Felsberg Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Firm Profile
Felsberg Advogados Offices
AV. CIDADE JARDIM, 803, 5º ANDAR
EDIFÍCIO CIDADE JARDIM
SÃO PAULO, SP 01453-000
Felsberg Advogados > The Legal 500 RankingsFelsberg Advogados handles an impressive volume of mid-market deals ranging from M&A to incorporations, restructurings and joint ventures. Rated for its strong presence in the technology sector, it is a go-to choice for investors, private equity firms, financial institutions, emerging growth businesses and venture capital funds. The group frequently works in close collaboration with the firm’s bankruptcy and restructuring practice, and is also well placed to handle distressed M&A and corporate reorganisations. Buyers, sellers and investors (most notably clients operating in the pharmaceutical segment), often turn to Claudia Maniaci for assistance in corporate transactions. Evy Marques, who leads the start-ups and venture capital group, is also noted for her longstanding experience in M&A, corporate matters and commercial contracts. The ‘extremely technical’ João Carlos Mendonça specialises in cryptocurrency and blockchain, and is often engaged in corporate matters involving the tech sector. Maria Carolina Guazzelli is a key contact for retail and luxury goods companies, while Anneliese Eger is often retained by French and German clients in relation to their business endeavours in Brazil. Focused on M&A, contracts and technology, Gleycon Jonathan Queiróz stands out at the associate level, as does Bárbara Nátali Santos, who works in M&A and private equity transactions.
Claudia Maniaci; Evy Marques; João Carlos Mendonça; Maria Carolina Guazzelli; Anneliese Eger
‘The team at Felsberg Advogados is complete and has strong expertise in deals in transport and technology sectors. Strong ability to think and structure solutions for the client’s business model in a solid and creative way.’
‘João Carlos Mendonça and Gleycon Queiróz are both very competent and always available. They go in search of a solution for a specific case, are very objective and fast.’
‘Excellent professionals, impeccable and fast technical service.’
‘João Carlos is excellent, helpful and extremely technical, focused exactly on what we need and always thinking about optimizing and growing our business.’
‘We are always assisted in any matter related to our company with greater respect and efficiency.’
‘Our contact since the beginning is Anneliese Eger, with whom we have a sensational professional relationship. She takes care of our needs quickly and efficiently, she proves her absolute competence in her field and always comes up with concrete suggestions.’
‘My experience with the team has always been positive; deadlines are always met.’
Preformed Line Products Company (PLP)
- Advised Rema Tip Top Serviços de Vulcanização on the acquisition of 100% of the corporate capital of Tecnolita Industrial.
- Assisted Blockchain Coinvestors Acquisition Corp I, a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), with the acquisition of a minority stake in the financial technology company Qenta.
- Advised Paranapanema on the preparation of the necessary corporate acts related to the request of its judicial reorganisation.
Thomas Felsberg; Fabiana Solano; Clara Moreira Azzoni; Thiago Dias Costa
‘The firm has a lot of experience and contacts in the sector, which makes all the difference in cases of restructuring that involve a lot of negotiations.’
‘Vitoria Vaccari Villa Boacnin- young, fast, knowledgeable and efficient. I really like working with her.’
‘Quality and agility in the provision of the service and mainly for the commitment in sending updates on the demands.’
‘Clara Moreira Azzoni – unique professional. Impeccable quality and knowledge in the area of business recovery. She passes a lot of legal certainty when issuing opinions.’
‘The team is highly qualified and has outstanding level of expertise in restructuring and insolvency. They are updated with daily changes in Brazil law and jurisprudence, and a pioneer in new developments or achievements in this branch of law.’
‘The individuals are specialised and focused in the area, and they are well prepared to share and coordinate the responsibilities through the other members reaching amazing results.’
- Representing Paranapanema in its judicial reorganisation process involving R$450m in debt.
- Advising Grupo Moreno on its judicial recovery.
- Advised Mobius Capital as potential purchaser, together with Grupo Santa Helena, of the bankrupt estate of sugar and ethanol producer Usina São Fernando.
Brazil > Environment Tier 3Felsberg Advogados has established a niche specialism in waste management work, demonstrating strong capabilities in matters concerning the implementation of circular economy and take-back programmes. The firm, which is a go-to choice for industry associations, is turned to by clients from the worlds of electronics, food and beverages, and pharmaceuticals, which engage it in policy-making matters, environmental compliance and contamination cases. Climate change and ESG issues, including carbon credits and climate litigation, also feature in the firm’s workload. Fabricio Soler, who is often involved in studies for the World Bank, the United Nations and the National Confederation Industry, is a reference in the Brazilian legal market for waste law and environmental compliance. He heads up the team alongside senior associate Daniela Mota, who specialises in biodiversity issues, ESG and sanitation-related matters. Associate Rafael Locatelli is another practitioner to note for waste management, contaminated sites and protected areas.
