Wallace LLP > London, England > Firm Profile
Wallace LLP Offices
ONE PORTLAND PLACE
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Client Testimonials
- Notable Cases
Wallace LLP > The Legal 500 Rankings
Wallace LLP has been increasingly active in the green economy, acting for renewable energy providers and environmental policy consultancies. The team also regularly handles a range of deals for clients in the digital media, real estate investment and financial services sectors. Practice head John Woodhouse is highly experienced in acting for fast-growth companies in the technology, telecoms, sports and consulting industries. Rex Newman is noted for his work on strategic transactions, with David Judah's recent work spanning financial consultancy, engineering and apparel issues. Charlotte Wheeldon focuses on corporate finance and property sector transactions, while Laura Gillard works on deals for owner-managed business clients.
‘Excellent boutique firm that delivers solid expertise and exceptional client service.’
‘The team’s obvious strength was its deep M&A expertise and knowledge. Their ability to quickly get up to speed on the sector our consultancy business was also noteworthy.’
‘Responsive. Commercial. Knowledgeable. Focus is on getting a deal done, not scoring points. Works well with other firms and builds trust.’
‘A partner-led approach with a team of experts that are both very pragmatic and commercially minded.’
‘The team provides “big firm” support and timeliness but at reasonable and competitive prices. The team also provides the right amount of practical guidance that is calibrated to smaller deals and all the accompanying quirks that come with them.’
‘Rex Newman is an outstanding lawyer. Explains the issues thoroughly, and always has an innovative solution.’
‘John Woodhouse’s client-centric approach and commitment is inspirational. His many years of experience brings a well-balanced approach comprising technical expertise and pragmatism. He provides calm, commercially minded and sound advice. He focuses on what’s truly important to protect his client’s interests.’
‘Charlotte Wheeldon provides exceptional M&A counsel and general corporate expertise that will get you through any deal. She is great to work with, always available, and provides quick turnaround on deliverables.’
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Watford Football Club
Simpson Spence Young
Roasting Plant UK
- Acted on the purchase of the entire issued share capital of Amsprop Tower Limited, the owner of Sceptre Court.
- Successfully advised Efficio Management on its buy-out of its minority private equity investor, Livingbridge.
- Advised the founding shareholders of creative agency Social Life, on the sale of the company to Jellyfish.
Other key lawyers:
‘A smaller boutique firm, but able to handle complex litigation and arbitration.‘
‘Not afraid of a fight against the giants of the industry, and works tirelessly for clients.‘
‘A firm that punches above its weight with a classy array of commercial litigators.‘
‘The team at Wallace are very focused on understanding the issues and outcome that are desired.‘
‘They work with you to bring forward the best legal options, and the team is excellent at bringing in a variety of professionals to deal with legal challenges.‘
‘Oli Goldman is bright as a button, and able to handle difficult clients with sensitivity and discretion – practical approach to complex issues and sound judgement.‘
‘Senior associate Elizabeth Asher is extremely cool under very high pressure, and produces consistently high-quality products- highly efficient and competent.‘
‘Senior associate Josephine Mathew at Wallace is hard-working and efficient, and very good at managing clients – excellent attention to detail.‘
Joseph (Yossie) Tchelet
Victory 1268 Real Estate Sole Co
Neil McGlynn (and subsequently the executors of Neil McGlynn’s estate)
- Representing three HNWI defendants (domiciled in South Africa and Israel) in substantial Commercial Court proceedings, including in response to a worldwide freezing order obtained by the claimants over each client’s assets.
- Representing Albion Energy in stakeholder proceedings concerning $13.5m held by a law firm in its client account, such monies subject to an undertaking entered into as part of an escrow agreement with a third party.
- Acting for Stephen Garbett and Anis El-Mariesh in their substantial defence of a breach of warranty claim, brought by a South Africa-based global data firm.
Wallace LLP's two areas of focus are commercial - and to a lesser extent residential - landlord and tenant disputes, which are routinely led by Meera Patel, and leasehold enfranchisement work, led by Samantha Bone. Instructions in the former area routinely stem from landlords and involve the recovery of monies, including possession orders following non-payment, alongside tenant CVAs and lease forfeiture proceedings, while the latter area spans right to manage and right of first refusal matters.
