Skrine > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Firm Profile
Level 8, Wisma UOA Damansara
50 JALAN DUNGUN, DAMANSARA HEIGHTS
50490 KUALA LUMPUR
Skrine > The Legal 500 Rankings
Malaysia > Corporate and M&A Tier 1To’ Puan Janet Looi leads Skrine‘s corporate division, which frequently handles high-value domestic and cross-border transactions including joint ventures, acquisitions, takeovers and inbound direct investment. Fariz Abdul Aziz brings expertise in corporate restructurings, as well as sector experience in the oil and gas, renewables, manufacturing and financial services industries. Consultant Theresa Chong specialises in advising multinational clients looking to invest into Malaysia and cross-border loans against Malaysian assets. Other key areas of work for the firm include compliance advice, corporate liability provisions, corporate governance and regulatory work.
‘The Skrine team understands the client’s needs very well and always provides tailor made advice. Despite the significant time difference they are always available and provide quick responses.’
‘Fariz Abdul Aziz has a very deep knowledge of Malaysian (corporate) law and significant M&A and industry experience. He always provides pragmatic solutions to Malaysian law questions.’
Ekuiti Nasional Berhad
Tyson International Holding Company
International Business Machine
Malaysian Technology Development Corporation
Founders (Richardson family)
- Advised BP plc (“BP”) on the Malaysian aspects of its USD 5 billion global sale of its aromatics, acetyls and related businesses to INEOS.
- Acted as lead counsel for Hope Education Group in its acquisition of the Inti Group of Universities and Colleges.
- Advised Tyson International Holding Company (a subsidiary of Tyson Foods, Inc.) on the Malaysian aspects of its strategic partnership with Malayan Flour Mills Berhad.
‘We chose Skrine after trying out many other practices. But once we started with Skrine, everything seemed to click into place for us. Not only were the several teams that we had to deal with extremely professional and attentive, their attentive and very proactive approach has been most appealing. The firm’s charges we also find reasonable when compared to the tremendous amount of time the teams have spent on our matters.’
‘The team is outstanding in the market. I would not hesitate to recommend the team if I have any matter related to the region.’
‘Sharon Chong Tze Ying – I have worked with her since 2015 and her skillset, integrity, intelligence and dedication to the case and client surprises me all the time.’
‘They go the extra mile in delivering the best solutions for the client.’
‘They are brilliant people who take their job seriously. Able to provide advice within tight timelines.’
The Customs and Tax Administration of The Kingdom of Denmark
FIAMM Energy Technology
Gerber Products Company
Mulpha International Berhad
International Business Machines Corporation(IBM)
Marina Bay Sands
Las Vegas Sands Corporation
ING Bank NV
PT Braun Pharmaceuticals Indonesia
Bank of China (Malaysia) Berhad
ICBC Aviation Leasing
Sime Darby Group
Malaysia Airports Group
Hunza Properties Berhad
Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
Ernst & Young
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited
Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Johor Bahru (Land Administrator of Johor Bahru)
State of Kelantan, Director of Land and Mines and Director of the Forestry Department of Kelantan
Keller (M) Sdn Bhd
Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Dhaya Maju LTAT Sdn Bhd
Treasury Wine Estates
1Malaysia Development Berhad
PT Sandipala Arthaputra
Malaysia Airports (Sepang) Sdn Bhd
- Represented the Customs and Tax Administration of the Kingdom of Denmark, the plaintiff in a civil suit against multiple Malaysian entities and their officers to recover approximately RM 1 billion.
- Represented 1Malaysia Development Berhad (a Government Linked Company) and its subsidiaries in an action against the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Razak, former Board members and former senior employees, and another action against Low Teck Jho (Jho Low) and his family members who are alleged to have participated in fraud on 1MDB.
- Acted as counsel for PTD in two Federal Court matters pursuant to written fiats issued by the Johor State Legal Advisor. PTD’s appeal at the Federal Court arising out of land acquisition for the construction of a centralised sewerage treatment plant (CSTP) in a RM240 million rehabilitation and rejuvenation project of the upstream Sungai Segget, Johor Bahru, Johor (Project).
Other key lawyers:
‘Skrine are extremely accessible and a pleasure to instruct. Hong Koon especially is a talented but also a cheerful IP lawyer.’
‘The team is lead by experienced practitioners such as Khoo Guan Huat and Charmayne Ong. The strength of the team lies in their expertise in the different types of IP work that they are engaged with.’
‘Khoo Guan Huat and Kuek Pei Yee are good litigators. Joshua Beni Chris Teoh is an up and coming lawyer.’
‘Ms. Teh Hong Koon is our trusted and longtime correspondent in Malaysia. We have developed a good rapport with her over the years and would not hesitate to refer to her work that requires a keen eye for detail.’
