Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados > Bogota, Colombia > Firm Profile
Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados Offices
CALLE 72 NO 7 - 82 PISO 9
Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados > The Legal 500 Rankings
Colombia > Environment Tier 2Satisfied clients of Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados‘ environmental law group highlight the ‘proximity of the senior lawyers', who ‘make clients feel like they are a priority'. The firm possesses a full-service practice, which is particularly recognised for its track record in environmental emergencies. Other strong suits include regulatory and compliance matters and environmental sanctions procedures. Associate director and group head Silvia María Méndez Parodi is a former environmental advisor at the International Affairs Office of the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development; she advises an array of energy and natural resources, construction and consumer goods companies on their environmental law requirements
Silvia María Méndez Parodi
‘We appreciate the firm’s collaborative approach, the attention to detail and the response times.’
‘We highlight the proximity of the senior lawyers; we are able to access them and they always have an answer — they make clients feel like they are a priority for them.’
‘The environmental law team is very strong. We have been working with the firm for several years and we are very satisfied. The advice is comprehensive and is reviewed from various points of view, while the team is strong and interdisciplinary.’
‘The team is specialised in the environmental law area. Lawyers provide direct and personalised advice.’
Escuela Colombiana de Ingeniería Julio Garavito
Corporación Club Los Lagartos
Monster Energy Colombia
Caja de Compensación Familiar de Antioquia (COMFAMA)
- Assisting GeoPark with the analysis of oil easements, environmental responsibility and environmental and mining compliance matters.
- Advising Organización Terpel on two environmental sanctioning processes: the first concerns accidents involving oil spills in a storage plant located in Barrancabermeja, while the second relates to wastewater discharges.
- Advising Constructora Bolívar on environmental issues related to the development of land plots and the building of housing projects located near Bogotá.
Colombia > Corporate and M&A Tier 3Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados‘ corporate practice is commended by clients for its ‘dynamic and comprehensive service‘. A strong performer in mid-market deals, the group is also regularly called upon to advise on the local aspects of major cross-border transactions. Firm founder Diego Muñoz Tamayo co-leads the department and has a robust record in representing domestic and multinational corporations and investment funds on sophisticated corporate and M&A transactions. Corporate, banking and finance specialist Felipe Trías co-heads the practice and recently teamed up with Muñoz Tamayo to advise Rentokil Initial on the acquisition of Continental de Fumigaciones. The group also benefits from an impressive band of up-and-coming lawyers, with senior associates Alonso de Reyes (‘extremely hard-working and highly commercial’) and Amparo Montes (‘very dedicated and business-oriented‘) both singled out for praise by clients.
Diego Muñoz Tamayo; Felipe Trías
‘This very unique practice takes a “hands-on” approach. It is neither a boutique nor an international firm but fits somewhere in between with no bureaucracy, which makes things easier for clients. Lawyers possess well-rounded knowledge and teams are set up leanly, providing the best skills for each situation.’
‘The firm demonstrates good knowledge of the local market and maintains strong relationships. It has a very collaborative working style.’
‘The office combines dynamic and comprehensive service with personality. Queries are answered quickly and completely. The certainty that solutions to the problems presented will arise with speed and commitment generates great peace of mind for the client.’
‘Diego Muñoz Tamayo always reacts promptly to any request and his legal analysis is practical and professional. The firm manages to balance compliance requirements with the need for business development. Lawyers’ practical solutions for legal compliance is the most important skill we value.’
‘We value Diego Muñoz Tamayo for his strong technical knowledge, ability to solve complex problems and unmatched dedication. Senior associate Alonso de Reyes demonstrates high dedication and technical capacity.’
‘Felipe Trías and senior associate Amparo Montes support us with high-level corporate issues. It is a specialised team that understands the business and provides added value with its recommendations and opinions.’
‘Senior associate Amparo Montes is a very dedicated and business-oriented person; she provides support on every issue under her management.’
‘Senior associate Alonso de Reyes is extremely hard-working and highly commercial.’
America de Cali
Aucerna – 3ESI
- Advised AMP Capital on its investment in a joint venture with the Enel Group, which was awarded two concession agreements for the provision and operation of 860 electric buses for the Transmilenio mass transportation system in Bogota.
- Acted for Glencore International on the Colombian antitrust approval of its acquisition of Anglo American’s and BHP’s respective interests in the Cerrejón mine in Colombia.
- Advised Rentokil on the acquisition of three companies in the Colombian pest control industry.
Colombia > Public law Tier 3As a firm oriented towards heavily regulated sectors, Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados' public law team is particularly prominent in the energy, transportation, telecoms and healthcare industries. The practice is routinely engaged to act across a broad range of related matters, with strong recent activity in public procurement, infrastructure projects, administrative sanctioning matters and litigation. Diego Muñoz Tamayo spearheads the group and brings to bear significant experience in privatisations, project finance and public bidding procedures. Environmental practice director Silvia Méndez provides support.
