Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm > Budapest, Hungary > Firm Profile
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm Offices
ALKOTÁS U 17-19 (DÉLI POINT)
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm > The Legal 500 RankingsForgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm's practice is jointly led by Gábor Damjanovic and Zoltán Forgó, who are both ‘seasoned lawyers with excellent legal and communication skills‘. Its varied work portfolio covers M&A, sales, joint ventures and restructurings, among other mandates. In addition to generating instructions on a standalone basis, the firm also receives referrals from international firms in relation to the Hungarian aspects of cross-jurisdictional transactions. In 2020, highlights included Damjanovic and Zsófia Füzi assisting Scholz Recycling Group with the planned acquisition of a Hungarian recycling company.
Zoltán Forgó; Gábor Damjanovic
Other key lawyers:
‘Gábor Damjanovic is always a pleasure to work with. The work he has done so far confirms the high quality of services and acumen at Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners. They have always delivered up to, and exceeding our client’s expectations, and we would recommend them anytime.’
‘Both Gábor Damjanovic and Zoltán Forgó are seasoned lawyers with excellent legal and communication skills. It is easy to work with them, we speak the same language (professionally, not Hungarian) and we never had to look for anyone else in Hungary.’
Pacific Drilling S.A.
Pamplona Capital Management
Big Bus Tours
- Continued to represent Obton in acquiring a large solar park portfolio for over €50m. Assisting the client with the intended acquisition of a large number of solar parks scattered around the country and totalling app. 70MW.
- Assisting Fortenova/Agrokor Group with the €615m sale of its the frozen food business in a number of different jurisdictions, including Hungary.
- Advising Holding Soprema, on a cross border transaction aimed at acquiring two companies, one on them incorporated in Hungary.
Hungary > Dispute resolution Tier 2Fielding a ‘knowledgeable‘ and ‘capable’ team, Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm is a top disputes-focused firm, which is known for its representation of blue-chip multinationals such as Allianz Global, Cargill Group and Grifols. Gábor Damjanovic is a highly respected arbitrator with extensive experience of acting in bet-the-company cases under ICC, VIAC and UNCITRAL rules. The practice is also mandated by international law firm seeking local representation.
‘They have a very professional and efficient approach. They are always available and continuously advise us on developments. Their service is first class and they are very competent and capable. They are very knowledgeable and very prompt in providing answers.’
BIG BUS TOURS
Centrope Holdings Limited/EUROVEGAS
Dánia Koncept Kft.
Due A srl
- Continued to act for EUROVEGAS Group in a very high value shareholder dispute, whereby minority shareholders of the project claim an amount exceeding €50m.
- Representing Allianz in investigations and disputes in connection with the fire occurred in the Korda Film Studio in Etyek burning down several sets of the new Robin Hood film series.
- Successfully represented Vinzenz von Paul Kliniken gGmbH Marienhospital Stuttgart in freezing a large amount on a Hungarian bank that was the subject of a fake president fraud.
Hungary > Employment Tier 2Gábor Damjanovic is the lead employment partner at Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm, which acts for a mix of international recruitment agencies, multinational corporates, Hungarian enterprises and senior executives on the full spectrum of employment law matters. The practice is highlighted for its particular expertise in the pharmaceutical sector, and has received significant instructions from new clients such as Tavanta Therapeutics, and Haema Plasma/Grifols Group. Ákos Balázs is highly recommended for business immigration matters.
Other key lawyers:
Big Bus Tours
Allegis Group, Inc.
American Express Global Business Travel
- Advised Fortenova/Agrokor Group on a separation of two business lines in their Hungarian subsidiary (with a view to get ready for a sale of one of the business lines) active in the mineral water industry, including splitting the workforce.
- Assisted Big Bus Tours with a mass dismissal action due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its effect on the tourism sector.
- Continued to advise Velox Digital on business immigration issues, namely in acquiring entry permissions and respective quarantine waivers during the different phases of the pandemic.
JP Morgan Asset Management
Société Générale Luxembourg
- Acted as Hungarian counsel to Pacific Drilling Company LLC, a limited liability company formed in the Cayman Islands, in connection with the due execution, authorisation and enforceability of a committed delayed-draw term loan facility in the maximum principal amount of $80m.
- Assisted Simmons & Simmons UK with post Brexit cross-border guidelines. The guidelines covered the licensing requirements which may apply when offering/providing asset management, private banking, global markets, investment banking and corporate banking products and services to clients in/from Hungary on a cross-border basis.
- Advised Obton A/S, a major Danish PE investor, on numerous refinancings in relation to the large number of solar power plants that the client has acquired in Hungary.
Hungary > Competition Tier 3Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm is regularly instructed to handle the merger control aspects of corporate transactions, particularly by clients in the pharmaceutical, telecoms, logistics and energy sectors. It also advises on restrictive agreements, unfair trade practice cases and cartel investigations before the Competition Authority and the Consumer Protection Authority. Zoltán Forgó and Zsófia Füzi are the lead lawyers.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a practical approach, which is important for the clients. It comes together with efficient service.’
