Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) > Belgrade, Serbia > Firm Profile
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) Offices
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) > The Legal 500 Rankings
Serbia > Dispute resolution Tier 2Full-service firm Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) fields a ‘highly responsive team with a results-driven approach‘. The practice acts for multinational corporations, as well as Serbian and Montenegrin companies, and regularly works alongside international law firms. Its coverage encompasses commercial, insurance, employment and insolvency-related litigation and arbitration, and it is also frequently sought out for major investor state disputes. Nenad Stankovic is ‘a go-to lawyer for complex disputes‘. At senior associate level, Sara Pendjer‘s track record includes acting for clients before both the courts and in arbitration hearings.
‘Highly responsive team with a results-driven approach.‘
‘Stankovic & Partners has an outstanding reputation for dispute resolution.‘
‘Well known for working on some of the highest profile matters in the Serbian market.‘
‘As an international group of companies, we value their international connections and ability to co-operate with other leading firms on cross-border issues.‘
‘They cover the full range of dispute resolution, from court proceedings at all levels – where the firm has an impressive track record of success – to domestic and international arbitration. We are impressed with their all-round service offering, the high quality of the team, strong client care ethos, and commercial approach to finding the most appropriate solutions.‘
‘Nenad Stankovic is a go-to lawyer for complex disputes.‘
‘Nenad Stankovic has impressive skills in advising on litigation strategy – we trust his advice.‘
‘Sara Pendjer is a talented lawyer, who has heavyweight dispute resolution knowledge and experience, great technical ability and client service. She always finds the best approach to resolving even the most complex of matters.‘
Unicredit Turnaround Management
- Representing Canadian company Rand Investments (as well as a number of other claimants, including Cypriot company Sembi Investment) in an international investment arbitration for breach of bilateral investment treaties between Canada and Serbia, and Cyprus and Serbia.
- Acted for BRIF TRES, and its wholly owned subsidiary BRIF T-C, in a €300m ICSID arbitration claim, which arose from the construction of a shopping centre in Belgrade and involved allegations of a breach of the investment treaty with the Belgium-Luxembourg Economic Union.
- Acting for Bulgarian company Kornikom EOOD in investment arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Serbia for the violation of the bilateral investment treaty between Serbia and Bulgaria.
Serbia > Banking and finance Tier 3Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) advises international financial institutions and borrowers on substantial cross-border financings (including acquisition, asset, real estate and project finance), along with major restructurings and insolvencies. A key client for the group is the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development. Name partner and banking and finance specialist Nenad Stankovic leads the department, and associate Luka Marosiuk‘s broad practice includes real estate, energy, infrastructure and insurance-related financings.
Other key lawyers:
British American Tobacco
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Serbian Innovation Fund
Heta Asset Resolution
Celanova group of companies
- Assisted Banjalucka pivara with numerous matters, including securing initial financing for the company.
- Advising Edelweiss Balance on several matters, including the assignment of an intercompany loan.
- Advising both foreign and domestic clients on a large banking litigation matter.
Other key lawyers:
‘A full-service law firm that provides a prompt and user-friendly service.‘
‘Extraordinary professionalism and preparation and prompt responses.‘
British American Tobacco
Titantex SRL Unipersonale
Aelius SARL Luxembourg
- Advising Apatinska pivara (part of Molson Coors) on a range of corporate and commercial issues.
- Advised MacGregor Norway (as local counsel) on the implementation of changes in relation to the management structure of its Serbian subsidiary.
- Advised Swiss company Edelweiss Balance on the acquisition of shares in Serbian company AB Energo, a specialist in electricity trading, from Netherlands-based Edelveys Holding.
Serbia > Competition Tier 3Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) is a ‘go-to adviser in Serbia‘. The practice is co-led by name partner Nenad Stankovic, whose track record includes handling cartel and abuse of dominance cases and merger clearances, and of counsel Milos Androvic, whose expertise covers cases involving abuse of dominance and restrictive agreements, merger control and corporate compliance. Androvic also provides training on regional regulatory frameworks. Attorney at law Mitar Simonovic is ‘building an impressive competition practice‘.
