Arias > Tegucigalpa, Honduras > Firm Profile
Centro Comercial El Dorado 6° Piso
Arias > The Legal 500 Rankings
Central American firm Arias is highly experienced in multi-jurisdictional financial transactions, particularly between clients in Honduras and the US. The team predominantly advises lender-side clients, acting for banks, financial institutions and financial services companies, both domestic and international. Notable areas of strength include aviation finance and project finance; among a number of highlights, the team advised a Canadian fund on the financing of a submarine telecoms network between La Ceiba on the northern coast of Honduras and the island of Roatán. Managing partner Evangelina Lardizábal leads the team alongside Mario Agüero, who has notable experience in cross-border transactions, as well as in financial matters in regulated sectors including energy and telecoms.
Evangelina Lardizábal; Mario Agüero
Leader Global Solutions
1st Source Bank
International Development Bank
- Advised Tegra, as debtor, and its local subsidiaries, New Holland Lingerie de Honduras and Hew Holland Apparel de Nicaragua, as guarantors, on the amendment of a financing agreement entered into with several creditors, collateral securities agent and administrative agents.
- Advised Canadian fund CASEIF III on the provision of funds to a local Honduran corporation, Bay Islands Telecommunication (BITEL), for the construction, operation and development of a submarine fibre optic communications network between La Ceiba and the island of Roatán.
- Assisted 1st Source Bank in Honduras with the review of all guaranty agreements, the preparation of a Honduran note and issue of a capacity and legality legal opinion in regards to an aircraft financing agreement.
Honduras > Corporate and M&A Tier 1
The experienced team at Arias has remained active in M&A despite the Covid-19 pandemic, and has taken advantage of its position as a regional firm to handle a number of multi-jurisdictional transactions. A case in point was its advice to Delivery Hero on its acquisition of Glovo's operations in Latin America, where it worked alongside the firm's offices in Guatemala and Costa Rica. Managing partner and practice co-head Evangelina Lardizábal brings experience in the financial services, insurance, energy and real estate sectors to the team, while fellow co-head Mario Agüero is particularly experienced in advising international companies on the restructuring of their local operations, particularly in heavily regulated sectors. Lardizábal also coordinates the firm's involvement in the Familias Unidas pro bono initiative launched by the Vance Centre in New York to aid migrants from Central America. The department also benefits from having a sizeable team of associates, including Antonio Montes, who stands out for his antitrust expertise, regularly assisting with pre-merger notifications to the Honduran competition regulator.
Evangelina Lardizábal; Mario Agüero
High Power Petroleum
Energia Cinco Estrellas
Inversiones AG (McDonald’s)
- Advised Imperial Brands on the sale of Honduran cigar producer La Flor de Copán as part of the sale of its worldwide Premium Cigars businesses to a consortium of individual investors.
- Advised Delivery Hero on the purchase of Glovo’s operations in Costa Rica, Honduras and Guatemala, as part of its expansion in Latin America.
- Advised Ascendant Resources on the sale of 100% of its shares in mining company American Pacific Honduras (AMPAC) to Panamanian company Kirungu Corporation.
The 'solid' and 'meticulous' dispute resolution team at Arias is skilled in both litigation and arbitration, handling a range of civil, commercial, labour and contentious-administrative disputes. Its client base is predominantly made up of international companies with operations in Honduras, although the team also acts for local businesses. Fanny Rodríguez leads the practice and also coordinates the firm's pro bono programme with TECHO, a Latin American NGO, assisting communities in rural Honduras, and the Familias Unidas initiative, providing pro bono assistance to Central American migrants in coordination with the Vance Centre in New York. Other key team members are associates Erick Lezama, who is experienced in civil, labour and administrative matters, and Mario Raveneau, who is based in the San Pedro Sula office, where he is able to assist clients headquartered in the north of Honduras with labour disputes, among other matters.
‘It is a solid team. The lawyers work well together and understand their clients’ requirements very well.’
‘The lawyers are young, meticulous and know the law very well, and they enjoy sharing this knowledge with their clients.’
Operadora Portuaria Centroamericana (Central American Port Operator)
Punto Fa (Mango)
Essity – SCA Group (Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget)
Pan American Life Insurance Group (PALIG)
- Defending clothing distributor Punto Fa (Mango) against a claim by its former franchisee in Honduras, Eurocomer, for the payment of over $6m in damages for the termination of the contract between them.
- Representing Pan American Life Insurance Group (PALIG) in a group of five civil lawsuits filed by beneficiaries of collective insurance contracts signed with Credomatic (now BAC – Credit Card Division), seeking damages for the termination of the contracts.
- Represented Essity – SCA Group (Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget) in an administrative-contentious proceeding to nullify a distribution licence granted in favour of its former distributor.
Honduras > Tax Tier 1
Arias regularly advises on tax matters alongside its other offices in Central America, providing a regional offering for its clients, which are predominantly multinationals with subsidiaries in Honduras. In addition, the firm benefits from having a second local office in San Pedro Sula, allowing it to advise free trade zone companies headquartered there on the tax dispensations available under Honduran regulations; the team also advises export manufacturing and renewable energy clients on tax incentives granted to companies in these sectors. Other areas of activity include day-to-day compliance advice, assistance with the tax aspects of corporate matters, and appeals against tax adjustments made by the SAR. Evangelina Lardizábal leads the team; other key contacts include associate Claudia Midence, who has extensive experience, particularly relating to the tax aspects of renewable energy projects.
