Firm Profile > Gan Partnership > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Gan Partnership Offices
D-32-02, Menara SUEZCAP 1
KL Gateway, No.2, Jalan Kerinchi, Gerbang Kerinchi Lestari
59200 Kuala Lumpur
Gan Partnership > The Legal 500 Rankings
Intellectual property Tier 2Gan Partnership's IP offering has been bolstered following the arrival of former Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill partners Bahari Yeow and Lim Zhi Jian, both experienced litigators. Drawing on its specialist strengths in dispute resolution and ADR, the team recently advised Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton on the advertising, labelling, and packaging of alcoholic drinks in Malaysia.
‘The IP team at Gan Partnership does more than traditional sector work. We value their expertise and in-depth understanding of the industry and the unique regulatory regime that governs it‘.
‘The IP team at Gan Partnership, led by Bahari and Jian, is undoubtedly very skilled. Besides being a dynamic team, you can always rely on them for on-point legal advice, be it for filing for protection to more contentious matters such as domain name infringement. They are quick to respond and are always on-point and appropriate. Happy to say that where IP matters are concerned, Bahari and his team are definitely the ones you should turn to‘.
‘Gan Partnership’s strength lies in its close relationship with clients. They often find ways to solve problems and look for ways to address their clients’ concerns and needs‘.
‘Responsive, knowledgeable, and excellent value‘.
‘Bahari definitely stands out as the go-to IP lawyer. Over the years, Bahari has played a crucial role in assisting our organisation in all IP related matters. His depths of legal acumen, industry experience and gentle demeanour adds to our confidence that our interests and concerns are well-taken care of and thought of. I would not hesitate to recommend Bahari any time!‘
‘Bahari and Jian are exceptional in their responsiveness – they are always supportive and always willing to exert significant effort to help even in extremely urgent requests. They are very thorough in their research and thoughtful in their analysis, and they can balance the same with practical and pragmatic advice on risk mitigation‘.
‘Bahari and Jian are our go-to experts for IP work in Malaysia. Approachable, responsive and provide cost-effective solutions‘
Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
Employees’ Provident Fund
Great Eastern Life Assurance
Koch Industries, Inc.
Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
UMW Grantt International Sdn Bhd
Hap Seng Consolidated Berhad
Fipper Marketing Sdn Bhd
Kien Huat Realty Sdn Bhd
Dispute resolution Tier 3The 'dedicated, reliable and reassuring' dispute resolution team at Gan Partnership is led by Gan Khong Aik who is lauded for being a 'vastly experienced litigation lawyer who is meticulous, thorough and possesses troubleshooting skills'. Co-head Foo Joon Liang 'precisely prescribes the legal action framework to safeguard his clients' interests'. Notably, it recently strengthened this offering following the recruitment of former Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill partners Bahari Yeow Tien Hong and Lim Zhi Jian. In effect the firm has expanded its client offering in both ADR and contentious intellectual property matters. Chubb Insurance and ExxonMobil Exploration and Production are key names within its portfolio.
‘Clear updates and clear information given, perfect paperwork and hardly can find error in the documents prepared, very cooperative and perfect teamwork, well prepared before attending court, a firm with a strong belief and positive culture from top to bottom!‘
‘The Litigation team has all the criteria we need – dedicated and reliable and assuring‘.
‘The firm has a number of highly-experienced and knowledgeable partners with a proven track record in dispute resolution. Besides being responsive to clients, the firm’s senior lawyers are extremely professional, reliable, approachable, display sound judgment and are value for money‘.
‘They relentlessly seek solutions to issue raised by clients and try to make the client feel at ease and secure whenever faced with whatever challenges‘.
‘Mr Gan Khong Aik – a person who upholds integrity, truth and helps clients to defend their interests in justice. He is a very professional and experienced person with clear direction who enables clients to understand the entire litigation process. Willing to spend a lot of time to understand client needs and give professional advice.’
‘The firm has a number of experienced and competent commercially-conscious and client-oriented partners, notably Mr Gan Khong Aik is a vastly experienced litigation lawyer who is meticulous, thorough and possesses troubleshooting skills‘.
