Our firm represents leading multinational technology manufacturers, content developers and distributors, digital business operators, telecommunications providers, and other leading companies in cutting edge industries. We help our clients to strategically position, protect, and profit from their valuable intellectual property in diverse markets worldwide, and ensure the clearance and licensing of intellectual property as it relates to film, television, radio, and internet content.
Tilleke & Gibbins > Bangkok, Thailand > Firm Profile
Tilleke & Gibbins Offices
SUPALAI GRAND TOWER, 26 F
1011 RAMA 3 ROAD, CHONGNONSI, YANNAWA
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Press Releases
- Legal Developments
- Comparative Guides
Tilleke & Gibbins > The Legal 500 RankingsTilleke & Gibbins represents domestic and international clients in a range of matters, including customs classifications and valuations, anti-dumping compliance and import and export licensing. The team is jointly led by Michael Ramirez, Kasamesunt Teerasitsathaporn and Kobkit Thienpreecha. Ramirez assists domestic and international clients with customs and excise litigation cases, and Teerasitsathaporn also handles complex customs disputes.
Amec Foster Wheeler (Thailand)
Red Bull GMBH
Tao Kae Noi
- Advised an NYSE-listed manufacturing company for major OEMs on rules of origin application and other customs benefits under the India-Thailand FTA and the ASEAN-India FTA.
- Advised a multinational chemical manufacturing company on anti-dumping, regional value content (RVC) rules, and related customs issues under the China-Thailand FTA.
- Advised an American energy drink manufacturer on registration of an excise tax mark on canned beverages with the Thai Excise Department in order to streamline the excise tax process when importing products into Thailand.
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the best IP firms in Thailand. Immersed in the intricacies of their key client sectors, including life sciences & healthcare, TMT and consumer products, helping them to provide first-class advice and support.’
‘Alan Adcock is a superstar. His understanding of IP in Thailand and across the region is second to none, particularly in the sectors of life sciences and healthcare and consumer products.’
‘Sukontip Jitmongkolthong – excellent IP knowledge, efficient strategy planning and great results.’
‘Darani Vachanavuttivong is an iconic figure in the Thai IP world with a strong personality and is the go-to person for IP. I have been working with her for decades and the services provided by her and the team are par excellence. Alan Adcock is also our go-to person for IP. He is extremely well known and we have been working with him on quite a few transactional cross-border work. The combination of legal and industry knowledge, as well as the ability to strategise, is a strong talent. Also, I would like to mention Somboon Earterasarun who is an excellent lawyer – very supportive and willing to work with the client to achieve the best result. Again his legal knowledge is very good and his understanding of the regulatory practices in Thailand is very useful.’
‘The team provided us with a very robust and comforting legal support.‘
- Representing an American sports footwear and apparel brand in first-of-its-kind trademark litigation attempting to secure protection for a non-traditional mark that is not previously available in Thailand.
- Handling Coupang’s patent portfolios in Thailand and Vietnam.
Amec Foster Wheeler
Syngenta Asia Pacific
United Overseas Bank
Walt Disney (Thailand)
- Assisted the Thai subsidiary of a multinational hotel group in the reduction of staff at its luxury resort in Phuket in response to the loss of business caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Assisted a French-based multinational corporation and owner of several world-renowned luxury fashion brands with labor and employment issues relating to the Thai government’s decision to impose a partial lockdown in Bangkok to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Advised a Chinese multinational technology and e-commerce company on a number of critical employment law issues in Thailand.
Thailand > Tax Tier 1Tilleke & Gibbins’ interdisciplinary tax team advises domestic and international clients on a range of matters, including corporate, customs and excise, and international tax, as well as tax disputes. Kobkit Thienpreecha heads up the practice group and is noted for his work in acting for US clients on local tax matters. Tax consultant Varapa Aurat departed in May 2021.
AI and Robotics Ventures
Summit Capital Leasing
Weiss Asset Management
- Advised a Thai electricity operator on Thai and Myanmar tax in connection with an EPC contract for an electricity and power pipeline construction project in Myanmar.
- Advised a tech company on the tax implications of the proposed launch of various innovative tech-space offerings in the local market.
- Advised the Thai subsidiary of a European multinational online food-delivery service on the classification and tax implications of payments to delivery drivers.
Thailand > TMT Tier 1The ‘well-versed’ team at Tilleke & Gibbins acts for multinational content developers and distributors, digital business operators, technology manufacturers and telecoms providers, and particularly excels in the technology sector, handling cybersecurity and data protection, fintech, IT infrastructure and OTT media matters. Praised for being ‘outstanding in her field’, practice co-leader Athistha Chitranukroh has ‘deep knowledge of PDPA’, while Suebsiri Taweepon is noted for his expertise in handling contentious and non-contentious IP matters. Senior associate Nopparat Lalitkomon focuses on technology, data privacy, cybersecurity and digital work, and counsel Charuwan Charoonchitsathian is active in the telecoms and fintech space.
‘The team is well-versed in the relevant laws and provides high quality advice. They are responsive and good to work with.’
‘Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh is outstanding in her field and is always approachable and helpful.’
‘The team excels in their expertise, and can give accurate and precise advice.’
‘Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh has deep knowledge of PDPA. Although this is new to Thailand, she can advise and answer questions clearly.’
‘The team is great. They clearly know this area and are able to benchmark what other companies are doing.’
‘Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh is a key member of T&G’s TMT practice and my go-to lawyer for anything TMT and data-related in Thailand.’
