Our firm represents leading multinational technology manufacturers, content developers and distributors, digital business operators, telecommunications providers, and other leading companies in cutting edge industries. We help our clients to strategically position, protect, and profit from their valuable intellectual property in diverse markets worldwide, and ensure the clearance and licensing of intellectual property as it relates to film, television, radio, and internet content.
Tilleke & Gibbins > Bangkok, Thailand > Firm Profile
Tilleke & Gibbins Offices
SUPALAI GRAND TOWER, 26 F
1011 RAMA 3 ROAD, CHONGNONSI, YANNAWA
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Meet The Teams
- Press Releases
- Legal Developments
Tilleke & Gibbins > The Legal 500 Rankings
John Frangos; Chusert Supasitthumrong
‘Tilleke & Gibbins’ team delivers practical advice and helps us navigate the restructuring proceedings in Thailand, which we are not familiar with.’
‘The team is comprised of experts in their own domains, which makes the firm a one-stop shop for all advice. The vast experience of the team is very useful.’
‘Thawat Damsa-ard is one of the leading lawyers in the country.’
‘Very strong international law firm.’
‘They have a large and diversified team. I am impressed with the dedication and commitment of their team.’
- Representing Thailand’s largest ISP as an interpleader in an environmental and public health dispute at the local administrative court, in relation to a high performance submarine internet cable project.
- Represented American Express, Collins Aerospace, dnata, and Euler Hermes, and numerous other creditors in securing debt repayment in connection with Thai Airways’ business rehabilitation.
- Representing a European aerospace and defense company in litigation against the Royal Thai Navy, in relation to the breach of a defense equipment contract worth over THB600m.
Darani Vachanavuttivong; Alan Adcock
Other key lawyers:
‘Attention to detail and laser-focused on delivering client’s requirements within the agreed timeframe. Excellent administrators and proactive workers.’
‘Sukontip Jitmongkolthong is a brilliant strategist and expert on intellectual property laws, not only in Thailand but also in the Southeast Asian region. Her pragmatic and straight-to-the-point approach is highly valuable to our work.’
‘One of the leading teams in the country.’
‘Alan Adcock is exceptional. His knowledge of the Thai market, bolstered with his insightful life sciences and healthcare know-how, is invaluable and important to our clients.’
‘Competent and responsive team. Good application of technology to support legal work and IP portfolio management.’
‘Nandana Indananda is an excellent IP litigator and strategist. Very strong experience and knowledge in IP and related areas. He is creative, practical and understands client’s business needs.’
‘Somboon Earterasarun is highly competent, professional, diligent, and responsive. He is very pleasant to work with.’
‘The firm provides excellent service and support.’
- Secured a precedent judgment on the store layout form of trade dress from Thailand’s IP&IT Court for Ruay Sabai Sabai Co., Ltd. and Fire Tiger by Seoulcial Club.
- Assisted Panasonic in combatting counterfeit batteries in Thailand, resulting in the seizure of over 80,000 Panasonic-branded counterfeit goods.
- Representing an American sports footwear and apparel brandin first-of-its-kind trademark litigation attempting to secure protection for a non-traditional mark not previously available in Thailand.
Chusert Supasitthumrong; Pimvimol Vipamaneerut
‘The team has provided us with clear and comprehensive advice on the implications/rules/requirements in relation to Covid-19 and the workplace in Thailand for one of our global clients.’
‘The team have always been responsive and worked to our deadlines/budgets. Despite the differences in legal systems and language, the advice we’ve received has been clear and helpful.’
‘The partners and associates I’ve worked with have been pro-active in developing our relationship, including Pimvimol Vipamaneerut, who paid our firm a courtesy visit to build on our working relationship.’
‘The team is partner led and responsive to requests. Pricing is competitive, and they are commercial in their outlook.’
‘Pimvimol Vipamaneerut leads the team and is our primary point of contact. She is always available and gives very commercial and sound advice.’
‘Pimvimol Vipamaneerut is very responsive and pragmatic in her advice.’
Oliver Wyman Pte. Ltd.
United Overseas Bank
Walt Disney (Thailand)
- Worked with Simmons & Simmons to advise Alibaba on critical employment law issues in Thailand.
- Assisted Oracle, an American multinational computer technology corporation, with reviewing and updating their existing policies and work rules in Thailand.
- Provided WarnerMedia with comprehensive advice on how the company could proceed with their “Return to Work” project in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Thailand > Tax Tier 1Tilleke & Gibbins’ ‘exceptional’ team is led by Auaychai Sukawong, who advises on tax structuring for inbound and outbound investment in the ASEAN region. The practice, which has experience across the consumer products, commerce and trade, and energy sectors, relies on the expertise of senior associate Peerapong Pornpipatkul, who focuses on the tax aspects of corporate restructurings and M&A transactions. Corporate tax issues, transfer pricing, international tax and personal income tax matters also take up a large portion of the team’s workload.
Other key lawyers:
‘Superb response time, excellent attention to detail. Their knowledge was exceptional, and they were able to frame the matter in an international context.’
‘Extremely helpful and prompt responses.’
Brown Brothers Harriman
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
China Development Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
UOB Kay Hian Credit Pte. Ltd.
- Assisting a Thailand-based purveyor of oil and gas on tax matters in relation to Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract involving a number of international elements.
- Advised IBM on Thai tax implications of the global spin-off of its newly formed company called ‘Kyndryl’.
- Advised an international NGO on tax obligations in relation to service providers and contractors in Thailand and abroad, as well as in relation to the hiring and termination of non-Thai employees in Thailand.
