Firm Profile > Pradhan & Associates > Lalitpur, Nepal
Pradhan & Associates Offices
Pradhan & Associates > The Legal 500 Rankings
Leading firms Tier 1
Pradhan & Associates is a full-service commercial law firm primarily engaged in advising international clients on commercial transaction work, primarily in cross-border transactions, as well as matters related to commercial litigation and arbitration. Furthermore, the team frequently acts as local counsel for international law firms and its clients include international companies in the aviation, technology, and telecommunications sectors. Founder and managing partner Devendra P.N. Pradhan assists foreign companies on all commercial law-related matters, including cross-border M&A, banking and finance, and commercial litigation and arbitration. Additionally, associate partner Shirshak Ghimire is highly experienced in dealing with a range of cross-border deals.
Pradhan & Associates > Firm Profile
Pradhan & Associates is a top-tier full service commercial law firm in Nepal. Since its establishment, the firm stands out from the crowd and is widely recognized as Nepal’s premier commercial law firm.
The firm has set the standard for excellence in legal services in Nepal and is recognized as a leader in cross-border transactions. We are a law firm predominantly engaged in international practice. We offer professional services primarily to foreign companies and international institutions. The firm is well known for its expertise in commercial transaction work as well as in complex commercial litigation and arbitration. The firm has been involved in some of the most high-profile and ground breaking transactions in Nepal.
The firm takes pride in its capability in advising the world’s leading companies. The firm has been advising foreign governments, supranational bodies, bilateral and multilateral agencies, Fortune 500 companies, etc. We have strong ties and working relationship with many foreign law firms and frequently acts as a local counsel in Nepal for major international law firms.
The firm has earned several international awards and honors in the area of commercial law, such as: Most Trusted Law Firm of the Year in Nepal, Law Firm of the Year in Nepal, Commercial Law Firm of the Year in Nepal, One of the Top 250 Law Firms in the World, etc. for several years in a row and numerous practice area awards. Major international legal directories have ranked the firm as the top ranked law firm in Nepal and members of the firm amongst the leading lawyers in Nepal as well as amongst the world’s pre-eminent lawyers in various areas of practice.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
Mergers & Acquisitions: We are at the forefront in mergers and acquisitions practice. In this area, our service includes cross-border M&A, distressed M&A, leveraged buyouts, joint-venture investment, strategic alliance, corporate governance, tax advice on M&A transaction, due diligence of targets etc. We have handled some of the most high-profile and the largest cross-border acquisition deals in Nepal. We primarily advise foreign public and private acquirers in high-profile and high value cross-border transactions in a number of sectors including hydroelectricity, telecommunications, technology, construction, food and beverage, etc.
Project and Infrastructure Development: We advise lenders, multilateral and bilateral agencies, underwriters, sponsors, project developers, suppliers, contractors and other project participants on legal matters related to financing, project structuring, government regulation, construction and other project development issues relating to project finance and infrastructure development. We have seasoned experience in advising various project participants in hydroelectricity, other types of infrastructure projects, such as roads, construction and expansion of airports, transmission lines, etc.
Banking and Finance: We periodically advise world’s major international banks, bilateral agencies and supranational bodies in sophisticated cross-border banking and finance transactions. Our service in the area includes asset-based finance, debtor-in-possession finance, acquisition finance, project finance, syndicated lending, guarantees and letters of credit, etc.
Aviation: We handle contentious as well as non-contentious work in aviation sector. In non-contentious sector, we advise in aircraft sale-purchase, aircraft financing, aircraft and engine leasing, aviation insurance and re-insurance issues, liens and security documentation, etc. We have handled more than 3 dozen leasing and purchase-sale transactions relating to various types of aircraft, including, Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, ATR, de Havilland, Cessna, Beechcraft, Dornier, etc. Similarly, we have advised aircraft owners, lessors, major international banks and financiers in more than 2 dozen registration of aircraft, creation of liens, mortgage and security interest over aircraft, de-registration of aircraft, repossession of aircraft and other issues. In contentious sector, we handle matters relating to aircraft leasing disputes, repossession of aircraft, air carriers’ liability, management of accident liability claims, accident investigation, accident litigation, etc. We have assisted various national and international airlines and its insurers/re-insurers in the management of more than 2 dozen fatal aviation accidents.