AI and Robotics Ventures
- Retained by AI and Robotics Ventures (ARV) to advise on joint ventures, M&As, business collaborations, regulatory regimes applicable to innovative AI and robotics offerings, IP protection and commercialisation, and tax considerations and planning.
- Advised a diversified entertainment company on its proposed launch of a subscription video on demand (SVOD) platform in Thailand.
- Advised one of the world’s largest e-commerce and technology companies on local requirements for direct marketing in Thailand and the planned launch of a comprehensive demand-side platform (DSP) for Thai vendors interested in advertising their products.
Thailand > Capital markets Tier 2Tilleke & Gibbins acts for local, regional and international clients on a range of capital markets transactions, including securities regulatory matters, derivatives and financial restructurings. Director of the firm’s corporate and commercial group, Kobkit Thienpreecha, co-leads the team and is noted for his expertise in investment funds and IPO’s. Banking and finance specialist Santhapat Periera acts for investment funds, asset management companies, and financial institutions, and advises on all forms of financial instruments.
‘The team has been able to provide sound and practical advice on cross-border issues.’
‘Tilleke & Gibbins have been a sound and reliable counsel for us on Thailand-related regulatory matters. Their advice is generally well-reasoned and informed and they articulate the risks and reasons for their advice.’
Bain Capital Private Equity
Chuwit Farm Co., Ltd.
First State Investments
INDEX International Group PCL
Merian Global Investors
Weiss Asset Management
- Assisted INDEX International group PCL with a range of matters related to the proposed listing and IPO on the Thailand’s Market for Alternative Investments (MAI).
- Acting as Thai and Cambodian legal counsel to a client on its secondary/dual listing of shares and securities on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET).
- Retained to advise an asset manager on a range of complex regulatory matters related to securities and derivatives trading in the Thai capital markets.
Thailand > Corporate and M&A Tier 2Tilleke & Gibbins is praised for its ‘strong presence and experience in the M&A field, both domestically and regionally’. The team acts for clients across various industries, including the automotive, energy, life sciences, insurance and technology sectors. Charunun Sathitsuksomboon, Cynthia M. Pornavalai, Athistha Chitranukroh and Kobkit Thienpreecha jointly head up the practice group. Sathitsuksomboon is ‘experienced and responsive in M&A transactions’, and Chitranukroh is particularly experienced in acting for clients in the insurance and technology sectors.
‘Very solutions-oriented team. Able to replicate investment structures in the context of Thai corporate laws, which are a minefield to navigate.’
‘Charunun Sathitsuksomboon is experienced and responsive in M&A transactions.’
‘Tilleke & Gibbins is strong in M&A practice. It has for decades demonstrated its strong presence and experience in this field both for domestic M&A as well as in the Southeast Asia region, including in Indonesia. The firm has partners and associates of excellence and in-depth experience in the M&A field in various industries.’
AI and Robotics Ventures
GM Motors Thailand
Marsh & McLennan Group
Oils ‘R Us
- Advised Volvo Group on the Thai elements of its global strategic alliance with Isuzu Motors within their commercial vehicles divisions, which included Isuzu Motor’s JPY 243bn acquisition of Volvo Group’s UD Trucks.
- Assisted General Motors with the $143.4m sale of two manufacturing plants in Rayong, Thailand, to Great Wall Motors of China, following the winding down of much of General Motors’ operations in Thailand.
- Acted for Oils ‘R Us, a lubricant trading company in Thailand and the local authorised distributor of ExxonMobil’s lubricant products, as seller in the THB 250m acquisition of the client’s business assets by Brenntag.
‘An excellent firm with deep connections in Thailand and the region, and able to deliver commercial solutions that reflect the realities on the ground.’
‘Well-positioned to deal with domestic litigation in Thailand, and a well reputed firm that delivers high quality advice and support.’
‘Thawat Damsa-ard and Michael Ramirez are both highly responsive, articulate, and strong advocates. They are a first port of call for any work in region and lead a fantastic team.’
- Represented Lonsin Capital in a THB 688m cross-border dispute over the legality of dividend payments paid to Lonsin Capital and other bondholders from a Thai publicly listed real estate developer.
- Represented Stryker Corporation in a complex contractual dispute valued at THB 46.65m pertaining to the termination of an agreement with a Thai distributor.
Thailand > Insurance Tier 2The insurance practice at Tilleke & Gibbins acts for domestic and international insurers and reinsurers in a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, from insurance claims and disputes to insurtech implementations, an area in which the practice is particularly noted for its expertise. The team is led by Athistha Chitranukroh, who is praised for having ‘deep knowledge of the insurance industry’ and has experience in handling insurtech matters. Noppramart Thammateeradaycho and Eric Meyer are also key contacts and assist insurers and reinsurers in disputes.
‘Ms. Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh is the lead partner and has been very responsive, with deep knowledge of the insurance industry. She also acts as the focal point for our contact with local parties, including the regulator.’
‘Noppramart Thammateeradaycho is probably the leading local Thai lawyer in the insurance field and the point of contact for T&G advice for other jurisdictions in which they have a presence such as Myanmar. While there are lawyers doing insurance work at other, mainly international, firms in Thailand, none of them are qualified to advise on local law with the same level of expertise as Nop.‘
Marsh & McLennan Group
Thai Life Assurance Association and the Thai General Insurance Association
Tokio Marine Life
- Provided global insurance companies with PDPA Readiness & Gap Analysis Programs to prepare clients for compliance with Thailand’s new PDPA.
