Firm Profile > BLC Robert & Associates > Ebene , Mauritius
BLC Robert & Associates Offices
2ND FLOOR, THE AXIS
26 BANK STREET, CYBERCITY
EBENE 72201, MAURITIUS
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Notable Cases
- Legal Developments
BLC Robert & Associates > The Legal 500 Rankings
Leading firms Tier 1
‘A leader in Mauritius’, BLC Robert & Associates earns praise for its ‘excellent legal skills’, ‘great response times’ and ‘strong client care’. Managing partner Iqbal Rajahbalee is a sought-after litigator and also handles transactional and regulatory matters; he advised Grit Real Estate Income Group on the local aspects of its listing on the LSE. Other recommended names include Jason Harel (‘commercially astute with strong legal understanding’), litigation specialist André Robert and Jean-Eric Sauzier.
BLC Robert & Associates > Firm Profile
The firm: BLC Robert is the leading independent full-service business law firm in Mauritius. The firm has seven partners and over 30 locally and internationally trained fee-earners serving a diverse client base including regional and multinational companies, global financial institutions and funds, public sector bodies amongst others. We are a member of ALN, the leading integrated network of Law Firms in Africa. Our main areas of practice are Corporate & Commercial, Banking & Finance and Dispute Resolution.
Areas of practice: Financial Services & Regulations: Our financial services group advises a vast number of funds, PE houses, managers, insurance companies, fiduciary businesses and financial advisers involved in the sector. We have been the adviser to over 200 funds set up in Mauritius. Iqbal is held in high regard having lead a number of legislative drafting teams on the subject and having been the first chief executive of th Financial Services Commission (the “FSC”) . He is the founder of the offshore industry in Mauritius and served as the first Executive Director of the Mauritius Offshore Business Activities Authority, the predecessor of the FSC.
Corporate & Commercial: We service a variety of clients ranging from multinational companies, banks, financial institutions and high net worth individuals on all aspects of the corporate sphere ranging from company formation, advisory work, legal opinions, due diligence exercises, transaction closings and assisting our clients in common matters that turn around a company’s daily life. Of note in this practice area is our partner Jason who delivers commercially sound legal advice, by virtue of his accounting, legal and entrepeneurial backgrounds.
Banking & Finance: Our lawyers advise and provide support on both domestic and cross-border transactions in numerous areas ranging from acquisition finance, project finance (including infrastructure) to structured or trade finance. Our team is also involved in providing regulatory and compliance advice to banks and financial institutions, helping them from formation to operations and dealings. We regularly intervene on behalf of a wide spectrum of transaction parties which includes local and international banks, DFIs and other financial institutions, corporate lenders, investment funds, project sponsors, operators, borrowers, guarantors, governmental and international organisations. Jean-Eric the partner who heads this practice is also well versed with real estate developments, hospitality and information technology. Jean-Eric has also been involved in the drafting of various pieces of legislation which served either as the foundation for or improvements to the Mauritian information technology, intellectual property and data protection legal and regulatory frameworks.
Dispute Resolution: Our lawyers are actively involved in various forms of dispute resolution. We are regularly called upon at the early stages of dispute situations where we give robust advice to the clients’ legal position, the strengths and weaknesses of their cases and the most effective avenues to settle the dispute, whether by mediation, narrowing down of issues in view of expert determination or arbitration of remaining issues, or the service formal legal notices. Again worthy of mention is our Managing Partner Iqbal who is a Senior Counsel with over 30 years of practice at the Bar of Mauritius with considerable experience in handling all forms of disputes before the Mauritian Courts, statutory tribunals, expert determinations and arbitrations (both domestic and international). In addition, Iqbal served for more than ten years at the Attorney General’s Office under the Ministry of Justice rising to the position of Assistant Solicitor General.
