Staiger Attorneys at Law Ltd > Zurich, Switzerland > Firm Profile
Staiger Attorneys at Law Ltd Offices
Staiger Attorneys at Law Ltd > The Legal 500 RankingsStaiger Attorneys at Law Ltd demonstrates know-how in insolvencies, bankruptcy proceedings, and debt restructurings. It often acts on behalf of creditors as well as for foreign companies in enforcing claims against Swiss debtors. The team further impresses with being the liquidator and investigating agent appointed by the Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority FINMA. Marc Bernheim heads up the group, which also includes the ‘efficient and reliable‘ Gaudenz Geiger.
Other key lawyers:
‘Depth and breadth of experience.’
‘Experience, easy to work with, personable.’
‘What makes Staiger’s insolvency and corporate recovery team stand out: The client is served by experienced partners that are very well connected with authorities and other specialists in the field. Advice is practical and pragmatic, with a focus on efficiency and getting things done. Thanks to the structure of the firm, clients get a maximum of partner attention. The team is very responsive and capable of stepping in quickly, pulling the right strings and contacting the right people. No wonder the team is greatly respected in the field.’
‘Gaudenz Geiger is extremely responsive and quick, thorough, always well prepared and organised, a good project manager, well connected in the insolvency and restructuring field, down-to-earth, efficient, reliable, nice to work with. The client gets great value for money.’
Schweizer Kredit AG
Healthtronics Inc. (Austin, Texas)
Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority FINMA
Atrib Switzerland Ltd. in liquidation; Atrib Group in liquidation; Atrib Management Services in liquidation
- Administrating the CHF80m liquidation of Atrib.
- Acting as liquidator and investigating agent on behalf of FINMA for NAV Capital, NAV Capital Partners, and others.
- Acting as commissioner and court-appointed supervisor in the insolvency proceedings of Schweizer Kredit AG.
Switzerland > Private client Tier 3Staiger Attorneys at Law Ltd provides advice on all aspects of private client matters, including wealth, estate and succession planning as well as matrimonial law, family law and charitable foundations. Georgia Fotiou is an ‘ideal business partner for private clients‘ who has ‘strong skills and exceptional knowledge in her field‘, especially in relation to advice on international wealth and estate structures as well as fiduciary services. The ‘technically strong and creative‘ Michael Hamm is ‘simply very good‘, in particular when it comes to inheritance law. Andreas von Erlach has a focus on advising entrepreneurs on wealth and succession planning.
Other key lawyers:
‘Staiger has a highly skilled and well trained team with significant experience in all fields that concern private clients. They have a holistic approach towards the clients and a strong network internationally that enables them to obtain advice on various matters that international clients have.’
‘Georgia Fotiou is a well-respected and serious professional with whom I have cooperated on several occasions. She has good work ethics, a strong academic background and working experience, a direct approach to the client and at the same time strong skills and exceptional knowledge in her field, which makes her the ideal business partner for private clients.’
‘I very much appreciate working with the team. They are technically strong, flexible and deliver speedy input.’
‘Michael Hamm is very senior, technically strong and creative – simply very good.’
Nesinco Group Ltd.
Andritz Soutec Ltd.
L.A.M. – Les Arts Mécaniques SA
New Energy Horizons Ltd.
Private Capital Partners Ltd.
- Advised the family trust (owners) of Les Arts Mécaniques SA (LAM), a Swiss-based Holding Company with several subsidiaries in Europe, the US and Asia, on a restructuring program for the group.
- Advised a family trust as international lead counsel on restructuring their international musical instrument business.
- Advised a HNW family as international lead counsel on the administration and division of an multi-jurisdictional estate.
Switzerland > Public law Tier 3Staiger Attorneys at Law Ltd has a particularly strong focus on advising clients from the energy sector and other regulated network industries, such as energy providers and infrastructure providers, on matters related to electricity, oil and gas as well as carbon dioxide emissions and more. The practice includes regulatory, financing, tax, disputes, and restructurings. Marc Bernheim is experienced in litigation concerning the liberalisation of the Swiss electricity market. Gaudenz Geiger specialises in regulatory advice, including on tariff arrangements and on unbundling of services.
Centralschweizerische Kraftwerke AG
Enerprice Partners AG, Enerprice Service AG
First Energy AG
Swiss Climate Cent Foundation
SN Energie AG
- Represented Centralschweizerische Kraftwerke in a landmark dispute on concession fees as part of grid usage tariffs.