- Acting as the preferred Indochina regional counsel for the broking and risk management (Marsh) and risk and reinsurance intermediary (Guy Carpenter) arms of the Marsh & McLennan Group, advising on a full range of legal matters in Southeast Asia.
- Retained to advise AIG Group in Thailand on a full range of contentious and non-contentious matters related to their business operations in Thailand.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tanadee Pantumkomon has given very professional helpful advice.‘
‘Supasit Boonsanong has worked for us a very long time and fully understands our business with all legal and contractual issues.‘
Wood Plc/Amec Foster Wheeler
KPS Capital Partners
Petroleum Institute of Thailand
PTT Group Companies
Thai Ministry of Energy, Department of Mineral Fuels
United Power of Asia Public Company Limited
- Represented a consortium member in bidding for the Map Ta Phut Industrial Port Phase 3 Development Project, part of the first mega infrastructure development project in the flagship Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) scheme in Thailand.
- Advised an asset management firm in a project to build, own, and operate a desalination project, as part of a public-private procurement project in southern Thailand.
- Engaged to advise a major Chinese construction company on various elements of the Bangkok–Nong Khai high-speed railway project, the first high-speed rail line in Thailand.
Other key lawyers:
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company
General Motors Thailand and General Motors Powertrain
- Assisted General Motors with several matters related to its decision to wind down much of their operations in Thailand, including the reduction of $425m in registered capital.
- Advising an American multinational financial services corporation on several matters related to Thai Airways’ insolvency and business rehabilitation petition, including assisting with the preparation and submission of a debt repayment application that was granted by the official receiver.
- Acting for a petrochemicals manufacturer to handle the Thailand portion of its global share restructuring project, which included the transfer of its subsidiary business in Thailand.
Thailand > Transport Tier 2Tilleke & Gibbins’ cross-disciplinary aviation team acts for airlines, aircrafts, leasing companies, financiers and insurers on aircraft transactions, disputes and financing matters. Aviation expert John Frangos leads the practice alongside Santhapat Periera, who assists aviation industry clients and financiers in acquisitions, structuring, financing and lease arrangements in Thailand and across the Asia Pacific region. Noppramart Thammateeradaycho leads the shipping team and is noted for her expertise in handling transportation disputes and maritime insurance claims.
Other key lawyers:
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company
Japan Transport Engineering Company
Pacific Air Holdings
Seafarers’ Rights International
- Retained to represent a designer and manufacturer of high-tech military aircraft in entering into defence contracts with the Royal Thai Airforce.
- Represented Carlyle Aviation, an aviation operating and leasing company, in claiming several million USD in damages as a result of breached aircraft lease agreements on three leased Boeing 737-800 aircraft.
- Representing a number of international creditors to protect their interests during the restructuring of Thailand’s national flag carrier, Thai Airways.
Brown Brothers Harriman
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
China Development Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
- Advised a state-owned Thai banking institution on its THB 40bn COVID-related personal loan program.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based banking and financial services company on matters related to the provision of a HKD 1.5bn facility agreement for a real estate project in Bangkok.
- Advised an international bank on amendments and waivers made to a senior facilities agreement and security documents for a £25m loan.
- Represented Insultech in multi-jurisdictional arbitration following a dispute over allegations of defective insulation equipment supplied to the Ichthys LNG project in Darwin, Australia.
- Represented the Thai subsidiary of a multinational real estate development/investment and property management conglomerate in a construction-related arbitration before the Thai Arbitration Institute (TAI) against a design and construction contractor.
- Acted for an Indonesian mining services company in the enforcement of a $3.5m international arbitral award against a Thai counter-party in relation to the sale and purchase of coal.
The cross-practice property team at Tilleke & Gibbins acts for domestic and multinational clients, particularly in the manufacturing and hospitality industry sectors, on real estate development matters. Cynthia M. Pornavalai, who advises investment firms, developers and manufacturers on real estate transactions, heads up with practice alongside Chaiwat Keratisuthisathorn, who is noted for his expertise in property acquisitions, lease agreements and development agreements.
Ananda Development PCL
CMA CGM Depot Services (Thailand) Limited
JC Kelvin Development
Precious Dragon Technology (Thai) Limited
Scania Siam Co., Ltd.
- Advised an American manufacturer of advanced electronic components on its THB 220.3m land acquisition, and THB 4bn construction contract for a mega-factory in Thailand.
- Assisted a Thailand-based manufacturer in its THB 400m acquisition of two plots of land in Pathum Thani, Thailand.
- Represented a Thai information and communications technology (ICT) provider in a critical environmental and public health dispute at the local administrative court in relation to the construction of a high performance submarine internet cable.
Other key lawyers:
Marsh & McLennan Group
- Advising the Marsh & McLennan Group on a full range of legal matters in Southeast Asia.
- Advising a Chineses electronics company on regulatory compliance and licensing concerns of its planned smart phone extended warranty services in Thailand and Vietnam.
- Advised a French insurance company, on distributing insurance and reinsurance contracts in relation to weather index-based insurance, a new product in Vietnam.
Tilleke & Gibbins > Firm Profile
Since 1890, Tilleke & Gibbins’ head office has been located in Bangkok, Thailand’s capital and a regional center of commerce. From our offices in Bangkok, we serve the drivers of the regional economy, from regional operating headquarters to manufacturing conglomerates to new entrants in the Southeast Asian market.
