Maples Group > London, England > Firm Profile
Maples Group Offices
11TH FLOOR, 200 ALDERSGATE STREET
Maples Group > The Legal 500 Rankings
Offshore firms in London Tier 1Maples Group maintains an ‘excellent’ practice and is highlighted for its ‘well-resourced and dedicated’ Cayman Islands team which handles the full spectrum of matters as well as providing Irish and Jersey law advice through its desks. Overseen by managing partner Heidi De Vries, the team features Harjit Kaur who specializes in funds and investment management, and Jonathan Caulton who heads the finance team. ‘An expert in his field’, Matthew Gilbert is head of the London based BVI practice and focuses on compliance and regulatory work for BVI companies. On the corporate side, Jack Marriott's practice covers public and private M&A, debt financing and restructurings. Counsel Alex Way is based in the firm's private client department.
Heidi de Vries
Other key lawyers:
‘This was my first experience of Maples in London. I had not realised what a large practice it was and was very impressed with the attention we received. As a late addition, they quickly fitted into the existing adviser group with no friction. Just what we wanted!’
‘Alex Way has gone from strength to strength – he operates technically at the level of a partner. He was promoted last year, a long awaited recognition of his contribution.’
‘Matt Gilbert and Joanna Russell are a delight to work with. They are pragmatic, focused and responsive; also very good humoured and work alongside you seemlessly.’
‘Maples are an excellent firm and we often refer legal opinion work to them. They are competitive on fees and easy to work with. Jo Russell is responsive, collaborative and just a breath of fresh air to deal with. Matt Gilbert’s humour and calm advice make him refreshing to work alongside.’
‘They are a very personable team and their communication skills and availability ensure that any deals we work on run as smoothly as possible from an overseas perspective. The team is always well resourced and work is carried out within designated timescales.’
‘Jo Russell and Matt Gilbert are both very knowledgeable and clearly experts in their field. It is great to work with a team that you can always trust to deliver excellent advice, support you throughout the deal and communicate effectively. They are also very transparent on costs, providing a clear scope of work at the outset and updating on fees throughout the transaction. They are a pleasure to work with.’
Hedosophia European Growth
Leo III Holdings
LXi Reit PLC
Platinum Securities Cayman SPC Limited
Nordic Aviation Capital
Clean Energy Transition LLC
- Advised Hedosophia European Growth on the Cayman Islands legal aspects of its SPAC IPO and listing on Euronext (Amsterdam). This was the first Cayman SPAC to list on Euronext (Amsterdam) since 2008.
- Advised EverArc Holdings Limited on the BVI and Luxembourg legal matters relating to EverArc’s entry into a definitive agreement with SK Invictus Holdings S.à.r.l. to acquire 100% of SK Invictus Intermediate S.à.r.l., the ultimate parent company of Perimeter Solutions, a leading global manufacturer of high-quality firefighting products and lubricant additives, in a transaction valued at approximately $2bn, consisting of cash and preferred shares.
- Acted as Cayman Islands legal counsel to three Cayman Islands entities; Energy Dynamics Fund Limited, Energy Dynamics Master L.P. and Clean Energy Transition GP I Limited. The transaction involved the spin out of the $2.2bn (as at December 2021) fund structure managed by Per Lekander from Lansdowne Partners, and the establishment of a new management company (Clean Energy Transition LLP) to house its clean energy capabilities as a stand-alone specialist entity.
Jersey > Banking and finance Tier 2According to clients, ‘where many overseas counsel can seem to provide more problems than solutions, Maples Group is quite the reverse‘. The firm, which is solidifying its presence in the Channel Islands, has a strong US private equity client base, which it advises on fund finance matters, as well as deals involving leveraged, real estate and Shariah-compliant finance, the latter being a specialism of practice head Mark Crichton. Paul Burton is strong for leveraged and structured finance transactions. Simon Hopwood is knowledgeable in UK REIT structures. Becoming of counsel in December 2021, Amy Black is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Paul Burton; Simon Hopwood; Amy Black; Anna Cochrane
‘Responsive , quality advice at competitive pricing in a crowded offshore market where firms can additionally differentiate themselves by with individual engagement – Maples do this.’
‘Excellent can-do attitude. Where many overseas counsel can seem to provide more problems than solutions, Maples are quite the reverse. They are quick to grasp the commercial realities of a transaction and work to get the deal done, whilst providing easy to understand explanations of the idiosyncrasies of their various jurisdictions. I appreciate their commercial approach to agreeing fees.’
‘Paul Burton and Anna Cochrane in the Jersey office have recently assisted with some quite complex advice and were able to deal with and advise the client directly rather than it needing to be “postboxed” through the English lawyers. Again I have always found them helpful and friendly as well as very knowledgeable.’
‘Great advice and drafting delivered in calm and commercial manner. Great communication.’
