Akerman LLP > Miami, United States > Firm Profile
Akerman LLP Offices
THREE BRICKELL CITY CENTRE
98 SOUTHEAST SEVENTH STREET, SUITE 1100
MIAMI, FL 33131
Akerman LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsAkerman LLP’s corporate and M&A practice is principally located in Miami though is frequently active on matters of national and international significance. The workload chiefly consists of deals within the $50m-$500m range and encompasses everything from M&A, buyouts and spin-offs through to joint ventures, SPACs and distressed company transactions. Fort Lauderdale-based David Birke was appointed as co-chair of the practice in November 2021 and leads it alongside Jonathan Awner who has forged a prominent reputation for deals relating to major car dealerships. Former practice co-lead Carl Roston remains an active member of the group, providing considerable expertise in the energy, aviation and aerospace fields. The team routinely supports clients on their affairs in throughout the Americas and the Caribbean and is bolstered by dedicated investment management, franchise and licensing and corporate finance departments. Up-and-coming partner Kenneth Wiggins is a specialist in both transactional and general corporate affairs, operating across the retail, plumbing, industrial, IT and transportation sectors.
Jonathan Awner; Carl Roston
Other key lawyers:
Kenneth Wiggins; David Birke; Paul Quinn; Martin Burkett
‘This is a team with lots of great people and depth across various areas of expertise.’
‘Always responsive and reasonable in their approach to complicated matters.’
The Beekman Group
MBF Healthcare Partners
AE Industrial Partners, LP
Ferguson Enterprises, LLC
JM Family Enterprises, Inc.
Warren Equity Partners
Supply Chain Equity Partners
Resolute Forest Products Inc
Branford Castle Partners
Grant Avenue Capital
MPE Healthcare Partners
- Represented long-time client Trivest in multiple transactions throughout the year.
- Represented Ferguson Enterprises in multiple transactions throughout the year.
- Represented The Beekman Group in multiple transactions throughout the year.
Other key lawyers:
‘James McNeil and his team are top notch and provide an excellent service.’
Illuminarium Chicago LLC
3425 Collins LLC
ESJ Capital Partners
LINK Real Estate
Lake Nona Land Company
Madison Realty Capital
Bajraktari Realty Management Corporation
- Represented ESJ JI Leasehold, the owner and operator of the Jungle Island theme park, in a Special Area Plan (SAP) approval for the site on Watson Island in Biscayne Bay.
- Advised a charity on seeking approvals from the City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development and Chicago Zoning Board of Appeals for construction of a new headquarters in Chicago.
- Represented a realty management corporation in securing land use approvals from the New York City Planning Commission and City Council to rezone an existing residential district to a higher density commercial district.
Maria Casablanca; Denise Gavica Perez
‘Excellent accessibility to our attorney. Very responsive. Goes above and beyond to help us and our clients.’
‘Our attorney really cares about the nurses that we recruit. She takes extra time to speak with them individually if necessary. She is always available when needed. We love working with Denise Gavica Perez and her team.’
Sofidel America Corp
- Represented various hospitals and healthcare entities nationwide in filling vacant medical professional positions, including transferring hundreds of registered nurses to the U.S. in an effort to help hospitals combat the spread of COVID-19.
- Represented Sofidal America Corp. in filing several requests for consideration by the U.S. consulates/embassies in Italy to consider and grant national interest exceptions for the issuance of L-1A visas to several high level executives and managers of Sofidel America.
- Represented a Czech national in obtaining an investor visa.
Jeffrey Gilmore; Stacy Bercun Bohm
Other key lawyers:
Fort Capital Management
Miami Design District Associates (Dacra Development)
Robert Finvarb Companies
Architect of the Capitol
Millcreek Residential Trust
Ceco Concrete Construction
HGA Architects & Engineers
- Represented MSC Cruises as primary construction counsel for the design and construction of its state-of-the-art mega cruise terminal located at Port of Miami.
- Acting for MSD Partners in the renovation and improvement to the historic Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club, a multi-million expansion and renovation of the 220-room Florida resort.
- Representing HGA Architects & Engineers in a dispute with a contractor alleging differing site conditions associated with deep foundations, related delays and other corrective work items related to a structure adjacent to the second phase of the Silver Line, which will extend Metro rail service to Dulles International Airport and into eastern Loudoun County.
Tax > US taxes: contentious Tier 3Akerman LLP represents major players in the financial, automotive, and technology industries on SALT and federal tax disputes. The team also represents clients before the IRS regarding international tax compliance, as well as administrative appeals, trials, mediation, and appellate litigation. Based in Jacksonville, practice chair Peter Larsen specializes in high stakes tax disputes, especially regarding emerging technologies and telecoms. In Chicago, deputy chair David Blum often represents US and multinationals before the IRS and state and local tax agencies, while in Jacksonville chair of the state and local tax practice Michael Bowen is a specialist in SALT controversy and litigation. 2021 saw the practice growing with executive compensation specialist Gabriel Marinaro joining from Katten in May; in November, SALT controversy specialist Lorie Fale and international tax specialist John Buckun joined from PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and accountant firm Miller, Cooper & Co, respectively. Additionally, special counsel Liz Hughes joined from Greenspoon Marder LLP in November as well.
