Firm Profile > Tilleke & Gibbins > Bangkok, Thailand
Tilleke & Gibbins Offices
SUPALAI GRAND TOWER, 26 F
1011 RAMA 3 ROAD, CHONGNONSI, YANNAWA
Tilleke & Gibbins > The Legal 500 Rankings
Tilleke & Gibbins advises on customs classifications and valuations, import and export licensing and international tax structuring. Senior consultant Michael Ramirez leads the contentious customs and trade team, and has wide-ranging experience in customs and excise law. Of recent note, Piyanuj Ratprasatporn advised Oculus VR on the import of their VR products into Thailand, which presented particular difficulties given the uncertain regulatory treatment of virtual reality hardware.
Intellectual property Tier 1
Tilleke & Gibbins' practice group advises across the spectrum of IP law, from regulation to commercialisation and management to litigation and enforcement. In particular, the team is most active in the tech, film and media sectors. The department is jointly led by Darani Vachanavuttivong and Alan Adcock. Vachanavuttivong advises Sundaram-Clayton on its global strategies for its varied IP portfolio, while Adcock, who focuses on patent work, has particular expertise in the agrochemical and pharmaceutical sectors. Also recommended are Nandana Indananda, who specialises in IP litigation, Sukontip Jitmongkolthong, who handles pre-litigation and enforcement matters and is particularly active in the automotive and electronics sectors, and Somboon Earterasarun, who also has experience in trade mark enforcement.
‘Experts on working with a foreign company which is not familiar with Thailand.’
‘Good and effective communication channel to the government, allowing us we have successfully met with right officials who are in charge.’
‘Wiramrudee Mokkhavesa is an IP lawyer who understands the subject matter thoroughly and can give us appropriate advice.’
Philip Morris International
Toshiba Carrier Corporation
Labour and employment Tier 1
Tilleke & Gibbins handles contentious issues including employment claims and labour relations disputes, and also advises on non-contentious matters such as immigration, commercial transactions relating to labour expansion, and employment regulations. The team is jointly headed by Chusert Supasitthumrong, who has experience in multiparty employment disputes in the Labour Court and Supreme Court of Thailand, and Pimvimol Vipamaneerut, who focuses on HR-related work, labour relations, and workers compensation.
Tax Tier 1
Tilleke & Gibbins provides an range of tax services including tax planning, corporate advisory and transactional support, and tax litigation. Indeed, the team's regularly advises on land taxation and income tax, transfer pricing and custom duties. Practice head Sriwan Puapondh has particular expertise in expertise in international tax planning, and recently advised Kosei Aluminium on tax liability and transfer pricing issues in relation to its corporate reorganisation. Another key figure is Kasma Visitkitjakarn, a go-to lawyer for the offshore investment and private client estate planning work.
TMT Tier 1
Tilleke & Gibbins is highly regarded in the TMT space, where it has deep experience in data privacy, cyber security and fintech, among others areas. In addition, the firm has considerable strengths in IP, which ties in with its service offering in the media and entertainment sector. Key figures include Athistha Chitranukroh, who acts for local and international clients in the insurance and fintech sectors; Suebsiri Taweepon, who handles contentious and non-contentious matters in the computer software space; and Jeffrey Blatt, who has experience in a range of TMT matters including privacy, broadcasting, encryption, and digital and film media. David Duncan is also recommended.
Tilleke & Gibbins has become increasingly prominent in the Thai corporate law market, often handling the Thai law aspects of major multi-jurisdictional M&A. Moreover, the firm leads on high-value inbound and outbound M&A in its own right, and also has experience of cross-border business restructuring mandates and commercial agreements. Newly promoted deputy director of the practice Athistha Chitranukroh advised Marsh and McLennan on the Thai aspects of its global $5.6bn acquisition of Jardine Lloyd Thompson group, and co-deputy director Kobkit Thienpreecha handled corporate transactions for private entrepreneurs, traders and multinational manufacturers. Charunun Sathitsuksomboon has expertise in foreign direct investment, restructuring and e-commerce, and Kasma Visitkitjakarn is also recommended.
‘A strong industry practice’
‘Very happy with the advice received, which has included corporate and commercial services’
‘The service has been on-point, pragmatic and cost-effective’
‘Professional, knowledgeable, approachable’
‘Piyanuj Ratprasatporn is excellent; her responses are always on time and helpful’
Bain Capital Private Equity
GE Medical Systems
Jardine Lloyd Thompson Asia
Dispute resolution Tier 2
Tilleke & Gibbins' dispute resolution group is known for its work in class actions and product liability claims, employment disputes and and insurance disputes. Further, the team has also developed expertise in the energy and aviation sectors. The practice is jointly headed by Thawat Damsa-ard, who is well regarded for his experience in foreign investment disputes, and John Frangos, who is regularly involved in contentious matters in the aviation, energy and construction industries. Also recommended is employment and labour law specialist Chusert Supasitthumrong.
