Felsberg Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Firm Profile
Felsberg Advogados Offices
AV. CIDADE JARDIM, 803, 5º ANDAR
EDIFÍCIO CIDADE JARDIM
SÃO PAULO, SP 01453-000
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Client Testimonials
- Diversity/Pro Bono/CSR
- Comparative Guides
Felsberg Advogados > The Legal 500 Rankings
Felsberg Advogados has a long history advising on Brazilian restructuring and insolvency cases. This is thanks in part to the pioneering expertise of founding partner Thomas Benes Felsberg, who remains a leading figure in the market. He is backed by a strong team of partners, including Fabiana Solano and Clara Moreira Azzoni. The team regularly advises creditors and distressed-debt investors, but it is for its debtor-led work that it is best known. Its workload encompasses advice on out-of-court restructurings and complex judicial insolvencies. Recent mandates include assisting Renova Energia on its R$3.1bn judicial recovery and debt restructuring, while on the creditor side, it assisted 18,000 bondholders on the restructuring of toll road company Concessionária Rodovias do Tietê.
Thomas Felsberg; Fabiana Solano; Clara Moreira Azzoni
‘Deep knowledge of the legislation and jurisprudence of judicial recovery. A full service firm: in addition to questions related to restructuring, it has the ability to support all other legal segments.’
‘Fabiana Solano: deep knowledge, support and coordination of all customer needs, empathy. Strategist, negotiator and conciliator.’
Caixa Economica Federal
Isolux Corsan Corvian
- Advising Renova Energia on its judicial recovery and R$3.1bn debt restructuring process, as well as in corporate matters regarding the relationship between the board members and the partners, and in relevant financing agreements.
- Advising Brazilian sugar and ethanol producer Grupo Moreno on its filing for judicial recovery, as well as in tax matters.
- Represented bookstore chain Livraria Cultura on its R$285m judicial reorganisation.
Brazil > Environment Tier 3The environment, sustainability and waste practice at Felsberg Advogados stands out for its specialist knowledge of solid waste disposal matters and reverse logistic plans. The team is a go-to destination for clients from the pharmaceutical, chemical, electric and electronic equipment industries seeking advice in relation to non-contentious matters and litigation. Areas of strength include assisting with the negotiation of product take-back agreements and sector-related class actions. Fabricio Soler, who specialises in waste management matters, oversees the group, which has been increasingly active advising on land contamination cases involving multiple stakeholders. Tasso Cipriano - who made partner in January 2022 - is another name to note in the team; he is experienced in site contamination and waste management matters.
‘The excellent quality of legal advice provided by Fabricio Soler and his team regarding the legal and technical aspects of waste management, urban environment and sustainability make the firm stand out.’
‘Fabricio Soler and Tasso Cipriano are excellent.’
‘Firm with recognised expertise in solid waste management.’
‘Personalised service by the environmental area. Fabricio Soler is accessible. He leads the team that is very knowledgeable.’
ABREE – Associação Brasileira de Reciclagem de Eletroeletrônicos e Eletrodomésticos
ELETROS – Associação Nacional de Fabricantes de Produtos Eletroeletrônicos
Samsung Eletrônica da Amazônia
Brother International Corporation do Brasil
Ingram Micro do Brasil
Ypê (Química Amparo)
- Advises ELETROS, the National Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE) Manufacturers Association, in relation to consulting and litigation matters on waste regulations.
- Advises the Brazilian Association of the Personal Hygiene, Perfumery and Cosmetics Industries on its packaging take-back programme.
- Represents SELURB, ABLP and ABETRE, three of the most important associations in the waste management sector, before the Supreme Federal Court in a matter which discusses the financing of sanitation and waste management services.