Meera Patel; Samantha Bone
‘Personal attention from the partner directly, who has exceptional leasehold and litigation expertise.‘
‘The key individuals within the firm are available to discuss complex scenarios and situations with vigour and enthusiasm.‘
‘They adapt to a variety of subject matters and their support mechanisms are second to none.‘
‘The department I deal with at Wallace has incredible depth of knowledge.‘
‘They are very reliable and I never hesitate to recommend them to clients.‘
‘Samantha Bone understands the valuation aspects of our particular sector. She is one of the best at explaining legal intricacies to clients and valuers. She is very efficient and manages her team very well.‘
‘Meera Patel is a very able lawyer.‘
‘A very commercially minded team.‘
Freshwater Group of Companies
Soho Estates Limited
Henry Schein UK Holdings Limited
Giraffe Concepts Limited
Dolphin Square Limited
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Harry Ramsden’s Limited
- Obtained a decision in favour of the client Deritend Investments (Birkdale) Ltd on appeal at the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber) concerning the premium to be paid for a new lease under the 1993 Act.
- Achieved a beneficial settlement for Amestown Ltd following a long-standing dispute with its instructed managing agents regarding the recovery of outstanding ground rent, which they had failed to collect and account for, relating to high-value properties at Hyde Park Mansions, London.
- Assisted 35 Kings Avenue Ltd with obtaining the freehold title to 35 Kings Avenue at a heavily discounted price on the basis that the counter-notice served by the landlord in response to the collective enfranchisement claim was invalid and of no effect.
The banking and financial services litigation team at conflict-free dispute firm Wallace LLP is well known for bringing claims against banks and financial institutions, including large group claims. Practice head Alexander Weinberg has a breadth of experience acting for and against financial institutions; Oli Goldman is particularly strong for disputes involving bank fraud and litigation relating to structured finance and interest rate hedging products.
Other key lawyers:
Elizabeth Asher; Oli Goldman; Josephine Mathew
‘Alexander Weinberg – Alex knows the business well and is a go to for help. He’s smart, commercial and always able to help.‘
‘Elizabeth Asher is extremely committed to our case and maintains this despite the extensive challenges of dealing with a Swiss bank. She is also honest about the capabilities of the Swiss lawyers that we have to use to pursue the case. She has also done her upmost to minimise the cost of pursuing the case.‘
‘The team at Wallace is very responsive and you would not have to send out chasers and /or calls to get your work done or get in touch with a partner. Given that every client of theirs would probably have urgent queries, we never felt like our matter was not a priority.’
‘Alex Weinberg and Josephine Mathew were an absolute pleasure to work with. We were much at ease knowing that our matter was being handled by the best in the industry without having to deal with egos that some of the lawyers of their calibre often carry.‘
‘They are responsive and highly professional. They react quickly and answer all the demands completely and in a timely manner. They are reliable and know what they do. The team is always available.‘
‘A medium-sized firm that punches well above its weight. Despite having a strong property transactional client base, the firm’s dispute resolution department is growing and handles all manner of disputes across a wide range of sectors.’
‘Practical, commercial advice from lawyers who are well-connected to the best barristers.’
‘Alexander Weinberg brings together an appreciation of the drivers of claim value and a clear understanding of the law.‘
Investors in the LF Woodford Equity Income Fund
Mothercare UK Limited
Maplin Electronics Limited
- Representing at least 150,000 investors in the LF Woodford Equity Income Fund in £1bn group claims against Hargreaves Lansdown and Link Fund Solutions following its high-profile suspension in June 2019 and subsequent announcement that the fund will be wound down.
Other key lawyers:
‘Creative, thoughtful and commercially grounded advice. Clear ability to come up with legally sound suggestions that balance risk and commercial reality.’
‘Frank Jennings has an in-depth knowledge of both our company and our industry and we have worked successfully with him for a number of years on a wide variety of IT related service and product contracts.’
‘The key person who we deal with is Frank Jennings, who is always very responsive and approachable.’
‘Insightful, always deliver on time, transparency around billing, knowledgeable and proactive.’
‘Frank Jennings is extremely responsive in terms of managing the ongoing pipeline of work. Very efficient in his processing of output and billing, very transparent and articulate.’
