Maverick Advocaten N.V. > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Firm Profile
Maverick Advocaten N.V. Offices
BARBARA STROZZLIAAN 360
1083 HN AMSTERDAM
Maverick Advocaten N.V. > The Legal 500 RankingsMaverick Advocaten N.V. is a Dutch boutique firm specialising in competition, procurement and regulated markets. In relation to competition law, the firm covers cartel investigations and anti-competitive allegations, transactions with a focus on regulated markets involving merger control proceedings and phase II notifications, and competition litigation. The practice is headed by Diederik Schrijvershof, who has experience applying competition expertise to a range of sectors including agriculture, healthcare and life sciences, and public transport, and Martijn van de Hel, ‘a fantastic lawyer’, who specialises in dealing with ACM and EC investigations. Cyriel Ruers recently joined the firm from Allen & Overy LLP and focuses on competition law, market regulation and consumer protection.
Diederik Schrijvershof; Martijn van de Hel
Other key lawyers:
‘The Maverick team has a very pragmatic and responsive attitude. Characterized by dealing quickly and appropriately with cases presented to them.’
‘Maverick Advocaten was recommended to us because of their expertise in competition law. We have experienced working with this office as very pleasant. Their specialism has helped us very well in an IP procedure in which competition law suddenly came as a surprise.’
‘Martijn van de Hel is an easily accessible person with extensive knowledge of competition law. He thinks strategically and is able to quickly and efficiently extract the relevant matters from a file. Due to his very extensive knowledge of the subject matter, he is able to convey the essence of a case to the judges briefly and powerfully. His open character and humor make him a pleasant person to work with.’
‘Martijn van de Hel has the ability to combine his thorough legal knowledge with strategic thinking. A winning combination.’
‘The Maverick team is very well attuned to each other and always has the up-to-date information and the same passion for the business. You also feel the fanaticism and commitment to bring the matter to a successful conclusion.’
‘Martijn is a fantastic lawyer who shows enormous commitment. Martijn is very clear in simply explaining the legal issue in the language of the client. He makes you feel that your case is the only thing he is working on and shows a huge commitment. He never gives up and communicates very clearly what the strengths and weaknesses are in the case. Especially the strengths he brings out and in addition to his drive, he often knows how to strike the right chord with his humor.’
‘Diederik Schrijvershof is a pragmatic thinker, with in depth industry knowledge in healthcare.’
‘The firm is specialised in antitrust law. Its strong focus makes it the most agile and hands on team for specific questions, be they regulatory or tactical. We mainly engage them in mergers and acquisitions and they never say: “Impossible”. Their strength, besides focus, is the quality of the team: extremely responsive and reliable. They have a transparent and fair billing system. The size of the firm, not too small and not too big, enables a quick question & answer session when required.’
European Dental Group
Growers United (Cooperatie DOOR)
Royal Zon (Cooperatie ZON)
Gilde Healthcare Partners B.V.
De Nederlandse GGZ
Federatie Mobiliteitsbedrijven Nederland (FMN)
- Assisting Erasmus MC in obtaining second phase merger clearance from the Dutch Competition Authority in the proposed Erasmus MC/IJsselland merger.
- Assisting international supplier of medical products and healthcare solutions Mediq to obtain second phase merger clearance from the ACM.
- Representing Funda to successfully put an end to ACM investigations into alleged abuse of dominance.
Diederik Schrijvershof; Martijn van de Hel
‘They have knowledge of the current state of affairs and all decisions and publications leading to it in the field of regulatory. When discussing a case they also know right there how to approach the issue. Strong strategy; anticipate what is coming next.’
‘Diederik Schrijvershof has overwhelming knowledge of the healthcare business. Fast thinker, strategically strong. Martijn van de Hel is thorough’
‘Great, accessible, and very knowledgeable team regarding state aid law.’
‘Very focussed and experienced team of anti-trust lawyers. Accessible and proactive. Value for money. Very much into the healthcare sector.’
‘Martijn van de Hel is a to-the-point advisor who understands the complexity of decision-making processes within healthcare organisations. Not afraid to voice his opinion and to provide clients with practical advice.’
‘When it comes to competition law I prefer working with Maverick. They are approachable specialists, creative, quick, to the point and understand what the client needs. Maverick thinks about what is possible and not what is impossible and for that they really distinguish themselves from other law firms.’
‘Martijn van de Hel is a true strategic partner. He is approachable, gives hands-on advice and has a lot of adequate knowledge. He dares to think in possibilities and search for loopholes.’
De Nederlandse GGZ
Gilde Healthcare Partners B.V.
- Assisting Erasmus MC with obtaining second phase merger clearance from the Dutch Competition Authority (ACM) in the proposed merger, Erasmus MC/IJsselland.