Felsberg Advogados enjoys a good reputation in the market, having established strong credentials for assisting employers with the full range of contentious and non-contentious labour law matters. On the litigation side, the team regularly defends clients against claims brought by senior executives, major unions and District Attorney's offices. Consultancy support on compensation plans, collective negotiations and compliance programmes also feature prominently in the team's workload. In addition, the team has been busy advising clients on the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic, including providing advice on reduced working hours, redundancies and remote working policies. The firm's highly versatile partners Maurício Pepe de Lion and Ana Cristina Valentim are very well regarded.
Mauricio Pepe de Lion; Ana Cristina Valentim
‘Partnership, transparency and agility.’
‘Mauricio Pepe De Leon stands out for his availability and technical competence.’
‘Ana Cristina Valentim is very capable and available, and perfectly understands the client’s needs.’
‘Mauricio de Lion has a natural way of approaching the client, far beyond answering questions about what he can and cannot do, he provides a real consultancy work. Concerned with the client’s reality and which solution is more assertive for its clients.’
FieldCore – A GE Company
Moog do Brasil Controles
Maxetron Serviços de Tecnologia e Informações
Rema Tip Top
- Defended FieldCore – A GE Company in lawsuits involving work-related accidents, as well as various issues linked to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Atvos | Odebrecht Agroindustrial on several civil inquiries initiated by the Labour District Attorney’s office.
- Advise DB Schenker on all areas of labour law, including negotiations with labour unions, as well as administrative and judicial disputes.
Brazil > Public law Tier 3
Companies operating in the sanitation, technology, telecoms, agribusiness, infrastructure, energy and chemicals sectors regularly turn to Felsberg Advogados' public law and regulatory team for assistance with proceedings before the judiciary, regulatory agencies and local authorities across Brazil. Leading the practice is public law and life sciences specialist Marianne Albers, who receives key support from Rodrigo Bertoccelli and Felipe Cesar Lourenço, both of whom possess years of experience in bidding procedures and administrative contracts. Bertoccelli is a go-to counsel for clients active in the sanitation sector and looking for advice on public service concessions and PPPs, while Lourenço stands out for his track record in administrative proceedings and regulatory matters.
‘Transparency and clarity in communication; technical quality of the team.’
‘Marianne Albers is recommended for her communication and negotiation skills.’
Cummins do Brasil
Ecolab do Brasil
Amil – UHG Brasil
- Retained by BNDES in a public bid to develop a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services to the state of Alagoas.
- Assisted China Railway 20 Bureau Group and CCCC – China Communications Construction Company/Concremat in a public consultation involving the sponsored concession PPP to construct and operate the Salvador-Itaparica Bridge.
- Reviewing the current legal framework for public procurement of innovation to advise the United Kingdom Prosperity Fund together with the World Bank in devising the Smart Mobility app for implementation in the municipality of São Paulo.
Felsberg Advogados' data protection and technology team works in close collaboration with the innovation, start-ups and venture capital practice to provide full-service advice to start-ups, investment funds, financial institutions and emerging companies across a range of sectors, including fintech, healthtech, insurtech and biotechnology. The team is singled out for its strong transactional and corporate capabilities; Evy Marques is the name to note for this type of work and is praised for having 'a complete knowledge of this area of practice'. João Carlos Mendonça is another key contact for tech and healthcare companies in transactional matters. Clarissa Luz's arrival in 2019 further strengthened the firm's technology offering, especially on the data protection front.
Evy Marques; Clarissa Luz; João Carlos Mendonça
‘Speed and ability to see legal matters from an entrepreneur’s point of view. Ability to advise new and disruptive businesses. João Carlos Mendonça is excellent.’
‘Evy Marques has a complete knowledge of this area of practice, and provides in-depth analyses of matters.’
‘Commitment to the client. João Carlos Mendonça is recommended.’
‘Extremely competent professionals with mastery of legal matter. Excellent relationship with clients. Evy Marques has an above-average capacity to understand a very specific business such as ours; she has a fantastic reading of negotiation situations.’
The Not Company
Hands Market Brasil
- Advising ClickBus on the structuring of a new business model called ClickBus X, consisting of the commercialisation of vacant seats through its online platform.