Corporate and Commercial: We advise domestic and foreign public and private companies in full range of corporate and commercial matters which include corporate transactions, corporate finance, corporate governance and commercial contract related matters. We routinely provide local law advice to foreign companies and assist them in establishing either wholly-owned subsidiaries or joint-venture entities. We extensively advise our clients on various types of commercial contracts. We have been extensively advising world’s top auto, beverage, tobacco, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, cosmetic and medical device, FMCG manufacturers, technology companies, hospitality franchisors in commercial, regulatory, product safety, international trade and other related issues.
Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT): We advise world’s leading as well as emerging technology, media and telecommunications companies in sophisticated TMT transactions. In the TMT sector, we advise and assist technology, telecommunications and media companies on every aspect of licensing and regulatory works as well as establishment issues.
Litigation and Arbitration: We handle complex and high value litigation and arbitration in all areas of commercial and business laws. This field of practice includes all types of litigation before courts of law and tribunals, domestic and foreign arbitration tribunals and other forms of dispute resolution.
Food, Drug and Medical Device: We advise major food and beverage, tobacco, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, cosmetic and medical device, FMCG manufacturers in the highly sensitive areas such as product approval, food safety, labeling, packaging, false advertising and other commercial issues. In this area, our service includes product registration, regulatory compliance, consumer protection issues, health and safety issues, license agreements, etc.
Intellectual Property: We provide full range of services in the area of intellectual property law. We have seasoned experience in advising and representing foreign clients in protecting and enforcing their trademarks, patents, designs and copyrights. We represent major Fortune 500 companies in managing their large trademark portfolios and protect their well-known marks. Our lawyers also have litigation experience in all areas of intellectual property law including patents, trademarks, copyright infringement, false advertising and dispute relating to licensing and franchise agreements.
Tax: We provide expert tax advice to domestic and foreign companies in all areas of domestic and cross-border corporate and commercial tax issues. We provide tax advice on a wide range of international transactions from structuring acquisitions and private equity transactions to international employment taxes. In this area, our service includes corporate tax, tax policy matters, tax on inward investment, cross-border employment tax issue, double taxation agreements, tax controversies and tax litigation, etc.
|Aviation||Devendra P.N. Pradhanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 555 1900|
|Aviation||Shirshak Ghimireemail@example.com||+977 1 552 0708|
|Aviation||Aadittya J. Kansakarfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0709|
|Banking & Finance||Devendra P.N. Pradhanemail@example.com||+977 1 555 1900|
|Banking & Finance||Aadittya J. Kansakarfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0709|
|Corporate & Commercial||Devendra P.N. Pradhanemail@example.com||+977 1 555 1900|
|Corporate & Commercial||Shirshak Ghimirefirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0708|
|Corporate & Commercial||Aadittya J. Kansakaremail@example.com||+977 1 552 0709|
|Food, Drugs and Medical Device||Shirshak Ghimirefirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0708|
|Food, Drugs and Medical Device||Aadittya J. Kansakaremail@example.com||+977 1 552 0709|
|Intellectual Property||Aadittya J. Kansakarfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0709|
|Litigation and Arbitration||Devendra P.N. Pradhanemail@example.com||+977 1 555 1900|
|Litigation and Arbitration||Shirshak Ghimirefirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0708|
|Litigation and Arbitration||Tejendra Giriemail@example.com||+977 1 555 1900|
|Mergers & Acquisitions||Devendra P.N. Pradhanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 555 1900|
|Mergers & Acquisitions||Shirshak Ghimireemail@example.com||+977 1 552 0708|
|Mergers & Acquisitions||Aadittya J. Kansakarfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0709|
|Project and Infrastructure Development||Devendra P.N. Pradhanemail@example.com||+977 1 555 1900|
|Project and Infrastructure Development||Shirshak Ghimirefirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 552 0708|
|Tax||Shirshak Ghimireemail@example.com||+977 1 552 0708|
|Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)||Devendra P.N. Pradhanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+977 1 555 1900|
|Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)||Aadittya J. Kansakaremail@example.com||+977 1 552 0709|
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Axiata Group Berhad on Nepali law in the biggest acquisition in Nepal (USD1.365 billion) 80% stake in a mobile company.