‘Simon Hopwood is an excellent lawyer. Calm and precise. Great commercial knowledge and delivers work and advice on time and on budget. Really great guy who provides and excellent service.’
‘Mark Crichton and his team are friendly, commercial, responsive and unfailingly reliable. It is always an absolute pleasure to be working with or opposite them.’
Apache Capital Partners
Global Infrastructure Partners
- Acting as Jersey borrower transaction counsel for 6-strong consortium high on the full redemption and refinancing of a senior secured facility utilised by Galaxy Pipeline Assets Bidco Limited (Global Infrastructure Partners consortium) to acquire 49% stake in Abu Dhabi National Oil (ADNOC) lease rights to 38 gas pipelines.
- Advising Blackstone Credit (BXC) on the Jersey aspects of provision of a USD 1.29bn debt package (including leveraged credit facility) to BC Partners in connection with its USD 1.7bn acquisition of Davies, a specialist insurance sector technology service provider.
- Acting for Apache Capital Partners on its £95m refinancing with pbb Deutsche Pfandbriefbank in relation to its Angel Gardens BTR development.
Jersey > Capital markets Tier 2The team at Maples Group is able to ‘work seamlessly to do the best for the end client‘, coordinating closely with colleagues throughout the firm’s international offshore office network. The group is known for debt capital markets, including high-yield bonds, equity listings and structured finance transactions. Mark Crichton heads the overarching finance team. Paul Burton is most noted for debt capital markets transactions and public M&A. Chris Byrne is experienced in offshore listings on the international stock exchange. Anna Cochrane and Amy Black are also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Byrne; Paul Burton; Anna Cochrane; Amy Black
‘Maples is our “go-to” firm for debts listings on either The International Stock Exchange or the Caymans Stock Exchange (where they co-ordinate their global firm). The are well connected to both exchanges, know the rules as well as any exemptions that can be applied for and the circumstances in which they can be applied for, and are generally very knowledgeable with regards to debt listings. When working with them, they feel like an extension of our legal advisory team, working seamlessly with us to do the best for the end client. We do not work with the team on any other issues and therefore cannot comment on those.’
‘We typically engage Maples to work on a number of listings, which are all very similar but for different issuers, at around the same time and on similar timescales. The team never appear to get the listings mixed up and are always aware of the most current position and outstanding points. Chris Byrne and Anna Cochrane are our go-to people.’
‘Maples are very responsive and pragmatic, and are also able to give useful colour on the market.’
‘Chris Byrne is very experienced and responsive.’
‘Amy Black is on top of the issues.’
Arabian Centres Sukuk Limited
Barclays Bank plc
Barclays Bank Ireland plc
Neuberger Berman Europe
Citi Global Markets
Galaxy Pipelines Asset Holdings Limited
Newfoundland CLO I Limited
Willow No.2 (Ireland) plc
HPS Investment Partners
- Acted as Jersey transaction counsel for 6-strong consortium high yield bond issuer Galaxy Pipeline Assets Bidco Limited (Global Infrastructure Partners). USD 3.9 billion Senior Secured Series bond issuance to complete the full refinancing of a USD 9 billion acquisition (bridge to bond) facility entered into in July 2020. Facility proceeds utilised for acquisition of a 49% stake in Abu Dhabi National Oil (ADNOC) lease rights to 38 gas pipelines.
- Act as Jersey legal counsel for Citigroup Global (as representative of the several underwriters) in connection with the offering by NYSE listed Clarivate plc of certain mandatory convertible preferred shares in the capital of the company. Issuance in connection with Clarivate agreement to acquire ProQuest, a leading global software, data and analytics provider for USD 5.3 billion.
‘Good combination of strong technical and commercial skills combined with promptness of response.’
‘Paul Burton has been a long time “go to” adviser. He exemplifies all the characteristics of the wider team.’
‘The team is able to address new situations and to back to first principles to find the best solution. The team is familiar with cross border work. We worked on a deSPAC transaction together which went at a fast pace with no precedent to follow. The team blended easily into our own team and the client’s team.’
‘They are very responsive. They have Jersey lawyers in Jersey and in London. They are very client-focused’
‘Tim Morgan is very client-focused and he and Anna Cochrane in London make a great team. They provide technically excellent advice in a user-friendly way’
‘I have found the team to be very user-friendly – responsive, commercial, pragmatic and very easy to work with.’
‘An exceptional team of lawyers who display a depth and breadth of knowledge in dealing with all aspects of corporate transactions and never fail to deliver to the highest standards.’
‘Paul Burton is an outstanding lawyer , he is highly experienced in his field, and approaches every project with energy and enthusiasm, he works tirelessly to see a deal through to its conclusion, however tight the deadlines. He displays a broad transaction knowledge, an exceptional talent for drafting the most complex of contracts and a practical and commercial approach.’
Symphony Technology Group
Waldencast Acquisition Corp.
