Pinheiro Neto Advogados > Rio de Janeiro, Brazil > Firm Profile
Pinheiro Neto Advogados Offices
RUA HUMAITÀ, 275
RIO DE JANEIRO, RJ 22261-005
Pinheiro Neto Advogados > The Legal 500 Rankings
Brazil > Banking and finance Tier 1Pinheiro Neto Advogados successfully strikes a balance between the transactional and the regulatory. In the latter, the firm has a strong track record advising established and emerging players in the payments and fintech space. Work in other areas, including debt renegotiations and refinancings, accelerated as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, and team members were involved in the creation of Brazil’s first Relief Fund. This is in addition to its normal activities such as acquisition finance, syndicated lending, infrastructure loans and debt capital markets. Key partners include Bruno Balduccini on the regulatory side, and José Luiz Homem de Mello for transactional matters. Fernando Ruiz de Almeida Prado and Tiago Themudo Lessa are active in structured finance. Recently promoted partners Yuka Ono and Ricardo Binnie are also making good names for themselves. Since publication, Raphael Palmieri Salomão has been promoted to partner, effective January 2022.
‘Good knowledge of the financial industry and issues related to data protection and the consumer. The firm differs through its ability to think about how innovative solutions can be built without hurting the existing legal and regulating architecture.’
‘Bruno Balduccini, Raphael Salomão, Alessandra Martins and Larissa Galimberti are recommended.’
‘Pinheiro Neto’s lawyers are technically very specialized and competent. In addition, what really sets them apart from the rest is their experience, especially in the banking regulatory area and payment methods. It’s hard to have any topic they haven’t yet experienced.’
Banco do Brasil
Caixa Economica Federal
- Advised Finergy (CPFL), Cora, N26, Stark, CredNovo and several other clients’ applications as credit fintechs before the Central Bank.
- Advised BofA Securities, Banco BTG Pactual, Goldman Sachs, Itaú BBA USA Securities, and J.P. Morgan Securities as underwriters on a $700m issue of Tier 1 Subordinated Notes by Itaú Unibanco Holding.
- Advised a syndicate of 16 banks on a R$15.2bn loan to the National Electric Power Agency and CCEE with a view to easing the financial struggle of electricity distributors following the decrease in electricity consumption due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Brazil > Capital markets Tier 1Pinheiro Neto Advogados is highly sought after for advice on complex debt and equity capital markets matters. On the equity side, the firm advised on over 30 offerings in 2020, including IPOs, follow-on transactions and tender offers, and is also noted for its regulatory expertise and assistance on the structuring of investment funds. The team also covers the full range of products on the debt side, including infrastructure debentures and cross-border bond offerings. Key partners in the team include Ricardo Russo, who leads the debt capital markets side of the practice, which also sees strong input from Tiago Araujo Dias Themudo Lessa for agribusiness-related financings, and Fernando Prado Ferreira. Guilherme Sampaio Monteiro and Henrique Lang have both been extremely busy on equity issuances. Rafael Gaspar - who made partner in January 2022 - is also developing a good name on the debt front.
Ricardo Russo; Guilherme Sampaio Monteiro; Henrique Lang
‘A technical team of excellent quality, with deep knowledge in the most diverse areas and full service capacity.’
‘It is a firm that can meet virtually any demand and always with quality.’
Águas do Brasil
CVC Brasil Operadora e Agência de Viagens
Banco do Brasil
Track & Field
Bank of America
- Advised sporting goods company Track & Field on its $93.7m primary and secondary IPO, including placement efforts in the US.
- Addvised Alphaville on its $59m IPO.
- Advised BNP Paribas and other underwriters on several multibillion-dollar bond offerings by Petrobras.
Noted for its 'innovative way of advocating and offering legal solutions', Pinheiro Neto Advogados' Brasília-based litigation team is among the best in the market. The firm is regularly involved in high-profile cases before the superior courts, where it is able to field cross-office teams of expert litigators from Brasília and São Paulo. In a case that could set the policy for the privatisation of subsidiaries of public companies in the country, the firm is representing Caixa Econômica Federal as amicus curiae in direct actions of unconstitutionality filed by political parties and labour unions concerning the corporate restructuring and divestiture of Caixa Econômica Federal and its subsidiaries. Names to note in the sizeable team include appellate litigation specialists Vicente Coelho Araujo and Leonardo Rocha e Silva, José Alexandre Buaiz Neto and government relations and mining expert Carlos Vilhena. Daniel Costa Rebello and associate and competition law expert José Rubens Battazza Iasbech are also noted.
‘Its excellence in service, quality in the innovative way of advocating and offering legal solutions, make it stand out, reflecting in our view respect and trust in the legal market.’
‘Leonardo Rocha e Silva and Jose Rubens Iasbech Batazza: Extremely dedicated team, involved in the topics and technically very good.’
‘Leonardo Rocha e Silva knows the environment in which he works very well and the litigation as such. Excellent lawyer. Jose Rubens – handles day-to-day cases with extreme quality.’
‘Daniel Costa Rebello is recommended.’
- Obtained an important decision from the Federal Supreme Court on behalf of client Alstom; in Alstom’s dispute with Metrô-DF, the Supreme Court rejected another appeal filed by Metrô-DF and confirmed Alstom’s right to receive amounts due to the breach of contracts through regular enforcement measures.
- Acted for Motion Picture Association America Latina as amicus curiae in a direct action for declaration of unconstitutionality filed before the Brazilian Supreme Court by The Brazilian Association of Independent Television Producers – BRAVI.
- Acting for Caixa Econômica Federal in a case concerning the constitutionality of Provisional Measure No. 995, which provided for measures related to the corporate restructuring and divestiture of the client.
‘Incredibly responsive to outside counsel and client requests‘, Pinheiro Neto Advogados is praised for its ‘very thorough understanding of Brazilian antitrust laws‘ and ‘excellent understanding of business-related issues‘. With a long history in the market, the firm has established a leading reputation in the field of competition; having originated from the firm’s dispute resolution department, it is particularly adept in administrative proceedings before CADE, as well as in litigation. Also of note is the firm’s extensive experience in obtaining merger clearance for large-scale corporate transactions, with the firm’s position among the top M&A firms in the country ensuring a steady flow of cases. Cristianne Saccab Zarzur maintains a balanced competition practice that takes in merger control, investigations, compliance programmes and indemnification claims, and the ‘extremely business-oriented‘ and ‘highly trustworthy antitrust lawyer‘ José Alexandre Buaiz Neto complements his competition law practice with expertise in compliance and litigation. Renê Medrado is also recommended, as are associates Alessandro Pezzolo Giacaglia, Luis Henrique Perroni Fernandes and Lucas Moreira Jimenez. In recent developments, senior associate Jackson de Freitas Ferreira joined the firm from TozziniFreire Advogados in February 2021.
‘Despite the size of the office (one of the largest in Brazil), Pinheiro Neto Advogados’ team manages to maintain proximity to its clients, providing a “bespoke service”, taking into account peculiarities of business or the client’s own corporate culture. I’d also emphasise the maintenance of easy access in communication with the client (returns are given in a short time, either by the partner or other team members).’
‘Incredibly responsive to outside counsel and client requests, as well as having great in depth knowledge about process and strategy in very complex matters.’
‘The whole team was very responsive and connected to the process. Rene Medrado in particular was my go to on all matters, but was also supported by a great team in Alessandro Giacaglia, Luis Henrique Fernandes, and Lucas Moreira Jimenez.’