‘As one of the main Principals of the firm, Mr Foo Joon Liang is not only knowledgeable, he understands the client’s requirements and precisely prescribes the legal action framework to safeguard his clients’ interest’.
‘Bahari, Jian and the team are hands-on and approachable. Both Bahari and Jian are commercially and legally sound. They know what they are doing, and know the subject area including the industries very well. Both Bahari and Jian are exemplary IP litigators‘.
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
AmBank (M) Bhd & Group of Companies
AmGeneral Holdings Bhd
AmInvestment Group Bhd
Apex Equity Holdings Bhd
Axiata Global Service Pte Ltd
Comintel Corporation Bhd
RHB Trustees Berhad
United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd
Celcom Axiata Berhad
DiGi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd
Lonpac Insurance Bhd
The Pacific Insurance Bhd
Chubb Insurance Berhad
MSIG Insurance (Malaysia) Bhd
ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Malaysia Inc.
ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Sunway Group of Companies
Tan & Tan Developments Bhd
Titijaya Land Berhad
Hong Leong Industries Bhd
Master Mulia Sdn Bhd
LJack (M) Sdn Bhd
UKM Holdings Sdn Bhd
Tan Sri Dato’ Sir Tiong Hiew King
Dato Ng Geok Hwa
Labour and employment Tier 4
Led by the 'very sharp and accurate' Gan Khong Aik, the Employment and Industrial Relations team at Gan Partnership is said to provide clients with: 'holistic and comprehensive advice'. Notably, the boutique firm concentrates on dispute resolution and counts Philip Morris and ExxonMobil Exploration & Production Inc within its portfolio. A highlight is the firm's work for United Overseas Bank on an allegation of unlawful dismissal.
‘The quality and in-depth knowledge of the partner we’ve been in contact with has been so convincing that we could put his professional advice to good use right away. From past experience, some people in the same profession may end up taking some time to ‘digest’ the crux of the matter, leaving us anxiously in the quandary, but not with this person in this firm‘.
‘I am extremely grateful and happy with what Gan Khong Aik and Ashley Lee Sze Ching did for winning my case against a very established multinational company. The teamwork between Gan and Ashley is very strong and complementary. Gan provides leadership and strategic approach to my case and Ashley is just incredibly meticulous in searching for authorities to support the argument.I appreciated most is their professionalism and it has been fun working with them‘.
‘Gan Partnership gives holistic and comprehensive advice on labor and employment matters. We trust their assessment and value the risk mitigation measures they recommend‘.
‘The lawyers have very strong knowledge of the local labor laws and are very well acquainted with the latest labor trends. They interpret the laws in a practical and logical manner which enables a lay person to understand and utilize that information. They are give a lot of exposure to court proceedings and hands on training.They have close knowledge of the processes and precedence of the labor departments and labor courts. This is extremely important as it helps in the counsel they provide their clients‘.
‘Mr Gan (Partner) and Ms Ashley Lee (Associate) are meticulous in understanding the factual matrix of cases, articulating the legal and practical issues and in preparing witness statements and collating relevant documents before trial. They plan ahead and provide sufficient and appropriate guidance to our witnesses without compromising their professional integrity.’
‘Mr Gan’s assessment on the issue in hand has always been very sharp and accurate. He is very prompt with his response which makes it more convenient for us to act on the next move. He is always calm and composed but in complete control of the situation. His ability to grasp the crux of the matter within the very brief moment after it is being presented to him makes him stands out compared to others that I have dealt with before because he would offer solutions in an instant too. Time is of the essence, so having someone like Mr Gan to rely on is really advantageous for us to deal with any industrial relations or legal issues‘.
‘Mr Gan is an exceptional practitioner. He is very well respected by his peers and his clients. He is extremely humble and accessible. I find that he puts the integrity of the profession as a priority. And is a true trusted advisor‘.
United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
Saw Kong Beng
Philip Morris Sdn. Bhd
ExxonMobil Exploration & Production Inc.
Schlumberger Limited and its subsidiaries
Overseas Courier Sdn. Bhd.
Overseas Courier Service (S) Pte Ltd
Suez Capital Sdn. Bhd.
UKM Holdings Sdn Bhd
Celcom Axiata Bhd
ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Malaysia Sdn Bhd
GM Corporation Sdn. Bhd. (Japanese owned company)
OSK Holdings Bhd.
K-GIC Advertising Sdn. Bhd.
United Kotak Berhad
ECI Software Solutions (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Elowater Malaysia Sdn Bhd, subsidiary of Multi Water Holdings Limited
Kiplepay Sdn Bhd, subsidiary of Green Packet Bhd
Roland Berger Sdn Bhd
Valmont Corporate Shared Services Sdn Bhd
GS Paperboard and Packaging Sdn Bhd
Real estate and construction Tier 4
Gan Partnership is a boutique dispute resolution practice with particular strength in construction disputes. Co-founder of the firm Foo Joon Liang heads up the team and provides expertise on litigation, arbitration and adjudication of construction matters. He has worked on engineering and geotechnical disputes such as failures and collapses. Also of note is Tan Min Lee who has represented developers, contractors and subcontractors in construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC)
Bina Puri Group of Companies
Sunway Group of Companies
Mah Sing Group Berhad
Hap Seng Land Bhd
OSK Properties Bhd
Masenang Sdn Bhd
NIWG Group of Companies
Tuck Sin Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd
Accolade Land Sdn Bhd
Zelan Construction Sdn Bhd
Gan Partnership > Firm Profile
Clients faced with complex and difficult cases look to Gan Partnership. Known for its solid strength in dispute resolution, this internationally recognised law firm provides clients with an arsenal ranging from senior counsel with over 25 years’ experience before all levels of courts to aggressive junior and modern litigators. With the 2020 addition of two partners with over three decades of experience between them, the firm has grown from strength to strength.
Gan Partnership extends its capabilities to East Malaysia through collaborations with leading advocates and solicitors in that region. With the wide access to a network of eminent international and local technical consultants and experts, the resourceful and multilingual 24-member team provides comprehensive and innovative solutions to its clients spanning across various industries.
|Arbitration||Gan Khong Aikemail@example.com||+603 7931 8166|
|Arbitration||Foo Joon Liangfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8177|
|Arbitration||Tan Min Leeemail@example.com||+603 7931 8211|
|Litigation & Risk Management||Gan Khong Aikfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8166|
|Anti-Bribery & Corruption||Gan Khong Aikemail@example.com||+603 7931 8166|
|Antitrust & Competition||Tan Min Leefirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8211|
|Banking & Finance||Tan Min Leeemail@example.com||+603 7931 8211|
|Boardroom Risk & Reputation||Gan Khong Aikfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8166|
|Construction, Infrastructure & Project||Foo Joon Liangemail@example.com||+603 7931 8177|
|Construction, Infrastructure & Project||Tan Min Leefirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8211|
|Corporate Governance & Compliance||Gan Khong Aikemail@example.com||+603 7931 8166|
|Crisis Management||Bahari Yeow Tien Hongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 6288|
|Cyber Security||Lim Zhi Jianemail@example.com||+603 7931 8668|
|Employment, Benefits and Incentives & Industrial Relations||Gan Khong Aikfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8166|
|Energy & Resources||Foo Joon Liangemail@example.com||+603 7931 8177|
|Healthcare & Life Sciences||Bahari Yeow Tien Hongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 6288|
|Insurance||Gan Khong Aikemail@example.com||+603 7931 8166|
|Intellectual Property||Bahari Yeow Tien Hongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 6288|
|Intellectual Property||Lim Zhi Jianemail@example.com||+603 7931 8668|
|Real Estate||Mah Mun Yanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 7060|
|Regulatory & Compliance||Gan Khong Aikemail@example.com||+603 7931 8166|
|Regulatory & Compliance||Tan Min Leefirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8211|
|Restructuring & Insolvency||Gan Khong Aikemail@example.com||+603 7931 8166|
|Restructuring & Insolvency||Foo Joon Liangfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 8177|
|Sports||Lim Zhi Jianemail@example.com||+603 7931 8668|
|Technology, Media & Telecommunications||Bahari Yeow Tien Hongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 7931 6288|
|Technology, Media & Telecommunications||Lim Zhi Jianemail@example.com||+603 7931 8668|
|Mr Joon Liang Foo||Partner||View Profile|
|Eri Swee Theeng Fu||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Mr Khong Aik Gan||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Mei Yee Kang||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Xin Div Lee||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Ms Sze Ching, Ashley Lee||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Mr Zhi Jian Lim||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Mun Yan Mah||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Ms Min Lee Tan||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Bahari Tien Hong Yeow||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 6 Lawyers : 29
LanguagesEnglish Mandarin and Chinese dialects Malay (Bahasa Malaysia)
- Acting for the Asian International Arbitration Centre including the first reported constitutional challenge on statutory adjudication
- Acting before the apex court in a challenge against an arbitration award concerning novel constitutional and jurisdictional issues
- Acting before the apex court to set aside of a multimillion-dollar arbitration award involving key questions on Arbitration Act 2005
- Acting in the apex court on significant legal points concerning limitation periods in arbitration.
