Fietta LLP > London, England > Firm Profile
Fietta LLP Offices
1 FITZROY SQUARE
Fietta LLP > The Legal 500 Rankings
With an enviable track record of winning treaty cases, boutique law firm Fietta LLP fields 'truly standout individuals', who are dedicated to PIL and international arbitration work. The team consistently achieves substantial damages awards, with a particular niche in investment disputes that raise novel PIL issues. Founding partner Stephen Fietta QC frequently advises sovereign states on highly sensitive PIL matters, including some of the world’s highest profile territorial disputes. Also recommended is international investment treaty specialist Jiries Saadeh, who is 'truly an exceptional talent in PIL'. Counsel Ashique Rahman represents states and foreign investors in their PIL disputes. Reflective of the growth of the practice, in 2020, the 'highly competent' Laura Rees-Evans and Oonagh Sands made counsels.
Stephen Fietta QC; Jiries Saadeh
‘This is a boutique law firm specialising in international law – and it is a very good one.‘
‘Fietta has a strong arbitration and PIL group, with some truly standout individuals – a great hand-picked and close-knit team.’
‘The firm may be small in size, but it compensates by being nimble in addressing the needs of clients. They have amassed a cohesive group of talented lawyers who are adept at collaborating with outside consultants to address technical questions that exceed their internal competencies.‘
‘I have had an excellent experience with this firm and its team. They are extremely committed and understand clients’ needs and how to adjust to hectic timeframes – they deliver quality input and advice.‘
‘Stephen Fietta is highly competent and covers a broad spectrum of advice. An excellent lawyer and first-rate advocate, Stephen has an unusual range of genuine expertise – not just investment treaty work but also maritime delimitation matters. I have also worked with the associates and thought they were excellent.‘
‘Stephen Fietta is very knowledgeable, and has strategic thinking and a very comprehensive understanding of the law. His invaluable input is always accompanied by pleasantness and he is always available.‘
‘Jiries Saadeh is among the very best of his generation – he is truly an exceptional talent in PIL.‘
‘Laura Rees-Evans is a highly competent and valued counsel.‘
Theodoros Adamakopoulos and others
Mohamed Abdel Raouf Bahgat
Big Sky Energy Corporation
- Advising the Government of Malaysia on various public international law questions relating to sovereignty, maritime delimitation, offshore petroleum development and international environmental law.
- Represented PL Holdings in an arbitration pursuant to the Belgium-Luxembourg Economic Union – Poland BIT against the Republic of Poland.
- Represented the Republic of Croatia, as respondent state, in an ad hoc arbitration brought by a Canadian investor under a bilateral investment treaty, which involved state succession issues in the former Yugoslavia.
Fietta LLP is best known as a boutique law firm dedicated to international arbitration and public international law, and for its successful track record in treaty cases. As 'an outstanding and very impressive advocate', Stephen Fietta QC's experience includes acting as counsel in over 40 investment treaty arbitrations under all major institutional rules, while Jiries Saadeh represents state and investor clients in international investment treaty cases, and counsel Ashique Rahman is 'very intelligent'. In November 2020, Laura Rees-Evans and Oonagh Sands were promoted to counsel.
Stephen Fietta QC; Jiries Saadeh
‘A law firm that is very reliable, competent and responsible.‘
‘The lawyers at Fietta are collaborative, constantly ensuring that the entire team and the client are well-informed at each stage, which makes the teamwork smooth and productive.‘
‘The firm builds tailor-made solutions with the client, and does not have an ego that stops them from listening and changing their initial direction when convinced by the argument.‘
‘Stephen Fietta QC is very solid – an outstanding and very impressive advocate. I have rarely met and worked with such a brilliant legal mind.‘
‘Stephen Fietta QC has the ability to select good, dedicated and competent people who work very well as a team.‘
‘Jiries Saadeh has vast experience and knowledge of public international law. He does an impressive job by breaking down complex details in order to achieve rewarding outcomes.‘
‘Jiries Saadeh is among the very best of his generation – analytical and calm, and able to handle any matter brilliantly.‘
‘At counsel level, Ashique Rahman is very intelligent, and a dedicated, good listener and hard worker; Laura Rees-Evans is very competent; and Oonagh Sands is very specialised and a hard worker.‘
Big Sky Energy Corporation
- Representing an individual investor in a UNCITRAL arbitration against a Gulf State, under the Agreement on Promotion, Protection and Guarantee of Investments (among member states of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference).
- Counsel to over 900 Greek and Luxembourger investors in a pending ICSID arbitration, brought under two bilateral investment treaties against Cyprus in relation to measures taken by Cyprus following its 2013 financial crisis.
- Representing Big Sky Energy Corporation, a US oil company, in a pending ICSID arbitration, which is brought under a bilateral investment treaty against the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Fietta LLP > Firm Profile
Fietta LLP is a law firm dedicated to public international law (PIL) and international arbitration. The Fietta practice represents a unique team of specialists with broad-based experience advising States, international organisations, multinational corporations and private clients across a range of international law matters. Fietta lawyers have acted as counsel on some of the largest and most important PIL disputes of the past two decades. They have won a number of the most substantial or significant victories seen in investment arbitration cases globally over recent years. The firm also has a busy advisory practice, advising State (and other) clients on some of the most sensitive and important PIL issues of the day. Examples of recent matters on which the practice has worked are set out below.