- Assisting Mediq, a leading international supplier of medical products and healthcare solutions and part of Advent, to obtain second phase merger clearance from the ACM for the acquisition of Eurocept.
- Obtaining a victory against the NZa at the highest administrative court (CBb) for Arkin, a large mental healthcare provider, by obtaining cost covering funding for acute mental healthcare.
Maverick Advocaten N.V. > Firm Profile
Maverick Advocaten is the independent and leading competition law firm in the Netherlands. The team has vast experience at the top of the Dutch legal profession. The lawyers provide advice on Dutch and EU competition law, including cartels, abuse of dominance, (second phase) merger control, public procurement and cartel damage claims. They also frequently advise clients on economic regulation, consumer law and EU law (including state aid and unfair competition). The team regularly represents clients in proceedings before the Dutch and EU courts, the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets, the European Commission and the Dutch Healthcare Authority. Maverick Advocaten represents clients in a wide variety of sectors, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, agri and food, FMCG, energy, transport, retail, fintech, media and communications.
- Representing FMN in civil proceedings against the Dutch State for the proposed awarding of the main rail network concession to the incumbent railroad company NS and in a complaint procedure with the European Commission about the rail regulation
- Successfully representing 200 hundred GPs in preliminary relief proceedings against healthcare insurer Zilveren Kruis for a higher reimbursement of GP care 2022/2023
- Successfully representing Funda fending of an abuse of dominance complaint of a rival at the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets
- Representing KLM in proceedings against a fine imposed by the Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport (Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate)
- Successfully representing a landlord of retail premises in a dispute with department store Hudson’s Bay regarding an alleged cartel
- Successfully representing MKB Multifunds in proceedings against the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets before the Rotterdam court related to a violation of the Public Enterprises (Market Activities) Act by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
- Assisting Decathlon with the obtainment of a commitment decision of the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets, regarding potentially misleading sustainability claims in the clothing industry
- Assisting the shareholder of Scholle IPN with the sale of Scholle IPN to SIG Combibloc
- Advising Stichting De Bevlogen Huisartsen (Foundation of Inspired General Practitioners) on the Integraal Zorgakkoord (Integral Care Agreement)
- Successfully representing an association of distributors of background music in a claim for abuse of dominance against the Dutch collective management organization Buma/Stemra
- Advising a software company on the first application of the Dutch Investment Screening Bill to potential future participations by (foreign) investors
- Representing a large mental healthcare provider claiming cost-covering reimbursement of acute mental healthcare in 2020 and 2021
- Assisting real-estate traders with a damages claim against the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets after annulment of a fine by the highest court for alleged collusion
- Successfully representing Midac in a damages claim against the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets after annulment of a fine by the court for alleged price-fixing involving forklift truck batteries
- Winning a case of a rental agency before the Dutch Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal in challenging an order subject to a penalty imposed by the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets
- Assisting SPIE with the notification of the acquisition of Strukton Worksphere to the European Commission
- Successfully representing an energy supplier in appealing a fine of EUR 1.25 million imposed by the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets
- Successfully respresenting an HIS/EHR supplier in a preliminary relief proceeding against the Netherlands Authority for Consumers & Markets before the Trade and Industry Appeals Tribunal (‘CBb’)
- Successfully submitting enforcement requests against Zilveren Kruis en VGZ to the Dutch Healthcare Authority on behalf of several healthcare providers
|Dutch and European competition law (including advising on all aspects of horizontal and vertical agreements, merger control, cartel investigations and abuse of dominance cases)||Martijn van de Helemail@example.com||+31 20 238 2002|
|Antitrust and regulatory litigation (proceeding on behalf of a wide range of clients on general competition law issues as well as on sector-specific regulation)||Diederik Schrijvershoffirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 238 2003|
|Regulated markets (such as telecoms, healthcare, energy, post and transport)||Cyriel Ruersemail@example.com||+31 20 238 2015|
|Mr Paul Breithaupt||Paul Breithaupt is a lawyer in the field of European and Dutch…||View Profile|
|Mr Adriaan Craita||Adriaan Craita specialises in Dutch and EU competition law. In addition, he…||View Profile|
|Ms Annabel Kingma||Annabel Kingma is a lawyer in the field of (European) competition law…||View Profile|
|Ms Leah Peeters||Leah is a lawyer in the field of European and Dutch competition…||View Profile|
|Mr Cyriel Ruers||Cyriel Ruers works as a lawyer in the field of public economic…||View Profile|
|Mr Diederik Schrijvershof||Diederik has experience in all areas of European and Dutch competition law.…||View Profile|
|Ms Saskia Stolk||Saskia was admitted to the Dutch Bar in February 2023 and has…||View Profile|
|Mr Martijn van de Hel||Martijn van de Hel has comprehensive experience of European and Dutch competition…||View Profile|