- Assisting Blackboard, a platform with innovative technologies and services in connection with education, with the structuring of its digital business in Brazil.
- Advising TSYS, a provider of seamless, secure and innovative solutions to payment card issuers, on negotiating and drafting technology services agreements, which involve the license of software and the internet security policy of TSYS.
Brazil > Corporate and M&A Tier 4
‘Commitment, respect, determination, firmness and agility‘ characterise the corporate and M&A team at Felsberg Advogados, which balances a broad and active practice, with recent work spanning complex M&A, corporate restructurings and other corporate and commercial matters. The broader firm’s prominence in restructuring and insolvency means that its corporate department is particularly well placed to advise on distressed M&A. Also of note is the department’s innovation, start-ups and venture capital sub-group, which had a busy year in 2020, advising investors and start-up companies on investment rounds and other matters. Gender diversity is another important feature of the firm, which has a high proportion of female partners. Its DiversiFeA committee focuses on equality, diversity and inclusion at the firm, which also participates in the Aliança Jurídica para Equidade Racial. On the pro bono side, partners and associates at the firm support a number of organisations, including Associação Vaga Lume (which empowers children in rural areas in the Amazon through promoting reading and community libraries), Instituto Fashion Revolution Brasil and autism and learning difficulties organisation Projeto Amplitude. Highly regarded partners in the sizeable team include Claudia Maniaci, Miriam Machado, João Carlos Mendonça, Evy Marques and Maria Carolina Guazzelli. Names to note at the associate level include Matheus Cestari Mota, Bárbara Nátali Santos, Lucas von Wieser Ruggeri and Gleycon Jonathan Queiróz. Since publication, Mirella Kaufmann was promoted to partner, in January 2022.
Claudia Maniaci; Miriam Machado; Evy Marques; João Carlos Mendonça; Maria Carolina Guazzelli; Renato Brandão
‘Felsberg Advogados is an excellent partner for us, we feel secure in relation to our operations in Brazil. It facilitates communication and alignment with our headquarters. I recommend Felsberg to all companies that seek quality legal advice, knowledge and efficiency with the agencies!‘
‘Dr. Carolina and Dr. Cláudia have always been very attentive and available to us. Excellent professionals and great people!‘
‘Commitment, respect, determination, firmness and agility added to the vast experience are the strengths that differentiate Felsberg Advogados from other players in the market. Evy Marques stands out for her knowledge in the corporate field as well as for the voracious interest in the technology and innovation market, always being ahead of our demands and bringing a lot of security.’
‘Deep knowledge of the laws and jurisprudence in several countries of the world. Experience and good practices in business management. Pro activity promoting lectures on the most relevant topics in the market. I would highlight Mauricio Pepe De Lion; Gabriel Paranaguá and Maria Carolina de Guazzelli.’
‘They have a complete team in all areas, so when we have a topic to be discussed I am sure that we will have an answer that has already been discussed with all members and thus bringing us much more security. João Carlos Mendonça and Matheus Cestari Mota and Gleycon Jonathan Queiroz stand out.’
‘The firm works well, from smaller operations that involve investments in start-ups to structured investments in large companies. This flexibility and multiple knowledge adds a lot to talk about when structuring different investments. Evy Marques is creative, fast, with in-depth knowledge of the sector.’
‘Evy Marques pays attention to the client and understands everything they are going through. Giving not only legal guidance, but giving support to the way the negotiations are going on. Bárbara Nátali is always attentive to details. It can be seen that she is concerned with helping in the best possible way.’
‘The firm presents an excellent rendering of service in corporate, tax and labour. The team led by Claudia Maniaci always has a proactive management in the relationship and conducting business. Also noteworthy are Lucas von Wieser Ruggeri and Gabriel Paranagua in the tax area.’
ABREE – Associação Brasileira de Reciclagem de Eletroeletrônicos e Eletrodomésticos
CCCC South America Regional Company
Hands Market Brasil
- Advising two different transportation companies on the structuring of new digital business platforms.