Competitive Capabilities International
Turnkey Computer Technology
Ebix Europe Limited
- Advised Turnkey Computer Technology on their suite of commercial / tech agreements as they adjust their on-premise software for insolvency practitioners to a cloud / SaaS version.
- Advised Secondmind – specialists in machine learning and gaussian processes to help build better, more efficient engines or to streamline logistics – in their contractual arrangements with their clients including Mazda and Singapore Airlines.
- Assisted CCi on the drafting of their contracts with their clients during their expansion in Europe and winning of new clients for the licensing of their flagship improvement solution, TRACC.
Employment > Employers Tier 7
Wallace LLP’s practice, headed up by Daniel Isaac, primarily advises corporates from the financial services, private equity and hospitality sectors, on matters involving employment law, partnership law, and shareholders’ rights issues. In addition, it services the employment needs of the firm's commercial property clients and commonly advises clients on the employment aspects of M&A transactions.
‘They are responsive and pragmatic and able to work effectively across teams within the practice to deliver a wrap-around solution to complex issues.’
‘Daniel Isaac is accessible, prompt and more commercial and pragmatic than most other employment lawyers.’
‘Daniel Isaac is a legal legend. Over the years he’s introduced me to other associates, who are also very talented. I only trust Daniel and the Wallace team.’
‘In my experience, Daniel Isaac at Wallace brings together knowledge of the subject with the practicalities that I as a business leader require. No going around circles or unnecessarily extending the life of the inquiry to ensure a higher fee.’
The Analyst Research LLP
Equiteq Advisors Ltd
Intratone UK Ltd
AH UK Animal Health (PVT) Limited
Henry Schein UK Ltd
Saffron Brand Consultants Ltd
- Advising Soho Estates on the closure of the Boulevard Theatre in Soho and the associated redundancies.
- Advising Daniel Litvin on the employment aspects of the sale of Critical Resource to ERM.
- Advising Kim Wharton on the employment aspects of the sale of Regulis to Pharmalex.
Wallace LLP > Firm Profile
Individual in spirit, independent by choice
Wallace is a law firm for London’s finest legal talent. Quietly respected for over 90 years, we are a partner-led practice, purposefully built around a suite of complementary commercial disciplines.
Whether our clients are large corporates, entrepreneurs or investors, legal work is ultimately about people and the challenges they face. Every situation is different and demands a solution tailored to the individuals and commercial realities involved. We encourage each of our lawyers to be themselves and do what they’re best at, working cooperatively as part of a close-knit team.
No client wants jargon-filled or obscure advice. We aim to tell it as it is and provide clear no-nonsense counsel. We don’t sit on the fence.
Our seasoned professionals have decades of exposure to large and complex deals and heavyweight disputes. The notable longevity of our client relationships is testament to the continuing skill and tenacity of our teams.
Types of work undertaken
Corporate/M&A: Our corporate team are dedicated to helping our clients grow their businesses, whatever stage they’re at. We work with fast-paced growth businesses and well-established, mature companies, both listed and unlisted. We act for entrepreneurs, independent investors, funds and individuals. We work with companies making acquisitions or preparing for sale or raising public or private capital.
Employment: We act for employers, senior-executives, partnerships and partners.
We advise on contracts, day-to-day HR issues, the employment impact of mergers and acquisitions, negotiated exits, dismissals and post-employment disputes. While it is generally best to avoid litigation, we are fully familiar with the corridors of the High Court and employment tribunals. We are alive to the emotional and reputational issues that employment disputes often involve and are familiar with the special regimes that can apply to financial services employment.
IP and technology: We assist our clients with all aspects of brand protection and exploitation, provide advice and make trade mark applications both nationally and internationally.
We advise individuals, entrepreneurs and businesses on the protection of brands via licensing and franchise arrangements.
We work with clients to maximise their intellectual property assets and work with established companies, start-ups and individuals to protect, position and build value via IP strategies.
We regularly advise clients on how to develop, exploit, license and sell technology. We also advise those who are looking to buy or install technology, or who want to migrate to the cloud. We advise clients, whether they are buying or selling, on how to identify and manage risk and draft robust technology agreements to reflect this in a pragmatic and clear manner. We also help clients comply with their data protection obligations.