Thailand > TMT Tier 1Tilleke & Gibbins’ ‘strong’ practice has demonstrable experience across a broad range of matters, concerning artificial intelligence, blockchain, crowdfunding, cybersecurity, data protection and digital currencies. The team is headed by Charuwan Charoonchitsathian, who advises on telecoms, fintech and artificial intelligence mandates, and IP expert Suebsiri Taweepon, who focuses on technology transfers and IP rights for technology-related matters. The practice also counts on the expertise of Nopparat Lalitkomon, who specialises in data protection and cybersecurity work. Key clients include multinational content distributors and developers, digital business operators, e-commerce and social media platforms, technology manufacturers and telecoms providers, among others.
Charuwan Charoonchitsathian; Suebsiri Taweepon
Other key lawyers:
‘They are competent and strong. Clients can approach them when needed and get the right answers.’
AI and Robotics Ventures
- Advised Facebook and LINE for compliance with regulations under Thailand’s Personal Data Protection Act.
- Advised a diversified entertainment company on the successful launch of its subscription video on demand (SVOD) platform in Thailand.
- Advised a technology company on the Thai legal framework regulating the deployment, operation, and ownership of telecommunications infrastructure including point of presence (PoP), cable landing stations, and submarine cables in Thai territorial waters.
Santhapat Periera; Kobkit Thienpreecha
Other key lawyers:
Cynthia M. Pornavalai; Niti Muangkote
Brown Brothers Harriman
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
China Development Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
UOB Kay Hian Credit Pte. Ltd.
- Assisting a multinational tire manufacturing company in the iteration of a syndicated loan financing administered by global investment bank JPMorgan Chase.
- Acted as Thai legal counsel to aircraft in connection with a sale and leaseback transaction involving four Airbus A320-200 aircraft with a leading budget airline.
- Advising a leading international bank on various amendments and waivers to, and the restatement of, a GBP 25 million Senior Facilities Agreement and related security documents between an international fitness company and the client.
Thailand > Capital markets Tier 2Tilleke & Gibbins’ ‘dynamic’ team acts for domestic and international clients on the issuance of funds, debt and equity securities, among other financial instruments, as well as advising on IPO due diligence and primary and secondary listings on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Kobkit Thienpreecha, who advises on IPOs, is a key member of the team alongside Santhapat Periera, who acts for investment funds, asset management companies and financial institutions on the provision of financial instruments. The practice was bolstered by the arrival of Yaowarote Klinboon in January 2023 who has assumed the mantle of team head.
‘Dynamic law firm cultivating excellence through professionalism and attention to detail.’
Bain Capital Private Equity
First State Investments
Merian Global Investors
Mirae Asset Global Investments
Robeco Singapore Private Limited
Vinythai Public Company Limited
Weiss Asset Management
- Advising Vinythai Public Company Limited on the delisting of its shares from the Stock Exchange of Thailand following a THB 39/share tender offer by PTT Global Chemical Public Company Limited.
- Advised Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited on the regulatory framework in respect of the passporting of various ETFs from Hong Kong to Thailand under the Mutual Recognition of Funds between Hong Kong and Thailand.
- Engaged by Robeco Singapore Private Limited to advise on the offering of discretionary investment management services and regulatory requirements for the management a USD 250 million global fixed-income securities portfolio for Thailand’s Government Pension Fund.
Thailand > Corporate and M&A Tier 2Charunun Sathitsuksomboon, who is praised as ‘well-versed in M&A transactions’, jointly leads the team at Tilleke & Gibbins alongside Kobkit Thienpreecha, who advises on asset acquisitions and joint ventures. Counting domestic and international companies among its key roster of clients, the practice handles a broad range of corporate and commercial matters across the automotive, energy, insurance, life sciences, financial services and technology sectors. Cynthia M. Pornavalai, who advises on cross-border commercial transactions, is another key contact in the team.
Charunun Sathitsuksomboon; Kobkit Thienpreech
Other key lawyers:
Cynthia M. Pornavalai; Prisna Sungwanna
‘They have a very strong team.’
‘Charunun Sathitsuksomboon is an outstanding person, who knows the insurance industry very well and is well-versed in M&A transactions.’
‘Sufficient expertise, reasonable fee estimates and billing, solid and credible communication.’
‘They have lawyers who can provide professional services in many aspects.’
‘I have been working with this firm for more than 10 years and have worked with various individuals. Those with whom I have worked with were very dedicated.’
‘Prompt responses, well-versed with local laws, know our company well and fluent in English.’
Arxada AG (Bain Capital and Cinven)
Bridgestone Sports Co., Ltd.
DSV Panalpina A/S
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM)
Merck & Co., Inc.
- Advised Volvo Group on the Thai elements of its global strategic alliance with Isuzu Motors in respect of commercial vehicles, which included Isuzu Motor’s JPY243 billion acquisition of Volvo Group’s UD Trucks.
- Advised Francisco Partners on the Thai elements of its USD 1.45 billion public acquisition of CDK Global Inc.
- Retained by Bain Capital and Cinven, which together own Arxada AG, to assist on the Thai elements of its global merger with Troy Corp., which included the acquisition of Troy Siam Co., Ltd.
Kobkit Thienpreecha; Michael Ramirez
Amec Foster Wheeler (Thailand)
Tao Kae Noi
- Advised a multinational chemical manufacturing company on anti-dumping, regional value content (RVC) rules, and related customs issues under the China-Thailand FTA.