- Advised Enerprice on the Swiss and European regulatory framework of its business and on other public law-related matters.
- Advised First Energy on public law-related matters of its international business.
‘Marc Bernheim is a reliable professional.’
‘Efficient and very concise advice with recommendation.’
‘Désirée Wiesendanger is very knowledgeable and provides outstanding guidance and advice.’
Jefferies International Ltd.
Jefferies (Switzerland) Ltd.
Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority FINMA
Schweizer Kredit AG
Falcon Private Bank Ltd.
- Acted as Jefferies’ outsourced competence centre for combating money laundering issues according to the Swiss Federal Act on Combating Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing.
- Acted as administrator during a debt-restructuring moratorium concerning Schweizer Kredit, advising Schweizer Kredit on regulatory matters in relation to its business activities.
- Advised Falcon Private Bank on the legal and regulatory issues and represented Falcon Private Bank before authorities and courts with respect to client complaints, recovery and white-collar crime.
‘The practice is very well versed in the dispute resolution matters before Swiss courts and can provide helpful guidance into the operation of Swiss judiciary, which is rather complex.’
‘I work primarily with Philipp Kanzig and Jonas Stüssi. Philipp is very knowledgeable and experienced. Jonas is responsive and up to date on client matters. He also has lots of helpful connections.’
‘They have deep experience in disputes, perfect industry knowledge and a very practical approach. Importantly, they are very cooperative, that is why it is very easy to work with them in the team. I know that I can rely on the firm’s advice.’
‘I would like to praise Jonas Stüssi, a partner of Staiger. Jonas is a very reliable lawyer. You can safely trust him with the most complex and sensitive projects. Jonas has excellent understanding of underlying legal issues and the ability to work in critical situations.’
‘Great team. They are very responsive and client-oriented. They think outside the box and are able to find creative solutions. Very easy and pleasant to work with.’
‘Jonas Stüssi is an excellent litigator. He is very persuasive and strong in court. He is creative, assertive and also good at tactics.’
‘Philipp Känzig is very experienced. His strategic abilities are outstanding. There is nothing that can take him by surprise. In difficult stretches, he is almost like an escape artist.’
- Represented a fashion company in a high-profile real estate dispute against an international luxury goods group.
- Representing a private bank in cross-border criminal proceedings, asset tracing and recovery issues, and related litigation.
- Representing a global US insurance company in a cross-border coverage dispute.
‘Our cooperation was conducted to a high standard. We were properly assisted by Yasemin Varel. The team of Staiger was always available.’
Zug Estates AG
- Advising Zug Estates on all corporate matters related to a CHF600m property development project.
- Advising a Turkish industrial group on corporate and commercial matters related to its Swiss operations.
- Advising an international tourism group on a cross-border real estate transaction.
Staiger Attorneys at Law Ltd > Firm Profile
The firm: Staiger Attorneys at Law, established in 1964, is a well-known and highly respected law firm in Zurich, Switzerland’s most important business area. Its practice has traditionally focused on litigation and arbitration, insolvency, banking and private clients. It has also developed a strong expertise in tax, energy law and corporate matters. The firm’s team of highly qualified lawyers acts for top ranking national and international clients from all business sectors, ranging from individuals to small and medium-size businesses as well as global enterprises. Staiger Attorneys at Law is a solution driven law firm with a profound understanding of its clients’ needs in order to provide solution based and cost conscious services.
|Litigation / Arbitration||Philipp Känzig|
|Litigation / Arbitration||Jonas Stüssi|
|Insolvency / Restructuring||Marc Bernheim|
|Insolvency / Restructuring||Gaudenz Geiger|
|Corporate Law||Désirée Wiesendanger|
|Corporate Law||Yasemin Varel|
|Banking and Financial Markets||Désirée Wiesendanger|
|Banking and Financial Markets||Philipp Känzig|
|Employment and Migration||Philipp Haymann|
|Employment and Migration||Rudolf von Erlach|
|Contract Law||Yasemin Varel|
|Contract Law||Andreas von Erlach|
|Energy Law||Marc Bernheim|
|Energy Law||Gaudenz Geiger|
|Private Clients||Michael Hamm|
|Private Clients||Andreas von Erlach|
|Private Clients||Georgia Fotiou|
|Inheritance Law / Family Law||Michael Hamm|
|Inheritance Law / Family Law||Jennifer Dürst-Zimmermann|
|Tax Law||Severine Vogel|
|Tax Law||Georgia Fotiou|