‘José Alexandre Buaiz: Aside from the professional’s technical knowledge, his strategic and negotiating skills, which are fundamental to achieving the best result for the client, are of note, even if one is in a negotiation difficult for a leniency agreement.’
‘Very thorough understanding of Brazilian antitrust laws. Excellent understanding of business-related issues. Very pragmatic and constructive counseling approach.’
‘José Alexandre Buaiz Neto: excellent highly trustworthy antitrust lawyer. Great judgement, extremely business-oriented.’
Boston Scientific Corporation
Banco de Investimentos Credit Suisse (Brasil)
Abbott Laboratórios do Brasil
Saint-Gobain do Brasil Produtos Industriais e para Construção
The Boeing Company
- Acted on behalf of Fras-le in an alleged cartel investigation in the market for clutch facing.
- Representing Acciona in an alleged cartel investigation involving tenders of the Brazilian public company Valec Engenharia Construções e Ferrovia.
- Acted on behalf of SBM in the merger control aspects of its acquisition of interest in five Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessels from Constellation.
Brazil > Corporate and M&A Tier 1With a ‘huge reputation in corporate and M&A‘, Pinheiro Neto Advogados fields lawyers who ‘in addition to knowledge, have soft skills that are increasingly necessary in an environment of pressure and anxiety‘. Corporate and M&A has been in the firm’s DNA since its creation in 1942, and today it continues to be instructed in market-leading transactions, acting for a mix of buyers and sellers, and national and international companies. The full-service firm’s coverage of competition, compliance and capital markets is also of note. In the important topic of D&I, the firm’s diversity programme sees it acting on five fronts: gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, people with disabilities and religious freedom. The firm is a signatory to the UN Free & Equal campaign and the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LFAA) resolution, and – alongside other leading Brazilian firms – it is a supporter of the Incluir Direito and Aliança Jurídica pela Equidade Racial projects. Its large pro bono practice remained active – and in fact increased in hours and participation – throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, during which time the firm participated in a number of relevant initiatives, including the Brazilian Relief Fund, Estímulo 2020, which assists small and medium entities as well as micro-enterprises to handle the economic fallout of the crisis. Key names in the large corporate and M&A department include the highly regarded Carlos Alberto Moreira Lima Junior, co-managing partners Alexandre Bertoldi and Fernando Alves Meira, member of the firm’s steering committee Vânia Marques Ribeiro, M&A, private equity and securities law partner João Marcelo Gonçalves Pacheco and Marcelo Viveiros de Moura, who has a notable track record in M&A in the oil and gas sector. M&A and capital markets expert Henrique Lang, Antônio José Mattos Morello, and senior associate Priscila Gurgel Menezes is also noted. Since publication, Camila Carvalho Gomes has been promoted to the partnership, effective January 2022.
‘I only have compliments regarding the PNA corporate and M&A team. In fact, all the PNA teams are fantastic. They are excellent in conducting the project, have expertise in the subject and, as a client, I am extremely relaxed being advised by them. The main differential is that, in addition to knowledge, they have soft skills that are increasingly necessary in an environment of pressure and anxiety.’
‘The office has a huge reputation in the corporate and M&A area, having worked in relevant market operations, being highly qualified to advise on complex cases and find solutions on a case-by-case basis.’
‘Carlos Lima, for his legal knowledge, deep understanding of the sector where the current company and the understanding of the concerns and desires of the shareholders and the vision of the owner (goes beyond what was asked, seeking the best for the client). Hernique Lang, for his deep knowledge in operations structured in capital market operations. Carlos Eduardo de Azevedo for understanding the sector where the company operates, exceptional partnership and engagement, being willing to go beyond and seek solutions to meet the needs of customers.’
‘Experience, pro deal work, team availability.’
‘Antonio Morello, Priscila Menezes and Camila Otani Nishi are recommended.’
‘Henrique Lang and Camila Carvalho Gomes are recommended.’
Natura & Co
Localiza Rent a Car
SOL Fundo de Investimento em Participações Multiestratégia and RFPLCA Participações (Santher)
Nu Pagamentos (Nubank)
Linx Pay Meios de Pagamento
Banco BTG Pactual
Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras
Grupo A Educação
- Acts for Localiza Rent a Car in the business combination of B3’s Novo Mercado-listed companies Localiza Rent a Car and Companhia de Locação das Américas – Unidas.
- Represented Natura Cosméticos in the acquisition of Avon Products by means of an all-share merger.
- Acted for TIM in the joint acquisition by TIM, Telefonica Brasil and Claro of the mobile services business operated by Oi Móvel.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados is a go-to destination in the Brazilian legal market for high-stakes domestic and international arbitration across a number of industries. With a multidisciplinary approach, the practice is seasoned in proceedings involving corporate and M&A disputes, construction contracts, finance agreements, infrastructure investments as well as concessions and other issues with the public administration. Leading domestic and international companies often seek Gilberto Giusti's advice and representation in relation to civil, commercial and corporate disputes. Renato Stephan Grion stands out for his experience in international arbitration and commercial mediation, while Júlio César Bueno excels in national and international cases involving major construction and infrastructure projects located throughout Brazil and Latin America. Pedro Barradas Barata is regularly engaged by banks, hedge funds and pharmaceutical companies in high-stakes arbitrations.
‘In addition to its reputation in the market, PN stands out for its organisation and efficient communication with clients, seeking alternatives for discussion of paths. There is an excellent dynamic in the discussions and preparation of the working papers.’
‘The firm is one of the best and most traditional in the country and has the best structure in terms of number of professionals and areas served. Júlio Bueno is a partner at the firm who has excellent dialogue and negotiation power, which makes him stand out in arbitration proceedings.’
‘Very prepared lawyers. Excellent professionals, very attentive, helpful and trained to act in the most complex cases. Julio Bueno deserves a special mention.’
‘Tradition, excellent quality of professionals, detailed theses and petitions.’
Abu Dhabi Investment Authority – ADIA
Le Coq Sportif
Concessionária Da Linha 4 Do Metrô De São Paulo
- Represented VIAQUATRO – Concessionária da Linha 4 Do Metrô De São Paulo in a dispute regarding the economic-financial balance of the concession agreement entered into between it and and the state of São Paulo.
- Acted for VIAQUATRO – Concessionária da Linha 4 Do Metrô De São Paulo in a dispute involving the compensation for the late sectioning of bus lines by the state of São Paulo.
With 'seasoned lawyers in a wide variety of practice areas', Pinheiro Neto Advogados has an extremely strong reputation in Brazil. The firm's litigation practice is skilled at handling high-profile cases with national and international significance, especially matters arising from corporate, commercial and contractual disputes. Gilberto Giusti is seasoned in domestic and cross-border matters, showcasing comprehensive knowledge of cases involving civil, commercial, corporate, securities and construction disputes. Civil and commercial litigation are the main areas of activity for Luis Cláudio Furtado Faria, who is regularly retained by clients operating in the energy, shipping and financial services sectors. Celso Cintra Mori, whose litigation experience spans more than five decades, and civil litigator Diógenes Gonçalves are other key contacts within the department. Vicente Coelho Araujo, who is based in the Brasília office, stands out for his track record in appellate litigation before the Brazilian higher courts.
‘The team is excellent.’
‘The breadth of the practice is its core strength. Pinheiro Neto has seasoned lawyers in a wide variety of practice areas so no matter the problem, someone at the firm has relevant experience to help you solve it.’