- Advised a publicly traded manufacturing company for major OEMs on rules of origin application and other customs benefits under the India-Thailand FTA and the ASEAN-India FTA.
Thailand > Insurance Tier 2Tilleke & Gibbins’ insurance team advises on a range of matters, from insurance authorisation and licensing to bancassurance issues and insurance coverage disputes. Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerut leads the team alongside Eric M. Meyer, who specialises in insurance-related disputes concerning infrastructure damage, construction accidents, product liability and loss of cargo, and Noppramart Thammateeradaycho, who advises on major maritime insurance claims. The practice is also noted for its expertise in insurtech developments and implementations. Athistha Chitranukroh left the firm in October 2021.
Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerut; Eric M. Meyer; Noppramart Thammateeradaycho
Dhipaya Insurance PCL
Marsh & McLennan Group
MSIG Insurance (Thailand) PCL
Tokio Marine Insurance Thailand PCL
- Represented a Thai insurance company in proceedings issued against their insured in a case where the plaintiff alleged that the defendants, in the course of the construction of a gas pressure station caused damage to an orchid farm by way of dust, vibration, and flooding.
- Appointed a Thai insurance company as the go-to law firm for providing coverage and settlement advice for medical malpractice claims brought against its insured in Thailand.
- Representing a group of insurance companies as co-plaintiffs in a subrogation claim filed in the Thai courts in connection with excessive damages caused by a defective equipment.
Joseph Tomkiewicz; Supasit Boonsanong
‘Supasit Boonsanong is the one of the best partners in this practice. He has good knowledge and a great relationship with his clients.’
‘Joseph Tomkiewicz manages a good team.’
‘Joseph Tomkiewicz is one of the most experienced and well-connected oil and gas lawyers in Southeast Asia. Joe gives practical advice with insights into the perspectives of the relevant counter-parties.’
Amarenco Asia Pacific
Global Green Chemicals
Global Power Synergy Public Company Limited
IRPC Public Company Limited
KPS Capital Partners
KTIS Bioethanol Company Limited
PTT Tank Terminal
Sahacogen Public Company Limited
- Advising one of the leading consortium members on the implementation and construction of the Laem Chabang Port Phase 3 Development Project, an infrastructure development plan under the Eastern Economic Corridor scheme.
- Assisting a joint venture between Global Green Chemicals Plc and Kaset Thai International Sugar Corporation Plc on a THB20bn Nakorn Sawan Biocomplex project with NatureWorks LLC.
- Advising IRPC PLC on the construction and development of two clean fuel projects, collectively valued at approximately US$500m.
Chaiwat Keratisuthisathorn; Cynthia M. Pornavalai
Ananda Development PCL
CMA CGM Inland Services (Thailand) Limited
JC Kelvin Development
PTT Tank Terminal
Scania Siam Co., Ltd.
- Advising one of the leading consortium members on the implementation and construction of the Laem Chabang Port Phase 3 Development Project, an infrastructure development plan under the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) scheme.
- Advising a leading European-based Electronics Manufacturing Service provider and its Thai subsidiary responsible for the company’s business dealings in Asia, on the acquisition of the land and the construction of a new manufacturing facility in Thailand.
- Assisted King Furniture Thai Company Limited with its THB 445 million acquisition of a 28-acre plot of land, together with several existing facilities and buildings on the plot in Thailand.
Cynthia M. Pornavalai; John Frangos; Thawat Damsa-ard
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company
General Motors Thailand and General Motors Powertrain
Pratt & Whitney
- Assisted a multinational packaging company in reviewing, revising, and supporting the Thai elements of a regional corporate restructuring plan.
- Represented an American multinational financial services corporation in preparing and defending a business repayment application in connection with Thai Airways’ insolvency and business rehabilitation.
- Advised an American aerospace manufacturer with global service operations on preparing, filing, and litigating a debt claim against insolvent Thai budget carrier Nok Air.
Thailand > Transport Tier 2Tilleke & Gibbins stands out for its expertise in the aviation sector, acting for a range of clients, including airlines, aircraft leasing companies, air cargo firms and other aviation-related companies, on matters concerning aircraft acquisitions and sales, in addition to aircraft leasing and financing. Disputes specialist John Frangos, who serves as a committee leader for the Aerospace Council of the American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand, jointly leads the aviation group alongside Santhapat Periera, who handles aircraft-related commercial transactions. Noppramart Thammateeradaycho spearheads the shipping practice and has demonstrable experience advising on major maritime insurance claims.
John Frangos; Noppramart Thammateeradaycho; Santhapat Periera
Collins Aerospace, a Raytheon Technologies company
GE Capital Aviation Services
Pacific Air Holdings
Pratt & Whitney
Japan Transport Engineering Company
Seafarers’ Rights International
- Advised leading aircraft lessors on a USD 106 million aircraft sale and leaseback transaction.
- Engaged to advise and assist on the amendment and restructuring of USD 20.5 million airframe and engine portfolio financing.
- Represented Bureau Veritas in a virtual hearing at the Thai IP&IT Court, for a case involving surveyor liability claims brought against the client in relation to a shipment of rice that was found to be spoiled upon arrival at the destination.
John Frangos; Noppramart Thammateeradaycho; Michael Ramirez
- Represented the Thai subsidiary of a multinational real estate development and property management conglomerate in construction-related arbitration before the Thai Arbitration Institute (TAI).
- Represented Insultec International in arbitration following a dispute over allegations of defective insulation equipment supplied to the Ichthys LNG project in Darwin, Australia.