Amec Foster Wheeler
Japan Transport Engineering Company
Insurance Tier 2
Tilleke & Gibbins' practice group handles a range of contentious and non-contentious issues for insurers, reinsurers, brokers and employers. Pactice head Athistha Chitranukroh advises on risk assessment, compliance and insurtech matters, and recently acted for AIG in relation to a $870m reinsurance placement for a dam in Laos. Ittirote Klinboon heads the contentious insurance practice and has a strong track record of acting for multinational insurers and reinsurers in the Thai courts.
Tilleke & Gibbins team is made up of insurance specialists that serve South Asia , not just Thailand. The main strength is the synergy that their contentious team and non-contentious team work as ‘one’ team – very customer centric – they act as one-stop shop for international and local insurers for Thailand and other SEA jurisdictions.’
‘TG’s team has people that actually came from the industry, uniquely understanding the local market, and regional markets, strong connection with local insurance regulator (OIC), as well as the supervising authority – the Ministry of Finance. TG’s team communicates to their clients, us, even the laws are still at a very early stage.’
‘The team is led by Athistha who is one of the key reasons why FWD and other market leaders move from other firms to TG. Our legal team knows her personally since she was a group general counsel for an international insurer in Thailand.’
‘Athistha is the only insurance lawyer that actually came from the local insurance industry. She truly understand insurance and market practice – not just the law. She has a ‘super’ strong connection with the OIC and the insurance associations. She is fast, responsive with strong commercial mind.’
‘Athistha is very knowledgeable on the laws of Thailand and also offers practical and commercially-sound advice.’
ThaiRe Life Assurance
FWD Life Insurance
Transport Tier 2
Tilleke & Gibbins acts for ship owners, port operators, airlines, banks and air cargo firms in a range of contentious and non-contentious matters including aviation disputes, shipping matters and marine insurance. Chinachart Vatanasuchart and Pimvimol Vipamaneerut jointly lead the shipping team, which is regularly instructed by shipbuilders and charterparties. John Frangos, newly promoted deputy director of the firm's dispute resolution practice, also heads the firm's aviation practice, where he advises on disputes, civil aviation regulation, and leasing and financing in the aviation sector.
Banking and finance Tier 3
Tilleke & Gibbins' banking and finance practice has long-standing relationships with domestic and international financial institutions and investors, which it provides with a litany of regulatory advice, including being involved in the development fintech products. Key figures in the practice group include Santhapat Periera, who specialises in structured loan and other bank lending transactions, and Cynthia M. Pornavalai, who is instructed by investors and conventional lenders. Corporate and commercial partner Kobkit Thienpreecha is also active in the banking space.
Brown Brothers Harriman
China Development Bank
First State Investments
LINE Pay Corporation
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Capital markets Tier 3
Tilleke & Gibbins handles debt and equity capital markets transactions and also has a strong regulatory practice, which advises the firm's corporate client base on reporting obligations and related issues governed by the SEC. The team is jointly led by Santhapat Periera, who is regularly involved in SET filings and has been involved in Thai IPOs, and Kobkit Thienpreecha, who is able to provide transactional and regulatory advice on cross-border securities offerings.
Bain Capital Private Equity
Brown Brothers Harriman
China Development Bank
First State Investments
Tilleke & Gibbins has a track record of success at the TAI and often acts as local counsel in UNCITRAL and ICC arbitration with a Thai law element. The practice group is jointly led by John Frangos and Michael Ramirez, the latter of whom is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has experience representing clients in regional enforcement proceedings. Recent highlights included Frangos acting for the Japan Transport Engineering company in arbitration regarding the manufacture and supply of rail cars for a subway line in Bangkok. Thawat Damsa-ard is also recommended.
East Japan Railway Company
Everest Reinsurance Company
Japan Transport Engineering Company
Projects and energy Tier 3
Tilleke & Gibbins' practice works on financing and licensing in regards to PPP's, development projects, EPC's and regulatory compliance. Department co-head Joseph Tomkiewicz, who joined the firm in June 2019, specialises in energy-related transactional and litigation work, and also has experience working with a variety government bodies. Co-head Supasit Boonsanong, who also joined the firm in June 2019, handles cross-border energy transactions and project development mandates for companies in the renewables space, and has also advised governmental authorities on legislative changes. Cynthia M. Pornavalai also co-heads the team.
Department of Mineral Fuels
Petroleum Institue of Thailand
Real estate and construction Tier 3
Tilleke & Gibbins handles a wide range of real estate and construction matters, including property development, real estate acquisitions and property leasing for domestic and multinational companies. The practice group is headed by Cynthia M. Pornavalai, who advises on environmental issues in addition to property matters. Property acquisition expert Chaiwat Keratisuthisathorn is also recommended.