- Advised The Coca-Cola Company on Nepali law in acquisition of majority equity of two publicly listed companies.
- Advised a Chinese company in acquisition of 85% equity in a hydroelectric company (164 MW).
- Advised a Chinese company in acquisition of 90% equity of a hydroelectric company (120 MW).
- Advising a Canadian company in joint-venture for the largest solar project.
- Advised Tibet Airlines in joint-venture and debt transaction (USD22.80 million) to set up an international airline.
- Advised several Chinese and Korean companies in potential acquisition of various hydroelectricity projects (260 MW, 163 MW, 130 MW and 42 MW).
- Advised Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co. Ltd. in electro and hydro-mechanical and transmission line (30 MW).
- Advised several Chinese companies in development of several hydroelectric projects (164 MW, 120 MW and 87 MW).
- Advised a Chines company in supply of 220 kV transmission line and installation of various substations.
- Advised CONSTRUCTORA SAN JOSÉ, S.A. of Spain in improvement of Tribhuvan International Airport.
- Advised Northwest Civil Aviation Airport Construction Group in construction of Gautam Buddha Airport.
Banking and Finance
- Advised European Investment Bank in financing of USD216.9 million for construction of Tanahu Hydropower Project (140 MW).
- Advised China Exim Bank in two separate financing transacations, one USD116 million for a hydroelectric project and another to a cement manufacturer.
- Advised China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation (Sinosure) in insuring Chinese investment in a hydroelectric project.
- Advising BNP Paribas, Royal Bank of Canada, Standard Chartered Bank, HSH Nordbank, DBS Bank, BSI Bank, Investec Bank, National Bank of Oman, OCBC Bank, Moody’s, MasterCard, Earthport, UnionPay, Xpress Money, etc. in licensing and cross-border banking/finance transactions.
- Advised major aircraft and engine manufacturers, owners, lessors, international banks and financiers in more than 3 dozen leasing, purchase-sale, registration of aircraft, lease, creation of security interest over aircraft, de-registration of various types of aircraft.
- Advised domestic/international airlines and their insurers/re-insurers in the management of liability claims of about 2 dozen fatal aviation accidents.
- Advised international airlines, Cathay Pacific Dragon Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Air Asia, Air Arabia, Oman Air, IndiGo Air, Vistara, Tibet Airlines in establishment, licensing and regulatory issues.
- Advising Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, Hewlett Packard, Dell, Virgin, Avaya, Yahoo!, Facebook, Expedia, LinkeIn, Baidu, Western Digital, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW, Honda, Suzuki, Nissan, Mitsubishi, BYD, etc. in regulatory, competition, product safety, international trade, etc.
- Advising InterContinental Hotels, Radisson, Hyatt, Marriott, La Quinta, Hard Rock Café, etc. in franchising, regulatory, etc.
Litigation and Arbitration
- Defended a mobile operator as a lead counsel in the highest value tax controversy (USD660 million) at the Supreme Court.
- Defending US-Bangla Airlines and its insurers/re-insurers at Courts in liability claims arising out of the fatal aviation accident in Kathmandu killing 51 people on board.
- Represented a Korean company at the Supreme Court in the first landmark case for enforcement of a foreign arbitral award under New York Convention.
Legal Developments23rd February 2021 The article summarizes Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer Act 2019 (2075) that has brought into effect the Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer Rules 2021 (2077) (“FITTR”).
22nd February 2021 This article provides a general overview of the Safeguard, Anti-Dumping and Countervailing Act 2076 (2019) (“SACA”).
19th February 2021 This article summarizes a Supreme Court ruling in the first case relating to recognition and enforcement of an arbitral award under the New York Convention.