Tiruchelvam Associates > Colombo, Sri Lanka > Firm Profile
Tiruchelvam Associates Offices
116/10 ROSMEAD PLACE
Tiruchelvam Associates > The Legal 500 RankingsTiruchelvam Associates provides specialist knowledge to both regional and international clients, supporting on an array of corporate structuring, foreign direct investment and M&A mandates; the team assists in several sectors such as energy, healthcare and infrastructure development and is led by Asanka Abeysekera, a lawyer well-versed in real estate alongside corporate mandates who is particularly reputed for her knowledge in cross-border transactions and investments in immovable property. Alongside Abeysekera, Laila Nasry co-leads the group, overseeing a wealth of corporate transactions. At the more junior level, senior associate Nirosha Peiris offers the team extensive knowledge in corporate governance matters alongside expertise in regulatory matters, most notably foreign exchange law.
Asanka Abeysekera; Laila Nasry
Other key lawyers:
‘It was very easy to discuss matters and business.’
‘Nirosha Peiris was very open and direct about everything and at the same time, very calm and polite.’
‘Great to work with, an in depth understanding of the reality of working in Sri Lanka and is able to offer timely, sensible, and real world advice.’
‘In our organisation’s experience, Tiruchelvam Associates comes with a remarkable depth of knowledge and experience not just in the legal field, but also it its understanding of various aspects of administration, banking and governance in Sri Lanka. This makes them an ideal firm to engage with.’
‘The team has a wide network cast across the country and globally which enhances the quality of their work.’
‘The team has expertise and experience to provide advice that is credible and we depend on this service.’
‘The personalised service is much appreciated’.
Galadari Hotels (Lanka) PLC
Galadari Brothers LLC
Takeda Group of Companies
Global Payments Asia-Pacific Limited/ Global Payments Inc.
Novo Nordisk A/S
Heineken Lanka Limited
Cisco Systems Management B.V.
Applexus Technologies Inc.
Dahnay Logistics Private Limited
Fujiwara Co. Ltd
Fujisun (Pvt) Ltd
Pidilite Industries Limited
- Advised a Chinese SOE on its proposed acquisition of a majority stake in Sri Lanka’s first local automobile manufacturing/assembling company.
- Advised freight forwarder Dhanay Logistics in the share restructure of the Sri Lankan entity and amendments to the joint venture agreement.
- Represented a Client at the Department of Foreign Exchange to regularise its (approx) USD 1 million foreign equity investment in the Company.
‘A team with required expertise, experience and knowledge to attend to matters in a timely and efficient manner.’
‘Personalised service and their ability to understand and gather information on our field of work to ensure compliance requirements being met.’
Hoist Support S L (Private) Ltd
Mitsui & Co Ltd
Eutech Cybernetic Lanka (Pvt) Ltd
Himal South Asian
Women’s Fund Asia
Microchannel (Private) Ltd
PWC Sri Lanka
Deloitte Sri Lanka
Global Payments Asia Pacific (Pvt) Ltd
- Advised ING N.V on implementing an LTI scheme in Sri Lanka, by proposing creative and alternative solutions to ensure that the severe shortage of foreign currency did not impact the participation of employees of its Sri Lankan subsidiary.
- Advised Hoist Support S L (Private) Limited on structuring the pegging of LKR salaries to foreign currency to manage the inflation and reduce its impact on clients’ employees.
- Advising a foreign government on engaging Sri Lankan educators to provide services via an online learning platform.
Other key lawyers:
‘The knowledge they possess about the subject matter is extra ordinary.’
‘Laila Nasry has the best knowledge in regards to power and energy projects.’
Blueleaf Energy Asia Pte Ltd
Kazanci Holdings A.S.
Healy Consultants Group PLC representing TSK Electronica Y Electricidad S.A. (investor)
Takeda Group of Companies
Galadari Hotels Lanka PLC
- Advised Blueleaf Energy Asia Pte Ltd on the design, build, install, operate and transfer of a solar PV system on a local factory rooftop of a multinational brewery.
- Advised the Kazanci Holdings A.S. on its bid pertaining to the second 300 MW LNG combined cycle power plant at Kerawalapitiya.
- Advised Galadari Hotels Lanka PLC on contractual and financing matters and corresponding documents in relation to the hotel’s renovation and refurbishment project.
‘Asanka Abeyesekera has been extremely helpful in explaining the legalities and options available to me so I could make well informed decisions.’
‘Tiruchelvam Associates carried out the registration of my condominium apartment, on my behalf. This was handled in a professional and competent manner within the tight deadline set by the colombo municipality.’
‘Very professional team with extensive knowledge in their own area of work, they are focused on what they do and display maturity and accountability.’
‘The team has been responsive to email, clear in their instructions and able to be flexible.’
‘They have provided excellent service to us, despite us being overseas.’
‘Asanka Abeysekara has given us considered, helpful and timely advice.’
Ramesh De Silva
Dr. Shriyani Maine
Susanne Loos Jayawickreme
Premilla Chinnappa Quinn
- Assisted a client who resides abroad as an attorney on selling her condominium parcel.
- Represented a client in a resurvey plan enabling them to sell their property in Sri Lanka, advising that a caveat be registered at the relevant land registry as a precautionary measure.
- Advised a client on registration issues concerning the ownership of a property listed in a family will.
Sri Lanka > Tax Tier 2Tiruchelvam Associates is recommened for acting on an array of tax-related issues, specifically regarding permanent establishments, transfer pricing and the impact of tax reform proposals. The practice dovetails effectively with the firm’s real estate and corporate departments. Ramani Muttettuwegama is they key name to consider.
Room to Read
- Advised one of the India’s leading food & beverages groups on transfer pricing rules.
- Advised Room to Read, a global literacy promotion group, on NGO taxes in Sri Lanka.
- Advised several investors on Permanent Establishment rules.
Other key lawyers:
Shearman & Sterling
De Heng Law Consultants
Anjjie Law Firm
- Advised a global leader in business and financial data, news and insight and a company in e-commerce on an expansion of products offered on its platform.
- Advised several multinationals on payment procedures for Sri Lankans’ participation in proposed employee stock options plans ad obtained special clearances from the Department of Foreign Exchange.
- Advised a debt restructuring group on legal issues to be managed in capital debt restructuring in Sri Lanka.
Laila Nasry; Ayendra Wickremesekera
‘They always research about the subject matter thoroughly and provide you solid information. This sets concrete foundation to a successful journey with them.’
‘Laila Nasry makes sure the client completely understand the situation before we step into the next phase.’
‘The knowledge they possess and the professionalism they bring is outstanding.’
‘You are never confused with them. You hardly have to change the documents they provide you.’
Pathuma Fariel Ali
FujiSun (Pvt) Ltd
Srikantha Motors Lanka (Pvt) Ltd
- Represented a client in her late husband’s testamentary action in order to prove the joint last will and to distribute the properties accordingly.
- Advised and assisted a client taking legal action against his tenant who has defaulted in rent payments and regaining possession of the property.
- Represented FujiSun (Pvt) Ltd in making a successful application under the Right to Information Act and obtained relevant information from a government corporation.
Ramani Muttettuwegama; Michael Paiva
Other key lawyers:
Thuwaraka Ganeshan; Adheeba Ilyas; Allister Abeywardena
‘The firm has been very responsive since the start and handles our matter promptly and professionally. They provide practical solutions and keep us updated on the progress of the matter.’
‘Allister Abeywardena has been helping us to resolve the issues efficiently and practically. He always uses his best endeavour to find solutions and even during the Covid-19 lockdown period in Sri Lanka, he would use all means to reach out to the governmental authorities in order to get our matter to move forward at the soonest possible.’
‘Responsive and helpful. Despite the difficulties facing their country at the moment, they take care to update clients and keep matters running, as a testament to their resilience and business continuity.’
‘Michael Paiva is knowledgeable and responsive, a steady pair of hands we can count on.’
Unitalen Attorneys at Law
Shailendra Thatte & Associates
SCG Legal Counsel Ltd
Withers Khattarwong LLP
Remfry & Sagar
Guangzhou Zhuanli IP Law Firm
Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
C. S. Tang & Co. Advocates & solicitors
JK Marcam LLP
Mohamed Idris & Bros
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius
Studio Bonini SRL
APIA Proprietate Industriala
ANUATION Research and Consulting LLP
Barnes & Thornburg LLP
ATMD Bird & Bird LLP
Maha Chemicals (Asia) Pte Ltd
Sarvodaya SEEDS Limited
CDM International (Private) Ltd
Sarvasaara Agro Research and Technology Center Limited
Emirates Patent & Trade Mark Attorneys & Legal Consultants
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
Jin Wang Cheng International Intellectual Property (Beijing) Co Ltd
Mega Trend Lanka
Berenguer & Pomares Abogados
Dhairya Shah & Associates (DSA)
- Advised one of the world’s largest multinational fast food chains on the restructuring of the IP licensing agreement with Sri Lankan franchisee.
- Advised a world renowned beverage company on managing its Sri Lankan franchise operations.
- Advised the client on the managing and transfer of IP in a microbiological research project.
Tiruchelvam Associates > Firm Profile
The firm: Tiruchelvam Associates was established in 1982, by Dr Neelan Tiruchelvam PC and Sithie Tiruchelvam. It developed from the chambers of former senator, minister and solicitor-general of Sri Lanka, M Tiruchelvam KC. Dr Neelan Tiruchelvam was a scholar, an internationally recognised constitutional lawyer, a member of parliament and a visiting professor at Harvard Law. Dr Tiruchelvam’s constitution making skills were renowned, and he assisted in the drafting of several constitutions of Central Asian countries and also post-conflict Ethiopia.
Since 1999, Sithie Tiruchelvam has led the firm as precedent partner. Her expertise includes representing foreign and domestic multinationals in corporate and commercial transactions. She served on the board of John Keels Holdings, one of three blue chip companies in Sri Lanka as a non-executive director and has played a pivotal role in some of Sri Lanka’s most ground-breaking investment ventures. Sithie was renowned for her contributions to the field of human rights and has served on the boards of several non-profit organisations.
The firm is now led by three partners, Asanka Abeyesekera, Ramani Muttettuwegama and Laila Nasry.
Asanka heads the corporate affairs and real estate divisions of the firm. Her expertise in investment law stems from her initial work with Sri Lanka’s first investment regulator (the Greater Colombo Economic Commission, the Board of Investment’s predecessor). Coupled with her experience as vice president – legal for the Vanik group, at that time Sri Lanka’s premier investment banking group.
Ramani is the managing partner of the firm. Specialising in IT and telecom law, she also supervises the employment, immigration and intellectual property divisions of the firm. Her extensive background in human rights makes her a skilled negotiator and she is TA’s key representative with regulators.
Laila leads the litigation and arbitration practice of the firm and also manages much of the mergers and acquisition work of the firm including commercial contracts. She joined the firm after managing a considerable portfolio at the Attorney General’s department of Sri Lanka and is an expert on laws and regulations on energy and natural resources, often requested for expert legal advice by Sri Lanka’s leading energy experts. Laila’s work with the AG’s department has given her much expertise on infrastructure and development related projects and she advises on multi faceted projects. Laila, also advises many of the firm’s clients engaged in the global healthcare and pharmaceutical industry.
Areas of practice: The firm provides a broad spectrum of services which range from corporate and commercial practice encompassing advisory services, intellectual property, real estate and conveyancing, litigation and alternative dispute resolution. The firm’s corporate secretarial arm, Central Corporate and Consultancy Services (Private) Limited, provides services to corporate clients in all stages of their business life, from incorporation to liquidation. The firm frequently counsels multinational investors and corporate clients both local and foreign in a variety of industries and businesses, including but not limited to, the banking and finance sector, power and energy, telecommunications, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, information technology, tourism, immigration, intellectual property, taxation and infrastructure development.
|Corporate/M&A||Ramani Muttettuwegamaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Corporate/M&A||Laila Nasryfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Corporate Finance & Banking||Ramani Muttettuwegamaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Corporate Finance & Banking||Asanka Abeysekerafirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Power & Energy||Laila Nasryemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Telecommunications & ICT||Ramani Muttettuwegamafirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Corporate Secreterial||Asanka Abeysekeraemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Corporate Secreterial||Nirosha Peirisfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Corporate Secreterial||Heshika Rupasingheemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Real Estate & Conveyancing||Asanka Abeysekerafirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Real Estate & Conveyancing||Volya Siriwardanaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Litigation and ADR||Laila Nasryfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Litigation and ADR||Ayendra Wickremesekeraemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Litigation and ADR||Abirami Nithiananthanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Intellectual Property||Michael Paivaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Intellectual Property||Thuwaraka Ganeshanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Immigration||Ramani Muttettuwegamaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Immigration||Michael Paivafirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Taxation||Ramani Muttettuwegamaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Taxation||Abirami Nithiananthanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Employment& Labour||Ramani Muttettuwegamaemail@example.com||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|
|Employment & Labour||Thuwaraka Ganeshanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+94-11-2690037, 2698110, 2686019|