Tilleke & Gibbins > Firm Profile
Since 1890, Tilleke & Gibbins’ head office has been located in Bangkok, Thailand’s capital and a regional center of commerce. From our offices in Bangkok, we serve the drivers of the regional economy, from regional operating headquarters to manufacturing conglomerates to new entrants in the Southeast Asian market.
Our Bangkok office offers unparalleled legal representation in the areas of commercial transactions and M&A, corporate services, dispute resolution and litigation, and intellectual property. We are also recognized by independent third parties for excellence in the fields of tax, regulatory affairs, transportation and logistics, technology, and banking and finance.
As a proudly independent regional firm, Tilleke & Gibbins is unique for our dedication to Thailand and Southeast Asia. It’s not just a market, but our home as well. Besides housing one of the best legal libraries in Thailand, our Bangkok office is home to our Museum of Counterfeit Goods, which educates visitors on intellectual property protection and enforcement, and our Textile Collection, which showcases our support for the cultures of the region by bringing together, preserving, and displaying over 2,000 pieces from different regions and ethnic groups in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
Our firm: Tilleke & Gibbins is a leading Southeast Asian regional law firm with over 190 lawyers and consultants practicing in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. We provide full-service legal solutions to the top investors and high-growth companies that drive economic expansion in Asia.
Established in Bangkok in 1890, we have since grown into the largest independent law firm in Thailand and a leading international firm across Southeast Asia due to our commercial focus, local knowledge, and extraordinary service.
Commercial focus: Your long-term success is our utmost priority, and we take the time to learn about your unique corporate culture, operational needs, and commercial goals, to determine how we can best provide value to your organization. From highly technical experience in specific fields, to a deep understanding of your business, our team is committed to providing high-quality legal advice, tailored to meet your unique needs, to best help you succeed.
Local knowledge: You need a local partner to help you navigate emerging markets that can otherwise present unfamiliar challenges. We bring an international perspective, but we have deep roots in each jurisdiction where we practice. We know the local players in your industry, can identify advantageous private partnerships and areas for government collaboration, and act as your gateway through language and cultural barriers.
Extraordinary service: Our team takes pride in providing extraordinary service that exceeds your expectations. When you work with us, you can expect to have a team of collaborative advisors who provide you with clear, practical advice; who are responsive in all our communications; who represent you with integrity; and who apply an innovative approach in everything we do. With clients as extraordinary as ours, we know that nothing short of extraordinary legal services will suffice.
Our practice areas
Aviation: Tilleke & Gibbins’ cross-disciplinary aviation team serves airlines, aircraft lessors and lessees, insurers, banks, air cargo firms, and other aviation-related companies in Southeast Asia, one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets. With our firm’s top-ranked dispute resolution and corporate departments, as well as our multijurisdictional presence, we are well placed to advise clients in aviation matters.
Our practice covers:
- Aircraft leasing disputes and repossessions
- Civil aviation regulations
- Air carrier liability
- Air carrier insurance claims and disputes
- Commercial and labor disputes involving the aviation industry
- Aircraft acquisitions and sales
- Aircraft leasing and financing
Our understanding of the business and regulatory environments in Southeast Asia, as well as our strong relationships, enables us to provide unparalleled breadth of support to clients in the aviation sector. In addition to representing our clients in corporate, commercial, and financing transactions, we regularly represent our clients before civil aviation departments, courts, and arbitration tribunals.
Banking and finance: Through long-term relationships with domestic and international businesses, financial institutions, investors, and regulators, we consistently deliver insight and results to both borrowers and lenders to facilitate the region’s largest projects, groundbreaking real estate transactions, and most ambitious businesses.
Our banking and finance team is trusted by major local and foreign banks, securities brokers and dealers, equity and investment firms, and other financial institutions to assist with their lending activities, market entry, and day-to-day operations in the region. Through our advice on licensing and establishment, regulatory compliance, acquisitions and joint ventures, and every other aspect of operations, we have helped the region’s leading banking institutions thrive in the emerging markets of Southeast Asia.
We are also proud to be a trusted authority on technological solutions in the industry, with our robust technology industry group working with some of the world’s most innovative companies on fintech, cryptocurrency, blockchain, and cybersecurity matters.
Capital markets: We represent global and regional corporations and funds looking to issue equity instruments and debt securities, and we advise underwriters and issuers on crucial matters of disclosure when they prepare to offer securities to the public or to private investors. Our specialists advise on all types of financial instruments (including loans, securities, mutual funds, property funds, bonds, and derivatives), financial workouts and restructuring, and investment in regional assets and capital markets.
We have advised on the listing and secondary listing of hundreds of companies on markets around the world, and are well-equipped to quickly and confidently advise on navigating the regulatory requirements needed to advance your interests in Southeast Asia and beyond. Our extensive experience guiding clients through capital market regulatory frameworks in Southeast Asia and beyond has enabled clients to achieve the cash flow to support their investment goals. Issuers, underwriters, shareholders, originators, trustees, and depositaries all rely on Tilleke & Gibbins to ensure that investments with a Southeast Asian element are sound and secure.
Competition and trade: Tilleke & Gibbins provides real-world advice on antitrust and competition laws, including merger control and notifications, price-fixing, abuse of dominance, cooperation among competitors, antidumping, and countervailing duties. We understand the realities of business development in Southeast Asia and can help you create effective and compliant action plans for market entry and expansion.
Our regional trade practice is rooted in a deep understanding of the cross-border movement of goods and capital in Southeast Asia, and our dynamic practice represents clients in such diverse fields as life sciences, consumer products, financial services, technology, raw materials, and logistics. We advise on every aspect of trade, including valuations and customs investigations and compliance, origin and exporter verification, movement of hazardous materials, logistics and warehousing, import/export controls, and international treaty frameworks.
