Winston & Strawn LLP > London, England > Firm Profile
Winston & Strawn LLP Offices
Level 33, 100 Bishopsgate
Winston & Strawn LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsWinston & Strawn LLP’s 'international arbitration team is absolutely first-rate'. The firm's London office acts as the coordinating hub for major international disputes across Europe and the Middle East, as well as the US, Latin America and Asia. International arbitration chair Michael Stepek is ‘the standout partner without a doubt‘; Matthew Bate is a US-trained trial lawyer with longstanding experience as counsel in international arbitration proceedings; Ben Bruton is 'a first-class lawyer'; and Daniel Meagher acts in both commercial and investor-state arbitrations. Suzanne Labi, Jake White, Freya MacCormack, Juliette Huard-Bourgois and Agustin Spotorno are the associates to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The international arbitration team is absolutely first rate. It provides a high-quality service with strong depth.’
‘A deep bench of talent with great resources.’
‘The standout partner without a doubt is Michael Stepek. He has over three decades of experience in international arbitration and it shows. He is able to understand the essence of any dispute very early on, and to come up with a strategy that will get the best result for his client.’
‘Michael Stepek’s work is always timely and his bills are fair. He is one of the most persuasive lawyers around.’
‘Ben Bruton is a first-class lawyer. He is highly respected and sought after for international commercial arbitrations.’
‘Ben Bruton is completely committed to his clients, all of whom trust him completely and have complete confidence in his advice and strategy. He is a fantastic team player, provides commercial and sound advice, and is able to cut through the issues to get to the heart of the dispute.’
‘Jake White is a great asset to every case. He is exceptionally bright, and able to provide comprehensive, but commercial, advice. His written work is brilliant, and he is very friendly and approachable.‘
‘This team’s core strength is getting results. They think creatively and understand the commercial aspects of any dispute completely. They come up with strategies that other firms, which think less creatively, miss.’
Food Delivery Holding 12
Dominion Minerals Corp
- Achieved a victory for Delivery Hero in a €3bn bet-the-company shareholder dispute to determine ownership and control of Hungerstation, an online food delivery operator in the Middle East.
- Achieved victory for Dominion Minerals Corp in its claims, brought pursuant to the Treaty between the US and the Republic of Panama, concerning the Treatment and Protection of Investments (arising out of an investment in a copper and gold concession).
- Representing two scions of the oldest private banking family in Geneva, in an arbitration proceeding against all the former partners of the private bank.
Abercross Holdings Ltd.
Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
Chart Industries, Inc.
Financial Acquisitions Corp.
Heads Up Technologies
Luby Capital Management
Mark R. Walter
May River Capital, LLC
Motorola Solutions, Inc.
Water Street Healthcare Partners
- Represented Mark Walter in connection with the multi-billion-dollar acquisition of Fordstam Limited, the owner of Chelsea Football Club.
- Represented Chart Industries in connection with its multi-billion-dollar acquisition of UK-based fan manufacturer Howden from KPS Capital Partners.
- Represented Motorola Solutions, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Ava Security Limited and its subsidiaries.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ian Borman and Daniela Cohen are fantastic and always up to date on market trends and able to advise on how a proposed deal is being priced compared to other peers.’
‘Knowledgeable, transparent, available.’
BMO Harris Bank, N.A.
Capdesia Group Ltd.
East West Bank
- Continuing to advise Capdesia Group Limited’s on the investment in Wasabi Sushi & Bento including £30m secured loan notes, and intercreditor arrangement with HSBC.
Transport > Aviation Tier 4Winston & Strawn LLP‘s aviation practice specialises in litigation in the aviation sector, while also offering advice on commercial and regulatory matters, covering restructuring and insolvency, including Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and M&A. Mark Moody leads the team, representing airlines, lessors and financial institutions in disputes and also providing asset financing assistance. Ben Bruton and Daniel Meagher are noted for their international disputes and arbitration work.
‘The team has a strong presence in the aviation market.’
‘They are familiar with the way the market operates.’
‘Daniel Meagher is a great aviation lawyer with tons of litigation experience.’
European Export Agencies
Paul Amiss; Nicholas Usher
Other key lawyers:
Abercross GP Limited
Biotex Medical Device Fund I LP
Bregal Investments Inc.
Capdesia Group Limited
Financial Acquisitions Corp
JLL Partners LLC
May River Capital LLC
Tiger Infrastructure Partners, LP
- Represented Sentry Centers Holdings (dba Convene) in connection with its acquisition of UK-based peer venues.
- Represented UK PE group SunCap Limited on its acquisition of Adventure Forest LLC for an approximate enterprise value of $38 million.