‘The firm offers qualified professionals and, as they work in different segments, they manage to contemplate several aspects.’
‘Professionalism; Quality of service; Understanding the customer’s business.’
‘I would highlight Pedro Paulo Barradas Barata and Carla Cavalheiro for their reliability, clarity and quality of arguments.‘
KPMG Auditores Independentes
Brookfield Infrastructure Group
Mitsui Gás e Energia
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Arcos Dourados Comércio de Alimentos
Casa Bahia Comercial
CTEEP – Companhia de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica Paulista
Vantage Drilling International
Viabahia Concessionária de Rodovias
Alstom Brasil Energia e Transporte
- Representing Canadian-based company Brookfield in two lawsuits involving the sale of NTS, a Petrobras subsidiary that engages in natural gas distribution in the southeast region of Brazil.
- Assisted Microsoft in judicial and administrative proceedings in which the Brazilian National Council of Justice (CNJ) discussed the suspension of the agreement signed by the State Court of Justice of São Paulo (TJSP) and Microsoft on February 2019.
- Provides legal defence to Mitsui Gás e Energia do Brasil (MGEB), a company of the Mitsui Group, in a public civil lawsuit filed by the Federation of Oil Workers (FUP) against Petrobras and MGEB.
Working closely with the litigation and environmental practices, Pinheiro Neto Advogados is well positioned to assist clients with the gamut of transactional, regulatory and contentious mining mandates. Its broad client roster not only features some of the most relevant mining companies in Brazil, but also includes leading financial institutions, private equity firms and funds which partake in debt transactions and investments involving mining assets. On the transactional front, the department has been particularly active in financing for new projects, mergers and acquisitions; other recent areas of growth include legal matters involving the suspension of the right to mine, contractual issues, and environmental and labour matters arising out of the pandemic. Mining law and government relations expert Carlos Vilhena and Filipe Morais Cunha, both of whom are proficient in corporate, regulatory and contractual matters, are key figures in Brasília.
‘Pinheiro Neto Advogados provides a service with high legal quality, always demonstrating 360-degree thinking, evaluating all possible risks and opportunities involved in the discussions. The team’s technical knowledge, the agility in returning and understanding the subject, and lawyers’ availability are notable.’
‘Carlos Vilhena has very high technical knowledge, is very accessible and always available. He is able to assess all the risks and opportunities for the company, taking every factor into account.’
‘The team is one of the best due to the technical knowledge and expertise. The team is fantastic in guiding clients in this environment and Carlos Vilhena as team leader has shown excellent skills in this respect. Carlos Vilhena is an outstanding leader and expert in the mining sector. His sense of timing and political and legal focus is of great help to investors. I also would like to stress his ethical values and sense of honour.’
‘Excellent understanding of customer demand and needs.’
‘Carlos Vilhena has a full understanding of clients’ demands and provides advice based on risk management. Filipe Cunha has exceptional legal technical knowledge.’
‘The number of years that the team has specialised in the natural resources and mining sector makes their expertise second to none. The individuals in the Pinheiro Neto mining team are extremely responsive, understand the technical legal issues and are able to provide practical advice.’
Great Panther Mining
Mineração Rio do Norte
China Molybdenum (CMOC)
- Assisting Yamana Gold with the structuring and implementation of a complex corporate reorganisation of its subsidiaries in Brazil.
- Acted for Lundin Mining in the acquisition of Chapada Mine and its expansion projects, Suruca and Hidrotermalito.
- Assisted Great Panther Mining in the negotiation of a Gold Doré pre-payment transaction with Samsung.
Brazil > Environment Tier 1The highly specialised environmental law practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados provides comprehensive advice to its corporate client base based in Brazil and abroad, but is perhaps best known for its involvement in high-profile environmental litigation, involving contamination issues, licensing matters, regulations and tailings dam-related incidents (among others). In addition to administrative and judicial proceedings, the team also excels in crisis management, regulatory matters, sustainability issues and environmental due diligence in the context of corporate transactions. Of particular note, the team has been collaborating with the infrastructure, banking and capital markets groups to advise clients on ESG issues and green financing deals. Antonio José Monteiro is a key practitioner, whose areas of activity include acting for companies from the agribusiness and biotech sectors before environmental agencies. Contentious matters involving the infrastructure and agribusiness industries are key specialisms for Werner Grau Neto, who is proficient in environmental consulting and litigation. Alexandre Outeda Jorge is noted for his experience in mandates involving class actions and occupational health, while Andre Vivan de Souza is recommended for environmental licensing, waste management and forestry matters.
‘Excellent, very experienced team with smart lawyers on all levels of seniority. Doing a great job in handling a very complex matter with a plethora of workstreams and different tasks. Alexandre Outeda Jorge is very responsive and delivers outstanding quality.’
‘One of the largest full-service firms in the country. I appreciate the fact that they are accessible people, who understand the corporate side of companies when it comes to risk analysis and decision-making. The partner who works with us, Alexandre Jorge, is an extremely qualified and skilled professional.’
‘I have been working with Pinheiro Neto for over 15 years, with Werner Grau Neto’s team, and I do not know another lawyer as brilliant as he is in environmental matters. There are excellent lawyers in the market, very qualified, engaged, partners and who deliver excellent results. But Werner is different. He is bold, very technical and experienced in many work fronts, and surrounds himself with excellent professionals.’
‘Werner Grau is an excellent lawyer and partner with clients. Experienced in different segments, they are always ready to support you with qualified opinions.’
‘Andre Vivan de Souza stands out for his technical knowledge, availability and negotiation skills.’
Associação Brasileira de Reciclagem de Eletroeletrônicos e Eletrodomésticos
Coca-Cola FEMSA Brasil
CESP – Companhia Energética de São Paulo
Companhia de Concessões Rodoviárias – CCR
- Continues to represent BHP Billiton in multiple collective and individual lawsuits related to Samarco’s dam failure and negotiations with federal and state prosecutors, Vale, environmental authorities and other stakeholders.
- Representing multiple companies in environmental litigation concerning waste disposal by Companhia Brasileira de Bauxita – Usina de Passivos Ambientais – CBB/USPAM.
- Assists Coalizão Embalagens (a coalition of 14 industry/commerce associations) in the engagement with federal and state authorities to establish the legal framework and instruments for implementation of packaging take back systems.
Brazil > International trade Tier 1
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a solid track record in representing companies and trade organisations in high-profile trade remedies investigations. This includes advising on sunset reviews, public interest proceedings and safeguards investigations, both for importers and exporters. The team is co-led by the highly experienced Mauro Berenholc and Renê Medrado, and works in conjunction with partners in the tax team such as Carlos Henrique Tranjan Bechara on customs issues. Advice on anti-dumping featured prominently on the team's workload in 2020; examples included its advice to clients on measures put in place on the imports of disposable syringes from China during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Mauro Berenholc; Renê Medrado
General Motors do Brasil
GRU Airport (Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de Guarulhos)
Tetra Pak Group
Becton Dickinson Group
ABIACID (Associação Brasileira da Industria de Ácido Cítrico e Derivados)
- Assisting BASF in the second sunset review proceeding initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat in a view to renew the anti-dumping measures in place on the imports into Brazil of butyl acrylate originating in the US.
- Advising Becton Dickinson Indústrias Cirúrgicas in the second sunset review proceeding initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat concerning anti-dumping measures in place on the imports into Brazil of disposable syringes originating in China.