Our Bangkok office offers unparalleled legal representation in the areas of commercial transactions and M&A, corporate services, dispute resolution and litigation, and intellectual property. We are also recognized by independent third parties for excellence in the fields of tax, regulatory affairs, transportation and logistics, technology, and banking and finance.
As a proudly independent regional firm, Tilleke & Gibbins is unique for our dedication to Thailand and Southeast Asia. It’s not just a market, but our home as well. Besides housing one of the best legal libraries in Thailand, our Bangkok office is home to our Museum of Counterfeit Goods, which educates visitors on intellectual property protection and enforcement, and our Textile Collection, which showcases our support for the cultures of the region by bringing together, preserving, and displaying over 2,000 pieces from different regions and ethnic groups in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
Our firm: Tilleke & Gibbins is a leading Southeast Asian regional law firm with over 190 lawyers and consultants practicing in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. We provide full-service legal solutions to the top investors and high-growth companies that drive economic expansion in Asia.
Established in Bangkok in 1890, we have since grown into the largest independent law firm in Thailand and a leading international firm across Southeast Asia due to our commercial focus, local knowledge, and extraordinary service.
Commercial focus: Your long-term success is our utmost priority, and we take the time to learn about your unique corporate culture, operational needs, and commercial goals, to determine how we can best provide value to your organization. From highly technical experience in specific fields, to a deep understanding of your business, our team is committed to providing high-quality legal advice, tailored to meet your unique needs, to best help you succeed.
Local knowledge: You need a local partner to help you navigate emerging markets that can otherwise present unfamiliar challenges. We bring an international perspective, but we have deep roots in each jurisdiction where we practice. We know the local players in your industry, can identify advantageous private partnerships and areas for government collaboration, and act as your gateway through language and cultural barriers.
Extraordinary service: Our team takes pride in providing extraordinary service that exceeds your expectations. When you work with us, you can expect to have a team of collaborative advisors who provide you with clear, practical advice; who are responsive in all our communications; who represent you with integrity; and who apply an innovative approach in everything we do. With clients as extraordinary as ours, we know that nothing short of extraordinary legal services will suffice.
Our practice areas
Aviation: Tilleke & Gibbins’ cross-disciplinary aviation team serves airlines, aircraft lessors and lessees, insurers, banks, air cargo firms, and other aviation-related companies in Southeast Asia, one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets. With our firm’s top-ranked dispute resolution and corporate departments, as well as our multijurisdictional presence, we are well placed to advise clients in aviation matters.
Our practice covers:
- Aircraft leasing disputes and repossessions
- Civil aviation regulations
- Air carrier liability
- Air carrier insurance claims and disputes
- Commercial and labor disputes involving the aviation industry
- Aircraft acquisitions and sales
- Aircraft leasing and financing
Our understanding of the business and regulatory environments in Southeast Asia, as well as our strong relationships, enables us to provide unparalleled breadth of support to clients in the aviation sector. In addition to representing our clients in corporate, commercial, and financing transactions, we regularly represent our clients before civil aviation departments, courts, and arbitration tribunals.
Banking and finance: Through long-term relationships with domestic and international businesses, financial institutions, investors, and regulators, we consistently deliver insight and results to both borrowers and lenders to facilitate the region’s largest projects, groundbreaking real estate transactions, and most ambitious businesses.
Our banking and finance team is trusted by major local and foreign banks, securities brokers and dealers, equity and investment firms, and other financial institutions to assist with their lending activities, market entry, and day-to-day operations in the region. Through our advice on licensing and establishment, regulatory compliance, acquisitions and joint ventures, and every other aspect of operations, we have helped the region’s leading banking institutions thrive in the emerging markets of Southeast Asia.
We are also proud to be a trusted authority on technological solutions in the industry, with our robust technology industry group working with some of the world’s most innovative companies on fintech, cryptocurrency, blockchain, and cybersecurity matters.
Capital markets: We represent global and regional corporations and funds looking to issue equity instruments and debt securities, and we advise underwriters and issuers on crucial matters of disclosure when they prepare to offer securities to the public or to private investors. Our specialists advise on all types of financial instruments (including loans, securities, mutual funds, property funds, bonds, and derivatives), financial workouts and restructuring, and investment in regional assets and capital markets.
We have advised on the listing and secondary listing of hundreds of companies on markets around the world, and are well-equipped to quickly and confidently advise on navigating the regulatory requirements needed to advance your interests in Southeast Asia and beyond. Our extensive experience guiding clients through capital market regulatory frameworks in Southeast Asia and beyond has enabled clients to achieve the cash flow to support their investment goals. Issuers, underwriters, shareholders, originators, trustees, and depositaries all rely on Tilleke & Gibbins to ensure that investments with a Southeast Asian element are sound and secure.
Competition and trade: Tilleke & Gibbins provides real-world advice on antitrust and competition laws, including merger control and notifications, price-fixing, abuse of dominance, cooperation among competitors, antidumping, and countervailing duties. We understand the realities of business development in Southeast Asia and can help you create effective and compliant action plans for market entry and expansion.
Our regional trade practice is rooted in a deep understanding of the cross-border movement of goods and capital in Southeast Asia, and our dynamic practice represents clients in such diverse fields as life sciences, consumer products, financial services, technology, raw materials, and logistics. We advise on every aspect of trade, including valuations and customs investigations and compliance, origin and exporter verification, movement of hazardous materials, logistics and warehousing, import/export controls, and international treaty frameworks.