AVENT, Halyard Health (formerly Kimberly-Clark Health Care)
American Pacific (AMPAC)
Fruit of the Loom
- Advising AVENT, the Honduran subsidiary of medical manufacturer Halyard Health (formerly Kimberly-Clark Health Care), on various tax issues relating to its local operations, including advising on the free trade zone regime.
- Advising American Pacific (AMPAC), a subsidiary of Ascendant Resources, on various tax matters, including the fiscal benefits related to its mining activities.
A leading firm in the region, Arias has experience in the full range of projects work, advising on the financing, construction, leasing and permitting of projects, particularly in the energy, infrastructure and real estate sectors. In a recent highlight, managing partner Evangelina Lardizábal led advice on the financing, construction, operations and development of a significant telecoms infrastructure project. Lardizábal and Mario Agüero also bring their strength in corporate and finance matters in M&A and other transactions in the energy sector. Among the team's clients are regional energy and natural resources companies and financial institutions.
Evangelina Lardizábal; Mario Agüero
High Power Petroleum
Energia Cinco Estrellas
- Advised Canadian fund CASEIF III on the provision of $5m financing to local Honduran corporation Bay Islands Telecommunication (BITEL) for the construction, operation and development of a submarine fiber optic communications network.
- Advised Tegra, through its local subsidiary Southern Apparel Contractors, on all agreements with Grupo Kattan, a local contractor, for the construction and subsequent lease of a textile manufacturing facility in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
- Advised Ascendant Resources on the sale of 100% of its shares in mining company American Pacific Honduras, (AMPAC) to Panamanian company Kirungu Corporation.
‘What sets Arias Honduras apart is the speed of their service, added to their comprehensive technical understanding of intellectual property. What matters to in-house lawyers is how clearly firms convey this knowledge. In this sense, Arias stands out from other firms in the market.’
‘Sonia Urbina and Gissel Zalavarria handle trade mark matters for us in Honduras. They have an extensive knowledge of the field and the ability to confidently resolve any issues.’
Procter & Gamble
Clarke Modet & Co.
Marks & Clerk
Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg
Arochi & Lindner
Boehringer Ingelheim International
Herzog Fox & Neeman
- Managing the patent portfolio of Monsanto Technology.
- Overseeing Procter & Gamble’s IP portfolio, including carrying out a large records change for P&G Health Germany.
- Managing the patent portfolio of Boehringer Ingelheim International.
Arias > Firm Profile
Our firm: Arias is the leading global business law firm in Central America and the firm of choice in the region. The firm stands out for providing innovative and effective solutions that help clients achieve their business goals, while enjoying the benefits of working with an integrated firm. With a presence in six countries through seven offices, 42 partners, and 130 highly trained and experienced attorneys with offices in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama.
Since 1942, Arias has been setting the standards in the region by combining its global reach with local expertise, and providing a visionary outlook on the world’s business environment.
Our team: Among our staff, we have attorneys with many years’ experience in several practice areas combined with young lawyers, which means our firm is constantly innovating and adapting to today’s world needs, ensuring it offers our clients the best legal talent in the region.
Areas of practice: Arias is a full-service firm, providing advice in over 33 practice areas, with renowned specialists in each jurisdiction. Some of the firm’s main practice areas include: corporate, antitrust, mergers and acquisitions, tax, arbitration and litigation, compliance, banking and finance, intellectual property, labor law, energy, oil and gas, real estate, immigration, and general counsel services, among others.
Our focus: We make things happen
We provide creative and innovative legal solutions that add value to our clients, taking the time to know and understand their business goals, while always focused on providing reliable and accurate legal services, with their best interests in mind.
The firm advises on local and cross-border transactions, assisting some of the major international corporations doing business in the region, and also providing legal support to local clients going abroad.
Recognitions and awards
Consistently, we have been honored with important recognitions and awards such as “Firm of the Year in Central America”, “Firm of the year” in the countries we operate, “Client Service Award”, “Best Regional Firm for Women in Business Law”, “Deal of the Year”, among other relevant regional and local awards for the firm and our members.
We promote diversity within the firm, professional growth is based on each individual’s merit regardless of the gender or ethnics.
- 47% of our partners are women
- 48% of our associates are women
- 57% of our management positions are held by women
- 100% of our managing partners are women
2,000 Pro-bono hours per year
Corporate social responsibility and Pro-bono work have always been an important part of our DNA. We believe that it is everyone’s responsibility to inspire and generate positive changes in our environment in order to achieve and ensure a better future for the next generations.
Spanish, English, French, German, and Portuguese
|Managing partner, Head of Banking and Finance, Tax, M&A, Corporate and Commercial||Evangelina Lardizábalfirstname.lastname@example.org||+(504) 22214505|
|Partner, Head of Litigation||Fanny Rodríguezemail@example.com||+(504) 22214505|
|Partner, Head of Corporate, Commercial and M&A||Mario Agüerofirstname.lastname@example.org||+(504) 22214505|
|Partner, Head of Intellectual Property||Sonia Urbinaemail@example.com||+(504) 22214505|