acquire K+S Aktiengesellschaft’s North and South American salt business.
- Acting for SECURE Energy Services on its business combination with Tervita Corporation.
Other key lawyers:
Michael Eizenga; Robert Staley; Jeffrey Leon; Cheryl Woodin
Canada > Banking and finance Tier 3Bennett Jones LLP is recognized for its strength in infrastructure, and energy and natural resources-related financings, acting for both borrowers and lenders. It also shines in representing alternative lenders, including private equity clients and hedge fund debt investors. In a recent highlight, Toronto-based Mark Rasile advised the lead arrangers and syndicate on the amendment and restatement of Cameco Corp’s C$1bn syndicated revolving credit facility. Toronto’s Steve Lutz co-heads the national practice alongside Calgary-based aviation finance expert Patrick Brennan. The group also includes the increasingly prominent Karen Dawson in Calgary, while regulatory specialist John Teolis and cannabis sector specialist David Rotchtin are noted in Toronto.
- Advised Canadian Pacific Railway on its cross-border merger with Kansas City Southern, including advising on a $500m term loan facility with Bank of Montreal, as administrative agent.
- Acted as Canadian counsel to TMV Corp in connection with substantial amendments to an existing credit agreement, and an increasing commitment agreement under New York law-governed credit documents, for Tenaska and certain of its subsidiaries.
- Advised SECURE Energy Services on its combination with Tervita Corporation, which included a new negotiated C$800m syndicated credit agreement for the combined entity.
Canada > Capital markets Tier 3Bennett Jones LLP’s robust issuer-focused practice continues to shine in energy and natural resources-related matters, while also building its profile in the infrastructure, technology and cannabis spheres. In a key example of its industry sweet spot, Calgary-based department co-head John Piasta advised Gibson Energy on filing a final short form base shelf prospectus with the securities regulators in each province of Canada to renew its C$3bn base shelf prospectus. Toronto-based Kristopher Hanc co-heads a group that also includes trading and derivatives lead Mark Powell, corporate co-head Brent Kraus and Harinder Basra, who has a focus on the upstream oil and gas segment; all three partners are in Calgary.
- Acted for Canadian Pacific Railway Company on its new debt offering of C$2.2bn in Canada and $6.7bn in the US, to fund the cash consideration of Canadian Pacific Railway’s cross-border merger with Kansas City Southern.
- Advised Gibson Energy on filing a final short form base shelf prospectus with the securities regulators in each province of Canada to renew Gibson’s C$3bn base shelf prospectus.
- Advised Osisko Green Acquisition, a SPAC, on its C$250m IPO.
Canada > Indigenous law Tier 3Bennett Jones LLP handles a broad scope of Indigenous related matters, with particular focus on the accommodation of communities’ interests concerning development projects, transactions and commercial agreements. The team is also skilled in advising communities on governance and Aboriginal rights-related matters. Sharon Singh and David Bursey are based in Vancouver, while Deirdre Sheehan is in Calgary, the trio jointly co-head the practice. Radha Curpen is another key contact.
Alberta Forest Products Association/Alberta Softwood Lumber Trade Council
Apollo Global Management LLC
ATCO Group, including subsidiaries: ATCO Electric, ATCO Gas, ATCO Pipelines, ATCO Australia, ATCO Energy Solutions, ATCO Power, ATCO Mexico, ATCO Structures & Logistics and ATCO Sustainable communities.
Avenue Capital Group
BMO Financial Group
Brookfield Properties Corp.
Bureau Veritas Consumer Products Services Inc.
Cenovus Energy Inc.
Chorus Aviation Inc.
Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. (CNRL)
Columbia Pipeline Group
Denham Capital Management LP
EFG Bank (Switzerland)
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited
G&K Services, Inc.
Government of Canada
Grant Thornton BVI
Guccio Gucci SpA
Hyundai Electric & Energy Systems Ltd.
Katanga Mining Ltd.
Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts & Co.
Novatex Limited / M/s Gatron Industries Limited (Gatranova) / M/s G-Pac Corporation
Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd.
Oxford Properties Group
Quality Cheese Inc.
Rio Tinto Alcan
Riverstone Investment Group LLC
Steve Madden Canada
Total Energy Services Inc.
TriWest Capital Partners
TRW Automotive Holdings Corp.
Volkswagen AG, Volkswagen Group of America Inc., Volkswagen Group Canada Inc., Audi AG, Audi Canada Inc.