- Represented Bregal Investments, Inc. in its acquisition and financing of portfolio company, State of Play.
‘Peter Crowther is one of the best competition lawyers we have worked with. He has an excellent analytical mind and great communication skills to make the most complex legal issues sound easy and manageable in practice.’
‘Peter Crowther is extremely hard working and a creative thinker. He is very experienced in handling challenging CMA investigations.’
‘The team is proactive, thoughtful, attentive and available. Always ready and willing to help, always bringing creative solutions to our legal/competition issues in the EU and UK.’
‘Peter Crowther has been an outstanding advisor and partner to our company. His ability to think creatively, but still through the lens of solutions that make practical and economic sense, is outstanding. He also consistently makes you feel like you are his most important client.’
Hitachi Metals Ltd.
Professional Footballers’ Association
Liberty Specialty Markets
Silgan Holdings, Inc.
- Advising Motorola Solutions, Inc. in connection with the CMA’s market investigation of the Airwave network.
- Advising a worldwide leader in consumer electronics in relation to a complex cartel investigation relating to electronic commodity products.
- Advising Chart Industries on the merger control aspects of its USD 4.4 billion acquisition of Howden Industries.
‘Ben Bruton is an exceptional lawyer in this area. Extremely knowledgeable and sharp’
‘Ben Bruton has a fighting spirit, and a cool, calm demeanor. Ben will evaluate a claim from every angle, understand all its strengths and weaknesses, and will then leave no stone unturned in preparing work product for such claim that is head and shoulders above the competition.
‘Dan Meagher is the most level-headed lawyer with gets to grips with his cases and brings a deep understanding of litigation to his clients.’
‘An outstanding team of international litigators with particular US and Dubai experience, have a depth of experience and judgment that sets them apart. Also very good at coordinating and working collaboratively with lawyers in multiple jurisdictions.’
‘Ben Bruton is a class act, very astute, very good under pressure, very easy to deal with.
‘Jake White is an extremely promising associate.’
‘Ben Bruton is the main partner we work with and someone I value very much as a trusted advisor. I have also worked closely with Jake White. Jake is a really hands-on and dedicated associate who really works well with Ben.’
Other key lawyers:
- Represented the European Export Credit Agencies on the long-term restructuring of the financing of their entire fleet of aircraft with LATAM Airlines Group S.A.
- Represented CIAF Leasing on the financing and leasing of three Embraer E190-00-LR aircraft, leased to EgyptAir and subleased to Air Cairo.
- Represented Aviation Capital Group, as servicer of the MACH 1 securitisation portfolio – a high complex asset-backed securitisation financing structure involving numerous aircraft, in connection with an engine exchange transaction with Rolls-Royce & Partners Financing involving several aircraft engines.
United States > Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices Tier 3With strong core product liability expertise and also able to provide enhanced resources by virtue of its accomplished commercial litigation team, Winston & Strawn LLP has the strength-in-depth to handle large-scale MDLs and class actions for life sciences clients throughout the litigation process. The firm has a successful record both at first instance and at an appellate level, an approach that has elicited excellent results at an early stage through effective dispositive motions and in trials before juries. Although he is best-known for his work on patent-related disputes, esteemed trial lawyer George Lombardi has also had numerous victories in jury trials in product liability matters, as has San Francisco-based team head Sandra Edwards .
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Tauber; Matthew Campbell; George Lombardi; Christopher Essig; Scott Ahmad; Matt Saxon; Bryce Cooper; Sharon Desh; Rand Brothers; Reid Smith; Francie Berger
Otsuka America Pharmaceutical
- Representing Abbott Laboratories in a series of more than 36 product liability lawsuits, filed by over 100 plaintiffs and spanning more than ten jurisdictions, alleging that cow milk-based preterm infant formula products cause a naturally occurring gastrointestinal disorder in premature infants.
- Representing Hikma in the national opiate litigation–totaling more than 700 separate cases, which includes a sprawling multi-district proceeding consolidated in Ohio federal court and various state court actions, and are active in joint defence groups for In re National Prescriptions Opiate litigation.
- Representing OAPI and OPC in an MDL in the Northern District of Florida and various state court actions, involving allegations by more than 4,000 plaintiffs that Abilify®, an atypical antipsychotic medication, causes impulse-control disorders.
|Partner (Chair of International Arbitration)
|London Office Managing Partner
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: Lower Mid-Market Deals, £100m-£750m
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Transport > Aviation
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Finance > Transport finance and leasing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- United States > Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: pharmaceuticals and medical devices