White & Case LLP > Beijing, China > Firm Profile
White & Case LLP Offices
19th Floor, Tower 1 of China Central Place
81 Jianguo Lu, Chaoyang District
Beijing Shi 100025
White & Case LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsWhite & Case LLP‘s China banking and finance team is widely regarded as a go-to practice for debt finance transactions in Asia. Executive partner of the Beijing office, David Li, is highly rated by the Greater China market for major financing mandates. Shanghai-based senior consultant Frank Shu regularly advises on the financing of privatisations of Chinese companies and large-scale cross-border property acquisition and financing transactions. The principal figures to note in Hong Kong are Eugene Man, who heads the Asia-Pacific debt finance and restructuring practices; and Baldwin Cheng, whose recent experience includes major pan-Asian financings for both sponsors and debt financiers. In November 2020, the firm expanded its global debt finance practice through the hire of Hong Kong partner Daniel Abercromby from Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
‘Very commercial, with great market knowledge and attention to detail.‘
‘Strength in depth – excellent partners and strong associates.‘
‘Very commercial. They focus on getting the deal done, and not on irrelevant negotiations.‘
‘Very much a safe pair of hands with excellent technical skills and product knowledge – also commercial and responsive.‘
‘Eugene Man is extremely professional, yet equally client focused, creative and problem-solving oriented.‘
‘Eugene Man is very responsive, very commercial, and builds strong client relationships – also gets fully involved in deals.‘
China CITIC International Bank
CITIC Capital (renamed as Trustar Capital)
China Minsheng Banking Corp
- Advised CITIC Capital (renamed as Trustar Capital), the private equity and alternative investment arm of Chinese conglomerate CITIC Group, on the financing surrounding its $770m acquisition of most of the assets of GNC Holdings through its portfolio company, Harbin Pharmaceutical Group.
- Advised China CITIC International Bank (and the syndicate banks) on the amendment and extension of a $1bn mezzanine facility for an Australian subsidiary of Tianqi Lithium Corporation, which involved restructuring proposals.
- Advised Logan Group Company on term loan facilities.
‘White & Case’s M&A team has been expanding and building up its capacity in recent years.’
Nestlé S.A. / Nestlé Waters
Magna International Inc.
Schneider Electric Foundries LLC
China Molybdenum Co., Ltd.
EOG Resources, Inc.
Sony Corporation of America
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Duke Street Capital Limited
GlobalWafers Co., Ltd
Special Committee of Cellular Biomedicine Group, Inc.
BVCF Management Ltd.
Novasep Holding SAS
- Advised Nestlé Waters, the no.1 bottled water company worldwide, on the sale of its water business in the mainland China to Tsingtao Brewery Group Company Limited, China’s second-largest beer maker, including the sale of its mainland China Pure Life brand.
- Acted for Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Sony Corporation, in its investment of approximately US$400m in Bilibili Inc., a China-based provider of online entertainment services, through subscription of new shares.
- Assisted Magna International Inc., a leading automotive manufacturer and supplier, with its acquisition of a majority stake in HLZX Group, a leading automotive seat supplier in China.
‘The team is experienced in working with both SOEs and international financial institutions. The lawyers have a deep understanding of the energy industry and regional market.’
‘The team is able to provide effective legal opinions and easy to understand explanations.’
‘Information is very effectively shared between offices.’
‘David Li is excellent at converting business/commercial points into legal language. He can communicate well with all stakeholders and provide solutions when negotiations are tense.’
Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco)
China Molybdenum (CMOC)
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
United Energy Group
- Advised the financiers on a landmark $20bn project financing of Mozambique’s first onshore LNG development, Mozambique LNG.
- Advised SIBUR Holding, Russia’s leading petrochemicals company, on the disposal of a minority interest in Amur Gas Chemical Complex to China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (Sinopec).