Compliance and investigations: Tilleke & Gibbins offers a wide array of specialist legal, regulatory, and practical advice on government and internal investigations, white-collar defense, compliance, and anti-corruption matters, tailored for local jurisdictions. Our multi-jurisdictional team can assist you seamlessly across borders with a deep knowledge of local business practices and cultures.
Our investigation and compliance practice includes:
- Internal corporate investigations
- Advising clients on criminal and regulatory investigations
- Advising clients on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the U.K. Bribery Act
- Providing insight into local anti-corruption laws, regulatory regimes, and business culture
- Designing, advising, and implementing compliance programs
- Anti-corruption due diligence on agents, partners, and M&A targets
- Anti-corruption risk assessments and audits
Consumer products: The consumer products team at Tilleke & Gibbins will partner with you across all stages of commercializing your product in Southeast Asia.
At the concept and design stage, we help protect your innovation through patent and trademark services, and pave the way for market entry and product launches through market surveys and commercialization services.
At the realization stage, we work with you to secure favorable manufacturing and warehousing deals, enter into joint ventures with trusted local partners, and navigate the regulatory and labelling regimes to ensure that your products are compliant and profitable. When manufacturing is underway, we advise on labor and employment matters on an ongoing basis, and on the vital licensing, distribution, and franchising agreements to get your products to market worldwide.
Corporate/M&A: Tilleke & Gibbins serves both international clients wishing to acquire operations in Asia and domestic clients wishing to invest in businesses abroad.
With international legal experts throughout Southeast Asia, we are able to assemble a team for each matter that is tailored to the exact needs of each client. Our clients also tap into our worldwide network of associated law firms to assist with cross-border transactions, and benefit from our unique ability to negotiate and draft strong contracts in English, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, and various other languages.
We also specialize in the mechanics of starting and operating a business in Southeast Asia, including registration, licenses and permits, company secretarial services, tax matters, employment, immigration, regulatory affairs, and property.
Dispute resolution and litigation: Tilleke & Gibbins is a stalwart advocate for companies facing disputes in Southeast Asia, as well as those seeking to mitigate risks from their Southeast Asian operations. From high-value commercial litigation to complex intellectual property rights management, we secure results for our clients before trial and appellate judges, arbitrators, and government adjudicators, and at negotiation tables across every area of legal practice.
We treat our clients as the most valuable members of our litigation teams, partnering you with the most appropriate litigators, specialized practitioners, and international dispute tacticians to give you the best possible support in difficult situations. We collaborate with each client to develop a strategy that matches your particular goals and budget, and staff our litigation teams with multilingual attorneys to ensure fluent, effective client communication.
Our size and experience allow us to handle an active caseload covering the full spectrum of civil and criminal matters, as well as alternative dispute resolution proceedings including arbitration, mediation, and conciliation. Whatever the problem, our team of dispute resolution practitioners stands ready to protect your interests.
Employment: Tilleke & Gibbins’ first goal is to help employers formulate long-term, yet flexible, strategies on conditions of employment, labor-management relations, and other critical employment issues. When conflict cannot be avoided, we assist our clients with employment claims in court. We combine the strength of our dispute resolution and litigation team with the expertise of our employment attorneys to offer the following services:
- Strategic employment advice. Conditions of employment, work rules and regulations, employment agreements, benefit plans, executive compensation, labor protection, workers’ compensation, social security, provident funds, and safety issues.
- Commercial transactions. Issues related to labor expansion, contraction, and integration due to mergers, acquisitions, and restructuring.
- Labor-management relations. Conflicts in the workplace, strike management and control, lockouts, and labor demands.
- Immigration. Work permits, visas, and permanent residence permits.
- Employment and labor litigation. Enforcement of restrictive covenants related to competition and trade secrets, termination of employment claims, and sexual harassment claims.
Energy: We partner with national and multinational clients to ensure appropriate financing, licensing, success of major project investments, and proper labor and employment practices while also assisting with risk management and protection of technological innovation.
We act for clients across the energy mix in Southeast Asia. We support the activities of national and international operators in the petroleum industry, such as offshore drilling, rig decommissioning, oil and gas exploration, upstream and downstream operations, petrochemicals, transportation, and more. In clean energy technologies and renewables, we represent leading companies and exciting new players in solar and wind energy, as well as important hydroelectric projects in the region. We are also experienced in guiding generation and transmission projects past regulatory hurdles. Our expert legal advice on contracts and licensing, project finance, infrastructure development, joint ventures, and public-private partnerships enables our clients to power the ongoing development of our region.
Insurance: Tilleke & Gibbins offers a leading regional practice in insurance and reinsurance law across Southeast Asia. Our team is unique in being led by local practitioners with international industry experience and credentials gained through years of experience in-house at some of the world’s largest insurers. Our regular representation of many world-leading insurers and reinsurers, and our achievements while working with them, has led to regular recognition by world-leading legal industry directories such as Chambers Asia-Pacific, The Legal 500, and Asialaw Profiles.
