King & Spalding LLP > Paris, France > Firm Profile
King & Spalding LLP Offices
12 COURS ALBERT 1ER
King & Spalding LLP > The Legal 500 Rankings
France > Environment Tier 1King & Spalding LLP has been especially active in environmental and toxic tort litigation before administrative, civil, commercial and criminal courts as well as before the European Court of Justice. With a ‘360° vision’ the team handles the entire spectrum of environmental law matters for clients. Practice head Joëlle Herschtel has extensive experience in remediation management of former industrial sites as well as in the management of their requalification.
‘The collaboration with King & Spalding is comfortable because they have a 360° vision on all the environmental issues that we encounter.’
‘The collaboration with Joëlle Herschtel is very effective both in terms of the quality and relevance of legal and regulatory aspects and in the speed of responses. Joëlle Herschtel treats all subjects with rigour and involvement. There is never room for superficiality. Confident and efficient.’
Maurel & Prom
Renaissance Heavy Industries
- Assisted Fosmax LNG (Engie group) with a proceeding before the French Council of State which confirmed and enforced an arbitral award in favour of our client.
- Advised McPhy in the framework of its €180m share capital increase.
- Representing Spanish energy company Unión Fenosa Gas (UFG) in three arbitrations concerning the failure to supply natural gas to a major LNG export plant in Egypt that Unión Fenosa Gas constructed.
Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Ltd.
Union Fenosa Gas
Government of Turkey
Trinh Vinh Binh
Emirates International Investment Company LLC
Société des Parcs d’Alger
Cavalum SGPS, S.A.
KS Invest GmbH & TLS Invest GmbH
Cube Infrastructure Fund SICAV
ESPF Beteiligungs GmbH et al.
VC Holding II S.a.r.l. et al
SunReserve Luxco Holdings S.a.r.l. et al.
CEF Energia B.V.
FREIF Eurowind Holdings Ltd.
Greentech Energy Systems
Obrascon Huarte Lain S.A.
Triodos Renewable Europe
LSG Building Solutions GmbH
Green Source Consulting GmbH
Core Value Investments GmbH
Pressburg UK GmbH
ACF Renewable Energy Ltd.
European Solar Farms A/S
OMV Upstream International GmbH
- Representing numerous clients in 19 investment arbitrations brought under the Energy Charter Treaty against Spain, Italy, Bulgaria and Romania.
- Represented Spanish energy company Unión Fenosa Gas in three arbitrations against the Government of Egypt and its national natural gas company, EGAS, as well as in an ICSID annulment proceeding.
- Representing Minera Aratiri, a group of UK investors, in an investment arbitration against the Republic of Uruguay relating to the expropriation of a mining project worth billions of dollars.
‘Jean Tamalet is a rising star within Paris’ criminal bar, mainly in the area of business criminal matters. He is very experienced, very available to his clients, quick, lively and confident in his advice. He has easy and pleasant contact.’
Sea Shepherd global and France
Etablissement Public Palais de la Découverte
Lagardère Multimédia/Europe 1 Telecommunications SAS
SDW Group/Stanislas Dewynter
Ellipse (Dubai Papers)
Maison du caviar
- Assisting Carlos Ghosn with a very sensitive case, one among the more significant international white-collar and political matters of the past ten years.
- Advising Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, the international non-profit, marine wildlife conservation organisation, on over 40 different files.
- Representing Etablissement Public Palais de la Découverte and its representatives in prosecution proceedings arisen from allegations of undeclared work.
France > Real estate Tier 4King & Spalding LLP
‘Available, responsive, didactic, sharp.’
La Française Real Estate Partners
M&G Real Estate
Deka Immobilien GmbH
Diderot Real Estate
Foncière des Andes SPPICAV
ALEX GAMBAL GROUP
Constructa Asset Management
Futura Fund P.l.c.
6ème Sens Immobilier
Mileway / The Blackstone Group
Paref Asset Management
Colliers Global Investor
Cromwell Property Group
- Advised Ingka Investment/IKEa on the acquisition from Invesco of Forever 21’s former retail space and on the restructuring of the premises to develop its complex store.
- Assisted SEGRO France with the development of its future urban distribution and logistics site of almost 90,000m² in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier (38).
- Assisted 6ème Sens Immobilier with the disposal to Ardian Real Estate of an office property to be redeveloped located on Rue du Temple in Paris.
France > Tax Tier 4King & Spalding LLP's Aurélia de Viry works in close collaboration with the firm’s M&A and corporate team to advise on the structuring of mid-cap M&A and private equity transactions, including public M&A and convertibles transactions. The tax practice is also recognised for its strong real estate and fund investment expertise. As a stand-alone a practice, de Viry and her team also handle patrimonial tax issues and litigation.