- Assisting Tetra Pak in the anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat concerning imports into Brazil of aluminium laminates (plates, strips and foil) originating from China.
Brazil > Life sciences Tier 1Highlighted for its ‘in-depth technical knowledge‘ and the ‘availability of senior partners and associates‘, Pinheiro Neto Advogados maintains a busy life sciences department, which is equipped to advise clients across all relevant sub-sectors, from pharmaceuticals to cosmetics to medical devices. The department’s extensive regulatory expertise sees it providing advice on biodiversity, advanced therapy and sanitary protocols, and the team has also been particularly busy assisting clients on matters relating to Covid-19 and immunisation. The firm’s leading corporate and M&A practice, combined with its life sciences specialism, also makes it well placed to advise on corporate transactions in the sector. Angela Fan Chi Kung, a co-founder of the firm’s well-established life sciences practice, is highly regarded for her expertise in this field. Healthcare law specialist Théra van Swaay de Marchi and senior associate Nicole Aun, whose expertise spans compliance, regulation, data protection and IP, are also names to note. Associate Júlia de Castro Kesselring left in June 2021.
‘In-depth technical knowledge; availability of senior partners and associates; ability to understand the practical situation and search for effective and safe solutions in the implementation of the projects.’
‘Pinheiro Neto Law Firm is the biggest and renowned law firm in Brazil, formed by highly qualified professionals in the areas of expertise, especially in the Life Sciences area. Due to deep knowledge in the area, knowledge of legislation and regulatory and sanitary standards, it makes the firm one of the best for legal advice in Brazil. In addition to deep knowledge in the Life Sciences area, Pinheiro Neto Law Firm also demonstrates high qualification and remarkable knowledge in the area of bidding, which is essential for that area.’
‘Angela Kung and Nicole Recchi Aun are recommended.’
‘Carlos Lima; Angela Kung; Gerson Durant Gomes Filho; Alexandre Magri Trevini: these are distinguished professionals, because of the knowledge of the areas in which they work, specialisms in the themes and deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector, M&A and tenders. They are always willing to contribute with business strategies.’
Laboratórios Pierre Fabre do Brasil
Canopy Growth Corporation
Boston Scientific Corporation
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Bristol-Myers Squibb Farmacêutica
Amazon Serviços de Varejo do Brasil
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has one of the leading restructuring and insolvency teams in the market, where it provides comprehensive support to a wide range of creditors and debtors. The firm has played a prominent role on some of the country's largest restructurings, particularly on the creditor side. Its expertise spans DIP financings, distressed acquisitions and sales, capital markets, and judicial and extra-judicial reorganisations. Among the partners, the highly rated Luiz Fernando Valente de Paiva has a sterling track record in complex litigations and out-of-court debt restructurings; Giuliano Colombo is another key partner, supporting debtors and creditors, including shareholders and ad hoc bondholder committees; and André Moraes Marques and recently promoted partner Thiago Braga Junqueira are also making strong names for themselves.
‘Thiago Junqueira is part of a new generation of lawyers more pragmatic and adjusted to the reality of today. Practical and direct advice, with examples and jurisprudence, for his age a true library.’
‘All interaction with the office has been simple and hassle-free. Availability almost 24/7, which is important. The information is accurate and concise.‘
Golden Tree Capital Management
Lineas – Concessões de Transportes (Líneas)
Piemont Holding Participaçoes
Credit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Natixis North America
Gramercy Capital Management
CHS Agronegócio – Indústria e Comércio
Intesa Sanpaolo, Hong Kong Branch
Canara Bank, London Branch
State Bank of India, London Branch
ABN Amro Bank
Standard Chartered Bank
Tecnoloc Locações de Máquinas e Equipamentos
- Advised the ad hoc group of bondholders and backstoppers, including Golden Tree Capital Management, on the entire restructuring process of Oi.
- Assisting Titan Venture Capital e Investimentos in the potential acquisition of Oi’s data centres under the judicial reorganisation proceedings.
- Advising TIM on the potential acquisition of Oi’s mobile telecommunication assets/business under the judicial reorganisation proceedings.
Tax > Customs Tier 1
Tax > Tax litigation Tier 1
Tax > Tax advisory Tier 1Pinheiro Neto Advogados‘ combination of size and dedicated expertise makes it one of the top firms in the market for complex tax issues. The firm handles contentious and non-contentious direct and indirect tax matters. It also fields seasoned lawyers in related areas such as customs, where partners including Mauro Berenholc and the Rio de Janeiro-based Carlos Henrique Tranjan Bechara have notable expertise, and social security, where Cristiane Ianagui Matsumoto and Marcos de Vicq de Cumptich have good reputations. Other key individuals include tax litigator Sérgio Farina Filho, one of the practice’s founders, and Ricardo Luiz Becker, who is especially strong on the tax structuring side. The versatile Luciana Rosanova Galhardo is also highly regarded.
‘Excellent combination between practical and theoretical knowledge, and real risk analysis.’
‘The office has high-capacity technical professionals who work very closely with the client to develop the best tax alternatives. It differs, because at the same time it manages to be a large office which allows it to generate synergy in complex jobs and the work is directly led by experienced lawyers.’
‘Luciana Galhardo is one of the best litigation professionals I know.’
‘In my opinion, Pinheiro Neto Advogados is the best full service office in Brazil. In the tax area, it supported us with excellence in the evaluation of complex and relevant transactions for the company. One of the firm’s differentials is that its partners are opinion makers in the legal world. The articles, reports and statements presented by the office effectively influence the course of the discussions.‘
‘Luiz Roberto Peroba and Ana Carpinetti can be considered the greatest tax specialists in the technology sector in the country. Their publications, in addition to being technically perfect, have a lot of reach and generate positive impressions for the theses in the telecommunications and media sector. Carlos Henrique Bechara and João Rafael Gandara – are respectively great partners/associate of law firms in Rio de Janeiro specialized in litigation. Both represented our company brilliantly in very relevant processes. They are extremely diligent, active in actions and tireless in obtaining the best results.’
Aché Laboratórios Farmacêuticos
IMC International Meal Company Alimentação
Tate & Lyle
Natura & Co
FMC Química do Brasil
GE Oil and Gas
- Acted as co-counsel to Construtora Norberto Odebrecht in administrative litigation against a R$4.2bn infraction notice issued by the Brazilian Federal Revenue Office (RFB).
- Successfully represented PDG Realty in administrative litigation against a R$4bn infraction notice issued by the Brazilian Federal Revenue Office (RFB).
- Successfully assisted Unilever in obtaining a second instance administrative decision from the Taxpayers Administrative Council (CARF) cancelling an infraction notice of R$3bn related to the Tax on Industrialised Goods (IPI).
Tax > Tax advisory Tier 1
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has recently been especially busy advising several clients, particularly in the healthcare, insurance and financial services industries, on different aspects of the recently enacted General Data Protection Law (LGPD), while also assisting others with their increasingly complex cybersecurity challenges, including data breaches and remediation actions. Social media networks also turn to the team for support with litigation involving privacy and free speech rights, intermediary liability for third-party content and disclosure of users' data. Ciro Torres Freitas is the main contact for data protection and cybersecurity matters. His experience covers compliance issues, data security incidents and lawsuits before the superior courts. André Zonaro Giacchetta is another key practitioner.
- Assisted Amazon and AWS with several consultations regarding Brazilian personal data protection norms, including the review of documents, agreements and procedures to ensure they comply with the Brazilian General Data Protection Law.