|Corporate and commercial||Jason Harel (Jason.Harel@blc.mu)|
|Corporate and commercial||Fayaz Hajee Abdoula (Fayaz.Abdoula@blc.mu)|
|Banking and finance||Jean-Eric Sauzier (Jean-Eric.Sauzier@blc.mu)|
|Banking and finance||Valerie Bisasur (Valerie.Bisasur@blc.mu)|
|Dispute resolution||Iqbal Rajahbalee (Iqbal.R@blc.mu)|
|Dispute resolution||Mushtaq Namdarkhan (Mushtaq.Namdarkhan@blc.mu)|
|Financial services and regulations||Iqbal Rajahbalee (Iqbal.R@blc.mu)|
|Financial services and regulations||Bhavna Ramsurun (Bhavna.Ramsurun@blc.mu|
|Taxation||Jason Harel (Jason.Harel@blc.mu)|
|Taxation||Javed Niamut (Javed.Niamut@blc.mu)|
|TMT and intellectual property||André Robert (Andre.Robert@blc.mu)|
|TMT and intellectual property||Ammar Oozeer (Ammar.Oozeer@blc.mu)|
|Insolvency||Jean-Eric Sauzier (Jean-Eric.Sauzier@blc.mu)|
|Insolvency||Jason Harel (Jason.Harel@blc.mu)|
|Mergers and acquisitions||Jason Harel (Jason.Harel@blc.mu)|
|Mergers and acquisitions||Fayaz Hajee Abdoula (Fayaz.Abdoula@blc.mu)|
|Capital markets||Iqbal Rajahbalee (Iqbal.R@blc.mu)|
|Capital markets||Bhavna Ramsurun (Bhavna.Ramsurun@blc.mu)|
|Employment||Fayaz Hajee Abdoula (Fayaz.Abdoula@blc.mu)|
|Employment||Javed Niamut (Javed.Niamut@blc.mu)|
|Real estate and hospitality||Jason Harel (Jason.Harel@blc.mu)|
|Real estate and hospitality||Fayaz Hajee Abdoula (Fayaz.Abdoula@blc.mu)|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 25
MembershipsAfrican Legal Network (ALN) Website: www.africalegalnetwork.com
OtherOther offices : Port Louis
Diversity and Inclusion
BLC Robert & Associates commitment to diversity is exemplified by its very workforce which mirrors the melting pot of cultures that make up Mauritian society. In order to remain the premier provider of legal services in the country BLCR has recognised the need to create a nurturing environment for young legal minds of all socio-economic backgrounds.
- Acted as Mauritian legal advisor to Grit Real Estate Income Group Limited (Grit) in respect of its listing on the Official List of the London Stock Exchange (LSE) and making Grit the only Mauritian company currently listed on the LSE. Following the London listing, Grit now has a triple listing, with it already listed on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. In conjunction with the listing on the LSE, Grit has also raised USD132 million.
- Acted for Hotelbeds Group on the sale of their holdings in destination management businesses in Mauritius, namely Manahe Ltd and Alpha Tourism & Marketing Services Ltd. This transaction involved liaising with the Mauritian Tourism Authority to gain its approval of the transaction, assisting our client in meeting the conditions set by the Tourism Authority and assisting with closing formalities.
- Acted as Mauritian counsel to BPCE IOM on the sale of its entire shareholding in Banque des Mascareignes to Banque Central Populaire. BLC Robert assisted BPCE IOM on the regulatory implications as well as the corporate aspects of this sale.
- Acted as Mauritius Counsel to Afreximbank with respect to its launch of a US$300 million equity offering in Mauritius by raising capital through the use of Depository Receipts, i.e. securities which will be traded on the Stock Exchange of Mauritius. The transaction was a ground-breaking one with the listing of the Depositary Receipts representing a big first not only in Mauritius but also for Africas equity capital markets.
- Acted for Mastercard International Incorporated (MasterCard) before the Competition Commission of Mauritius in a hearing before the Commissioners following an investigation and recommendations made by the Executive Director of the Competition Commission on the level of Issuer Interchange Fee set by Mastercard for Point of Sales Transactions in Mauritius.
Mauritius is the first country in the southern hemisphere to have recently revamped its data protection legal regime by repealing the previous Data Protection Act 2004 ("DPA 2004") and adopting a new law, namely the Data Protection Act 2017 ("DPA 2017") following the adoption of the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) ("GDPR") in the European Union.