Litigation: Our team regularly handle complex corporate/commercial disputes in the High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, as well as cross-border matters involving hearings in the EU and the US. We represent clients before a range of bodies in connection with international commercial arbitration disputes and have extensive experience of a full range of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, including mediation.
We have been successful in many reported cases including those involving fraud and other complex matters as well as the leading authority on worldwide freezing orders.
We are one of the few genuinely conflict free firms who are willing and able to litigate against the banks and financial institutions that full-service City and US firms count as key corporate and/or finance clients.
We advise and act for hedge funds, corporates and high net worth individuals on complex, high value disputes involving banks and financial institutions.
Property: The track record of our property team is second-to-none. We have earned a reputation for being amongst the most experienced and knowledgeable on London’s uniquely complex, fast-moving property market. We provide a full range of commercial property services offering end-to-end support to a wide variety of corporate and individual clients.
Property: leasehold enfranchisement: We are one of the pre-eminent firms in the specialist and complex area of Leasehold Enfranchisement, recognised by industry commentators for our “high level of expertise, depth of applied knowledge, excellence in client communications, and innovation in enfranchisement”.
We work closely with surveyors to advise both landlords and tenants (commercial and residential) on their rights, acting for companies, individuals and groups of individuals. The team has been involved in some of the leading decisions, including advising on the largest enfranchisement claim to date.
Property litigation: Our property litigation specialists act for both landlords and tenants, handling all types of property related litigation and dispute resolution, including lease renewals, dilapidations, service charge disputes, rent reviews and residential and commercial possession claims.
Restructure and business insolvency: When businesses experience severe financial difficulties, our specialist team’s relationships with insolvency practitioners and holders of security help us find workable solutions for all affected parties.
Our emphasis is always to try to save companies in difficulty, if at all possible. Whilst we know that in these circumstances all parties are typically trying to avoid disputes, we do have specialist contentious insolvency lawyers who are used to dealing with complex insolvency litigation both in the UK and abroad. We also deal with recovery from failed businesses.
|Managing partner||Rex Newman||Rex.Newman@wallace.co.uk||020 7636 4422|
|Mr Frank||Partner & Head of CommercialAreas of Practice: Cloud Law, Technology, Commercial Contracts,…||View Profile|
|Mr John||Partner, Head of CorporateAreas of Practice: Mergers, Acquisitions and Disposals.||View Profile|
|Mr Daniel||PartnerAreas of Practice:Daniel advises individuals and organisations on workplace relationships, whether involving…||View Profile|
|Mrs Samantha Bone||PartnerAreas of Practise: Leasehold Enfranchisement, Property Litigation||View Profile|
|Mrs Jackie Boot||PartnerAreas of Practice: Commercial Property including property investment and development transactions; joint…||View Profile|
|Mrs Bibi Fakhrai||PartnerArea of Practice – Real Estate||View Profile|
|Mr Oli Goldman||Partner Areas of Practice: General commercial litigation and dispute resolution, including fraud-related…||View Profile|
|Mr David Judah||Partner, CorporateArea of Practice – Corporate Law, Domestic and International Mergers &…||View Profile|
|Mr Matthew Morgan||PartnerAreas of Practice: Commercial Property – Acquisitions, Disposals, Investment, Landlord and Tenant||View Profile|
|Mr Rex Newman||Managing PartnerAreas of Practice – Corporate Finance||View Profile|
|Mr Martin Otvos||PartnerAreas of Practice: Sale, Acquisition, Development, Funding and Letting of Commercial Property.||View Profile|
|Ms Meera Patel||PartnerAreas of Practice: Property Litigation, Commercial Landlord and Tenant Litigation||View Profile|
|Mr Mark Randolph||PartnerAreas of Practice: Commercial and Residential Property, Landlord and Tenant, Property Finance.||View Profile|
|Mr Simon Serota||PartnerAreas of Practice: Commercial Litigation, Property Litigation, Leasehold Enfranchisement, Professional Negligence||View Profile|
|Mr Alexander Weinberg||Partner Areas of Practice – High Value Commercial Litigation & Arbitration, Domestic…||View Profile|
|Charlotte Wheeldon||PartnerAreas of Practice – Corporate Law, Corporate Finance, Property Finance, UK and…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of UK partners : 16 Number of other UK fee-earners : 25
Wallace is firmly committed to diversity and to providing equality of opportunity in all aspects of our activities. We believe we have much to learn, and can profit as individuals, from diverse cultures, experiences and perspectives and regard diversity as an asset to our work as it improves our ability to meet the needs of our partners, staff and clients.