Other key lawyers:
‘An impressive competition offering that we utilise for everything, from formal proceedings to general compliance and risk management advice on commercial contracts.‘
‘Our go-to adviser in Serbia.‘
‘We value its heavyweight expertise, as well as the team’s international approach – something that is important to us as an international group of companies.‘
‘Their commercial perspective continues to be instrumental in saving us time and money, and they are able to assist with complex negotiations with the competition authorities.‘
‘Great when one needs an expert for extremely complex matters.‘
‘Nenad Stankovic is an excellent legal adviser and client manager, who ensures that all of our work is handled efficiently and effectively.‘
‘Milos Androvic’s knowledge of the market and EU-wide competition law is truly outstanding.‘
‘Mitar Simonovic is building an impressive competition practice. We utilise his services for a wide range of matters, particularly in relation to exclusive agreement test analyses, an area where we value his legal and commercial expertise.‘
Apatinska pivara Apatin
- Advising Apatinska Pivara, part of the Molson Coors group, on the competition aspects of agreements concerning sales and distribution.
- Advising Imlek on key agreements concerning the production of milk and dairy products, and whether these fall under the exemption regime.
Serbia > Employment Tier 3Employment law is a core area of expertise for Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW). The practice led by name partner Nenad Stankovic advises domestic and international clients on restructuring and redundancy matters, employment disputes, contract and document reviews, and day-to-day issues. The group’s experience also encompasses union negotiations, health and safety matters, employee data protection, immigration, insurance and pensions issues. In addition to a well-established employer-side practice, the team advises high-profile directors and senior executives.
Other key lawyers:
‘A highly reputable office.‘
‘From my experience, they are very knowledgeable.‘
‘They cover all the areas of law that we as a company need – collaboration is smooth and fast, and they are very responsive.‘
‘An efficient, precise and complete team.‘
‘Nenad Stankovic is a very well-known lawyer, who is well respected and has been of great support to us.‘
‘Nenad Stankovic and Jelena Zivkovic are excellent.‘
Apatinska Brewery (Molson Coors group member)
- Advising Apatinska pivara (a Molson Coors Group member) on various employment matters, including employees’ salaries, contract terminations, immigration permits for employees, personal data issues, and employment-related arbitration.
- Providing ongoing employment advice to Takeda Pharmaceuticals, ranging from redundancy and downsizing exercises to employment negotiations and disputes.
- Advising CCBill on all aspects of employment law in Serbia, as well as the assignment of employees to work abroad, including policies, procedures and employment contracts, among other issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tijana Kovacevic is responsible, cooperative and highly qualified, and she is always available whenever I need her.‘
‘Tijana Kovacevic had answers to all my doubts and questions, and she offered multiple solutions. I was very pleased to work with her, and I will definitely recommend her to colleagues.‘
Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences
Monster Energy Company
- Assisted Takeda Pharmaceuticals with a range of compliance issues, including the implementation of a global Takeda HR management system in Serbia that involved complex data protection matters.
- Advised Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences on complex matters concerning the ownership of IP rights, arising out of projects developed by the institute’s researchers.
- Advised Monster Energy on various IP matters relating to its Serbian and international operations.
Serbia > Projects and energy Tier 3Acting for multinationals, domestic entities and public sector organisations, Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW)‘s broad energy, natural resources and projects offering ranges from project development to procurement work, corporate transactions and project financing. Areas of particular expertise include renewables (covering hydroelectric, agricultural biomass and biogas-related matters), waste management, infrastructure projects and privatisation matters. International business law specialist Nenad Stankovic is routinely sought out for energy and infrastructure development projects in Serbia and Montenegro.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies
- Advised Veolia on a precedent-setting PPP project with the Municipality of Vrbas for the management and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Acting as local counsel to Kornikom EOOD Bulgaria in investment arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Serbia, which concerned the purchase of 70% of the capital of the Kovin coal mine.
- Advised META Group for International Development Ireland (and the European Commission’s Directorate-General for European Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations) on the Western Balkans Proof of Concept Scheme project, which aims to assist with taking promising inventions in the Western Balkans to market.
- Advising an affiliate of UniCredit Bank on various issues relating to the acquisition and development of distressed real estate.
- Advised Heta Asset Resolution (a wind-down company owned by the Republic of Austria) on various issues regarding the leasing, management and disposal of real estate assets.
- Representing Crveni signal, a large driving school, in a number of disputes involving property in central Belgrade.
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) > Firm Profile
The firm: Established in 2010 by the attorney Nenad Stankovic, Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) is a full-service firm located in Belgrade, Serbia, with a team of experts who advise multinational corporations and Serbian and Montenegrin companies, often acting in co-operation with well known international law firms.