‘The team of Skrine is full of highly capable and skilled individuals, their team is quite strong and systematic in the way the work is conducted. The fees of this firm is a bit higher than its peers, though.’
‘The firm efficiently handled our client’s trademark portfolio and was transparent with respect to their process and costs.’
‘Teh Hong Koon on trademark prosecution and Kuek Pei Yee on litigation are both very skilled and go-to individuals in their respective fields.’
Duopharma Biotech Group
Maxsilin Products Sdn Bhd
Kino Brands Pte. Ltd.
Joey Yap Group of Companies
Pirelli & C. S.p.A
Dart Industries Inc
Tupperware Brands Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Radical Galaxy Sdn Bhd
MForce Bike Holdings Sdn Bhd
Passion Trading Sdn Bhd
- Acted for the Duopharma Biotech Group in its patent dispute with Novartis AG concerning a cancer drug-related polymorph patent.
- Acted for prominent Feng Shui and Chinese Metaphysics publisher to carry out enforcement exercises and to protect against digital piracy.
- Acted for Huasin Food Industries Sdn Bhd in its biscuit trademark related dispute with Munchy Food Industry Sdn Bhd.
‘An excellent practice with strong performing lawyers. They are highly responsive and offers commercial advice‘.
‘Siva Kumar Kanagasabai is highly responsive and provides top draw commercial practical advice‘.
‘Selvamalar Alagaratnam’s holistic thinking, calmness and legal acumen make complicated issues resolved with the best outcome‘.
Hess Exploration and Production Malaysia B.V.
Kumpulan Wang Simpanan Pekerja
Germanischer Lloyd Industrial Services Asia Sdn. Bhd.
DNV GL International Sdn. Bhd.
DNV GL Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
Department of Justice, United States of America (DOJ)
Petroleum Geo-Services Exploration (M) Sdn Bhd (PGS)
Big Bad Wolf Sdn. Bhd.
3M Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
Naval Group Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
UST Global (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Acting for Hess Exploration and Production Malaysia B.V. in an RM23m dispute brought by a former contractor relating to employer’s immigration status.
- Acting for Petroleum Geo-Services Exploration (M) Sdn Bhd in an unjust dismissal action in the Industrial Court brought by an expatriate employee following a major global reorganisation exercise.
- Acting for Germanischer Lloyd Industrial Services Asia Sdn. Bhd., DNV GL International Sdn. Bhd., DNV GL Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. in an RM2.6million claim of constructive dismissal in the Industrial Court brought by its former country manager after he was redesignated following the discovery of a widespread practice of inflation of billing to customers in the organisation.
‘Skrine provides very responsive and provides good advice. They are always meeting our clients’ demanding needs and will try to give practical advice‘.
‘Charmaine Ong is excellent and her team of IP and life sciences and technology associates are very impressive‘.
‘Jillian Chia is very responsive and we really appreciate the quick feedback and effort to address our client’s needs‘.
‘Diversified team with many specialisms.’
‘They give practical solutions and advice which are operational friendly.’
AIG Malaysia Insurance Berhad
AXA Affin General Insurance Berhad
Zurich Insurance Malaysia Berhad
Ben Line Agencies (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Cosco Shipping Lines (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Harbour-Link Lines Sdn Bhd
Hyundai Merchant Marine (M) Sdn Bhd; Interasia Lines (M) Sdn Bhd
KMTC Line (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Maersk Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Mediterranean Shipping Company (M) Sdn Bhd
MTT Shipping Sdn Bhd;
Ocean Network Express (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Orient Overseas Container Line (M) Sdn Bhd
S5 Asia Sdn Bhd (Roc. 629450-A)
Wan Hai Lines (M) Sdn Bhd
- Represented AIA Bhd.; AIG Malaysia Insurance Berhad, AXA Affin General Insurance Berhad, and Zurich Insurance Malaysia Berhad in an investigation by the MyCC relating to an agreement to fix the parts trade discount at 25% for six vehicle models.
- Represented the majority of the container operators in the shipping industry (Ben Line Agencies (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd; Cosco Shipping Lines (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd; Harbour-Link Lines Sdn Bhd; Hyundai Merchant Marine (M) Sdn Bhd; Interasia Lines (M) Sdn Bhd; KMTC Line (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd; Maersk Malaysia Sdn Bhd; Mediterranean Shipping Company (M) Sdn Bhd; MTT Shipping Sdn Bhd; Ocean Network Express (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd; Orient Overseas Container Line (M) Sdn Bhd; S5 Asia Sdn Bhd (Roc. 629450-A); Wan Hai Lines (M) Sdn Bhd) in MyCC’s request for information and documents on container deposit charges in Malaysia.