The firm has long prided itself on its collegial and friendly culture – a key feature of the culture we encourage is respect and enthusiasm for the diverse character of the individuals with whom we each engage.
Our policy is to apply a merit based approach to recruitment, promotion and advancement throughout the firm. It is axiomatic that we strive to treat all individuals fairly and with dignity and respect and to provide a safe, supportive and welcoming environment for everyone. Of course, we must comply with the law, but the law sets minimum standards and our aim is excellence.
Corporate & Social Responsibility
Wallace takes seriously its place in the community, the privileged position that it and its partners enjoy in society and the responsibilities that implies. We are regular supporters of charitable causes that are meaningful to our partners, staff and clients. We encourage pro bono work in suitable cases where we have the expertise to do justice to the client’s needs.
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Andy Atkins- Krüger, Founder
TESTIMONIAL: “It was the first time we had worked with John Woodhouse and the team at Wallace’s but what a great decision that was. John, Charlotte Wheeldon, Sabrina Mitchell and Stephanie Claridge focused on different aspects of the transaction which made them particularly effective and never wanting for resources even when the clock was putting us under pressure. They showed tremendous patience when the pressure of the deal led to frustrations on our side and carefully guided us around the pitfalls. They were also adept at guiding the TransPerfect legal team around our redlines delivering time after time. We couldn’t have asked for better support and would work with them again in a heartbeat. And to top it, they were an absolute pleasure to work with!”
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Mike Hampson, Founder
COMPANY/FIRM: Bishopsgate Financial
TESTIMONIAL: John Woodhouse, Charlotte Wheeldon and the whole Wallace team gave us tremendous support and were available to deal quickly with all issues that arose. I felt comfortable throughout the process and was particularly grateful for the efforts of the team in the final days to completing the transaction. I would always be happy to recommend them.
John Woodhouse led the Wallace corporate team which included Charlotte Wheeldon, Sabrina Mitchell and Imogen Kelland. Daniel Isaac advised on all employment aspects of the transaction.
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Lee Clarke, RCG’s COO
COMPANY/FIRM: The Renewables Consulting Group
TESTIMONIAL: “Many thanks to the team at Wallace for assisting RCG with the sale transaction. We got the very best legal advice on the deal, with a team that went the extra mile and burnt the midnight oil for us when it mattered. Wallace’s understanding and experience of deals in our sector was critical in getting the deal over the line. I would wholeheartedly recommend Wallace to any business owner setting off on a similar process.” John Woodhouse led the Wallace corporate team which included Sarah Merriott, Laura Gillard, Sabrina Mitchell and Imogen Kelland.
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: John Cusins, Co-founder
COMPANY/FIRM: Lumin Wealth
TESTIMONIAL: “Having worked with John Woodhouse and Wallace for many years it was a simple decision to ask them to represent Lumin on this seminal transaction. The entire process from start to finish was executed to a very high standard by John and his team.”
The Wallace team comprised of corporate partner John Woodhouse, Associate Sabrina Mitchell and paralegal Imogen Kelland.
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Jens Pedersen, CEO commented
COMPANY/FIRM: Efficio Management
TESTIMONIAL: “The Wallace team has successfully supported Efficio for many years and has again proved invaluable in steering the group through this latest transaction which was completed quickly and efficiently. We look forward to continuing our partnership with Wallace over the next phase of Efficio’s growth.”
The Wallace team comprised of corporate partners John Woodhouse and David Judah, supported by Laura Gillard, Sabrina Mitchell and Harriet Montgomery.
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Richard Kleiner, CEO
COMPANY/FIRM: Gerald Edelman LLP
TESTIMONIAL: “It was a pleasure to work with David Judah and his team who professionally guided us through the restructuring process and provided outstanding advice and service throughout our negotiations with ETL.”