- Advised Sempra Energy on the sale of its equity interests in its Chilean businesses to State Grid International Development Limited (SGID), and on the sale of its equity interests in its Peruvian businessesto China Yangtze Power International (Hong Kong) Co., Limited.
CMC Capital Partners
Audit Committee of Hebron Technology
Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics
- Represented the audit committee of Hebron Technology on an internal investigation regarding allegations of undisclosed related party transactions.
- Advised Shenzhen Mindray on the global assessment and update of its compliance and internal controls.
‘The firm has been expanding its capacity and capabilities to become a full service firm for PE clients, including building up its debt financing capabilities.‘
‘Alex Zhang is without question one of the best deal lawyers on this planet, and certainly in China. He has developed a transaction team that also reflects his superb commercial sense in getting a transaction completed, be it financing for our portfolio companies (many of which retain him after the transaction), or in completing a merger/acquisition deal.‘
‘Alex Zhang is efficient, provides invaluable counsel and has tremendous commercial sense, which is invaluable towards achieving the goal of successfully closing a transaction.‘
‘In my 16 years in China, there is not another corporate lawyer that comes close to Alex Zhang in ability and/or stature in the industry. He is a superb negotiator and counsel.‘
‘Our firm has worked with Daniel Yeh for years, who has been very pragmatic and effective in resolving issues.‘
‘Paul Tang is detail-oriented and very knowledgeable about China-related issues.‘
- Advised CIC Capital Corporation, as deal and regulatory counsel, on its co-investment in the $200m Series A financing of Esco Lifesciences Group.
- Advised NetEase on its equity investment in AIVA Technologies, a company that designs and develops AIVA, an artificial intelligence music composer.
‘Excellent in compliance business.’
‘ Bingna Guo is able to provide service with excellent experience and timely feedback.’
China Cinda (HK) Asset Management
China Development Bank
China Exim Bank
Ernst & Young Transactions
Feilong Nonwoven Machinery
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- Represented China Cinda on the enforcement of transaction documents made under a loan financing to Hong Kong-based Linca Industry Holdings Company.
- Represented China Development Bank, China Exim Bank and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China on a payment default under certain existing facility agreements.
- Represented Ernst & Young Transactions Limited and EY Cayman Ltd in the discharge of their duties as liquidators.
White & Case LLP > Firm Profile
White & Case is an international law firm that serves companies, governments and financial institutions. Our long history as a global firm means we are uniquely placed to help our clients resolve their most complex legal challenges wherever they are.
Learn about the breadth of our industry experience
Explore how we deliver results for our clients
Discover where we work with our clients globally
Trends in German commercial litigationClimate change, data protection and cybersecurity litigation, as well as collective redress, are major trends and will have significant impact on key industries in Germany.
United States: Merger Control
Published: October 2021
Authors: Anna Kertesz Daniel Rosenthal Heather Greenfield Tamer Nagy
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Merger Control laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
Mexico: Renewable Energy
Published: May 2022
Authors: Francisco de Rosenzweig José Daniel Franco
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Renewable Energy laws and regulations that may occur in Mexico.
France: Restructuring & Insolvency
Published: June 2022
Authors: Saam Golshani Alexis A. Hojabr Alice Leonard Amélie Jungbluth Ophélie Clain
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Restructuring & Insolvency laws and regulations that may occur in France.
United States: Environment
Published: January 2022
Authors: Seth Kerschner Taylor Pullins Brittany Curcuru
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Environment laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
Germany: Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters
Published: August 2022
Authors: Markus Langen Dominik Stier Kristof Waldenberger
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters laws and regulations that may occur in Germany.
Mexico: Banking & Finance
Published: March 2022
Authors: Carlos Mainero Andrés Mosqueira Wilbert Luna Arellanes Viridiana Alanis
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Banking & Finance laws and regulations that may occur in Mexico.
Published: February 2022
Authors: Juan Antonio Martín Vicente Corta Simon Micha
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Securitisation laws and regulations that may occur in Mexico.