Litigation and Risk Management
- Acting in multiple actions arising from the complex disputes between directors and shareholders of a company operating in the nature of a quasi-partnership
- Acting in an action arising from a deadlock in a family-run company which tested the new company law regime
- Acting for the largest telco in Malaysia in a sophisticated dispute covering laws on domain names, trademark infringement, passing off, breach of contract, fraud and inducement.
- Acted for a foreign company and obtained an order in the first Malaysia case in respect of parallel import of goods produced by the same company for different regions
Construction, Infrastructure and Projects
- Acted in the Federal Court and Court of Appeal in a dispute involving the interplay between insolvency laws and a direct payment provision of the Construction Industry Payment and Adjudication Act 2012 (CIPAA), resulting in a landmark decision in the construction dispute resolution industry
- Acted in the oft-cited landmark decision of the apex court on jurisdictional issues concerning CIPAA
- Acting in a series of disputes arising from a bridge collapse in Malaysia involving leading engineering experts from Europe and Asia
- Acted in a state commission inquiry for a highly publicised hill slope failure
Employment, Benefits and Incentives & Industrial Relations
- Involved in an appeal leading to a significant decision relating to the computation of benefits in an unlawful dismissal action
- Advising on the employee’s code of conduct in light of the newly enforced corporate corruption liability
- Acting for local and foreign employer-companies in a board range of employment and industrial relations disputes and advisory
- Advised Insurers and Reinsurers on a wide range of issues relating to insurance policy, claims, and disputes.
- Advising and acting for Insurers and Reinsurers in a RM 125 million Machinery Breakdown/Loss of Profit claim arising from an aluminium smelter incident.
- Acting for Insurers in a reinsurance claim over RM 22 million involving fraudulent cheque payment by a bank.
- Represented the world’s largest technology company and third-largest mobile phone manufacturer in a global trademark dispute against the largest Swiss Watch group
- Represented an American 20+ time Grammy Award winning artist on image rights
- Represented the world’s largest restaurant chain (revenue) in various trademark and advertising disputes
- Advised an oil & gas multinational corporation on a technology dispute pertaining to undersea scanning/diagnostics technology
- Advised a multinational luxury goods conglomerate on media and advertising law
- Advised one of the largest European mobile network operators on a dispute pertaining to wrongful use of telecommunications equipment and services
- Represented an American global aerospace and advanced technologies company in a global dispute pertaining to laser guided weaponry
- Advised a foreign Embassy on protection of trademarks denoting origin
- Advised an American multinational IT company in a technology joint venture agreement with a Malaysian company involving provision of tech services
- Represented a German premium automobile brand against counterfeit goods in Malaysia
- Represented the largest Malaysian automobile-maker in a trade mark infringement and copyright dispute
- Represented Malaysia’s largest oil & gas company in a breach of confidential information and copyright claim
- Represented the largest Government-linked Malaysian telecommunications company in the largest trade mark infringement action in its history, against an American manufacturer of telecommunications hardware
- Drafted a software agreement for big accounting firms