- Represented Facebook in a number of lawsuits filed in Brazil by users affected by actions taken by the company to combat coordinated inauthentic behaviours, seeking the reinstatement of their pages and profiles, and/or compensation for damages.
- Represents Facebook is a class action recently filed by a pharmacies’ association, seeking to reinstate some accounts of pharmacies that had been deactivated in WhatsApp for violation of its terms and policies.
‘The Pinheiro Neto team is extremely proactive and has a lot of knowledge on topics related to technology, innovation and digital business. They have a very good understanding of the challenges involved in launching new tech products.’
‘José Mauro Machado, Raphael di Cunto, Beatriz Landi, and Gustavo Ferrer are recommended.’
- Represented Facebook in two public civil actions filed by a private association in charge of consumer protection in the state of Maranhão.
- Assists major multinational pharmaceutical companies in their data privacy practices.
- Represents Twitter in all lawsuits involving the electoral period in Brazil since 2014.
With a 'focus on risk management' that is appreciated by clients, Pinheiro Neto Advogados' Brasília-based public law department acts for leading companies in the financial services, construction, mining and technology sectors, among others. Of particular note is the team's expertise in direct actions for declarations of unconstitutionality and administrative improbity lawsuits. The broader firm fields highly regarded teams specialising in white-collar criminal law, compliance, competition and investigations, which allows for multi-disciplinary, full-service advice, and the firm is well versed in leniency agreements. Mining and government relations specialist Carlos Vilhena, seasoned appellate litigators Vicente Coelho Araujo and Leonardo Rocha e Silva, and compliance, competition and litigation partner José Alexandre Buaiz Neto are among the key practitioners in Brasília. Senior associate Filipe Morais Cunha and São Paulo-based public law expert Ricardo Pagliari Levy are also key contacts.
‘Focus on solving the problem. Understanding customer demand. Legal advice with a focus on risk management.’
‘The specialisation and experience of the office in the regulation of the mining area are highlighted in our perspective.’
‘Carlos Vilhena: understanding customer demand and advice.’
‘Filipe Morais Cunha is recommended.’
Ero Copper Corp
Alstom Brasil Energia e Transporte
Great Panther Mining
Motion Picture Association America Latina
Mineração Rio do Norte
China Molybdenum Corp (CMOC)
ZF do Brasil (ZF)
- Acted for Conspiração Filmes in an administrative proceeding with the General Controllership of the Union (CGU).
- Acted for Mary Kay in a public civil inquiry initiated by the Federal Prosecutor’s Office.
- Represented Motion Picture Association America Latina as amicus curiae in a Direct Action for Declaration of Unconstitutionality filed by the Brazilian Association of Independent Television Producers – BRAVI.
City focus - Brasilia > Tax Tier 2
The 'extremely dynamic, efficient and effective' Brasília-based tax department at Pinheiro Neto Advogados has broad experience in complex tax litigation, where it represents leading national and multinational companies. Transfer pricing is a particular area of strength for the firm, which has recently handled a large number of transfer pricing-related disputes at both administrative and judicial levels. Counsel and tax expert Luiz Paulo Romano often takes a leading role in cases before CARF and the Supreme Federal Court, and works alongside key senior associate André Torres dos Santos. The firm's São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro-based tax lawyers are also active in cases in Brasília. Litigator Vicente Coelho Araujo is also noted.
‘Respect in the market, high level of knowledge and relationship, are engaged and are extremely dynamic, efficient and effective. People who are easy to deal with.’
‘Everyone we had contact with, without exception was very professional, polite and attentive. We can highlight Dr. Luiz Romano, Dr. Vicente Coelho and Dr. Andreia Mascitto (in SP). Competence, focus, sincerity, tolerance, creativity and loyalty.’
Ponto On Line
Brazil > Compliance Tier 2
Pinheiro Neto Advogados fields a sizeable and well-regarded compliance and corporate crimes team. The department particularly stands out for its experience in leniency agreements, and has also developed a strong practice in high-stakes investigations, where it regularly acts for leading companies operating in a broad range of industries. Improbity lawsuits are another area of specialism. As part of one of Brazil's largest law firms, the compliance team also benefits from its cross-departmental work with colleagues in M&A, capital markets and white-collar criminal law, and as such is equipped to advise on the compliance aspects of M&A and due diligence processes, among other areas. Key names in the department include anti-corruption, compliance and competition expert José Alexandre Buaiz Neto, public law and corporate compliance specialist Ricardo Pagliari Levy, litigator Vicente Coelho Araujo, white-collar criminal defence partner Mário Panseri Ferreira, and Daniel Costa Rebello, who has taken leading roles in major investigations and compliance due diligence.
‘The office stands out for the exceptional professionalism with which it conducts its activities. The office has a high level of competence and good service regardless of the partner or associate, always with a great deal of availability for care and a lot of knowledge of the cases given to their care.’
‘In the area of compliance, in particular, we have excellent experience with partners Bianca Pumar and Daniel Rebello.’
- Advogados advised EcoCarataras and Ecovia (from EcoRodovias Group) in the negotiation and execution of a leniency agreement with the Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office (MPF) in the state of Paraná.
- Assists Sugoi in an improbity lawsuit in which the company is being accused of harming the public treasury through agreements entered into with the municipality of Paulínia to develop an area.
- Assisting TÜV SÜD in its internal investigation into the certification of tailing dams in connection with the Brumadinho dam break that occurred in January 2019.
‘Pinheiro Neto stands out in the energy sector for having excellent professionals with knowledge of the sector, a multidisciplinary team that responds promptly and understands the client’s business. They always propose alternatives in order to make the execution of new businesses viable.’
‘José Roberto Oliva is recommended.’
Banco do Brasil
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES, Banco Citibank
Statkraft Energias Renováveis
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- Advised major banks in Brazil on the credit facility known as Conta-Covid, a mechanism created by the federal government to mitigate the impacts of the economic crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic on the electricity sector.
- Assisted VRTM in the acquisition of 14 wind projects in Northeast Brazil from Casa dos Ventos, with a total installed capacity of more than 400MW.
- Acted as legal counsel to Pátria and GIC in connection with their participation in the privatisation auction for the possible acquisition of CESP – Companhia Energética de São Paulo.
Brazil > Insurance Tier 2
'Multidisciplinary, technical and collaborative', Pinheiro Neto Advogados is noted for its advice to insurers, reinsurers and brokers on the full suite of regulatory, litigation, insurtech and corporate issues. Partners including Diogenes Mendes Gonçalves Neto have a particular focus on insurance litigation, while also assisting clients on related regulatory and transactional issues. Bruno Balduccini and Fernando Mirandez Del Nero Gomes have a notable track record advising financial services companies, including insurers, on corporate finance issues, including joint ventures and M&A. Another feather in the firm's cap is its considerable expertise in related healthcare matters, an area where Théra van Swaay de Marchi stands out. Senior associate Raíssa Lilavati Barbosa Abbas Campelo also receives praise.
‘Excellent quality of services.’
‘The Insurance team of Pinheiro Neto Advogados office is multidisciplinary, technical and collaborative. For those clients who need support there will be no failures in service, speed, and level of technicality.’
‘The insurance team is highly technical and has a good dialogue with the regulatory agent, which is essential when advising customers on how internal processes can be interpreted by the insurance regulators.’