Diego Muñoz Tamayo
‘The team is very professional and well-trained. The service is very competitive.’
‘The ‘plus’ is quality care; the partners are always willing to answer questions at any time required.’
‘The office combines a dynamic and comprehensive service with personality. Claims are answered quickly and completely. The certainty that the solutions to the problems presented will arise with speed and commitment generate great peace of mind for the client.’
‘We recommend Diego Muñoz Tamayo for his high technical knowledge, strong ability to solve complex problems and unmatched dedication.’
‘Lawyers are quite strong in knowledge and provide comprehensive and reliable advice. Several areas of the firm collaborate to meet the requirements.’
‘We highlight the impeccable standard of the documents and advice. Always oriented to give a timely solution to the client.’
Trina Solar Colombia
- Advised AMP Capital on its joint venture with the Enel Group, which was awarded two concession agreements for the provision and operation of 860 electric buses for the Transmilenio mass transportation system.
- Acted for Trina Solar Colombia on its participation in the second auction of long-term energy contracts from renewable sources held in 2021 in Colombia.
- Advised Dataprom Equipamentos e Servicos de Informatica Industrial on strategic matters related to its participation in the public concession contract for the collection system for Cartagena’s mass transportation system.
Colombia > Projects Tier 4The projects team at Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados ‘combines a dynamic and comprehensive service with personality', according to sources. The group has a well-established history in the area, originating with its advice on large-scale privatisations in the 1990s, and it handles tender processes, project financings, development work and contentious matters. Diego Muñoz Tamayo specialises in transactional work, including project structuring, and co-heads the department alongside Felipe Trías. Senior associate Antonio Rojas Mayol is also noted for his ‘high dedication and technical capacity'.
Diego Muñoz Tamayo; Felipe Trías
‘The office combines a dynamic and comprehensive service with personality. Claims are answered quickly and completely. The certainty that the solutions to the problems presented will arise with speed and commitment generates great peace of mind for the client.’
‘Diego Muñoz Tamayo has high level technical knowledge, strong ability to solve complex problems and unmatched dedication. Associate Antonio Rojas Mayol has high dedication and technical capacity.’
‘It is worth highlighting the co-ordination of the different teams and the high degree of professionalism and knowledge shown by each of its members. We also highlight the high degree of involvement and closeness to the client shown in general by all members of the firm.’
‘We value the professionalism, great knowledge of the subject, involvement and closeness shown by each of the people who are part of the Muñoz Tamayo team.’
Trina Solar Colombia
SK Engineering & Projects
- Advised AMP Capital on its investment in a joint venture with the Enel Group, which was awarded two concession agreements for the provision and operation of 860 electric buses for the Transmilenio mass transportation system.
- Advised Trina Solar Colombia on its participation in the second auction of long-term energy contracts from renewable sources.
- Advised EDF on the legal framework and risk allocation matters concerning its potential investment in a project for the development of a biomass plant in Colombia.
Fernando Trias; Diego Muñoz Tamayo
‘We appreciate the team’s very good collaboration and its fast processing of work.‘
SK Engineering & Projects
Alpha 4 Ventures 1 Fund
Fullerton Fund Management Company
- Advised Kushki Colombia on the legal framework for cryptocurrencies in Colombia, in order to implement an electronic payment processing platform that accepts cryptocurrencies.
- Advised SK Engineering & Projects on the legal framework for PPP projects and wastewater treatment plants in Colombia, including financial aspects.
- Assisted Codere with the company’s participation in a revolving credit facility, including recently advising on the accession of several of Codere’s Colombian subsidiaries to the revolving credit facility.
Joe Bonilla Gálvez
‘We value the team’s availability to meet requirements, knowledge and experience. Good monitoring of operational requirements and adoption of technological solutions to support the process. Effective communication channels.’
‘The MTA employment law team understands the needs of the business, seeks practical solutions and protects the interests of clients.’
‘Lawyers maintain close relationships and have strong availability. Matters are handled by a team with extensive experience and knowledge in an agile manner and with a very good level of service.’
‘We recommend lawyers for their availability, charisma and knowledge.’
‘Lawyers demonstrate warm personal skills along with extensive experience and knowledge. Joe Bonilla Gálvez and associate Alejandra Vidaurre Tugues provide a great service, which gives confidence to both the legal and human resources areas.’
Club Deportivo Popular Junior FC
Monster Energy Colombia
Soldaduras West Arco
Aucerna (3ESI Colombia)
América de Cali
Southern Graphic Systems Colombia (SGSCO)
Azul & Blanco Millonarios FC
- Advised Soldaduras West Arco on issues associated with the change of its headquarters, including the subsequent implications for working hours and the corresponding modifications to the company’s internal regulations.