Fabricio Soler; Daniela Mota
‘Felsberg Advogados stands out for its knowledge in relation to sustainability issues, in particular the National Solid Waste Policy. The team manages to provide quality information in a timely manner on the progress of these issues in all spheres of government. It is a reference in the definition of decrees, laws and public policy on the subject.’
‘Fabricio stands out for his notoriety in the subject, his ability to translate technical topics in a clear and concise way, in addition to always being available to clients.’
ABAL (Associação Brasileira do Alumínio)
ECP (Economia Circular Participações)
Mais Brasil Recicláveis
- Assisted Paranapanema in obtaining an authorisation from the environmental agency for the resumption of exports of anodic sludge that were stopped in September 2021.
- Represents SELURB, ABLP and ABETRE as amici curiae before the Brazilian Supreme Court in an appeal which discusses the financing of sanitation and waste management services.
- Assists ABREE and ELETROS in waste matters, including the negotiation of subordinate legislation with governmental authorities and defence against penalties imposed by environmental authorities.
Brazil > Public law Tier 3At Felsberg Advogados, the ‘diligent, knowledgeable and caring’ public law department is geared to handle advisory, contentious and administrative law matters. Active in a wide range of segments, including media, energy, oil and gas, sanitation and telecoms, the team is typically engaged in large infrastructure projects, bidding procedures and PPPs. Singled out for her extensive experience in public law and life sciences, Marianne Albers excels in proceedings and negotiations before regulatory agencies. She co-leads the practice with Rodrigo Bertoccelli, a go-to adviser for infrastructure projects, with a focus on the sanitation and mobility sectors.
Marianne Albers; Rodrigo Bertoccelli
‘Diligent, knowledgeable and caring.’
Campo Grande City Hall
Cassilandia City Hall
Fundação Agência da Bacia Hidrográfica do Alto Tietê (FABHAT)
Ogilvy & Mather
- Acted for BNDES in a public bid concerning a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services in the state of Alagoas.
- Advised BNDES on the development of a PPP for the concession of water and sewage services in 93 municipalities in the state of Paraíba.
- Assisted Unigel with the risk assessment and due diligence regarding the acquisition of public assets during a divestment proceeding of Petrobrás.
Evy Marques; Clarissa Luz; João Carlos Mendonça
‘Efficent, kind, and always ready to help. The whole team stands out.’
‘Its a highly regarded firm in the market with excellent professionals. They are attentive, polite, and technical. They serve us quickly, efficiently and give us total legal security.’
‘Super competent firm with specialists who are capable of addressing the clients issues and providing the best advice.’
‘I highlight Evy Marques and Bárbara Santos for their professionalism, high level knowledge and ability to deliver quickly without impacting on quality.’
‘The team coordinated by Evy Marques is extremely technical from a legal point of view, while possessing knowledge of the business, market, common practices, and precedents in other countries. A pro-business attitude, efficient, and objective are other key attributes of this team. In addition, the team is led by a female partner and is comprised of female lawyers, which is rare to see.’
Bazar do Consórcio
- Advising Drumwave on the structuring of its digital business.
- Advising Z-Tech on M&A, contractual, IP and tech regulatory matters.
- Advising GoGipsy on the sale of 5% of its share capital and its business as a digital platform.
Brazil > Life sciences Tier 4Demonstrating 'great knowledge of the Brazilian regulatory landscape', the life sciences practice at Felsberg Advogados provides domestic and international clients with 'efficient and business-oriented legal advice', with a particular focus on contractual and regulatory matters involving ANS, ANVISA and MAPA. Other areas of activity include assisting clients in public bids and in the licensing and registration of products and medication. Chairing the practice, Marianne Albers is skilled at representing clients in proceedings before regulatory agencies. Key support is offered by associate Thais Fernandes, who frequently acts in administrative and judicial cases involving the life sciences and healthcare sectors.
‘Marianne Albers is extremely capable and flexible with great availability and prompt service.’
‘Great knowledge of the Brazilian regulatory landscape. Efficient and business-oriented legal advice.’