- Assisted the shareholders of SmartSmile in the disposal of 100% of the equity to private investors.
- Advised the Desempar Group, one of the main players in the agricultural inputs distribution market in the south of Brazil, in the sale of the group companies to Lavoro Agro, held by Pátria Investimentos.
Brazil > Life sciences Tier 4
The multi-disciplinary life sciences team at Felsberg Advogados acts for healthcare and pharmaceutical companies, and is also a popular choice for clients in the food and beverage sector. Among its areas of expertise are the Brazilian regulatory framework, sanctioning proceedings before Anvisa and other health agencies, product registration and advertising, and life sciences compliance and corporate ethics. Life sciences, public law and regulatory specialist Marianne Albers is 'an outstanding adviser, with a very strong knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry'. IP expert Diego Vieira is another key contact.
‘The advice received from Felsberg Advogados has always been very pragmatic, business oriented and of high quality. In general terms, I would recommend Felsberg for, while keeping a high quality of legal advice, having a pragmatic approach focused on problem solving.’
‘Marianne Albers is an outstanding adviser, with a very strong knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry.’
‘Agility in the answers and knowledge of the client.’
‘The office has an excellent back office team that performs many bureaucratic activities in a short time. Lawyers can dedicate themselves to specific topics and clients.‘
‘Claudia Maniaci and Lucas von Wieser Ruggeri are recommended.’
Exeltis Laboratórios do Brasil
Ypê – Química Amparo
Hospital das Clínicas da Universidade de São Paulo (HCFMUSP)
- Acts as legal counsel for Exeltis in Brazil in a broad range of regulatory and contractual matters.
- Advised Monster Energy on regulatory matters connected to its launch of new drinks, classified by Anvisa as liquid dietary supplements.
- Advising Chilean-based start-up NotCo, which produces plant-based foods, on its establishment, growth and sale of products in Brazil.
Tax > Tax advisory Tier 4
Felsberg Advogados offers a broad mix of advisory and litigation support to its international and domestic clients. The firm's market-leading insolvency practice gives it an edge when considering related tax disputes and liabilities for companies in restructuring. The litigation side of the practice is especially strong. Rio de Janeiro-based practice head Ivan Campos is also known for his telecoms expertise. Anna Flávia de Azevedo Izelli Greco heads the active tax litigation side of the practice, with support from Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves. Rafael Macedo Malheiro is a key contact for consulting advice.
Ivan Campos; Anna Flávia de Azevedo Izelli; Rafael Macedo Malheiro; Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves
‘Speed, availability, efficiency, quality of work and customer service.’
‘Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves, Anna Flávia de Azevedo Izelli and Gabriel Paranaguá are recommeded.’
Fundação Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo – OSESP
Centurylink Comunicações do Brasil
Boehringer Ingelheim do Brasil Química e Farmacêutica
Omron Componentes Automotivos
CTC – Centro de Tecnologia Canavieira
Arris Indústria Eletrônica do Brasil
Centro Saneamento e Serviços Avançados
- Advising the orchestra group OSESP – Fundação Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo on the right to not pay social contribution tax (COFINS) on revenues derived from its core activities.
- Advised events company T4F Entretenimento in a dispute with several municipalities over the collection of Taxes on Services.
- Representing Centurylink in disputes against ANATEL (National Telecommunications Agency) aimed at collecting contribution to FUST (Fund to improve the general access to telecommunications services) and Contribution to FUNTTEL (National Telecommunications Fund).
Brazil > Banking and finance Tier 5
Felsberg Advogados has an active transactional banking practice led by the well-regarded Maria da Graça. The practice stands out in project and aviation finance, and represents a mix of banks, borrowers and multilateral agencies. Other areas of expertise include structured and acquisition finance, securitisations and syndicated loans. The department expanded in July 2021 with the arrival of banking and capital markets expert Ricardo Higashitani from KLA Advogados.
Maria da Graça
‘The firm provides the services for which it had been hired with extreme quality.’