‘As a standout in the insurance team, partner Diogenes Mendes Gonçalves Neto is distinguished by his ability to present in an executive and focused manner even the most technical and in-depth analyses. He has a high capacity for articulation and negotiation. Another highlight is Raissa Lilavati Campelo, as she is always available, in addition to having technical quality and knowledge in the insurance sector.’
‘Carlos Eduardo Azevedo and Raissa Lilavati Barbosa: they are helpful, thoughtful, fast, thorough and extremely technical. The responses from them are always broad, in-depth and complete.’
‘Diogenes Gonçalves and Fernando Mirandez Gomes are recommended.‘
Tokio Marine Seguradora
Pier Serviços Digitais/Seguradora
Amazon Serviços de Varejo do Brasil
B2W Companhia Digital
Creditas Soluções Financeiras
Aon and Willis Towers Watson
- Assisting the Brazilian fintech company Creditas and Icatu Seguros in structuring new insurance services and products provided in Creditas’ credit platform, with a focus on private pension plans.
- Advising Amazon in structuring the distribution of insurance products in its Brazilian marketplace platform under a hybrid distribution model.
- Assisted in the review and negotiation of the insurance clause of a 20-year-term rights of way agreement with Petrobras, on behalf of client Nova Transportadora do Sudeste and Brookfield Infraestrutura.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados is commended for its strong employment team, which offers a good blend of transactional, strategic and bespoke litigation expertise. Practice head Luís Antônio Ferraz Mendes has over 30 years' in the market and is especially active in high-stakes labour disputes and collective bargaining agreements. Thais Galo, a partner at the firm since 2009, is experienced in senior-level recruitment and dismissals, remuneration plans, as well as judicial and administrative disputes, and advice on M&A-related employment issues. Mauricio Froes Guidi is also building a good reputation, particularly for advice to companies in the finance and technology industries, with Amazon a key client.
Luís Antônio Ferraz Mendes
‘Exceptional firm, quality of service and super qualified staff.’
‘I appreciate the reputation of the firm and the personalized service and seniority of some members, especially Thais Galo who brings availability, knowledge and seniority.’
‘Manuela Mendes Prata and Natasha Ramos Soares are recommended.’
- Advised Gulfstream on all labour issues linked to the closure of its operation site in Brazil.
- Assisted Bradesco’s pension and life insurance arm (Bradesco Vida e Previdencia) in three labour lawsuits concerning pension plans for the top management.
- Advised Wex, a US-based payment processing company, on the dismissal of the top management committee of its Brazilian subsidiary, Unik.
The infrastructure practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados is best known for its broad capabilities in the project finance field, demonstrating strength in traditional and innovative funding transactions through public banks and through the use of the capital markets in local offerings of project debentures and international bond offerings. Of particular note, the practice has an impressive track record in financing deals involving the water supply and sewage sectors. On the project development front, it is well equipped to advise on bids, concessions of PPPs, administrative contracts, as well as regulatory issues pertaining to sanitation, railroads, highways and airports. Contentious matters arising from construction disputes are another strong point for the team. Júlio Bueno is a go-to counsel for multilateral agencies, financial institutions, contractors and developers engaged in infrastructure and construction projects. Thaís Fernandes Chebatt is noted for her knowledge of construction contracts and related disputes. Project finance is an area of specialism for Ricardo Coelho in Rio de Janeiro, while Ricardo Russo focuses on infrastructure-related transactions and project development. Named practitioners are based in São Paulo unless otherwise stated.
‘The firm is at the forefront of large infrastructure projects, with extensive experience in financial and capital market issues. The team always counts on the participation of the partners, bringing great security to the matters.’
‘I would like to highlight the work of Ricardo Russo, who has deep knowledge in financial matters, regulation of the capital market as well as regulated infrastructure sectors in general.’
Aguas Do Brasil
- Assisted Paranaguá Saneamento with the project financing for a water supply and sewage project by means of the issuance of infrastructure debentures.
- Advised the initial purchasers on the project finance of the largest railway system in Brazil held by concessionaire RUMO, through the issuance of $500m – 5.250% Senior Notes Due 2028 by Rumo Luxembourg.
- Advised Banco BNP Paribas Brasil, as underwriter, in relation to a bridge loan for the financing of a subway system in São Paulo, held by Concessionária Linha Universidade, through the issuance of debentures.
Brazil > Real estate Tier 2Pinheiro Neto Advogados‘ team of real estate partners combines an even mix of contentious, non-contentious and regulatory expertise. The disputes side of the practice is handled by Júlio César Bueno, who is especially experienced in construction, projects and procurement-related claims, and Luis Celso Cecilio Leite Ribeiro, who represents clients in environmental disputes (as well as advisory issues) and broader real estate litigation. This is complemented by the firm’s impressive transactional offering, which includes joint ventures, capital markets and financings, as well as development projects and sales and acquisitions. Key partners here include Luciano Garcia Rossi, who has practised at the firm for 30 years, and Franco Musetti Grotti, a partner since 2012. The department also has several well-regarded associates, including Marianna Morselli. Since publication, Fabio Pinto has been promoted to the partnership, effective January 2022.
‘The team’s strength is their deep expertise in real estate structures in the region and the ability to provide a tailored and precise advisory service in conjunction with their internal departments.’
‘The team was really committed with the transaction. They are well-qualified and prepared. Special attention to Martina Zajaoff and Guilherme Piza.’
‘The real estate team is one of the most respected in Brazil, serving investment funds and property companies in their real estate transactions in Brazil. Its history of decades acting in the most emblematic cases brings great comfort to the customer.’
‘Franco Grotti, for his attention, technical knowledge and perception of the customer’s needs.’
‘Fabio Pinto – Always available, technically brilliant and always involved in Brazilian legislative innovations, he is certainly a reference for us in real estate, both in transactions and in real estate financing.’
BSP Empreendimentos Imobiliários
TRG (The Rohatyn Group)
- Advised Carrefour and Imopar Participações on the renegotiation of a commitment to exchange part of a real estate property in São Paulo for future units to be developed by Odebrecht Group within the mixed-use complex Projeto Pinheiros.
- Advised Credit Suisse Hedging Griffo on the acquisition, from Goodman Group, of 100% of the shares of two companies holding logistics warehouses in Itupeva and Betim.
- Assisted Proterra Investment Partners, through its investment vehicles, in a structured acquisition of farmland in the state of Mato Grosso, intended for exploitation of agricultural crops, from GCAP – Grupo Carlos Alberto Polato.
Brazil > TMT: Media Tier 2
The media and entertainment law practice at Pinheiro Neto Advogados provides comprehensive advice on matters pertaining to the gaming, audiovisual and music streaming sectors. The team has strong capabilities in copyright litigation and is regularly instructed by studios and production companies in lawsuits involving IP rights infringement. Other notable areas of expertise include IP and commercial agreements, transactional issues, advertising law and regulatory matters. The tax group has also witnessed a recent increase in work related to the taxation of video on demand services. José Mauro Decoussau Machado specialises in IP litigation and transactional work. Gustavo Gonçalves Ferrer and Márcio Junqueira Leite are other key practitioners in the team, who focus on commercial litigation, IP, media and entertainment law.
NBC Universal Media
Universal Pictures Brazil
- Hired by NBC Universal Media to defend its interests in lawsuits filed by Brazilian dubbing actors, claiming the payment of an indemnification for the alleged unauthorised use of their voices on several films and TV series.
- Represents Amazon in two lawsuits filed by individuals who were portrayed in episodes of a docuseries called Criminal Investigation, which is currently available at Amazon Prime Video.