Walton Group of Companies
Wells Fargo Capital Finance Corporation Canada and Wells|Fargo Bank NA
Woodfibre LNG Ltd.
World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Advised Canadian Pacific Railway on its cross-border merger and concurrent debt offerings with Kansas City Southern; the transaction represents an enterprise value of approximately $31bn.
- Acted as Canadian counsel to Stone Canyon Industries Holdings LLC and Kissner Group Holdings on their agreement to acquire K+S Aktiengesellschaft’s North and South American salt business, including Morton Salt and Windsor Salt, for $3.2bn.
- Advised SECURE Energy Services on its C$2.3bn acquisition of Tervita Corporation.
- Advised Canada Oil Sands Co, a subsidiary of Japan Petroleum Exploration, on the employment aspects of the sale of its equity interest in Japan Canada Oil Sands to a special purpose acquisition vehicle owned by Greenfire Acquisition Corporation.
- Acted for ATCO in an arbitration involving a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
- Acted for Kidoodle TV on employment litigation involving issues relating to alleged employee share entitlement, wrongful dismissal, and quantum meruit claims.
Canada > Pensions Tier 3The pension and benefits advice provided by the team at Bennett Jones LLP forms an essential component of its broad employment practice. Clients involved in complex M&A transactions often seek the team's expertise to handle related pension and benefits issues that consequently arise. Design, administration, establishment and investment of both registered and non-registered pension plans also forms key elements of the group's expertise. Susan Seller , John Gilmore and Carl Cunningham co-lead the employment services practice; all are based in Toronto.
Canada > Technology Tier 3Bennett Jones LLP integrates its technology team with its commercial group to seamlessly advise clients on all related matters. The team has a breadth of experience in licensing matters concerning IT procurement and contracting and often advises clients within telecommunication, retail, financial, utilities and energy industries. Stephen Burns leads the practice, boasting expertise in technology transfers, data privacy and cybersecurity. Sébastien Gittens oversees IP negotiations in M&A matters
Other key lawyers:
Canada > Construction Tier 3Particularly reputed within the Western Canadian market, Bennett Jones LLP is geared to support on the contractual, litigious, project governance, risk mitigation, front-end engineering and procurement aspects of major projects. Jason Roth leads the practice from Calgary, operating alongside John Craig KC, a specialist in domestic and multinational arbitration, litigation and mediation. Brian Reid is especially knowledgeable of the energy sector, combining disputes prowess with expertise in tender documents, joint venture contracts and construction agreements.Bennett Jones LLP, the Ontario team is famed for its prowess in restructuring, fraud, class-action, insolvency, energy, mining, technology and M&A disputes, often acting on proceedings with a cross-border element. Richard Swan leads the local offering, having appeared before all levels of the Ontario and Federal Courts, and serves as a go-to name for disputes within the corporate, commercial and public law fields; he is supported by commercial litigation and class proceedings specialist, Michael Eizenga , who counts product liability, securities, competition, privacy and data breach cases among his core strengths, as well as Robert Staley , an authority in disputes pertaining to take-over and control bids. Over in Alberta, the team is well-regarded for its capacity within the mining, energy, technology and constructing sectors and is headed by Kenneth Lenz KC. The office is also home to Blair Yorke-Slader KC, a household name for contract, shareholder, securities and trust disputes, in addition to Munaf Mohamed KC who serves as co-lead of the firm’s economic and financial crimes department. At the more junior-end of the partnership spectrum, Michael Mysak leverages a track record in precedent-setting fraud recovery case meanwhile Laura Gill is routinely involved in energy-related disputes, particularly those pertaining to royalties, ownership stakes and industry agreements. As for the Vancouver offering, David Gruber oversees a team with significant real estate, construction, pharmaceutical, transport, oil and gas, retail and hospitality capabilities, which often operates in collaboration with the firm’s other offices on matters of national significance.
Other key lawyers:
Bennett Jones LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: Bennett Jones is one of Canada’s premier business law firms and home to more than 400 lawyers and business advisors in nine Canadian and international offices — Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton,
Ottawa, Vancouver, New York, and a representative office in Beijing. The firm’s focus on deepening relationships with clients in key global business centres has enabled it to lead a wide range of complex cross-border and international transactions and litigation. As such, Bennett Jones is ideally suited to advise foreign businesses and investors with Canadian ventures and investments, and connect Canadian businesses and investors with opportunities in the US, Asia, the Middle East, and around the world.