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Stu Grubbs, CEO & Co-Founder
COMPANY/FIRM: Infiniscene Inc
TESTIMONIAL: “David Judah provided valuable insight and guidance on deal structure and the regulatory aspects of our US shareholders receiving equity interests in Vitec’s UK company. His responsiveness and expertise brought us understanding and confidence in an area where we were otherwise unfamiliar.”
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Mattias Eriksson, Founder
COMPANY/FIRM: C8 Technology Holdings
TESTIMONIAL: “It is a pleasure to work with David Judah, who with his broad corporate experience, provided an outstanding and proactive service. “
Wallace Corporate Team
CLIENT: Alasdair Lumsden, CEO
COMPANY/FIRM: Every City Limited
TESTIMONIAL: “Having worked closely with Wallace LLP for a number of years, we were delighted to have the opportunity to work with them on this transaction. Their expert guidance and support throughout the M&A process helped get us across the finish line, and we’re extremely thankful for all their hard work and tenacious efforts on making this possible.”
The Wallace team was led by corporate partner Charlotte Wheeldon, supported by corporate associate Sabrina Mitchell and employment associate Leigh Leach.
Wallace Employment Team
CLIENT: Helen Kaye, is Vice President HR – UK, Ireland & International Software Businesses
COMPANY/FIRM: Henry Schein
TESTIMONIAL: “Henry Schein have worked with Wallace for over 15 years on a number of employment matters both UK domestic, and as part of a global project team. The team lead by Daniel Issac are professional, approachable and responsive and have a thorough understanding of our culture and ethics as an organisation. The Wallace team provide a first-class service together with sound commercial recommendations.”
Wallace Employment Team
CLIENT: Jacob Benbunan, CEO and co-Founder
COMPANY/FIRM: Saffron Brand Consultants
TESTIMONIAL: Running an international consultancy with offices in many jurisdictions, I must be able to call upon immediate, clear and pragmatic advice when needed. Daniel Issac provides that from the UK, with wit and diligence. He is clearly knowledgeable, interested and cares about Saffron’s business”
Wallace Property Litigation Team
CLIENT: Senior Property Manager
COMPANY/FIRM: Premier League Football Club
TESTIMONIAL: “Smart, practical, effective and exceptionally good at their job.”
The Wallace team is led by property litigation partner Meera Patel
Wallace Leasehold Enfranchisement Team
CLIENT: Mit Kotak, Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Chestertons Surveyors
TESTIMONIAL: “Samantha Bone heads the department and she is one of the most fearsome in the field. Always makes the client feel at ease and keeps the burden of stress on her so the client feels the process went ever so smoothly!”
Wallace Property Team
CLIENT: Andrew Jacobs, CEO
COMPANY/FIRM: Escape Hunt
TESTIMONIAL: “I have worked with Martin Otvos and his team at Wallace for many years now dealing with property matters across different hospitality businesses. They have always worked quickly and diligently to get the job done in the fastest and most cost-effective way possible and without fail have always been a pleasure to deal with”.
Wallace Property Team
CLIENT: Simon Bridbury – Director
COMPANY/FIRM: SB Restaurant Investments Limited
TESTIMONIAL: I have used Wallace for more than ten years and they have become my number one solicitor, probably the best firm I have ever used in a career of 30 plus years” The Wallace team is led by Martin Otvos.
Wallace Property Team
CLIENT: Henry Goldenberg, Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Heritage Land Limited
TESTIMONIAL: “Highly responsive, efficient, and reliable – a law firm who can see the wood from the trees”
Wallace IP & Technology Team
CLIENT: Peter Bullivant, Chief Financial and Operating Officer
TESTIMONIAL: “Frank Jennings and Wallace are our go-to lawyers for commercial and technology advice.”
Wallace Litigation Team
CLIENT: Tristan Nagler, Managing Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Aurelius UK
TESTIMONIAL: “Wallace was extremely efficient and reliable, providing invaluable insight and support from its litigation, restructuring and corporate teams’’. The Wallace team on this assignment was led by partner, Alexander Weinberg.
Wallace Litigation Team
CLIENT: K. Daskalakis
COMPANY/FIRM: Senior Technical Consultant
TESTIMONIAL: ‘’Wallace has extensive in-depth knowledge of litigation proceedings and provide timely and to the point strategic advice to carve out associated risks for the client’’.