‘Skrine is very resourceful and draws on a wide network of experts. It provides practical advice and solutions for the client and not “law textbook” solutions. ’
‘The team is always available and reliable to deliver quality output or recommendation despite demanding datelines. We value Skrine’s proactivity and absolute dedication to act in the client’s best interest. Recommendations put forward by Skrine is always well thought through and balanced (practical, with supporting evidence or cases), such facilitate a fast and effective decision by the Bank. It is a committed team that we can count on for their effectiveness and efficiency‘.
‘Claudia Cheah – very responsive, fast-thinking, insightful and connects very well with her clients making all of them feel very comfortable. Very approachable, reliable and experienced in offering practical solutions.’
‘Oon Hooi Lin – very experienced, very responsive and committed to providing quality deliverables with short turnaround times.’
‘Claudia Cheah Pek Yee will study a case from all angles and strategise the best approach (especially for combative defendants). She is very hands-on in preparation for trial and will go through all the possible scenarios with the client.’
‘Skrine’s Banking & Finance practice is well-structured and is quick to adapt to technology. Banking & Finance work are often voluminous so a timely update in a manner which is scalable and easy to consume is important for finance companies. The team is eager to collaborate with our in-house legal team in utilising a real-time online update system we have introduced to them to update all the legal suits within their care. They also bill reasonably and for the service they have provided us, it is good value for money.’
‘Claudia Cheah Pek Yee is very responsive to client needs and is generous and detailed in her advice. She is meticulous in her work and has an in-depth knowledge of banking and finance matters. Claudia has successfully argued cases on behalf of the company where the fintech law is unsettled.’
CIMB Bank Berhad
Hong Leong Bank Group
The Bank of Nova Scotia Berhad
Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (EXIM Bank)
Union des Banques Arabes et Francaises, Singapore branch
Bank of China (Malaysia) Berhad
Public Bank Berhad
- Acted for CIMB Bank Berhad as lenders’ Malaysian counsel in relation to a RM100m sustainability-linked loan (SLL) in the form of a revolving credit facility from CIMB Bank Bhd to Sarawak Energy Berhad.
- Acted for Union des Banques Arabes et Francaises in two suits involving negotiable instruments drawn by Agritrade International Private Ltd pursuant to export-import transactions for oil between Agritrade as the seller and two Malaysian companies as the buyers.
- Acted for Malayan Banking Berhad in a series of matters involving Kumpulan Liziz Sdn Bhd and its contract awarders, with combined claim value of RM200m.
International Petroleum Company
PTT Exploration and Production plc
ERS Energy Sdn Bhd
Weir Group Plc
Associated Group Oilfield Services Pte. Ltd.
IPC Malaysia BV
- Advised BP plc (“BP”) on the Malaysian segment of its USD 5 billion global sale of its aromatics, acetyls and related businesses to INEOS.
- Advised PCC SE on all aspect of the sale of interest to PCG and subsequent joint venture arrangements including preparing, negotiating and finalizing the Heads of Agreements, Sale Agreements, Shareholders Agreement, advising on anti-trust approvals.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Repsol in connection with its USD212.5 million sale of E&P assets in Malaysia and in Block 46 CN in Vietnam to a fully-owned subsidiary of Hibiscus Petroleum, a publicly-traded company based in Kuala Lumpur.
‘The team that I work with have a very deep understanding of the dynamics of the different courts. I think the diversity of their background makes their advice well rounded and thoughtful. Especially since navigating government decisions and policies are not easy in this country. ’
‘The team is very responsive to new requests and is able to turn regulatory advice around very quickly and diligently. The team shares updates on progress which is very helpful for client planning purposes.’
‘Very good partner level expertise in key subject matter areas, particularly real estate, construction and corporate. Very responsive and the commercial partners with sector authority are very easy to deal with.’
‘They have a team that support each other and know what the other team members want to say. Truly excellent. ’
‘The Skrine lawyers are able to understand and appreciate the processes and commercial arrangements that regulate the oil and gas industries vis a vis legal requirements. Hence, the solicitor-client relationship is both easy and trusted.’
‘The team has good in-depth knowledge of the industry and gives good options and recommendations on the issues at hand. They are very accessible and respond directly to the client.’
Dhaya Maju LTAT Sdn Bhd
River Retreat Sdn Bhd, an indirect subsidiary of Iskandar Investment Berhad
Mudajaya Corporation Berhad
Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
Petronas Gas Berhad
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Hunza Properties (Gurney) Sdn Bhd, Hunza Properties (Penang) Sdn Bhd, Beachfront Services Sdn Bhd
PT B. Braun Pharmaceuticals Indonesia
Healthy Hostel Sdn Bhd
- Represented Dhaya Maju LTAT Sdn Bhd in two civil suits against the Government of Malaysia, the Minister of Transport Mr Wee Ka Siong, Opus Consultants (M) Sdn Bhd and Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd as the Project Director’s Representative.
- Acted for Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad, a government-linked public company in a high profile construction dispute initiated by Syarikat Pembinaan Anggerik Sdn Bhd.