‘The office acted in causes of enormous importance to the company I work for, always demonstrating availability, care and technical quality.’
Bank Leumi USA
- Advised BNP Paribas on the release of a guarantee granted by Tradecorp do Brasil Comércio de Insumos Agrícolas as part of a €628.3m security package of senior facilities.
- Advised Bank Leumi USA on a $20m secured credit facility extended to Marco International Corporation and other companies, including Marco Brasil Industria e Distribuição de Produtos Siderurgicos.
- Advised Bank Leumi USA on a $24m credit line to Stemcor USA.
Felsberg Advogados' arbitration team remains busy, handling a mix of domestic and cross-border matters on behalf of clients from the food, transport, energy and construction sectors. Key areas of focus include cases concerning conflicts arising from M&A transactions, financing, construction and commercial contracts as well as environmental matters. Leading the department is Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes, who possesses strong capabilities in civil and commercial arbitration.
Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes
‘They demonstrate great and solid experience in arbitration. The availability and direct involvement of the responsible partner makes them stand out. Marcus Matteucci is recommended.’
‘Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes is a leading partner in the field, but in the cases where I worked with him, I could see that he is personally involved to a high degree. I believe this is the main quality of this arbitration team – involvement of the leading partners.’
‘Marcus Matteucci is very involved in the cases, prepares extremely in-depth legal proceedings with great quality.’
‘Dedication and competence distinguish these professionals.’
Felsberg Advogados is skilled at assisting with the development and management of infrastructure projects, most notably in the sanitation and waste management sectors. Practitioners are also seasoned in PPPs, concessions and project finance. The latter is an area of particular expertise for department co-head Maria da Graça Pedretti. She oversees the group with Rodrigo Bertoccelli, who has a strong background in corporate law, and is retained by domestic and international infrastructure groups in the energy, transport, basic sanitation and urban mobility sectors.
Maria da Graça Pedretti; Rodrigo de Pinho Bertoccelli
GS Inima Brasil
Teixeira Duarte Engenharia e Construções
- Retained by BNDES in a public bid to develop a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services to the state of Alagoas.
- Advised China Railway 20 Bureau Group and CCCC – China Communications Construction Company / Concremat on the SEINFRA Public Consultation No. 001/2018 for the sponsored concession PPP to construct and operate the Salvador-Itaparica Bridge.
- Assisting Acciona Infraestruture in issues related to the feasibility of sanitation projects and regulatory issues, including the desalination project in the metropolitan region of Fortaleza, in Ceará state.
With offices in Rio de Janeiro, Brasília and São Paulo, Felsberg Advogados prides itself on rendering the full range of dispute resolution services, covering domestic and cross-border litigation and mediation matters. The department's caseload attests to its ability to act across a wide range of sectors, including energy, construction and transport, and to handle a variety of contentious matters arising from corporate issues, M&A, consumer law and financing contracts. Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes leads the practice, which also includes Eduardo Périllier, who focuses on judicial restructuring.
Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes
‘The technical quality and commitment of the team stand out.’
‘Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes is great.’
‘Excellent service. They pay attention to the details of each case. Dedication to understanding the facts and technical particularities of the subject matter.’
Votener – Votorantim Comercializadora de Energia
T4F Entretenimento (Time 4 Fun)
MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company
WPP do Brasil Participações
Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional – CSN
Francisco Biazi Filho
- Assisting Votener in a collection claim in the 33rd Civil State Court of São Paulo against Coenergy Comercializadora de Energia to recover amounts owed as a termination fine of an energy trading agreement.
- Representing Equipav Engenharia in environmental litigation arising from the alleged non-compliance with environmental regulations concerning the MS-040 Highway.
- Acting for Renova Energia in enforcement proceedings filed by Banco Citibank to collect the amount represented by a credit note issued by the client.
Felsberg Advogados established a white-collar crime and corporate investigations practice in 2018 with the arrival of criminal law expert André Fonseca, who has former experience at the State Attorney General’s Office for the State of São Paulo as well as in other renowned law firms.