Compliance and investigations: Tilleke & Gibbins offers a wide array of specialist legal, regulatory, and practical advice on government and internal investigations, white-collar defense, compliance, and anti-corruption matters, tailored for local jurisdictions. Our multi-jurisdictional team can assist you seamlessly across borders with a deep knowledge of local business practices and cultures.
Our investigation and compliance practice includes:
- Internal corporate investigations
- Advising clients on criminal and regulatory investigations
- Advising clients on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the U.K. Bribery Act
- Providing insight into local anti-corruption laws, regulatory regimes, and business culture
- Designing, advising, and implementing compliance programs
- Anti-corruption due diligence on agents, partners, and M&A targets
- Anti-corruption risk assessments and audits
Consumer products: The consumer products team at Tilleke & Gibbins will partner with you across all stages of commercializing your product in Southeast Asia.
At the concept and design stage, we help protect your innovation through patent and trademark services, and pave the way for market entry and product launches through market surveys and commercialization services.
At the realization stage, we work with you to secure favorable manufacturing and warehousing deals, enter into joint ventures with trusted local partners, and navigate the regulatory and labelling regimes to ensure that your products are compliant and profitable. When manufacturing is underway, we advise on labor and employment matters on an ongoing basis, and on the vital licensing, distribution, and franchising agreements to get your products to market worldwide.
Corporate/M&A: Tilleke & Gibbins serves both international clients wishing to acquire operations in Asia and domestic clients wishing to invest in businesses abroad.
With international legal experts throughout Southeast Asia, we are able to assemble a team for each matter that is tailored to the exact needs of each client. Our clients also tap into our worldwide network of associated law firms to assist with cross-border transactions, and benefit from our unique ability to negotiate and draft strong contracts in English, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, and various other languages.
We also specialize in the mechanics of starting and operating a business in Southeast Asia, including registration, licenses and permits, company secretarial services, tax matters, employment, immigration, regulatory affairs, and property.
Dispute resolution and litigation: Tilleke & Gibbins is a stalwart advocate for companies facing disputes in Southeast Asia, as well as those seeking to mitigate risks from their Southeast Asian operations. From high-value commercial litigation to complex intellectual property rights management, we secure results for our clients before trial and appellate judges, arbitrators, and government adjudicators, and at negotiation tables across every area of legal practice.
We treat our clients as the most valuable members of our litigation teams, partnering you with the most appropriate litigators, specialized practitioners, and international dispute tacticians to give you the best possible support in difficult situations. We collaborate with each client to develop a strategy that matches your particular goals and budget, and staff our litigation teams with multilingual attorneys to ensure fluent, effective client communication.
Our size and experience allow us to handle an active caseload covering the full spectrum of civil and criminal matters, as well as alternative dispute resolution proceedings including arbitration, mediation, and conciliation. Whatever the problem, our team of dispute resolution practitioners stands ready to protect your interests.
Employment: Tilleke & Gibbins’ first goal is to help employers formulate long-term, yet flexible, strategies on conditions of employment, labor-management relations, and other critical employment issues. When conflict cannot be avoided, we assist our clients with employment claims in court. We combine the strength of our dispute resolution and litigation team with the expertise of our employment attorneys to offer the following services:
- Strategic employment advice. Conditions of employment, work rules and regulations, employment agreements, benefit plans, executive compensation, labor protection, workers’ compensation, social security, provident funds, and safety issues.
- Commercial transactions. Issues related to labor expansion, contraction, and integration due to mergers, acquisitions, and restructuring.
- Labor-management relations. Conflicts in the workplace, strike management and control, lockouts, and labor demands.
- Immigration. Work permits, visas, and permanent residence permits.
- Employment and labor litigation. Enforcement of restrictive covenants related to competition and trade secrets, termination of employment claims, and sexual harassment claims.
Energy: We partner with national and multinational clients to ensure appropriate financing, licensing, success of major project investments, and proper labor and employment practices while also assisting with risk management and protection of technological innovation.
We act for clients across the energy mix in Southeast Asia. We support the activities of national and international operators in the petroleum industry, such as offshore drilling, rig decommissioning, oil and gas exploration, upstream and downstream operations, petrochemicals, transportation, and more. In clean energy technologies and renewables, we represent leading companies and exciting new players in solar and wind energy, as well as important hydroelectric projects in the region. We are also experienced in guiding generation and transmission projects past regulatory hurdles. Our expert legal advice on contracts and licensing, project finance, infrastructure development, joint ventures, and public-private partnerships enables our clients to power the ongoing development of our region.
Insurance: Tilleke & Gibbins offers a leading regional practice in insurance and reinsurance law across Southeast Asia. Our team is unique in being led by local practitioners with international industry experience and credentials gained through years of experience in-house at some of the world’s largest insurers. Our regular representation of many world-leading insurers and reinsurers, and our achievements while working with them, has led to regular recognition by world-leading legal industry directories such as Chambers Asia-Pacific, The Legal 500, and Asialaw Profiles.