Our insurance services include:
- Property, casualty, and financial lines coverage disputes
- Reinsurance litigation and arbitration
- Professional indemnity, and directors and officers defense
- Employers, public, product, and environmental liability
- Aviation, marine, construction, and energy disputes
- Mergers, acquisitions, and corporate restructurings
- Online distribution, bancassurance, and broking activities
- Market entry and regional operations
- Regulatory compliance
- Policy wording advice and localization
Intellectual property: We help creators strategically position, protect, and profit from intellectual assets in diverse markets worldwide. Our success on our clients’ behalf has led to global recognition as a leading intellectual property practice by such surveys as Asialaw Profiles, Chambers Asia Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Managing Intellectual Property, Practical Law Company, World Trademark Review, Asia IP, Asian Legal Business, and others.
We are versatile practitioners—well-educated in the overlapping fields of science, technology, and the law by top universities and real-world practice in one of the toughest IP regions in the world. Our IP group includes lawyers and patent agents with backgrounds in chemistry, biology, computer science, food science, materials science, and physics; support personnel including investigators and government/police liaisons; and technical specialists in various scientific fields, on an as-needed basis.
Life sciences: The Tilleke & Gibbins life sciences team combines experienced commercial attorneys, patent experts with technical degrees, and licensed pharmacists with industry experience to offer a full range of services to companies operating in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food and beverages, biotechnology, medical devices, veterinary products, consumer products, and other life sciences sectors. We regularly assist with:
- Regulatory affairs. Registration and prosecution of pharmaceuticals, biotech products, food and food supplements, narcotic and psychotropic substances, medical devices, cosmetics, hazardous substances, and animal and crop health products with national food and drug agencies and agricultural regulators.
- Corporate and transactional matters. Advising on corporate establishment, cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions, labor and employment, due diligence, compliance investigations, IP valuation and licensing, assignments and acquisitions, franchising, distributorship, technology transfer, and tax and customs issues.
- IP registration. Strategic portfolio management of patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyright, and geographical indications, including IP search, registration, freedom-to-operate opinions, recordal, and prosecution.
- IP enforcement and litigation. Advising on pre-litigation and arbitration, IP litigation and strategy, validity challenges and invalidations, product liability, consumer complaints and recalls, and monitoring for infringing products in the market or under the application process.
Property: Tilleke & Gibbins provides efficient, cost-effective, business-oriented representation on property transactions. We work with domestic and multinational companies to develop tailored solutions for regional investment and global growth.
In addition to advice on contractual and conveyancing matters, our team provides a holistic approach to property transactions, advising on joint ventures, licensing and permits, zoning, insurance, tax, and, when necessary, dispute resolution and litigation. We are also one of the most trusted authorities on environmental law in the region, helping clients to ensure that their developments are compliant and sustainable.
We help clients in all industries, from manufacturing to hospitality, capitalize on opportunities for business success in Southeast Asian markets. Whether it’s helping a new joint venture establish a new factory, securing licenses and permits for a developer to start construction of residential or commercial real estate, or advising investors on land deals, Tilleke & Gibbins is proud to be a catalyst for the smart and sustainable development of Southeast Asia.
Regulatory affairs: Our dynamic regulatory affairs group is built on decades of practice in the region and is committed to keeping pace with discovery and innovation. Our client teams are led by experienced attorneys and specialized practitioners and include, as appropriate to the client and its industry, pharmacists, agricultural consultants, and other regulatory specialists. We guide our clients through the layers of formal and informal rules, policies, and procedures, and help our clients forge constructive relationships with regulatory authorities.
We assist with the registration and prosecution of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology products, food and food supplements, narcotic and psychotropic substances, medical devices, cosmetics, hazardous substances, and animal and crop health products with national food and drug agencies and agricultural regulators.
Our practice spans the following disciplines:
- Clinical trials and consumer testing
- Registration with public health authorities
- FDA import, export, and manufacturing licenses
- Crop care registration with agricultural regulatory authorities
- Animal, aquatic, and hazardous substance registration
- Import, export, and manufacturing licenses
- Holding licenses
- Regulatory compliance and maintenance
- Labeling and advertising clearance
- Intellectual property
Tax: Tilleke & Gibbins is consistently recognized as a top tax practice across Southeast Asia. The Legal 500 Asia Pacific credits the practice, headquartered in Thailand, with “excellent levels of service,” “prompt response times,” and “clear and well-structured advice.”
We dedicate our thorough understanding of the region’s tax regimes to helping clients achieve their business objectives, while also maximizing tax benefits and minimizing tax liabilities. We advise on an array of tax matters, including customs duties, excise tax, specific business tax, transfer pricing, petroleum income tax, corporate income tax, property and land tax, tax planning, double taxation treaties, personal income tax, stamp duties, signboard tax, and value added tax (VAT).
Market leaders in diverse sectors—including financial, manufacturing, consumer goods, construction, and energy—seek our advice in tax matters that span the spectrum of business activities. Our strategic approach to tax advice protects your commercial interests in the region and ensures that your business in Southeast Asia remains tax-efficient, well structured, and sustainable.
Technology: Our experts handle key issues and developments shaping the technology sector today, including emerging and swiftly evolving areas such as privacy and data protection, IT infrastructure, embedded technologies, the Internet of Things, data centers, fintech, insurtech, regtech, digital currency, ICOs, crowdfunding, and more.
Please browse the case studies on our website to read about how we have helped various clients over the years.
Thailand (Bangkok): since 1890, Tilleke & Gibbins’ head office has been located in Bangkok, Thailand’s center of commerce, serving the drivers of the regional economy, from regional operating headquarters to manufacturing conglomerates to new entrants in the Southeast Asian market. The Bangkok office offers unparalleled legal representation in the areas of commercial transactions and M&A, corporate services, dispute resolution and litigation, and intellectual property. We are also recognized by independent third parties for excellence in the fields of tax, regulatory affairs, transportation and logistics, technology, multimedia, and communications, and banking and finance.
