Brigard Castro > Bogota, Colombia > Firm Profile
Brigard Castro Offices
Calle 70 Bis No. 4 – 41
PO BOX 3692
Brigard Castro > The Legal 500 RankingsBrigard Castro is widely revered as a market leader in intellectual property law, with more than 80 years of experience in the area. The boutique’s broad expertise, impressive track record and association with full-service firm Brigard Urrutia ensures that it is a first port of call for major global companies operating in Colombia, with Amazon Technologies, Philip Morris and Coca–Cola all standing as representative key clients. Among the names to note, department co-head Juan Pablo Cadena is recommended for his strong skill sets in copyright, IP litigation and trade names, while fellow co-head Martín Torres leads the trade mark practice. The team also draws on the experience of director Catalina Gómez, who spearheads the brands and oppositions team, and trade mark-focused associate María Juliana Pacheco. Partner María Fernanda Castellanos left the firm in October 2021.
Juan Pablo Cadena; Martín Torres
‘It is an expert firm, providing an excellent service.‘
‘We return to this firm due to the personalised attention we receive.’
The Coca-Cola Company
UNE EPM Telecomunicaciones
- Represented Grupo UMA in opposing 25 trade marks filed by Auteco which aimed to protect different locations of decals on motorcycles.
- Assisted Philip Morris Brands in filing an opposition against a trade mark that partially reproduced the ‘rooftop design’ of its Marlboro trade mark.
- Advised Colgate-Palmolive on filing oppositions against Bayer Intellectual Property’s applications for “INKPROTEX” and “COLORPROTEX”, in classes 3 and 5, based on Colgate-Palmolive’s trade mark rights over “PROTEX”, its family of trade marks, and the competitive relation between the products.
Colombia > Life sciences Tier 3Leading IP firm Brigard Castro specialises in advising life sciences clients on R&D-related issues through to IP protection and commercialisation matters. The team also works alongside lawyers from its sister firm Brigard Urrutia to assist with transactional support and due diligence matters. IP litigation specialist Juan Pablo Cadena now solely leads the department following the departure of former group co-head María Fernanda Castellanos in May 2022.
Juan Pablo Cadena
- Advised Trait Biosciences on new patent applications involving cannabis for the treatment of several diseases.
- Successfully represented Alector in obtaining a patent for a product containing anti-TREM2 antibodies.
- Advised Biotheranostics in complex patent matters.
Brigard Castro > Firm Profile
Founded in 1934 and with more than 80 years of experience, Brigard Castro is the leading intellectual property law firm in Colombia and one of the most prestigious in the region. Traditionally distinguished for providing clients with the highest quality service and the market’s best cost-benefit ratio. Brigard Castro has a select group of interdisciplinary professionals, specialized in each of the Intellectual Property branches, capable of efficiently servicing our client’s needs.
Our services include the processing and registration of distinctive signs, new creations, health registrations, technology transfer, copyrights, and comprehensive legal advice.
Brigard Castro belongs to the most important global law firm networks and associations specialized in intellectual property such as AIPPI, ASIPI, INTA, among others. The firm provides to their clients a privileged access to top tier law firms in most countries. These networks allow to be at the forefront of best practices and global trends in the field of legal service provision, taking advantage of the experience of colleagues in other jurisdictions.