Our insurance services include:
- Property, casualty, and financial lines coverage disputes
- Reinsurance litigation and arbitration
- Professional indemnity, and directors and officers defense
- Employers, public, product, and environmental liability
- Aviation, marine, construction, and energy disputes
- Mergers, acquisitions, and corporate restructurings
- Online distribution, bancassurance, and broking activities
- Market entry and regional operations
- Regulatory compliance
- Policy wording advice and localization
Intellectual property: We help creators strategically position, protect, and profit from intellectual assets in diverse markets worldwide. Our success on our clients’ behalf has led to global recognition as a leading intellectual property practice by such surveys as Asialaw Profiles, Chambers Asia Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Managing Intellectual Property, Practical Law Company, World Trademark Review, Asia IP, Asian Legal Business, and others.
We are versatile practitioners—well-educated in the overlapping fields of science, technology, and the law by top universities and real-world practice in one of the toughest IP regions in the world. Our IP group includes lawyers and patent agents with backgrounds in chemistry, biology, computer science, food science, materials science, and physics; support personnel including investigators and government/police liaisons; and technical specialists in various scientific fields, on an as-needed basis.
Life sciences: The Tilleke & Gibbins life sciences team combines experienced commercial attorneys, patent experts with technical degrees, and licensed pharmacists with industry experience to offer a full range of services to companies operating in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food and beverages, biotechnology, medical devices, veterinary products, consumer products, and other life sciences sectors. We regularly assist with:
- Regulatory affairs. Registration and prosecution of pharmaceuticals, biotech products, food and food supplements, narcotic and psychotropic substances, medical devices, cosmetics, hazardous substances, and animal and crop health products with national food and drug agencies and agricultural regulators.
- Corporate and transactional matters. Advising on corporate establishment, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions, labor and employment, due diligence, compliance investigations, IP valuation and licensing, assignments and acquisitions, franchising, distributorship, technology transfer, and tax and customs issues.
- IP registration. Strategic portfolio management of patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyright, and geographical indications, including IP search, registration, freedom-to-operate opinions, recordal, and prosecution.
- IP enforcement and litigation. Advising on pre-litigation and arbitration, IP litigation and strategy, validity challenges and invalidations, product liability, consumer complaints and recalls, and monitoring for infringing products in the market or under the application process.
Property: Tilleke & Gibbins provides efficient, cost-effective, business-oriented representation on property transactions. We work with domestic and multinational companies to develop tailored solutions for regional investment and global growth.
In addition to advice on contractual and conveyancing matters, our team provides a holistic approach to property transactions, advising on joint ventures, licensing and permits, zoning, insurance, tax, and, when necessary, dispute resolution and litigation. We are also one of the most trusted authorities on environmental law in the region, helping clients to ensure that their developments are compliant and sustainable.
We help clients in all industries, from manufacturing to hospitality, capitalize on opportunities for business success in Southeast Asian markets. Whether it’s helping a new joint venture establish a new factory, securing licenses and permits for a developer to start construction of residential or commercial real estate, or advising investors on land deals, Tilleke & Gibbins is proud to be a catalyst for the smart and sustainable development of Southeast Asia.
Regulatory affairs: Our dynamic regulatory affairs group is built on decades of practice in the region and is committed to keeping pace with discovery and innovation. Our client teams are led by experienced attorneys and specialized practitioners and include, as appropriate to the client and its industry, pharmacists, agricultural consultants, and other regulatory specialists. We guide our clients through the layers of formal and informal rules, policies, and procedures, and help our clients forge constructive relationships with regulatory authorities.
We assist with the registration and prosecution of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology products, food and food supplements, narcotic and psychotropic substances, medical devices, cosmetics, hazardous substances, and animal and crop health products with national food and drug agencies and agricultural regulators.
Our practice spans the following disciplines:
- Clinical trials and consumer testing
- Registration with public health authorities
- FDA import, export, and manufacturing licenses
- Crop care registration with agricultural regulatory authorities
- Animal, aquatic, and hazardous substance registration
- Import, export, and manufacturing licenses
- Holding licenses
- Regulatory compliance and maintenance
- Labeling and advertising clearance
- Intellectual property
Tax: Tilleke & Gibbins is consistently recognized as a top tax practice across Southeast Asia. The Legal 500 Asia Pacific credits the practice, headquartered in Thailand, with “excellent levels of service,” “prompt response times,” and “clear and well-structured advice.”
We dedicate our thorough understanding of the region’s tax regimes to helping clients achieve their business objectives, while also maximizing tax benefits and minimizing tax liabilities. We advise on an array of tax matters, including customs duties, excise tax, specific business tax, transfer pricing, petroleum income tax, corporate income tax, property and land tax, tax planning, double taxation treaties, personal income tax, stamp duties, signboard tax, and value added tax (VAT).
Market leaders in diverse sectors—including financial, manufacturing, consumer goods, construction, and energy—seek our advice in tax matters that span the spectrum of business activities. Our strategic approach to tax advice protects your commercial interests in the region and ensures that your business in Southeast Asia remains tax-efficient, well structured, and sustainable.
Technology: Our experts handle key issues and developments shaping the technology sector today, including emerging and swiftly evolving areas such as privacy and data protection, IT infrastructure, embedded technologies, the Internet of Things, data centers, fintech, insurtech, regtech, digital currency, ICOs, crowdfunding, and more.
Please browse the case studies on our website to read about how we have helped various clients over the years.
Thailand (Bangkok): since 1890, Tilleke & Gibbins’ head office has been located in Bangkok, Thailand’s center of commerce, serving the drivers of the regional economy, from regional operating headquarters to manufacturing conglomerates to new entrants in the Southeast Asian market. The Bangkok office offers unparalleled legal representation in the areas of commercial transactions and M&A, corporate services, dispute resolution and litigation, and intellectual property. We are also recognized by independent third parties for excellence in the fields of tax, regulatory affairs, transportation and logistics, technology, multimedia, and communications, and banking and finance.