JC Kevin Development
The Walt Disney Company
Tilleke & Gibbins > Firm Profile
Tilleke & Gibbins is a leading Southeast Asian regional law firm with over 160 lawyers and consultants practicing in Bangkok, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Phnom Penh, Vientiane, and Yangon. Established in 1890, Tilleke & Gibbins has grown into the largest independent law firm in Thailand and a leading international firm in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam due to client focus, regional expertise, and international vision.
The firm represents top investors and high-growth companies that drive economic expansion in Asia in the key areas of commercial transactions and M&A, dispute resolution and litigation, and intellectual property, including world-leading corporate clients in the fields of pharmaceuticals and healthcare, energy and infrastructure, consumer goods and retailing, manufacturing, financial services, information technology, and telecommunications.
Our Practice Areas
- Anti-corruption: advises clients on local anti-corruption laws, the FCPA, and the UK Bribery Act. Designs and implements compliance programs. Conducts due diligence, performs anti-corruption risk assessments, oversees internal corporate investigations, and assists with asset recovery and protection.
- Banking and finance: provides assistance to financial institutions, investors, government entities, and businesses on debt and equity markets, regulatory compliance, financial instruments, workouts, and restructurings.
- Corporate, commercial and M&A: helps clients structure and implement strategic transactions, and advises investors on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, and other vehicles for equity investment.
- Dispute resolution and litigation: offers clients the largest dispute resolution team in Thailand and over 120 years of litigating the most challenging cases in the region.
- Employment: a leader in providing strategic employment advice and assistance with labor-management relations, immigration, and labor litigation.
- Energy and infrastructure: advises global leaders on oil and gas, renewable energy, project finance, infrastructure development, public-private partnerships, and large-scale projects such as airports, railways, and roads.
- Insurance: highly experienced in complex property and casualty coverage disputes, property damage and business interruption claims, cross-border reinsurance disputes, professional indemnity and D&O claims, liability, market entry and regional shared services operations, regulatory compliance, agreements, data privacy and outsourcing, policy wording advice and localisation, and underwriting risk assessment.
- Intellectual property: exceptional expertise in IP registration and enforcement, commercialisation, and litigation. Recognised by all major legal directories as a leading IP practice in the region.
- Property: handles the full range of work involving real estate, property, and construction. Expertise covers sales, purchases, mortgages, leasing, property due diligence, and property development.
- Regulatory affairs: paves the way for life sciences clients to enter and excel in markets throughout Southeast Asia. Assists with research and development, clinical trials, registration, commercialisation, and technology transfer. Team includes pharmacists, agricultural consultants, and other regulatory specialists.
- Tax: top-ranked practice advises on customs duties, excise tax, specific business tax, transfer pricing, petroleum income tax, corporate income tax, property and land tax, tax planning, double taxation treaties, personal income tax, stamp duties, signboard tax, and value added tax.
- Technology, media, and telecommunications: market-leading team with expertise in technology procurement, development, licensing, transfer, and protection; communication, media, and entertainment; and data privacy and cyber security.
- Thailand (Bangkok): since 1890, Tilleke & Gibbins’ head office has been located in Bangkok, Thailand’s center of commerce, serving the drivers of the regional economy, from regional operating headquarters to manufacturing conglomerates to new entrants in the Southeast Asian market. The Bangkok office offers unparalleled legal representation in the areas of commercial transactions and M&A, corporate services, dispute resolution and litigation, and intellectual property. We are also recognized by independent third parties for excellence in the fields of tax, regulatory affairs, transportation and logistics, technology, multimedia, and communications, and banking and finance.
- Cambodia (Phnom Penh): built on a strong local foundation, the Cambodia practice offers a team of dedicated Khmer advisors who draw on the international expertise of the Bangkok office to provide advice on intellectual property, licensing, and regulatory issues. Among a range of industries, the team in Phnom Penh also specializes in sectors including franchising, life sciences, and high technology.
- Indonesia (Jakarta): the Jakarta office, which operates as a dedicated intellectual property agency, brings Tilleke & Gibbins’ high standards of quality and client care to the Indonesian market. Leading multinational clients depend on our Indonesia team to protect their patents, trademarks, copyright, and other IP rights. Our team of qualified intellectual property consultants assists clients with patent, utility model, design, and trademark applications and registrations, renewals, searches, responses to office actions, oppositions, cancellations, recordal of license agreements, due diligence, watch services, copyright recordation, and a wide range of other services to help you manage your portfolio of intellectual assets.
- Laos (Vientiane): the Vientiane practice provides legal advice for foreign investors in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic. With particular expertise in intellectual property law, our team has assisted hundreds of multinational corporations with trademark and patent registration and enforcement in Laos. Building on our expertise in IP law, the team in Laos is also well positioned to work with local associates to advise clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters, from company formation to projects and infrastructure to labor and employment issues.