Most of the firm’s lawyers have previously held senior positions at highly respected international and national firms. They also often speak at major international conferences, and contribute to leading national and international publications.
Stankovic & Partners is now well established as one of the leading commercial firms in the Serbian market, providing advice on banking and finance, corporate and M&A, restructuring and insolvency, commercial and regulatory, competition/antitrust, real estate, dispute resolution, privatisation, public procurement, intellectual property, capital markets, energy, mining and infrastructure, employment, tax, telecoms and technology.
The firm’s clients include many leading global corporations as well as some of the largest Serbian and Montenegrin companies and financial services firms, entrepreneurs and national local government institutions.
The firm has received a number of national and international accolades, including recommendations by Chambers & Partners’ Europe and Global Guides, The Legal 500 EMEA, and IFLR.
The firm’s international links include membership of Nextlaw Global Referral Network, the largest legal referral network in the world, and the Legal Network Alliance, a carefully selected global alliance of independent law firms.
The firm’s lawyers have worked with the respected international legal publications Getting the Deal Through since 2012, preparing its annual M&A overview for the Republic of Serbia.
Stankovic & Partners acts for clients carrying out business in Montenegro in co-operation with Kastravoic Law Office in Podgorica.
Areas of practice: At Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) banking and finance is a core area of practice. The firm has considerable experience of acting for major international and domestic financial institutions, as agents, senior lenders or syndicate members, as well as for borrowers from a variety of sectors, on a range of financing transactions. These include corporate and investment grade lending, leveraged and acquisition finance, asset finance and leasing, real estate development finance and cross-border intercompany loans.
In addition, with their acclaimed knowledge of the Serbian energy market, the team boasts award-winning expertise in project finance, as well as an impressive track record of success in big-ticket debt restructuring and reorganisation. On the borrower side, the firm assists clients with the financing of acquisitions and mergers, loans for funding new equipment or working capital, and a host of other projects. In addition, Stankovic & Partners offers a wealth of expertise in financial regulatory issues, while their experienced dispute resolution team has notable skill in resolving problems and enforcing security.
The office has developed in-depth expertise in all aspects of Serbian, Montenegrin and Bosnian competition and antitrust law. The firm advises clients from a wide range of sectors on obtaining merger clearance, handling complex processes from start to finish. They also advise their international clients on distribution and franchising networks, conducting antitrust audits and ensuring that their commercial practices remain compliant with local law. State aid and public procurement also form significant elements of Stankovic & Partners’ practice, and the firm has considerable experience providing training to key business personnel on all aspects of competition regulation and practices.
When contentious issues arise, including cartel allegations and follow-on claims, the competition group works closely with the firm’s large and highly regarded dispute resolution team to represent clients before the competition authorities and courts of Serbia, Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The firm enjoys a particularly fast-growing reputation in the intellectual property arena, where their sizeable dedicated IP and data protection team supports domestic and international clients on everything from intensive portfolio management and IP prosecution and protection strategies, to advice on exploiting image rights and IP due diligence in the context of some of the region’s largest M&A transactions and financings. The group is also widely admired for its expertise in data protection and privacy matters, where they assist a number of well-known international clients with data project and cross-border data transfer, and on advertising and marketing, having, for example, prepared the sponsorship agreements relating to the two biggest music festivals in Serbia as well as the Serbian Premier League and the national football team.
|Banking, finance and capital markets|
|Dispute resolution/commercial litigation|
|Energy, infrastructure and PPP|
|IT and data protection|
|Mergers and acquisitions|
|Real estate and construction|
|Healthcare and pharmaceuticals|
|Restructuring and insolvency|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 10
MembershipsLegal Netlink Alliance Nextlaw Global Referral Network
OtherOther offices : Podgorica
Press Releases21st April 2017
On April 25, 2017, American Chamber of Commerce in Serbia and Law office Stankovic and Partners organize a Briefing Session on Data Protection in Arbitration Cases. This event is intended for all the peers interested in finding our more about the challenges with document discovery in arbitration procedure, from the standpoint of data protection issues, local laws and regulations, including international practice. Also, this opportunity will be used to explain data protection during discovery process, including the best international practices. Special emphasis will be placed on the framework of Article 48 of the new EU law (applicable as of May 2018), as well as other relevant issues. The speakers will be Andrej Savin, Associate Professor, Copenhagen Business School, Philip Punwar, Partner at Baker Botts LLP, expert in international arbitration, and Nenad Stankovic, Attorney at Law, Stankovic and Partners.