Cambodia (Phnom Penh): built on a strong local foundation, the Cambodia practice offers a team of dedicated Khmer advisors who draw on the international expertise of the Bangkok office to provide advice on intellectual property, licensing, and regulatory issues. Among a range of industries, the team in Phnom Penh also specializes in sectors including franchising, life sciences, and high technology.
Indonesia (Jakarta): the Jakarta office, which operates as a dedicated intellectual property agency, brings Tilleke & Gibbins’ high standards of quality and client care to the Indonesian market. Leading multinational clients depend on our Indonesia team to protect their patents, trademarks, copyright, and other IP rights. Our team of qualified intellectual property consultants assists clients with patent, utility model, design, and trademark applications and registrations, renewals, searches, responses to office actions, oppositions, cancellations, recordal of license agreements, due diligence, watch services, copyright recordation, and a wide range of other services to help you manage your portfolio of intellectual assets.
Laos (Vientiane): the Vientiane practice provides legal advice for foreign investors in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. With particular expertise in intellectual property law, our team has assisted hundreds of multinational corporations with trademark and patent registration and enforcement in Laos. Building on our expertise in IP law, the team in Laos is also well positioned to work with local associates to advise clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters, from company formation to projects and infrastructure to labor and employment issues.
Myanmar (Yangon): the Tilleke & Gibbins team in Yangon assists new market entrants to navigate this unfamiliar jurisdiction. As the Myanmar government pushes forward with establishing new legal frameworks governing how investors can operate businesses, our team provides the practical, on-the-ground experience necessary to meet business objectives in the country. Backed by the expertise of the Bangkok office, our Myanmar office has particular strength in the area of intellectual property, protecting and defending the building blocks of domestic and international businesses.
Vietnam (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City): Tilleke & Gibbins has been practicing law in Vietnam since becoming the first foreign law firm to be granted a license to establish a representative office in Vietnam in 1992. With two office locations in the hubs of both the Northern and Southern parts of the country, Tilleke & Gibbins helps businesses capitalize on Vietnam’s abundant trade and investment opportunities. The Vietnam teams play a part in this true emerging market, by providing a full array of legal services spanning virtually all industries and practice areas. The Vietnam offices have been recognized by top legal publications and directories in the areas of trademarks and patents, construction and real estate, corporate and M&A, banking and finance, dispute resolution, employment, and technology.
|Competition and Trade, Compliance and Investigations||Michael Ramirezfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5794|
|Aviation, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute Resolution and Litigation||John Frangosemail@example.com||+66 2056 5790|
|Aviation, Banking and Finance, Capital Markets,||Santhapat Perierafirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5995|
|Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Property||Cynthia Pornavalaiemail@example.com||+66 2056 5559|
|Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Consumers Product, Competition and Trade, Corporate/M&A, Tax||Kobkit Thienpreechafirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5534|
|Consumers Product,||Wiramrudee (Pink) Mokkhavesaemail@example.com||+66 2056 5873|
|Corporate/M&A,||Charunun Sathitsuksomboonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5541|
|Dispute Resolution and Litigation||Tiziana Sucharitkulemail@example.com||+66 2056 5777|
|Dispute Resolution and Litigation||Thawat Damsafirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5500|
|Employment||Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerutemail@example.com||+66 2056 5588|
|Employment||Chusert Supasitthumrongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5793|
|Insurance||Eric M. Meyeremail@example.com||+66 2056 5797|
|Insurance||Noppramart Thammateeradaychofirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2653 5790|
|Intellectual Property||Darani Vachanavuttivongemail@example.com||+66 2056 5888|
|Life Sciences, Intellectual Property, Regulatory Affairs||Alan Adcockfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5871|
|Property||Chaiwat Keratisuthisathornemail@example.com||+66 2056 5507|
|Life Sciences, Regulatory affairs||Atthachai Homhuanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5610|
|Energy||Joseph Tomkiewiczemail@example.com||+66 2056 5505|
|Energy||Supasit Boonsanongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5660|
|Technology||Suebsiri Taweeponemail@example.com||+66 2056 5877|
|Mr Alan Adcock||Partner and Deputy Director, Intellectual PropertyPractice Areas: Intellectual Property, Commercial Transactions and…||View Profile|
|Mr Supasit Boonsanong||Partner and Co-Chair of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Energy PracticePractice Areas: Energy, Banking…||View Profile|
|Mr Thawat Damsa-ard||Partner and Chief LitigatorPractice Areas: Anti-Dumping; Competition and Trade; Compliance and Investigations; Customs;…||View Profile|
|Mr John Frangos||Partner and Deputy Director, Dispute Resolution and LitigationPractice Areas: Aviation, Compliance and…||View Profile|
|Mr Nandana Indananda||PartnerPractice Areas: Intellectual Property, Technology, Multimedia, and Communications, Dispute Resolution and Litigation,…||View Profile|
|Ms Sukontip Jitmongkolthong||PartnerPractice Areas: Intellectual Property||View Profile|
|Mr Chaiwat Keratisuthisathorn||Partner and Head of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Property PracticePractice Areas: Corporate/M&A, Property||View Profile|
