Perkins Coie LLP > San Francisco, United States > Firm Profile
Perkins Coie LLP Offices
180 TOWNSEND STREET, 3RD FLOOR
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94107-1909
Perkins Coie LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsPerkins Coie LLP‘s comprehensive practice has an impressive track record for advising fintech companies on the full suite of related matters. The bulk of the firm’s clients are established and start-up technology providers, though it also represents venture capital investors and financial institutions. The team offers good expertise on the transactional, regulatory, litigation and compliance front, and ‘provides grounded legal advice in a manner that is implementable and executable by client legal and compliance teams‘. A major string to the firm’s bow is its longstanding focus on cryptocurrency and blockchain, regularly helping established clients as the technology enters the mainstream. The fintech industry group is co-chaired by Joe Cutler and Dax Hansen in Seattle and New York’s Dana Syracuse. Clients also rate the ‘highly responsive‘ Seattle-based counsel Steve Merriman, who ‘digs deep into issues to provide practical legal advice‘. Emerging companies and venture capital co-chair Troy Foster in Silicon Valley ‘always has solid insights‘.
Dana Syracuse; Joe Cutler; Dax Hansen
‘The Perkins team provides grounded legal advice in a manner that is implementable and executable by client legal and compliance teams. Key capabilities include virtual assets, MSB licensing, AML/BSA, and OFAC/sanctions support.’
‘Steve Merriman – One of the most value-add attorneys I have ever worked with. Understands data, information, and systems related to regulatory risk. Digs deep into issues to provide practical legal advice. Highly responsive. Carolyn White – Has successfully dealt with a higher variety and complexity of compliance and regulatory issues than any associate I have observed.’
‘Even for a large law firm, they have a personal touch. I have worked with their corporate law, litigation, employment, IP, non-profit, tax, and other lawyers. They are always knowledgeable, professional, and to the point.’
‘I work with Troy Foster, who always has solid insights and if he doesn’t know the answer off the top of his head (which is rare), he’s quick to get in touch with someone within the firm who can help.’
- Strategic legal support to Microsoft in connection with the development and launch of a blockchain platform that manages supply chains for high-value server commodities and other goods.
- Advising clients on non-fungible tokens since 2017 and presenting on the topic since 2018.
- Providing the cryptocurrency company Anchorage with regulatory guidance, including discussions with and filing with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, to receive a federal charter – obtained in early 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Zinman; Lee Richards; Shari Brandt; Keith Miller; David Massey; Rowan Gaither; Paul Devlin
‘Lee Richards and Shari Brandt stand out as high-quality and hard-working professionals.’
‘Lee Richards is calm, experienced and thoughtful, bringing weight to any case.’
‘Shari Brandt is dynamic, thorough and very hard working.’
‘Paul Devlin is user friendly and professional.’
‘Excellent substantive knowledge and fantastic judgment.’
‘They are great advocates who really care about their clients.’
‘Lee Richards has outstanding judgment.’
‘Lee Richards is an excellent lawyer; he has a great temperament and bedside manner with clients.’
ICAP plc, ICAP Europe Limited
Tullett Prebon plc
Ohio State University
Torneos y Competencias S.A.
- Representing ICAP in a settlement with US and UK regulators over its alleged role in Yen LIBOR rate manipulation, as well as in continued open investigations with European regulators.
- Publicly retained by The Ohio State University (OSU) in April 2018 to lead an independent investigation into sexual misconduct allegations raised against a former OSU doctor.
- Representing Torneos y Competencias S.A. (Torneos), an Argentine sports broadcasting and production company, in the prosecution and investigation of FIFA officials and others, which alleges bribery and racketeering in connection with the acquisition and sale of rights to major worldwide soccer tournaments.
Kirk Soderquist; Jason Schneiderman; John Delaney
Other key lawyers:
Meeka Bondy; Nicholas Davis; Andrew Grant; Ron Koo; Ali Mirsaidi; Divya Taneja
‘We have had a long relationship with Perkins’ interactive entertainment group, who has provided valuable counsel to us on various licensing and transactional matters for our projects. They have a diverse team with different strengths and expertise, and they have been flexible when it comes to our needs.’
‘Perkins offers strong full-service support across a wide range of technology-focused practice areas. They have become my go-to firm when a new tech-focused initiative crops up and I need to find a capable specialist on short notice.’
‘The team has a deep knowledge of the music and entertainment space, including in considering current matters impacting the industry (technology and otherwise).’
‘Kirk Soderquist and Andrew Grant have been very helpful to us. Both are easy to work with, providing practical, prompt advice, while not breaking the bank on billing.’
‘Kirk Soderquist stands out as a go-to partner and collaborative problem-solver. His broad-area experience and willingness to spread the work around to other capable attorneys makes him a very effective client lead. Chris Stanton and Andrew Grant have also done quality work this year helping us navigate new and novel company initiatives.’
‘Thoughtful, well considered and practical advice.’
Big Fish Games
Rush Street Interactive
Aristocrat Leisure Limited
The Pokemon Company International
- Represented Epic Games in its acquisition of Harmonix and in agreements with AMC.
- Represented Daybreak Game Company in its acquisition by Enad Global 7.
- Represented Microsoft Corporation in its acquisition of ZeniMax Media Inc. at $7.5bn.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Sprint Corporation and T-Mobile on the implementation and interpretation of a regulated services contract.
- Acting as regulatory counsel to Facebook, Inc. on global connectivity and telecoms partnership programs.
- Advising Alliant Energy on several transactions regarding FCC spectrum proceedings and initiatives.
Troy Foster; Matt Oshinsky
‘I really appreciate the team’s knowledge of the VC investing environment to help us focus on what matters, protect the company, and close transactions.’
‘Lee Schindler has a way of always staying on top of the issues, and being a resource when we need strategic, senior advice on stickier issues. He is a great trusted advisor to the company.’
‘Michael Avent: junior partner on our account. Mike is extremely responsive and has really helped balance the company, getting the timely advice we need and pushing to drive turnaround to meet demanding short timelines. Jamie Nicole Johnson, associate, has built a knowledge and familiarity of our company, so that we have the confidence that we’re getting the advice tailored to our situation, with a focus on delivering on time quality work.’
Informed Data Systems d.b.a. OneDrop
Zipstorm d.b.a. SeekOut
nZero Labs, Inc. dba On Deck
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions