Jones Day > Mexico City, Mexico > Firm Profile
Jones Day Offices
PASEO DE LA REFORMA 342
PISO 30, COLONIA JUÁREZ
06600 MEXICO, D.F.
Jones Day > The Legal 500 Rankings
Mexico > Compliance Tier 1Clients value Jones Day's compliance practice for being a ‘team you can fully trust when you need timely, business savvy sound advice’. Department-head Guillermo Larrea, who is currently vice-president at the Compliance Managers Commission of the Mexico Chapter of the ICC, is held in high esteem by clients for his expert advice on compliance, anticorruption, and anti-money laundering, as well as for being committed to moving the agenda forward on digital compliance. Larrea is closely supported by associate Juan Carlos Quinzaños, who has strong knowledge of cyber-crime matters, and is dedicated to cyber-security and data compliance mandates. Recent work highlights include advising Toyota with the preparation of a regulatory compliance risk assessment and compliance program concerning anticorruption, cyber-security and data protection.
‘The compliance team of Jones Day is top-notch and a team you can fully trust when you need timely, business savvy sound advice.’
‘I love working with Juan Carlos Quinzaños and Guillermo Larrea.’
Toyota Financial Services México
BioHorizons (Henry Schein)
Daikin Airconditioning Mexico
Protege Tu Nómina
- Advising Grupo Proeza on an anticorruption program, anti-money laundering program, and a cybersecurity and personal data protection program for its operations in 24 cities across North and South America and Asia.
- Advising cloud company Mambu on the analysis of compliance, regulatory and personal data protection obligations in relation to the company’s services in Mexico and before Mexican financial authorities.
- Advising BioHorizons with the preparation of anti-corruption training in connection with the FCPA and local anti-corruption laws for its operations in Mexico and Chile.
Mexico > Banking and finance Tier 2The Mexican office of international full-service powerhouse, Jones Day, houses a 14-strong banking and finance team comprised of ‘experts in their field’, who represent an impressive list of lenders and borrowers, while also covering a range of transaction types and structures, including acquisition, real estate and aviation finance, as well as asset-based lending and cross-border investments. Manuel Romano, who operates across various industries including energy, manufacturing, automotive and apparel, and also advises financing parties in real estate development projects; and Alberto De La Parra, who has a solid track record advising on project finance, syndicated loans, secured financings and refinancing transactions, sit at the helm of the practice. Javier Martínez Del Campo, who maintains a broad securities and finance practice; José Estandía, who has over 25 years’ experience advising borrowers and lenders, particularly as regards project finance; and Carlos Sámano (debt, equity, and asset-backed securities offerings and tender offers), round out the senior team. Arturo De La Parra, who was recently promoted to of counsel and focuses on a range of cross-border and domestic financing transactions (most notably project finance); and associates Jose Manuel Carrillo and Diego Noriega are other names to note.
‘Very good performance and professionalism in structuring advanced loans to infrastructure projects and capital markets transactions in Mexico. They are experts in their field.’
‘Arturo de la Parra and his team have a great availability, they are always willing to help and close the transaction.’
Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior
Banco Nacional de Obras y Servicios Públicos
Banco Santander México
Vitol Electricidad de Mexico
Invex Infraestructura 4
Grupo Financiero Value
- Represented Bancomext and NAFIN in connection with a $300m bridge loan granted to PTI Infraestructura (a subsidiary of Pemex) with Pemex as joint obligor.
- Represented Grupo Gigante in connection with a multi-phase refinancing of banking debt, which included the banking debt of Grupo Gigante and its principal subsidiaries.
- Represented Banco Santander on the refinancing of a credit facility granted to Abent 3T, for the development of a 220MW cogeneration plant located in the state of Tabasco, Mexico.
José Estandía; Alberto de la Parra
‘Outstanding knowledge, prestigious office.‘
‘Very good knowledge of the subject and relevant topics.‘
OPDE Participaciones Industriales
Itzoil (Invex Infraestructura 4)
Desarrollos Eólicos Mexicanos de Oaxaca 2
Vitol Electricidad de Mexico
- Advised Desarrollos Eólicos Mexicanos de Oaxaca 2, as borrower, and Desarrollos Eólicos Mexicanos, as guarantor, on the drafting and negotiation of the first amendment and restatement agreement to the credit opening agreement between Desarrollos Eólicos Mexicanos de Oaxaca 2, Nacional Financiera, Sociedad Nacional de Crédito, Development Banking Institution as creditor and agent bank, and Banco Mercantil del Norte, Institución de Banca Múltiple, Grupo Financiero Banorte and CaixaBank as creditors.
- Advised Banco Santander and Banco Inbursa, as mandated lead arrangers, on the execution of a credit facility for the refinancing of a 220 MW cogeneration plant located in the state of Tabasco, Mexico.
Mexico > Environment Tier 2Jones Day is an undoubted presence in Mexico's environmental legal sphere, its practice demonstrating experience and capability in all areas of environmental, health and safety laws, with specific focus on compliance, environmental damage liability, climate change, and energy projects. The team advises clients on matters involving soil pollution and remediation, greenhouse gas emissions, legislative developments regarding the banning of plastics, hazardous materials and waste management, social impact and civil environmental liability, among others. It also represents clients in litigation before local and federal administrative authorities and courts in Mexico. Practice head Mauricio Llamas is a veteran specialist with over 20 years' partner-level involvement in the sector; he primarily undertakes administrative and regulatory matters, with particular experience in environmental, health, and safety laws and standardization, and is also very active in administrative litigation against federal and local authorities. Senior associate Mauricio Villegas is well regarded for his experience advising domestic and international clients on compliance matters, M&A auditing procedures, the environmental aspects of business restructurings, the obtaining of relevant permits, crisis management, and regulatory and environmental litigation.
‘Personalised advice and immediate follow-up.’
‘There are not many competitors, the results are good and immediate.’
Centro Mexicano de Derecho Ambiental
Bio Pappel Scribe
Agencia de Proyectos Estratégicos del Estado de Quintana Roo (AGEPRO)
- Advised Grupo Elementia on a major site remediation case.
- Represented Grupo Iberdrola’s companies in a constitutional litigation (amparo) proceeding filed against the Energy Regulatory Commission for its modification of a general resolution prohibiting the inclusion of new partners and associated cogeneration establishments for self-supply and cogeneration power plants.
- Advised Centro Mexicano in the preparation and filing of a constitutional appeal (amparo) before federal courts against an official communication issued by Mexico’s Energy Regulatory Commission drastically increasing the transmission rates for clean energy producers.
Alberto de la Parra; José Estandía; Manuel Romano
‘A timely job was carried out for a confidential due diligence issue that the office carried out in a timely manner and with the greatest willingness of the firm’s partners and lawyers in general.’
‘The whole team was always ready and without mishaps. They attended in a timely manner. They carried out the pertinent research and with excellent advice on the different aspects that were requested to study. They proposed additional necessary revisions to the process.’
‘The team is highly specialised. They provide sophisticated solutions in a highly complex economic and legal environment. The approach is always to be an asset to the internal legal department to achieve the objectives, removing prominence from the side.’
‘Alberto de la Parra – Partner Carlos Samano – of counsel availability and commitment to projects.’
Grupo Energía México Gemex,
Invex Infraestructura 4
Vitol Electricidad de México
Ainda Energía e Infraestructura
Banco Nacional de Comercio Exterior
Banco Nacional de Obras y Servicios Públicos
- Advised Banco Santander (Spain) in the refinancing of a credit facility granted to Abent 3T or the development of a 220MW cogeneration plant located in Tabasco, Mexico.
- Advised Tabasco Energia España (a subsidiary of Banco Santander), on its acquisition of the majority interest in Abent 3T from A3T Luxco1.
- Advised Alianza Malinalco, a subsidiary of Beel Infra, on granting a subordinated loan to an investment trust created by Vise, La Peninsular and the concessionarie R&M Querétaro – San Luis.
Mexico > Capital markets Tier 3Silvia Malagón sits at the helm of the respected Mexican capital markets practice of full-service giant, Jones Day, which is well known for its work advising domestic issuers and underwriters on debt and equity offerings, as well as for its capabilities assisting with the establishing of mutual funds, pension funds and brokerage firms in Mexico, as well as other fund-related transactions. Work highlights include helping Sam Asset Management obtain authorisation before the National Banking and Securities Commission (CNBV) for its merger with TOPSAM. Of counsel Carlos Sámano provides additional key expertise in securities offerings. The group can also draw resources form the firm's international network of offices.
Silvia Malagón; Carlos Sámano
‘All very good, they make a good team and complement each other in different aspects according to their experience.’
‘They are very friendly and helpful in resolving outstanding issues, as well as solving any doubts we may have. They are very helpful and easy to contact.’
Promotora y Desarrolladora Mexicana
Grupo Financiero Scotiabank Inverlat
Fondos de Inversión Multiva
Operadora de Fondos Banorte
Grupo Financiero Citibanamex
SAM Asset Management
Credit Suisse Securities (USA)
Dunross Investment & Newfoundland
Bilbao Vizcaya Holding
- Advising Prodemex, as issuer, on its first follow-on offering.
- Advised Sam Asset Management on obtaining authorisation before the National Banking and Securities Commission for its merger with TOPSAM.
- Advised Afore Citibanamex on behalf of the pension funds holding the non-redeemable investment projects trust certificates (CERPI: CAPGLPI 18), on the CERPI’s restructuring.
‘Competent lawyers, practice and innovation.’
‘Gabriel Altamirano and Antonio Gonzalez are lawyers with knowledge and availability .’
Selecciones Médicas de Centro
- Advised Cooper Tire on its $2.5bn sale to Goodyear.
- Advised Ravago on its acquisition of Indurkem.
- Advised IAC Holdco on the acquisition of warrants and equity issued by the company by Gamut.
Mexico > Corporate and M&A Tier 4Working seamlessly with the firm's other offices as necessary, full-service giant, Jones Day's Mexican practice is a respected presence in the corporate sphere. Particularly active in the energy and infrastructure sectors, the 14-strong department is co-led by experienced office managing partner Manuel Romano - a transactional specialist; and of counsels Mauricio Castilla (M&A and corporate governance); and Javier Martínez Del Campo (cross-border and domestic mergers and acquisitions); all three particularly excel at handling cross-border M&A, joint ventures and strategic alliances, with corporate governance too, constituting a particular niche strength. Of counsel Antonio Franck is also a genuine corporate specialist who enjoys a loyal clientele. Recent departmental highlights include acting for Shiloh Industries on the sale of its majority ownership to MiddleGround Capital; and as co-counsel to KKR on its acquisition of the assets of Tultitlán from Unilever.
Antonio González; José Antonio Vázquez
Mexico > Tax Tier 5The ‘top-notch, knowledgeable and pragmatic’ practice at Jones Day earns praise for an offering which ‘covers various jurisdictions in a single invoice and in a highly coordinated manner’, making them an ideal choice for ‘transnational matters’. Rodrigo Gómez sits at the helm of the team, bringing over 20 years' experience advising on various aspects of Mexican federal and international taxation to the table - including on the tax aspects of M&A transactions, restructurings, and debt markets' activity. The group has particular industry expertise on manufacturing, infrastructure, energy, finance, retail, technology and real estate.
‘What makes the practice unique is the integration they have with their offices around the world to provide a tax service that covers various jurisdictions in a single invoice and in a highly coordinated manner.’
‘They are very good at transnational matters.’
‘Tax is one of those topics, just the title scares me. Dealing with tax matters in a foreign country even more; having a go-to person subject matter expert is the greatest support you can have. Jones Day´s Mexican Tax team is top-notch, knowledgeable and pragmatic.’
‘Rodrigo Gomez is one of the best partners Jones Day Mexico has.’
‘One of the most important points that make this firm different is the technical quality of the lawyers, but the most important thing is the quality with which they treat the client and the knowledge they obtain from them to provide professional services.’
‘What I see in Rodrigo Gómez is the warmth of the treatment he gives to the client and obviously the knowledge that we obtains from him. He is a sensible person in his suggestions, always seeking the well-being of the client, always from a tax legal framework.’
Lixil Group / American Standard brands
Toyota Motor Company
The Haskell Company
- Assisted Grupo Gigante with a multi-phase refinancing of its more than MX$10bn banking debt.
Theodore Chung; Cristina Pérez Soto
‘They have a deep knowledge of our – Brazilian – market in the investigations space, especially when in the hands of parner Eric Snyder, and they have deep cross-border experience in Brazil-US, representing both corporates and individuals, which gives them a more complete level of understanding of legal issues for multi-jurisdictional matters.’
‘Eric Snyder is the key partner to our market and area.’
‘Jones Day is responsive – no matter when I call, even if it is a holiday, they provide immediate assistance. They have great depth of knowledge across Latin America. They are my “go-to” firm. They work very well with outside counsel. I have used them in Mexico, Colombia, Argentina and Brazil. They also have great language capabilities with lawyers and paralegals who speak Spanish, Portuguese, and English, so conducting interviews and reviewing documents is simple. I truly appreciate that Jones Day has an office in Sao Paulo, Brazil. It really makes many things easier.’
‘Eric Snyder is fantastic. I recommend him to my peers at other multi-national companies. He is very responsive, knowledgeable, pragmatic, practical, and really knows how to address a wide variety of issues. He is also always available to travel anywhere in Latin America I need him to go.’
- Advised Grupo Proeza on a full anticorruption program, anti-money laundering program, and a cybersecurity and personal data protection program for its operations in 24 cities across North and South America, and Asia.
Luis Riesgo; Wade Angus
‘Cost effective; pragmatic; very nice people to work with.’
‘Pragmatic; client focused.’
Group 1 Automotive
Cemig Geracao e Transmissao
Greystar Real Estate Partners
Marfrig Global Foods
- Advised Cemig Geração e Transmissão on its offer to purchase up to $500m of its outstanding 9.250% senior notes (due 2024).
- Advised JBS on its $408m acquisition of Vivera.
- Advised TotalEnergies on its strategic alliance and investment agreement with Omaha Beach Investment, Sunix Petroleum and Tropigas Dominicana to help the Dominican Republic’s transition to renewable energy.
‘Great skill in project finance. Especially experts negotiating in front of or on behalf of development banks and multilateral organisations. Ingenious and always accompany and provide business solutions.‘
Millicom International Cellular
Bank of America
- Advised a syndicate of international and Brazilian investment banks in connection with an international offering of $1.5bn senior notes by Marfrig Global Foods.
- Advised Millicom International Cellular on a bridge loan facility with a syndicate of commercial banks to finance the acquisition of the remaining 45% equity interest in Millicom’s joint venture businesses in Guatemala.
- Represented Banco Santander (Spain), Caixabank, and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank (Spain) in a subordinated loan to Abent 3T to finance the development of a 220MW co-generation plant located in the state of Tabasco, Mexico.
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF)
Electricité de France (EDF)
Sudamericana Integral de Construcciones Sudinco
- Advised the sponsor and the concessionaire on the structuring and financing of the $290m Naranjal-Tenguel road project in Ecuador.
- Represented Sacyr Concesiones and Sudamericana Integral de Construcciones Sudinco on a $575m long-term project financing provided by the Development Finance Corporation and a syndicate of major financial institutions.
- Advised Banco Santander subsidiary, Tabasco Energia España, on its acquisition from A3T Luxco1 of the majority interest in Abent 3T, a project company which owns a 220MW cogeneration plant in Tabasco, Mexico.
Jones Day > Firm Profile
Firm overview: Jones Day is a global law firm with more than 2,500 lawyers in 42 offices across five continents. The firm is distinguished by: a singular tradition of client service; the mutual commitment to, and the seamless collaboration of, a true partnership; formidable legal talent across multiple disciplines and jurisdictions; and shared professional values that focus on client needs.
Jones Day is an institutional partner for clients who seek counsel that seeks to understand them and their needs; that communicates with clients about their needs and the different tactics available for addressing those needs; that works seamlessly and impressively across offices and practices and with the client; that provides talent and expertise across subject areas and geographies; and that brings commitment and courage to the relationship and its engagements. We are formidable because every partner and every client has the entire global institution at their command and is a high priority of the Firm as a whole. We are true partners, with each other and, even more importantly, with our clients.
Regions of practice
Latin America: Jones Day is one of the leading global law firms serving the Latin American region through its offices in Mexico City and São Paulo, along with attorneys based in key business and legal centers such as New York, Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Madrid. Jones Day’s Latin American experience extends to mergers and acquisitions, investigations and anti-corruption, projects and infrastructure, banking and finance, energy, dispute resolution, business restructuring, private equity and capital markets.
United States: Surveys repeatedly list Jones Day as one of the most frequently engaged law firms by US corporations for both transactional and disputes matters, and among the leaders in client service. Jones Day’s more than 1,600 lawyers across its 18 US offices collaborate to serve clients across practices and geographies on all major matters that span time-honored practices (antitrust, mergers and acquisitions, litigation, and government regulation) to more recently established and expanded areas (cybersecurity, life sciences, energy, and technology) that specifically address the contemporary challenges of an increasingly complex global business and legal environment.
Europe and Middle East: Jones Day provides a significant presence in Europe that offers clients more than 500 lawyers from its European offices in Amsterdam, Brussels, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Milan, Munich, and Paris. The firm’s lawyers counsel clients in administrative and public law, banking and finance, capital markets, competition law and regulatory, derivatives, market infrastructures, dispute resolution, and investigations.
In the Middle East, more than 20 lawyers are based in the firm’s offices in Dubai and Saudi Arabia. They have accumulated significant experience in most of the region’s key industries and jurisdictions, advising on mergers and acquisitions and corporate transactions, projects and infrastructure, commercial transactions, real estate and construction matters, regulatory compliance, and dispute resolution.
Asia-Pacific: Jones Day has committed substantial resources and capacity to serve each of Asia’s distinct markets, including China, Japan, Singapore and Southeast Asia, as well as Australia. Spread throughout ten offices in the region, the firm’s 250+ lawyers represent clients in practice areas including antitrust, banking and finance, capital markets, corporate and commercial, energy, global disputes, intellectual property, labor and employment, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, real estate, and several others.
The majority of Jones Day’s Asia-based lawyers are admitted to practice local law in their home jurisdictions. Most have practiced in more than one country, enabling Jones Day’s Asia team to render multijurisdictional legal services. Jones Day has been granted a Qualifying Foreign Law Practice license (QFLP) in Singapore.
Managing partner: Stephen J Brogan
Latin America offices: Mexico City, São Paulo
US offices: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Irvine, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Pittsburgh, San Diego, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Washington
Europe and Middle East offices: Amsterdam, Brussels, Dubai, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Paris, Saudi Arabia
Asia-Pacific offices: Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Perth, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei, Tokyo
Main areas of practice:
- Antitrust and competition law
- Business and tort litigation
- Business restructuring and reorganization
- Cybersecurity, privacy and data protection
- Employee benefits and executive compensation
- Financial markets
- Global disputes
- Government regulation
- Health care and life sciences
- Insurance recovery
- Intellectual property
- Investigations and white-collar defense
- Issues and appeals
- Labor and employment
- Private equity
- Real estate
- Securities litigation and SEC enforcement
- State Attorney General enforcement, investigations and litigation
|Managing Partner||Gregory M. Shumaker|
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Energy and natural resources
- Projects and infrastructure