Wallace Litigation Team
CLIENT: A. Mundhra
COMPANY/FIRM: Company Executive
TESTIMONIAL: ‘’The Wallace litigation team and particularly Alex Weinberg and his team are very client oriented and take active interest in dealing with client matters’’.
Wallace Litigation Team
COMPANY/FIRM: Shareholder Litigation Defendants
TESTIMONIAL: ‘’Wallace provided a First-Class service over 7 years of the case. Their preparation was thorough, their selection of Counsel very reassuring and their overall approach to prepare us for trial paid huge dividends with the outcome. At all times they were consistent with their advice and honest’’.
- Advising the founding shareholders of ID Business Solutions, a world leading data management solutions software provider, mostly for the life science sector, on the sale to Danaher Corporation.
- Advising the sellers and the management team in a private equity deal involving the sale of a majority shareholding in Livingstone Technologies to the Carlyle Group.
- Advising the founders of leading consultancy Regulis, experts in pharmaceutical regulatory affairs on the recent merger with PharmaLex, leading provider of specialised services for the pharma, biotech and medical device industries worldwide.
- Advising the founder and shareholders of Critical Resource Strategy & Analysis on the sale of the company to Environmental Resources Management, leading global provider of environmental and sustainability related services.
- Advising the founding shareholders of award-winning creative agency Social Life, on the sale of the company to Jellyfish.
- Acting for Shaw International Holdings in the sale of its 50% shareholding in Autoprotect group to Correlation Investments, a South African private equity house.
- Advising a Fortune 200 company, an employer of approximately 1,600 people in the UK, on its contracts and policies, acquisitions and reorganisations, dismissals and disputes, including issues relating to confidential information and post-termination restrictions.
- Advising the CEOs of many of London’s leading advertising agencies on resigning, signing new contracts, taking equity and avoiding post-termination restrictions.
- Acting on numerous cases arising from the #metoo phenomenon, both for women alleging harassment and assisting individuals accused of inappropriate behaviour.
IP and Technology
Technology and Cloud
- Advising Excell on the purchase of IT/telecoms products and services from Telcos and on the sale and re-sale of such products and services to its customers.
- Advising Efficio on the licensing of its bespoke proprietary procurement technology platform.
- Advising Competitive Capabilities International on their global licence agreement with EY Catalyst Limited, a member firm of Ernst and Young Global Limited.
- Advising technology provider Databarracks on disaster recovery as a service and back-up as a service.
- Advising MedsOnTrack on software service agreements.
- Advising a large portfolio investor on the migration of their IT infrastructure to a cloud platform.
Commercial contracts and IP
- Advising Efficio on procurement services contracts.
- Advising on contract for provision of bar and concession services at events for Peppermint.
- Advising on IP licences for Infringe Magazine.
Data Protection and GDPR
- Advising various clients how to comply with the GDPR regulations, including how to manage data collection, transfers, marketing databases, data breaches, handling data subject access requests and avoiding fines.
- Acting for foreign domiciled defendants to Commercial Court claims in the sum of US$1.85 billion brought by companies within a Brazilian mining and metals business.
- Acting for foreign incorporated entities in LCIA proceedings brought by a Middle Eastern company in a claim for in excess of US $75 million. The claim concerns allegations of fraud arising out of the operation of a tolling agreement in the metals and mining sector.
- Acting for a well-known international businessman defending LCIA proceedings brought by a BVI company in a claim for approximately US$14 million, concerning a debt disputed on the grounds of fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Successfully challenging the jurisdiction of the English court in relation to Commercial Court claims for in excess of US $100 million brought against foreign domiciled individuals by companies within a well-known international mining and metals business.
- Acting for a Russian high net worth individual, in a dispute with a UK property developer, and a Bahamian investment fund.
- Successfully representing an overseas high net worth individual and his UK domiciled co-defendant in their defence of substantial multimillion pound proceedings brought against them by a disgruntled investor concerning allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, dishonest assistance, conspiracy and breach of trust.
Banking & Financial Services Litigation
- Acting for a group of high street names in relation to competition claims against MasterCard and Visa in relation to historic multi-lateral interchange fees imposed by the card companies.
