D'Empaire > Caracas, Venezuela > Firm Profile
EDIFICIO BANCARACAS, P.H
PLAZA LA CASTELLANA
D'Empaire > The Legal 500 RankingsD'Empaire routinely advises international and domestic financial institutions on regulatory issues and complex transactions, including asset-backed loans, real estate transactions, syndicated loans and foreign exchange transactions. In addition, the team is experienced in bond issuances and debt restructurings. Fulvio Italiani and Carlos Omaña, who specialises in restructurings and sovereign debt matters, lead the practice. As the only Venezuelan member at the International Insolvency Institute, Roland Pettersson is also a notable contact. Associate Miguel Zajía focuses on financing transactions and sovereign debt offerings.
Fulvio Italiani; Carlos Omaña
Daiwa Securities Group
- Represented Barclays, BNP Paribas, Daiwa Securities Group and JP Morgan in connection with Corporacion Andina de Fomento’s (CAF) $1bn 1.25% notes due 2024.
- Advised Coca-Cola Femsa in connection with the Venezuelan regulation regarding the public offering of securities.
‘A great firm that covers the socio-political and economic situation in its advice and isn’t limited to the law. In addition to this, the team is totally cross-functional, which gives us peace of mind that the advice cover the entire spectrum of the matter to be reviewed.’
‘Costs are affordable and each of the firm’s attorneys has general knowledge regardless of their area of expertise.’
‘Their responses are always quick. Even if the lawyer in charge of the case is absent, other partners can back him or her up without the frustration of having to repeat our explanations. They worked seamlessly with us as a team, even during the lockdown, including receiving and dispatching legal documents physically.’
‘Their comprehension and interpretation of our problems and needs are excellent. They were able to detect requirements which we ourselves were not aware of, and give us appropriate advice.’
Fivenca Casa de Bolsa
Visa International Services Association
- Acted as Venezuelan counsel to Grupo Werthein on its acquisition of digital entertainment services company Vrio from AT&T.
- Acted as Venezuelan counsel to Platinum Equity on its $4.2bn acquisition of environmental services provider Urbaser from China Tianying.
- Assisting Lumen as Venezuelan counsel in the $2.7bn sale of its Latin American business to Stonepeak.
Fulvio Italiani; Carlos Omaña; Arnoldo Troconis; Roberto Mas
Petrolera RN (formerly Rosneft)
Maurel & Prom
- Advising Repsol on its joint ventures with PDVSA.
Alejandro Disilvestro; Victorino Márquez
‘The D’Empaire team has timely and up-to-date knowledge on labour matters. The service they provide to the client is excellent, and this is reflected in the quality of the advice that they deliver and the follow-up they provide to any questions.’
‘The service we have received from Victorino Márquez is unbeatable. His response times are excellent and the advice he provides us with is clear and very timely. He even goes beyond the specific doubts that we raise, and discusses policy, modifications to the legislation and even publicity issues that may have an impact on our operation.’
LVMH Perfumes and Cosmetics
Maurel & Prom
Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Caracas, Venezuela
Embassy of Spain in Caracas, Venezuela
- Advising Bimbo on labour law issues regarding its operations in Venezuela.
- Advised Copa Airlines on the employment aspects of restructuring its operations in Venezuela, including handling a misclassification claim brought against the airline by its former legal adviser.
- Assisted Hino Motors with a sensitive matter regarding the termination of the contracts of several employees.
Jose Valentin Gonzalez; Jose Humberto Frias
‘This office remains at the forefront of legal knowledge and jurisprudence. Their teams of lawyers are studious, prepared and attentive. They stay up-to-date on technological tools. They provide excellent legal advice.’
‘They are lawyers who always explain all the elements involved in a given case, in an ethical and professional manner. They always act with honesty, professionalism and dedication.’
Radio Caracas Television (RCTV)
Radio Caracas Radio (RCR)
- Providing regulatory advice to RCR on its operations as an online radio after the renewal of its broadcasting licence was denied by the Venezuelan government, as well as to RCTV on certain content matters.
Alberto Benshimol; Humberto Romero-Muci
‘Highly regarded, knowledgeable lawyers.’
‘The lawyers are highly specialised and stand out for their technical knowledge. A practical team focused on customer service.’
Development Bank of Latin America (CAF)
The Kraft Heinz Company
- Advising Bayer’s Venezuelan subsidiary in connection with the tax implications of its operations, including VAT, customs and income tax matters.
- Advising Weatherford in connection with its activities in the Venezuelan energy sector.
- Advised The Kraft Heinz Company on the tax implication of certain transactions and of restructuring its Venezuelan subsidiary.
José Humberto Frías; Pedro Perera
‘The D’Empaire team is one that is fully integrated, even with different areas of expertise. There is an admirable synergy in the way they work, communication is especially good between them and they do everything possible to collaborate with each other, which gives the client the benefit of a series of comprehensive solutions that cover issues outside the main area of consultation, preventing future problems in many cases and without a doubt providing more appropriate and better options. Similarly, this synergy greatly facilitates interdisciplinary work for the client: everyone is always aware of the client’s cases, which makes the service much more efficient.’
‘The lawyers of the firm are not only professionals and well known in their disciplines, but they are also characterised by their cordial and friendly treatment of clients. From the partners to the junior lawyers, they are always available, regardless of the time, to support the client. Speed, quality, professionalism and an excellent client service makes them stand out!’
‘José Humberto Frias has great knowledge and, above all, a lot of common sense when assisting in contentious matters. He is practical but at the same time technical, as well as being very efficient in providing assistance.’
‘Extraordinary analytical ability and a quality of service that is on par with top international firms in New York and London.’
‘Jose Humberto Frias is an outstanding lawyer, certainly one of the best in Venezuela. He has exceptional analytical skills and his drafting is extraordinary.’
Luis García Armas
Dick Abanto Ishivata
Fernando Fraiz Trapote
Serafín García Armas and Karina García Armas
Radio Caracas Televisión (RCTV)
- Asssiting Smurfit Kappa with the ICSID arbitration over the nationalisation of its Venezuelan operation (Carton de Venezuela and subsidiaries).
- Assisting Liberty Mutual with the two arbitration proceedings relating to its exit from Venezuela.
- Assisting Dick Abanto Ishivata with the ICSID additional facility arbitration relating to the seizure of the claimant’s stake in a telecoms company holding several licences.
Venezuela > Real estate Tier 2The wide-ranging real estate practice at D'Empaire has expertise in the office, industrial, retail and hospitality sectors. The team advises on the sale and acquisition of properties, as well as the financing and construction of real estate developments. Clients include real estate investment funds and private equity firms, which the team assists with their Venezuelan projects. At the head of the practice, Ines Parra and Roberto Mas handle major real estate transactions.
Inés Parra; Roberto Mas
- Assisted Tetra Pak, a leading food processing and packaging solutions company, in the sale of its manufacturing plant located in the state of Carabobo, Venezuela, to a local investor.
D'Empaire > Firm Profile
D’Empaire is one of the top tier Venezuelan law firms. It enjoys a reputation as the leading M&A, securities, finance, tax and competition law firm in Venezuela. In addition, D’Empaire has strong energy, litigation, arbitration, environmental and labour practices. It is the law firm of choice for complex matters in all sectors of the economy and fields of law.
D’Empaire received the Chambers Venezuela Law Firm of the Year award of 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, and the Chambers Clients Service Award of 2011 and 2014. D’Empaire partner Fulvio Italiani was awarded the Chambers Outstanding Contribution to the Legal Profession in 2013. D’Empaire is listed as one of the Latin Lawyer Elite Firms, profiling the leading Latin American law firms.
D’Empaire’s consistently ranked in the top tier by Chambers & Partners and The Legal 500 in the following practice areas:
- Banking & Finance (Band 1)
- Corporate/M&A (Band 1)
- Dispute Resolution (Band 1 Legal 500, Band 2 Chambers)
- Energy & Natural Resources (Band 1 Legal 500, Band 2 Chambers)
- Environment (Band 1 Legal 500)
- Labor & Employment (Band 1)
- Public Law (Band 1)
- Real Estate (Band 2 Legal 500)
- Tax (Band 1)
D’Empaire was founded in 1972 and comprises 40 lawyers.
|Corporate; mergers and acquisitions||Fulvio Italianiemail@example.com|
|Corporate; mergers and acquisitions||Carlos Omañafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate; mergers and acquisitions||Inés Parraemail@example.com|
|Corporate; mergers and acquisitions||Arnoldo Troconisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Oil and gas, energy, mining and petrochemical projects||Fulvio Italianiemail@example.com|
|Oil and gas, energy, mining and petrochemical projects||Carlos Omañafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Oil and gas, energy, mining and petrochemical projects||Inés Parraemail@example.com|
|Oil and gas, energy, mining and petrochemical projects||Arnoldo Troconisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Oil and gas, energy, mining and petrochemical projects||Roberto Masemail@example.com|
|Finance; restructuring; banking; capital markets; sovereign debt||Carlos Omañafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Finance; restructuring; banking; capital markets; sovereign debt||Fulvio Italianiemail@example.com|
|Finance; restructuring; banking; capital markets; sovereign debt||Roland Petterssonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tax||José Manuel Valecillosemail@example.com|
|Labor and human resources||Alejandro Disilvestrofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Labor and human resources||Victorino Márquezemail@example.com|
|Public law, competition, antitrust||José Valentín Gonzálezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Public law, competition, antitrust||José Humberto Fríasemail@example.com|
|Litigation, arbitration||Pedro Pererafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation, arbitration||José Humberto Fríasemail@example.com|
|Telecommunications and media||Arnoldo Troconisfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Intellectual property||José Valentín Gonzálezemail@example.com|
|Biba Arciniegas||Partner||View Profile|
|Alberto Benshimol||Partner||View Profile|
|Francisco Bolinaga||Partner||View Profile|
|Geraldine D'Empaire||Partner||View Profile|
|Alejandro Disilvestro||Partner||View Profile|
|José Humberto Frías||Partner||View Profile|
|Dubraska Galarraga||Partner||View Profile|
|José Valentín González||Partner||View Profile|
|Fulvio Italiani||Partner||View Profile|
|Victorino Márquez||Partner||View Profile|
|Roberto Mas||Partner||View Profile|
|Carlos Omaña||Partner||View Profile|
|Ines Parra||Partner||View Profile|
|Pedro Perera||Partner||View Profile|
|Roland Pettersson||Partner||View Profile|
|Humberto Romero-Muci||Partner||View Profile|
|Arnoldo Troconis||Partner||View Profile|
|José Manuel Valecillos||Partner||View Profile|