- Acts for Netflix in a suit filed by a church (Templo Planeta do Senhor), which is trying to have a movie (Mignonnes) removed from Netflix’s catalogue arguing that the movie promotes paedophilia and the sexualisation of children.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a multi-faceted private wealth practice, which can draw upon the firm's deep pool of experience in areas such as corporate law, tax and litigation. The team's main focus is on structuring assets in Brazil and abroad, including advice on wills, trusts, offshore companies and investment funds, estate planning, as well as philanthropic activities. Another strength is in highly sensitive family law matters, where Flávio Belliboni is especially experienced. Celso Cintra Mori is one of the lead partners on the disputes side, while Carlos Alberto Moreira Lima Junior regularly advises on M&A, wealth and estate planning, where the up-and-coming Pythagoras Carvalho is also developing a good name.
Celso Cintra Mori; Flavio Belliboni; Carlos Alberto Moreira Lima Junior; Pythagoras Carvalho
‘Pinheiro Neto’s wealth and succession planning team has consistently offered a composition that includes life-long solutions from a global legal point of view and in a way that has been fully accepted by customers.’
‘Good technical knowledge and availability.’
‘Pythagoras Carvalho is an excellent lawyer, great communicator and has good business orientation.’
‘Pythagoras Carvalho is a complete and mature lawyer: he knows the law and is sensitive in dealing with the client, in addition to not neglecting the strategic part of the cases in which he works. Gabriela Ghelman is a rising star who will certainly be one of the big names of the future in the Wealth area.’
‘I especially recommend the partner Marcos Ladeira who, in addition to demonstrating enormous knowledge in the field of corporate law, is an elegant and polite person – always trying to bring the best result to the client.’
Pinheiro Neto Advogados assists domestic and foreign clients operating in the oil and gas sector, commercial banks, service providers and equipment suppliers in a range of transactional, regulatory and contentious matters. Based in Rio de Janeiro, the group is seasoned in mandates pertaining to the upstream and downstream segments, and witnessed an uptick in contractual and regulatory work as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Marcelo Viveiros de Moura is the main point of contact for oil and gas clients, and demonstrates particular expertise in sector-related regulations and M&A deals involving hydrocarbon assets. Francisco Werneck de Albuquerque Maranhão and Marcello Lobo are other names to note for high-value transactions, chiefly financing deals and M&A with regulatory implications. Recently promoted partner Raphael Paciello is also noted for M&A transactions.
‘Excellent customer support, with great knowledge of the market. High responsiveness and effectiveness.’
‘Skills and availability.’
‘The Corporate and Oil & Gas practice led by Marcelo Moura is uniquely qualified in acting on the buy side in deals involving privatisation. Marcelo Moura and Raphael Paciello stand out in the Rio legal market in terms of experience and efficiency in providing legal solutions.’
‘Raphael Paciello is a rising star. He is always available and technically solid. Great knowledge of the energy sector.’
Mubadala Investment Company PJSC
Public Joint Stock Company Acron
Macquarie Brasil Participações
Mitsui Gás e Energia do Brasil, and Mitsui & Co
Nova Transportadora do Sudeste – NTS
Brookfield Asset Management
Compass Gás e Energia
New Development Bank – NDB
Mitsubishi Corporation do Brasil
MODEC Offshore Production Systems
- Assisted Mubadala Investment Company PJSC in the potential acquisition of 100% of Petrobras’s interests in a wholly owned subsidiary that will be set up to operate the Landulpho Alves refinery.
- Acted for Arcadis in the sale of its indirect equity interest in Arcadis Logos Energia to Porto de Cima Concessões, an entity of the JMalucelli group.
- Advised Macquarie Brasil Participações on the process to obtain a license to import and export fuels with the National Petroleum Agency – ANP, and in an administrative process.
Under the leadership of José Mauro Decoussau Machado, Pinheiro Neto Advogados offers advice in the context of complex IP litigation, contractual issues and administrative matters, most notably trade mark prosecution. The team is a go-to destination for international technology companies with operations in Brazil due to its practitioners' extensive cross-border experience. Márcio Junqueira Leite is highly regarded for his wide-ranging IP expertise. The 'extremely qualified' Carlos Strasburg focuses on litigation, which is also a key specialism for Tally Smitas. Gustavo Gonçalves Ferrer's key areas of practice include IP matters, technology, media and entertainment law.
José Mauro Decoussau Machado
‘Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a highly specialised team capable of dealing with Intellectual Property matters. The team has experienced and up-to-date lawyers, capable of providing efficient and satisfactory solutions according to the needs of clients. Pinheiro Neto’s differential is precisely the quality and capacity of the professionals who work there.’
‘José Mauro Decoussau Machado has extensive experience in intellectual property matters, a high level of knowledge and ability to meet the different the demands of a variety of clients.’
‘Márcio Junqueira Leite has extensive experience in intellectual property matters, notably those related to trademarks, patents, unfair competition and technology. He has a high level of technical knowledge in the field. Carlos Strasburg is an extremely qualified lawyer.’
Multisport Indústria, Comércio e Representações
General Motors do Brasil
Arthrex do Brasil Importação e Comércio de Equipamentos Médicos
Nu Pagamentos – Nubank
Grupo Newcomm – Y&R Publicidade
Amazon Serviços de Varejo do Brasil
CVC Brasil Operadora e Agência de Viagens
- Representing Multisport Indústria, Comércio e Representações in lawsuits with Speedo International, which claims that the SPEEDO trade mark would have been registered in bad faith by Multisport in the late 70s.
- Assisting Total in several strategic matters involving the TOTAL trade mark in Brazil, including prosecution issues and administrative cases.
- Acting for General Motors in a trade mark infringement lawsuit filed by Spinner Industria e Comércio do Brasil.
Brazil > Public law Tier 3
Covering both consultancy and litigation matters, Pinheiro Neto Advogados is equipped to lead advice on interactions with governmental entities and high-profile judicial cases involving public administration issues. The team is often retained by clients in the transport, sanitation, healthcare and defence sectors in relation to government tenders for public concessions, PPPs, privatisations and contract negotiations. Recently, the practice has been active in matters arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, advising on the execution of emergency contracts with the government and on the renegotiation of government contracts due to unforeseen circumstances. The public law team also took on a leading role in the firm's pro bono initiative assisting clients in the implementation of measures to help fight Covid-19, such as donations to the government and cooperation agreements. Ricardo Pagliari Levy is seasoned in administrative proceedings and public procurement. The latter is also a core area of activity for Fernando Rissoli Lobo Filho, who also showcases strength in regulatory issues. Other key individuals include Heloisa Figueiredo Ferraz and Marcello Alfredo Bernardes, who focuses on infrastructure projects and litigation.
‘Foreign companies that have operations in Brazil like ours will want expertise and experience of various legal areas even for a single case, which Pinheiro Neto is satisfactorily equipped with. I would recommend Ricardo Pagliari Levy.’
‘I believe that the availability to deal with relevant issues, as well as the understanding and vision of our business, and technical quality make them stand out.’
‘I highlight Ricardo Levy for his technical quality, availability and business vision and Heloisa Figueiredo for her advice and technical quality.’
- Advising State Grid and its Brazilian subsidiary CPFL in connection with the privatisation of Brasília’s power distribution company (CEB-D).
- Acting for Toyo Engineering Corporation and its Brazilian subsidiary in filing a writ of mandamus at the Supreme Federal Court in order to argue that the Federal Budget Audit Court does not have powers to take certain measures.
- Represents Concessionária da Rodovia Presidente Dutra in a lawsuit against the Federal Government and ANTT, in which the parties discuss economic-financial effects on the contract due to the increase of the legal limits of weight tolerance of the trucks.
Brazil > Transport: Aviation Tier 3
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a particular focus on transactional and regulatory matters in the aviation sector. The firm advises a number of leading carriers and has been involved in several key restructurings emerging as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Other key clients include major aircraft lessors, as well as banks, which it advises on aircraft financings (as well as subsequent restructurings, such as LATAM). Adolpho Julio de Carvalho has worked in the market for nearly 30 years and has established an extremely good name for aviation finance.
‘Extensive experience in the aviation market in Brazil, long-standing presence and participation in different types of transactions.’
‘Adolpho Carvalho has great experience.’
Airbus Financial Services
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
LATAM Airlines Group
Lombard North Central
Lease Corporation International
- Acted for Citibank on a revolving credit facility granted to LATAM Airlines Group secured by aircraft, engines and aeronautical spare parts owned by the debtor and located in Brazil.
- Acted as local counsel to the EETC investors in the termination of leases of two Airbus A350 and five Airbus A321 with LATAM Airlines Group.
- Acted as local counsel in the management of Lease Corporation International’s fleet in Brazil, including in the lease of two Sikorsky S76 to Emar Táxi Aéreo.
Brazil > Transport: Shipping Tier 3
Pinheiro Neto Advogados invariably has a strong offering on the non-contentious side. The team regularly advises shipowners, banks and port operators on the full spread of transactional matters, including financings, shipbuilding agreements and joint ventures. Partners such as Marcello Portes da Silveira Lobo and Ricardo Coelho are particularly active on this front. The firm also stands out on the litigation side, thanks to the expertise of Luis Claudio Furtado Faria, who comes highly recommended for representing clients in shipping disputes, including those involving charterparty claims and maritime incidents.
‘Pinheiro Neto provides a quality service to its clients. The differential is its business organisation, which meets various areas of law and, with this, allows to give the client a broader view of the issues.’
‘The team has real perception of the industry and is very responsive to the legal questions that are presented to them.’
‘Extremely skilled in all areas and with increasing activity in the areas of shipping / maritime law.’
‘Luiz Claudio Furtado Faria has great expertise in maritime law, a focus on results and is extremely dedicated to the causes in which he operates.’
Subsea 7 do Brasil Serviços
Mineração Rio do Norte
Saipem do Brasil Serviços de Petróleo
Mineração Rio do Norte
Sistac Sistemas de Acesso
IFC – International Finance Corporation
- Advised Oldendorff Carriers on all issues linked to the salvage operation for the Stellar Banner, a beached vessel carrying 300,000 tonnes of iron ore.
- Instructed by Subsea 7 to develop a plan to keep the commercial operation of the company’s vessels throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Saipem do Brasil Serviços de Petróleo on an investigation into a fire that occurred on the FPSO Cidade de Vitória, belonging to Saipem SPA and chartered to Petrobras.
At Pinheiro Neto Advogados, the white-collar criminal defence lawyers 'always act with great professionalism, ethics and integrity'. The firm's leading reputation in the Brazilian legal market, combined with the corporate criminal law team's strong experience in the field, make it a popular choice of legal counsel for major national and international companies and their executives. The highly regarded Mário Panseri Ferreira is responsible for the criminal law practice, and has a notable track record in representing clients in investigations and prosecutions by federal and state authorities across the country. Associate Natalia Genina Lugero de Almeida is also noted, as is antitrust and anti-bribery expert José Alexandre Buaiz Neto.
‘They are extremely qualified professionals and prepared to face the adversities that arise in the corporate environment. They always act with great professionalism, ethics and integrity.’
‘I highlight four extremely competent professionals: Dr. Mario Panseri, Dr. Natalia Lugero, Dr. Joamir Muller, Dr. José Alexandre Buaiz.’
China Three Gorges
- Defending a client in a high-profile criminal lawsuit involving environmental crimes.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados > Firm Profile
Pinheiro Neto Advogados is a Brazilian, independent and full-service firm specialising in multi-disciplinary deals, and was the first Brazilian law firm to specialise in corporate clients. Over more than 75 years, the firm translates the Brazilian legal environment for the benefit of local and foreign clients.
With clients in almost 80 countries, the firm has grown organically, and developed a distinctive, tight-knit culture, with a low associate-to-partner ratio. Its unique, democratic governance structure promotes transparency and consensus-building among the partners.
Innovation: With a focus on innovation, the firm has kept its competitive edge throughout the years, and is widely hailed as a beacon of the Brazilian legal market. Also, Pinheiro Neto is an affiliate of Stanford Law School’s Program in Law, Science & Technology (LST), which supports cutting-edge research, teaching and programme development.
Professionals: To remain as a valued strategic partner for its clients, the firm invests heavily in professional development, not only through strong on-the-job training, but also by means of the highly structured Pinheiro Neto Professional Development Programme, the first of its kind in Brazil. Pinheiro Neto encourages its attorneys to pursue international associate programmes and postgraduate studies (LLM, etc.) abroad. In addition, the firm’s lawyers can tap into the largest and most complete private legal library in Brazil.
Social responsibility: Pinheiro Neto Advogados was the first Brazilian law firm to be certified as carbon neutral; the first Brazilian law firm to join the country’s largest social investors in the Group of Outreach Institutions, Foundations and Companies (GIFE); and the first Brazilian law firm to be recognised by the state of São Paulo diversity accreditation body (Selo Paulista da Diversidade). The firm’s pioneering pro bono programme has compensated professionals for their involvement in social causes since 2009.
Clients:The firm advises and represents both local and international clients in a broad range of sectors, including automotive, banking and financial services, construction and materials, energy and natural resources, environment and waste management, health care, oil and gas, real estate and technology.
Geographical reach: The firm has correspondents throughout Brazil, and has developed close and solid working relationships with first-tier law firms around the world.
- Chambers Latin America Awards: Brazil Law Firm of the Year (2021).
|firstname.lastname@example.org||+55 (11) 3247-8400|
|Marcello Bernardes||Partner.||View Profile|
|Luis Claudio Furtado Faria||Partner.||View Profile|
|Ricardo Coelho||Partner.||View Profile|
|Marcello Lobo||Partner.||View Profile|
|Raphael Moraes Paciello||Partner.||View Profile|
|Emir Nunes de Oliveira Neto||Partner.||View Profile|
|Bianca Pumar||Partner.||View Profile|
|Carlos Henrique Tranjan Bechara||Partner.||View Profile|
|Marcelo Viveiros de Moura||Partner.||View Profile|
|Francisco Werneck Maranhão||Partner.||View Profile|
|Francisco Werneck Maranhão||Partner.||View Profile|
|Marcos de Vicq de Cumptich||Partner.||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 114 Other fee-earners : 700 Total staff : 1000
LanguagesPortuguese Spanish French German Italian Japanese English
MembershipsIBA (International Bar Association)
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- City focus - Brasilia > Litigation
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- International trade
- Life sciences
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Tax > Customs
- Tax > Tax litigation
- Tax > Tax advisory
- Tax advisory
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- City focus - Brasilia > Tax
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity (and renewable energy)
- Labour and employment
- Projects and infrastructure
- Real estate
- TMT: Media
- Wealth and succession planning