‘Firm with excellent team of lawyers and seniority. Very competent in the corporate, commercial and civil areas.’
Insud Pharma – Exeltis
Neilmed Tetra Pak
Ypê – Química Amparo
Essity do Brasil Indústria e Comercio
- Advises Merck on regulatory issues, including the pricing of medication.
- Assists Exeltis with regulatory and contractual matters, including licensing, manufacturing and supply agreements and the launch of new medical products.
- Advising Laboratórios Fleury on regulatory matters and agreements.
Maria da Graça Pedretti; Marianne Albers; Rodrigo de Pinho Bertoccelli; Ligia Schlittler
- Retained by BNDES in a public bid to develop a PPP for the provision of water and sewage services in the state of Alagoas.
- Advising BNDES on the ongoing development of a public-private partnership project for the concession of water and sewage services in 93 municipalities in the state of Paraíba.
- Advising the Fundação Agência da Bacia Hidrográfica do Alto Tietê (FABHAT) on the preparation of a public notice for the bidding process for the Integrated Solid Waste Management Plan in Alto Tietê.
Tax > Tax advisory Tier 4Felsberg Advogados has a ‘very technically qualified’ tax team with ‘a deep understanding of the legal framework’. Tax advice linked to major insolvencies and restructurings is a core focus for the practice, which is also skilled at handling complex judicial and administrative proceedings. Anna Flávia De Azevedo Izelli Greco, who leads on tax litigation matters, also advises on customs issues and M&A due diligence. Tax litigation and consulting are core areas of activity for Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves, while the recently promoted Gabriel Paranaguá and Rafael Macedo Malheiro are entirely devoted to non-contentious tax mandates. Practice head Ivan Campos is particularly noted for his considerable experience in the telecoms sector. Former partner Flavia Ganzella is no longer at the firm.
Ivan Campos; Anna Flávia de Azevedo Izelli Greco; Rafael Malheiro; Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves
‘The team is very technically qualified, with a deep understanding of the legal framework. We feel well taken care of and they are always available when we need them. Another important point is the real proactivity of the team members.’
‘Gabriel Paranaguá: excellent knowledge of tax law, precise insertions and comments relevant to our business. He is proactive, always seeking to bring us solutions.’
‘It is a complete firm, where you have all the support areas with full knowledge.’
‘The team is specialised, always looking to bring us news from the tax world. It provides efficient services.’
‘Anna Izelli always responds quickly, demonstrating that she knows the market and theses with great expertise.’
‘Firm with a very good reputation, acts proactively with technical knowledge and excellent services.’
‘Gabriel Paranaguá – proactive and with great knowledge of tax issues.’
‘Rodrigo Prado – great knowledge of the tax area’
World Resources Institute
Fundação Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo – OSESP
Centurylink Comunicações do Brasil
Boehringer Ingelheim do Brasil Química e Farmacêutica
Arris Indústria Eletrônica do Brasil (Commscope)
- Successfully represented Eutelsat do Brasil in a judicial claim that recognised it was not subject to ICMS in the provision of satellite services.
- Advised Paranapanema on the tax aspects of the $479m debt restructuring that was not subject to judicial reorganisation.
- Assisting Kanjiko do Brasil Indústria Automotiva in an administrative dispute with the state tax authorities over the payment of ICMS.
Brazil > Banking and finance Tier 5Felsberg Advogados has made a strong push into the banking and finance space. With partner Ricardo Higashitani firmly embedded into the team, the firm’s offering in cross-border syndicated loans and other forms of complex financing and debt restructuring has been significantly enhanced. The practice has a strong foundation in project and aviation finance, with Maria Da Graça Pedretti playing an active role in these areas. The team acts for major banks, multilateral lenders, and borrowers, which not only instruct it in transactional work, but also seek advice on administrative proceedings and interactions with the main financial service regulators.
Maria da Graça Pedretti; Ricardo Higashitani
Bank Leumi USA
Standard Bank Group
Stifel Bank & Trust
The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited
Armco do Brasil
- Assisted Paranapanema in renegotiating of $479m in financial debts.
- Advising Standard Bank of South Africa on a ZAR500m loan to InterCement South Africa Proprietary Limited, as well as subordination instrument and guarantee by InterCement Participações.
- Advised Armco on the renegotiation of R$315m in debts arising from the issuance of debentures and banking credit certificates.
‘My experience with Felsberg was very positive. Its representatives acted in an agile and integrated way, providing diagnosis, proposals and actions effectively.’
Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes
‘For me, the great differential of this office in arbitration cases is the very high involvement of the partners. They are very present and involved with the case.’
‘I’d highlight Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes.’
Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes; Eduardo Périllier
Lactalis do Brasil – Comércio, Importação e Exportação de Laticínios
Banco do Brasi
JVC Kenwood do Brasil Comércio de Eletrônicos
- Acting for Parmalat in a trade mark dispute heard before the 32nd Civil State Court of São Paulo.
- Representing Equipav Engenharia in an environmental public civil action in the 1st Civil State Court of Campo Grande.
- Advises several shareholders of the Athens, Lugano, and San Marino FIDIC managed by Global Invest Asset Management and BNY Mellon Serviços Financeiros Distribuidora de Titulos e Valores Mobiliarios on a case before the 1st Business Court of Rio de Janeiro.
Felsberg Advogados > Firm Profile
Felsberg Advogados is a full-service law firm founded in 1970 and defined by its ability to combine experience, tradition and excellence with efficient, fast and focused service, offering innovative solutions in a constantly changing world.
The combination of individual, joint and complementary values, with a tradition which has been established for over five decades, means that we have a broad and all-encompassing vision that meets the current and future legal requirements of all our clients, from the biggest corporate groups to the newest of startups.
This is what makes us unique, different and prepared.
Both eyes on the present with the future in sight.
Other fee-earners: 70
|Restructuring & Insolvency; Arbitration and Mediation; Governmental Relations; Aviation||Thomas Benes Felsbergemail@example.com||(55 11) 3141-9101|
|Banking and Finance; Capital Markets; Aviation||Maria da Graça Pedretti||(55 11) 3141-9102|
|Corporate and M&A||Evy Marques|
|Corporate and M&A||Claudia Maniaci|
|Corporate and M&A||João Carlos Mendonça|
|Corporate and M&A||Maria Carolina Guazzelli|
|Dispute Resolution||Marcus Alexandre Matteucci Gomes|
|Dispute Resolution||Eduardo Périllier|
|White-Collar Crime and Corporate Investigations||André Fonseca|
|Tax||Anna Flávia de Azevedo Izelli Greco|
|Tax||Rodrigo Prado Gonçalves|
|Restructuring and Insolvency||Fabiana Solano|
|Restructuring and Insolvency||Clara Moreira Azzoni|
|Restructuring and Insolvency||Thiago Dias Costa|
|Real Estate||Tatiana Guerra|
|Infrastructure||Rodrigo de Pinho Bertoccelli|
|Data Protection and Technology||Clarissa Luz|
|Intellectual Property||Diego Goulart de Oliveira Vieira|
|Environment, Sustainability and Waste||Fabrico Soler|
|Electric Power||Ligia Schlittler|
|Life Sciences||Marianne Albers|
|Banking and Finance||Ricardo Higashitani|
|Corporate and M&A||Anneliese Eger|
|Real Estate||Rodrigo Amaral|
|Agribusiness||Daniel Vallandro Tronco|
Staff FiguresPartners : 29 Other fee-earners : 70
LanguagesPortuguese English German Italian Spanish
MembershipsMeritas Law Firms Worldwide Legalink
CLIENT: Carlos Alberto Moreno
COMPANY/FIRM: Grupo Moreno
TESTIMONIAL: Grupo Moreno was advised by Felsberg Advogados in the conduct of its judicial reorganization proceedings. The team of highly dedicated, specialized and extremely competent lawyers successfully achieved the objective we sought, allowing the group to maintain its regular operational activities and restore its economic and financial health.
CLIENT: Felipe Canonenco
COMPANY/FIRM: FieldCore (General Electric Group)
TESTIMONIAL: We have been working with Felsberg Advogados since 2015. During all these years, partner and manager of the labor area Maurício Pepe De Lion and his team of excellent professionals have always provided a service of excellence and absolute competence. We had important cases of union negotiations and critical labor lawsuits, in which we were successful due to the experience of Maurício and his team. I would also like to emphasize the extensive advisory support and careful analysis provided by Maurício and his team, who also give great assistance to the Compliance and Global Legal area of our Company.
CLIENT: Emanuela Cabib
COMPANY/FIRM: Renova Energia
TESTIMONIAL: The partnership with Felsberg Advogados is strategic for conducting our business. With an interdisciplinary and high-level team, Felsberg provides us with a complete service with a high degree of commitment from its professionals. Having this team brings security and greater comfort to the Company’s decision-making.