- Appointed by América de Cali to provide consultancy services for day-to-day labour affairs, including on the hiring and termination of employment contracts with players.
- Assisted Monster Energy Colombia with the relocation of an employee who was not able to continue performing his duties due to a medical condition.
Colombia > TMT Tier 5Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados’ TMT team ‘balances compliance requirements with the need for business development', according to sources. The firm is mainly active in the telecoms and tech sectors; in terms of the latter, its growing experience in representing start-ups is particularly notable. Managing partner Diego Muñoz Tamayo advises TMT industry clients on regulatory and transactional matters and co-heads the department alongside Felipe Trias, whose finance background positions him well to advise on fintech matters.
Diego Muñoz Tamayo; Felipe Trias Visbal
‘MTA is really familiar and experienced with TMT issues in Colombia, and assists us with contract issues.’
‘The office combines a dynamic and comprehensive service with personality. Claims are answered quickly and completely.’
‘The certainty that the solutions to the problems presented will arise with speed generates great peace of mind for the client.’
‘Diego Muñoz Tamayo has strong technical knowledge, strong ability to solve complex problems and unmatched dedication.’
‘Diego Muñoz Tamayo always reacts promptly to any request. Also, his legal analysis is practical and professional; the team balances compliance requirements with the need for business development. The firm’s practical solutions to legal compliance is the most important skill we value.’
3ESI Colombia (Aucerna)
- Advised Kushki Colombia on the legal framework for cryptocurrencies in Colombia, to implement an electronic payment processing platform that accepts cryptocurrencies.
- Advised video-sharing mobile app, Kuaishou, on the incorporation of a local vehicle and the implementation of its business in Colombia.
- Advised Workiva on the legal framework for data protection and also on tax regulations applicable to its software implementation activity in Colombia.
Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados > Firm Profile
MTA is a full-service law firm in Colombia, with recognized experience in corporate law, M&A, privatizations, banking and finance, structuring projects, government procurement, public services, regulation, energy, natural resources, oil and gas, and competition law.
Founded in 1995, MTA began as a major advisor in privatization transactions in the gas and electric energy sectors, involving the largest transfer volume of state-owned assets in Colombia. Over the past two decades, MTA has been at the forefront of some of the most significant transactions in Colombia. Today, the firm provides legal assistance to international companies in over 30 countries entering the Colombian market across 17 practice areas.
Main practice areas
Corporate/M&A: the practice has extensive experience advising national and foreign companies, especially major foreign investors and private equity funds making investments and acquisitions in Colombia. MTA has been at the forefront of the acquisition of Colombian companies by multinationals and private equity funds.
Privatizations: MTA is a veritable pioneer of privatizations in Colombia, advising public and private sector clients in complex privatization processes over the past 20 years, frequently including intricate M&A, corporate, regulatory, and administrative challenges.
Compliance and antitrust: the practice specializes in the handling of large and complex investigations of anticompetitive conducts and of economic concentrations. Likewise, MTA advises buyers and sellers in the most important integration operations in Colombia.
Project structuring: the firm assists clients in the integral structuring of projects, most notably in the areas of telecommunications, mining and energy, as well as complex infrastructure projects, including the expansion and modernization of Colombia’s primary international airport.
Energy and natural resources: MTA has an established practice in energy and natural resources, focused on oil and gas, mining, alternative and renewable energy, and the construction of energy and infrastructure projects. Within these projects, MTA is experienced in negotiations with the Colombian national government to obtain exploration and exploitation rights and association contracts and the sale and assignment of mining titles or concessions.
Banking and finance: MTA is recognized for the structuring and restructuring of debt, with a focus on project finance, incorporation and operation of financial entities in Colombia, bond issues and underwriting, the acquisition and sale of financial entities and the structuring of loan agreements.
Labor law: the practice assists in all dimensions of Colombian labor legislation, including the negotiation and preparation of contracts, individual labor agreements, compensation structures, non-compete agreements, industry-specific labor policies, collective bargaining, pension schemes, and immigration to Colombia.
Sports law: MTA provides counsel to foreign and local sports associations, federations, professional athletes, and professional football teams, including contract negotiation and investigations and sanctions imposed by regulatory entities.
|Corporate / M&A||Diego Muñoz Tamayoemail@example.com|
|Banking and Finance||Diego Muñoz Tamayofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Banking and Finance||Felipe Trias Visbalemail@example.com|
|Energy and Natural Resources||Juan Manuel Sabogalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Projects||Diego Muñoz Tamayoemail@example.com|
|Projects||Fernando Bermúdez Duranafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Labor and Employment||Joe Bonilla Gálvezemail@example.com|
|Oil and Gas||Juan Manuel Sabogalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|TMT||Fernando Bermúdez Duranaemail@example.com|
|Sports||Joe Bonilla Gálvezfirstname.lastname@example.org|