Firm culture: Bennett Jones reflects the integrity and professional excellence of the firm’s founding partners. Over the years, the firm has produced some of Canada’s most accomplished legal and business leaders, fostering values that established it as one of Canada’s most successful business law firms. The firm prides itself on offering clients innovative, strategic and forward-thinking approaches to business, legal and regulatory challenges and opportunities. Mutual respect and independent thought are cornerstones of client and colleague interactions. Bennett Jones is proud to have been recognized for 17 consecutive years as one of Canada’s best employers.
Main areas of practice
Energy and oil & gas: Contact: Vivek Warrier Tel: +403 298 3040
Contact: Shawn Munro Tel: +403 298 3481
Infrastructure and projects: Contact: Jason Roth Tel: +403 298 2070
Mining: Contact: Sander Grieve Tel: +416 777 4826
Private equity: Contact: John Mercury Tel: +403 298 4493
M&A: Contact: Kris Hanc Tel: +416 777 7395
Contact: John Piasta Tel: +403 298 3333
Litigation: Contact: Richard Swan Tel: +416 777 7479
Contact: Ken Lenz Tel: +403 298 3317
Banking and finance: Contact: Steve Lutz Tel: +416 777 5732
Contact: Pat Brennan Tel: +403 298 3433
Real estate: Contact: Jane Helmstadter Tel: +416 777 7470
Contact: Ron Barron Tel: +403 298 3491
International trade and investment:
Contact: Darrel Pearson Tel: +416 777 4811
Restructuring and insolvency: Contact: Kevin Zych Tel: +416 777 5738
Contact: Chris Simard Tel: +403 298 4485
Competition/antitrust: Contact: Randal Hughes Tel: +416 777 7471
Contact: Melanie Aitken Tel: +202 204 0500
Tax: Contact: Darcy Moch Tel: +403 298 3390
Contact: Thomas Bauer Tel: +416 777 6540
- Aboriginal law
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets and M&A
- Class actions
- Commercial litigation
- Commercial real estate
- Competition, anti-trust and foreign investment
- Corporate commercial
- Employment services
- Energy: oil & gas/power and renewable’s
- Fraud law
- Government affairs and public policy
- Information technology and data security
- Infrastructure projects
- Intellectual property and IP litigation
- International trade
- Private equity
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Securities litigation
- Structured finance / asset securitization
- Technology, media and entertainment
|Vice Chair, Clients & Industries||John Mercuryfirstname.lastname@example.org||403 298 4493|
|Industry Co-Leader, Energy and O&G||Vivek Warrieremail@example.com||403 298 3040|
|Industry Co-Leader, Energy and O&G||Shawn Munrofirstname.lastname@example.org||403 298 3481|
|Industry Leader, Funds & Finance||Claire Kennedyemail@example.com||403 298 6150|
|Industry Leader, Mining||Sander Grievefirstname.lastname@example.org||416 777 4826|
|Industry Leader, Capital Projects||Jason Rothemail@example.com||403 298 2070|
|Department Head, Corporate||Brent Krausfirstname.lastname@example.org||403 298 3071|
|Department Head, Corporate||Linda Misetich Dannemail@example.com||416 777 4636|
|Department Head, Corporate||Jonathan McCulloughfirstname.lastname@example.org||604 891 5306|
|Department Head, Litigation||Richard Swanemail@example.com||416 777 7479|
|Department Head, Litigation||Kenneth Lenzfirstname.lastname@example.org||403 298 3317|
|Department Head, Litigation||Stuart Hankinsonemail@example.com||604 891 5188|
|Department Head, Regulatory||Brad Gilmourfirstname.lastname@example.org||403 298 3382|
|Department Head, Tax||Darcy Mochemail@example.com||403 298 3390|
|Department Head, Tax||Thomas Bauerfirstname.lastname@example.org||416 777 6540|
|Mr Philip Backman||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Robert Booth||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Alixe Cameron||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Sébastien Gittens||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Jehad Haymour||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Loyola Keough||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Brent Kraus||Partner and Co-Head of Corporate Department||View Profile|
LanguagesEnglish French Chinese Hindi
MembershipsIBA (International Bar Association) ABA (American Bar Association) Interlex Group Pacific Rim Advisory Council (PRAC)
- Energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Transport > Aviation
- Dispute resolution: Alberta
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Energy and natural resources > Mining
- Energy and natural resources > Power
- Infrastructure projects
- International trade
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Dispute resolution: Ontario