- Acting in conjunction with a leading group litigation management company in pursuing a substantial claim on behalf of investors in the LF Woodford Equity Income Fund following its suspension in June 2019 and subsequent announcement that the fund will be wound down. Looking in particular at claims that over 150,000 investors may have against Hargreaves Lansdown, which promoted the Woodford fund up until its suspension.
- Acting for a proprietary trading firm based in Dubai in relation to claims that it conspired with the outgoing sellers of a multi-national brokerage to artificially inflate revenue so as to trigger a final earn-out payment in excess of US$40 million.
- Successfully representing, at first instance and on appeal, a prominent Swiss based aircraft leasing company in relation to a multi-million dollar claim against a Bahraini bank.
- Successfully acting for an independent equities and derivatives trader based in Dubai in his defence of US proceedings concerning allegations of insider trading relating to the purchase and sale of Fortress Investment Group LLC securities.
- Acting for a Russian high net worth individual in a circa US $10 million claim against a leading financial services company concerning the alleged non-payment of introductory fees in respect of two bond issuance projects valued at approximately US $1 billion.
- Continuing to advise on the new Tottenham Hotspur stadium, including the related urban regeneration scheme.
- Acting for international hotel group Warwick Hotels & Resorts, on its acquisition of The Capital Group. The acquisition included two hotels in Knightsbridge, the Capital Hotel and the Levin Hotel.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern investment group on the purchase of a central London head office building for a consideration of in excess of 50m.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern investor on the purchase of two central London head office buildings each in excess of 50m.
Property: Leasehold Enfranchisement
- Acting for the Freshwater Group of Companies, one of London’s prominent landlords in hundreds of enfranchisement cases per year.
- Acting on behalf of Lexgorge in the Supreme Court appeal on a landmark case on the definition of ‘a house’.
- Advising on behalf of US private equity group Westbrook Partners in the largest enfranchisement claim to date.
- Successfully acting for Daejan Estates when a lessee’s surveyor failed to produce expert evidence for a tribunal hearing, a topical case because practitioners in enfranchisement have been waiting for decisions on Rule 13 (costs) since the rules were introduced in 2013.
- Acting for the intermediate landlord in Harley Street (holding a lease that exists between a freehold owner and tenant). The matter concerned a point of law on whether an intermediate landlord can be bound by the decisions of the freehold owner as to the amount to be paid to the intermediate landlord on the grant of a new lease.
- Successfully acting for Whitehall Court on a claim for a new lease. The dispute, as determined in the Court of Appeal was regarding a complicated overage provision within the headlease.
- Representing a leading property company in opposing renewal of commercial leases on grounds of redevelopment and obtaining possession of an iconic Soho nightclub.
- Successfully advising a US Fortune 500 company in relation to a terminal dilapidations claim and threatened claim by the landlord to re-enter the premises to carry out repair works.
- Advising a listed HR company in connection with its rent review under a lease with a rent of in excess of £500,000.
- Successfully representing a landlord in forfeiture of a commercial head lease of a mixed-use property and defeated an application for relief from forfeiture brought by a residential sub-lessee resulting in a significant windfall to the landlord.
- Representing a large group of residential lessees of a central London development comprising over 450 flats in complex applications to the Property Chamber.
- Advising on one of the UK’s largest Right To Manage claims.
Restructure and Insolvency
- Acting for the BVI-incorporated holding company of a well-known retailer and its beneficial owners in relation to the winding down of the company’s operations in the UK.
- Advising a high street retailer in relation to claims by the administrators of former suppliers arising from licence agreements for the use of a well-known designer brand on its products.
- Advising the joint administrators of various companies in a prominent healthcare group as litigation counsel in relation to the strategic corporate restructuring of the group following its acquisition as a distressed business.
- Advising a pan-European investment group as litigation counsel in relation to various planned strategic acquisitions, associated corporate restructurings and claims and associated insolvency matters arising as a result.
- Advising a private equity owned medical services company in respect of its claim concerning a mortgaged bank account over which the bank claimed a right of set off.
- Acting for three private owner-operated companies in claims valued in the region of £18 million against a leading bank, valuation firm and former administrators relating to the forced sale of three profitable care homes in the context of the collapse of the Southern Cross Group in 2011.
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms