Charles Russell Speechlys LLP > Manama, Bahrain > Firm Profile
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP Offices
Floor 24 Bahrain World Trade Centre
East Tower, Isa Al Kabeer Avenue
Kingdom of Bahrain
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Press Releases
- Comparative Guides
- Legal Briefings
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsCharles Russell Speechlys LLP, the corporate and commercial team excels in undertaking work connected with the telecoms, media and entertainment sectors, including M&A and commercial contracts. The practice is jointly led by Dubai-based practitioners Mark Hill (who also manages the firms IP and TMT practice in the Middle East) and William Reichert . In the Manama office, Jonathan Fisher advises on reorganisations, management buyouts and shareholders agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive with a good understanding of the commercial drivers. Good practice advice.’
Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard Company (ASRY)
Ahlan Technologies SPC
Saudi Arabian Baytur Construction Co
DANAT – Bahrain Institute for Pearls & Gemstones
Nadeen School W.L.L.
- Assisted Arab Shipbuilding and Repair Yard Company (ASRY) with preparing a joint venture shareholders’ agreement and various other documentation in connection with a large-scale joint venture entity which will operate in the oil and gas sector in the GCC.
- Assisted Ahlan Technologies SPC with preparing a suite of commercial, IP and data protection documentation in connection with the roll-out of an e-commerce solution for food ordering and deliveries from restaurant outlets throughout Bahrain.
- Assisted DXC Technology with drafting a share transfer agreement, as well as various board resolutions and other ancillary documentation that needed to be filed with MOICT to reflect the transfer of shares.
Bahrain > Dispute resolution Tier 1Charles Russell Speechlys LLP has a well-established litigation practice with core strengths in cross-border matters concerning banking and finance, real estate and construction, aviation and telecommunications. Patrick Gearon is the overall head of the dispute resolution practice in the Middle East. He works with Paula Boast, who heads up the construction group and is active in related disputes. Other names to note at the firm are Thanos Karvelis, who has over 20 years of litigation and arbitration experience, and Gareth Mills. The team has seen an increase in instructions from the aviation sector, including from leading clients such as Etihad Airways.
Patrick Gearon; Paula Boast
‘The CRS dispute resolution is the go-to practice in Bahrain. They are extremely well versed on Bahraini legal matters and have unrivalled experience in the market. There is no other firm to go to in Bahrain.’
‘Gareth Mills is a stand out lawyer in Bahrain. Intelligent, quick and a focused problem solver. He is very good with his clients – personable, engaging and interesting. He has been very collaborative on matters we have worked together on.’
‘Personal contact is by far the most unique practice that we appreciate from CRS. Advice is often given FOC and there is no 9 to 5 approach, which often suits the local Bahraini clients. Value the trust and openness.’
‘Patrick Gearon. Always available, very quick and very knowledgeable. Nothing is too much trouble.’
‘Proactive and very commercial in their approach. Partner led interaction and partners always available to deal with matters.’
Central Bank of Bahrain
Gulf Air B.S.C. (c)
The Estate of Behrooz Toorani
The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority Bahrain
Alaa Industrial Equipment Factory Co
WS Atkins & Partners Overseas and WS Atkins International Limited (“Atkins”)
Energy Central Company (“Energy Central”)
Arabian International Contractors
Diyar Al Muharraq WLL
Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited
Cebarco Bahrain W.L.L.
NASS Contracting Co W.L.L.
NASS Industrial Services
- Appointed by the CBB as External Administrator of Awal Bank B.S.C. (in administration) in 2009 and, in this capacity, advise on the region’s largest administration involving multibillion dollar claims and assets across a number of jurisdictions (including Bahrain, UK, Switzerland, USA, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Cayman Islands).
- Acted for investment bank client Bahrain Middle East Bank B.S.C. in a highly complex arbitration case against another investment bank known as Venture Capital Bank B.S.C. (C).
- Advising a Chinese/Saudi/Bahraini consortium in relation to the design, construction and operation of an IWPP independent water and power plant in the Kingdom of Bahrain including ongoing contract administration, construction phase advisory and claims/ dispute services.
‘The team is very responsive and has great industry knowledge. You feel like they are working with others that have the same issues as you and have encountered your concerns before, which is very comforting.’
‘Paula and Jodie on the construction side are a great team and have great industry knowledge. They always provide commercially-minded advice.’
‘Reem is very responsive and has very relevant experience with real estate and hotels.’
Esterad Amwaj Co W.L.L
Bahrain Marina Development Company
Bin Faqeeh Real Estate Investment Company W.L.L
Eagle Hills Diyar Company W.L.L
Diyar Al Muharraq W.L.L
Ministry of Tourism (Oman)
Town Center Real Estate Development W.L.L
NASS Contracting Co W.L.L.
NASS Industrial Services
Al Sahel Resort
Haya Power & Desalination Company
Cebarco Bahrain W.L.L.
Eagle Hills International Properties LLC
Nadeen School W.L.L
Bahrain Real Estate Investment Company (Edamah)
Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company
Sevens Holding S.P.C.
- Advising a Chinese/ Saudi/ Bahraini consortium in relation to the design, construction and operation of an IWPP independent water and power plant in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Advised various clients on some of the most iconic new and existing hotels located in the Middle East, Africa, UK, Europe and the Caribbean, including the iconic AlBustan Palace Ritz Carlton Resort in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Engaged by Esterad following its acquisition of the long-stalled major Amwaj Gateway project in Bahrain. Esterad acquired the project at auction in June 2019 for $39m.
Simon Green; Paula Boast; Thanos Karvelis
‘The CRS team is very knowledgeable in relation to major events/projects and this is where we are able to obtain the most value from CRS. The team members are very personable and always on hand when required. We rely on the team to provide support on projects and ad hoc matters.’
Energy City Qatar
GEK Terna Group
Madina Group WLL
Manateq Economic Zones Company QSC (Manateq)
Nixon Hire Middle East (Transport)
- Advising a Qatari contractor in respect of claims made by a subcontractor in an ICC arbitration amounting to $24m, excluding counterclaims which amount to approximately $20m.
- Developed a standalone UK residential property and projects investment practice whereby we advise purchasers/property investors and project clients based in Qatar inward to the UK.
- Represented an international contractor in an ICC arbitration relation to a claim brought against it by a sub-contractor which arose out of the development of a world-renowned international airport.
‘Patrick Gearon – Knowledgeable, always available and nothing is too much trouble.‘
‘Quick and very commercial in their approach.‘
‘Rates are flexible depending on business need which is also appreciated.‘
‘My experience working with Peter Smith was unique in the balanced approach he developed and provided.’
‘Peter leveraged his standard pleasant and incisive working style and rapidly developed a depth of knowledge about a difficult (and somewhat unusual) type of matter.’
‘Peter Smith – combination of (a) a very strong generalist base of knowledge and conducive, flexible working style and (b) ability to rapidly pick up and ‘make his own’ the nuances of an unusual matter.’
‘Excellent legal team.’
Millennium Hotels Group
Al Soor Investments LLC
Sari Investments LLC
Al Baraka Investments LLC
IGPL General Trading LLC
Huobi OTC DMCC
FAL Oil Company Limited
Charles Russell Speechlys LLP > Firm Profile
Charles Russell Speechlys is a law firm headquartered in London with 11 offices located in the UK, Europe, the Middle East and Hong Kong. We have an unusually broad range of skills and experience across the full spectrum of business and personal needs. This gives us a wider perspective, clear insight and a strongly commercial long-term view. We use this approach to secure the growth of our clients as they move confidently into the future.
Charles Russell Speechlys has a dedicated Middle East team based in our three offices in Doha, Manama and Dubai. Our work for clients in the region primarily covers the following key areas:
- Corporate / commercial
- Real estate, hotels and hospitality
- Construction, engineering and projects
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Intellectual property
- Private wealth
With a team of bilingual locally and internationally qualified lawyers, we are able to service clients in the region efficiently and understand their local business culture and best practices. All of the partners in our Middle East offices have many years of regional Middle East experience, in Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, and other parts of the Middle East and North Africa.
The Manama office opened in 2006 in response to client demand, and we have since grown to become one of the largest international law firms in the Kingdom. The firm has won Bahrain Law Firm of the Year for two consecutive years in 2018 and 2019.
We are located in the iconic Bahrain World Trade Centre from where we offer advice on corporate and commercial matters, litigation and dispute resolution, real estate and construction, intellectual property and technology, media and telecommunications as well as providing advice to private individuals.
We are strongly committed to Bahrain. Our strategy since the outset has been to develop our business in the Middle East with a combination of Bahraini and International lawyers. We have introduced a unique, innovative programme to train local Bahraini law graduates and help them to dual qualify as English solicitors. To date, we have helped 8 Bahraini qualified lawyers become dual qualified English solicitors and go on to practice in our Bahrain and London offices. We strongly believe that our growth is a product of our programme of having dual qualified, bilingual lawyers that know and understand the culture in which our clients operate.
|Head of Middle East practice, Litigation, Commercial & Dispute Resolution||Patrick Gearon||Patrick.Gearon@crsblaw.com||+973 17 133200|
Staff FiguresFee earners : 10
LanguagesArabic English (fluent)
Press Releases18th January 2022 Charles Russell Speechlys is delighted to welcome a new Family team in Hong Kong, including the hire of Lisa Wong as Partner, as it continues to strengthen its offering in the region.
Class dismissed: the future of group litigation in the UAEOnce the preserve and a staple of US litigation, in recent years class action claims have gained traction in the English courts across a wide variety of sectors. Recent disputes have involved securities and shareholder litigation against financial institutions like RBS and Lloyds/HBOS, claims against large companies such as Tesco, actions arising out of breaches …