- Myanmar (Yangon): the Tilleke & Gibbins team in Yangon assists new market entrants to navigate this unfamiliar jurisdiction. As the Myanmar government pushes forward with establishing new legal frameworks governing how investors can operate businesses, our team provides the practical, on-the-ground experience necessary to meet business objectives in the country. Backed by the expertise of the Bangkok office, our Myanmar office has particular strength in the area of intellectual property, protecting and defending the building blocks of domestic and international businesses.
- Vietnam (Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh): Tilleke & Gibbins has been practicing law in Vietnam since becoming the first foreign law firm to be granted a license to establish a representative office in Vietnam in 1992. With two office locations in the hubs of both the Northern and Southern parts of the country, Tilleke & Gibbins helps businesses capitalize on Vietnam’s abundant trade and investment opportunities. The Vietnam teams play a part in this true emerging market, by providing a full array of legal services, including commercial transactions and M&A, corporate services, telecommunications and technology, franchising, and intellectual property. The Vietnam offices have been recognized by top legal publications and directories in the areas of trademarks and patents, construction and real estate, corporate and M&A, and banking and finance.
|Anti-corruption||Michael Ramirezfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5794|
|Anti-corruption||John Frangosemail@example.com||+66 2056 5790|
|Banking and finance||Santhapat Perierafirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5995|
|Banking and finance||Cynthia Pornavalaiemail@example.com||+66 2056 5559|
|Corporate, commercial and M&A||Piyanuj (Lui) Ratprasatpornfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5533|
|Corporate, commercial and M&A||Kobkit Thienpreechaemail@example.com||+66 2056 5534|
|Corporate, commercial and M&A||Charunun Sathitsuksomboonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5541|
|Dispute resolution and litigation||Tiziana Sucharitkulemail@example.com||+66 2056 5777|
|Dispute resolution and litigation||Thawat Damsafirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5500|
|Employment||Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerutemail@example.com||+66 2056 5588|
|Employment||Chusert Supasitthumrongfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5793|
|Energy and infrastructure||Cynthia Pornavalaiemail@example.com||+66 2056 5559|
|Energy and infrastructure||David Duncanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5538|
|Insurance||Athistha (Nop) Chitranukrohemail@example.com||+66 2056 5600|
|Insurance||Ittirote Klinboonfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5798|
|Intellectual property||Darani Vachanavuttivongemail@example.com||+66 2056 5888|
|Intellectual property||Alan Adcockfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5871|
|Property||Cynthia Pornavalaiemail@example.com||+66 2056 5559|
|Property||Chaiwat Keratisuthisathornfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5507|
|Regulatory affairs||Alan Adcockemail@example.com||+66 2056 5871|
|Regulatory affairs||Atthachai Homhuanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5610|
|Tax||Sriwan Puapondhemail@example.com||+66 2056 5700|
|Tax||Piyanuj (Lui) Ratprasatpornfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5533|
|Technology, media, and telecommunications||Jeffrey J Blattemail@example.com||+66 2056 5644|
|Technology, media, and telecommunications||David Duncanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+66 2056 5538|
|Mr Alan Adcock||View Profile|
|Mr Thawat Damsa-ard||View Profile|
|Mr Nandana Indananda||View Profile|
|Ms Sukontip Jitmongkolthong||View Profile|
|Mr David Lyman||View Profile|
|Mr Santhapat Periera||View Profile|
|Ms Cynthia M. Pornavalai||View Profile|
|Ms Piyanuj (Lui) Ratprasatporn||View Profile|
|Ms Charunun Sathitsuksomboon||View Profile|
|Ms Tiziana Sucharitkul||View Profile|
|Mr Chusert Supasitthumrong||View Profile|
|Mr Suebsiri Taweepon||View Profile|
|Mr Kasamesunt Teerasitsathaporn||View Profile|
|Mr Kobkit Thienpreecha||View Profile|
|Mrs Darani Vachanavuttivong||View Profile|
|Mr Chinachart Vatanasuchart||View Profile|
|Ms Pimvimol (June) Vipamaneerut||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 170 at this office : 104
LanguagesBahasa Indonesia Bahasa Malaysia Burmese Chinese (Putonghua) Dutch English Filipino French German Italian Japanese Khmer Korean Lao Thai Vietnamese Spanish
MembershipsLex Mundi Multilaw SCG Legal Transatlantic Law International
Thailand: Patent Litigation
Published: December 2019
Authors: Nandana Indananda Siraprapha Rungpry
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Patent Litigation laws and regulations that may occur in Thailand.
Vietnam: Patent Litigation
Published: November 2019
Authors: Loc Xuan Le Linh Duy Mai Giang Hoang Bach
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Patent Litigation laws and regulations that may occur in Vietnam.