|Mr Nopparat Lalitkomon||Senior AssociatePractice Areas: Technology, Banking and Finance, Competition and Trade, Corporate/M&A, Employment||View Profile|
|Mr David Lyman||Chairman and Chief Values OfficerPractice Areas: Management, Client Relations and Development, Dispute…||View Profile|
|Mr Eric M. Meyer||ConsultantPractice Areas: Consumer Products, Insurance, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute Resolution and Litigation,…||View Profile|
|Ms Wiramrudee (Pink) Mokkhavesa||PartnerPractice Areas: Consumer Products, Intellectual Property,||View Profile|
|Mr Santhapat Periera||PartnerPractice Areas: Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Energy and Natural Resources, Environment,…||View Profile|
|Ms Cynthia M. Pornavalai||PartnerPractice Areas: Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Insolvency, Bankruptcy, and Restructuring, Trade and…||View Profile|
|Mr Michael Ramirez||CounselPractice Areas: Competition and Trade, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute Resolution and Litigation,…||View Profile|
|Ms Charunun Sathitsuksomboon||PartnerPractice Area: Corporate/M&A, Competition and Trade, Consumer Products||View Profile|
|Ms Tiziana Sucharitkul||Co-Managing Partner and Director of Dispute Resolution DepartmentPractice Areas: Litigation, Arbitration, and…||View Profile|
|Ms Prisna Sungwanna||PartnerPractice Areas: Aviation, Energy, Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Employment, Property||View Profile|
|Mr Chusert Supasitthumrong||PartnerPractice Areas: Dispute Resolution, Litigation, Employment, Product Liability and Consumers Claims, White…||View Profile|
|Mr Suebsiri Taweepon||Partner Practice Areas: Intellectual Property; Technology, Multimedia, and Communications; Dispute Resolution and…||View Profile|
|Mr Kasamesunt Teerasitsathaporn||Partner Practice Areas: Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Customs Disputes, Complex Civil and…||View Profile|
|Ms Noppramart Thammateeradaycho||CounselPractice Areas: Insurance, Technology, Competition and Trade, Dispute Resolution and Litigation||View Profile|
|Mr Kobkit Thienpreecha||Partner Practice Areas: Corporate Services, Commercial Transactions and M&A, Capital Market Compliance…||View Profile|
|Mr Joseph Tomkiewicz||Partner and Co-Chair of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Energy PracticePractice Areas: Energy, Corporate/M&A||View Profile|
|Mrs Darani Vachanavuttivong||Co-Managing Partner and Managing Director of Intellectual Property Department Practice Area: Intellectual…||View Profile|
|Ms Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerut||Partner Practice Areas: Labor and Employment, Private Client Services, Transportation and Logistics,…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 200+ at this office : 111
LanguagesBahasa Indonesia Bahasa Malaysia Burmese Chinese (Putonghua) Dutch English Filipino French German Italian Japanese Khmer Korean Lao Thai Vietnamese Spanish
MembershipsLex Mundi Multilaw Transatlantic Law International
Press Releases7th December 2022 Tilleke & Gibbins is pleased to announce that it has bolstered the capabilities of its Corporate & Commercial team in Vietnam with the hire of Tram Ngoc Bich Nguyen as a partner.
11th May 2022 Tilleke & Gibbins is pleased to announce the addition of tax law heavyweights Auaychai Sukawong and Chanattorn Thunyaluck to the firm’s tax practice. Auaychai joins the firm as a partner and head of the firm’s regional tax practice, and Chanattorn joins as a senior associate in the firm’s Bangkok office.
4th January 2022 We are pleased to announce that David Lyman, Chairman and Chief Values Officer at Tilleke & Gibbins, was officially appointed as a Member (5th Class) of the Most Admirable Order of Direkgunabhorn during a ceremony at Buakeaw Hall in the Ministry of Foreign of Affairs on December 15, 2021.
David Lyman Receives Royal Decoration from HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua of Thailand5th July 2021 On June 21, 2021, Thailand’s Government Gazette announced that His Majesty the King of Thailand has conferred a royal decoration on David Lyman, Chairman and Chief Values Officer of regional Southeast Asian law firm Tilleke & Gibbins, for his lifelong dedication to the improvement of the Thai nation and its relations with the United States.
Legal Developments21st September 2021 Tilleke & Gibbins is pleased to announce that it has further strengthened its capabilities with the hire of Derrick Khoo as a partner in the regional Corporate/M&A team, where his cross-border transactional experience in handling complex legal matters amidst challenging legal and regulatory environments will facilitate the firm’s clients to achieve their business objectives in the ASEAN region.
22nd October 2020 The Myanmar Customs Department (MCD) organized another Intellectual Property Awareness and Product Identification Workshop at its Customs Training School in Yangon on August 6, 2020, for its frontline customs officers. Such workshops are held numerous times every year, serving as a platform for foreign brand owners and their local representatives to educate and update the enforcement officers on methods for differentiating their genuine products from counterfeits and imitations when inspecting suspicious shipments at ports of entry into the country. The training sessions are also useful in encouraging collaborative discourse between the private and public sectors to improve the efficiency of their joint intellectual property rights enforcement efforts.
5th October 2020 Recent amendments to Thailand’s Civil Procedure Code (CPC) will allow parties to submit a matter for court-supervised mediation prior to the actual filing of the case. Encouraging mediation prior to filing a complaint is intended to save time and resources that would otherwise be expended on a trial.
- Customs and international trade
- Intellectual property
- Labour and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects and energy
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Vietnam > Insurance