Deka Immobilien Investment GmbH
Gemcorp Capital LLP
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. Inc. (KKR)
Bain Capital Partners
Aquiline Capital Partners
Global Infrastructure Partners
Brookfield Asset Management
Apache Capital Partners
The Jordan Company
Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
Sun Capital Partners Inc.
Ottawa Avenue Private Capital
HPS Investment Partners LLC
Fleetcor Technologies, Inc
- Acted as Jersey legal counsel for the consortium led by Symphony Technology Group in its acquisition of the enterprise software business of US global computer security software company, McAfee for USD 4 billion in cash.
- Provided all Jersey legal input needed on the high profile take private of British infrastructure investor group John Laing, which owns and develops infrastructure assets across the Americas, Australia and Europe.
Jersey > Investment funds Tier 2The Maples Group funds team leverages the firm’s presence in Jersey, Dublin, Cayman and Luxembourg to handle cross-border matters for a wide variety of European, Asian and Middle Eastern funds. The group has expertise across hedge, private equity, venture capital, debt and real estate funds. It has also developed a niche in co-invest structures and GP-led restructuring deals. The team is jointly led by Simon Hopwood , an expert in the establishment and structuring of UK REITs and Shariah-compliant funds; and Tim Morgan, who is experienced in private equity fund launches. Mark Crichton is also recommended for fund transactions.
Simon Hopwood; Tim Morgan
‘Very strong international presence. Collaborative and technically strong partners.’
‘Simon Hopwood is stand out in his field. Collaborative and strong technically.’
‘Practical solutions across multiple jurisdictions.’
‘Tim Morgan – experienced and trusted individual who is able to join the dots and bring in the right people at the right time.’
‘The team around partner Simon Hopwood supports him in an exemplary and reliable manner. As a client, one can naturally rely on promises made and thus keep the focus on the critical issues. Naturally, we do not look behind the scenes, but we do not see any need for changes in the team or its working methods due to the smooth handling of the mandate.’
‘Simon Hopwood as partner and Amy Black as the relevant other lawyer in his team know the requirements of our firm as a German provider of German real estate funds very well from years of cooperation and therefore provide targeted and reliable legal advice. Needless to say, both are available at short notice and cooperate in an exemplary manner with our lawyers from other jurisdictions, tax advisors and other service providers.’
‘Excellent technical knowledge, clear and succinct advice and friendly, approachable staff.’
‘Simon Hopwood excels in all areas. A perfect combination of technical knowledge, clear advice and accessibility. Simon is also extremely friendly, helpful and approachable. Tim Morgan consistently provides excellent technical and industry knowledge. Tim is always friendly and approachable.’
The Jordan Company, L.P.
Cambridge innovation Capital
- Advised the New York based fund manager, The Jordan Company, L.P., in connection the establishment of a Jersey limited partnership alternative investment vehicle for certain funds managed by it.
‘Maples Group in the Cayman Islands is a very professional service provider: they provide profound though practical advice and are highly available. They have been our to-go adviser for the last 6 years.’
‘Maxine Bodden provides hands-on advice, has a broad perspective on the client’s needs, and is a skilled lawyer and adviser.’
‘Great time of response and availability. Excellent capability to adapt to client’s requests and needs.’
‘Maxine Bodden has great knowledge and sensibility on private client practice.’
Maples Group > Firm Profile
The Maples Group’s London offices provide full service legal advice on the laws of the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Ireland and Jersey. In addition, the Maples Group provides a range of fiduciary services to UK companies, limited liability partnerships and structured finance vehicles as well as UK facilities agent services to Irish and Luxembourg UCITS. We also offer process agency services for clients requiring a process agent in the United Kingdom.
Through our Irish Desk, our London office offers clients in the region access to our market leading Irish legal advice from a more convenient time zone.
|Jonathan Caulton||Jonathan is head of Maples and Calder’s Finance team in the Maples…||View Profile|
|Ray Davern||Ray is head of Maples and Calder’s London-based Trusts & Private Client…||View Profile|
|Heidi De Vries||Heidi is Managing Partner of Maples and Calder, in the Maples Group’s…||View Profile|
|Matthew Gilbert||Matthew is a partner in the Maples Group’s London office and chairs…||View Profile|
|Robert Hughes||Rob is a partner in Maples and Calder’s Funds & Investment Management…||View Profile|
|Harjit Kaur||Harjit is head of Maples and Calder’s Funds & Investment Management team…||View Profile|
|Jack Marriott||Jack is head of Maples and Calder’s Corporate team in the Maples…||View Profile|
Investment limited partnerships in Ireland: the new way forwardThe Investment Limited Partnership (Amendment) Act, 2020 (the 2020 Act) brought about much-welcomed updates to the Irish investment limited partnership (ILP) regime, ensuring that the ILP is a modern and efficient partnership vehicle.