Felsberg Advogados > Firm Profile
Felsberg Advogados is a full-service law firm founded in 1970 and defined by its ability to combine experience, tradition and excellence with efficient, fast and focused service, offering innovative solutions in a constantly changing world.
The combination of individual, joint and complementary values, with a tradition established over five decades of service, means that we have a broad and all-encompassing vision that meets the current and future legal requirements of all our clients, from the biggest corporate groups to the freshest of startups.
This is what makes us unique, different and prepared.
Both eyes on the present with the future in sight.
Other fee-earners: 90
|Restructuring & Insolvency; Arbitration and Mediation; Governmental Relations; Aviation||Thomas Benes Felsbergfirstname.lastname@example.org||(55 11) 3141-9101|
|Banking and Finance; Capital Markets; Aviation||Maria da Graça Pedretti||(55 11) 3141-9102|
|Corporate and M&A||Evy Marques|
|Corporate and M&A||Claudia Maniaci|
|Corporate and M&A||Miriam Machado|
|Corporate and M&A||João Carlos Mendonça|
|Corporate and M&A||Maria Carolina Guazzelli|
|Corporate and M&A||Renato Brandão|
|Labor and Employment||Maurício Pepe De Lion|
|Labor and Employment||Ana Cristina Valentim|
|Tax||Anna Flávia de Azevedo Izelli Greco|
|Tax||Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves|
|Dispute Resolution||Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes|
|Dispute Resolution||Eduardo Périllier|
|Restructuring and Insolvency||Fabiana Solano|
|Restructuring and Insolvency||Clara Moreira Azzoni|
|White-Collar Crime and Corporate Investigations||André Fonseca|
|Data Protection and Technology||Clarissa Luz|
|Intellectual Property||Diego Goulart de Oliveira Vieira|
|Environment, Sustainability and Waste||Fabrico Soler|
|Electric Power||Ligia Schlittler|
|Life Sciences||Marianne Albers|
|Banking and Finance||Ricardo Higashitani|
|Infrastructure||Rodrigo de Pinho Bertoccelli|
|Real Estate||Tatiana Guerra|
Staff FiguresPartners : 28 Other fee-earners : 90
LanguagesPortuguese English German Italian Spanish
MembershipsMeritas Law Firms Worldwide LegaLink
CLIENT: Sergio Herz
COMPANY/FIRM: Livraria Cultura
TESTIMONIAL: We consider ourselves very privileged to be able to work with Felsberg Advogados. They are a team with very high technical knowledge. The dedication and commitment to resolving customer issues is truly impressive. We have complete confidence that we are working with the best. This brings us a lot of security and tranquility so that we can focus on our business.
We are committed to encouraging social, cultural and educational projects. Among the projects we support are Vaga Lume (creating and maintaining libraries in the Amazon), APAQ (treatment of burns victims), and AB2L (for the creation of dialogue among law firms and tech companies). Our fashion law team, in particular, devotes pro bono hours to two institutes in the fashion industry: Fashion Revolution (uniting the fashion industry in the way clothes are sourced, produced and consumed) and Instituto Alinha (connecting small workshops with designers and brands at fair prices and deadlines).
Our pro bono program was restructured and expanded on 11 August 2021, commemorating Lawyers’ Day. In addition to our focus on the fashion sector, we are expanding our pro bono ambit to cover ESG, diversity, education, and the fight against hunger.
We focus on selecting and rewarding the best minds, regardless of gender, color, social class, sexual or religious orientation. Respect for diversity is reflected in our values. Among our partners, more than 50% are women, and within our office as a whole, 57% are women. Salary levels for men and women are equal within each function. Healthcare benefits are extended to all spouses, regardless of sexual orientation. DiversiFeA, our Committee of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion comprising partners, other fee-earners and staff, promotes regular initiatives and events for the well-being of all members of the firm.
- Restructuring and insolvency
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labour and employment
- Public law
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business