- Acted for River Retreat Sdn Bhd on the sale and purchase of 200 acres of land located in Iskandar Puteri, Johor with Melia Spring Sdn Bhd.
Malaysia > Shipping Tier 2Skrine’s shipping practice is jointly led by Siva Kumar Kanagasabai who handles contentious matters and enforcement of ship mortgages under conventional and Islamic facilities; and Fariz Abdul Aziz who advises on the full range of non-contentious matters from ship registration to structuring. The team has seen an increase in cases involving the use of securities against cargo and vessels, and matters arising from the insolvency of shipping and oil trading businesses.
‘All Staff in Skrine, especially Mr Siva Kumar Kanagasabai, always aim to maximise their performance levels and strive consistently to improve their clients’ satisfaction. They go above and beyond the call of the duty to produce stellar quality in their work.’
Icon Ship Management Sdn Bhd
Incisive Law LLC (Singapore)
Watson Farley & Williams (London)
Penguin International Limited
- Representing ICON Ship Management in an approximately RM13m claim arising out of a shipbuilding dispute initiated by Labuan Shipyard & Engineering Sdn Bhd in the High Court.
Malaysia > Tax Tier 2Skrine represents clients in court and before the relevant tribunals on tax matters and assists with tax planning, audits and investigations. Litigator Preetha Pillai heads the tax and revenue practice and specialises in representing clients in disputes with the tax authorities. The team regularly supports the corporate, employment and intellectual property teams on the tax aspects of transactions, and works closely with Koon Huan Lim’s customs and trade remedies team and Vijay Raj’s rates and assessment team. Senior associate Manshan Singh is also recommended for contentious matters.
‘Preetha and Desmond have been helpful and make themselves available at short notice to discuss tax legal issues with us.’
Maruichi Sun Steel Joint Stock Company Vina One Steel Manufacturing and Trading Co. Ltd Tay Nam Steel Manufacturing and Trading Co. Ltd.
Natsteel Holdings Pte Ltd Easteel Services (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd
PT IMR ARC
Unistar Industries Sdn Bhd
Guan Chong Berhad
JB Cocoa Sdn Bhd
Malaysia > Islamic finance Tier 3Skrine‘s Islamic finance practice handles a broad range of retail and corporate Islamic finance, project bonds, restructuring and regulatory issues, often acting for Islamic banks. Practice head Sharifah Shafika binti Syed Abbas Alsagoff joined from Mohamed Ridza & Co in December 2020, as did partner Hafidah Aman Hashim. Claudia Cheah is highly experienced in Islamic banking and finance litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Hafidah Aman Hashim
Felda (the Malaysian Federal Land Development Authority)
Maybank Islamic Berhad
Export-Import Bank of Malaysia Berhad (EXIM Bank)
HSBC Amanah Malaysia Berhad
Hong Leong Islamic Bank Berhad
Skrine > Firm Profile
Skrine is one of the largest legal firms in the country with a sterling global reputation, and a wide range of highly-regarded practice groups. The firm is currently led by 48 partners with over 110 lawyers across the corporate, dispute resolution and intellectual property divisions.
Skrine is the exclusive Malaysian member of Lex Mundi, a network of leading independent law firms in over 160 jurisdictions around the world and the Pacific Rim Advisory Council, an international network of 30 top tier independent member law firms.
Skrine has won multiple awards and accolades over the years, including Law Firm of the Year 2021 – Malaysia by Legal 500, Malaysia Law Firm of the Year in 2021 by asialaw, Malaysia Law Firm of the Year in 2020 by Chambers Asia Pacific Awards, Malaysia Firm of the Year 2013 – 2020 by Who’s Who Legal, ranked as leading firm by Chambers Asia Pacific 2011 – 2021, ranked as top tier firm by Legal 500 Asia Pacific from 2014 – 2021, recognised as leading international arbitration firm since 2012 by Global Arbitration Review (GAR) 100, and Malaysian Firm of the Year for 2014 – 2016 by Managing Intellectual Property (Managing IP).
|Head of Litigation and Arbitration||Leong Wai Hongemail@example.com||+603 2081 3820|
|Head of Corporate||To' Puan Janet Looifirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 2081 3812|
|Head of Intellectual Property and TMT||Charmayne Ong Poh Yinemail@example.com||+603 2081 3736|
|Co-head of Construction and Engineering||Ivan Loofirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 2081 3823|
|Co-head of Construction and Engineering||Ashok Kumar Mahadev Ranaiemail@example.com||+603 2081 3744|
|Head of Shipping, Co-head of Employment||Siva Kumar Kanagasabaifirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 2081 3734|
|Co-head of Employment||Selvamalar Alagaratnamemail@example.com||+603 2081 3747|
|Head of Tax and Revenue||Preetha Pillaifirstname.lastname@example.org||+603 2081 3748|