Peter Larsen; David Blum
‘Very knowledgeable in automotive leasing law and practice. Prompt and detailed responses to legal questions. Written such a way so non legal individuals can understand the response. Provides great assistance with audit issues. Very detailed.’
‘Peter Larson is very knowledgeable and always available.’
Deutsche Post DHL Group
Brookdale Senior Living
Macy’s Retail Holdings, Inc.
Ally Financial (formerly General Motors Acceptance Corporation)
DriveTime Automotive Group
Toyota Motor Corporation
- Represented Global Mail, Inc, a subsidiary of Deutsche Post DHL Group, in litigation brought by the Illinois Attorney General.
- Represented Carvana before the California Department of Motor Vehicles and the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration in a case relating to the impact of a motor vehicle sales tax law change on Carvana’s compliance processes.
- Represented Hertz in multiple state and local tax audits and tax claims in its bankruptcy case.
Real estate Tier 4Akerman LLP‘s real estate practice is recommended for urban redevelopment, financing, large land deals, distressed real estate and loan origination. Hospitality, retail and condominiums are its key areas of instruction. Eric Rapkin chairs the practice from Fort Lauderdale. New York’s Steven Polivy acts for developers, investors and Fortune 500 companies in securing crucial government incentives and tax benefits for major urban redevelopments. Richard Bezold in Miami and Orlando-based James McNeil, an expert in residential developments, are its other key senior partners.
Eric Rapkin; Steven Polivy
Other key lawyers:
Richard Bezold; James McNeil
‘Good client rapport; deep team of talented attorneys’
‘Richard Bezold has orchestrated the firms talent in the most productive and cost effective manner to produce great results.’
‘They go above and beyond. They are very thorough and available whenever needed.’
BMO Harris Bank
Bank of America
Lock Up Self Storage
One Real Estate Investment
- Represented financiers in closing a joint $94m financing, as part of a multimillion-dollar renovation to reopen the iconic Breakers Hotel & Spa in Long Beach, California.
- Represented a U.S Bank in connection with $300m in loan originations for their entity loan program for private bank customers.
- Advised the project sponsor in the development of one of the largest commercial leases in Downtown Miami, spanning 10 floors and 120,000 square feet.
Akerman LLP > Firm Profile
Akerman LLP is a top 100 US law firm recognized by Financial Times as one of the most forward thinking firms in the industry. Its more than 700 lawyers and business professionals collaborate with the world’s most successful enterprises and entrepreneurs to navigate change, seize opportunities, and overcome barriers to innovation and growth. Akerman is known for its results in middle market M&A and complex disputes, and for helping clients achieve their most important business objectives in the financial services, real estate, and other dynamic sectors across the United States and Latin America.
Types of work undertaken
Corporate, M&A, and capital markets: Advises public and private companies, including private equity funds, on M&A, capital markets transactions, financings, and other transactional matters, with a strong focus on the middle market.
Real estate: Recognized for substantial experience in complex transactions, development and construction projects, economic development incentives, environmental matters, public-private initiatives, and litigation.
Litigation: Trial lawyers in offices throughout the United States recognized for experience in civil, criminal, and general commercial litigation, appellate, and international arbitration matters.
Consumer financial services: Represents banks and non-bank consumer debt originators and servicers in the areas of litigation, compliance, regulatory enforcement, and repurchase and recovery litigation, with an emphasis on investigating and prosecuting origination fraud.
Bankruptcy and reorganization: Serves as counsel or receiver in large bankruptcy filings. Also represents financial institutions and mortgage holders in workouts, and other secured creditors in Chapter 11 reorganizations.
Intellectual property: Represents clients worldwide in all areas of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and the internet.
Healthcare: Recognized for experience in regulatory, risk management, and corporate matters. Represents hospitals and health systems, health insurers and managed care organizations, physician practice groups, pharmacy-related organizations, and other industry stakeholders.
Labor and employment: Represents employers in every major sector with all aspects of labor relations and employment law compliance and litigation, workplace safety, immigration, and non-compete and trade secret issues.
Tax: Advises domestic and foreign corporations, individuals, and nonprofit institutions on international, federal, state, and local tax issues, including tax planning, audit defense, tax litigation, controversy, and legislation.
Government affairs and public policy: Bi-partisan team of lawyers and public policy advisers experienced in appropriations, transportation, hospitality, healthcare, education, Native American affairs, and local government matters.
International: Guides multinational corporations seeking to establish and expand their US presence, as well as US market leaders and disruptors entering new markets outside the US.
|Chairman and CEO||Scott Meyers|
United States: Franchise & Licensing
Published: October 2022
Authors: Dale A. Cohen
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Franchise & Licensing laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
California's FAST Recovery Act Impact on Fast Food Restaurant Franchisors
Published: October 2022
Authors: Dale A. Cohen
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Latin America: International firms > City focus - Miami