Firm Profile > Bharucha & Partners > Mumbai, India
Bharucha & Partners Offices
4TH FLOOR, CECIL COURT
MK BHUSHAN MARG, COLABA
MUMBAI 400 039
Bharucha & Partners > The Legal 500 Rankings
White-collar crime Tier 1
The stand-alone white-collar crime team at Bharucha & Partners is regularly involved in the market-leading cases, such as the ongoing ‘2G spectrum scam’ and 'coal block allocation scam’ cases before the upper courts; D.P. Singh and Sonam Gupta led the cases respectively. The team makes regular appearances before the Securities Exchange Board on financial cases for a client list of domestic and multinational corporates and significant individuals. Advising and assisting on criminal investigation enacted by the Enforcement Directorate and the CBI is another core aspect of the firm.
Corporate and M&A Tier 2
Acting for listed and unlisted corporates, Bharucha & Partners is active in domestic and cross border transactions for buyers and sellers, spanning share purchases, joint ventures, capital reductions, open offers, buy-backs and spin-offs in sectors such as energy, financial services, banking and telecoms, displaying particular ability in terms of advising on and navigating regulatory challenges and conducting due diligence. Experienced practice head Alka Bharucha remains a highly active member of the team, particularly in the banking, power and telecommunications industries. Recently she acted alongside fellow partner Ayesha Bharucha to advise Kalpataru Power Transmission and its Swedish subsidiary on its acquisition of an 85% stake in Linjemontage J Grastrop AB, enabling the client to gain a foothold in several countries in Scandinavia.
Alka Bharucha; Justin Bharucha
Other key lawyers:
Idea Cellular Limited
Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited
Axis Asset Management
Dispute resolution Tier 2
Bharucha & Partners’ litigation team focuses primarily on commercial disputes but also handles construction, insurance, white-collar crime, real estate and intellectual property mandates across a diverse spread of sectors, including financial services, food and drink, and media and entertainment, with particular expertise in the telecoms sector. Practice head MP Bharucha, who regularly advises clients on the application of Indian law in England, the US and Singapore, recently represented Vodafone Idea in a range of contentious matters, including successfully refuting the Competition Commission of India’s right to investigate alleged anti-consumer conduct of telecoms companies.
Projects and energy Tier 2
With particular prominence in the transport logistics sector, Bharucha & Partners focuses on infrastructure projects, covering ports, railways and roads, among other areas. Alka Bharucha has significant experience in the power sector. Co-head Justin Bharucha specialises in financing structures for projects pertaining to the energy sector, namely wind power.
Alka Bharucha; Justin Bharucha
Other key lawyers:
Kaushik Moitra; Sonam Gupta;
Fortum Finsurya Energy Private Limited
Adani Green Energy Limited
Orient Green Power Company Limited
Orange Renewable Private Limited
Kalpataru Power Transmission Ltd
Vestas Wind Technology India Private Limited
JM Baxi Group
Banking and finance Tier 3
Bharucha & Partners frequently acts for issuers in loan transactions with public and private sector banks, often to satisfy capital expenditure requirements or enable repayment of existing debt. The group is also occasionally instructed in the area of restructuring and insolvency, acting for a range of clients including financial creditors in IBC proceedings and lenders involved in resolution plans under the RBI’s revised framework for the resolution of stressed assets.
Alka Bharucha; Justin Bharucha
‘They are a competent team , very capable.’
‘They are customer centric and respond in detail to points raised or opinion sought. They are not ambiguous in their response.’
Vodafone Idea Ltd
Grover Zampa Vineyards Limited
Girnar Software Private Limited
DCB Bank Limited
FIM Bank PLc
Profectus Capital Pvt Ltd
Capital markets Tier 3
Primarily acting as legal counsel to companies and issuers in IPOs, Bharucha & Partners also advises offer managers and acquirers in open offers, and defends companies in regulatory proceedings brought by the SEBI and the Securities Appellate Tribunal in relation to the takeover code, unfair trade practices and various other allegations of non-compliance. Partner Vishnu Dutt boasts strong relationships with merchant bankers and domestic corporations and carries out both debt and equity transactions, acting for issuers and underwriters.
Other key lawyers:
Intellect Design Arena Limited
Neogen Chemicals Limited
ICICI Securities Limited
Dakshin Mercantile Private Limited
Centrum Capital Limited
EbixCash World Money Limited
Sanathnagar Enterprises Limited
Labour and employment Tier 3
Recent advisory mandates for Bharucha & Partners’ labour and employment practice included a significant number of issues concerning senior employment strategy, employee benefit structuring (including ESOPs), sexual harassment policy compliance and retrenchment exercises. Further complex instructions included a large-scale policy review resultant from handling senior level misconduct complaints. On the team’s growing contentious side, recent instructions involved responding to allegations of non-compete clause breaches.
MP Bharucha; Justin Bharucha
India Tourism Development Corporation
DJO Global India Healthcare
Shopsense Retail Technologies
TMT Tier 3Bharucha & Partners is a growing name in the media and entertainment space, and now counts a number of prominent domestic media houses, broadcasters, digital entertainment and distributors to its client list. Led by Kaushik Moitra, the team advises on content acquisition, contractual agreements, licensing and contract disputes. Market entry for telecoms and OTT platforms are other developing fields for the firm.
Sony Pictures Networks
Balaji Motion Pictures
Alt Balaji Digital Entertainment
Kahaaniwaaley Films & Media Ventures
Bharucha & Partners > Firm Profile
Quick facts –
- No. of Partners – 12;
- No. of lawyers – 70; and
- Languages – English, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi.
Client feedback –
- M P Bharucha is lauded by market sources as “one of the leading lawyers in the country,” who “has been on the top of his game for a long time.” Active on a range of commercial disputes, he maintains a particularly high reputation as a litigator in the Mumbai market.
- Alka Bharucha boasts a stellar reputation in corporate transactions. Described by clients as “very knowledgeable, articulate, composed and balanced in approach,” She is respected for her advice on cross-border M&A transactions as well as her proficiency in providing advice on general corporate issues, in particular within the power, telecommunications and banking sectors.
- D P Singh heads the stand-alone white-collar crime team at Bharucha & Partners which is regularly involved in the market-leading cases, such as the ‘2G spectrum scam’ and ‘coal block allocation scam’ cases.
- Founding partner Justin Bharucha specialises in foreign direct investments in highly regulated sectors. He is regularly active on complex cross-border transactions, utilising his deep knowledge of inbound and outbound M&A.
- Vandana Pai commands a strong reputation among market commentators, who praise her excellence in providing assistance with private equity transactions. Her clients are effusive with praise, with one reporting: “She foresees business and legal issues and is very proactive in addressing potential concerns.”
Firm overview –
Bharucha & Partners was founded on enduring principles of professional ethics and excellence. The Firm now has offices in 3 cities with 12 partners and over 70 associates who offer a mix of rich experience, creativity, and the energy of youth. Each partner has a wealth of experience handling complex commercial transactions or disputes and associates are selected as sharing the qualities and vision of the partners. An expertise in corporate and commercial practice along with M&A, banking and finance, litigation, arbitration, governance, ethics, and anti-corruption, IP, capital markets and financial regulation is well recognised. The Firm counts leading international and Indian corporate houses, banks, financial institutions and funds as clients. The Firm advises clients on domestic and cross-border issues across sectors including financial services, infrastructure, TMT, IT and ITES, construction and development, specialty chemicals, commodities, and wholesale and retail trade.
Key transactional practices with details of the relevant lawyers –
Banking & Finance:
- Advised DCB Bank with the INR 480.24 crores acquisition of certain assets of Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank PJSC (ADCB) consisting of loans, cash credits, bank guarantees and liabilities such as fixed deposits, current and savings accounts.
- Advised Profectus Capital Private Limited on its supply chain finance product.
- Advised Safeway Concessions (a part of the Macquarie group and comprising of 9 Indian concessionaires) on raising approx. INR 50,000 million financing from Yes Bank for funding the concession fee for the 1st Toll Operate Transfer concession package in India.
- Advised a syndicate of banks led by Axis Bank in connection with the INR 3,810 million financing of Columbia Asia Global, a global healthcare. company.
- Advising Jyoti Structures Ltd. on the restructuring of its debt through the JLF, SDR and Outside SDR stages.
Key Clients: HSBC, Federal Bank Limited, Profectus Capital
Contacts: Alka Bharucha, Justin Bharucha, Rohit Sharma
Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions:
- Advised General Motors on its asset sale to Tata Consultancy Services Limited.
- Advised Shopsense Retail Technologies Private Limited on its acquisition by Reliance Industrial Investment and Holdings Limited.
- Advised Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited on its acquisition of a majority stake in Linjemontage i Grastrop AB, marking its entry in the Swedish market.
- Advised Vodafone Idea Limited on the divestment of its passive infrastructure assets through the sale of its wholly owned tower subsidiary to the ATC Group for INR 40,000 million and its exit from Indus Towers as part of the proposed merger of Indus Towers and Bharti Infratel.
- Advised Grover Zampa Vineyards on several acquisitions as a consequence of which India’s oldest wine maker is now India’s second largest wine maker by capacity and sales.
Key Clients: The Aditya Birla Group, General Motors, Twitter, Inc.
Contacts: Alka Bharucha, Justin Bharucha
- Represented ITC Limited on its dispute with Hotel Leelaventure Limited before various fora.
- Represented Gautam Thapar on their dispute with CG Power and Industrial Solutions Limited before various fora.
- Represented Prysmian Cavi e Sistemi in proceedings to enforce an LCIA award before the High Court Mumbai.
- Representing Godrej Group of Companies in diverse disputes relating to realty development, consumer matters, EPF claims, and employee disputes.
- Representing Dai-Ichi Karkaria Ltd. in domestic corporate litigation and arbitrations including against ONGC.
Key Clients: ITC Limited, Diageo Plc, Dai-Ichi Karkaria Ltd,
Contacts: MP Bharucha, Sneha Jaisingh
- Advised General Atlantic on multiple investments including in Rubicon Research Private Limited, Absolute Barbeque Private Limited, Capital Foods India Private Limited, IIFL Wealth Limited, Indiaideas.com and Nobroker Technologies.
- Advised Macquarie Advising Macquarie Infrastructure & Real Assets on multiple investments, including its successful bid for the 1st Toll Operate Transfer Bundle of 9 road projects.
- Advised Global Innovation Fund (a social innovation investor) on its investment in EM3 AgriServices Limited.
- Advised Vedantu Innovations Private Limited on the investment by Tiger Global, Accel, Omidyar, TAL Education Group, WestBridge and others.
- Advised Girnar Software Private Limited on several series of fund raising, including from Sequoia Hillhouse, Google and HDFC Bank.
Key Clients: General Atlantic, Apollo Global, Ivanhoé Cambridge
Contacts: Vandana Pai
Capital Markets & Securities Law:
- Advised the issuer and the underwriters in the initial public offering by specialty chemicals manufacturer Neogen Chemicals Limited.
- Representing W.S. Industries (India) Limited in an appeal before the Securities Appellate Tribunal against orders passed by India’s primary stock exchanges.
- Advised Apollo Global on the delisting of Non-Convertible Debentures.
- Advised Inga Advisors Private Limited in its capacity as lead manager in respect of the initial public offer of equity shares by Bharat Road Network Limited for an amount aggregating INR 6,006.50 million.
- Represented B. Ramalinga Raju and B. Rama Raju in the appeal preferred by them before the Securities Appellate Tribunal in the matter of Satyam Computer Services.
Key Clients: Inga Advisors, ICICI Securities, Jyoti Structures Limited
Contacts: Vishnu Dutt, Ajai Achuthan
Governance, Ethics & Anti-Corruption:
- Represented Shivinder Mohan Singh (erstwhile promoter of Religare Enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited) for the alleged misappropriation of funds amounting to Rs. 2,400 crores before various fora.
- Advised Tata Communication with respect to criminal litigation and employment contracts.
- Represented Telenor before the Delhi High Court in an appeal against acquittal in the 2G spectrum case after successfully defending them in the trial before the CBI Special Court at New Delhi.
- Represented Ashok Daga in multiple for a in relation to the ‘coal block allocation scam’.
- Represented clients before the Delhi High Court in an appeal against conviction with respect to coal block allocations.
Key Clients: Telenor, Ashok Daga, DHFL
Contacts: DP Singh, Sonam Gupta
TMT & Intellectual Property:
- Advised and represented Vodafone Idea Ltd in matters before the Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal, the Cyber Appellate Tribunal, the Bombay High Court and the before the Assessing Officer under the Income Tax Act in Maharashtra.
- Advised and represented Sony Pictures Network India before various for a, including, in relation to a writ petition filed against the order of Competition Commission of India before the Bombay High Court.
- Advised Samsung India Electronics Private Limited, One97 Communication, CVC Capital, Flipkart Internet Private Limited and Sprandi International on intellectual property matters.
- Advised India Sports Flashes Private Limited on raising USD 1 million from Sri Capital, a fund operated by Sasi P. Reddy.
- Advised Satyacheck Technologies on setting investigations.
Key Clients: Sony Pictures Network India, Vodafone Idea Limited, Flipkart Internet Private Limited,
Contacts: Kaushik Moitra, Karthik Somasundram
Sector experience –
- Banks & NBFCs;
- Defence & Aerospace;
- Energy (Conventional & Renewable);
- Food & Beverages (including Water);
- Media & Entertainment;
- Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Life Sciences & Healthcare;
- Ports & Logistics;
- Private Clients;
- Start-ups and Technology;
- Telecommunications; and
- Trade (Wholesale & Retail).
Cecil Court, 4th Floor, M. K. Bhushan Marg
Colaba, Mumbai 400 039. India
T. +91 22 2289 9300 F. +91 22 2282 3900
Equity Mansion, R-1, Nehru Enclave
New Delhi 110 019. India
T. +91 11 4593 9300 F. +91 11 4593 9399
WeWork Galaxy, 43, Residency Road
Ashok Nagar, Bengaluru 560 025. India
T. +91 80 4614 2724 F. +91 80 4614 2725
|MP Bharuchafirstname.lastname@example.org||+91 22 2289 9300|
|Alka Bharuchaemail@example.com||+91 22 6132 3900|
|DP Singhfirstname.lastname@example.org||+91 11 4593 9300|
|Justin Bharuchaemail@example.com||+91 22 2289 9300|
|Vandana Paifirstname.lastname@example.org||+91 22 2289 9300|