Aurélia de Viry
‘The tax team is well known to stakeholders and recognised by its peers for the quality of its analyses and its dynamism.’
‘I appreciate Aurélia de Viry’s pragmatism, her approach to problems and her very good knowledge of the tax administration and practices.’
‘Aurélia de Viry is an expert in French tax law. Her availability and ability to search for solutions are greatly appreciated.’
M&G Real Estate
- Advised the controlling shareholders of Neotys (including the founders of the company and French private equity funds Ardian and BPI) on the sale of the entire Neotys share capital and voting rights to Tricentis.
- Advised France Galop (a non-profit association that organizes and controls the gallop racing industry in France and depends both on the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Budget) in relation to the change of the French VAT regime (introduction of a provision) related to race winnings incomes.
- Advising Banque Mirabaud Luxembourg on the investment structure named ‘Grand Paris’, set up in Luxembourg as regulated vehicle, on the French aspects of the fund structure and investments.
Algeria > Foreign firms Tier 1King & Spalding LLP has a longstanding history in Algeria of assisting international clients with transactions and financing major energy projects. The team is also active in the retail, leisure and construction sectors. Paris-based Mehdi Haroun oversees the team, which includes team members qualified in both France and Algeria, with additional expertise working across other Francophone Africa countries. Haroun is supported by associate Nora Djeraba.
Baker Hughes GE
Renaissance Heavy Industries
Dalma NoTo ad
- Advised Anadarko on its day to day operations of the Berkine Project, including contractual, employment, customs, regulatory, tax and social security issues.
- Advised Anadarko on the change of control of its Algerian assets in relation to Anadarko’s acquisition by Occidental Petroleum (Oxy).
- Advised Baker Hughes – GE on the restructuring of its investment in Algeria through new corporate structures and service contracts, in the context of restricted foreign ownership legislation and following the merger between Baker Hughes and GE.
Morocco > Foreign firms Tier 1King & Spalding LLP's Paris office has a dedicated Africa group, in which vastly experienced partner Mehdi Haroun is focused purely on Morocco. It is regarded as a leading firm for project work in North Africa with strong experience in both French- and English-speaking countries. Haroun frequently handles deals in the energy, oil and gas and telecoms sectors, with his work encompassing complex corporate restructuring and acquisitions.
Tunisia > Foreign firms Tier 2King & Spalding LLP is active in Tunisia through its Paris office, which frequently supports international clients on projects and general business law matters in North Africa. The firm is further distinguished by its robust public law offering and it has deep experience in advising on the public law-related aspects of regional project developments. Paris-based Mehdi Haroun is dual-qualified in France and Algeria and has a focus on project development, M&A and oil and gas as well as dispute resolution. Senior associate Nora Djeraba, also based in Paris, supports on Tunisia-related matters.
- Advised Panoro Energy on the extension of the Sfax Offshore Permit.
- Advised Anadarko on its Tunisian legal issues, in particular its exit from Tunisia.
King & Spalding LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: Celebrating more than 130 years of service, King & Spalding is an international law firm that represents a broad array of clients, including half of the Fortune Global 100, with 1,200 lawyers in 22 offices in the United States, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The firm also represents hundreds of clients with new ventures and mid-sized companies in emerging industries.
The firm has handled matters in over 160 countries on six continents and is consistently recognised for the results it obtains, its uncompromising commitment to quality and its dedication to understanding the business and culture of its clients.
|International arbitration and litigation|
|Contracts and business torts|
|Patent, trade mark and copyright litigation|
|Mergers and acquisitions|
|Projects and infrastructure|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 1200+ firmwide
LanguagesArabic Chinese English Farsi French German Hebrew Hindi Italian Japanese Korean Mandarin Portuguese Punjabi Russian Sindhi Spanish Swedish Taiwanese
OtherContact : Vanessa Benichou (office managing partner) Other offices : Abu Dhabi Other offices : Atlanta Other offices : Austin Other offices : Charlotte Other offices : Frankfurt Other offices : Dubai Other offices : Geneva Other offices : Houston Other offices : London Other offices : Los Angeles Other offices : Moscow Other offices : New York Other offices : Riyadh* Other offices : San Francisco Other offices : Silicon Valley Other offices : Singapore Other offices : Tokyo Other offices : Washington, DC Other offices : Chicago Other offices : Brussels
Assisting clients in the present and anticipating the future2022 is a pivotal year We are going through unprecedented crises requiring a major evolution of our society. One of King & Spalding’s strengths is to be at the side of our client in this context. So far, more than 330m people have contracted the Covid-19 virus, all variants combined, and at least 6m have …
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus: Energy
- Tunisia > Foreign firms