‘Experience in the field of competition law and M&A. High level of understanding and knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and legislation.’
Pacific Drilling S.A.
Scholz Recycling Group
- Continued to represent Obton in acquiring a large solar park portfolio for over €50m.
- Assisting Obton A/S with the acquisition of a portfolio of solar parks with a combined 13MWp.
Hungary > TMT Tier 3
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm > Firm Profile
The firm: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners is one of the leading independent commercial law firms in Hungary. Clients include foreign corporations, the Hungarian businesses of multinational companies and medium to large Hungarian businesses. The firm is typically instructed in complex transactions and legal disputes, cases of a cross-border nature, those demanding high quality English language documentation and/or involving clients who require an international level of service. Whilst the firm provides clients with all the benefits of a full service law firm, it prides itself in an especially strong track record in the fields of M&A and private equity transactions, dispute resolution and employment law.
Forgó, Damjanovic serves clients from all over the world; a high percentage of its turnover is generated from foreign clients or multinational clients with a presence in Hungary. Foreign law firms regularly instruct Forgó, Damjanovic on their clients’ Hungarian legal needs. Most of the lawyers have gained foreign work experience at large international law firms or have studied abroad.
Areas of practice
Corporate & M&A: Forgó, Damjanovic offers clients specialist corporate/M&A advice. The partners’ extensive track record includes acting for Hungarian and international blue-chip companies, private equity and venture capital investors, leading corporate finance firms and high-net worth individual owners of target companies. Forgó, Damjanovic regularly acts as lead counsel on cross-border transactions in conjunction with foreign legal advisors, and on transactions referred by international law firms. The firm is typically instructed by clients in complex medium-sized or high-value transactions, mostly of a cross-border nature and requiring heavy documentation.
Dispute resolution: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners regularly acts in contentious cases before various courts and authorities, as well as international arbitration cases in a wide range of proceedings.
Banking and capital markets: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners offers specialist expertise for banking and capital markets services. The firm has represented numerous banks and corporate clients in banking and capital markets transactions, and provided financial enterprises and investment funds with legal advice on licensing and regulatory matters.
Labour and employment: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners is one of the leading labour/employment practices in Hungary, earning recommendations from international directories. The firm acts for international recruitment agencies, multinational corporations, major Hungarian enterprises and top managers and its services cover the full spectrum of labour and employment matters, with many of the assignments typically having international or cross-border aspects.
Life sciences and pharmaceuticals: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners is one of the few law firms in Hungary which offers niche expertise on legal matters affecting the life sciences and pharmaceuticals industry. The firm‘s extensive track record includes advising Hungarian and foreign producers of pharmaceuticals, food supplements and medical devices, pharmacy chains, industry associations, strategic and private equity investors and corporate finance firms specialising in the industry.
IP/TMT: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners has a solid and diverse IP practice, handling copyright matters, software licensing issues, trademark matters, domain name disputes and advising on patent related issues. The firm has acted for a number of blue-chip clients in the TMT industry, including telecommunication service providers and software and hardware companies applying new generation technologies.
Energy: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners advises energy clients on a wide range of matters. Its track record includes acting for energy companies, private equity investors, financing banks and energy consultancy firms.
Gaming/betting: Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners offers specialist advice on the legal issues of gaming/betting. Over years of working for major online and land-based gaming clients, it has developed niche expertise in this area. Its lawyers’ extensive track record includes advising operators and slot machine manufacturers, negotiating concession agreements, assisting other clients in gambling related issues, in addition to providing transactional and litigation/arbitration support in the gaming sector.
|Mergers and acquisitions|
|Banking and financing|
|Gaming, betting, licensing|
|Media, internet, e-commerce|
|Intellectual property rights|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 12
OtherContacts : Zoltán Forgó Contacts : Gábor Damjanovic
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners is a highly rated local business law firm based in Budapest, Hungary with very strong international ties. 75%+ of the work handled by the firm is cross-border work or assignments with significant international elements.
Almost all of the disputes (arbitration, as well as litigation) we handle concern foreign parties or laws and the transactions we work on are also of a cross-border nature, let them be standalone mandates or parts of global acquisitions.
Last year, we acted for clients from over two dozen jurisdiction and 5 continents. We are often called upon to act for the foreign headquarters of our clients in delicate matters where they do not want to use the counsels of their Hungarian subsidiaries.
Managing partner Gábor Damjanovic has been actively involved in the International Bar Association (IBA) for over 20 years, having attended over 70 conferences and forged friendships and good working relationships with numerous colleagues from all over the world. Gábor is an active arbitrator, listed by a number of arbitral institutions’ list of arbitrators (e.g. in Belgrade, Budapest, Seoul, Vienna and Warsaw), he is the Secretary-Treasurer of the Professional Ethics Committee of the IBA and the Hungarian member of ICC Fraudnet.