International arbitration: investor-State arbitration
- Representing PL Holdings S.à r.l. in its SCC arbitration against the Republic of Poland brought pursuant to an intra-EU BIT, resulting in an award of damages of over €150m, and in subsequent proceedings in the seat of arbitration and at the CJEU
- Representing Mr Bahgat, a Finnish national, in his UNCITRAL arbitration brought against Egypt under two successive bilateral investment treaties in relation to an iron ore and steel producing concession, resulting in an award of damages of over $115m
- Advising Mr Bahgat in defending an application brought by Egypt in the Netherlands (the seat of the arbitration) to set-aside his arbitral award
- Advising Mr Bahgat in connection with enforcement proceedings relating to his arbitral award against Egypt, working with local counsel in multiple jurisdictions around the world
- Representing Big Sky Energy Corporation, a US oil company, in a pending ICSID arbitration brought under a bilateral investment treaty against the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Representing a Jordanian media conglomerate on a claim brought against the State of Qatar under the Jordan-Qatar BIT
- Representing an individual investor in an UNCITRAL arbitration against a Gulf State under the investment treaty of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (now the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation), one of the very few such arbitrations brought under that treaty
- Representing a Respondent State in an ad hoc arbitration brought by a Canadian investor under a bilateral investment treaty involving issues of state succession with respect to real estate interests
- Representing three Cypriot companies in an SCC arbitration brought under the Energy Charter Treaty against Ukraine, involving allegations of, inter alia, bribery and corruption.
- Representing more than 900 investors in a pending ICSID arbitration brought under two bilateral investment treaties against Cyprus
- Representing City-State N.V. (Netherlands) and its subsidiaries in an ICSID arbitration brought under a bilateral investment treaty against Ukraine
Public international law (advisory and contentious):
- Advising an Asian State on issues of maritime delimitation, navigation, and international environmental law in connection with a dispute related to a major international port and land reclamation activities
- Advising an Asian State with respect to an UNCLOS arbitral award and related island sovereignty and law of the sea issues
- Advising an Asian State on international jurisprudence and State practice with respect to the classification of islands, rocks and low-tide elevations under UNCLOS
- Advising an Asian State with respect to the drawing of straight baselines around groups of offshore features
- Advising an NGO on an application for precautionary measures brought before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- Advising the national oil company of an Asian State in connection with a constitutional dispute about exploitation of territorial sea and continental shelf resources
- Devising a practical training course in maritime features in maritime boundary delimitation for government lawyers of a State
- Devising a practical training course on UNCLOS, maritime delimitation and international dispute resolution for government (and other) lawyers and diplomats of a State
- Advising an energy investor on the possible outcomes, and implications for its investment, of an ITLOS maritime boundary delimitation proceeding
- Advising an investor in a UK public utility on the scope to restructure its investment so as to take advantage of bilateral investment treaty protection
- Advising a regional international organisation in connection with its investment treaty framework and investment code
- Advising a European private equity fund in connection with the structuring of its international investments
- Advising on multi-jurisdictional litigation proceedings arising out of a sovereign State’s failure to make contractually-required principal and interest payments on two debt securities issued by it
- Advising a third-party funder in connection with a potential treaty arbitration against a Middle Eastern State
|Miglena Angelova||Miglena Angelova is a French-qualified lawyer and Associate at Fietta LLP. Miglena…||View Profile|
|Tommaso Buzzelli||Tommaso Buzzelli is an Italian-qualified lawyer and Associate at Fietta LLP. He…||View Profile|
|Lea Christopher||Lea Christopher is an Australian-qualified lawyer and Associate at Fietta LLP. Lea…||View Profile|
|Mr Stephen Fietta||Stephen Fietta QC is the firm’s founder and principal. He is ranked…||View Profile|
|Ashique Rahman||Ashique is an Australian lawyer and Partner at Fietta LLP. Ashique represents…||View Profile|
|Laura Rees-Evans||Laura is an English-qualified solicitor and Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings). Laura’s…||View Profile|
|Jiries Saadeh||Jiries Saadeh is an English-qualified lawyer and Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts Civil Proceedings).…||View Profile|
|Oonagh Sands||Oonagh Sands is a dually qualified English and US lawyer. She is…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of UK partners : 3 Number of other UK fee-earners : 7
LanguagesFrench Italian Spanish Bulgarian Russian
Fietta LLP operates on the principles of equality and diversity, ensuring that all members of staff are treated fairly and with dignity and respect. It seeks to recruit and retain the best candidates, regardless of background, and considers that no member of staff, client, supplier or other third party should be unlawfully discriminated against, victimised or harassed because of their actual or perceived sex, marriage and civil partnership, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race (including colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sexual orientation, age or disability, or that of someone associated with them.
Unlawful discrimination, victimisation and harassment are all contrary to Fietta LLP’s values.