Cambodia (Phnom Penh): built on a strong local foundation, the Cambodia practice offers a team of dedicated Khmer advisors who draw on the international expertise of the Bangkok office to provide advice on intellectual property, licensing, and regulatory issues. Among a range of industries, the team in Phnom Penh also specializes in sectors including franchising, life sciences, and high technology.
Indonesia (Jakarta): the Jakarta office, which operates as a dedicated intellectual property agency, brings Tilleke & Gibbins’ high standards of quality and client care to the Indonesian market. Leading multinational clients depend on our Indonesia team to protect their patents, trademarks, copyright, and other IP rights. Our team of qualified intellectual property consultants assists clients with patent, utility model, design, and trademark applications and registrations, renewals, searches, responses to office actions, oppositions, cancellations, recordal of license agreements, due diligence, watch services, copyright recordation, and a wide range of other services to help you manage your portfolio of intellectual assets.
Laos (Vientiane): the Vientiane practice provides legal advice for foreign investors in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. With particular expertise in intellectual property law, our team has assisted hundreds of multinational corporations with trademark and patent registration and enforcement in Laos. Building on our expertise in IP law, the team in Laos is also well positioned to work with local associates to advise clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters, from company formation to projects and infrastructure to labor and employment issues.
Myanmar (Yangon): the Tilleke & Gibbins team in Yangon assists new market entrants to navigate this unfamiliar jurisdiction. As the Myanmar government pushes forward with establishing new legal frameworks governing how investors can operate businesses, our team provides the practical, on-the-ground experience necessary to meet business objectives in the country. Backed by the expertise of the Bangkok office, our Myanmar office has particular strength in the area of intellectual property, protecting and defending the building blocks of domestic and international businesses.
Vietnam (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City): Tilleke & Gibbins has been practicing law in Vietnam since becoming the first foreign law firm to be granted a license to establish a representative office in Vietnam in 1992. With two office locations in the hubs of both the Northern and Southern parts of the country, Tilleke & Gibbins helps businesses capitalize on Vietnam’s abundant trade and investment opportunities. The Vietnam teams play a part in this true emerging market, by providing a full array of legal services spanning virtually all industries and practice areas. The Vietnam offices have been recognized by top legal publications and directories in the areas of trademarks and patents, construction and real estate, corporate and M&A, banking and finance, dispute resolution, employment, and technology.
|Competition and Trade, Compliance and Investigations||Michael Ramirezemail@example.com||+66 2056 5794|
|Aviation, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute Resolution and Litigation||John Frangosfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5790|
|Aviation, Banking and Finance, Capital Markets,||Santhapat Perieraemail@example.com||+66 2056 5995|
|Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Property||Cynthia Pornavalaifirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5559|
|Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Consumers Product, Competition and Trade, Corporate/M&A, Tax||Kobkit Thienpreechaemail@example.com||+66 2056 5534|
|Consumers Product,||Wiramrudee (Pink) Mokkhavesafirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5873|
|Corporate/M&A,||Charunun Sathitsuksomboonemail@example.com||+66 2056 5541|
|Dispute Resolution and Litigation||Tiziana Sucharitkulfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5777|
|Dispute Resolution and Litigation||Thawat Damsaemail@example.com||+66 2056 5500|
|Employment||Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerutfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5588|
|Employment||Chusert Supasitthumrongemail@example.com||+66 2056 5793|
|Insurance||Eric M. Meyerfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5797|
|Insurance||Noppramart Thammateeradaychoemail@example.com||+66 2653 5790|
|Intellectual Property||Darani Vachanavuttivongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5888|
|Life Sciences, Intellectual Property, Regulatory Affairs||Alan Adcockemail@example.com||+66 2056 5871|
|Property||Chaiwat Keratisuthisathornfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5507|
|Life Sciences, Regulatory affairs||Atthachai Homhuanemail@example.com||+66 2056 5610|
|Energy||Supasit Boonsanongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5660|
|Technology||Suebsiri Taweeponemail@example.com||+66 2056 5877|
Meet The Team(s)
|Mr Alan Adcock||Partner Practice Areas: Intellectual Property, Commercial Transactions and M&A, Life Sciences, Regulatory…||View Profile|
|Mr Supasit Boonsanong||Partner and Head of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Energy Practice Practice Areas: Energy,…||View Profile|
|Charuwan Charoonchitsathian||Partner||View Profile|
|Athistha (Nop) Chitranukroh||Partner and Director, Corporate and Commercial||View Profile|
|Mr Thawat Damsa-ard||Partner and Chief Litigator Practice Areas: Competition and Trade; Compliance and Investigations;…||View Profile|
|Mr Somboon Earterasarun||Partner Practice Areas: Consumer Products, Intellectual Property||View Profile|
|Mr John Frangos||Partner and Director, Dispute Resolution Practice Areas: Aviation, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute…||View Profile|
|Mr Nandana Indananda||Partner Practice Areas: Intellectual Property, Technology, Multimedia, and Communications, Dispute Resolution and…||View Profile|
|Ms Sukontip Jitmongkolthong||Partner Practice Areas: Intellectual Property||View Profile|
|Mr Chaiwat Keratisuthisathorn||Partner and Head of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Property Practice Practice Areas: Corporate/M&A,…||View Profile|
|Ms Yaowarote Klinboon||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Nopparat Lalitkomon||Senior Associate Practice Areas: Technology, Banking and Finance, Competition and Trade, Corporate/M&A,…||View Profile|
|Mr David Lyman||Chairman and Chief Values OfficerPractice Areas: Management, Client Relations and Development, Dispute…||View Profile|
|Mr Eric M. Meyer||Consultant Practice Areas: Consumer Products, Insurance, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute Resolution and…||View Profile|
|Ms Wiramrudee (Pink) Mokkhavesa||Partner Practice Areas: Consumer Products, Intellectual Property,||View Profile|
|Niti Muangkote||Senior Associate||View Profile|
|Mr Santhapat Periera||Partner Practice Areas: Banking and Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A, Energy and Natural Resources,…||View Profile|
|Ms Cynthia M. Pornavalai||Counsel Practice Areas: Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Insolvency, Bankruptcy, and Restructuring, Trade…||View Profile|
|Mr Michael Ramirez||Counsel Practice Areas: Competition and Trade, Compliance and Investigations, Dispute Resolution and…||View Profile|
|Ms Charunun Sathitsuksomboon||Partner Practice Area: Corporate/M&A, Competition and Trade, Consumer Products||View Profile|
|Ms Tiziana Sucharitkul||Managing Partner Practice Areas: Litigation, Arbitration, and Dispute Resolution; Commercial Law||View Profile|
|Auaychai Sukawong||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Prisna Sungwanna||Partner Practice Areas: Aviation, Energy, Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Employment, Property||View Profile|
|Mr Chusert Supasitthumrong||Partner Practice Areas: Dispute Resolution, Litigation, Employment, Product Liability and Consumers Claims,…||View Profile|
|Mr Suebsiri Taweepon||Partner Practice Areas: Intellectual Property; Technology, Multimedia, and Communications; Dispute Resolution and…||View Profile|
|Mr Kasamesunt Teerasitsathaporn||Partner Practice Areas: Dispute Resolution and Litigation, Customs Disputes, Complex Civil and…||View Profile|
|Ms Noppramart Thammateeradaycho||Partner Practice Areas: Insurance, Technology, Competition and Trade, Dispute Resolution and Litigation||View Profile|
|Mr Kobkit Thienpreecha||Partner Practice Areas: Corporate Services, Commercial Transactions and M&A, Capital Market Compliance…||View Profile|
|Mr Joseph Tomkiewicz||Partner and Co-Chair of Tilleke & Gibbins’ Energy PracticePractice Areas: Energy, Corporate/M&A||View Profile|
|Mrs Darani Vachanavuttivong||Managing Partner and Managing Director of Intellectual Property Department Practice Area: Intellectual…||View Profile|
|Ms Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerut||Partner Practice Areas: Labor and Employment, Private Client Services, Transportation and Logistics,…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 200+ at this office : 111
LanguagesBahasa Indonesia Bahasa Malaysia Burmese Chinese (Putonghua) Dutch English Filipino French German Italian Japanese Khmer Korean Lao Thai Vietnamese Spanish
MembershipsLex Mundi Multilaw Transatlantic Law International
Press Releases7th December 2022 Tilleke & Gibbins is pleased to announce that it has bolstered the capabilities of its Corporate & Commercial team in Vietnam with the hire of Tram Ngoc Bich Nguyen as a partner.
11th May 2022 Tilleke & Gibbins is pleased to announce the addition of tax law heavyweights Auaychai Sukawong and Chanattorn Thunyaluck to the firm’s tax practice. Auaychai joins the firm as a partner and head of the firm’s regional tax practice, and Chanattorn joins as a senior associate in the firm’s Bangkok office.
4th January 2022 We are pleased to announce that David Lyman, Chairman and Chief Values Officer at Tilleke & Gibbins, was officially appointed as a Member (5th Class) of the Most Admirable Order of Direkgunabhorn during a ceremony at Buakeaw Hall in the Ministry of Foreign of Affairs on December 15, 2021.
David Lyman Receives Royal Decoration from HM King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua of Thailand5th July 2021 On June 21, 2021, Thailand’s Government Gazette announced that His Majesty the King of Thailand has conferred a royal decoration on David Lyman, Chairman and Chief Values Officer of regional Southeast Asian law firm Tilleke & Gibbins, for his lifelong dedication to the improvement of the Thai nation and its relations with the United States.
Legal Developments21st September 2021 Tilleke & Gibbins is pleased to announce that it has further strengthened its capabilities with the hire of Derrick Khoo as a partner in the regional Corporate/M&A team, where his cross-border transactional experience in handling complex legal matters amidst challenging legal and regulatory environments will facilitate the firm’s clients to achieve their business objectives in the ASEAN region.
22nd October 2020 The Myanmar Customs Department (MCD) organized another Intellectual Property Awareness and Product Identification Workshop at its Customs Training School in Yangon on August 6, 2020, for its frontline customs officers. Such workshops are held numerous times every year, serving as a platform for foreign brand owners and their local representatives to educate and update the enforcement officers on methods for differentiating their genuine products from counterfeits and imitations when inspecting suspicious shipments at ports of entry into the country. The training sessions are also useful in encouraging collaborative discourse between the private and public sectors to improve the efficiency of their joint intellectual property rights enforcement efforts.
5th October 2020 Recent amendments to Thailand’s Civil Procedure Code (CPC) will allow parties to submit a matter for court-supervised mediation prior to the actual filing of the case. Encouraging mediation prior to filing a complaint is intended to save time and resources that would otherwise be expended on a trial.
- Legal Market Overview
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Customs and international trade
- Projects and energy
- Real estate and construction
- Restructuring and insolvency